Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

It's not possible to get groceries delivered in central NJ?

I just spoke to my 80-year-old (but quite fit) mother. My parents drove up from their winter place in Florida last weekend thinking they'd be better isolated from Corona in their detached house in New Jersey than in an apartment in Florida. But in Florida, my mother had all their groceries delivered -- she said Aldi, Publix, everyplace delivered, no problem.

Now back in Jersey, she says she can't find a supermarket that will do home delivery or even curbside pickup! She tried all the chains -- Shoprite, Walmart, McCaffrey's -- nobody will deliver. So she spent an hour and a half in a Shoprite yesterday, at her age. Their only other option is Whole Foods delivery via Amazon. And they're not in the boondocks, they're near Princeton.

Can that be for real? Does anyone know if and why NJ supermarkets don't deliver?

by Anonymousreply 81April 5, 2020 4:30 PM

I'm afraid your mother is going to die. And it's your fault for not being there to do her grocery shopping for her.

by Anonymousreply 1March 27, 2020 7:29 PM

OP you let your 80 year old mother go to NEW JERSEY, at the center of the epidemic?

She has my prayers.

by Anonymousreply 2March 27, 2020 7:30 PM

She needs the Shipt app. They give you a selection of stores to order from and they do the shopping and delivery.

by Anonymousreply 3March 27, 2020 7:31 PM

She needs to use Shipt or Instacart.

by Anonymousreply 4March 27, 2020 7:34 PM

Wait -- let me wrap my mind around this! Your parents chose Jersey over Florida? I shudder just thinking about this.

by Anonymousreply 5March 27, 2020 7:35 PM

My parents have lived in NJ for over 40 years, r5. It's their home, and they have a large house on over an acre, so it would be good place to distance -- if you could get your groceries delivered, and didn't have to go out for them!

I just don't understand why delivery should be a problem.

by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2020 7:38 PM

(I also thought it was a bad idea for them to drive back to NJ, for what it's worth, but it's useless arguing with them.)

by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2020 7:40 PM

OP your parents should have looked into grocery delivery before going back to New Jersey. Or you should have looked into it for them.

I hope you had a nice Christmas (or Hannukah, given the central Jersey/Florida locations).

by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2020 7:46 PM

It's a dilemma. Either way, either place, they're fucked.

by Anonymousreply 9March 27, 2020 7:50 PM

I can't believe they don't have Instacart. I live in the LA suburbs and I can't get Amazon Fresh, but every single local grocery chain uses Instacart (including places like Costco) and many (like Vons/Albertsons) have their own delivery service as well. Can't you just check on their websites for her?

by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2020 7:50 PM

OP, have you tried Wegmans via Instacart?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2020 7:50 PM

I know of one ShopRite in western New Jersey that delivers, or did. But they would also just pick your groceries if you ordered online and then give you a pick up time. You don't even have to get out of your car. There are designated parking slots at the side of the store. This service cost $10. See if that's available.

by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2020 7:54 PM

Thanks for the Instacart tip -- I'll look into that for them. It just honestly never occurred to me that supermarkets in NJ wouldn't have their own delivery services, when even in Florida they do.

My mother was looking for that kind of curbside service, r12, and called the local ShopRite, but they apparently don't offer it.

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2020 7:55 PM

Walmart Supercenters usually have curbside pickup. Order online, they bring it out to your car.

by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2020 7:58 PM

[quote](I also thought it was a bad idea for them to drive back to NJ, for what it's worth, but it's useless arguing with them

I'd rather a house with land over an apartment, especially as it's their main home. No wonder they wanted to get back.

by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2020 8:46 PM

Too bad she moved locations. Should have stayed put.

