Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Homemade bread w/preservatives?

What are the magic ingredients they put into store-bought bread that keep it fake-fresh for a week or more? Are they something normal people can buy in non-industrial quantities without a license? God forbid, from somewhere like Amazon?

I have a bread machine I've been using to avoid having to go out & buy bread. It's absolutely delicious when fresh... but goes stale literally overnight. I have no objection to preservatives & would love to use them myself, but have no idea what chemical(s) I actually need or where to buy them.

by Anonymousreply 15March 30, 2020 9:07 PM

It goes stale overnight?? Try wrapping it up better! Mine lasts for several days and stays quite soft and fresh.

by Anonymousreply 1March 30, 2020 4:27 AM

Research the “tangzhong” technique.

by Anonymousreply 2March 30, 2020 4:28 AM

I second tangzhong method, it was invented in Taiwan or Japan decades ago and became popular for home bakers about 10 years ago across Asia.

by Anonymousreply 3March 30, 2020 4:30 AM

R3 explain Lucy!

by Anonymousreply 4March 30, 2020 4:36 AM

Try and find the DL threads on how to keep bread from going stale. So informative.

by Anonymousreply 5March 30, 2020 4:47 AM

Is this a lame attempt to get a war started between the people who refrigerate bread and those who don't??

by Anonymousreply 6March 30, 2020 4:51 AM

Just one of many videos on tangzhong method on yt, not just limited to dinner rolls of course

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 30, 2020 4:51 AM

These substances are available to the home baker. Mostly it's calcium propionate. You can find it at a specialty baking shop or online.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 30, 2020 5:26 AM

I don’t mind eating stale bread.

by Anonymousreply 9March 30, 2020 6:14 AM

Actually i realize you're talking about staling more than microbial spoilage. For that you want dough conditioners/emulsifiers, esp. lecithin. King Arthur Flour online probably has various dough conditioners for sale. Fat improves dough storage too. Lean breads like French have short shelf life.

by Anonymousreply 10March 30, 2020 8:12 AM

Freeze your bread, OP.

by Anonymousreply 11March 30, 2020 8:52 AM

Keep it in the refrigerator. Or freeze it. It doesn’t take long to come to room temp if it’s been in the refrigerator.

It’s not rocket science.

by Anonymousreply 12March 30, 2020 9:42 AM

Hmmm... next time, I'll try a recipe with more fat or oil... maybe brioche. And then the tangzhong technique.

I'll iook into King Arthur Flour as well.

I was under the impression that refrigeration (vs freezing) actually ACCELERATES the process of bread going stale.

I don't need *long* shelf life... 3 or 4 days of staying soft & non-stale is just fine with me. I just can't go on feeling like I have to eat the whole loaf within a day just to avoid wasting it. God knows, it's easy ENOUGH to devour 1/3 of a freshly-baked piping-hot loaf for breakfast (with diststrous caloric consequences) without feeling PRESSURED to do it as well.

by Anonymousreply 13March 30, 2020 4:30 PM

R13, that hasn’t been my experience at all - I think refrigeration keeps my bread fresh much longer.

by Anonymousreply 14March 30, 2020 9:03 PM

It's freezing bread the equivalent of draining pasta?

by Anonymousreply 15March 30, 2020 9:07 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!