Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Baha'i Faith

Thoughts?

by Anonymousreply 32March 30, 2020 11:40 PM

Homophobic.

by Anonymousreply 1March 29, 2020 1:21 AM

Made up.

by Anonymousreply 2March 29, 2020 1:29 AM

a post-Islamic version of Mormonism.

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2020 1:39 AM

R2? They're all made up.

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2020 2:01 AM

Hmm.

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2020 11:41 AM

The Baha'i faith, like Sikhism, was suppose to be a yet another means of ending internecine tribal warfare and uniting disparate peoples in world brotherhood.

Like the Druze, Baha'i started in Iran as a breakaway from Islam. And like Druze, Baha'i were and remain persecuted by Muslims. The Baháʼu'lláh and Baha'i followers were expelled from Iran and made their way to Haifa, Israel, which is today the world headquarters of the Baha'i. The burial place of the Baháʼu'lláh is the Baha'i Shrine, a prominent gold-domed building on the side of Mt. Carmel. The Baha'i Gardens in Akko, directly across the Bay from Haifa, was where the Baháʼu'lláh spent the last years of his life.

Baha'i from all over the world come to Haifa on pilgrimage and to volunteer in the Baha'i complex, which includes the Baha'i Hall of Justice, to which entry is forbidden by non-Baha'i. In addition to the Baha'i Shrine, the Baha'i spent $60 Million to build a lovely garden from the top of Mt. Carmel all the way down to the bottom.

The Baha'i stay way out of politics. The interesting things about Baha'i is that you can be a (pick your belief) AND Baha'i. Also Baha'i only accept donations from other Baha'i. There are approximately 6 million Baha'i worldwide. There are somewhere between 200,000 and half a million Baha'i in the US and approximately 6,000 in Britain.

Vis-a-vis Baha'i and gay, the Baha'i view is to reject sexual puritanism, that the family is the foundation of society, and marriage is between a man and a woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2020 12:14 PM

They let the dogs out.

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2020 12:30 PM

Anyone whose leader is "the Bab" is fine by me

There are NO DIACRITICAL marks in English

by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2020 1:35 PM

Is went to Quaker schools and we seemed to have a lot of Baha’i . I always assumed it was vaguely Quaker/Unitarian. But never really bothered to learn. Interesting to know it started in Iran out of Islam.

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2020 2:03 PM

There have already been several threads on this OP. Would it have killed you to have done a search before you posted this? Would it? What’s wrong with having a little consideration for others and doing a search first? Would it really have been that hard? Would it? Are you going to be able to give us an honest answer to this? Are you?

by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2020 3:59 PM

The Would It Have Killed You Troll is back from having his sorry ass banned.

by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2020 4:08 PM

[quote] Made up.

Tell us about the one that is not “made up.”

by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2020 4:40 PM

I had a professor who was one. She grew up extremely conservative but then renounced her faith and decided she was bisexual.

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2020 4:44 PM

Claims to be all about science, but if so, then they should have officially accepted gays by now but because its main base of operations now is homophobic India, they haven't. That said, I think in North America probably a majority of them are gay.

by Anonymousreply 14March 29, 2020 4:47 PM

Baha'i Baha'i Birdie.

by Anonymousreply 15March 29, 2020 4:47 PM

They don't bother anyone. Lots of Iranian-American professionals are Baha'i.

by Anonymousreply 16March 29, 2020 4:58 PM

[quote]but because its main base of operations now is homophobic India, they haven't.

India?

There base is Haifa Israel.

by Anonymousreply 17March 29, 2020 5:01 PM

*Their base is Haifa Israel.

by Anonymousreply 18March 29, 2020 5:01 PM

R9's motto:

DUH.

by Anonymousreply 19March 29, 2020 5:05 PM

Their HQ is Haifa, Israel but there are very few Bahai in Israel Over 2 million in India, where their Lotus Temple is said to be one of the most visited buildings in the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 29, 2020 6:33 PM

England Dan and John Ford Coley were Baha'i and that is about all I know. It isn't a prominent cult.

by Anonymousreply 21March 30, 2020 10:53 AM

Seals and Crofts were Baha'i.

Cher was for a bit or at least toyed with the idea.

by Anonymousreply 22March 30, 2020 1:21 PM

When I studied abroad in Ecuador for a semester, I was placed with a Baha'i family -- a British man, his wife, and their two teenage kids. They were nice enough and didn't push anything religious/Jesus-y upon me. Their faith did make my initial housewarming gift of wine a bit awkward though..

They seemed big on the One World, One Human Race belief. To be honest, I left just about as confused about what their religion is as I was before, but I'm not too big on theology...

by Anonymousreply 23March 30, 2020 5:15 PM

They seem peaceful.

by Anonymousreply 24March 30, 2020 10:08 PM

They have a nice song and they will call you

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 30, 2020 10:16 PM

Aren’t Eva La Rue and Rainn Wilson of the Baha’i faith?

by Anonymousreply 26March 30, 2020 10:48 PM

There is a Baha'i temple in some near north suburb of Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 27March 30, 2020 10:54 PM

They have some beautiful temples.

Chile

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 30, 2020 10:57 PM

It's viewed by some as a modern and more moderate Islam.

by Anonymousreply 29March 30, 2020 11:35 PM

A bunch of bullshit. My childhood neighbor tried to get me indoctrinated. It's all lovely lovely, until you read the horrible purple poetry filled with misogyny and homophobia.

Their prophet married a child, too. Just like Mohammad.

by Anonymousreply 30March 30, 2020 11:38 PM

In Evanston, R27. I grew up near it, and their visitors have NO manners.

by Anonymousreply 31March 30, 2020 11:39 PM

Carole Lombard's mom was Bahai, and Carole studied it before they both died in the plane crash.

by Anonymousreply 32March 30, 2020 11:40 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!