Can you try TaskRabbit, see if someone's willing to do a shopping run for her?

by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2020 8:50 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2020 8:55 PM

I know someone who tried to place a home delivery order with Giant here in Philly last Saturday, 3/21. She was informed the first available delivery time would be this Sunday, 3/29.

by Anonymousreply 18March 27, 2020 8:56 PM

OP, if they drove all the way from FL to NJ, surely they can drive just to a grocery store for one day and stock up. They can go really early when no one's around. Plus, Princeton is not an area hard hit by the virus.

by Anonymousreply 19March 27, 2020 9:22 PM

Sounds like she is calling individual stores vs. using amazon fresh or instacart. Just place an order for her.

by Anonymousreply 20March 27, 2020 9:30 PM

OP, Stop & Shop has a delivery service called Peapod. I used it recently and, as I mentioned on another thread, although they were completely booked up for the next two weeks, I decided to wait until after midnight to see if they would add another day to the end of their two-week list. I kept refreshing after midnight and, all of a sudden, a delivery window popped up for the next day and I grabbed it. I went onto Coupon Cabin and I found a Peapod coupon that gave me a first time use coupon of $20 off of $75 and free delivery for the next sixty days, which usually costs $9.95. BTW, they did add on another day some time that night but I went to bed so I don't know when it was added.

by Anonymousreply 21March 27, 2020 9:33 PM

I just tried to use Instacart and deliveries not available at my local supermarket due to extreme demand. Probably this will become widespread.

by Anonymousreply 22March 27, 2020 10:23 PM

You have to plan ahead. I used Instacart for Aldi on Tuesday; it won't be delivered until next Monday. Walmart only allows you to schedule a pickup for the current day or the following day; you have to get in online early in the morning and you can usually snag a second-day time slot. You're fortunate if you're in an area with multiple locations as it increases your available time slots AND the variety of items they have in stock.

by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2020 10:32 PM

R22 Here

I was not given ANY option to schedule a delivery, not this week or next. I was advised to try a different store.

I do not live in an area with multiple stores - I live in the Hudson Valley.

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2020 10:37 PM

Yeah, R22. I just tried it too. No delivery times available.

Now just hears on the news that Instacart deliverers are threatening to go on strike Monday. Another option out the window.

by Anonymousreply 25March 27, 2020 11:03 PM

OH MY GOD YOU JUST KILLED YOUR PARENTS!!! HOW COULD YOU!!!

by Anonymousreply 26March 27, 2020 11:40 PM

Check Instacart around 8 or 9 am for a delivery.

by Anonymousreply 27March 27, 2020 11:44 PM

Did your mother vote for Hilary or Donald?

Did your mother ever think COVID-19 was a democratic hoax?

Was your mother for or against impeachment in 2019?

I need those answers to decide whether or not I have empathy for your mother.

by Anonymousreply 28March 28, 2020 12:48 AM

Sadly, R28 is not joking.

by Anonymousreply 29March 28, 2020 12:55 AM

Do you know how many previous threads there have been on this exact subject OP? Do you? I mean seriously, do you? Have you done any kind of research on it? Did you? Did you do any kind of search first? Did you? What did you do? Tell us OP. Tell us how you searched for prior threads you filthy asshole fucker. Show us what you did . Provide a link or a screenshot butt hole breath. Can you at least do that? Can you? Why would you even think of coming here and posting a thread like this when you know damn good and well there have already been many of the exact same threads that have preceded this same fucking subjecct. Answer me bastard. You owe everyone here the truth as to why you feel you are so much better than every other person here that you can just walk your ass in here without doing a search first. You just eat shit. I hate you OP and I hope you get AIDS.

by Anonymousreply 30March 28, 2020 8:31 PM

Can Covid cause people to become deranged like R30?

by Anonymousreply 31March 28, 2020 8:34 PM

Nope, r31. The deranged troll at r30 spamming every single thread with the same rant predates Covid by at least a year.

by Anonymousreply 32March 28, 2020 8:36 PM

[quote] (I also thought it was a bad idea for them to drive back to NJ, for what it's worth, but it's useless arguing with them.)

The young and the old have too little fear. I am shouting at the moon trying to convince my 80 year old Aunt to stay in her home. Unless we stay on the telephone with her, she will go to the grocery store or pharmacy or out walking. I don't understand it.

by Anonymousreply 33March 28, 2020 8:43 PM

Thanks to everyone who posted ideas for delivery.

Unbelievably, it seems that Instacart doesn't deliver to my parents' address -- I input their zip code into the app, and got the message "We aren't in (XXXXX) yet. Be the first to order! Enter your email to be notified when Instacart is in your area." And this is in the middle of the most densely populated state in the US!

