Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Paula Abdul's Vibeology

Considered the start of the end of her music career, I actually think that this single of hers is one of her best.

What do you think?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 29, 2020 2:56 PM

It should've been the lead single (of the 5 singles that she released here in the US).

It would've received more respect & airplay.

1 = Vibeology = I think since it didn't sound like anything that she had released before. It would've made the best choice to go first (of the 5 singles). The first 10 seconds screams "I'm back bitches & loving it. Let's party! " (not a good sound to make for your #4 single in my opinion). I also think she should've called the album "Vibeology" instead of "Spellbound" which wasn't a single (it also sounded like it was a cover song from yesteryear).

2 = Will You Marry Me? = It should've been bumped to the second single. Both this one & "Vibe" suffered from being weaker & later singles (other cuts were better instead of WYMM?).

3 = Blowing Kisses In The Wind (releasing this one after WYMM? would've helped stress Paula going in a more ballady direction instead of just dance tunes.)

4 = Promise Of A New Day ( I've never liked this song of hers. It was clunky & the video looked awful. I can't believe it went to #1 here in the US).

5 = Rush Rush ( Keanu would've helped make this a hot single no matter when it was released). Rush L. also played/talked it up at the time.

by Anonymousreply 1March 26, 2020 11:16 PM

It was this shitshow...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 26, 2020 11:19 PM

Horny horns!!

by Anonymousreply 3March 26, 2020 11:22 PM

Is that the MTV performance?

by Anonymousreply 4March 26, 2020 11:24 PM

It’s a great song but I agree the rollout and styling of the era was messy.

I was probably like 9 at the time and big fan. I remember thinking, “ummm...”

Made for a great lip sync for your life:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 26, 2020 11:32 PM

Vibeology seemed like one big commercial for her (her first & last names in shown in big lights)

& having the album named after it fits (in my mind at least).

by Anonymousreply 6March 26, 2020 11:40 PM

R1 wouldn't last a week as music executive. If he had his way, Virgin Records would've stopped promoting the album after single #2.

by Anonymousreply 7March 27, 2020 1:07 AM

Wrong R7. I just would've picked different songs than Will You Marry Me? & Promise Of A New Day.

by Anonymousreply 8March 27, 2020 2:31 AM

Promise of a New Day is awesome. Of course those without taste may not like it.

by Anonymousreply 9March 27, 2020 2:50 AM

I love this song and the album “Spellbound”. It was that VMA performance that killed this song (and her successful run) to a screeching halt. I just rewatched that performance. Lord knows there have been a lot worse performances since then... but at the time it was a really big career tumble. She wasn’t the best singer, but the production was good and she’s a great dancer, choreographer and overall performer.

by Anonymousreply 10March 27, 2020 3:02 AM

I think this song would've hit much higher than WYMM?'s #19 peak performance.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 27, 2020 3:07 AM

"To You" seemed more radio friendly than POAND.

This song is the one track on "Spellbound" that reminds me of a "Forever Your Girl" album cut =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 27, 2020 3:12 AM

Spellbound was a much weaker album than Forever Your Girl, which had no filler. The right Spellbound singles were chosen as well as the order of the singles.

by Anonymousreply 13March 27, 2020 3:24 AM

I see Rush Rush was released on May 2 1991.

If Paula really wanted WYMM? to be a big hit then she should've released it as the first single (as the summer months are the most popular for weddings here in the US).

Abdul co wrote POAND, WYMM?, Rock House & Spellbound so I guess she wanted 2 of her 5 hits to be songs that she had a hand in creating.

I think the above 2 songs would've been her next top 10 smashes if she had chosen those tracks instead.

R13 No filler? Have you heard State Of Attraction & Knocked Out?

by Anonymousreply 14March 27, 2020 3:27 AM

The Family Stand, who produced Spellbound, had a great song called Ghetto Heaven. It didn't make much noise here in the states, but fared better in the UK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 27, 2020 3:47 AM

This song should have been the first single to build on the spunky dance floor momentum of Forever Your Girl. Instead it was the fourth single by which point the world was bored by her.

