Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The tourism industry is going to be pretty much fucked for a long time, right?

I mean, in spite of what the media and SM like to portray, what really drives the tourism industry is the low/middle class. There aren't enough rich people in the World to sustain the whole industry.

The luxury industry is fucked short term too.

by Anonymousreply 80April 25, 2020 9:17 PM

Everything except medicine, groceries, health care and delivery services are fucked.

by Anonymousreply 1March 23, 2020 1:29 AM

At least a couple years, yes.

by Anonymousreply 2March 23, 2020 1:30 AM

And imo Chinese restaurants will collapse in the West

by Anonymousreply 3March 23, 2020 1:38 AM

and the end of buffet restaurants (regardless of the cuisine)

by Anonymousreply 4March 23, 2020 1:39 AM

Everything is fucked. I’ve lost hundreds of thousands in the stock market this week.

by Anonymousreply 5March 23, 2020 1:41 AM

the big winner is our Planet rn

by Anonymousreply 6March 23, 2020 1:44 AM

[quote]And imo Chinese restaurants will collapse in the West

Why? Chinese restaurants are actually thriving right now with take-out and deliveries. They can’t keep up. Thai restaurants too. The only ones suffering are Japanese restaurants since people don’t trust delivered sushi 🍣

by Anonymousreply 7March 23, 2020 1:51 AM

R7 well then why do I keep seeing stories in the news about the various Chinatowns across the country not getting any business then?

I've seen where at least ABC and CBS has done Chinatown peices about them not being able to get any type of business at the moment. And their scared they may have to shutdown for lack of business.

by Anonymousreply 8March 23, 2020 1:56 AM

R7 You are living in a parallel world!

by Anonymousreply 9March 23, 2020 2:01 AM

Yes it will:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 23, 2020 2:07 AM

[quote][R7] well then why do I keep seeing stories in the news about the various Chinatowns across the country not getting any business then?

Do you think Chinese restaurants are only in Chinatown?

by Anonymousreply 11March 23, 2020 2:12 AM

Not in NYC. The 1/2 wit, fly-over-state Christian tourists will be back by this time next year. To go to Olive Garden and Chili's and Dylan's Candy Store.

by Anonymousreply 12March 23, 2020 2:14 AM

We are all fucked. Let's see how this will play out. Tomorrow the stock market will crash more. The Democrats will be in a panic by closing. The republic party will wait. The Democrats just can't win the long game, they do not know how. By Tuesday morning all the bailouts will be approved. Tuesday's close will be a record high.

The corporations having what they want start downsizing and buying back stock at a furious pace. Millions are laid off. Billions still get paid to corporations. Everyone is out of work, the majority of people not laid off, are part-time from home as the virus abates a bit. Home prices across the nation crash.

Fall comes and the virus roars back to life, this time millions have lost homes, apartments, jobs and healthcare. Election postponed because of virus. Trump stays in office. the country limps along through the winter of 2021, and we become a third world nation. Meanwhile China takes the lead in the world.

So yeah, tourism is fucked, unless you count the Chinese visiting LA and throwing pennies in your hat as tourism.

by Anonymousreply 13March 23, 2020 2:14 AM

Taking a cue from Disney, I'd say yes - they are already trying to raise money. Homelessness in Orlando is going to skyrocket.

by Anonymousreply 14March 23, 2020 2:17 AM

actually, completely ignore what I wrote. r13 hits the nail squarely on the head.

by Anonymousreply 15March 23, 2020 2:21 AM

I live above Chinatown in SF and I’d go get food in a heartbeat but it’s much too crowded down there to just stand around waiting for food.

by Anonymousreply 16March 23, 2020 2:21 AM

I was just in Chinatown to deliver food for Doordash and it was very busy. They can’t keep up with demand.

by Anonymousreply 17March 23, 2020 2:26 AM

someone is trolling way too much here, Chinese restaurants are already collapsing!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 23, 2020 2:34 AM

My condolences, r5. Hopefully you didn’t sell?