I guess Walmart is the next place I'll have to try for them.

BTW, in answer to r28, my parents are staunch Democrats. My mother of course voted for Hillary, and doesn't understand why other women didn't. (They're not Jewish either, r17, although I guess they'd otherwise fit that demographic.)

by Anonymousreply 34March 28, 2020 8:43 PM

^Same for Shipt, btw.

by Anonymousreply 35March 28, 2020 8:49 PM

OP as other have mentioned all of the deliveries are backed up for weeks. Get them to put their next order in now so they can hopefully get it in a couple of weeks.

Most stores have special hours for seniors and immuno-compromises. Have her call and find out which ones do.

Do they have masks and gloves? They need to wear them if they have to go back. But they really shouldn’t go back. Look into Meals on Wheels if necessary.

We have a small, family-owned chain of markets that will do home delivery for seniors and sick people. See if they have something similar.

My 81 year old parents are also in Florida and were planning to come back to NY at the end of April but thankfully they are in no rush.

by Anonymousreply 36March 28, 2020 9:01 PM

Thanks, r36, but it doesn't seem like it's possible for them to order at all using services like Instacart and Shipt. That's what I can't get my head around. So weird that those services don't work in their zip code.

by Anonymousreply 37March 28, 2020 9:22 PM

Instacart shoppers are threatening to go on strike on Monday. Which is, of course, when my very first order is scheduled.

by Anonymousreply 38March 28, 2020 9:25 PM

Peapod OP, seriously

by Anonymousreply 39March 28, 2020 9:26 PM

Instacart just announced they are hiring 300,000 shoppers. Maybe some will be in your area OP.

by Anonymousreply 40March 28, 2020 9:27 PM

Peapod (part of Stop & Shop) delivers in 08807 but you have to sign up for a time and limited availability on some items

by Anonymousreply 41March 28, 2020 9:31 PM

Where does your mother live in Jersey that instacart doesn't deliver?!

by Anonymousreply 42March 28, 2020 10:22 PM

I feel for you OP. Good luck.

by Anonymousreply 43March 29, 2020 2:36 AM

Near Princeton, r42. That's why I'm shocked that Instacart and Shipt both don't deliver there.

But thanks to the poster who recommended Peapod -- they do seem to deliver to my parents' zip code, although no word on when the next delivery date would be. Also, their nearest Walmart is a supercenter that apparently offers curbside pickup, so that would be a last-ditch option for them too, and my mother found a Shoprite one county over that will deliver to them (in two weeks, but she thinks she's set for that long).

But it's really bizarre where delivery does and doesn't work well -- I mean, this is a generally wealthy area.

by Anonymousreply 44March 29, 2020 9:29 AM

Instacart does deliver, but there are no times because they don’t have enough people working. This is the most densely populated place in the nation. This isn’t bumfuck Florida sweetie.

Are you people fucking retarded?

by Anonymousreply 45March 29, 2020 11:02 AM

Your parents have lived in Jersey a long time - they know what suffering is. This grocery problem is nothing in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 46March 29, 2020 11:38 AM

OP, try local churches. Lots of volunteers in our area have been mobilizing to deliver groceries to elderly and disabled in the community.

Also, have them sign up for Nextdoor. It's a great way for them to stay in touch with their neighbors and get help quickly when they need it. I often see folks offering services to their elderly neighbors....almost daily.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 29, 2020 11:38 AM

[quote]But thanks to the poster who recommended Peapod -- they do seem to deliver to my parents' zip code, although no word on when the next delivery date would be.

I'm the person who recommended Peapod. They add time slots to the end of their list every day or two. I actually lost my time slot that I had scheduled for April 9th because I didn't cash out my cart in time. I went back to the site early this morning and I was able to secure a delivery for April 11th.

The good thing is, you can add and delete from your order up until 4:00 the day before your delivery.

by Anonymousreply 48March 29, 2020 2:10 PM

"OP, try local churches. Lots of volunteers in our area have been mobilizing to deliver groceries to elderly and disabled in the community."

