Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Trump Backs Down on Quarantine After Cuomo Warns It Would Be ‘Declaration of War’

Donald Trump appeared to back down late Saturday on the idea of imposing an enforceable quarantine on coronavirus hot spots like New York, deeming the measure “not necessary” just hours after he sparked criticism for floating it as an option.

“On the recommendation of the White House CoronaVirus Task Force, and upon consultation with the Governor’s of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, I have asked the @CDCgov to issue a strong Travel Advisory, to be administered by the Governors, in consultation with the Federal Government,” Trump tweeted on Saturday evening.

“A quarantine will not be necessary. Full details will be released by CDC tonight. Thank you!”

The CDC later released a travel advisory urging New York, New Jersey, and Connecticut residents to avoid “non-essential domestic travel” for 14 days.

The announcement came shortly after New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo warned against the proposed quarantine of “hot spots,” saying it would be nothing short of a “federal declaration of war” that would pit state authorities against the federal government.

“It wouldn’t just be New York, New Jersey, Connecticut. Next week it would be Louisiana with New Orleans, and the week after that it would be Detroit, Michigan, and it would run all across the nation. I don’t think the president is looking to start a lot of wars with a lot of states just about now for a lot of reasons,” Cuomo said in an interview with CNN.

In addition to such a quarantine likely being illegal, Cuomo said, it would cause “chaos” and “mayhem” and only make matters worse during the coronavirus pandemic.

The governor said he had not spoken with Trump after the president announced the possibility of a short-term enforced quarantine on “hotspots” of the novel coronavirus, including New York state, New Jersey, and some parts of Connecticut.

Immediately after Trump voiced the proposal, Cuomo appeared frustrated with the idea of an enforced quarantine (“I don’t know what that means”) and said the president had not discussed the matter with him when they spoke on Saturday morning.

“I don’t know how that could be legally enforceable and, from a medical point of view, I don’t know what you would be accomplishing,” Cuomo added. “I don’t even like the sound of it, not even understanding what it is.”

Trump told reporters on the White House lawn on Saturday that he had spoken to Florida’s Republican Gov. Ron DeSantis, who had complained about New Yorkers traveling south—and bringing coronavirus with them.

“A lot of the states that are infected but don’t have a big problem, they’ve asked me if I’ll look at it so we’re going to look at it,” Trump said.

“We’re thinking about certain things. Some people would like to see New York quarantined because it’s a hotspot. We might not have to do it, but there’s a possibility that sometime today we’ll do a quarantine, short-term, two weeks on New York. Probably New Jersey, certain parts of Connecticut. I’d rather not do it, but maybe we need it.”

The president doubled down on his suggestion in a tweet on Saturday afternoon and in remarks at a Virginia naval base, where he was seeing off the naval hospital ship, Comfort, that is heading to New York.

“This does not apply to people such as truckers from outside the New York area who are making deliveries or are simply transiting through,” Trump said. “It won’t affect trade in any way.” He added that “a decision will be made, one way or another, shortly.”

The question of whether the federal government has the power to impose restrictions on states has been a source of speculation since the virus has spread throughout the country.

Federal laws give the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) the authority to prevent the spread of communicable diseases between states by limiting the movement of people who are “reasonably believed to be infected with a quarantinable communicable disease.” However there is no law that grants the president authority to prevent an entire nation’s movements, NBC News reported. Any attempt to do so would likely be challenged in court.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96March 30, 2020 10:27 PM

Dr. Anthony Fauci, the director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases and a member of the White House coronavirus task force, has expressed his support for a potential 14-day national shutdown to slow the spread of the virus. “I think Americans should be prepared that they are going to have to hunker down significantly more than we as a country are doing,” Fauci said, stressing the importance of social distancing in the fight against the virus. The top infectious disease expert, however, has not provided any explanation for what such a plan could look like or how it could be carried out.

Michael Ulrich, a public health law professor at Boston University, said the federal government would “have to be able to justify that some group is a credible threat to others, and that’s an easier thing to do on an individual level.” He added that it would be “a really hard thing to prove.”

Rep. Justin Amash (I-MI), a former Republican who has been a fervent critic of Trump, questioned his power to implement such an order. “Under which authority?” Amash wrote on Twitter on Saturday.

