Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Los Angeles, How You Doing?

Post any updates or first hand experiences about Covid-19 related stuff, including lock down.

by Anonymousreply 576May 28, 2020 4:38 PM

Fine but so many are not home isolating. I had to drive two different freeways and there were tons of drivers.

by Anonymousreply 1March 22, 2020 3:52 AM

R1, agreed. At this point, I am all for cops giving people tickets for non-essential coming and going. Whatever it takes to keep people home!

by Anonymousreply 2March 22, 2020 3:54 AM

How can they prove someone isn't going to get groceries or gas?

by Anonymousreply 3March 22, 2020 3:57 AM

Will add to the chorus above.

In a Westside area, and went to our local beachfront to observe the sunset from the bubble of our car.

There were heaps of folks walking on the beach footpath: some so close to one another as the passed in opposite directions, they almost touched each other.

Having frequented this area many times, it seemed like an average evening. You would not know there was a #SaferAtHome quarantine in place by Eric Garcetti.

by Anonymousreply 4March 22, 2020 4:02 AM

People still walking their dogs in West Hollywood.

by Anonymousreply 5March 22, 2020 4:31 AM

On the news they showed TONS of people at the beach. Also playing volleyball and basketball. Ridic!

by Anonymousreply 6March 22, 2020 4:56 AM

People still think the pandemic is way overblown. They won't take it seriously until friends and relatives get sick and die.

by Anonymousreply 7March 22, 2020 5:08 AM

A country infested with fucktard assholes!

by Anonymousreply 8March 22, 2020 5:16 AM

Who the fuck cares? There are other cities in the United States.

by Anonymousreply 9March 22, 2020 5:24 AM

R9 Your mom's cunt is as big n wide as both New York and LA.

by Anonymousreply 10March 22, 2020 5:27 AM

Costco and Wal-Mart line ups : ground zero for the corona virus during the toilet paper wars.

That horse is already out of the barn.

by Anonymousreply 11March 22, 2020 5:41 AM

[quote]Fine but so many are not home isolating. I had to drive two different freeways and there were tons of drivers.

I’m sure the other drivers also noted that the other drivers were not home isolating.

by Anonymousreply 12March 22, 2020 5:43 AM

Oh and I'm also a nursing home rapist.

by Anonymousreply 13March 22, 2020 5:48 AM

R13 = R1 masquerading as R12. TRIGGERED?

by Anonymousreply 14March 22, 2020 6:02 AM

God you're a dumbass r14. Your parents must be proud. THINK about what I wrote. Figure it out, genus. SHEEEEESH!

by Anonymousreply 15March 22, 2020 6:04 AM

You must be new here, r14. DUUUUHHHHH!!!!

by Anonymousreply 16March 22, 2020 6:05 AM

Genus?

by Anonymousreply 17March 22, 2020 6:05 AM

I went to a Westside Ralph’s this evening and there was a one hour line to get in. I drove home - fuck, I’ll starve.

by Anonymousreply 18March 22, 2020 6:05 AM

Genius.

by Anonymousreply 19March 22, 2020 6:06 AM

Oh and I wipe back to front and then eat it.

by Anonymousreply 20March 22, 2020 6:07 AM

R1, R15 et al. must be Trump or Ellen DeGeneres. Epic narcissistic meltdown.

by Anonymousreply 21March 22, 2020 6:10 AM

Weak, r21. Not everything is about that orange piece of shit. Only fucktard like you can't come up with something better.

by Anonymousreply 22March 22, 2020 6:12 AM

R21 is the Sherlock for retards.

by Anonymousreply 23March 22, 2020 6:14 AM

R18, I've heard of some stores doing that, and yeah, that's a real winner of a strategy -- making people line up just to get inside the store. Somehow I'm doubting that those people in line were all six feet apart.

by Anonymousreply 24March 22, 2020 6:15 AM

Lainie Kazan was just arrested for stealing the last roll of Angel Soft Fresh Lavender Scent Bath Tissue at Gelson's in the Valley.

by Anonymousreply 25March 22, 2020 6:19 AM

Geez R1/R22 it was only a JOKE. But Angelenos do have a reputation for being self-centered, so I guess it resonated with you big time.

