Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Philadelphia - How You Doing?

You alright?

by Anonymousreply 193July 7, 2020 12:24 PM

Phil is fine but Mrs Adelphia is stir crazy.

Read about past Philly epidemics below

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1March 22, 2020 1:26 PM

Bearing up under the strain, but it's the end of just the first week of many to come. I walk every day with some friends, it's good to have social interaction among our group and we also chat with others we encounter. Spirits seem to be fine, and we still have our sense of humor. I was going to brave Trader Joe's this morning when it opened, but woke up too late.

Have been reading more, attacking some Times' crossword puzzles a friend saves for me and I promised myself to sew a few of those masks that many organizations are requesting.

What's up witchu'?

by Anonymousreply 2March 22, 2020 1:36 PM

Watching documentaries on YouTube, Hulu, Vudu and Tubi. Also journaling on my PC. I live in South Philadelphia near Broad and Wharton...it’s ridiculously quiet.

by Anonymousreply 3March 22, 2020 1:55 PM

r3 I am 5 blocks from you. We'll wave when we pass your area.

by Anonymousreply 4March 22, 2020 1:59 PM

Thank r4. FYI, the new Target is a WASTELAND for good bread...

by Anonymousreply 5March 22, 2020 3:30 PM

driven crazy by the isolation, but thanks for asking. I've taken to having a drink on my stoop around cocktail hour (as the weather has been so mild of late) just to watch people pass. I miss going out and socializing, and shopping feels rushed and fraught (though the italian market is still up and running and likely safer than the acme)

what strikes me are so many philadelphians JOGGING now, sort of like rocky balboa fan clubs everywhere now - that is since gyms have closed .

out later to look for TP. . . .

by Anonymousreply 6March 22, 2020 3:44 PM

R1, I know, right? Philadelphia is the news - for being the worst case example from the last world pandemic!

by Anonymousreply 7March 22, 2020 3:45 PM

R5, but the sprouts is good. but oy! so many desperate white people there!

by Anonymousreply 8March 22, 2020 3:46 PM

Hey South Philly Gays! I’m at 12th and Federal.

Stay at home order in affect tomorrow am.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 22, 2020 7:59 PM

Yup, complete isolation now

by Anonymousreply 10March 23, 2020 12:30 AM

I’ve self quarantined m as I’m in a risk group; If I contracted the virus it could potentially be fatal. I was able to sleep in a bit. But I have been eating everything in sight.

by Anonymousreply 11March 23, 2020 11:48 AM

It’s raining so staying indoors today should be easier

by Anonymousreply 12March 23, 2020 1:56 PM

Screw the rain, I'm goin' out.

by Anonymousreply 13March 23, 2020 2:27 PM

stay six feet away, they are policing today

by Anonymousreply 14March 23, 2020 2:31 PM

We’ve become a police state.

by Anonymousreply 15March 23, 2020 4:34 PM

it's the biggest calamity to hit the country since WWII, you worried about freedom of movement?

by Anonymousreply 16March 23, 2020 6:12 PM

In suburbs and doing fine. Appreciating we are doing better than many and that we have a Dem gov who was relatively ahead of the curve. We also have great hospitals and healthcare. Enjoying nature walks in local Arboretum and walks to the local store for necessities as needed. Grateful to be here right now - feel it’s one of the best places I could be.

by Anonymousreply 17March 23, 2020 6:31 PM

[quote]In suburbs and doing fine. Appreciating we are doing better than many and that we have a Dem gov who was relatively ahead of the curve.

interesting as the suburbs are the epicenter of the contagion - at least montco

by Anonymousreply 18March 23, 2020 6:42 PM

Some suburbs were hit with a few cases - still very small compared to NYC. But given the relatively early recommendations then requirement for isolation and shutdowns of schools and businesses, I think we should be able to avoid the worst of it. I’m also impressed that they set up a drive though testing site at the stadium Friday. Still need to get referred to it - but impressive they got a city-run testing system up and running faster than NYC.

by Anonymousreply 19March 23, 2020 6:49 PM

I went to the Italian market for vegetables and some sausage. I would recommend this if you want a walk and open air market. Di Bruno's is open.

by Anonymousreply 20March 23, 2020 6:57 PM

[quote]I think we should be able to avoid the worst of it. I’m also impressed that they set up a drive though testing site at the stadium Friday.

but you MUST have a car, you're called by license plate number

by Anonymousreply 21March 23, 2020 7:17 PM

R20, those mexicans had delicious avocados for 50 cents!

by Anonymousreply 22March 23, 2020 7:18 PM

Montgomery County is ground zero?

by Anonymousreply 23March 24, 2020 2:59 AM

yes, in PA

by Anonymousreply 24March 24, 2020 1:52 PM

Hey fellow Philadelphians! I’m wondering if anyone knows the answer to this—I want to exercise on a walking trail, but I’m not sure if I’m allowed to drive to it. There isn’t anything in my area of NE Philly except concrete.

