Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Betty Crocker Cookbook

If I had to choose one book that made a profound impact on my life, it would be the Betty Crocker Cookbook.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47October 2, 2021 4:22 AM

She had a MILF stage in the 80s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 23, 2020 10:03 PM

Was it the pink cake, OP?

by Anonymousreply 2March 23, 2020 10:05 PM

I remember that the calorie counter in the back of my grandmother's copy had, for the entry on Whipped Cream, the measurement, "One stingy teaspoon." At the time, I was confused; I didn't know if "stingy" meant a certain type of teaspoon I hadn't come across before. Now I appreciate the sly humor of those wonderful women.

by Anonymousreply 3March 23, 2020 10:10 PM

I loved my grandmother’s Betty Crocker cookbook. The baked goods all call for shortening. lol

by Anonymousreply 4March 23, 2020 10:20 PM

Ha! My mom and grandma had copies of this. It was fun reading.

by Anonymousreply 5March 23, 2020 10:24 PM

I knew it was going to be this cookbook before clicking the link! My mom had it in a 3 ring binder format, I have this same perfect bound version.

Every aspect of it is a delight, the line drawings of husbands following the scent of something in the oven, photos that are luridly color-saturated. The strawberry shortcake looks like a murder scene! It tells the new young housewife or kitchen know-nothing everything you can possibly need to know. The photos of BC test kitchens and hearty feasts and lovely brunches with hostess gear like coffee urns and warming trays are amazing. You will say Viva! and Bravo! to the "international" recipes and then ooh and aaah over recipes that were contributed by Gracious Hostesses, complete with little explanations about when and to whom they serve their delicacies!

As a kid I used to go over all the cookie photos and examine all the decorated cakes. The one on the cover looks like Angel Food with Pink Mountain Frosting. I made a lemon Kitchenette Cake yesterday from this cookbook.

by Anonymousreply 6March 23, 2020 10:27 PM

I still make the frankfurter and jello salad I learned in 5th grade!

by Anonymousreply 7March 23, 2020 10:29 PM

It's a great book. My mom received it as one of her wedding presents, in the 3-ring so it would lie open easily if you were trying to cook from it.

Some of the recipes are stomach churning, but everything is in there. It all gets covered, including how to stretch the food, shop so your ingredient list is shorter, and more.

I prefer this one to the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook, which is the other one everyone has. And the Julia Child cookbooks are great for special occasions but for everyday cooking, not so much--the food is too heavy and takes too long.

by Anonymousreply 8March 23, 2020 10:30 PM

This one?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 23, 2020 10:32 PM

That’s disgusting!

by Anonymousreply 10March 23, 2020 10:33 PM

[quote] . I made a lemon Kitchenette Cake yesterday from this cookbook.

Did you use shortening?

by Anonymousreply 11March 23, 2020 10:34 PM

The three-ring binder sounds like a good idea but it's too easy to tear the holes of the pages, so they end up being loose . My mom's is pretty exploded looking.

by Anonymousreply 12March 23, 2020 10:35 PM

This is a fat person's book.

by Anonymousreply 13March 23, 2020 10:36 PM

R11--I used buttah.

by Anonymousreply 14March 23, 2020 10:37 PM

The post at R6 is so gay I didn't want it to end.

by Anonymousreply 15March 23, 2020 10:42 PM

Too many bland red velvet cakes out there and not enough good quality strawberry cakes.

by Anonymousreply 16March 24, 2020 6:48 PM

What’s a good cookbook updated to include the New American Cuisine?

by Anonymousreply 17March 24, 2020 7:24 PM

My mom had that cookbook, in the 3-ring binder. I mainly saw her using it for baked goods, not savory stuff. It wasn't her "Bible" for cooking, in other words. She had a couple other cookbooks. But I think most of her recipes came from her mom, my grandmother.

by Anonymousreply 18March 24, 2020 8:10 PM

I have my mom's 3-ring binder edition and yes, some of the pages are torn from the rings, most of the tabs are torn, AND some of the pages are stained on the more popular recipes. The handwritten side notes are wonderful memories of my mom. Love this thread.

by Anonymousreply 19March 24, 2020 8:17 PM

I loved it so much. I got the the seventies boys and girl edition, but pined for the fifties one. I got on at a yard sale and I spent many happy hours attempting fife and drum cake, raggedy ann salad and surprise breakfast for my unhappy parents. None of my creations looked anything like in the illustrations, but I got inspiration that persists to this day to live in a colorful world of canned goods and bisquick. I owe my turquoise fifties kitchen with the sunny yellow trim to Betty.

