Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Spencer Gifts? What did you buy / shoplift when you were kid?

They had the best posters. Looking back, it was a very diddly experience; I remember tingling every time I walked in!

by Anonymousreply 27April 5, 2020 8:17 PM

I used to love the room in the back with the blacklight posters, but the only thing I remember buying was the flavored lip balm that was always right next to the cashier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1April 4, 2020 10:28 AM

OP is a childhood Grifter.

by Anonymousreply 2April 4, 2020 10:34 AM

Lamps of course, that's what they were know for.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3April 4, 2020 10:35 AM

Plasma Lamp

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4April 4, 2020 10:37 AM

Spent many minutes pawing through their greeting cards, ogling the ones featuring shirtless men.

Never bought any of them of course.

Next stop, the poster rack featuring the Dukes of Hazzard.

Moline, Illinois’ Southpark Mall. I wonder if the 1982 calendar selection at Waldenbooks is worth checking out?

by Anonymousreply 5April 4, 2020 10:37 AM

Fiber Optic Lamps

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6April 4, 2020 10:39 AM

R1 When I was 14, my dream job was to be a cashier at Spencer Gifts. Then I 'grew up' , attended a liberal arts college (which I loved!), graduated with a degree that offered no jobs, and was able to live my dream of being a cashier at Spencer Gifts. Best years of my life!

by Anonymousreply 7April 4, 2020 10:43 AM

I bought a lot of the gag-type items from the backs of comic books instead of from Spencer Gifts, and then I started getting a catalog called “Things You Never Knew Existed (Bit Couldn’t Possibly Live Without).”

But in the late 90s, there was a short-lived 60skitaxh renaissance, and my parents let me outfit their basement in stuff and I think most of it came from Spencer Gifts and Tower Records. I put up a motorized mirror ball hung from the drop ceiling tiles, with pin lights that had colored lenses. On the walls were blacklight-responsive psychedelic Volkswagen bus/beetle and happy face posters, and I got an inflatable magenta chair that was actually very comfortable but I didn’t sit in a lot because it was squeaky.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8April 4, 2020 10:45 AM

R8 I wish I could have visited with you in your basement! We would have squeaked that inflatable chair so hard your parents could hear.

by Anonymousreply 9April 4, 2020 10:54 AM

I bought their zip popper through their mail-order catalogue, amongst other useless plastic crap. I ate that shit up.

by Anonymousreply 10April 4, 2020 10:59 AM

R9 When I moved to my first apartment, my roommate and I had no living room furniture and so I provided my inflatable chair and foot stool and she bought a $199 sofa from Ikea. The sofa was rickety and uncomfortable and so she mostly sat in the chair or else we both sat on the floor most of the time. The squeaking was really annoying! But the chair served us well as actual furniture for two years.

by Anonymousreply 11April 4, 2020 11:01 AM

R8 You bought stuff from the backs of comic books -- I wonder if it was the same stuff I bought from Bazooka Joe comics??

Thanks for the link but I'm sorry that company went out of business. I wonder why? It looked like it really filled a need!

by Anonymousreply 12April 4, 2020 11:10 AM

R10 What's a zip popper?

by Anonymousreply 13April 4, 2020 11:13 AM

I’m surprised no one has mentioned the Pet Horny Toad yet:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14April 4, 2020 11:17 AM

Or the Around the World in Bed board game:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15April 4, 2020 11:19 AM

R14 I remember! And how great that you still have one -- or at least could provide us with a picture. Priceless!

by Anonymousreply 16April 4, 2020 11:24 AM

I learned that there was such a thing as Edible Underwear at the tender age of 12 when I accidentally wandered into a Spencer’s Gift shop at our local mall

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17April 4, 2020 11:25 AM

[R15] Omg, shocked me as a kid that a board game could be so unlike "Monopoly," until Spencer started selling "Hop, Skip, and Hump."

by Anonymousreply 18April 4, 2020 11:49 AM

Anything Kiss related.

by Anonymousreply 19April 4, 2020 12:00 PM

Sea Monkeys! Which turned out to be a complete ripoff—just brine shrimp

by Anonymousreply 20April 4, 2020 12:03 PM

I remember when the front wall nearest the entrance was covered in FRANKIE SAY RELAX shirts. *sigh*

by Anonymousreply 21April 4, 2020 12:04 PM

Fart in a can.

by Anonymousreply 22April 4, 2020 12:29 PM

They're usually the only legacy store left in most malls. They've always appealed to 14 year old boys and smart enough not to change their business model.

by Anonymousreply 23April 4, 2020 12:33 PM

They exist but are a shadow of their former selves

by Anonymousreply 24April 4, 2020 12:44 PM

At my local mall in Ohio in the 80s, Spencer Gifts (we just called it "Spencer's") would limit the number of unaccompanied teens in the store at a time which only made me determined to get in there. And then once I got in there I just looked at the posters and the overpriced light-up crap. I've probably been in that store 100 times in my life and never bought a damn thing.

by Anonymousreply 25April 4, 2020 1:23 PM

R6!!! Yes, I was totally going to mention these. My aunt & uncle gave me one as a gift. So groovy.

by Anonymousreply 26April 4, 2020 9:06 PM

bump

by Anonymousreply 27April 5, 2020 8:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!