Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

No more grocery deliveries! Instacart to STRIKE!

Instacart employees set to strike tomorrow over lack of hazard pay, among other things.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38April 1, 2020 2:54 AM

NY Times Paywall

by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2020 1:04 PM

Sorry, r1.

I didn’t get a paywall so I assumed it was open to the public.

I didn’t get a paywall on this one either, so try this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2020 1:12 PM

Uh oh - can't say I blame them, but oooh crap.

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2020 1:15 PM

How is getting hazard pay going to reduce their chances of catching something?

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2020 1:19 PM

I wondered that myself, r4.

So if I pay you $1,000/delivery that makes you less susceptible to get it?

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2020 1:24 PM

Don't be obtuse. When you risk your life for the job, you get paid more. Coal miners, contractors in the Middle East, and so on.

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2020 1:28 PM

Hmm. I can see both sides. But what about the cashiers in the supermarket? Will they strike, too?

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2020 1:32 PM

Everyone still working right now with lots of customers, patients or collegues around is basically risking their lives. They're greedy and want to profit of of this. But who can blame them if nurses get paid $100 an hour now. They want their share, but customers can still decide if they're willing to pay or risk their own lives and buy their own groceries and stuff.

by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2020 1:52 PM

InstaCart is one of those free for all jobs. Even with the coronas going around if one person quits, 2 more will be ready to take their place.

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2020 2:15 PM

There is certainly a risk for the InstaCart shoppers spending time in the store so I support this. I click the box to have my groceries left on my doorstep because I'm home all day.

When the virus subsides they will all be terminated. That's why they're contractors and not full time employees. It gives the company the ability furlough or bring on staff according to their needs, not yours.

by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2020 2:27 PM

I'm worried about this, as we've been using Instacart since March 11 in order to isolate. That said, the greedy corporation needs to share some of their sudden bonanza with their contractors. You know with the surge in business, they are making money hand over fist, but they aren't supplying any sanitizer or disinfectant and are keeping wages low. That isn't just bad for the workers, it's also bad for the customers.

I just hope this is effective for them because being contractors, they really won't be able to force all their fellow workers to strike. I guess we'll soon see.

by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2020 3:31 PM

I placed my very first ever Instacart order early last week; the first delivery time available was tomorrow. So I guess I'm out of luck?

by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2020 3:39 PM

R12, it's not like there is an instacart union. It more like an informal (via internet) solicitation for instacart shoppers to "strike". But unless many of them participate it'll go nowhere. Another instacart "employee" is a few clicks away on their phone to replace any of them....and there are plenty of people out of work people that aren't concerned about corona.

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2020 3:56 PM

[quote] people that aren't concerned about corona.

Who are these fools?

by Anonymousreply 14March 29, 2020 3:57 PM

These are some of them r14...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 29, 2020 4:02 PM

I don't blame them. And they're not appreciated by customers either. Lots of people on Next-door are shrieking about substitutions the shoppers made. In some cases the shoppers texted or called the customer, but the customer didn't reply for whatever reason and still blamed the shopper.

by Anonymousreply 16March 29, 2020 4:07 PM

Not to sound cold, but if they are 1099’d independent contractors it is up to them to provide their own supplies just as they do vehicle, gas, etc.... Standard employment rules don’t apply unless they sue and prove they’ve been misclassified. Granted it’s a different world than when they may have initially taken the job, but they can perform it essentially as they wish, set their own hours, turn down jobs.... I have a friend who lost a good waitressing job who is in line for something else like this.

by Anonymousreply 17March 29, 2020 4:09 PM

They deserve it. So do nurses, bus drivers and grocery store and pharmacy workers. It won’t kill the corporations to hand out some raises.

by Anonymousreply 18March 29, 2020 4:20 PM

I agree, and I think it's wrong that certain places won't let you tip. I've done several Walmart grocery pickup orders, and tried to tip, but they say they're not allowed to accept them.

by Anonymousreply 19March 29, 2020 5:15 PM

Are the Instacart shoppers hot guys? If so I'd be willing to give it a try. But if it's some homely frau, no thanks, I'll just do my own shopping.

by Anonymousreply 20March 29, 2020 5:22 PM

Pay them whatever they want. Now is not the time to fall apart.

by Anonymousreply 21March 29, 2020 5:47 PM

I don't mind. I put an order in early today and my stuff was delivered.

by Anonymousreply 22March 29, 2020 10:41 PM

Aren’t you nice.

