Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Richard Crenna.

Anyone? Anyone?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 27, 2020 7:52 PM

I posted this before I could add: I just saw The Sand Pebbles on TCM and it reminded me what a great character actor this guy was. From his geeky teenage student in Our Miss Brooks to the Rambo Franchise. He was all over TV and movies in the 50s to 70s. Anyone else a fan?

by Anonymousreply 1March 27, 2020 5:41 PM

He starred in The Rape of Richard Beck. The pivotal scene at 40:00 was surely written by a DLer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 27, 2020 5:46 PM

Always liked him. Amiable masculine presence.

Spoke with him once when I was answering phones in Room Service at the Plaza. He had just returned from a fishing trip to Alaska, and someone had stolen the salmon he had caught, and had stored in refrigerator lockers in the kitchen.

He was understandably peeved. Can’t say I blamed him. At least he wasn’t unkind to me.

He was nominated for Best Supporting in “Sand Pebbles,” in which he was very good, but didn’t win.

And BTW, they found his fish.

by Anonymousreply 3March 27, 2020 5:55 PM

I have a vague recollection that he was rumored to have a large penis.

And not like the kind Tom Cruise has which is in his bedside drawer.

Crenna's penis was his own flesh and blood.

Like a cousin or possibly maiden aunt.

by Anonymousreply 4March 27, 2020 6:02 PM

in the late 80's I dated a guy that looked like Crenna and i told the guy so. He was pretty hot in bed but still semi- closeted with kids, Pass!

by Anonymousreply 5March 27, 2020 6:02 PM

Dreamy! 😍

by Anonymousreply 6March 27, 2020 6:04 PM

Looong career. The guy must have been worth a fortune.

by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2020 6:07 PM

Grew up watching him on "The Real McCoys". He was one handsome devil back then.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2020 6:08 PM

Hubba hubba!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 27, 2020 6:08 PM

alwys thought he would be a good kisser and finger my hole so well....

by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2020 6:09 PM

Nice hairy chest.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2020 6:11 PM

Richard Crenna & Doug McClure were two men who really set my young loins aflame back in the 50s/60s. Those were real men.

by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2020 6:14 PM

and troy Donahue in a summer place....humping Sandra dee

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2020 6:20 PM

And Robert conrad riding his horses with such passion....

by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2020 6:21 PM

Fabulous actor.

I am old enough to remember him as Walter on Our Miss Brooks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2020 6:25 PM

[quote] The guy must have been worth a fortune.

The thing about performers of his era is that most of them were/are not worth as much as you'd think. The salaries for even most big stars in those days were not anywhere near the magnanimous payouts these much less talented mooks of today are get. Most actors from his era who ended up with untold wealth got it from savvy investments, not directly from their acting work. Some of the richest old stars got their wealth from buying property around L.A. in the 40s through the 60s when the prices were very low. Not that it's proof, but the net worth sites all say Crenna was worth only $10 million which adjusted for inflation would be slightly over $14 million today. A princely sum, but nothing like the staggering wealth we read about many of today's much younger stars.

by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2020 6:38 PM

Always loved his presence on the big and little screen. He really did have a long, consistent career.

by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2020 6:39 PM

Republican

by Anonymousreply 18March 27, 2020 6:40 PM

r15 That picture is when he played ARTHUR on "I Love Lucy."

by Anonymousreply 19March 27, 2020 6:41 PM

He had a sitcom with Bernadette Peters...a Norman Lear show that wasn't bad, but didn't last very long.

by Anonymousreply 20March 27, 2020 6:44 PM

No, he wasn't a republican, he was on Carson ( am old) with a story that put him in the sane and not right-wing camp. Something about a state trooper.

by Anonymousreply 21March 27, 2020 6:45 PM

He had the perfect blend of masculinity and tenderness in his face as a young man. He looked like he'd treat you right, under the duvet. LOL

by Anonymousreply 22March 27, 2020 6:54 PM

[quote]Crenna was worth only $10 million which adjusted for inflation would be slightly over $14 million today.

Not much considering he had decades of high profile TV work. Besides lower salaries I imagine they did not get residuals either.

by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2020 6:55 PM

He fought in the Battle Of The Bulge during WWII.

by Anonymousreply 24March 27, 2020 6:57 PM

Excellent as Kathleen Turner's creepy husband in Body Heat.

by Anonymousreply 25March 27, 2020 6:59 PM

At the time he died, he was doing a real nice turn as the love interest for Tyne Daly, on 'Judging Amy". ( A very underrated television show, in my opinion.)

It wasn't a showy part, but he was quiet and steady and very good.

by Anonymousreply 26March 27, 2020 7:04 PM

I loved him The Sand Pebbles. What a cast - Steve McQueen, Richard Attenborough. Awful Candace Bergen, she brought the film down a notch. Now I have to find out who won the Oscar for Best Supporting Actor that year. He was nominated...

by Anonymousreply 27March 27, 2020 7:31 PM

^^^According to Wikipedia, he was never nominated for an Oscar. Throughout his career he was nominated for other awards but never won until a Prime Time Emmy for The Rape of Richard Beck.

by Anonymousreply 28March 27, 2020 7:35 PM

R3, I didn't know a fish could wander.

by Anonymousreply 29March 27, 2020 7:52 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!