OP's parents own homes in Florida and New Jersey. They have plenty of money to pay someone to shop for them. Save the volunteers for the elderly/disabled surviving on SSI/social security who don't even own one home.

by Anonymousreply 49March 29, 2020 2:22 PM

I am in south central FL. It has been a challenge getting a delivery recently even though Instacart and Walmart do cover my area.

by Anonymousreply 50March 29, 2020 3:12 PM

[quote]OP's parents own homes in Florida and New Jersey. They have plenty of money to pay someone to shop for them. Save the volunteers for the elderly/disabled surviving on SSI/social security who don't even own one home.

I don't think you get it, Mary. Nextdoor and local churches are asking people to help out their immediate neighbors. When you go to the store yourself, pick up some stuff for the shut in next door to you. No one is being under served if OP's mom gets an offer from the nice family across the street to pick up some groceries. 🙄

by Anonymousreply 51March 29, 2020 9:09 PM

Gaming the delivery services is becoming a pastime.

My mother had all six of us on our laptops the other night, starting at 11:50 trying to get on and reserve a slot which she (correctly) claimed opened up at midnight.

Boyfriend somehow managed to get on--I was getting "page not refreshing" and we have a slot like 8 days out, but there's enough food here for 18 days.

My father watched that Michigan hippie doctor video and there are now strict rules in place about bringing food and packages in the house.

by Anonymousreply 52March 29, 2020 9:19 PM

Oh I get it alright, Trumpster at R51.

Rich people with 2 homes should pay for delivery and the money should be used for the huge number of poor elderly who need extra help right now.

Kinda like how the amount you get from the feds depends on your income.

Are you starting to understand now Trumpster ? The rich should pay up so that the poor can survive.

by Anonymousreply 53March 29, 2020 9:21 PM

You are a dimwit, R53. Truly.

by Anonymousreply 54March 29, 2020 9:44 PM

Some of you need to get out more. Case in point, r53. R51 a "Trumpster"? Seriously?

by Anonymousreply 55March 29, 2020 9:47 PM

I was able to order from Instacart today, Delivery at end of week.

by Anonymousreply 56March 31, 2020 1:52 PM

Everyone's home delivery services are FUBAR. I've been fighting with Costco (who processes delivery orders via Instacart) all morning. When I first logged on, it told me I could get my stuff delivered on Sunday. That's fine so I filled my cart. Now when I try to check out, it doesn't give me any delivery options other than today, which is full. No days in the future. WTF? (I'm in western PA.)

The same holds true for Whole Foods/Amazon and the local grocery chain's curbside pickup. We really are getting to the point of breadlines far sooner than expected.

by Anonymousreply 57March 31, 2020 2:02 PM

Another vote for getting the parents on Nextdoor.

I signed on as a helper for anyone in the neighborhood who needed wellness checks or dog walking. Lots of other neighbors volunteered to make grocery and pharmacy runs.

r52, if we watched the same hippie doctor video, most of those suggestions made lots of sense, even if they would've sounded absolutely insane a month ago. I'm glad your dad is all in.

by Anonymousreply 58March 31, 2020 2:14 PM

R57 Sylvia, I waited 3 days for a "delivery window" from Whole Foods. FINALLY, Saturday at 8:30, they had one for me. But so many of my items had been dropped, I had to go looking for substitutes, and by the time I got back to the delivery window page, my delivery window had disappeared. Next stop, Market District. I was able to get toilet paper yesterday at the N. Oakland CVS.

by Anonymousreply 59March 31, 2020 2:23 PM

R59 I finally was able to place my Costco order. Thanks for the tip on the CVS but we're good for toilet paper for probably another month. My partner braved Whole Foods (in mask, gloves, and glasses) first thing this morning and said it wasn't bad..only a few people allowed in at a time and everyone kept apart. No peanut butter to be had, though.

by Anonymousreply 60March 31, 2020 3:00 PM

Reading this, I was overcome with the manner in which our lives have changed. That emotion comes and goes. It’s surreal.

by Anonymousreply 61March 31, 2020 3:40 PM

OP, my parents were in a similar boat and we told them to stay in Florida. I am terrified of what we're going to do when it gets bad in Florida with all of those moronic Republicans and all of those old people.

