Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Actors/Actresses Who Want An Oscar

Who are some actors/actress that are thirsty for an Oscar? In terms of actresses, Saoirse Ronan doesn’t do any film that isn’t Oscar bait.

by Anonymousreply 34March 30, 2020 3:08 PM

Um...all of them?

by Anonymousreply 1March 27, 2020 8:24 PM

I was that little girl.

by Anonymousreply 2March 27, 2020 8:28 PM

AnnE probably wants another one even though "it came true."

by Anonymousreply 3March 27, 2020 8:28 PM

Glenn Close

They've cheated her out of one so many times. It really seemed like her last nomination was going to be the one, but then it wasn't.

by Anonymousreply 4March 27, 2020 8:30 PM

Saorsie is the new Meryl. Meryl did the same for years, no matter if the film was bad, her role was interesting enough to be in the oscar race.

Other one who clearly wants an oscar is Timothee Chalamet, but odds are against him because the academy prefer older actors in the male cathegories

by Anonymousreply 5March 27, 2020 8:31 PM

Kate Winslet used to define what this thread is about. She's certainly talented but she wanted that Oscar SO badly. And she persisted so relentlessly and ruthlessly until she won it for "the Reader". Strangely, once she got it, her career seemed to have run out of gas, with her doing trashy and mediocre movies and hardly anything worth any critical acclaim. The only thing she was in I thoroughly enjoyed in her post-Oscar opus was "Carnage" which goes back to 2011.

by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2020 8:39 PM

With Ronan, I think she just likes doing those type of roles, but she’s never really mounted a true “I want an Oscar” campaign, like Winslet or DiCaprio or Hathaway.

She and Amy Adams are probably in the situation that all they need to do right now is ask for it and Academy voters will probably oblige, but neither has.

Bradley Cooper definitely wants one. And despite never even coming close to a nomination, so does Ryan Reynolds.

by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2020 8:40 PM

Glenn!!!!

by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2020 8:42 PM

Hasn't the poor dear suffered enough?

by Anonymousreply 9March 27, 2020 9:16 PM

R6 you’re forgetting Steve Jobs. Kate was great in it and got a second nomination (won the Globe as well).

I agree about Ronan, R7. If she’s thirsty for Oscar she hides it well during campaign season.

by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2020 9:23 PM

Kate got another nomination, not a second. It was like her seventh.

by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2020 9:25 PM

Saoirse Ronan owns this thread. In between Lady Bird and Little Women, she’s had On Chisel Beach, The Seagull, and Mary Queen of Scots. One failed Oscar bait after another. She wants an Oscar and we’ll keep trying until she gets one.

by Anonymousreply 12March 28, 2020 6:51 PM

I agree that with Saoirse Ronan it's not that she herself is aggressively pursuing it, but that she's been the directors' darling and so everyone wants to cast her for prestige projects. She's sort of like Joan Allen in the 90s that way.

Now, Bradley Cooper is actually aggressively pursuing an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 13March 28, 2020 6:56 PM

Poor Diane Ladd, with her category fraud conspiracy theory....

by Anonymousreply 14March 28, 2020 7:04 PM

Kate Winslet has really tried to emulate Cate Blanchett's career. Wonder Wheel was supposed to be her Blue Jasmine oscar bait project and Ammonite will be her Carol oscar bait project.

by Anonymousreply 15March 28, 2020 7:08 PM

Winslet is great and she was nominated for her first oscar before anyone had heard of Blanchett

by Anonymousreply 16March 28, 2020 7:26 PM

I'm a big Winslet fan but even the best actresses ( Our Meryl is the exception) when they reach 40 have to produce their own projects.

Also recently almost everyone who wins an Oscar has a career decline. Nicole Kidman and Cate seem to be thriving and even Our Meryl hasn't done much except that newspaper movie.

by Anonymousreply 17March 28, 2020 10:42 PM

Even Meryl had a career decline when she hit her forties. Yes, they still threw her Oscar nominations, but the nineties had only a few actual hits for her, like Bridges of Madison County. It was only in the early 2000s when her career picked up again.

by Anonymousreply 18March 28, 2020 11:30 PM

Joaquin Phoenix probably wants Rooney Mara to win an Oscar so she can deliver a pro-vegan speech written by him.

by Anonymousreply 19March 28, 2020 11:34 PM

Joaquin Phoenix probably wants Rooney Mara to win an Oscar so she can deliver a pro-vegan speech written by him.

by Anonymousreply 20March 28, 2020 11:34 PM

Michelle Williams

by Anonymousreply 21March 28, 2020 11:45 PM

Reese Witherspoon probably wants a comeback Oscar. She's probably digging through tons of novels to find something that would work as an Oscar bait movie for her star in.

by Anonymousreply 22March 29, 2020 12:08 AM

I like Ronan and I think she's very classy but she's not versatile at all. You can see a lot of similarities in her performances. She's a good actress but versatility is not her strong suit.

by Anonymousreply 23March 29, 2020 1:15 AM

No one comes to mind...

by Anonymousreply 24March 29, 2020 3:02 AM

I know someone who desperately wants one. Whether or not she deserves one is another story.

by Anonymousreply 25March 29, 2020 3:09 AM

In utterly unrelated news, Saoirse Ronan is next playing a lesbian in a period piece romance drama opposite Kate Winslet.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 29, 2020 3:19 AM

It’s directed by Francis Lee, who did God’s Own Country. Not quite the pedigree of Carol, but that’s still promising.

by Anonymousreply 27March 29, 2020 3:28 AM

R26 When that movie was first announced, there was article about that show Ronan and Winslet together at some event and I thought they looked like they could be related.

by Anonymousreply 28March 29, 2020 4:27 AM

R21 Yes. Michele is so thirsty, I'm sure she believes she deserves an Oscar just for this ridiculous clip.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 30, 2020 1:45 PM

Nobody is as thirsty as Jessica Chastain.

by Anonymousreply 30March 30, 2020 1:52 PM

Winning the Jean Hersholt Humanitarian Award is my 15 year goal.

Having it renamed the Jameela Jamil Humanitarian Award is my 30 year goal.

by Anonymousreply 31March 30, 2020 2:18 PM

Fuck you all!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 30, 2020 2:19 PM

Kate Winslet has gone down on a fair amount of women... in the course of her career, hasn’t she? Or am I just making her for handsome?

by Anonymousreply 33March 30, 2020 3:08 PM

Meghan Markdown.

by Anonymousreply 34March 30, 2020 3:08 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!