Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Birds are singing at 3am in NYC

And it's keeping me awake.

I love birds, but they're being arrogant little fuckers about this quarantine.

by Anonymousreply 75April 3, 2020 2:10 PM

There's something super scary about birds (with the exception of owls) making noises at night. It just sounds so unnatural.

by Anonymousreply 1March 30, 2020 7:29 AM

Why do birds sing so, ho-mo-sex'ul

And why are the gays so intellectual

by Anonymousreply 2March 30, 2020 7:35 AM

Are you in Brooklyn? It’s the same over here. It is unsettling to hear birds at 3 am in the morning

by Anonymousreply 3March 30, 2020 7:44 AM

You gonna die in 7 days

by Anonymousreply 4March 30, 2020 7:47 AM

There's a technological reason for that, OP. Unfortunately.

by Anonymousreply 5March 30, 2020 9:53 AM

Birds sing to mark and defend their territories.

by Anonymousreply 6March 30, 2020 10:25 AM

We were trying to lighten the mood with our songs you ungrateful wench. Snow White never bitched like this.

by Anonymousreply 7March 30, 2020 10:58 AM

They've started singing here outside my pad in Seattle on Lower Queen Anne for a few days. They're not supposed to start singing until the sun fucking comes up, not at five in the morning when it's still dark. This is the first time in the 22 years of living in this location I've heard birds singing before there was even a glimmer of light in the Eastern sky.

by Anonymousreply 8March 30, 2020 11:50 AM

I woke at 3:00 am, birds were loud. Like 6:30 am loud. Why?

by Anonymousreply 9March 30, 2020 11:58 AM

I’ve had crows yelling their heads off at around 3am as they stomp around my slate roof like they’re having a knock around game of football. Spring behaviour?

by Anonymousreply 10March 30, 2020 12:07 PM

[quote] They're not supposed to start singing until the sun fucking comes up, not at five in the morning when it's still dark.

When I lived in Louisiana, the roosters started crowing at 3am well before sunrise.

by Anonymousreply 11March 30, 2020 12:10 PM

[quote] It is unsettling to hear birds at 3 am in the morning

It would be even more unsettling to hear them at 3 am in the afternoon.

by Anonymousreply 12March 30, 2020 12:15 PM

Do what every other NYer does.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13March 30, 2020 12:15 PM

It’s not like you have to go anywhere OP.

by Anonymousreply 14March 30, 2020 12:15 PM

They sing at night early in the Spring because it's mating-time. The weather starts to warm up and they get to work. Also, as Spring advances, more birds fly north, so you'll have more birds in the northern part of the continent. I'm in N GA and locals are photographing all kinds of exotic birds that are just passing through right now (especially kinds of ducks). You probably hear the singing this year because there is a lot less ambient noise from cars, trucks and airplanes to drown out their songs in big cities. Down here, it is the mockingbirds who are the most crazed about singing in the darkest part of the night, repeating the same "phrase" over and over and over again.

by Anonymousreply 15March 30, 2020 12:24 PM

Old Eldergay yells at cloud. Just get over it dude.

by Anonymousreply 16March 30, 2020 12:27 PM

[quote]They sing at night early in the Spring because it's mating-time.

So basically, R15, they're all yelling "WHO WANTS TO FUCK ME!!!!" like they're on an Atlantis cruise. Good to know.

by Anonymousreply 17March 30, 2020 12:28 PM

AND most of em are just drunk...

by Anonymousreply 18March 30, 2020 12:36 PM

[quote] So basically, R15, they're all yelling "WHO WANTS TO FUCK ME!!!!" like they're on an Atlantis cruise. Good to know.

Or me at the cruising area.

by Anonymousreply 19March 30, 2020 12:44 PM

[quote]There's a technological reason for that, OP. Unfortunately.

Please educate us R5.

by Anonymousreply 20March 30, 2020 1:30 PM

There is also way less street noise so you are more aware of it

by Anonymousreply 21March 30, 2020 1:42 PM

Far as birds and other wildlife are concerned it is 4am, not 3am. Just because humans have stupid laws about turning clocks ahead or back one hour Mother Nature does her own thing.

Noticed same the other morning ; but again birds have their own internal clocks that have nothing to do with what "time" it says on a clock or watch. And once one bird starts the rest wake up and chime in; sort of like roll call.

by Anonymousreply 22March 30, 2020 1:43 PM

Sorry got that response muddled.