by Anonymousreply 25March 24, 2020 2:01 PM

Crossover from the Kirstie Alley thread.... question for you Philadelphians. Did Parker Stevenson (grew up in Phila burbs) go to Haverford School? Or one of those WASPy mainline schools? Anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 26March 24, 2020 2:37 PM

r25, I honestly didn't know of ANY restriction on driving

by Anonymousreply 27March 24, 2020 2:40 PM

Out and about with my little band of rebels again. We racked up 3+ miles and had a good time doing it: taking photos, chatting with folks along the way, and then hit CVS for some necessities. With all the grocery shopping and errands I did this morning, I'm about to hit 5 miles. It's a beautiful day to be outdoors but tomorrow is rain, decent weather Thursday, then rain the whole weekend. So make the most today!

by Anonymousreply 28March 24, 2020 10:13 PM

Rebels? Understand the need to get out - but not something to brag about

by Anonymousreply 29March 24, 2020 10:16 PM

r29 Would it have been better or worse if the word had quotation marks around it?

by Anonymousreply 30March 24, 2020 10:22 PM

Either, it’s just a weird thing to joke about

by Anonymousreply 31March 25, 2020 2:33 AM

All for exercise - but doing it myself. Seems like we have a decent day we can get outride and the next day is cold and rainy - perfect for sitting inside. Like tomorrow. Spring will be awesome when it eventually gets here in full force. Hope springs eternal.

by Anonymousreply 32March 25, 2020 3:17 AM

We're the only state that totally closed all the wine and liquor stores, New York kept them open. That's what you get when you have a state founded by fucking Quakers instead of crazy Dutchmen.

by Anonymousreply 33March 25, 2020 3:34 AM

r31 A little humor is, at this time, a necessity, IMHO. I'm sorry you don't share my view, and I apologize for having upset you. I can't un-ring the bell unfortunately, I hope you won't let it unduly color your opinion of me.

by Anonymousreply 34March 25, 2020 11:05 AM

Love you BronzeAgeGay, over here in Central PA and appreciate your updates. Stay strong.

by Anonymousreply 35March 25, 2020 11:15 AM

I went out at 3 in the morning to Walgreens on Broad Street and it was closed. What gives? Aren't they essential? I walked across the street to Rite Aid and they were still open. I was a bit surprised by how much they still had in stock. The nice thing about South Philly is that it has so many small corner stores that have tons of shit still in supply.

by Anonymousreply 36March 25, 2020 11:45 AM

[quote]We're the only state that totally closed all the wine and liquor stores, New York kept them open. That's what you get when you have a state founded by fucking Quakers instead of crazy Dutchmen.

The supermarkets are still selling wine and beer though.

by Anonymousreply 37March 25, 2020 11:46 AM

A friend of mine is a psychiatrist and is having to meet with her patients via Zoom every week.

What is it with Zoom now? I never heard of it before and now everyone and everywhere uses it. It's THE service now.

by Anonymousreply 38March 25, 2020 11:48 AM

South Philly is doing mass testing from cars at FDR park.

by Anonymousreply 39March 25, 2020 11:51 AM

So the City wants to take over the old Hahnemann site for a care facility for Corona patients. Will this be a real hospital, with doctors and nurses and a dietary and housekeeping laundry departments, or in usual city of Philadelphia fashion, going to be a dumping ground/warehouse where people will either go to die or die from all the filth and grime and unsanitary conditions in the facility. If you look at the current state of Philadelphia's schools, its jails, public housing and juvenile facilities, the City's track record on operating decent, clean and safe facilities is quite dismal.

by Anonymousreply 40March 25, 2020 12:25 PM

good question. the holiday Inn express is being converted to a quarantine for the homeless who test positive

by Anonymousreply 41March 25, 2020 1:37 PM

I think it’s funny that the gayborhood Holiday Inn Express is being turned into a homeless shelter. They always had the cheapest rates - despite being a prime location. Not sure how they come back after that - requires serious fumigation. But it may be a sign they are planning on selling soon. An underutilized location - and prime real estate.

I guess the Rodeway Inn didn’t have enough rooms - or was already filled with vagrants.

by Anonymousreply 42March 25, 2020 4:32 PM

R37, but the supermarkets still have to get their wine through the PLCB.

by Anonymousreply 43March 25, 2020 4:36 PM

R40, so we can now see the problem of turning replacing hospitals into condominiums.

by Anonymousreply 44March 25, 2020 4:38 PM

I was bruised and battered, I couldn't tell what I felt I was unrecognizable to myself I saw my reflection in a window, I didn't know my own face Oh brother are you gonna leave me wastin' away On the Streets of Philadelphia

by Anonymousreply 45March 25, 2020 4:47 PM

that's how we feel now

by Anonymousreply 46March 25, 2020 5:03 PM

trying to order liquor online, where should I GO?

by Anonymousreply 47March 25, 2020 5:10 PM

For a city that like its liquor, I’m shocked all liquor sources are closed. It’s like forced rehab for the whole state. The LCB needs to die.

by Anonymousreply 48March 25, 2020 5:40 PM

you can apparently order liquor from distilleries and they will deliver

by Anonymousreply 49March 25, 2020 5:40 PM

R48 - I'm not in PA, but a liquor shortage will start riots in the street faster than any food shortage will!