by Anonymousreply 26March 22, 2020 6:20 AM

R26, do you walk upright?

by Anonymousreply 27March 22, 2020 6:22 AM

I live in Los Angeles and I"m ashamed of the way you people are behaving on this thread. Fucking idiots.

by Anonymousreply 28March 22, 2020 6:26 AM

The hardware stores in L.A. were super-crowded today. I had to wait a half hour to get my paint mixed because so many people were not observing self-quarantine!

by Anonymousreply 29March 22, 2020 6:30 AM

Stayed home all day and got Jon and Vinny’s from DoorDash. Took as long as it always does even though no one is eating there, but whatever. Totally survivable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 22, 2020 6:32 AM

At least the rain will help with the drought.

by Anonymousreply 31March 22, 2020 6:38 AM

I went to Ralph's the other day, but they were limiting access and there was a line to get in. Not too long a line, so I waited for awhile, but people were getting too close to me, and one lady in front of me kept chatting about her shopping experiences.

So I left and went to the Rite Aid next door, which wasn't limiting access. They barely had any food on the shelves, so iI grabbed dog food for my dogs, cans of soup, and two bags of chips. There were two long checkout lines, and several guys in line buying single cases of beer. Really now. During a pandemic all they need is cerveza.

by Anonymousreply 32March 22, 2020 6:40 AM

Funny how the 99 cent stores were overlooked... some of them even had TP (as of yesterday.)

by Anonymousreply 33March 22, 2020 6:44 AM

R32 Like I mentioned, Jon and Vinny’s is entirely available on DoorDash. Never wait in line for Ralphs.

by Anonymousreply 34March 22, 2020 6:57 AM

I'm not sure I want other people preparing my food during a pandemic.

by Anonymousreply 35March 22, 2020 7:01 AM

Not terrible. No one I know has been infected (yet) and working from home is nice. I try to go for a walk at least every other day. Very few people around when I do. R33 is right. Everyone is piling onto Ralph's, Whole Foods, etc and ignoring the Mom and Pop shops. I went to the local mini mart in my neighborhood and they had toilet paper and cleaning products.

by Anonymousreply 36March 22, 2020 7:05 AM

Meanwhile, 1600 dead in two days in Italy. And there at their 3rd week of quarantine.

by Anonymousreply 37March 22, 2020 7:06 AM

they're

by Anonymousreply 38March 22, 2020 7:06 AM

[quote]No one I know has been infected (yet) and working from home is nice.

How would you or they know? Isn't testing still hard to come by?

by Anonymousreply 39March 22, 2020 7:31 AM

[quote]At this point, I am all for cops giving people tickets for non-essential coming and going.

A friend of mine told me that this happened to her husband today. Her husband is an idiot asshole who does whatever he wants on a normal day, so it's no surprise that he insists on still being able to gather with his friends and hang out.

Apparently they were just hanging out on a street and smoking and a police officer gave them a citation for it.

by Anonymousreply 40March 22, 2020 7:32 AM

LA adjacent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 22, 2020 7:44 AM

I wonder if it’s OK just to drive around a little bit aimlessly. I don’t like to let my car sit more than a few days without driving it. It’s not good for it either.

by Anonymousreply 42March 22, 2020 8:10 AM

I am down in Long Beach, still LA county. It's more laid back than Hollywood area. No one I know is sick. All the gay bars are boarded up for the long hall. Went for a walk on the beach, except for one small group of black guys playing basket ball, everyone else was keeping their distance and then some. Walking, jogging, bikes, some cute guys with masks but no large groups from what I saw. Nothing like Florida. No family groups really either. Best thing I saw was a guy on his balcony facing the ocean and the bike path playing his piano for passers by. It was really kind of an uplifting treat.

