Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Do you think it's reasonable for gay couples to have kids but also remain openly polyamorous?

I never wanted kids, but for some reason i always felt if I had them I'd have to be monogamous for the kids' sake--I always think kids crave stability. But I know that's old-fashioned. I'm curious what the rest of you think.

by Anonymousreply 11March 30, 2020 10:33 PM

It takes a village, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 1March 30, 2020 6:24 AM

Dan Savage and his partner apparently feel differently than most of you do.

by Anonymousreply 2March 30, 2020 6:24 AM

How their kid will feel years from now is more to the point.

by Anonymousreply 3March 30, 2020 6:28 AM

Just leave the kids out of it.

by Anonymousreply 4March 30, 2020 6:39 AM

Maybe polygamous would be better than polyamorous.

by Anonymousreply 5March 30, 2020 7:05 AM

Openly polyamorous? No. If you can manage an occasional side piece without the kids needing to know about, let alone see or meet, these people, okay.

When the kids are old enough, you can explain that you and their other dad have an open relationship, but they still shouldn’t have to interact with any of the third parties, unless you’re in a permanent, thruple-type relationship with someone. Kids don’t need or want to see a parade of gross freaks their parents are fucking.

by Anonymousreply 6March 30, 2020 7:39 AM

[quote] Openly polyamorous? No. If you can manage an occasional side piece without the kids needing to know about, let alone see or meet, these people, okay.

So you're saying: as long as you're deceitful, it's okay.

by Anonymousreply 7March 30, 2020 4:56 PM

Little kids aren't supposed to know everything their parents do. There's being deceitful, and there's maintaining appropriate privacy. I did say that when the kids are old enough to understand, the parents should acknowledge that they have an open relationship. Even then, no need to share all the grisly details.

by Anonymousreply 8March 30, 2020 9:24 PM

Kids are moldable clay. They don't see anything wrong with polyamory until (certain) societies teaches them it's wrong or an indication of instability.

Frankly, it's none of anyone's business since the myths the surrounding it have been thoroughly discredited as much as pernicious myths about single mothers and fathers, monogamous gay couples, etc. The children in orphanages are not the discarded experiments of polyamorous folks I can tell you that.

It's personally not for me, but I know enough to know it's none of my fucking business who is fucking who when it comes to consenting adults. What R6 is harping about is not polyamory and he's attacking a strawman.

by Anonymousreply 9March 30, 2020 9:34 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 30, 2020 9:38 PM

OP, you forgot two options:

“I don’t particularly care one way or the other.”

and

“Vivian Vance.”

by Anonymousreply 11March 30, 2020 10:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!