Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

USA Coronavirus patients will have to pay for their healthcare?

That's fucked up.

In my Third World crappy Central American country if you are suspected or diagnosed with it, no matter how much money you have to pay for private hospitals you are transferred to a (hastily) put up emergency hospital. No exceptions. They won't charge you tho.

We have 34 cases, and 1 dead. This Sunday will be two weeks since lockdown.

The effects on the economy will be horrible. And I (or my family) will be affected on our family business.

by Anonymousreply 13March 30, 2020 1:09 PM

sadly it's true, the testing is free but the treatment is not!

by Anonymousreply 1March 30, 2020 6:49 AM

At 10 years old, I was vocally anti-Vietnam. A social justice warrior in short pants. There was always an uncomfortable feeling deep inside me that something wasn't right with the outside world. My world was safe, or as safe as anybody's world could be.

If you had told me that now, 50 years later, that sense of the outside world, and the heads of state who are ultimately responsible for the health and well being of millions, interest themselves in profit rather than peace and order, I'd've more than likely ignored you with a polite smile.

Whilst I believe some sort of societal order will eventually be restored, it's going to be a long time. And the ramifications of the present way of ignoring the basic needs of those who are most in need and helpless, will not fade away.

Different plague, same brainless, venal cunts in charge.

by Anonymousreply 2March 30, 2020 7:00 AM

Don't be such an asshole OP, in a third world country it's free, but you get third world medicine.

You're not getting anywhere near the standard.

by Anonymousreply 3March 30, 2020 7:39 AM

What ? Even the gov pays for everything for their citizens in China during this pandemic

by Anonymousreply 4March 30, 2020 7:51 AM

R4 there is no "even", most countries from Asia to EU to Canada to South America offered free treatment for coronavirus patients, the question here is why USA is not one of those countries.

by Anonymousreply 5March 30, 2020 8:09 AM

R3 third world medicine? there is no medicine for covid-19, you need a ventilator if you are dying of a damaged lung. America might have 1st world higher standard ventilator, but the bad new is, you don't have enough ventilators to save everyone. Less than 5% patients who need one can get one, that's what happened in Italy, and it's been repeated in USA right now.

by Anonymousreply 6March 30, 2020 8:33 AM

r3 I received better healthcare in Thailand than I did in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 7March 30, 2020 8:50 AM

Trump said two insurance companies are waiving co-pays for CV treatment. Not sure how that’s going to work since co-pays are paid to providers from patients. It’s the part the insurance company doesn’t pay.

by Anonymousreply 8March 30, 2020 9:24 AM

I agree with r2 :

"And the ramifications of the present way of ignoring the basic needs of those who are most in need and helpless, will not fade away."

Also in regards to getting 3rd world care, Google USA healthcare ranking. High birth deaths, and we recently went BACKWARDS on life expectancy. USA provides 3rd world care, while corporate insurance companies reaped record profits. Healthcare CEO's making $26 million, while people are about to die. So Great Expectations of them.

by Anonymousreply 9March 30, 2020 9:40 AM

How can you be shocked? As a people, we Americans often go against our own interests -- especially regarding health care. Remember that Nixon proposed a sort of universal health coverage? Hillarycare? The single payer option? Americans made sure none of those happened.

by Anonymousreply 10March 30, 2020 10:35 AM

And yet we didn’t support Warren or Bernie, who demanded universal healthcare...

by Anonymousreply 11March 30, 2020 12:02 PM

You want single player? Then vote for it.

Otherwise shut up

by Anonymousreply 12March 30, 2020 12:03 PM

US insurance companies are now required to cover the cost of testing, and will cover at least part of the cost of treatment, but if you think insurance is expensive now, wait until next year. They’ll try to recoup that cost with *gigantic increases in premiums*.

by Anonymousreply 13March 30, 2020 1:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!