As of Saturday, New York reported at least 52,318 cases of the novel coronavirus, with over half in New York City and at least 7,328 in hospital. Coronavirus cases in the United States crossed the 100,000 mark on Friday, making it the new global epicenter of the pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2020 5:06 AM

This is why Cuomo needs to be Biden's running mate.

DUMP is terrified of him.

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2020 5:07 AM

So Cuomo wants everything for NY on his terms only. Then when the situation he and the mayor created by not acting sooner, he still demands it is done all his way.

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2020 5:09 AM

[quote] This is why Cuomo needs to be Biden's running mate.

Biden will be replaced by the time the convention rolls around.

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2020 5:09 AM

Again, Cuomo would be a great running mate, but if he left NYC during a crisis to campaign he'd get a lot of criticism that he might not be able to shake off.

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2020 5:12 AM

[quote] Federal laws give the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) the authority to prevent the spread of communicable diseases between states by limiting the movement of people who are “reasonably believed to be infected with a quarantinable communicable disease.”

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2020 5:13 AM

[quote]So Cuomo wants everything for NY on his terms only. Then when the situation he and the mayor created by not acting sooner, he still demands it is done all his way.

Cuomo was STILL bitching as of today even though a medical ship is on its way to help with relief. Both he and de Blasio keep up their "sky is falling" meme. There have been 728 deaths in New York State which has a population of 19 1/2 million. They won't release any information about whether these 728 were old people or people who had compromised immune systems.

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2020 5:17 AM

I gotta hand it to the Cuomos.

These guys never back down from a fight. They'll get right up in your face, and I love that about them.

My favorite is when Chris bitch slapped that right-wing cunt in the restaurant.

HA! I'll always love him for that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2020 5:20 AM

[quote]Cuomo was STILL bitching as of today even though a medical ship is on its way to help with relief

The ship that Trump delayed by a day so he could have a photo op? That ship?

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2020 5:21 AM

Ha ha, get rekt rump fuck.

by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2020 5:21 AM

He's just making it up as he goes.

I wonder if his (non)response to Covid-19 is grounds for impeachment?

by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2020 5:23 AM

Yes let’s impeach him. That went so well the last time.

R4, how are things in Cloud Cuckoo-Land?

by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2020 5:26 AM

Trump is scared of Cuomo. The Cuomos have known the trumps for a long time. They know they are dirt.

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2020 5:30 AM

Fuck Trump.

by Anonymousreply 14March 29, 2020 5:31 AM

Exploding cities like NYC should be quarantined for the good of the state and nation. Cuomo should be quarantining NYC at the very least until this. Is under control. People are not taking this disease seriously. I see people congregating in parks and beaches on nice days. Asymptimatics can still get sick and still pass it on. Cuomo needs to get more serious and stop grandstanding as a great civil rights leader for a future presidential run.

by Anonymousreply 15March 29, 2020 5:34 AM

There's simply not enough manpower to force everyone to stay in the city. Too many roads leading out of the area for already-stressed services to cover.

by Anonymousreply 16March 29, 2020 5:39 AM

Nypd is goiing down hard. A lot sick. Rioting soon.

by Anonymousreply 17March 29, 2020 5:45 AM

Biden will be dead by the time the convention roles around.

Fixed it for R4

by Anonymousreply 18March 29, 2020 5:56 AM

It’s a life or death situation. Blockade New York now for the sake of the rest of us. The courts can declare whatever they want to afterward.

by Anonymousreply 19March 29, 2020 6:18 AM

R19 Nice delusion trumptard. Jabba the trump is a pig just like you.

by Anonymousreply 20March 29, 2020 6:29 AM

If strong decisive quarantines aren’t taken immediately in COVID hotspots like NYC, New Orleans, Seattle, and LA, this country is FUCKED.

A lot of people don’t understand how fucking serious this situation is. This literally has the potential to crash the entire economy and send the entire country into a depression that makes the 1930’s look like a cake walk.

