Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Photos Show NYC Parks Still Bustling During The Global Pandemic

While other countries have gone inside and fully locked down to help curb the spread of COVID-19, even going so far as banning bicycling and jogging, the United States has been pretty lax. And New York, the epicenter in the U.S., has been comparatively slow to take the strict measures necessary.

Before we even shut down our bars, Dr. Anthony Fauci, director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases, had recommended a 14-day national shutdown; other health experts have agreed—in a recent NY Times piece, it was spelled out simply: if Americans just "freeze in place for 14 days while sitting six feet apart... the whole epidemic would sputter to a halt." Instead of taking these measures, creating strict rules for a shutdown, the public has been trusted to do the right thing. Look no further than the city's parks to see how that's going.

For weeks, it's been clear that New Yorkers will congregate in these public spaces if they remain open, yet Mayor Bill de Blasio has balked on shutting them down, which could be giving a mixed message to New Yorkers who aren't paying enough attention — if the parks are open, then there must be no danger there. This is incorrect, there are plenty of risks at parks—namely, surfaces and other people. As epidemiologist Stephen Morse told Gothamist, "we think most infections are spread by the respiratory route, hence the recommendation for social distancing... to get out of inhalation range of infected droplets."

Last weekend, Gov. Andrew Cuomo emphasized that New Yorkers had not been doing a good job of keeping their distance from one another outside, specifically at NYC parks, playgrounds and courts. Still, as we saw this week, even Carl Schurz Park, right outside the mayor's front door, remained packed, with plenty of New Yorkers not practicing social distancing.

This week, we checked out the situation in parks around Williamsburg in Brooklyn. These photos were taken between 3 and 5 p.m. on Friday, March 27th. Photographer Scott Lynch reported back, "When two NYPD vehicles showed up at Domino I thought there was going to be some action, but the officers just sat in their cars and blasted a taped warning about being six feet apart. Then left."

A tipster also reached out to us, saying that on Friday afternoon in McCarren Park they "saw droves of people picnicking... I usually mind my business but this is a matter of life and death.. [the NYPD] aren't breaking up groups and as the weather gets nicer more people will go out."

At a press briefing on Friday, de Blasio brought up the parks again, this time noting that "in the last day or so, we have seen some noncompliance that is really a concern. We obviously have to think about the warmer weather coming ahead and we need to make sure that people understand this is really, really serious. So, the NYPD has been instructed, of course, to educate people, warn people, move along if people need to be moved along, break up groups and make sure there's no gatherings

Instead of shutting parks down, however, de Blasio said he would consider fines. "We're going to make a decision on whether we need to start instituting fines for anyone who is noncompliant," he said. "We have not made that decision yet. We'll make it this weekend. Fines of up to $500 per incident are being discussed right now. This means if any of our officers – NYPD or Parks or any other agency tells you, you need to move along, you need to move along. If they tell you to break up your gathering, you need to break up your gathering. It does not mean you can break it up for a few minutes and then come back. It doesn't mean you can tell the officer you're not going to do it. We're going to start to bring heavier enforcement to bear if people don't pay attention to the nonstop guidance that we've all been giving."

He added, "I don't want people to be penalized who are trying to make sense of a new painful reality, but I need people to listen and understand this about protecting yourself, your family, and all the rest of us."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35April 1, 2020 3:31 AM

Even more reason to quarantine New York.

by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2020 10:52 PM

Parks are pretty much the only places to go now so I'm not surprised.

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2020 10:54 PM

Just start MARSHALL LAW at this point. Clearly too many people cant follow directions even if their lives depend on it. The economy is going to be in the shitter no matter what at this point

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2020 10:55 PM

If we declare Marshall Law, then Trump will be POTUS for life.

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2020 10:57 PM

I see lots of distancing and some people - who are probably family or couples, not. But some photos are scandalous. Soccer? Working out on exercise circuit bars? Dumb.

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2020 11:02 PM

Fuck them all, when nurses and doctors are risking their lives and families to save their assess. I'm so done with people's stupidity.

Martial Law NOW.

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2020 11:06 PM

city of narcissists showing their ripped bodies.

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2020 11:08 PM

This may sound callous - I won't feel sorry for them when they get sick and they shouldn't be able to go to a hospital when they do.

by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2020 11:08 PM

[quote] Fuck them all, when nurses and doctors are risking their lives and families to save their assess. I'm so done with people's stupidity.

Some nurses have already died. Mutherfuckers.

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2020 11:10 PM

... and doctors

by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2020 11:11 PM

Why doesn't DeBlasio just close parks and beaches, like other cities have done?

It's the Mayor's fault.

In other cities, parks and recreation areas are officially closed, giving police the power to issue citations and arrest violators.

It's such a simple thing.

by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2020 11:11 PM

I've mentioned before that I live in a predominantly Chinese neighborhood in Brooklyn. Most of them have taken this seriously. I've gone out a couple of times for necessities and the streets are pretty empty. I've driven around and very few people out.

by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2020 11:12 PM

DeBlasio is such a joke. Here in Chicago, Mayor Lightfoot is not putting up with this BS.