R13 I think any ascendancy by the Chinese will be temporary. Call it a hunch. The timeline for the US doesn’t feel as dark as you say, although that may be foolish optimism.

by Anonymousreply 19March 23, 2020 2:37 AM

R19, This is our demise as a world power. This is the end. By 2021 China will be humming along, we will be wreckage.

by Anonymousreply 20March 23, 2020 2:39 AM

R18, that article is a month and a half old and it’s about Chinatowns. Yes, people are afraid to go to Chinatown but the Chinese restaurants outside of Chinatown and in the suburbs are doing good business.

by Anonymousreply 21March 23, 2020 2:42 AM

China is going down. The whole world hates it for unleashing this catastrophe and the Chinese are FAR from having the pandemic under control.

It's the end of the everything "Made in China" era.

by Anonymousreply 22March 23, 2020 2:45 AM

R21 You really are living in another world, do you really think that now that the pandemic is getting worse and that the orange agent is calling it "the chinese virus", things are getting better for chinese restaurants??? Are you an idiot ?

by Anonymousreply 23March 23, 2020 2:49 AM

If we can get back on track. Yes OP.

The tourism industry is going to be fucked for a long time. Even once America gets through the worst of it this is a worldwide virus. Travel is going to be more precarious for a while.

by Anonymousreply 24March 23, 2020 2:52 AM

I just heard that auto body shops are losing business because people aren't driving, so they're not getting into accidents and needing car repair.

by Anonymousreply 25March 23, 2020 3:09 AM

R22 I believe China made that move long before the rest of the world has realized, a lot factories owned by Chinese were already moved to Bangladesh, Vietnam, Indonesia... manufacturing no longer a top priority, instead they are investing a domestic service sector, like this money printing high speed train operator, which generates more profit than Apple.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 23, 2020 3:14 AM

the tourism industry should almost have never gotten as big as it did, especially with airline travel.

perhaps if it becomes more difficult to do, people will invest in their own places more.

regionalism is not necessarily a bad thing.

by Anonymousreply 27March 23, 2020 3:17 AM

The Chinese are like diseased locusts.

Whatever they’re involved in leads to disaster.

by Anonymousreply 28March 23, 2020 3:22 AM

R26 I like China!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 23, 2020 3:22 AM

cruise lines are done!

talking about cruise lines, the troubled ones all from the British princess company, first diamond princess, now ruby princess...other companies like carnival, norwegian or carribean all seemed ok, none had a covid-19 cluster ship.

by Anonymousreply 30March 23, 2020 3:28 AM

Will anybody go to Fire Island or Provincetown this summer?

by Anonymousreply 31March 23, 2020 3:30 AM

They will lose a few months income. But even if those places go bankrupt, they will be bought out of bankruptcy by someone to fill the demand - which will return when this is over. I personally will try to jam in as many trips as possible if this slows down by July. A lot of pent up demand will fill every place that has been empty during the crisis.

by Anonymousreply 32March 23, 2020 3:31 AM

OT: Chinatowns are collapsing around the country because most of them are nestled in cities—and rents are skyrocketing in most urban areas.

You can’t pay much rent by selling bamboo backscratchers and paper parasols. Why Chinatowns have been such tourist attractions, for so long, is hard to understand.

Back to topic: The tourism industry has become no more than an Instagram accessory. People are starting to realize that most tours just aren’t worth the money, inconvenience, and hardship. They'll start staying home more, or just visiting other locations nearby.

by Anonymousreply 33March 23, 2020 3:36 AM

Actually a lot people from Asia seem to oddly love the Chinatown. I've seen buses stop there. Authentic food they like maybe. Like an American seeking a McDonald's in Paris.

by Anonymousreply 34March 23, 2020 3:38 AM

Those saying that China will come out on top are forgetting that they will have no customers in the coming months, even if they are prepared to produce, which is unlikely. They're as fucked as everyone else.

by Anonymousreply 35March 23, 2020 3:47 AM

Are you kidding, OP? Florida still can't get the kids off the beaches! In Broward County, just north of Miami-Dade and the hardest hit by the virus, they're not even closing the beaches until this Thursday.

