Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'Beane's of Boston' - failed US version of 'Are You Being Served?'

I found this last night while poking around the Internet -- had no idea it existed.

A terrible remake with Charlotte Rae as Mrs. Slocombe (!), Alan Sues from "Laugh-In" as Mr. Humphries, and only one good casting choice .... John Hillerman as Captain Peacock (here's it's "Mr." Peacock). There's also Tom Poston in old-age makeup as Mr. Beane and some nonentity invented for the American version playing his nephew.

Only Hillerman has the proper hauteur and sense of timing to make the silliness work. Rae basically plays it as Mrs. Garrett in a department store.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25May 23, 2020 1:58 AM

That was George Jetson's son.

by Anonymousreply 1April 3, 2020 1:40 AM

The commercials are better than the show. $3,999 for a new car?

by Anonymousreply 2April 3, 2020 1:48 AM

r1

He was a very good-looking

by Anonymousreply 3May 15, 2020 12:56 AM

Thanks, I never knew this existed!

by Anonymousreply 4May 15, 2020 1:14 AM

I LOVE Are You Being Served? And Charlotte Rae! Thank you so much for sharing!

by Anonymousreply 5May 15, 2020 1:26 AM

With Garry Marshall behind it, it was bound to be corny.

by Anonymousreply 6May 15, 2020 1:34 AM

There's only one Mr. Bean!!!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7May 15, 2020 1:35 AM

Mrs. Slocombe without the funny hair dyes????!?!!!?!?!?!!!

WRONG

by Anonymousreply 8May 15, 2020 1:46 AM

The fat Mr. Humphries is VERY creepy and not funny at all. If Paul Lynde and Peter Lorre had a lovechild ...

by Anonymousreply 9May 15, 2020 1:47 AM

Oh my God that was bad. I can’t believe I watched the whole thing! I did fall asleep at one point ;) I love Are You Being Served!

George O'Hanlon, Jr as Franklin Beane - what a fucking hot wife of ass, but could not act at all. Agreed, John Hillerman was good along with Morgan Farley as Mr. Granger. The rest zzzzzzz.... Tom Poston was the worst. Why would Charlotte Rae take a role like this towards the end of her run on Diff’rent Strokes and at the start of The Facts of Life? What the what?

by Anonymousreply 10May 15, 2020 1:59 AM

^piece of ass^ but I’d happily make him my wife.

by Anonymousreply 11May 15, 2020 2:01 AM

George O’Hanlon Jr also starred as Ned Nickerson in the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys Mysteries..

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12May 15, 2020 2:12 AM

I wonder if he ever did scenes with Parker Stevenson Oh my!

by Anonymousreply 13May 15, 2020 2:16 AM

It's just not the same without Mrs. Slocombe's pussy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14May 15, 2020 2:17 AM

Thank you r14 - that was like a palate cleanser. I laughed more in during at one minute and forty five second collection of clips than through all of Beane‘s of Boston.

by Anonymousreply 15May 15, 2020 2:27 AM

So lousy I couldn't even watch to the end, and didn't laugh once.

by Anonymousreply 16May 15, 2020 3:58 AM

Alan Sues was wrong for Mr Humphries role.

The real problem is no store in America EVER operated like this.

And German Week was on of the weakest episodes of AYBS, so another script should've been used in the pilot.

by Anonymousreply 17May 15, 2020 5:10 AM

This is terrible!

I thought, with Charlotte Rae and John Hillerman in the pivotal parts, how could you possibly go wrong?

They somehow managed to!

by Anonymousreply 18May 15, 2020 6:07 AM

They could have made it work if they wanted to, recasting and rescripting.

But I don't think Garry Marshall ever did a show that aired on CBS — they considered him low class.

by Anonymousreply 19May 15, 2020 6:59 AM

This is so bad I had to watch it again to convince myself it really occurred. It was such a weak, random episode of the original to adapt as the pilot.

George O'Hanlon was so wooden I'm shocked he made it to taping without being recast. He was cute, though.

The rest of the casting was perfect on paper, but only John Hillerman was any good. Charlotte Rae looks like she hates every minute of being there. Lorna Patterson missed the point of Miss Brahms, as others noted. Alan Sues just way overdid it—Humphries was a snakelike queen, not Paul Lynde. Even Tom Poston sucked.

by Anonymousreply 20May 16, 2020 4:27 AM

wow, really awful. easy to see why it never made it to production.

by Anonymousreply 21May 16, 2020 5:25 AM

Awful, but I kind of want more episodes. Too bad Korman I’m gone.

by Anonymousreply 22May 16, 2020 11:00 PM

Lorna Patterson was NOT Mrs Brahms directly. Just as George O'Hanlon was not old "Jug Ears."

Only George Poston and Alan Sues were miscast. George being too young, they way the second Mr Grace was "too young." And Alan Sues was just awful as he was just awful even on Laugh-In

by Anonymousreply 23May 17, 2020 2:12 AM

agreed with all the comments, especially R20. shame as this had potential. and I love the original version

by Anonymousreply 24May 17, 2020 2:39 AM

r23

Yes

by Anonymousreply 25May 23, 2020 1:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!