Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Armchair Psychologists, I need you

I was added to a WhatsApp group by a friend. One guy started posting super alarmist posts like we will be under martial law for 18 months, we would be out of work for a year. Others would react and say no way can that happen or they would be evicted, bankrupt and he would get hysterical typing in all caps that he was crying for us and we wanted people to die. People would then tell him he needed to calm down and he would respond in a super passive aggressive way saying he agreed he was a pos and he deserved nothing and wishing us health which was more than he deserved because he was a nothing and loading on the guilt and self pity.

I was about to just block the chat because of him when we got a message from his number that said “my partner took vodka and pills and has been taken away in an ambulance”

Everyone is now sending all sorts of well wishes and condolences but I can’t help but feel that he sent this himself to provoke this response? Or is he really mentally ill and had a breakdown? My friend has texted me privately with his suspicions too and we as a group don’t know if we’re being punked or if we had a very mentally ill person amongst us for the past week and some guys and feeling really guilty that they didn’t reach out.

I thought he was maybe a narcissist who was trying to suck up all the attention but I’m not so sure. Anyone any guesses as to what this kind of behavior might suggest?

by Anonymousreply 9March 30, 2020 12:03 AM

Insufferable.

by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2020 11:30 PM

This is not a good time to be a drama queen.

Take a few pills and get hauled to the ER, same as usual, and you won't be allowed any visitors and God knows what will be coughed on you.

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2020 11:33 PM

This is honestly a huge chunk of my Facebook feed right now. So many insane alarmists looking at the worst case scenario of everything and that's all they post. I get it. This whole things sucks, but can we show a few shreds of positivity every now and then or at least an amusing meme or video?

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2020 11:36 PM

Post some cat videos for him.

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2020 11:40 PM

Easy solution - CALL THE GUY and deal with him directly.

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2020 11:42 PM

I think the scenario is plausible. This guy is a bitter, manipulative, self-pitying troll -- he probably has a partner who stages suicide attempts every few months.

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2020 11:44 PM

We’ve had no answer to calling him and so far the partner has not responded to our messages for updates other than to say he was not allowed for go in the ambulance which would be expected.

The guy who knows him best in the group said he was “eccentric” but that his posts this week were out of character and “weird”.

I feel bad for the guy if it’s all real but hope we’re not being duped. Life is so surreal right now!

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2020 11:51 PM

Check in 1x a day until you get news. Otherwise concentrate on more important matters.

by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2020 11:55 PM

For me, it ebbs and flows. At times I feel, “This too, shall pass”. And certainly, it will. Yet I’m also pretty realistic as far as money goes. Maybe it’s because I’m entering my OCD stage of sobriety.

Between 4-5 years sober, I begin this thing where I become super organized, and try to make everything perfect. Don’t know why it happens, but it does.

First, I start off by obsessing on my health. I quit smoking, and then, I begin to obsess about the gym, my environment, my car, my home, money, etc. I become super conservative with cash. I save everything, don’t spend on anything I don’t need, and become super rigid in my routines.

All of this sounds positive for some, and much of it is. However, I eventually and inevitably fail at “perfection”, thus I set myself up for failure. Then I go into major self pity, start making reckless decisions, and relapse.

This time, I am highly aware of this “cycle”, and am attempting to not obsess on this shit. However, this virus has made me super anxious about my health and money, at a time where it is actually kinda good to be obsessed with those things. I obsess on these things for a few weeks, to a few months, and then...BOOM! Overnight, I become Little Miss Perfect.

I’m seriously concerned for our economy and our healthcare system. And I know that my OCD thing makes it worse, however I’m not unjustified in thinking this way at this time.

I know this shall eventually pass. My problem, and the problem everyone else is currently facing in America, is our leadership. This could not have ever shown up on the horizon, than right now.

Currently, our nation is being held hostage my an administration that probably believes this is still not as serious as experts believe and know. They deny science, they look down upon experience, expertise, education, facts, data, and on and on it goes.

This isn’t about Republicans bs. Democrats. This is about a virus that gives not one fuck about who voted for whom. And we will be paying a larger price than what we are seeing now. Thousands of people, dead, as of right now, in our country, because our leadership couldn’t be bothered with “science”.

We are not in a good place. We are on trouble, and there will be blood.

by Anonymousreply 9March 30, 2020 12:03 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!