Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Have you given yourselves a home haircut?

All of the barbers, salons, etc are closed and needed a haircut. I have a set of electric clippers and blades/guides so gave it a try.

The sides turned out OK but the back was tricky. Not great but it'll grow back and it's not like I'm leaving the house.

Any tips, tricks? When I went for the back everything was in reverse and was my first time doing this.

I would prefer to just buzz my hair but my head is misshapen.

by Anonymousreply 36April 20, 2020 6:27 PM

Cutting the back requires practice. I have cut my own hair for 20 years. I am good at the back now, but the first time was a disaster. Take it slowly. Use a longer guide than you think you need, you can always do it again with a shorter one, but you can't go back to a longer one.

Practice the movements with the clippers turned off.

by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2020 12:13 PM

My partner cuts my hair. I would never try to do anything myself. He's very, very good at it, and knows what I like. He usually goes to a professional for his cuts, but two days ago I gave him a trim, and he was happy with the results. Neither one of us has ultra-short hair anyway. Not hippie length, though, god forbid.

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2020 12:20 PM

OP, did you rub your own bulge on yourself?

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2020 12:23 PM

[quote] but two days ago I gave him a trim,

At least you two are still having sex.

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2020 12:24 PM

I too have been cutting my hair with clippers for years. I imagine when I do the back it is uneven but since I can't see the result it doesn't matter to me that much. My hair is quite thick and grows fast so I usually trim it every month to 6 weeks.

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2020 12:26 PM

I just ordered clippers from amazon. I live in NYC and can’t imagine when I’ll be able to or comfortable with going back to the barber.

I was thinking I could just buzz it to #2. I like the suggestion of practicing with the clippers off first. Will look for some YouTube videos as well.

If anyone has other suggestions, post them please. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2020 12:41 PM

R6 here's the one I watched. It's for hair with different lengths on top compared to the sides.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2020 12:48 PM

I don't trust myself do follow the YouTube instructions. Isn't there some sort of FLo-bee thing that actually works?

by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2020 1:01 PM

Flowbee is on YouTube too.

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2020 9:35 PM

I actually did cut my hair this weekend, after watching a few YouTube videos. My hair was waist length and I cut back about four inches of scraggly ends, plus trimmed and inch off of my bangs. Thank goodness, I can wear it back or rolled up, to cover up any slight uneveness.

by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2020 10:13 PM

It takes some getting used to cutting the back and sides with clippers in one hand and a mirror in the other hand, but it's do-able. I've been doing so since the early 2000's. I just do a basic faded buzz cut going from an 1/8th of an inch on the sides and back, and fading it up to 1 inch on the top.

One thing you *might* want to consider, if you begin doing this regularly, is to pick up a back up set of clippers. It's rare, but there have been a few times my current set of clippers just flat out died on me mid hair cut. I had to plea to my family and friends to run up to the store for me to pick up a new set. I was NOT leaving the house looking like that, it was really bad.

by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2020 10:58 PM

Proper suction is the key! Ancient Slovenian secret.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2020 10:59 PM

[quote] Proper suction is the key!

We know that.

After all, we are gay.

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2020 11:25 PM

Always suck, never blow.

by Anonymousreply 14March 30, 2020 12:19 AM

I cut my hair today, as I do every other Sunday, and have for 20 years.

by Anonymousreply 15March 30, 2020 2:03 AM

I'm thinking of dying my hair pale pink for the stay at home order, but I don't know that I am in the mood to double-process

by Anonymousreply 16March 30, 2020 2:04 AM

Another Flowbee fan here.

If you buy one, you will get better and faster with your haircuts. I can cut my hair and trim my beard in less time than it took me to drive to my barbershop (20 minutes).

My hair is pretty curly and I wear it short. Hard to screw up my haircuts. My Flowbee paid for itself the first year I owned it.

by Anonymousreply 17March 30, 2020 2:14 AM

I like my hair a tad longer than the guy in the Real Jock ad. So it's easy with the clipper. Have been doing it for the past decade at least. The Remington clipper with the curved blade is great.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 30, 2020 2:18 AM

Lol, OP, I also have a tragically misshapen head. Did your parents leave you on your back too often as an infant, too?

by Anonymousreply 19March 30, 2020 3:44 AM

I avoid guys whose skull is in a straight line with their neck (no curvature of the back of the skull).

