Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

What gay news sources do you trust?

Aside from dear DL (of course), where do you get your queer news? I only know of a few options, not including mainstream news that have gay anchors, like Anderson.

Joe.My.God - I just don't like him. Maybe it's the ridiculous jaunty little hat he wears in his profile pic. But also bc he seems like a massive dick.

Towleroad - good but not great

Queerty - I think they got bought by BuzzFeed? Most of their reporting is limited to a Twitter search.

NewNowNext - ok but largely forgettable

Any suggestions?

by Anonymousreply 18March 28, 2020 7:47 AM

JMG Joe also has a massive dick so maybe that's why he's a massive dick.

by Anonymousreply 1March 27, 2020 9:26 PM

Of all those, only JMG is readable. He figured out a few years ago that JUST doing gay stories is not workable so it's really a politics and current event page with mainly gay readers. Queerty is horrible in every aspect and Towleroad is boring.

by Anonymousreply 2March 27, 2020 9:31 PM

JMG is an excellent source of the most current news. He really does post links to many newsworthy items from a very wide assortment of media. The weakness of the site, for me, at least, is that this is counter-balanced by what I call 'outrage' items; basically, some minor right-wing asshole sends out a press release saying something horrible, Joe posts it, and 200 people vent their outrage at whatever the asshole has said. It's kind of pointless, except for letting off steam. While some of the comments are problematic in one way or another, they are certainly worse here on Datalounge, where there is a much higher number of trolls and unhinged loons.

But if you want a decent overview of the news from a gay perspective, Joe's the place to go, An informed reader will follow up, confirm facts, and treat it as a decent but slanted viewpoint.

by Anonymousreply 3March 27, 2020 9:38 PM

R3 Yeah, and his anti-religous fervor can be a bit much. I like most of the comments too. Certainly slanted but sane.

by Anonymousreply 4March 27, 2020 10:07 PM

Joe is the best of that bunch. Buzzfeed isn't bad but its entertainment side doesn't exactly boost news credibility.

I am a person of faith but JMG's anti-religious focus is worthy to me, because it calls out two virulent strains = dangerous evangelicals and abusive Catholics.

by Anonymousreply 5March 27, 2020 10:16 PM

JoeMyGod is the best gay news site. Yes lots of politics - but politics has been critical to gay life for the past 20+ years. Otherwise it could only be like Queerty - links to Instagram hoes and nonsense.

by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2020 10:17 PM

I actually like the regulars who comment on the JMG posts.

by Anonymousreply 7March 28, 2020 1:05 AM

Honestly, DL

by Anonymousreply 8March 28, 2020 1:08 AM

Gay City News (NYC)

Washington Blade

Los Angles Blade

Bay Area Reporter (SF)

South Florida Gay News

Xtra (Canada)

by Anonymousreply 9March 28, 2020 1:10 AM

My BFF Stephan

by Anonymousreply 10March 28, 2020 1:16 AM

I like DataLounge best of all. It's not roped in by just one person's overall viewpoint (like Joe and Andy) and many of the comments here have more common sense and nail things better than most sanitized and boring news media websites.

by Anonymousreply 11March 28, 2020 1:22 AM

JMG generally has good content, though the comments section is a complete echo chamber. Towleroad.com just doesn't update frequently enough, though it sometimes has unique content.

by Anonymousreply 12March 28, 2020 1:33 AM

Queerty is just god awful.

by Anonymousreply 13March 28, 2020 1:51 AM

The Advocate website.

by Anonymousreply 14March 28, 2020 1:55 AM

Pink News.

by Anonymousreply 15March 28, 2020 1:55 AM

I like Towleroad and Greg in Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 16March 28, 2020 1:57 AM

Most gays outside DL are fantasists, fabulists and prevaricators so I don't trust them. I prefer bitchy, cunty cynics around here.

by Anonymousreply 17March 28, 2020 7:03 AM

Only DataLounge, DataLounge only. Lots of bitches here have the scoop hours, if not days, before mainstream media catches up.

by Anonymousreply 18March 28, 2020 7:47 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!