I predict Florida will see a rapid recovery and very little drop in housing costs (if at all).

by Anonymousreply 36March 23, 2020 3:57 AM

r30 "The British princess company?" Princess is based in California and is owned by Carnival, a US corporation. Carnival also owns Holland America, Cunard, and a bunch of other cruise lines.

by Anonymousreply 37March 23, 2020 4:42 AM

If this maddness clams down before the all important late spring through early autumn tourist season things might not be so bad. This however will surely vary by location

New York City, Paris, London, Berlin, and a few other major international travel destinations will still be there, gorgeous as ever and so forth. Rates for hotels and other things may be discounted on case by case basis to get bookings, but never the less things will start to get back into routine.

People tend to have short memories. It wasn't long after WWII (by 1950's or so) that Americans who could were travelling to places in Europe that were open for business. This despite the carnage and horrors that were not even a distant memory.

It does sound cruel to say, but life goes on.....

by Anonymousreply 38March 23, 2020 4:42 AM

Anyone who can psychologically process eating Chinese food right now is a sociopath. Nuff said.

by Anonymousreply 39March 23, 2020 4:57 AM

[quote]Anyone who can psychologically process eating Chinese food right now is a sociopath. Nuff said.

WTF? What does Chinese food have to do with anything? Take your racism elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 40March 23, 2020 5:14 AM

[QUOTE]WTF? What does Chinese food have to do with anything? Take your racism elsewhere.

It was "Chinese food" (bats, snakes, pangolins) what caused this catastrophe.

by Anonymousreply 41March 23, 2020 7:41 AM

The message at R13 brought to you by Putin via Whorelana Slutinskaya.

by Anonymousreply 42March 23, 2020 7:44 AM

Florida, hawaii , california and Vegas will be fine, the rest of the US tourism ,fucked!!

by Anonymousreply 43March 23, 2020 7:47 AM

As soon as this is over I'm planning trips to NYC and Newfoundland/The Maritimes.

by Anonymousreply 44March 23, 2020 7:55 AM

I feel for Rome, and Italy, in general. It seems like everyone's living here is connected to tourism one way or the other. This will be devastating.

by Anonymousreply 45March 23, 2020 8:02 AM

[quote]It was "Chinese food" (bats, snakes, pangolins) what caused this catastrophe.

God, the ignorance of gays on this site.

by Anonymousreply 46March 23, 2020 8:13 AM

Good. I hate tourism. I hate tourists.

by Anonymousreply 47March 23, 2020 2:59 PM

Domestic travel will pick up in a few weeks if things go the way I think they will, and I mean domestic travel in most of the countries of the world, and will be close to normal by the end of the year.

International travel will stay sluggish for longer. Borders will be closed, travel to and from certain nations will be limited by law, xenophobia will spike, and as long as there are any headlines anywhere, people will still be afraid of flying abroad and finding they can't get home. I myself will not go anywhere I can't drive home from, for a while.

by Anonymousreply 48March 23, 2020 7:38 PM

R13 here. Just a couple of days off on the stock market prediction, but it is happening now. A bill will be agreed on probably today, and signed. We will find out how much the Democrats caved in a week or so. In a month, the people left out of the bill will suddenly realize that the bill had nothing for them. The prediction I made is now on a rocket sled, as fuck-face Trump Mc ass-clown is going to open up the country. If he does that, and I think he will, we will see a collapse of everything on a monumental scale. This time the stock market is going to tank into depression , and nothing the government can do will stop it, unless they basically buy all debt. Then the prediction stays on the same track. Summer of economic collapse, with the added bonus of virus running completely wild, fall puts it in hyper-drive, and Trump cancels election.

China wins.

by Anonymousreply 49March 24, 2020 7:06 PM

Asshole at r47, did you ever stop to think about how many people work in tourism like myself and have no idea when they’ll work again?