“I got mines. Fuck everyone else.”

by Anonymousreply 23March 29, 2020 10:46 PM

r22 Must be nice. I had to wait almost a week for a delivery (scheduled for tomorrow, if the strike doesn't materialize.)

by Anonymousreply 24March 29, 2020 11:06 PM

Given that many people have been laid off, I don’t see this strike being successful. And many grocery stores pack the items for them, so they are simply going from A to B.

by Anonymousreply 25March 29, 2020 11:09 PM

They eat your food

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 30, 2020 2:07 AM

Good for them. Gig economy shit is an evil siren song that has sucked in too many young people. I hope this is just the beginning of taking all all these fucking apps that are simultaneously making things a little too convenient for people who can afford it, and a little too hard for the people doing the work or relying on the resources monopolized by people on the money-making side of the apps. AirBnB, Uber, InstaCart, they all need a serious reckoning, I hope young people burn them down if they won't play fair.

by Anonymousreply 27March 30, 2020 2:10 AM

That’s how I’ve been buying my wine. I used to use Drizly but they charge so much more for the exact same thing. I guess now this means that I’ll be adding wine to the Hoarding List.

by Anonymousreply 28March 30, 2020 2:29 AM

I am in SF and noticing that their delivery times are 3 days out from the day you order. This is likely to expand as more and more people use the service.

by Anonymousreply 29March 30, 2020 2:32 AM

Here in Metro Alanta area they were out 2 or 3 days for deliveries. However this past Sunday I put an order in during the morning and five hours later it was delivered. It's Instacart btw.

by Anonymousreply 30March 31, 2020 5:01 PM

I got my first Instacart order (from Aldi) yesterday. I placed the order a week ago; this was the first available slot. Worked pretty well. I had pre-authorized some substitutions, but they texted me anyway for approval. It was cool to see the progress of my order online as it was being shopped. I got nearly everything I wanted--they seemed to have much more in stock than Walmart did on my four separate pickup trips. I'm definitely going to use it again.

by Anonymousreply 31March 31, 2020 5:47 PM

[quote] Not to sound cold, but if they are 1099’d independent contractors it is up to them to provide their own supplies just as they do vehicle, gas, etc....

At my local Kroger the staff aren’t allowed to wear masks and gloves. Seems completely unfair and unsafe.

by Anonymousreply 32March 31, 2020 5:56 PM

We had a couple of instacart workers saying they would be scabs (not striking) on our area’s local Facebook page. I understand they need $$ but i think it’s kind of shitty to break a strike.

by Anonymousreply 33March 31, 2020 9:09 PM

I placed my order at 11 am Saturday, groceries were delivered by 1:30 pm Saturday. H.E.B. Houston.

by Anonymousreply 34March 31, 2020 9:13 PM

Anyone here ever use Shipt for grocery delivery?

by Anonymousreply 35March 31, 2020 11:00 PM

I've never used Instacard, can someone tell me how much they charge for deliveries?

by Anonymousreply 36March 31, 2020 11:16 PM

I don't know if it varies from place to place or store to store, but it's $5.99 at Aldi, plus a service charge. But your first three orders at Aldi have no delivery fee (just the service charge.) My order was around $100, and they charged a $5 service fee. (They also charge what the store charges for bags, if applicable.) You can also add a tip. (And modify it later.)

by Anonymousreply 37April 1, 2020 2:13 AM

With tip, delivery and service fees, you end up paying around $10 extra for delivery.

by Anonymousreply 38April 1, 2020 2:54 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!