Like r19, I deem them neglected by their parents in their cribs, resulting in reduced cranial capacity --> lowered IQ.

Had a dumbass boss whose skull was like this.

by Anonymousreply 20March 30, 2020 10:49 AM

I have been shaving my own head for well over a year at this point, so it's one of the few things that is not actually a big deal to me in terms of this quarantine.

I also have a nicely-shaped head, apparently.

My advice to those of you who may be shaving your own head for the first time is that you should take your time with it and get decent clippers if you can, don't bother trying to use mirrors etc you will end up messing it up. Very short same length all over is the easiest to achieve obviously, unless you have a weird head. But no one's going to really see you in isolation anyway!

by Anonymousreply 21March 30, 2020 1:02 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22April 20, 2020 9:37 AM

I want to give myself bangs but I know what would happen

by Anonymousreply 23April 20, 2020 9:44 AM

I want to give myself bangs but I know what would happen

by Anonymousreply 24April 20, 2020 9:45 AM

I've been cutting my own hair since I was a broke college student (now 31). I have a basic crew cut so it's not terribly difficult, but here are some "crew cut" tips I've picked up over the years:

1. Use the buzzer on the sides but always use scissors on the upper crown.

2. Use a handheld mirror for cutting the back. I face away from the bathroom mirror and use that mirror's reflection in the little mirror to see the back while you're working.

3. Cutting the back: Get a barstool/chair and SIT DOWN! It's much easier to fine-tune the back of your head when you're sitting down (I learned this tip when I broke my leg last year and HAD to sit down--it's far easier).

4. If you have two days to play around with, do the major cut on day one and do any alterations/fixes the next day. Giving some time to recharge and let your hair play out (even if just for 24 hours) can help identify areas you need to work on. Ideally you get to where you can do a flawless set in one day, but more often than not you will need to make adjustments.

Here's a good video to start out with. You dont' necessarily want to do everything this guy in the video says, but it's a good guide for a decent self-executed cut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25April 20, 2020 10:13 AM

Yes, give yourself a day in case you need to finesse. You learn to feel and know the sounds the clippers make in the back. Mine is not short, short and a bit of product will "even" anything up.

by Anonymousreply 26April 20, 2020 10:50 AM

[quote] I want to give myself bangs

With this social distancing crap, that’s all I’ve been doing.

by Anonymousreply 27April 20, 2020 10:58 AM

Guys -- if you wear your hair short or are balding, there is absolutely no reason to pay some yahoo to cut your hair.

Learning to trim your own hair is perhaps something that this virus will teach the world's menfolk.

by Anonymousreply 28April 20, 2020 12:25 PM

That's the thing, no matter how many mirrors you use, you're not going to get the same perspective on your own head as a stylist will standing over you. Notice next time you're in the chair how much a good stylist will move around, compare the lengths on different areas of your head. You just can't do that unless you're having an out of body experience, and even then you couldn't hold the scissors.

by Anonymousreply 29April 20, 2020 12:55 PM

No, you can't walk around while you cut your own hair, but of course you can cut your hair evenly on all sides yourself.

And besides, if it is not precise to the millimeter, believe me, no one cares but you. You will not become a Hollywood idol or fashion model anytime soon, now will you?

by Anonymousreply 30April 20, 2020 1:15 PM

R25 Yum!

by Anonymousreply 31April 20, 2020 3:04 PM

[quote]Guys -- if you wear your hair short or are balding, there is absolutely no reason to pay some yahoo to cut your hair.

FFS there are places where you can get a haircut for $15.

by Anonymousreply 32April 20, 2020 3:28 PM

Was this really worth a second thread? Seems like a waste of bandwidth.

by Anonymousreply 33April 20, 2020 3:31 PM

The advice about doing in a couple of stages is true. It's not like we're going anywhere.

I did the sides and back one day and the top another day. Then did some cleanup along the edges for 3 days in total.

I've never done it before. Someone experienced might do it faster but turned out pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 34April 20, 2020 4:30 PM

Everyone is going to have fucked up looking hair for awhile so it’s not a big deal if you screw it up.

by Anonymousreply 35April 20, 2020 4:45 PM

Check this guy and his Flowbee:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36April 20, 2020 6:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!