It’s a fun song but it’s crap. Straight Up and Cold Hearted Snake are her best songs.

by Anonymousreply 16March 27, 2020 3:51 AM

Watching Paula and Janet in 1989 to 1991 with their horrible thin voices and average dancing, makes todays crap music look not so bad. Paula and Janet were crap on a cracker.

by Anonymousreply 17March 27, 2020 3:54 AM

R14, Knocked Out's a great song. Next To You should've been a single. One of The Other, I Need You and State of Attraction are decent songs that don't deserved to be skipped.

by Anonymousreply 18March 27, 2020 3:59 AM

How do I sing on key? Others do it with me. This never stops being funny.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 27, 2020 4:00 AM

I remember that AMA performance . You could literally hear the album go *thud* at the end of it.

by Anonymousreply 20March 27, 2020 7:35 PM

God, that 1991 MTV performance is cringe-inducing, almost painful. Paula judging contestants on American Idol was almost tongue-in-cheek. I liked her though, she seemed nice and humble, Ms. Jackson never did.

by Anonymousreply 21March 27, 2020 8:05 PM

God, that 1991 MTV performance is cringe-inducing, almost painful. Paula judging contestants on American Idol was almost tongue-in-cheek. I liked her though, she seemed nice and humble, Ms. Jackson never did.

by Anonymousreply 22March 27, 2020 8:05 PM

I don't even know why she performed Vibeology at the VMAs. The Promise of A New Day was just about hit #1.

by Anonymousreply 23March 27, 2020 9:32 PM

I don't know why she didn't lip sync.

by Anonymousreply 24March 28, 2020 12:16 AM

Rush, Rush was a great first single. In fact it is my favorite song of hers, and one of my favorites from the 90s. It was a change of pace for her. That being said, the album started to go downhill by choosing Promise of a New Day as the second single. The song is solid, but it should have been the third single. Vibeology should have been the 2nd single.

by Anonymousreply 25March 28, 2020 7:13 AM

Rush Rush showed off her 40 billion octave range. She is a wizard at the singing.

by Anonymousreply 26March 28, 2020 7:15 AM

Love Promise of a New Day!

I actually loved Spellbound more than Forever Your Girl.

by Anonymousreply 27March 28, 2020 7:24 AM

Too much baby talk like "horny horn" or "I'm in a funky way".

by Anonymousreply 28March 28, 2020 8:09 AM

[quote]The Family Stand, who produced Spellbound, had a great song called Ghetto Heaven. It didn't make much noise here in the states, but fared better in the UK.

When I was at school we used to make up our own lyrics to this

Nanna loves BRANDY (Nanna loves BRANDY)

Especially PEACH (especially PEACH)

She smells of talcum powder

and goes topless at the beach

by Anonymousreply 29March 28, 2020 9:28 AM

vibeology was one of her better songs.

by Anonymousreply 30March 28, 2020 9:33 AM

R30 = Marlee Matlin

by Anonymousreply 31March 28, 2020 9:35 AM

No way was Vibeology a better song than Promise Of A New Day. It wasn't even single worthy. It was a step above filler.

by Anonymousreply 32March 28, 2020 2:03 PM

Did anyone else glance at the title of this thread and thought it said something about "Abe Vigoda"?

by Anonymousreply 33March 28, 2020 2:15 PM

Paula sucks. I don’t know who is the worst singer. Paula or J-Ho?

by Anonymousreply 34March 28, 2020 2:54 PM

Vibeology was too shrill of a song for some people. Her live performance of it on the VMA's was bad, but she probably wanted to prove she wasn't a Milli Vanilli (or a Black Box or C&C Music Factory) since the allegations that she didn't sing on some of the songs on Forever Your Girl. I think that hurt her career too, even though the court ruled in her favor.

She really killed it on 1989 VMA's, though. Just goes to show how little it can take for a music career to tank.

by Anonymousreply 35March 28, 2020 3:01 PM

Rush Rush is a terrible song and she sounds terrible trying to sing it. Imagine Justin Beiber singing opera—same result.

by Anonymousreply 36March 28, 2020 3:02 PM

This album had too many slower songs released as singles for someone known for dancing. Rush Rush was good, but Will You Marry Me was just OK and Blowing Kisses In the Wind was just awful and certainly didn’t need to be a single. Rock House would have been a better choice.