by Anonymousreply 62March 31, 2020 3:52 PM

OP Google Shoprite at home and pick her local store, you can set up delivery (could be 7-10 days out) otherwise curbside pick up can be arranged in my area within 3-4 days. Pick the timeslot, she just needs to roll up. It’ll be bagged up and ready to go right in her trunk. You pay ahead.

by Anonymousreply 63March 31, 2020 4:03 PM

OP here. FWIW, my parents are not by any means rich. They have a small apartment in FL because my father's arthritis is better when he's in a warm place and can swim. Their house in NJ is big because they've had it since they had three kids, but they bought it long before the McMansions drove up prices in the neighborhood. They drive to and from Florida in their aging sedan, even though at their ages it would probably be safer for them to fly than drive all that distance.

That said, they'd be perfectly willing to pay for grocery delivery IF THEY COULD GET IT. Got it, r49/r53? The problem is that we haven't been able to find a service willing to deliver to them (no word from my mom yet if she tried Peapod and was able to get a delivery date, but nobody else serves their area).

by Anonymousreply 64March 31, 2020 5:09 PM

Shoprite already told my mother they won't deliver to her area, period, r63 (I still can't figure out why). She tried two different ones. One told her they'd deliver if she signed up for a slot, so she got up at midnight to get one, and then she got a message saying they didn't deliver to her zip code.

by Anonymousreply 65March 31, 2020 5:14 PM

Just recently announced:

NJ now has 18,696 cases

by Anonymousreply 66March 31, 2020 5:16 PM

I wasn’t the one to make the suggestion OP but here’s where NextDoor could be helpful. Both of you should sign up, ask neighbors where they are getting food delivery. Call the town office for seniors and ask if they have any info.

by Anonymousreply 67March 31, 2020 5:20 PM

you need to deliver their groceries yourself

by Anonymousreply 68March 31, 2020 5:24 PM

I'd have to get on a plane to do that, r68, and good luck finding a commercial flight these days.

(And my Cessna is in the shop, and the mechanic is out with COVID -- I hate that!)

by Anonymousreply 69March 31, 2020 6:15 PM

You are getting multiple recommendations for trying Nextdoor. They have a system with maps for people requesting and offering assistance.

Have you suggested it to your parents?

Otherwise, what about local churches and synagogues? Places aren't holding services except online, but there are still active groups coordinating help for seniors.

by Anonymousreply 70March 31, 2020 8:39 PM

OP, try one of those "task" sites (like taskrabbit or takl). They have people that will shop and deliver.

by Anonymousreply 71March 31, 2020 8:41 PM

OP, What town in New Jersey do they live in?

by Anonymousreply 72March 31, 2020 8:50 PM

OP, What town in New Jersey do they live in?

by Anonymousreply 73March 31, 2020 8:50 PM

What’s the damn zip code?

by Anonymousreply 74March 31, 2020 8:51 PM

He won't say, other than "near Princeton." I guess he's afraid we'll go to her house and steal her toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 75March 31, 2020 8:56 PM

Can OP get on Nextdoor for his parents? Does the account have to be verified somehow? You can run the Nextdoor account, OP, and ask for help on behalf of your parents.

Good luck and let us know how they fare.

by Anonymousreply 76April 1, 2020 1:25 PM

OP, just look around for the nearest Shoprite that does curbside pickup...it could be a half hour away but they were able to drive all the way from Florida. I don't think it's risky as long as they have enough gas and don't stop anywhere else.

by Anonymousreply 77April 1, 2020 4:46 PM

You (not her) should be able to download Shipt app and order for her through Target. I do this for my mom in Boston and life in Tampa. Get a list from her first.

by Anonymousreply 78April 1, 2020 5:01 PM

Target sucks. Nearly everything I looked for was "not available for delivery or pickup." Yet they have it in stock in the store. Sorry--not going into ANY stores as long as people keep acting like assholes.

by Anonymousreply 79April 1, 2020 5:05 PM

So OP, how are your parents doing?

by Anonymousreply 80April 5, 2020 3:31 PM

S0 R79 You want the store clerks to risk their lives for your entitled ass, you're a cunt.

by Anonymousreply 81April 5, 2020 4:30 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!