I hope you DIE.

by Anonymousreply 50March 24, 2020 8:16 PM

I have a feeling that when this is over and people start earning a little bit of money again, local tourism will flourish. People might still be skittish about flying halfway across the world, but cabin fever will have rendered people eager and thirsty to see faces and sights other than their immediate famiy and homes. Beaches, national parks, bowling alleys. Things like that.

by Anonymousreply 51March 24, 2020 8:26 PM

My furlough begins April 4 for 60-90 days. I work in the tourism industry. Scary times for us, and other industries too. But everything is cyclical and we will, maybe not BOUNCE back, but will slowly climb out of this economic quagmire. Don’t hate on tourists, man R47. They keep me and millions of people employed.

by Anonymousreply 52March 24, 2020 8:50 PM

Mass tourism is destructive and unsustainable. If this leads cities and national tourism authorities to rethink what kind of tourism they want and how to manage it, good. Maybe everyone can’t and shouldn’t go everywhere they want whenever they want to go.

by Anonymousreply 53March 24, 2020 10:41 PM

I hope that everyone who works in the industry makes it through. The only reason I don't want the Trump Organization to tank is because of all the working people it will destroy. You know Trump is paying his employees a living wage.

by Anonymousreply 54March 24, 2020 10:50 PM

You know Trump ISN'T paying his employees a living wage.

by Anonymousreply 55March 24, 2020 10:51 PM

And it isn't just the lower/middle classes who won't afford to travel. Even those Upper Middle class people or even rich ones will lose money and probably won't be able to luxury travel for a year or two.

Billionaires or super rich people can't sustain an entire industry.

by Anonymousreply 56March 28, 2020 11:09 PM

Various city forums are reporting there is a spike in homes for sale. Probably AirBnBs.

by Anonymousreply 57March 28, 2020 11:11 PM

I can get a hotel in Manhattan now for around 45 dollars.

by Anonymousreply 58March 28, 2020 11:21 PM

I do think that when things lighten up and restrictions are lifted, there will be a small boom in travel and tourism.

Whether people can afford it or not, because I can't be the only one who's so desperate to travel I'd go to Pigeon Forge or Branson, rather than stay home another day.

by Anonymousreply 59March 28, 2020 11:22 PM

I have a friend who told me that his friends are snapping up the cheapo airfares right now, in anticipation of flying late this year.

by Anonymousreply 60March 28, 2020 11:45 PM

movie theaters? maybe a thing of the past too.

by Anonymousreply 61March 28, 2020 11:49 PM

first thing i'll do when it's over (i.e., there's a vaccine) is go to Italy for a month

by Anonymousreply 62March 28, 2020 11:54 PM

All the theme parks in central Florida are going to get pummeled, Disney is already hurting.

"The Walt Disney Co. has raised roughly $6 billion through a debt offering, according to a company filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission on Friday. Disney offered six different notes, which will mature between 2025 and 2050, and have interest rates as low as 3.35% and as high as 4.7%. The debt notes range in value from $500 million and $1.75 billion."

by Anonymousreply 63March 29, 2020 12:18 AM

R63 I'm wondering how the future will affect Disney World. Disneyland I believe is largely supported by those that live within driving distance, I think it's like 70% of the customer base. Disney World is an entirely different story. I guess the question is whether local residents visiting will be enough to support it until air travel picks back up, which all depends on how much disposable income people have on the other side of this.

by Anonymousreply 64March 29, 2020 5:40 AM

r53, Go away you communist. We don't want you in my great America.

by Anonymousreply 65March 29, 2020 1:19 PM

Come to New York.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 29, 2020 2:17 PM

Isn't this capitalism, though? BOOTSTRAPS, Disney!

by Anonymousreply 67March 29, 2020 2:26 PM

Can't wait for countries to reopen their borders. Best time to travel. It'll be dirt cheap and not crowded as people will still be hesitant to venture out.

by Anonymousreply 68March 29, 2020 2:30 PM

The tourism industry will bounce back, everything will bounce back. It's been two weeks people. Yes, we still have a lo way to go, but once this virus subsides people will go back to "normal". We are programmed to "move on". Sure no one wanted to get on a plane or go to NYC after 9/11, but they did...eventually. People were afraid to eat romaine lettuce when that outbreak happened, but they did again. Everyone needs to calm the fuck down, stay at home and be safe and remain positive.

by Anonymousreply 69March 29, 2020 2:41 PM

R69, amen! Common sense seems to have disappeared lately.

by Anonymousreply 70March 29, 2020 2:55 PM

R20 says: "By 2021 China will be humming along, we will be wreckage."

