Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Alternative Disinfectants

Since rubbing alcohol and hand sanitizer are both pretty much out of stock in most areas here are a couple of alternatives. The mouthwash I've been using for over 50 years is Dr. Tichenors. It's a concentrated mouthwash. You mix 1 part DT and 5 parts water. It can also be used as a sanitizer and disinfectant. Full strength it will kill most any germ or virus. Trust me, you definitely wouldn't want to use it as a mouthwash full strength. I see it's still available in most store that sell it. Apparently few have figured out it has other uses than as a mouthwash. It's generally around $5.00 or less per bottle (pay no attention to the prices you see on Ebay, etc - it's $4.96/ea at Walmart). But one bottle will last you a very long time

Also, Listerine is a good disinfectant and can be used to clean surfaces and hands if need be. The generic brands such as the Equate brand at Walmart are just as good as name brand Listerine. Dollar Tree even has a generic brand and it is just as strong as the real thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 30, 2020 2:43 PM

Unfortunately they color the Dollar Tree version with pig urine.

by Anonymousreply 1March 30, 2020 1:53 PM

This is fucking ridiculous that we’re having to resort to this.

Also, all the wound care sprays/solutions are out of stock. So, good luck if, like me, you have a huge open gash on your leg that you need to keep clean.

OP, if people take your advice to hoard listerine, other people are going to lose their teeth because of gingivitis. People like me are going to lose their legs and then wind up going septic if ER contraction of COVID doesn’t take them out first.

This is harmful.

by Anonymousreply 2March 30, 2020 2:10 PM

Boric acid 3% will kill most germs. You can buy it from school supply shops. Mouthwash with chlorhexidine will do the trick too, but it will be too expensive.

by Anonymousreply 3March 30, 2020 2:11 PM

R2, just where the hell did I advise anyone to "hoard" Listerine? I simply advised people if they couldn't find the regular hand sanitizers they could use the ones I suggested as alternatives.

Frankly, you sound like some officious queen who has poor reading comprehension so you just put whatever meaning into what you read that satisfies you.

by Anonymousreply 4March 30, 2020 2:43 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!