Cuomo is a fucking asshole. He needs to show true leadership, acknowledge that his state unfortunately will suffer some short term pain (economic and loss of life), to save the rest of the country from surefire pandemonium.

by Anonymousreply 21March 29, 2020 6:29 AM

Cuomo/Streisand ‘20

by Anonymousreply 22March 29, 2020 6:30 AM

Google : R21

Do you mean blithering idiot?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 29, 2020 6:50 AM

Fuck you, R23. The blithering idiot is you, someone who clearly can’t grasp exponential growth or comprehend the very real likelihood our hospitals collapse under pressure. Eat shit, bitch.

by Anonymousreply 24March 29, 2020 7:41 AM

More of Trump trying to pander to his red state/base by trying to pit states against one another. Fuck him.

by Anonymousreply 25March 29, 2020 7:52 AM

I cannot believe how many fucking Trump defenders post on DL.

You are all pathetic pieces of fucking shit.

by Anonymousreply 26March 29, 2020 7:59 AM

"Fuck Trump."

No thank you.

by Anonymousreply 27March 29, 2020 8:00 AM

I don't know who that guy is who goes around escalating to "eat shit" at the slightest provocation is, but I've seen him on numerous threads and have decided he's just trying to start a fight.

If he's really in Austin as he claims he should be in bed now anyway.

by Anonymousreply 28March 29, 2020 8:01 AM

There is no logistical way to quarantine the entire city. There are too many entrances and exits that cannot be properly monitored. And the second you say the city is quarantined, there will be panic and more people will leave than would have before.

Trumpfuckers can cry all they want about Cuomo "not being a leader" etc. etc. but the fact is that there's no reason for him to even suggest quarantine because they simply could not do it. You could close down major highways and tolls maybe, and the airports, but that's about it.

And we all know that the blame on New York is Trumpian anti-liberal propaganda anyway, so don't try to pass it off as common sense. You've been doing that kind of dogwhistle shit for years, we're all onto you now.

by Anonymousreply 29March 29, 2020 8:06 AM

My sentiments exactly r29.

by Anonymousreply 30March 29, 2020 8:09 AM

Klan Grannies = Trump supporters

by Anonymousreply 31March 29, 2020 8:17 AM

China locked down Wuhan in order to contain the virus and they seemed to have succeeded. Unfortunately, this may be the only answer to keep it in check.

by Anonymousreply 32March 29, 2020 8:38 AM

China welded people into their homes and dragged people away who were never heard from again.

You're not going to be able to weld New Yorkers into their homes. They haven't been living in a closed dictatorship where the military has those kind of powers, where individuality is punished by jail or death for decades, as the people in China have.

by Anonymousreply 33March 29, 2020 8:51 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 29, 2020 9:25 AM

[quote] They haven't been living in a closed dictatorship where the military has those kind of powers, where individuality is punished by jail or death

This is one of the pitfalls of American culture, the "me, me" society, "our individual freedoms" over the community. This is why you see the shelves empty because people are only caring about themselves, not others or the community and hoarding supplies for themselves. People's lives are at stake, it's time to come together and think of your community or country. This is like a war, albeit, against a virus, and so New York should be in lockdown despite what Cuomo says.

by Anonymousreply 35March 29, 2020 9:42 AM

I can not imagine being confined to a tiny apartment with multiple roommates in NYC. I think I would lose my shit.

by Anonymousreply 36March 29, 2020 9:50 AM

You can still go outside but just don't travel out of the city.

by Anonymousreply 37March 29, 2020 10:02 AM

Message to everyone in the US: the whole country needs to go under lockdown NOW.

by Anonymousreply 38March 29, 2020 10:07 AM

[quote]I can not imagine being confined to a tiny apartment with multiple roommates in NYC. I think I would lose my shit.

My sister is an emergency preparedness nurse in one of the hard-hit areas, and was rundown from 16-18 hr days, 6 days/week. Yesterday morning she went to the local urgent care, and saw the attached ER was blockaded by a dozen or so police cars, blue lights flashing.

Sister asked the treating nurse what was going on in the back, and the nurse told her in the last three days or so they've been SLAMMED with domestic violence cases.

And our area is only ten days into the Governor's stay home mandate.

It's going to get much worse.

by Anonymousreply 39March 29, 2020 10:23 AM

Omg, R39.