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2020 11:13 PM

R12 they’re scared of getting beat up

by Anonymousreply 14March 29, 2020 11:13 PM

It’s not DeBlasio. Other people keep overruling him.

by Anonymousreply 15March 29, 2020 11:14 PM

This is why Cuomo insisted that De Blasio open up streets to pedestrian traffic. And as a fuck you to the governor, De Blasio opened up 2 small streets per borough. A complete fuck you.

This is going to keep happening as the weather gets warmer. On shitty, cold days, sure the streets are empty. But every time there's been a nice spring day, I've seen the parks packed.

by Anonymousreply 16March 29, 2020 11:14 PM

I'd bet my paycheck that most of these people hanging out in the park are insisting to their bosses that they need to work from home because it's too dangerous to go into the office.

by Anonymousreply 17March 29, 2020 11:16 PM

R14, my neighborhood is very safe. No one is beating them up and they dominate in certain parts, so there would be too many Chinese people that no one could even beat them up and not get a beating themselves.

by Anonymousreply 18March 29, 2020 11:16 PM

As long as they are six feet apart no worries. And what about the homeless? What are you going to do lock 'em up? Yeah, that would be real productive. Let's stick a bunch of potential carriers in a small jail cell.

And what about those who are recovered? They can go out.

by Anonymousreply 19March 29, 2020 11:22 PM

They seem stupid. And self involved.

by Anonymousreply 20March 30, 2020 12:15 AM

Steve Guttenberg is doing fine and sends his love.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21April 1, 2020 1:03 AM

Is Chicago the only city to close parks? The lakefront was closed in Chicago after one sunny day where everybody went out...

by Anonymousreply 22April 1, 2020 1:07 AM

Well this past weekend was a beautiful sunny spring day and everything is blooming. People get cabin fever and it’s hard to resist going out on one of the first beautiful spring weekends of the year.

by Anonymousreply 23April 1, 2020 1:18 AM

R22, maybe. That's why I love Pritzker plus Lightfoot. They are getting shit done and taking leadership. De Blasio seems incompetent in every way. Maybe that's why so many people were passionate about Bloomberg--they now see what happens when you get one who is completely ineffective. Even if Bloomberg catered to the rich, at least he wasn't a joke.

by Anonymousreply 24April 1, 2020 1:20 AM

I went out to buy a few things. Stood outside the store for about 10 minutes and we were 6ft apart. Five of us waiting: three with gloves/mask, two who couldn't give a shit. The conversation is the same every time: "Surreal"

by Anonymousreply 25April 1, 2020 1:22 AM

human nature, at the end of the day people are going to do what they want to do (and don't anyone dare tell them they can't!). it could literally be the end of the world and people are going to do what they want! the narcissism and pathological stubbornness of homo sapiens, you know the " highest advanced intelligent" animal.

by Anonymousreply 26April 1, 2020 1:24 AM

The US is going to end up with a larger proportion of infections and deaths than the rest of the World.

Exactly the same as it did in the 1918-1920 Spanish Flu pandemic and the 1968-1970 Hong Kong Flu pandemic (possibly even during Swine Flu, the figures still aren't finalized).

It happens every time. Surprised someone isn't organizing Easter Parades?

by Anonymousreply 27April 1, 2020 1:25 AM

Idiot americans can not follow simple rules, these selfish assholes endanger everyone else including doctors and nurses. It's one thing to go on a walk with your kid and or wife but hanging out at a packed park? Fuck them.

by Anonymousreply 28April 1, 2020 1:33 AM

thots gotta thot

by Anonymousreply 29April 1, 2020 1:40 AM

If you have any historic or inactive cemeteries near you, you might be able to go there. In the 19th century, they started creating garden cemeteries that are essentially arboretums and wildlife refuges. Mt. Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge is popular with joggers, birders, and nature lovers. People even get married there. Alas, they’ve just cut their hours.

In NYC, you might try the Green-Wood cemetery in Brooklyn. New England has tons of inactive cemeteries.

Some decorum is expected. But you won’t be crowded like you might be in a city park.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30April 1, 2020 2:59 AM

[quote] The US is going to end up with a larger proportion of infections and deaths than the rest of the World.

[quote] Exactly the same as it did in the 1918-1920 Spanish Flu pandemic and the 1968-1970 Hong Kong Flu pandemic

Americans have always had a "don't tread on me" type of independent spirit.

Most of the times that's a good thing.

In this case, it's absolutely a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 31April 1, 2020 3:10 AM

[quote]In order to be on track for an estimated ~150,000 deaths from coronavirus in the United States, and a peak of ~3,500 deaths per day, the University of Washington model cited by the White House would expect 781 deaths today. The latest @CNN number is 830 deaths reported today.

A peak of ~3,500 deaths per day is just over half of what Spain is seeing per capita.

by Anonymousreply 32April 1, 2020 3:12 AM

New Yorkers are so brave and gutsy.

by Anonymousreply 33April 1, 2020 3:15 AM

Agree with above. The reason I like Bloomberg is seeing how incompetent DeBlasio is - all talk, indecision, self-involvement and horrible management. The fact that he can’t get to a meeting on time ever was the first red flag - and he has proven his ineptitude. Thank God for Cuomo. I hate that DeBlasio is doing a bad job - risking our lives and making us look bad.

by Anonymousreply 34April 1, 2020 3:24 AM

R34 I liked when he showed up in his gym across town the same day all the gyms in NYC were closed.

by Anonymousreply 35April 1, 2020 3:31 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!