by Anonymousreply 20March 24, 2020 8:21 PM

I have the three-ring binder version, gotten when I was just a gayling. I'll never get rid of it for one reason alone: page 127, which tells you how to prepare your own freezer dinners, molding aluminum foil into cheery little compartments for your leftovers, and includes important information on keeping your meat moist. Oh! Had I only listened to Betty, I could now be happily surviving on my own homemade TV dinners during quarantine time, instead of groveling for grubs and moss.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 24, 2020 8:25 PM

BC took a turn for the ethnically vague in the 1990s.

by Anonymousreply 22March 24, 2020 8:41 PM

Check it out - my grandmother gave this copy to my mother when she turned 25, in 1959. I have it. Some pages are missing and it isn't in great shape, but it's cool to see my mom's notes from when she was a young homemaker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 24, 2020 9:01 PM

What do you all remember your mothers making from it?

by Anonymousreply 24March 24, 2020 9:10 PM

Yes! I love that cookbook, and this one as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 24, 2020 9:16 PM

[quote]What’s a good cookbook updated to include the New American Cuisine?

You might like the "new" Joy of Cooking that was released in 1997. I didn't use it very much. My Joy of Cooking was the 1975 trade paperback, and so many recipes I considered essential were dropped from this new Joy, I thought of it as an also-ran. It does have a killer recipe for German Chocolate Cake, however.

If you lived near me and we weren't practicing social distancing, I'd give you my copy.

by Anonymousreply 26March 24, 2020 9:19 PM

I'm suddenly in the mood for chicken a la king!

by Anonymousreply 27March 24, 2020 9:39 PM

R25 My Mom had that cookbook and made these every Christmas

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 24, 2020 10:00 PM

I love Betty Cockrocker!

by Anonymousreply 29March 24, 2020 10:36 PM

I have this one in binder form and also received one of the newer versions in binder form for Christmas a year or two after I moved to the city after hs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 25, 2020 2:14 AM

I just used this to make Scalloped Corn for dinner tomorrow. It's a family favorite that features a can of creamed corn AND crushed Ritz crackers!

by Anonymousreply 31December 25, 2020 2:19 AM

[quote] My mom had that cookbook, in the 3-ring binder. I mainly saw her using it for baked goods, not savory stuff.

Same here. My mom had the 3-ring binder. I do remember her flipping through it. I really don't think she used it for savory foods. I don't even think she used it for baked goods, but maybe components of baked goods, like pie crust.

by Anonymousreply 32December 25, 2020 2:23 AM

I hated Betty Crocker recipes.

I always thought Fannie Farmer was better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33December 25, 2020 2:38 AM

I have a Better Homes & Gardens cookbook repro 1953 edition.

Beautifully reproduced with ring binder...and "authentic' yellowing pages.

I'm not American and therefore have no idea of its status with the American gay of 2020.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34December 25, 2020 3:51 AM

The cover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35December 25, 2020 3:52 AM

Frau cunt thread full of frau cunt posts.

by Anonymousreply 36December 25, 2020 4:01 AM

Still time for a last-minute Betty Crocker Easter Bunny Cake!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37April 4, 2021 12:03 AM

It's all in the booklet dears.

by Anonymousreply 38April 4, 2021 12:08 AM

It's definitely a favorite here, along with Joy of Cooking.

by Anonymousreply 39April 4, 2021 12:23 AM

R37 I remember my mom making that cake on the right once. I hated coconut as a kid, and I remember feeling like the world had come to end when she told me she was making a special Easter cake and then put that coconut abomination on the table.

by Anonymousreply 40April 4, 2021 12:39 AM

R40 I usually hate cocoanut too. I cooked a cake in my crockpot once, then iced it; it was very well received by my future husband and his then boyfriend....

by Anonymousreply 41April 4, 2021 12:42 AM

Coconut cake-hating aliens post on DL!

by Anonymousreply 42April 4, 2021 3:32 AM

The absolute classic first edition, 1950. I have my mother's - in understandably worn out shape from constant use for our large family. I've seen it online for a lot cheaper than this one...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43April 4, 2021 5:35 AM

The book in OP's pic, is pretty sought after (or used to be when I sold stuff on eBaby a few years ago). Found one at a thrift store first print, and pristine condition for about five dollars, and had it sold for around a hundred dollars in less than twenty-four hours. They aren't easy to find, but they are pretty desirable.

by Anonymousreply 44April 4, 2021 8:56 PM

I'm R44. Most cookbooks, even vintage or fun are not worth reselling online. This is just a one off that happens to, or did.

by Anonymousreply 45April 4, 2021 9:15 PM

Do pink cakes ever taste as good as they look?

by Anonymousreply 46August 5, 2021 3:17 AM

DataLounge Cookbook

by Anonymousreply 47October 2, 2021 4:22 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!