By 2021, China will be making plastic toys again. Western nations that foolishly allowed their own industries to be offshored to China are seeing the error of their ways. No one will trust China again for a long time because of their attempts to cover up the coronavirus outbreak when it began. That and their efforts to steal technology will be more fully revealed, making Western companies unwilling to share technology.

Tourism is fucked - no one's going to P-Town this summer as the beaches will in all likelihood be closed on the Cape. MLB won't have games until June, if then. Nobody is going to pack stadiums with 50,000 people and it won't be a problem because an awful lot of tourists and sports fans will be broke. Whoever said international travel will recover (let alone that NYC, London, and Paris will be open for business by late spring) is nuts for the same reason: discretionary spending will have fallen through the floor in the next few months. Europe was open for business after WWII (the French were in some minds celebrating their cowardice, advertising that Paris was undamaged and open for business because it hadn't been bombed like London) but most of the travel was business-related and in minuscule numbers compared to international tourism today. I'm looking at a 1951 issue of Holiday magazine and it's 95% domestic and North American destinations being advertised: "New Jersey: Vacation Host to the Nation" and "Massachusetts: the Bay State is the Play State" along with ads for the Missouri Pacific Railroad ("trains to modern, sunny Mexico"), "Nova Scotia - Canada's Atlantic Playground," and Pan Am service to the Caribbean

It pains me to see this, especially for those employed in tourism-related activities, but it'll take a long time to get back to normal.

by Anonymousreply 71March 29, 2020 3:13 PM

traveling is a luxury, eating out in a restaurant is a luxury. going to a show on the great white way is a luxury. when we are removed from this emergency and we look up from counting sheets of toilet paper, we will see reduced incomes and limited job prospects= no fucking money for non necessities.

by Anonymousreply 72March 29, 2020 4:22 PM

R72 gets it. People without money do not 'travel". The majority of US citizens will be poor, with no health insurance, and barely a job in 2021.

Did you happen to see the latest from the health insurance companies? Rates will increase 40% next year because of the virus.

by Anonymousreply 73March 29, 2020 5:24 PM

R71 is right, their is going to be massive blowback against China. They created the crisis, and are now using it for a disgusting propaganda war. I hope everyone knows the tariffs aren't going away. Their whole point was not to bring back jobs to the US, it was to diversify our trade economy, particularly with Asia. Companies have already begun sourcing from other countries. This was a strategic weakening of Western reliance on one nation's manufacturing.

by Anonymousreply 74March 30, 2020 12:58 AM

Half of orthodontists will go out of business as people can't smile through their face masks anymore. And probably lipsticks will become useless.

by Anonymousreply 75April 25, 2020 2:40 PM

Whomever mass markets a transparent mask or one with a window with be a millionaire.

by Anonymousreply 76April 25, 2020 2:57 PM

[quote] their is going to be massive blowback against China.

Oh, dear.

by Anonymousreply 77April 25, 2020 7:39 PM

I'm in the hotel business. Furloughed indefinitely. We started getting warnings when large convention groups started cancelling as we were gearing up for Spring Break. Weddings, HS reunions cancelled or postponed. I have no clue when I can go back. Having to Door Dash right now.

Re: Chinese takeout, I deliver enough of it to think they are probably doing okay. Not near Chinatowns though.

by Anonymousreply 78April 25, 2020 7:55 PM

I don't think the blowback to China will be that great - Americans need their cheap goods and are unwilling to spend more for quality, And now a lot of them can't even if they want to.

by Anonymousreply 79April 25, 2020 8:05 PM

R78 in the hotel industry as well. Corporate based Learning+Development. On furlough was told 60-90 days. I fear that may be optimistic. Oh well....

by Anonymousreply 80April 25, 2020 9:17 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!