That's terrifying.

by Anonymousreply 40March 29, 2020 10:28 AM

Sorry to hear that R39. I know it's not popular here but I'm praying for New York.

by Anonymousreply 41March 29, 2020 10:32 AM

I seriously can’t believe there are people politicizing this issue. The health and safety of US citizens is paramount, and not restricting the movement of people within known hotspots is irresponsible.

Cuomo says a lockdown is “antisocial”. No shit, Sherlock we’re in a fucking pandemic. People don’t give a fuck, they only care about themselves, and are unwilling to take the necessary social distancing measures that will stop this virus. People are still out congregating, socializing and unknowingly infecting others.

The only way to get the R0 below 1 is to enforce a strict quarantine. Period. Those of you politicizing this and accusing those of us who actually understand how exponential growth works as being “Trump supporters” are just a fucking disgrace.

And if these drastic measures

by Anonymousreply 42March 29, 2020 10:36 AM

Exactly, R42. This is how South Korea and China got their numbers down and that's the only way to control it. It's science and fact, not politics.

by Anonymousreply 43March 29, 2020 10:43 AM

[quote] This is how South Korea and China got their numbers down

China is fucking LYING about its numbers.

by Anonymousreply 44March 29, 2020 10:53 AM

A quarantine is never ever happening in this country. Ever. It’s way too late for that anyway. It’s already in the population and has been spreading for months. All we can do is wait it out and try to hide. Yes, it’s going to get worse. Deal with it or suffer the psychological consequences.

by Anonymousreply 45March 29, 2020 10:54 AM

But South Korea is not lying.

by Anonymousreply 46March 29, 2020 10:55 AM

Meh, I agree with R21. And if they don't, well, NYC is overpopulated and overpriced, anyway. Maybe this will bring NYC down to earth a little.

by Anonymousreply 47March 29, 2020 11:05 AM

R44 spot on!!

by Anonymousreply 48March 29, 2020 11:13 AM

I think it got r42 mid sentence.

by Anonymousreply 49March 29, 2020 12:17 PM

[quote] with multiple roommates in NYC. I think I would lose my shit.

Sounds hot.

Are you guys college age?

by Anonymousreply 50March 29, 2020 12:18 PM

[quote]“On the recommendation of the White House CoronaVirus Task Force, and upon consultation with the Governor’s of New York, New Jersey and Connecticut, I have asked the @CDCgov to issue a strong Travel Advisory, to be administered by the Governors, in consultation with the Federal Government,” Trump tweeted on Saturday evening.

As I mentioned on another thread, when Gov Murphy was asked about this, he said he didn't know what the president was taking about since he had just talked to him earlier in the day and made no mention of this.

The president is like someone with tourette syndrome, blurting things out that make no sense.

[quote]I think it got R42 mid sentence.

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. DL can claim its first victim.

by Anonymousreply 51March 29, 2020 12:31 PM

[quote]There is no logistical way to quarantine the entire city.

Most of the city is on islands. The government could close the bridges and tunnels to prevent people from leaving and infecting the rest of the country.

by Anonymousreply 52March 29, 2020 12:49 PM

Correct !! R52

by Anonymousreply 53March 29, 2020 12:54 PM

If NYC was to be quarantined, what would they do about food? Trucks need to make deliveries in and out of the city.

I agree that if they announced quarantine, more people would panic and leave the city.

by Anonymousreply 54March 29, 2020 1:42 PM

NYCer - can you still drive into and drive out of the city?

I need to get something from my apartment but am afraid I won’t get out.

by Anonymousreply 55March 29, 2020 1:52 PM

R54 I imagine the military will have to take over food supply lines at that point. Martial law type shit

by Anonymousreply 56March 29, 2020 1:53 PM

Quarantining New York will do no good.

We’re about to have a hundred New York situations all over this country, in every major city and many smaller ones. The virus is already there. You can’t keep it in New York.