Got to keep up the spirits, figuratively and literally.

by Anonymousreply 50March 25, 2020 5:47 PM

Our "local" distillery (I'm in PA but not Philly) will deliver spirits. Maybe even cocktails.

by Anonymousreply 51March 25, 2020 5:56 PM

Walked into town to deliver some face masks I'd made. Noticed that NUTS TO YOU was open, so I got a few snacks: popcorn, peanut butter and raisins too(I've been feeling the need for bread pudding) Skies were gray and the weather cool and damp, had my umbrella just in case(didn't need it except the last half mile) The Italian Market had many shops open, and a handful of stalls, got some: oranges, strawberries and avocados. Stopped at Sarcone's and they had their famous pepperoni bread, got one for me and a few for my brother and SIL.

No walks with the gang today, so I'm hoping we can all get together tomorrow, it's supposed to be a lovely sunny day, high of 60.

Not much of an alcohol drinker, although an occasional glass of wine is a treat. I seem to have all reds in the house, which only make me sleepy. Have to put pinot grigio on the list for the next shopping trip.

by Anonymousreply 52March 25, 2020 9:01 PM

I live in the Rox:/Manayunk section of Philly. It way too quiet around here. Below is a distillery that delivers booze to Philly. I ordered a couple bottles last night 🍹

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 25, 2020 9:40 PM

I went out today for the first time in 2 days, first to the Family Dollar at 17th & Washington, they have toilet paper (which the Acme at 10th & South still doesn't have). Then I went to the Acme for fresh produce and their wine stock is severely depleted so I got 2 bottles of chardonnay. I do not think they are being restocked with wine, so a heads-up to the vinologists of Philly that we are under prohibition again thanks to Gov. Wolf, the only state in the US to be so.

by Anonymousreply 54March 25, 2020 9:41 PM

All grocery stores should be able to sell wine and beer. Especially when all bars are closed. Why is it so hard to kill these ridiculous laws / monopolies on alcohol distribution?

by Anonymousreply 55March 25, 2020 9:47 PM

It's called the UFCWU, R55. They sure as hell can't protect it's workers but it has a lot of sway in Harrisburg, that bastion of political patronage and cronyism.

by Anonymousreply 56March 25, 2020 10:10 PM

R47, drizly.com in my area.

by Anonymousreply 57March 25, 2020 10:12 PM

R55 is a raging drunk.

by Anonymousreply 58March 25, 2020 10:15 PM

R55, grocery stores can sell wine and beer in Pennsylvania.

by Anonymousreply 59March 25, 2020 11:46 PM

Aren't the liquor stores in NJ and Delaware still open?

by Anonymousreply 60March 26, 2020 12:49 AM

Likely, but I’m not driving there

by Anonymousreply 61March 26, 2020 1:49 PM

R60, NJ is easily accessed from the eastern part of Pennsylvania (especially Philadelphia), but the rest, not so much—could be a three-four hour or even longer drive.

by Anonymousreply 62March 26, 2020 1:51 PM

Well for those of us without cars, we are pretty much trapped in forced rehab.

by Anonymousreply 63March 26, 2020 2:05 PM

Just ordered curbside delivery of gin and vodka today from faber liquors. rumor has it that they supply you with an extra goodie if you live in philly (not telling until I see it)

by Anonymousreply 64March 26, 2020 2:35 PM

Are we supposed to walk six feet apart from people we *live* with?

by Anonymousreply 65March 26, 2020 2:44 PM

Most partners I’ve seen walking together. It’s the friends walking together that concerns me. I’ve been walking by myself - and am very content to spend pretty much all of my time by myself.

PA has done really well so far - given how close we are to the epicenter. Keep up the good work Philly! And all of our great nurses and doctors.

by Anonymousreply 66March 26, 2020 2:52 PM

I know, I'm grateful that wolf preemptively followed cuomo's lead and locked everything down. central PA might only have one confirmed case of COVID19 but without testing there could be thousands of asymptomatic cases there

by Anonymousreply 67March 26, 2020 3:03 PM

I read the Montgomery County drive up site has loosened restrictions on testing. Still require symptoms - but not fever. Hopefully a sign of increased availability of testing soon. With all the pharma companies in Montco, I would think they should be well equipped to deal with it - more than many places.

by Anonymousreply 68March 26, 2020 3:39 PM

Kind of a random question, but does anyone know if there’s a way to find out the number of cases by city zip codes? The suburban counties are listing by township but I can’t find anything similar for the city.

