Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dreams

Why do our brains create entertainment, including sitcoms, dramas, thrillers, entire songs, while we’re sleeping?

Just to entertain us?

Some of them have absolutely no meaning or double meaning.

Why?!

by Anonymousreply 25April 5, 2020 4:33 PM

I have lot of those myself, Nancy....very, very detailed, with plots and everything.

How are you, Nancy?

by Anonymousreply 1March 28, 2020 10:30 PM

As a crazy, elderly phsychiatrist said to me a long time ago: "Dreams don't mean a fuckin' thing!" One of his other favorite sayins was: "All work is shit."

by Anonymousreply 2March 28, 2020 10:57 PM

I've had dreams with songs that don't exist. How did I compose it without even knowing how to compose a song? Like being in a mall and hearing a song with vocals.

by Anonymousreply 3March 29, 2020 2:33 AM

Me too, R3. I used to wake up regularly to such beautiful music still "playing" from my dreams.

by Anonymousreply 4March 29, 2020 3:08 AM

A dream is the fulfillment of a wish.

by Anonymousreply 5March 29, 2020 3:12 AM

R5 Then George Michael must have died happy, because I sure as hell fulfilled my wish one night long ago

by Anonymousreply 6March 29, 2020 3:17 AM

It's your brain learning and evolving. New neural connections are being created, scenarios are being played or replayed multiple times.

by Anonymousreply 7March 29, 2020 4:45 AM

There is no such thing as dreams. It;s all fake news

by Anonymousreply 8March 29, 2020 6:47 AM

Some dreams give you a sense of control that helps you cope.

Some others help you solve problems. I understand the structure of DNA came to its discoverer in a dream.

by Anonymousreply 9March 29, 2020 6:56 AM

OP - Did you dream that you landed a triple axel in competition? What an amazing dream that must have been.

by Anonymousreply 10March 29, 2020 7:02 AM

Dreams are way of cataloguing what we see and experience. The vividness helps the process.

by Anonymousreply 11March 29, 2020 7:02 AM

I had an amazing sex dream last night, then I woke up and was sad :(

by Anonymousreply 12March 29, 2020 7:06 AM

Last night I dreamt that I had sex with my ex. Then I found out he got his girlfriend pregnant.

by Anonymousreply 13March 29, 2020 7:21 AM

I'm not into that New Age shit, but I keep a dream catcher underneath the framed poster of Marilyn Monroe above my bed. I've had less nightmares ever since. I also write down all of my dreams and nightmares in a Wizard of Oz diary I keep on my nightstand. My dreams are often cinematic and surreal.

by Anonymousreply 14March 29, 2020 7:22 AM

R14 What misappropriated quote is on your Marilyn poster?

by Anonymousreply 15March 29, 2020 7:56 AM

[quote]I had an amazing sex dream last night, then I woke up and was sad :(

you're an old whore, darlin'....just like Gabrielle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 29, 2020 8:05 AM

Usually I can make sense of my dreams as processing the day that preceded it.

I just woke up from a doozy, but there were elements of Our new reality: I was trying to avoid walking past a coughing man, and was relieved that I wouldn’t be able to attend a destination wedding. Also a dead family member was working as a bartender, wearing a fabulous pink sequined dress she’d never have worn in real life.

by Anonymousreply 17March 29, 2020 9:21 AM

R15 No quotes. Just a photo of her wearing the iconic golden gown designed by William Travilla.

by Anonymousreply 18March 30, 2020 4:53 AM

Studies have shown that you retain your studies better if you sleep after studying, as long as you don’t drink.

by Anonymousreply 19March 30, 2020 5:46 AM

At night as the body relaxes, your brain fires random neurons to help it release energy and reorganize.

This is just random. However your brain is wired to always make sense out of things. This is why we see things or hear things that aren't necessarily so (such as "Paul is dead, when played backwards on a record player."

That doesn't exist but our mind needs to make some sense out of the randomness. Thus dreams and it also explains why dreams tend to be symbolic and with training you can influence them

by Anonymousreply 20March 30, 2020 7:54 AM

I usually have dull dreams. But for a period of a few weeks earlier this year I was dreaming about swimming in the ocean every other night.

by Anonymousreply 21March 30, 2020 11:13 AM

Is anyone having disturbing dreams to do with their unprocessed traumas, thanks to this lockdown?

Recently my mind has been chucking up all kinds of fucked up scenes, to do with old hurts of which I thought I’d let go. For example, two nights ago I dreamt that I purposely pushed my late younger sister into moving traffic to die - in waking life she passed two years ago of an illness at an age far beyond her predicted span. I did not know my sister well or grow up living with her as a family member, because she was adopted out as a baby to a different family on account of her severe cerebral palsy. She died at age 25; the doctors never believed she’d see 18. My mother has stressed to me over the years that letting a family with more money and space and experience in childcare/special needs care than us was the best decision and that we should feel no guilt, but I guess the little two year-old kid in me still feels immense torment and blame over the whole thing.

I’ve never dreamt of my sister before in my life, so I’m assuming the weird psychological effects of lockdown might be the culprit.

by Anonymousreply 22April 5, 2020 11:03 AM

I'm an insomniac and can't tell you how much I miss this nightly entertainment. Having vivid dreams means you slept well and processed all that happened during the day. God, how I miss 8 hours of uninterrupted sleep with a great ludicrous dream.

by Anonymousreply 23April 5, 2020 12:52 PM

I had the weirdest dream about sharpening kitchen knives last night. I have no idea what that means.

by Anonymousreply 24April 5, 2020 4:14 PM

I posted this on another thread once. I don't remember my dreams. Nothing, all my life. I wake with zero sense I have dreamed. I have never "had" a nightmare, never woke up scared, never had a flying or falling, teeth falling out or any everyone seems to have. Never had a sex or wet dream.

I know I must dream but because I don't remember anything, I use the phrase I never had. All my life friends would say "I had the strangest or wild dream and I just couldn't relate. I quit a therapist because she just wouldn't believe me. She said keep a pad and pencil by the bed and write down exactly what your thinking as soon as you awake. She didn't get I open my eyes and nothing is there but looking at the ceiling. Even naps, nothing. After a few visits with nothing to report she actually screamed at me EVERYBODY DREAMS! I got up and left. I have zero to gain by claiming it this, it's just my life

by Anonymousreply 25April 5, 2020 4:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!