Sratch the "3am/4am bit" and just remember wildlife have their own internal clocks that have nothing to do with human time.

by Anonymousreply 23March 30, 2020 1:45 PM

They’re hormonal little buggers out cruising at 3 am, just like you horny Grindr queens.

by Anonymousreply 24March 30, 2020 1:51 PM

The males sing and they are advertising. Singing is energetically expensive for birds. By singing they are saying, "Look at me, I am in such good physical shape, I can waste energy. I'd make a good husband"

They are also saying, "See how loud and far my song carries, I'm a fit bird, so any other male birds, stay out of my space or I'll kick your ass."

Some birds like mockingbirds sing round the clock whenever it suits them.

by Anonymousreply 25March 30, 2020 2:22 PM

If it’s dark outside you’re hearing a mockingbird or a nightjar. Probably a mockingbird. The males sing at night to attract a mate. They’re handsome birds & their “song” is most likely imitations of other birds. Mockingbirds are great imitators. They can imitate alarm clocks, cellphone rings (one in a park near me used to do a perfect phone ring back in the day of flip phones), dripping water, typewriters back in the day (including the sound of the “ding” at the end, and the readjustment of the carriage)

There’s nothing supernatural or eerie about it. Just goes to show how little people pay attention to the world around them & how lazy they are that they can’t bother to do a search for “birds that sing at night,” i preferring instead to attribute supernatural meaning to something that’s been going on since the dawn of time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 30, 2020 2:23 PM

I used to live in Calgary and you could hear the birds at about 3am

by Anonymousreply 27March 30, 2020 2:25 PM

[quote]”Look at me, I am in such good physical shape, I can waste energy. I'd make a good husband"

Bitch, don’t nobody want a husband! I’m just looking for an NSA hookup.

by Anonymousreply 28March 30, 2020 2:27 PM

It is weird, the city sounds are now just birds and sirens.

by Anonymousreply 29March 30, 2020 2:40 PM

I'm in Athens GA, and at night it's so quiet it's like being up in the mountains, or someplace like that. The only noticeable sound is the refrigerator...

by Anonymousreply 30March 30, 2020 3:53 PM

Yeah, the birds near me have been way chattier than they've been in the past. I'm super happy for nature. Fuck us humans honestly. I support their revolution.

by Anonymousreply 31March 30, 2020 3:56 PM

They're obviously millennial birds getting back from the bars

by Anonymousreply 32March 30, 2020 4:04 PM

Well as there aren't any bars open in NYC atm (thanks to PAUSE order), that would be quite a feat.

by Anonymousreply 33March 31, 2020 2:22 AM

R26

Word "nightjar" always puts me in mind of song "Come Down In Time"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 31, 2020 2:24 AM

The 3AM birds have always been around you people just don't usually pay attention to your surroundings. You see and hear amazing things when you don't ignore the natural world.

by Anonymousreply 35March 31, 2020 2:27 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 31, 2020 3:32 AM

Fly birds

Back to the sky

Back to the eaves and the leaves

And the fields and the castles and ponds

GODDAMN IT

by Anonymousreply 37March 31, 2020 6:33 AM

I sometimes wonder if all the nightlights in big cities confuse birds into thinking dawn is coming and its time to sing.

by Anonymousreply 38March 31, 2020 6:51 AM

Tampa here. Had a mockingbird for 2 years that would sing every night from about midnight to just before dawn. He would sing a phrase three times, then another, then another and would repeat all over again. It seemed so much louder with the stillness of the night. Love to lay in bed and listen as I drifted off to sleep. It was glorious!

by Anonymousreply 39March 31, 2020 7:22 AM

Mockingbirds are fucking nuts. They sing day and night.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 40March 31, 2020 7:25 AM

It's in accordance with the prophesy.

by Anonymousreply 41March 31, 2020 7:37 AM

OMG it's 3:48 and they won't shut up.

by Anonymousreply 42March 31, 2020 7:48 AM

It;s 4:40 and a bird has started singing in Brooklyn. I live across from Prospect Park.

by Anonymousreply 43March 31, 2020 8:42 AM

They've been going since 3:30 in the East Village.

by Anonymousreply 44March 31, 2020 8:53 AM

[quote]Well as there aren't any bars open in NYC atm (thanks to PAUSE order), that would be quite a feat. There are lots of bars still open. The kind that you aren't welcome at

by Anonymousreply 45March 31, 2020 9:44 AM

Get a white noise app for your phone, OP. Play it when you want to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 46March 31, 2020 11:02 AM

You in danger gurl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 31, 2020 11:16 AM

[quote] He would sing a phrase three times, then another, then another and would repeat all over again.