I have this feeling that this all started with a cluster on City Line ave. Lower merion and upper Darby seem screwed. I’m wondering if Overbrook, etc, are the same. I’m thinking St. Joe’s was a hotbed of CV.

by Anonymousreply 69March 26, 2020 4:09 PM

The Weather Channel App has an interactive map which shows areas least and most affected with CV cases.

by Anonymousreply 70March 26, 2020 4:17 PM

St Joes? More like Penn. international students and NYers. Upper Darby is hardest hit - maybe large Chinese population? But really ALL the local numbers are nothing in comparison to NJ and NY.

by Anonymousreply 71March 26, 2020 4:38 PM

How bad is NJ?

by Anonymousreply 72March 26, 2020 5:44 PM

let's have a shout out for the most trantastic health expert in the land Doctor Rachel Levine!

by Anonymousreply 73March 26, 2020 6:22 PM

villa nova hit?

by Anonymousreply 74March 26, 2020 6:23 PM

R53, they just delivered to my door - you have to order at least three bottles but they throw in a roll of toilet paper and some ginger beer!

by Anonymousreply 75March 26, 2020 7:11 PM

R71 - I don’t doubt all the colleges in the area are a problem, especially Penn. I’m asking about the City Line area specifically because someone I know had many trademarks of CV but couldn’t be tested, and it was highly suspected he caught it on the St. Joe’s campus

by Anonymousreply 76March 26, 2020 7:24 PM

shucks

by Anonymousreply 77March 26, 2020 7:37 PM

Know a bunch of St Joes kids - none have it AFAIK. Lower Merlin is a hot spot as is Upper Darby - maybe because its in between the two of those.

by Anonymousreply 78March 26, 2020 7:40 PM

pretty much, some of the only locals I know who've gotten it are from there

by Anonymousreply 79March 26, 2020 7:41 PM

Grubhub and Uber Eats are overloading my email account with pleas to support my local restaurants...free delivery.

by Anonymousreply 80March 26, 2020 9:21 PM

Yup, the restaurants themselves are hurting.

by Anonymousreply 81March 26, 2020 11:30 PM

Found a map of cases by zip code for anyone who is interested

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 29, 2020 1:29 PM

Oof, I started to take comfort in this recently released Philly confirmed case map. Then, I started looking at the number of tests run.

For example, the Gayborhood & Chinatown (zip code 19107) have only 141 tests of which 11 were positive. This is supposedly a relatively less infected area of the city, and given the testing rates I doubt this is accurate or reflective of the true Philadelphia case load.

by Anonymousreply 83March 29, 2020 1:59 PM

R82 Damn, I wish we had that sort of data for Pittsburgh. Our county is being extremely cagey with information.

by Anonymousreply 84March 29, 2020 2:14 PM

that sucks

by Anonymousreply 85March 29, 2020 2:15 PM

Thought testing was supposed to have picked up. I heard of drive through testing at the stadium and in Montco loosening restrictions. It does seem to be pretty mild so far. Wolf did a good job closing things down early. Haven’t seen many deaths nor heard of major issues with hospitals being overwhelmed.

by Anonymousreply 86March 29, 2020 2:15 PM

over forty confirmed cases in my zip code - Argh

by Anonymousreply 87March 29, 2020 2:45 PM

I’ve been ordering delivery from Crown Chicken...heaven help me...the meat pies are delicious.

by Anonymousreply 88March 30, 2020 3:14 PM

I'd rather order groceries but the only thing reliable I've found ordering online is everything BUT groceries.

by Anonymousreply 89March 30, 2020 5:14 PM

Just got back from the South Philly ACME. I was able to get eggs and toilet paper! Imagine that! Since I'm sheltered in place because of existing health issues, I am home and not at work. Normally I would go shopping after work and mostly everything would be picked over. I was lucky. I have one bottle of hand sanitizer that I will make last forever.

by Anonymousreply 90March 31, 2020 6:43 PM

the one on reed? I've heard that they are well stocked. was it crowded?

Finally out of desperation for flour I went to essene, the crunchy-granola place on 4th. they are for the record, well stocked, not crowded but indeed out of flour. the myriad of gluten free options there (wasting away, they don't seem popular nowadays) is mind boggling. the minus besides the no flour was the cashier who wasn't wearing gloves nor a mask. not good

by Anonymousreply 91March 31, 2020 6:47 PM

Yes R91. And I still have to go to Target to pick up some prescriptions. I may wait until tomorrow. And I've never been to Essene. On 4th and what? Is this Society Hill or Northern Libs?

by Anonymousreply 92March 31, 2020 6:49 PM

PS, R91, it wasn't crowded per se, but the lines were moving slowly because everyone's carts, including mine, were quite full.

by Anonymousreply 93March 31, 2020 6:50 PM

R92, fitzwater, it was the first "fancy" place to open up ever below south street, I believe in the seventies when it was run by legit hippies. veggie, and lots of high-end brands that are "organic" and such. lots and lots of health supplements.