We need a nation-wide shutdown. Nobody moves anywhere except essential workers.

by Anonymousreply 57March 29, 2020 2:09 PM

Y'all we need to build a BIG FUKING WALL around Jew York. Eat Shit and praise the Lord.!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 29, 2020 2:27 PM

NY won’t be a headline in the next two days. The entire country is about to explode. It’s pointless to even talk about Trump’s stupid quarantine yammering. He has zero ability to enforce it and that’s why he backed off so quickly. Same goes for that Rhode Island twat.

by Anonymousreply 59March 29, 2020 2:27 PM

R55: Yes, you still can - for now.

by Anonymousreply 60March 29, 2020 2:33 PM

Thx R60. I didn’t think they would be doing roadblocks at the tunnels - but the press is making it sound that way.

by Anonymousreply 61March 29, 2020 2:38 PM

r59 they've been saying that for two weeks, yet the number of cases in America is high hut deaths are low.

by Anonymousreply 62March 29, 2020 2:39 PM

Trump is a dumb jackass

by Anonymousreply 63March 29, 2020 2:42 PM

Numbers are being underreported R62.

by Anonymousreply 64March 29, 2020 2:44 PM

R62: There were over 500 new deaths yesterday with the numbers increasing daily. If that trend continues, the US death toll will be at 5K by Friday and 10K by Easter. I don't even want to estimate beyond that.

by Anonymousreply 65March 29, 2020 2:52 PM

[quote] Nobody moves anywhere except essential workers.

And we really need to re-think and re-classify who is “essential.” Just yesterday they finally determined that construction workers not building anything other than a few items were not essential. WTF took so long?

I’m sorry, but there are tons of current non-essential “essential” workers, me included.

by Anonymousreply 66March 29, 2020 2:56 PM

Trump has given up any right to claim any authority from science. He really just needs to STFU and let the doctors talk about medical matters.

by Anonymousreply 67March 29, 2020 3:00 PM

Doesnt matter Trump is opening the CUnTry back up next week. Cuomo and DiBlas are spinning.things to look up as well. They want us dead. All of them.

by Anonymousreply 68March 29, 2020 4:36 PM

If Trump wants to quarantine, then he needs to lock down and quarantine the entire country, not just NY.

He doesn’t seem to understand that the virus is spreading and while we’re all focused on NY right now because of the high numbers, another State will become the next epicenter before we know it.

I’m not anti lockdown or quarantine in general. But if he thinks he can save America by only quarantining NY, then he’s dumber than I thought.

by Anonymousreply 69March 29, 2020 4:45 PM

To add to my previous comment, it’s rally not something for Trump to just blurt our on TV or tweet about. He should have picked up the damn phone and discussed it with Cuomo first.

If the moron has time to tweet, then he certainly has time to make a phone call.

by Anonymousreply 70March 29, 2020 4:46 PM

It is interesting how conservatives seem to need to see things before believing them - like climate change, they can’t use logic or rely on scientists for information. Yet, they can believe in a God. I will never understand them.

The Breitbart commentariat is like a huge denial-fest totally in sync with Trump. The number of references to “real Americans” being safe is really disturbing.

by Anonymousreply 71March 29, 2020 4:51 PM

Before the virus, the general consensus seemed to be the Cuomo was corrupt and a bully. He is showing excellent leadership skills during this time, but, once the dust settles, isn't his reputation going to back to what it was? I don't see him as a presidential candidate, yet I also don't think it is going to be Biden. Who knows if he will get sick, but he has not shown the leadership he needs to be showing. I think we we see a left-field candidate as a result of a brokered convention.

And will someone please just fucking shoot Trump? He can't be THAT hard to get to. His constant chest puffing and misinformation is making this situation worse and worse. I have never hated anyone in my life before, until him. I want him off this earth.

by Anonymousreply 72March 29, 2020 4:54 PM

Anne Frank was 13 when she stayed in a room for two years. Americans are just a bunch of babies who deserve Trump.

by Anonymousreply 73March 29, 2020 5:02 PM

[quote] If Trump wants to quarantine, then he needs to lock down and quarantine the entire country, not just NY.

I think Trump is just trying to buy time until enough medicine is made. There are excellent recovery rates with chloroquine and many people are recovering. Praise Jeebus Tom Hanks has recovered!

And let's face it, every year a certain percentage of the population dies from the flu and there is no medicine for that.