Conversely, people in West Hollywood, Brentwood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica area are all self entitled assholes who have too much money, think they are special, think nothing should stop them from doing what they want to do so they are out in bigger groups and no surprises the biggest outbreak is in that area of West Hollywood. Even the mayor of WeHo tested positive.

by Anonymousreply 43March 22, 2020 10:24 AM

I'm doing all my grocery shopping online --either for store pick up or delivery. On the pickup trips, traffic has been just as heavy as always. Crazy. I haven't ventured out or entered any stores or businesses at all, so I can't speak to that.

by Anonymousreply 44March 22, 2020 10:25 AM

I hope the pandemic clears up the smog.

by Anonymousreply 45March 22, 2020 11:16 AM

I noticed seagulls coming really far inland than normal which is usually just the beach. Air is cleaner, few people and cars. Maybe more food? It's a nice change, they are nice looking birds, not nasty like pigeons.

by Anonymousreply 46March 22, 2020 11:53 AM

Arrgh thanks for reminding me r42, I have to turn off the search key function on my car so the battery doesn't drain.

Found a giant grasshopper on my packaging refuse yesterday morning- I'm in West Hollywood:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 22, 2020 4:09 PM

Seems like LA should have it easier than NYC. Cars are safe. Houses and apartments are bigger and more spread out. Beaches provide wide open spaces for fresh air. I would definitely go to the beach if I was in LA. Standing at the oceans edge more than 6 feet apart is safe.

by Anonymousreply 48March 22, 2020 4:22 PM

I really want to drive to the top of Hollywood Hills at night and see the panorama.

by Anonymousreply 49March 22, 2020 4:24 PM

GOOOOOOOOD!

Where I am there've only been 5 cases so far. Things aren't bad all over Southern California, and you can tell who's playing it safe by the map of numbers.

by Anonymousreply 50March 22, 2020 4:25 PM

[quote]Found a giant grasshopper on my packaging refuse yesterday morning- I'm in West Hollywood:

Nature's benefiting HARDCORE from our absence. I LOVE IT!

by Anonymousreply 51March 22, 2020 4:25 PM

[quote] Nothing like Florida. No family groups really either. Best thing I saw was a guy on his balcony facing the ocean and the bike path playing his piano for passers by. It was really kind of an uplifting treat.

Fuck I love us! Seriously! Look around at how various locations around America are handling this. You can see which cities may have a brighter future than others. We're ultimately lucky to live where we live, because we're taking things more seriously than they are elsewhere, which increases our chances of survival.

by Anonymousreply 52March 22, 2020 4:27 PM

[quote]I noticed seagulls coming really far inland than normal which is usually just the beach.

They're likely taking advantage of their newfound freedom. For whatever reason, there are less scary bipeds lumbering about, which means more nature for them! They get to come back home.

by Anonymousreply 53March 22, 2020 4:28 PM

[quote]Funny how the 99 cent stores were overlooked... some of them even had TP (as of yesterday.)

I've been observing the way class expresses itself across Southern California. Apparently the Food4Less quite literally across the street from my house had the BEST selection of necessities in my county. The bigger names in bigger cities have less stuff. Class matters, people. Don't underestimate this.

It doesn't surprise me 99 cent stores were overlooked. I'd argue that the middle to underclass, depending on where they are and how smart they're being, have an increased chance of survival. The only issue is making sure they don't go to church. That's a huge threat worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 54March 22, 2020 4:30 PM

R54 - they have a larger chance of survival because they go to dollar stores? There's no indication that we have food shortages - there has just been a run on items the past 2 weeks and everyone is cooking all their meals at home.

The poor, who don't have good insurance or are fearful of medical bills, will be less likely to go to the hospital. And they have a larger percentage of existing health conditions.

The current availability of some products at a dollar store does not mean poor people will prevail - at all.

by Anonymousreply 55March 22, 2020 4:35 PM

Two people I work with have tested positive. It's real.

by Anonymousreply 56March 22, 2020 4:36 PM

Where do you work, r56?

by Anonymousreply 57March 22, 2020 4:38 PM

[quote]The poor, who don't have good insurance or are fearful of medical bills, will be less likely to go to the hospital. And they have a larger percentage of existing health conditions. ... The current availability of some products at a dollar store does not mean poor people will prevail - at all.