I could buy, for a price, everything on my list, including oat milk and tomato sauce, except for flour (but they had like seventeen gluten free types). Friends later contacted me and are ordering flour from a a MILL, would I like to get a ten pound bag with them and then the shipping is free, I said, why the fuck not

by Anonymousreply 94April 1, 2020 3:09 AM

There is a chain of stores named Essen in NYC - wonder if it’s the same owner. Odd.

by Anonymousreply 95April 1, 2020 3:56 AM

I always wondered in Essene was for S & E, perhaps the store owner's initials.

by Anonymousreply 96April 1, 2020 5:07 AM

I believe Essene was named for the ancient Jewish sect. The store WAS a lot hippier/funkier when it was in its original location on South Street. When I first saw it, I thought it was pronounced ESS-an-ee, and not as it should be, ess-EEN.

Have to go pick up my taxes today, it involves a 1.5 mile walk. Just finished breakfast(sausage and eggs) and I am in the mood to locomote. No rain in the forecast(Hooray!)

Still making face masks, have already gone through a pink/red and yellow/brown color scheme, plus some flag fabrics, today it'll be blue and green.

by Anonymousreply 97April 1, 2020 12:17 PM

I have a dull pain in my lower right chest area...hopefully it’s nothing.

I love the organic store they opened behind the Target/CVS on Broad and Carpenter.

by Anonymousreply 98April 1, 2020 12:25 PM

it's called sprouts and it's a big chain out west. it's a great use of the old railway station. but WAY too many crazy white people there now.

R97. can I buy one of your masks? I need one and I'm the opposite of crafty

by Anonymousreply 99April 1, 2020 1:48 PM

Some graphs for PA counties.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100April 1, 2020 4:53 PM

Snoop: I never sell 'em, you are welcome to take one. I gave away 6 on my walks today(have racked up 7.5 miles) Whew!

by Anonymousreply 101April 1, 2020 8:27 PM

I’ll meet youse in a park, I’ll be wearing a “cheryl” name tag

by Anonymousreply 102April 2, 2020 2:52 AM

Snoop: You available today? I can meet you at the fountain, if that's close to you?

by Anonymousreply 103April 2, 2020 3:45 PM

close enough

by Anonymousreply 104April 2, 2020 5:07 PM

close enough, I'm just north of washington

by Anonymousreply 105April 2, 2020 5:15 PM

Snoop: I will be walking North with a friend, what say we meet at 12th and Washington @ 3:00P.M.?

Wear a red carnation, so I'll know it's you. Am old cliche, but a good one.

by Anonymousreply 106April 3, 2020 4:30 PM

Philadelphia Inquirer:

An elderly, well dressed gentleman was found bludgeoned in a local park this morning, a solitary red carnation laying across his blue lips. A jogger discovered the body, stating, “I had seen him here before usually at night cruising for cock in the bushes. I guess coming out in the daylight was too risky for him”. If anyone has any information, please contact Cheryl.

by Anonymousreply 107April 3, 2020 4:59 PM

Snoop: Make it a pink one instead.

by Anonymousreply 108April 3, 2020 5:07 PM

R107 - reminds me of the old days in Philly. Lots of well dressed, seemingly respectable elderly men with good manners and concerned with keeping up appearances. But a thriving bathhouse and cruising scene where they all got their rocks off.

by Anonymousreply 109April 3, 2020 5:09 PM

Does anyone of a certain age remember the murder of John Knight lll in Rittenhouse Square? During the murder investigation it was discovered that he had sev

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110April 3, 2020 5:37 PM

Several gay hookups....freaking iPad.

by Anonymousreply 111April 3, 2020 5:38 PM

Don’t remember John Knight. But remember crazy “Uncle Eddie” from Rittenhouse who had teens come over and shit on him for years. Had acquaintances who did - he was well known in 80s Philly.

by Anonymousreply 112April 3, 2020 5:41 PM

I don't have anything pink or red. But Ill be out at 12th and wash at 3PM

by Anonymousreply 113April 3, 2020 5:42 PM

See you then, Snoop.

r110/r111 I worked with 2 guys who had been regulars of Uncle Ed when they were in their teens. He was always good for some cash, or a new pair of sneakers. Evidently my friends' families never questioned where the cash or sneakers came from. A freebie is a freebie.

by Anonymousreply 114April 3, 2020 5:54 PM

Ah - simpler times

by Anonymousreply 115April 3, 2020 5:59 PM

Bronzie. I’ll have a paper towel face mask on

by Anonymousreply 116April 3, 2020 6:36 PM

You can use it as a filter with the one I gave you. It was a pleasure to meet you, btw. I've learned masks are encouraged now, which leads me to believe that they will become mandatory before too long. So, as my grandmother used to say: "Wear it in good health!"

by Anonymousreply 117April 3, 2020 8:57 PM

Lynne Abraham was out for Uncle Ed’s blood. She turned him into a whipping boy for the conservative heterosexual population of Philadelphia. She is a closeted cunt.

by Anonymousreply 118April 3, 2020 10:24 PM

Angie Dickinson was hot:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119April 3, 2020 10:39 PM

