Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Career of Eve Arden

She was one of those actresses who was always great playing a no nonsense broad.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 25, 2020 8:03 PM

Lesbyterian, I believe.

by Anonymousreply 1March 25, 2020 2:11 PM

Always loved her. So sharp, tart, and quick.

by Anonymousreply 2March 25, 2020 2:28 PM

r2 Indeed. She was the "Hildy Johnson"( Miss Russell's version) of actresses. She softened up a bit to do "Our Miss Brooks," but she could always be arch, in a funny and commanding way.

"I've always admired alligators, they eat their young." [apologies for paraphrasing]

by Anonymousreply 3March 25, 2020 2:46 PM

Huge cock

by Anonymousreply 4March 25, 2020 2:48 PM

Almost always played a supporting character/second banana and made a good career out of it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 25, 2020 2:51 PM

She was married twice and had 4 children, some of them adopted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 25, 2020 2:55 PM

Loved her! Tony Curtis said he based his performance in Some Like It Hot on Eve Arden. I thought that he had well before I heard him say it. He has her mannerisms and purse-y lips down cold. Also, her performance in Anatomy of a Murder was great. Loved her banter with James Stewart and the way his character deferred to her. She was a ballbuster for sure.

by Anonymousreply 7March 25, 2020 2:58 PM

I was just thinking of her. She showed up in a random TCM movie from the 40s. Seemed like she played the same role over and over. But she had a steady career. She also seemed to have a decently happy personal life - unlike most. In an interview she acknowledged that while she may be stuck as a one note actress, that she was happier than most and had a pretty contented life. The anti-Joan.

by Anonymousreply 8March 25, 2020 3:02 PM

[quote]Lesbyterian, I believe.

Well, darling. She never sucked my cock.

by Anonymousreply 9March 25, 2020 3:04 PM

Liked her films, but MOTHERS IN LAW had to be one of the unfunniest sitcoms ever. Kaye Ballard constant mugging and playing to the cheap seats didn’t help.

by Anonymousreply 10March 25, 2020 6:43 PM

I met her once at sea. Jealous?

by Anonymousreply 11March 25, 2020 6:46 PM

There was a hilarious raunchy piece once on the former website "Jump the Shark" where someone told an anecdote about sitting next to her in a movie theater in the early 80s when she was in her seventies and he was a young man. The poster said she seemed attracted to him before the film started, and he didn't know what to do. Halfway through the film, she let loose with what he called "a juicy, silent old-lady fart," and when he looked at her in horror, she gave him a lewd wink.

For some reason that story just killed me!

by Anonymousreply 12March 25, 2020 6:53 PM

One of the mesothelioma channels had an "Our Miss Brooks" binge a while back and I recorded all of them. They don't really hold up very well, and although Eve is great, it's hard to take her as a man-hungry spinster who's still thinking of having a family when she was pushing 50 at the time.

by Anonymousreply 13March 25, 2020 7:02 PM

She was perfect in “Mildred Pierce”. She was a master of sardonic wit. She was a perfect as Ida Corwin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 25, 2020 8:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!