Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"Christmas in March"

Has anyone been noticing this lately?

I was driving to work last week, and the talking heads mentioned how people are putting their Christmas lights back up, and the Hallmark Channel is showing Christmas movies again.

Why, you ask? "Because Christmas is hope." And I guess people need some of that right now.

Will you be joining in the festivities?

by Anonymousreply 50April 2, 2020 9:29 PM

People are weird, especially women.

by Anonymousreply 1March 22, 2020 8:01 PM

I wouldn't do it but I understand why people are. At the moment, things are a bit like that period in between Christmas and New Year's Eve where no one knows which day of the week it is, and everyone's just watching TV for hours.

by Anonymousreply 2March 22, 2020 8:04 PM

I thought they were doing it for the benefit of the people who are going to be dead from the coronavirus by December and won't be around then.

by Anonymousreply 3March 22, 2020 8:06 PM

[quote] OP: Will you be joining in the festivities?

Absolutely!

by Anonymousreply 4March 22, 2020 8:07 PM

Candace Cameron Bure's pussy must be dripping wet.

by Anonymousreply 5March 22, 2020 8:08 PM

"People are weird, especially women."

Honey, with some testosterone retard like Trump in charge, why don't you think about how "weird" men are instead.

by Anonymousreply 6March 22, 2020 8:28 PM

Sounds kind of fun, actually.

There's nothing else to do while being locked in the house.

Might as well put up Christmas decorations and watch the Hallmark Channel.

by Anonymousreply 7March 22, 2020 8:29 PM

I was flipping thru my Directv guide this morning and saw the craziest Hallmark Xmas movie ever: A Shoe Addict's Christmas. A woman is locked in a dept store on Xmas eve and is greeted by her guardian angel who shows her scenes from xmases past, present, and future. Starring, yes, Candace Cameron Bure. It's too much in December, unnecessary and annoying in July, but this? At least Frasier is still on unlike December.

I noticed xmas stuff in a couple of local grocery stores (boxed cake and cookie mixes) pulled out of storage to have items on shelves.

by Anonymousreply 8March 23, 2020 1:09 AM

I like the idea.

We could use some cheer, right about now.

I might even break out the Pennsylvania Dutch Egg Nog tonight.

by Anonymousreply 9March 23, 2020 1:32 AM

This will put those who hate Christmas (so many here on DL alone) over the edge.

by Anonymousreply 10March 23, 2020 1:35 AM

This is the very essence of frau.

by Anonymousreply 11March 23, 2020 1:36 AM

FUCK the Hallmark Channel!!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 23, 2020 1:43 AM

Fraus and kids will all be at home anyway, so it will be ALL CHRISTMAS, ALL THE TIME!

by Anonymousreply 13March 23, 2020 4:09 PM

This is so fucking stupid.

by Anonymousreply 14March 23, 2020 4:18 PM

Suicides peak around Christmas. It's the most depressing holiday.

by Anonymousreply 15March 23, 2020 4:26 PM

Certainly not more depressing than what we're living through now, R15.

Which is, an ACTUAL Depression.

by Anonymousreply 16March 23, 2020 4:28 PM

That is peak Fraudom.

by Anonymousreply 17March 23, 2020 4:51 PM

I think I'm going to watch Christmas movies tonight, eat a candy cane (I have three boxes left from December), and drink some egg nog.

I might even put up some lights, if I have the energy.

by Anonymousreply 18March 23, 2020 10:06 PM

I watched Christmas Vacation earlier hoping it would cheer me up. But I felt even more depressed watching it because it made me wish it was the 80s again. And Christmas time. I'm sure as hell not going to watch Halloween now.

by Anonymousreply 19March 23, 2020 10:36 PM

Is this verifiable? Are they really showing Christmas movies? I'd be down to watch a Christmas movie for the spirits. Though I'm doing alright.

by Anonymousreply 20March 23, 2020 10:37 PM

Hallmark Channel, R20.

by Anonymousreply 21March 23, 2020 10:47 PM

Looks like it's a real thing:

[quote] Christmas Lights Are Back: People Try To Brighten Spirits Amid Coronavirus Fear

It’s beginning to a look a little like the most surreal Christmas anyone’s ever seen.

About 100 million Americans are now under instructions to shelter in place to stop the spread of the coronavirus outbreak. And some are responding in an unusual way: by putting up their holiday lights.

In an effort to raise spirits, seasonal decor is emerging from garages, sheds and closets for a rare spring appearance. Over the weekend, Hallmark Channel even broke out its Christmas movies.

Brian Earl, host of the Christmas Past podcast, said the holiday got lost amid impeachment news and a calendar that had the fewest days possible between Thanksgiving and Christmas.

“So what we’re seeing now feels to be equal parts do-over of 2019 and grabbing at something that feels warm and comforting,” he said.

In response, Earl brought his podcast out of hibernation and began posting “Christmas in Quarantine” episodes. He also displayed some of his own decorations at his home in the San Francisco Bay area.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22March 29, 2020 10:40 AM

Where is this happening? Not where I am. Are you in the Midwest or south, OP?

Oh! A terrible thought just struck me. What if I told my frau-y SIL (we are sharing a house) about this? She might actually do this. It could be funny or it could be torture.

by Anonymousreply 23March 29, 2020 1:26 PM

FORMAL PROTEST

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 29, 2020 1:27 PM

I finally settled in and watched the Hallmark Channel on Sunday night.

I saw the CUTEST Christmas show with Brandon Routh. It was called "The Nine Lives of Christmas," and Routh was so adorable in it.

It was a bit of a step down from Superman (of course), but Routh looks so damned good. Also, the story was pretty decent. Not your typical Hallmark twee.