R117

So bronze-aged mister turned out to be a good-medal winning mensch. He and his lovely companion, “Olivia” both arrived masked and lovely and he had to offer an array of delightful colors and designs for me to pick from. I couldn’t thank him enough. We need more bronzies

by Anonymousreply 120April 4, 2020 12:03 AM

Ugh, gold-medal winning.

by Anonymousreply 121April 4, 2020 2:11 AM

Sorry, wrong thread...

by Anonymousreply 122April 4, 2020 4:57 AM

We thought so

by Anonymousreply 123April 4, 2020 11:19 AM

very very quiet now. I always thought that philly would do a quarantine well

by Anonymousreply 124April 5, 2020 10:37 PM

It’s so quiet in South Philadelphia right now, even for a Sunday.

by Anonymousreply 125April 5, 2020 11:25 PM

Took a nice long walk South on Broad Street this afternoon. Saw maybe 50 people, most without masks, and some who did have them tucked them under their chins.

About 50% maintained the proper social distance. I did notice that as I would walk along and there was someone headed towards me, they wouldn't even attempt to maintain a proper distance, so it was up to me to do it. Lots of crossing the street, standing in between parked cars or making a sharp left or right turn so I wouldn't be too close to them. Look ahead people! If I can see you, why can't you see me?

I'm still afraid to order food in, and I've been jonesing for pizza all week. Am I being overly-cautious?

by Anonymousreply 126April 6, 2020 1:02 AM

R126 Order from Rex's. Worth it.

by Anonymousreply 127April 6, 2020 1:43 AM

r126, we are being encouraged to order take out, Bronzie. and yes. it's safe enough. just wash your hands.

by Anonymousreply 128April 6, 2020 3:15 AM

brace ourselves for a rough week ahead.

by Anonymousreply 129April 9, 2020 9:47 PM

I actually ordered a hamburger from MCCormick & Schmidt’s yesterday. Pricey but worth it.

by Anonymousreply 130April 10, 2020 12:20 AM

oy. you must live in CC

by Anonymousreply 131April 10, 2020 3:14 AM

dare I say, people seem to be taking stock in social distancing in public places finally. . . .

by Anonymousreply 132April 17, 2020 2:20 PM

Philly is doing ok. Hospitals are hitting peak - worse in poorer areas - like Temple. We definitely avoided the worst of it li - like NYC. Hopefully by May 15, we can start opening a little.

by Anonymousreply 133April 17, 2020 2:45 PM

that's my thought too. the timing of "meds and Eds" - schools letting out early and hospitals going full gear - has helped.

by Anonymousreply 134April 17, 2020 2:55 PM

I’m able to get most of the stuff I need food wise...I have enough TP, household cleaners and face masks. Those things are hard to breathe in. I was even able to find a five pound bag of flour! So I am set. I’m on my third week of waiting for my job to get me telework connectivity...they’re working on it but it bugs me that I can’t catch up on my work.

by Anonymousreply 135April 17, 2020 4:22 PM

R131 I live in South Philadelphia.

by Anonymousreply 136April 17, 2020 4:23 PM

wow, BIG SPENDER

by Anonymousreply 137April 17, 2020 5:32 PM

Just got in from my walk, and glad I beat the rain we're supposed to have this afternoon.

Making up a shopping list for this coming Wednesday, don't need much, but am low on fresh fruits and veggies.

A friend sent me the name of a group that will pick up homemade face masks and distribute them to places that have requested them, they are supposed to come today.

Have had my two meals for day, time to brush and floss so I'm not tempted to snack tonight.

I heard that Ruth Chris Steak House company will be getting a 20 million dollar check as part of the stimulus package. Sounds about right.

by Anonymousreply 138April 17, 2020 6:19 PM

very good on you, bronzie

and ridiculous about ruth's chris. they better be giving out free bread pudding to ever single lesbian if that's true

by Anonymousreply 139April 17, 2020 6:55 PM

been trying to call the liquor store for a curbside pick up all week, the lines are completely busy

by Anonymousreply 140April 24, 2020 2:42 PM

It’s about time they reopened. Alcoholics going through withdrawal all over Philly. But given how shoddy service was in the best of times - thanks monopoly - I expect it to be a nightmare.

The way Wolf is talking, bars ain’t opening for a looong time. Hope they are able to stay open. I bet Bar X closes - they were barely hanging on.

by Anonymousreply 141April 24, 2020 2:54 PM

Agreed they need to reopen. Online was a joke and seems like ordering by phone isn't much better. But can you IMAGINE the horrible mob scenes that'll be going on during the first few weeks they open?

Find a local distiller within the state and they can ship direct to any address in PA. You'll get your booze and help prop up a local business.

by Anonymousreply 142April 24, 2020 3:03 PM

I FINALLY got through, but I rang like three places over and over, at least six times each. got a nice young man on the phone who took my order, then he calls me back when the order is "put together". you pay over the phone and then schedule a pick up time, very professionally done

by Anonymousreply 143April 24, 2020 3:03 PM

[quote]Hope they are able to stay open. I bet Bar X closes - they were barely hanging on.