Things won't get back to normal until the media stops hyping this.

by Anonymousreply 74March 29, 2020 5:06 PM

R74, where’s the data on the chloroquine recoveries? Any studies?

by Anonymousreply 75March 29, 2020 5:10 PM

Yes it may not be a popular opinion, but everyday I try to send some positive energy to NYC and the people there.

Stay safe. It's pointless to blockade the state or city now. It's already all over the country and has been spreading since at least the end of February.

We are going to see explosions of cases around the country over the next week as people who have traveled and spread it unknowingly get hit.

by Anonymousreply 76March 29, 2020 5:22 PM

Thank you, r76.

by Anonymousreply 77March 29, 2020 5:37 PM

[quote] I think Trump is just trying to buy time until enough medicine is made. There are excellent recovery rates with chloroquine and many people are recovering

There's a new report that it doesn't help. Trump's billionaire friends are pushing the drug.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78March 29, 2020 7:48 PM

So we have Biden On record calling for a national lockdown -after Bill Gates started it. Now he’s kissing Cuomo’s butt -who says the opposite? Is the Democratic Party a total disaster? Sure looks that way. Cuomo looks like a talking head saying whatever he thinks sounds anti-trump. Complaining about ventilators even though he has a stockpile. Getting confused a bit.

by Anonymousreply 79March 29, 2020 7:57 PM

R79 the disease is already out there thanks to DJT and the most we can do is Slow it down. We’re already doing more than our share and losing our jobs and being miserable because of it. It’s time for the Federal Government to pull their weight and not expect any more from us, we’re sacrificing more than enough, frankly.

by Anonymousreply 80March 29, 2020 9:15 PM

Speaking of DUMP, he's holding a press conference soon.

by Anonymousreply 81March 29, 2020 9:58 PM

[quote][R74], where’s the data on the chloroquine recoveries? Any studies?

Dr. Vladimir Zelenko has successfully treated 699 patients with 100% cure rate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 30, 2020 2:32 PM

R82 (admittedly stolen from another thread):

A report published by the Journal of Zhejiang University in China showed that patients who got the medicine didn’t fight off the new coronavirus more often than those who did not get the medicine.

The study involved just 30 patients. Of the 15 patients given the malaria drug, 13 tested negative for the coronavirus after a week of treatment. Of the 15 patients who didn’t get hydroxychloroquine, 14 tested negative for the virus.

Hydroxychloroquine, particularly when given with the antibiotic azithromycin, has received widespread attention following a controversial, small study of about 40 patients hospitalized with Covid-19 in France. In that study, the drug appeared to help clear the virus from the bodies of 26 patients who were given the medication, based on samples taken from nasal swabs. Experts have criticized the design of the study, calling it interesting but far from definitive.

In the Chinese study, which was conducted by researchers from the department of infection and immunity at the Shanghai Public Health Clinical Center, the 15 patients who didn’t get hydroxychloroquine were treated with conventional care.

This includes bed rest, oxgen inhalation, and the use of anti-viral drugs recommended in China’s treatment guidelines like lopinavir and ritonavir, and antibiotics when necessary.

One patient treated with hydroxychloroquine progressed to severe disease during the study. Four patients given the medicine developed diarrhea and signs of potential liver damage, compared with three getting conventional treatment.

The researchers concluded that additional studies using larger numbers of patients are needed to fully investigate the drug’s risks and benefits.

by Anonymousreply 83March 30, 2020 2:57 PM

r83, I wouldn't trust anything coming out of China right now.

by Anonymousreply 84March 30, 2020 3:03 PM

It's too late and quite frankly, it's obnoxious to the people that have followed the rules for quarantine for weeks now. You're still going to assholes running around you can't stop.

NYS unemployment is straight up hanging up on NYers, while online claims are getting screwed up. Still can't get tested unless you're privileged or dying.

The drug is basically wishful garbage.

I'm guessing other states don't look bad yet because THEY AREN'T FUCKING TESTING large amounts of people. Why is no one understanding this?? It's already spread, they just don't have numbers.

