Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Jameela Jamil Admits She Could Have Picked a Better Time to Come Out as Queer

Jameela Jamil isn’t interested in being perfect.

“Sometimes, I do f— up, but I always apologize when I’ve gotten it wrong,” she told said in a candid interview on “Variety Live,” which streams via Variety’s Instagram account. “I learn, and other people learn with me.”

And she definitely isn’t afraid to back down from a (social media) fight, specifically when it comes to grappling with the physical and mental health struggles. In February, the “The Good Place” actor engaged in a public back-and-forth with a writer who accused her of having Munchausen syndrome, which Jamil denied.

“I’m not someone who rises above. I don’t turn the other cheek. I’m not Jesus. I’ll get down in the gutter and fight you,” she said.

Of course, Jamil is no stranger to controversy. She was criticized for her participation in the upcoming ball culture competition show “Legendary” on HBO Max; ball culture was founded mostly by the black and Latinx LGBTQ community in the late 1980s.

Shortly thereafter, Jamil came out as queer, something she admitted she could have timed better, although she it’s something she has known about herself since she was a child.

“I didn’t tell anyone about it until a couple of years ago, so I just kept it quiet ‘cause I come from a South Asian background. So, you just don’t really have a lot of queer idols. There isn’t a lot of conversation around it. There isn’t a lot of acceptance for it within my culture, traditionally,” said the British actor, who is of Indian and Pakistani descent.

The outspoken actor is hoping to start some conversations, though, on- and offline. In 2018, Jamil launched I Weigh, a mental health movement, and will be debuting a podcast focused on feminism and mental health advocacy. Guests include Tarana Burke, Russell Brand, Gloria Steinem and Neal Brennan, among others; the first episode debuts April 3, featuring “Booksmart” star Beanie Feldstein, who Jamil called a “f—ing ray of sunshine.”

She also lends her voice as Auntie Pushpa in Disney Junior’s new animated kids’ show “Mira, Royal Detective.” Set in the fictional, India-inspired kingdom of Jalpur, the show centers on 8-year-old Mira who solves cases around the city with the help of her two mongoose friends. It features an exclusively South Asian voice cast, including Kal Penn, Freida Pinto, Hannah Simone and Utkarsh Ambudkar.

Jamil hopes that young viewers, especially those of South Asian descent, can see themselves as heroes of their own stories.

“I know I grew up thinking something was wrong with me because I wasn’t thin, white with long blonde curly hair, a two-inch waist. So to now have this young South Asian girl as the hero and she’s not waiting for a prince to save her — she’s the one saving the prince if anything, she’s saving the whole town,” said Jamil.

In the meantime, Jamil, like many others, is practicing social distancing, helping her Grammy-winning musician boyfriend James Blake livestream “concerts” from home, logging off social media and checking in with her former “The Good Place” co-stars, like Manny Jacinto, whom she worried about because of the uptick in anti-Asian bigotry spurred by the coronavirus pandemic (Jacinto is Filipino Canadian).

She’s also writing a book and contemplating penning a screenplay.

“I’ve never had a plan, which is my career has been so stupid,” she said cheekily, touching on her various jobs as a TV host, presenter and actor. “Maybe I’ll be a rapper next. I don’t know.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 30, 2020 8:09 PM

What an attention whore.

What she really means is that this stupid coronavirus pandemic stole all her thunder!

She didn't get as much publicity from it, had there been no pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 1March 28, 2020 11:59 PM

Someone make this bitch STFU!

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2020 12:02 AM

[quote] and checking in with her former “The Good Place” co-stars, like Manny Jacinto, whom she worried about because of the uptick in anti-Asian bigotry spurred by the coronavirus pandemic (Jacinto is Filipino Canadian).

Uh, I’m good.

(Will someone get this bitch to leave me alone??)

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2020 12:11 AM

She's dating James Blake?

Do they share vag or something?

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2020 12:15 AM

There's a good time to come out? What exactly did she come out as again? Queer means straight with dyed hair nowadays

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2020 12:16 AM

[quote] Jameela Jamil Comes Out as Queer

Of course she does

[quote] Jameela Jamil isn’t interested in being perfect

She's interested in inserting herself into every subject or topic of conversation that she can.

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2020 12:18 AM

Is her goal to the be the South Asian Goop? God, she's just... the worst. I'm Indian and it's still exciting to see people of South Asian descent be visible and successful in fields in which we've traditionally been underrepresented. In this case, I wouldn't blink an eye if she retired tomorrow and was never seen or heard from again.

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2020 12:19 AM

I am surprised she hasn't said she has COVID 19 yet. I figured we would hear some story about getting chased by bees and then she somehow got the virus and she would be posting pics of her with oxygen tanks or the like.

by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2020 12:20 AM

Her character on The Good Place is the best. You all are so petty.

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2020 12:21 AM

In my experience, nowadays queer means straight but with extra steps.

by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2020 1:59 AM

WHO?

by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2020 2:04 AM

Why in the very best are making a mistake then apologizing and educating!

Ugh. She sucks the life out of me.

by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2020 2:11 AM

R8 well now that's definitely going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2020 4:28 AM

She fancies herself a raconteur, which doesn't translate well in the age of social media. No one cared if Judy Garland told whoppers, but if she was on Twitter, they sure as hell would.

That said (and I've mentioned this before) somewhere -- I thought here on Datalounge -- there was a rumor years ago that she dumped her girlfriend the second she landed the part on "Good Place" and pretended to be straight for her career.

by Anonymousreply 14March 29, 2020 4:35 AM

call me when she actually eats pussy

by Anonymousreply 15March 29, 2020 4:38 AM

Indian women are just horrible in every way.

by Anonymousreply 16March 29, 2020 4:38 AM

Jameela has been out as being not straight for at least a year, but she "came out" officially to deflect from criticism for producing and hosting that ballroom drag show, which she probably has no business hosting.