I know, I've been "tipping" a bartender there on venmo, I feel bad, he's a great barman and is essentially out of work until, well, forever .

by Anonymousreply 144April 24, 2020 3:04 PM

Yesterday I went to the Acme on Passayunk and had to wait in line, six feet from the person in front of me. A fifteen minute wait. At least I was able to get everything that I wanted.

by Anonymousreply 145April 24, 2020 3:40 PM

not that bad

by Anonymousreply 146April 24, 2020 3:48 PM

I was wondering is there was a way to support bartenders virtually. A lot of those guys must be hurting.

by Anonymousreply 147April 24, 2020 4:04 PM

yeah, there is a Queerentine venmo push, look it up

by Anonymousreply 148April 24, 2020 8:24 PM

R145 I had to choose between waiting in line at an Acme or the Whole Foods on South St., so I chose Whole Foods since I hadn't been in there for a few months. I had to wait about 10 minutes and when I got in the store was almost empty of customers.

by Anonymousreply 149April 24, 2020 8:27 PM

R147 they should sign up for OnlyFans!

by Anonymousreply 150April 24, 2020 11:20 PM

R149, they are taking social distancing very seriously.

by Anonymousreply 151April 25, 2020 1:35 AM

R151 that's social ostracism

by Anonymousreply 152April 25, 2020 2:21 AM

no, just being sensible

by Anonymousreply 153April 25, 2020 3:10 AM

Someone else probably knows better: which parts of Philly are going through NYC-style convulsions and deaths?

We've been talking about our dip into the abyss for about 5 weeks now. But I haven't actually seen it in my area of Philly. I'm also ignoring most news at this point too, so it's entirely possible the Inquirer has an update about our descent into corona chaos.

by Anonymousreply 154April 28, 2020 3:04 AM

near UNI City is the highest hit, but that could be reflecting more testing

by Anonymousreply 155April 28, 2020 12:40 PM

r154, ignoring the news isn't advisable

by Anonymousreply 156April 28, 2020 12:41 PM

Doing OK. Had a nice walk this evening, it was great that the rains disappeared from the forecast. Tomorrow is supposed to be an even better day.

Have heard that Termini's Bakery will re-open, as well as the Penrose Diner. Anybody up for a sfogliatelle and some SOS?

Mask making continues apace, never kept count but it's probably over 300 by now. I'm pleased to see so many people wearing masks when I am out walking. Keep it up, guys. Literally and figuratively.

by Anonymousreply 157May 2, 2020 12:14 AM

I might go on a walk myself, Bronzie. gets my eyes off a screen for a bit at least.

Bronzie, isgro's has been open the whole time. check them out, though they are farther north.

and thanks again for the mask, very handy.

sorry to hear that we are to shelter in place for twenty more days, but better safe than sorry

by Anonymousreply 158May 2, 2020 11:28 AM

I hear you, Snoop. They can open up whatever they want, I will continue to quarantine and protect myself as much as possible, like I've been doing all along.

I'd have thought people would've gotten used to all the restrictions by now? I'm sad to see that this is not the case. It's been several weeks or a few months for us now, why are we willing to throw it all away, and possibly revert to Square 1?

by Anonymousreply 159May 2, 2020 4:25 PM

R159 We're likely to reopen sooner here in Pittsburgh and it's ridiculous. NO ONE will understand or care about the distinctions between the State's Red/Yellow/Green phases, they'll just take it as license to run riot. I'd better see some heavy enforcement of mask-wearing rules. (As if.)

Every time I think I'm starting to like Wolf even a little, he goes and shows his true corporate-dick-sucking face again.

by Anonymousreply 160May 2, 2020 4:36 PM

People are going to crack this weekend. After being helped by crappy weather for the past 7 weeks, the first nice weekend is going to mean people go outside. Not ideal but understandable. And it will get harder and harder to maintain quarantine as it gets warmer.

by Anonymousreply 161May 2, 2020 4:49 PM

Ymmmm this thread makes me want a cheesesteak and soft pretzel and some water ice.

Make that a wuder ice. Lemon please!

by Anonymousreply 162May 2, 2020 5:05 PM

Looking forward to frozen drinks on the upper deck at Tabu. What are the chances of a Memorial Day opening?

by Anonymousreply 163May 2, 2020 5:28 PM

none, not a single chance.

six weeks after the 24th of may at the very earliest, dear. I know, super boring, I like drinks on the deck too, but not any time soon

by Anonymousreply 164May 2, 2020 5:37 PM

I’m going back to work Friday. Maybe earlier. Can’t stand staying at home like this...being forced to because of health issues. The governor is starting to open up thing on 8 May, so I am too.

by Anonymousreply 165May 2, 2020 5:48 PM

That’s specific Philly Snoop - bummer. July 4 is a long time away. Ugh. Can’t they open on the alley behind or something - lol.

by Anonymousreply 166May 2, 2020 6:25 PM

philly county is shut down until the 24th, if numbers continue to go down after that then taverns and restaurants may reopen up to six weeks after that point

by Anonymousreply 167May 3, 2020 1:36 PM

r166, a vaccine is a LOT farther away than that, and until then quarantine is best

by Anonymousreply 168May 3, 2020 1:36 PM

Trying to keep myself from going to Insomnia Cookie Shop...it’s only three blocks from my house. Tempting. But 370 calories per cookie.

by Anonymousreply 169May 3, 2020 2:34 PM

EAT!

by Anonymousreply 170May 3, 2020 2:36 PM

I've been trying to get through to a liquor store on the phone for three days now and nothing but busy signals.