Catch it if you can!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 30, 2020 10:09 PM

P.S., the cats in the movie were really cute, too.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 30, 2020 10:10 PM

I noticed on my Nextdoor app that someone suggested we do it around the neighborhood. The suggester was a Vietnamese man, however, and his yard is done in red, white, and blue lights for the American flag. He said he wanted to share a sense of hope and unity in the face of adversity.

I thought it was sweet.

I took a walk around the neighborhood for the first time since the stay-at-home order. (We get to take walks, but only with people from the same household. I took the dog.) A few neighbors, especially ones with kids, had written positive messages on the sidewalks in chalk, and others had signs in their windows.

This is really a fucking scary time for a lot of us. I don't mind the Hallmark-movie environment if it can take the edge off a little.

by Anonymousreply 27March 30, 2020 10:26 PM

^ I hasten to add that during my walk, I saw a surprising amount of day drinking.

by Anonymousreply 28March 30, 2020 10:36 PM

Lol R28.

Where did you observe the day drinking?

In their homes? Out in a park?

by Anonymousreply 29March 30, 2020 10:44 PM

R26, no one cares about pussy on this site.

by Anonymousreply 30March 31, 2020 12:07 AM

It's okay for now because the weather is still relatively cool.

Once it starts getting warmer, all the lights and decorations will seem a bit ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 31April 2, 2020 12:28 PM

What a sad, bizarre end of times

by Anonymousreply 32April 2, 2020 12:29 PM

R6 Exactly. The straight men are the weirdest. Fist fights over toilet paper and loading up on guns and ammo is definitely not more sane than stringing up some twinkle lights and watching Love Actually.

by Anonymousreply 33April 2, 2020 12:42 PM

Love Actually is the tackiest movie ever made.

by Anonymousreply 34April 2, 2020 1:45 PM

Um, no. This is on a par with the 70- to 100-car 'birthday parades' taking place in my suburban Dallas neighborhood, now, on a weekly basis. All, really, so the self-congratulatory mommies can bray about it on FB. (They drive so slowly that it really looks more like funeral procession, but I don't have the heart to point that out online!) Read a book, people. Go for a walk. Cook something. Wank off .... leave the Christmas junk in boxes.

by Anonymousreply 35April 2, 2020 1:58 PM

R34 I laugh at Love Actually for all the wrong reasons. I have no idea who that movie was made for. It’s not really a frau flick. It’s just garbage.

by Anonymousreply 36April 2, 2020 2:07 PM

On my way to the "senior hour" at the grocery store, before dawn this morning, I spotted a house with a string of Xmas lights hanging along the eaves, from one end of the roof to the other. It did not look festive. It looked stupid and dismal.

by Anonymousreply 37April 2, 2020 2:14 PM

This was made up by trashy people who still hadn’t taken down their Xmas decorations.

by Anonymousreply 38April 2, 2020 2:20 PM

For many, it's tradition to take down their Christmas lights on Easter Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 39April 2, 2020 2:25 PM

T he radio station where I live is currently playing Christmas music. Heard it at the post office yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 40April 2, 2020 2:28 PM

[quote]For many, it's tradition to take down their Christmas lights on Easter Sunday

No.

by Anonymousreply 41April 2, 2020 2:33 PM

[quote] mommies can bray about it on FB.

😂

by Anonymousreply 42April 2, 2020 2:47 PM

Frau Fest

by Anonymousreply 43April 2, 2020 2:48 PM

It’s not just fraus, though. I know a few queens who have put up their lights. The homeless guy who lives in the shrubs outside the laundry room of my apartment building put a single red bulb in the shrubs by his sleeping bag. So, there’s that.

by Anonymousreply 44April 2, 2020 3:24 PM

Here it's the Teddy Bear Scavenger Hunt (based on some children's book), except it's not all Teddy Bears - there's a woman down the street with a furry plush chicken on the porch. Kids, mostly pre-schoolers search for them as something to do. Going out is one thing: going out with a purpose (finding stuffed toys) is another. Hey, if the kids enjoy it and it gives the fraus something to do besides scream at each other in the house then WTH?

I'm rotating animals daily. Thus far no one that I know of has ID'd my stuffed capybara from Casa Lopez in BA, but the wombat from an airport gift shop in Brisbane was a big hit with the under-fives yesterday judging by the high-pitched screaming in the driveway.

Some people have both lights and bears but the effect is lost on the kids - the lights aren't on in the daytime and the kids, for the most part, aren't walking around at night.

by Anonymousreply 45April 2, 2020 3:48 PM

Why can' we have a one or two week celebration just don' call it Christmas. Call it oh I don' know Saurnalia.

by Anonymousreply 46April 2, 2020 3:55 PM

Some of my neighbors haven't taken theirs down yet, now they look so "with it"

by Anonymousreply 47April 2, 2020 4:09 PM

This reminds me of something that happened in Santa Barbara a few decades ago. In an attempt at promoting road safety, for an entire July 4th weekend, radio station KDB played nothing but Christmas music "for the people who will be killed in July 4th accidents and won't be around in December." I have no idea whether the campaign worked, but the event was a one-off, never to be repeated.

by Anonymousreply 48April 2, 2020 7:14 PM

r29, in driveways! Some just standing around. A couple had dragged out their collapsible patio chairs for some End-of-Times fresh-air beer swilling.

by Anonymousreply 49April 2, 2020 9:24 PM

Be sure to check out the Spotify playlist I curated for Gap's official channel, featuring Holiday favorites played on Gap In-Store Playlists in the Nineties!

#GiveGap

#EveryGiftOnlyGap

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50April 2, 2020 9:29 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!