Maybe that’s the only song he knows, the poor thing.

by Anonymousreply 48March 31, 2020 1:40 PM

I love the sound of birds I don’t know how it could keep anybody up at night. Even jays are soothing.

by Anonymousreply 49March 31, 2020 2:50 PM

R49 - it's the inanely repeated phrase from the mockingbirds that gets to you; it goes on and on, repeated exactly the same way, for minutes at a time without changing.

by Anonymousreply 50March 31, 2020 4:55 PM

I live in New York and I love it. They are cheering the hospital workers , like the New Yorkers who clap at 7 PM.

by Anonymousreply 51March 31, 2020 4:59 PM

I'm not in NY but there is a scrub jay that seemingly now lives in my back yard. I'd get some bird feed but he/she seems plump and healthy enough. I haven't decided on a name yet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52April 1, 2020 12:08 AM

Are they singing Green Finch and Linnet Bird?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53April 1, 2020 12:32 AM

It's from these fucking new LED street lights OP. It's the same thing here in Queens.

by Anonymousreply 54April 1, 2020 12:36 AM

^ that sucks that the light pollution has the poor birds all mixed up

by Anonymousreply 55April 1, 2020 12:39 AM

Don’t name wild animals. It’s bad luck for them.

by Anonymousreply 56April 1, 2020 1:31 AM

[quote] ^ that sucks that the light pollution has the poor birds all mixed up

Birds aren’t “messed up.” Mockingbirds sing at night & other birds start singing before dawn. Its normal. Just because a mockingbird happens to be audible in your neighborhood doesn’t mean the world has changed or anything is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 57April 1, 2020 1:34 AM

Why do birds suddenly appear every time you are near?

by Anonymousreply 58April 1, 2020 1:36 AM

R57 I noticed immediately the birds singing at night once the new LED street light were installed in my neighborhood. So they are indeed "messed up".

by Anonymousreply 59April 1, 2020 3:54 AM

Wild animals are loving are disappearance. Just enjoy their happiness. At least, someone is enjoy their best life.

by Anonymousreply 60April 1, 2020 4:05 AM

The rats have become much bolder since there are less people to frighten them off. This afternoon, I was walking down the street and there were two of them right in the middle of the sidewalk, not even practicing social distancing.

by Anonymousreply 61April 1, 2020 4:06 AM

[quote] Wild animals are loving are disappearance.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 62April 1, 2020 4:27 AM

oh deer

by Anonymousreply 63April 1, 2020 4:28 AM

Thank you, R34. I hadn’t heard or even thought about that song in decades. That came off an album that I played over and over again when I was 14 or15. The song is as beautiful to me now as it was then. I can’t believe I was ever that young.

by Anonymousreply 64April 1, 2020 4:48 AM

Temps dropped a little in the South last night, and because of this thread, I noticed that the mockingbirds didn't start to sing until about 6 a.m. this morning, instead of the usual 3:30 lately...

by Anonymousreply 65April 1, 2020 12:03 PM

Mockingbirds sing at night if they want to mate.

by Anonymousreply 66April 1, 2020 12:12 PM

The robins in Brooklyn were up at 3 this morning

by Anonymousreply 67April 1, 2020 1:35 PM

As long as they’re not singing to you in Greek, you’re probably okay.

by Anonymousreply 68April 1, 2020 2:51 PM

[quote] [R57] I noticed immediately the birds singing at night once the new LED street light were installed in my neighborhood. So they are indeed "messed up"

Birds have been dealing with street lighting for years, dimwit.

Many flocks of birds migrate at night. They call to each other to stay together.

Welcome to spring, DL.

Mockingbirds sing at night. It’s nothing new. It’s as old as time. Just because you only noticed it recently is meaningless.

Birds will continue singing before dawn. It’s called ....get this.....the dawn chorus.

It peaks in May.

by Anonymousreply 69April 2, 2020 2:46 AM

I'm not sure there's fucking mockingbirds here in Queens NY, dimwit R69

by Anonymousreply 70April 3, 2020 2:53 AM

r70 Mockingbirds live in New York City year-round.

[quote]The northern mockingbird is a species that is found in both urban and rural habitats. There are now more northern mockingbirds living in urban habitats than non-urban environments, so they are consequently known as an urban-positive species.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71April 3, 2020 6:14 AM

This thread has given me an idea for another bad movie!!!

by Anonymousreply 72April 3, 2020 10:38 AM

They're hoarding our toilet paper!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73April 3, 2020 10:47 AM

R70, they’re mocking you.

by Anonymousreply 74April 3, 2020 12:48 PM

[quote]I was walking down the street and there were two of them right in the middle of the sidewalk, not even practicing social distancing.

Rats don't get coronaviruses, they don't have to practice it.

by Anonymousreply 75April 3, 2020 2:10 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!