#PAProblems

by Anonymousreply 171May 4, 2020 3:05 PM

Time to end the absurd antediluvian liquor system in PA. It’s obscene that this BS is still in place.

by Anonymousreply 172May 4, 2020 3:20 PM

R171, just keep calling, it indeed took me like three days to get through.

by Anonymousreply 173May 4, 2020 3:22 PM

R173 Holy shit! While I was trying to call, my partner finally got through on the website for online ordering!

by Anonymousreply 174May 4, 2020 4:13 PM

You know you can buy alcohol almost everywhere else in Pennsylvania, right? It’s just the liquor…

And since when would someone on datalounge want to lick her?

by Anonymousreply 175May 4, 2020 4:16 PM

I love a cocktail

by Anonymousreply 176May 4, 2020 6:04 PM

I have no interest in drinking at home. I want my gay bars. Why can’t they just make Camac St outside Tavern and U Bar into an outdoor bar - like during Outfest. Or between Camac and 12th next to Tabu. Or outside Writers Block.

Frankford Hall should be open. Or Spruce Street Harbor Park.

by Anonymousreply 177May 4, 2020 6:24 PM

because of social distancing

by Anonymousreply 178May 4, 2020 6:32 PM

The restaurant owners want the city to relax sidewalk seating rules, but since 90% of the restaurants in Center City never followed the rules before I don't see how that would make a difference.

by Anonymousreply 179May 4, 2020 6:41 PM

sidewalk dining like at caribou cafe is one thing, but crowded gay bars four deep at the bar are another. that's what R177 is interested in

by Anonymousreply 180May 4, 2020 7:01 PM

well THIS has brightened my day, that Old cunt is finally gone. Surely they can find some other old italian guy to throw up on that wall

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181June 7, 2020 12:35 PM

Rubbing alcohol is still difficult to find. But at least I don’t have to stand in line outside the Acme.

by Anonymousreply 182June 7, 2020 12:44 PM

banged up pretty good from the police?

by Anonymousreply 183June 7, 2020 1:03 PM

It would be interesting if Google Streetview drove through Center City in the aftermath, just for history's sake. Recently I was looking through blocks of Brewerytown, noting the changes.

by Anonymousreply 184June 7, 2020 2:27 PM

Doing well. Haven't relaxed any of my own restrictions, they're certainly second-nature to me now, like breathing out and breathing in.....

Glad to see the supermarkets are better stocked on paper and cleaning products. Still no rubbing alcohol though. Shop-Rite had large bottles of hand sanitizer, in what looked like plastic liquor bottles. It's 80% alcohol, which is above the recommended number. The viscosity is like water, so I used some of it to make my home-made bathroom tile and shower spray. Trader Joe's was FULLY stocked, bless them for seniors only shopping time, at the beginning of each day.

Mask use is over 90%, which is heartening to see when I am out for my daily walks.

My stitching buddies and I ZOOM for 2 hours each Sunday, it's most enjoyable and will have to do until we consider it safe enough to actually meet up again.

I want to wish you all continued good health, compassion, senses of humor and light hearts. Hang in there, children, you've been doing great so far.

by Anonymousreply 185June 7, 2020 4:47 PM

But I want my crepe brûlée.

by Anonymousreply 186June 7, 2020 4:49 PM

CREME brûlée 😡 damn autocorrect!

by Anonymousreply 187June 7, 2020 4:50 PM

you're a fat whore, that's why

by Anonymousreply 188June 7, 2020 5:17 PM

[quote]I want to wish you all continued good health, compassion, senses of humor and light hearts. Hang in there, children, you've been doing great so far.

thanks, my friends who protested noted that everyone wore masks, but they noted that there was nearly no social distancing. scared of what two weeks from today will look like

by Anonymousreply 189June 7, 2020 5:18 PM

r186/r187 Actually, a crepe Creme Brûlée sounds pretty good.

by Anonymousreply 190June 8, 2020 2:17 PM

lots of storms and rain

by Anonymousreply 191July 6, 2020 5:38 PM

Well, there is this...

Black man shouts at people not observing social distancing. White man pulls gun on him. Two women stand in between the two to keep the white guy from shooting the black one. Everything seems to back to normal in Philly.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192July 7, 2020 2:43 AM

That’s just disgusting.

by Anonymousreply 193July 7, 2020 12:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!