I always thought the Spellbound album was a letdown.

by Anonymousreply 37March 28, 2020 3:07 PM

Head Over Heals makes Spellbound look like Forever Your Girl

by Anonymousreply 38March 28, 2020 4:20 PM

this album is the only PA album I ever liked.

by Anonymousreply 39March 28, 2020 4:22 PM

R38 I actually thought Head Over Heels was a great album and did not understand why it didn’t sell better.

by Anonymousreply 40March 28, 2020 4:23 PM

R40, I think part of it was she was out of the limelight for a long time. Also bad single choices. Instead of Crazy Cool and Ain't Never Gonna Give You Up, The Choice Is Yours and Under The Influence should've been released.

by Anonymousreply 41March 28, 2020 4:35 PM

[quote] Straight Up and Cold Hearted Snake are her best songs.

you shut your dirty whore mouth!

by Anonymousreply 42March 28, 2020 7:54 PM

Did Prince ghost write Vibeology? It’s clearly influenced by his style but supposedly they dated and I wondered if maybe he had written it for her.

by Anonymousreply 43March 28, 2020 9:37 PM

“Paula Abdul ain’t shit. Girl is singing off-key ON THE RECORD!

- Whitney Houston

by Anonymousreply 44March 28, 2020 9:41 PM

Her problem was she waited OVER four years to release her next album and by then the music scene had changed considerably eventhough her next single was not bad ,four years is just too long for an “artist” like her.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45March 28, 2020 9:43 PM

R43, he wrote the song "U" which is on the album.

by Anonymousreply 46March 28, 2020 9:53 PM

R45 speaks the truth. There are only a handful of artists that can go 4 years in between releasing albums and not have it affect their sales and status

by Anonymousreply 47March 28, 2020 9:54 PM

It's insane to me how Paula Abdul--not Madonna, Mariah, Celine or even Janet--who came close to tying Whitney's record of 7 number one hits. And after like 3 or 4 years, the hits just stopped. Katy Perry is the closest modern day example to that (but Katy's fall is actually bigger now that I think about it).

by Anonymousreply 48March 28, 2020 9:59 PM

*7 consecutive number one hits

by Anonymousreply 49March 28, 2020 9:59 PM

If It's Just The Way That You Love Me hit #1, she would've had the 7 but it peaked at #3. It is mindboggling.

by Anonymousreply 50March 29, 2020 12:38 AM

[quote]It's insane to me how Paula Abdul--not Madonna, Mariah, Celine or even Janet--who came close to tying Whitney's record of 7 number one hits.

Even more bizarre is how her career disappeared as fast as it came after accomplishing so much in so little time.

by Anonymousreply 51March 29, 2020 12:41 AM

And yes I know she took a 4 year break, but nevertheless her third album was really good.

by Anonymousreply 52March 29, 2020 12:43 AM

Prince wrote the song “U” for Paula

by Anonymousreply 53March 29, 2020 12:50 AM

I got fucking Paula Abdul songs stuck in my head, now. Thanks a lot you fat bastards!

by Anonymousreply 54March 29, 2020 12:55 AM

“Crazy cool” and “my love is for real” would have been top 10 hits in 1991. Those songs sounded dated by summer of 1995.

by Anonymousreply 55March 29, 2020 12:58 AM

R53 see R46.

by Anonymousreply 56March 29, 2020 12:58 AM

[quote]“Crazy cool” and “my love is for real” would have been top 10 hits in 1991. Those songs sounded dated by summer of 1995.

Horseshit. MLIFR was one of the first mainstream songs in America to use Middle Eastern sounds. Tell me what song in 1991 sounded like that?🙄

Also, The Choice Is Yours was produced by Dallas Austin - the same guy that produced for TLC who had huge success during that time. That song sounded very current and would have been a great single.

The only mistake with the album was her doing a song with Color Me Bad and releasing that song as a single. Now THAT was something from 1991.

by Anonymousreply 57March 29, 2020 3:15 AM

R54 = Tony Moss.

by Anonymousreply 58March 29, 2020 2:56 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!