The Republicans did this on purpose. They took time selling their stocks, buying others, all while prolonging testing to keep down too much panic. Locking down NYS will not change anything at this point.

by Anonymousreply 85March 30, 2020 3:11 PM

Chloroquine is the AZT of this. pandemic. Don't be fooled. Stay alive.

by Anonymousreply 86March 30, 2020 3:26 PM

R80 You haven't begun to sacrifice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87March 30, 2020 3:31 PM

r32, first they are a communist country. And second, I don't believe that they are accurately publishing their numbers. Why would you trust them?

by Anonymousreply 88March 30, 2020 3:37 PM

R88: I don't believe the US is reporting accurate numbers either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89March 30, 2020 4:06 PM

Yes, OP, and others, why on earth would the rest of the U.S. possible want NY quarantined from the rest of the country?

I mean, they are clearly observing social distancing so well!

The article and pics below were printed Sat. and are *new*—showing just how seriously NY and its people are taking this (pics were taken by the Gothamist on Thursday and Friday, March 26th and 27th).

Btw, Los Angeles has had all of its beaches and parks (and even hiking trails) *closed down*—with police enforcement—for a while now.

But look at NY! Those “empty Times Square” pics on most of the news channels are clearly not telling the whole story here....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90March 30, 2020 4:46 PM

More stories on the Gothamist from March 21 of New Yorkers giving the middle finger to social distancing.

Who would want to quarantine these people when their local government and population is clearly taking all the social distancing *so* seriously?

I can tell you that this is not the case in CA; things are *locked down* here. You can’t set foot in a park or a beach and police are guarding them all—with the mayor of L.A. sounding more intense every day about enforcement.

Parks, hiking trails, beaches are completely cordoned off. It’s no joke here. But in NY?

“A tipster wrote Gothamist earlier this week, "At Astoria Park tonight there were 200+ people crammed onto the lit soccer field, playing soccer and generally keeping no distance between themselves. It’s one thing for parks to be crowded, but can’t the city enforce a no contact sports rule?"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91March 30, 2020 5:12 PM

Recently in 80 parks in NYC the basketball hoops were removed due to what r91 is talking about. I guess there’s more to come.

by Anonymousreply 92March 30, 2020 5:17 PM

Notice how all of the people who are out and about, are white?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93March 30, 2020 9:42 PM

Not closing off New York is going to cause needless deaths. As people have visually shown, unlike places that doing much better, New York refuses to enforce a strict lockdown.

by Anonymousreply 94March 30, 2020 10:12 PM

It’s funny I don’t see any of this whenever I step out or look out my window. I see by and large people being very mindful and careful. But of course people love to shit on New York.

Seriously, some people are taking out their shaming and resentment on the wrong people. The cats already long out of the bag. You all know for whom you should be reserving your ire.

by Anonymousreply 95March 30, 2020 10:24 PM

I don't know. Read this, R95:

"While some New Yorkers have been isolating themselves and following social distancing guidelines during the coronavirus pandemic, others in the city are being reckless regarding others’ welfare.

On Monday morning, the USNS Comfort arrived in New York City’s harbor. The hospital ship with approximately 1,000 patient beds is expected to take the non-COVID-19 patients at city’s hospitals across all five boroughs in an effort to free up space. New York City has over 36,000 reported cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, as of Monday morning. Seven hundred and ninety people have died of the disease.

Ahead of the ship’s arrival in the Hudson River, dozens of New Yorkers gathered on Manhattan’s west side to watch it arrive.

Photos from Getty Images that were also posted on social media show crowds of people gathered on Monday, most of whom are not maintaining six feet of distance from others as advised by health experts to limit the spread of the virus.

COVID-19 is thought to spread between people who are in close contact with one another, which the CDC identifies as “within about six feet.” The disease can also transmit through respiratory droplets produced when an infected person coughs or sneezes.

The ease of transmission is the reason why residents of New York state, which has become the global epicenter of the pandemic, are being directed to stay home through April 15.

Gov. Andrew Cuomo (D) also announced on Monday that New York state now has more than 66,000 cases of the coronavirus.

Those in the crowd must have missed the irony that they were putting themselves at greater risk of infection to see a ship that was there only because the city was struggling to contain infections.

Stay home. No Instagram post is worth your life."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96March 30, 2020 10:27 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!