She's also DL fave Oliver Jackson-Cohen's longterm hag, but to their credit, they never pretended to date.

by Anonymousreply 17March 29, 2020 4:39 AM

She said she wasn't hosting that show from the very beginning, and I believe her on that. Her usual M.O. is to wait until she hears a lot of criticism and then backtrack, but that's not what happened this time, she said it literally minutes after the show was announced before the criticism really ramped up.

I know with her multiple versions of bee stories that it's hard to take what she says as the truth, but I really think in this instance she was never meant to be the host.

by Anonymousreply 18March 29, 2020 4:45 AM

Why do we always get stuck with these British rejects like Simon Cowell, Pierce Morgan, and Jameela Jamil?

by Anonymousreply 19March 29, 2020 4:45 AM

Piers Morgan is a walking, talking pile of filth, a Murdoch lackey who would gladly see any of us dead if he could make a couple of pennies from it. There is no Brit import we have who comes even close to his level.

by Anonymousreply 20March 29, 2020 4:47 AM

[quote]Pierce Morgan

Oh dear.

by Anonymousreply 21March 29, 2020 4:48 AM

[quote]She said she wasn't hosting that show from the very beginning,

She is hosting it, she's just not the main emcee - that's what she immediately corrected. The show has several co-hosts a la The Voice. Megan Thee Stallion, who does not identify as gay or bi or trans, is also a host.

by Anonymousreply 22March 29, 2020 4:56 AM

Didn't they originally say she was the MC, though?

I used the word "host" when I meant "MC," sorry about that.

by Anonymousreply 23March 29, 2020 5:05 AM

Yes, as my post said, she's not the main emcee, but she is a host, and many people used her coming out as bisexual - which is what she obviously means - as an opportunistic deflection.

by Anonymousreply 24March 29, 2020 5:46 AM

The pandemic has revealed just how vacuous and irrelevant these attention seeking ‘woke’ celebrities are. She is so self absorbed and gone deaf she still doesn’t get that people people really have other things on their minds. That every issue has to be about herself is also thrown into painful relief.

I really hope if we come out the other side we won’t go back to giving people like this so much time.

by Anonymousreply 25March 29, 2020 6:31 AM

She’s fine on The Good Place, but she seems like she would be exhausting as a friend. I’ve heard that people in England hate her and looks like the US is on the way to doing the same, but her obnoxiousness is a slight distraction from all the coronavirus worries, so I’ll give her that.

by Anonymousreply 26March 29, 2020 7:04 AM

It's common knowledge that D'Arcy Carden can't stand her, at least.

by Anonymousreply 27March 29, 2020 8:02 AM

[quote]Yes, as my post said, she's not the main emcee, but she is a host

Right, but the advertising first said she was the MC or main host, and THAT is what she denied, and she was right: she was never the main MC. That wasn't a lie on her part.

I don't know why she decided to come out as a deflection afterwards but I suspect it was because some LGBT folks had auditioned and lost to her and she felt she had to justify why she was even on the show, but that was unnecessary, like half of what she says.

by Anonymousreply 28March 29, 2020 8:09 AM

[quote]Pierce Morgan

I always call him that. I heckled the shit out of him on twitter one day. He blocked me after I called him pierce pugh (his real last name is pugh)

by Anonymousreply 29March 29, 2020 6:27 PM

Who? Ohhh...; a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 30March 29, 2020 6:29 PM

[quote] it's still exciting to see people of South Asian descent be visible and successful in fields in which we've traditionally been underrepresented. In this case, I wouldn't blink an eye if she retired tomorrow and was never seen or heard from again.

Agreed. Her and Priyanka Chopra are two South Asian mediocrities than need to go away.

by Anonymousreply 31March 29, 2020 6:31 PM

She's annoying as fuck.

Send Jameela, James Corden and Simon Cowell BACK.

by Anonymousreply 32March 29, 2020 10:19 PM

[quote] It's common knowledge that D'Arcy Carden can't stand her, at least.

Tell me more! I knew I loved that actress...great in “Barry” too. She also had a brief but moving scene in that Molly Shannon cancer movie from a few years back.

by Anonymousreply 33March 29, 2020 10:25 PM

She has the look of someone who is constantly craving attention.

by Anonymousreply 34March 29, 2020 10:44 PM

[quote] She has the look of someone who is constantly craving attention.

It's called, being THIRSTY.

by Anonymousreply 35March 29, 2020 10:50 PM

R33 not much to say other than long-standing rumor and the fact that D'Arcy has liked a few very anti-Jameela posts on Instagram before. Specifically she liked several posts calling her a pathological liar with Munchausen syndrome. I am not a Jameela fan but I actually thought those posts were kind of gross in their assumptions about mental illness and the OP ended up deleting them when she got called out on multiple errors in her "timeline." But D'Arcy liked them and apparently doesn't follow her on Instagram.

by Anonymousreply 36March 30, 2020 12:59 AM

Doesn’t Queer by definition just mean odd or strange, different from the normal? Why bother “coming out” if you’re in a hetero relationship? Props to her, I guess. What a shining light during these dark times.

by Anonymousreply 37March 30, 2020 3:48 AM

Best time would be never because this dumb cunt isn’t even queer and just thought she was being trendy.

by Anonymousreply 38March 30, 2020 3:54 AM

She's been out as bisexual on her Twitter for at least a year and a half. Bisexuals, by definition, are sometimes in opposite-sex relationships.

by Anonymousreply 39March 30, 2020 8:09 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!