Alright everyone. Notice how I never said poor? I mentioned middle and underclass. But this dude conflated that nuanced, vast group of people with "poor". I won't argue with him because it'd be a waste of my time, but realize when people fundamentally misunderstand your points.

by Anonymousreply 58March 22, 2020 4:38 PM

R56 Yeah, where do you work? What's your profession, and whereabouts in SoCal were the two infected roaming?

by Anonymousreply 59March 22, 2020 4:39 PM

Fakers. All fakes. Anyone who truly lives in Los Angeles would know that there is no apostrophe in Ralphs (the store).

by Anonymousreply 60March 22, 2020 4:41 PM

[quote]Found a giant grasshopper on my packaging refuse yesterday morning- I'm in West Hollywood:

OMG! It's a plague of locusts!

by Anonymousreply 61March 22, 2020 4:41 PM

That looks so good R30.

by Anonymousreply 62March 22, 2020 4:42 PM

New orders: Drive-in movies, nail and hair salons, golf courses, indoor/outdoor swap meets -- all must close. No gatherings AT ALL - not just of more than 10 people. It's getting serious. (Probably because so many people are flouting the rules.)

by Anonymousreply 63March 22, 2020 5:04 PM

R43, good description. I used to live in West Hollywood, now I'm in the midwest. Long Beach is the only other "LA" area I would move back to (also thinking about Palm Springs). When I visited Long Beach last year it was quieter and cleaner than I expected.

by Anonymousreply 64March 22, 2020 5:56 PM

I noticed a lot fewer spam calls. That's a plus.

by Anonymousreply 65March 22, 2020 6:20 PM

r61, That fucking thing was 5" long.

by Anonymousreply 66March 22, 2020 6:37 PM

I'm making extra money delivering groceries (have tons of gloves, masks and Purell - I stocked up early!) after I get a temporary lay off from my real job. I totally disagree with those saying that tons of people are driving. The roads are near empty! What would normally take me 40 minutes to get from Point A to B is taking about 10 minutes. I'm loving it!

by Anonymousreply 67March 22, 2020 6:50 PM

[quoute]Where I am there've only been 5 cases so far.

Five identified cases.

No one's being tested so you can't tell how many people are actually infected.

by Anonymousreply 68March 22, 2020 7:00 PM

I've never been happier not to be a twink and live in Weho

by Anonymousreply 69March 22, 2020 8:02 PM

[quote]I noticed a lot fewer spam calls. That's a plus.

I noticed that too! I love it! Isn't that funny? Humans are the fucking parasites. Who knew a plague would shut so many annoying people up!

by Anonymousreply 70March 22, 2020 8:03 PM

The entertainment community - especially those who work in news gathering - will be hit hard with the virus, because they’ve been traveling or working with people from Europe and China. I think our quarantine came a bit too late... in a week or two it will be bedlam.

by Anonymousreply 71March 22, 2020 8:11 PM

Weather-wise, today is possibly the most beautiful spring day of the year thus far.

by Anonymousreply 72March 22, 2020 8:22 PM

Long Beach here, too. I grocery shop every Sunday at Ralphs at the same time with the same 20-25 regulars. Two weeks ago, absolutely normal. Last Sunday, I did not recognize a soul, except the employees. They were sold out of all: milk, bread, fresh produce, fresh meat and seafood, water (including distilled), soaps and detergents, toilet paper, paper towels, wipes, diapers, pasta, pasta sauces, rice, fresh produce, frozen meat and seafood, and probably other stuff. I bought five items and got out of there. As with most chain stores, a lot of shelves are stocked not by store employees, but by distributors, so it was not really Ralphs' fault.

Today was somewhat back to normal. The only things that were missing on the shelves were paper towels, toilet paper, and rice. And some of the usual crowd were there, too. I was happy to see things calmed down.

by Anonymousreply 73March 22, 2020 8:28 PM

[quote]I think our quarantine came a bit too late...

Under-fucking-statement.

by Anonymousreply 74March 22, 2020 9:47 PM

I went to 7-11 this afternoon to pick up a paper for my dad. There was a homeless person outside begging for change, the cashier had a long, bushy beard that looked like it was harvesting bacterial growth, and there were 2 gym bunnies at the counter, yapping and laughing, likely spraying the counter with saliva. I turned and walked out. Maybe I'm being paranoid, but these people's lackadaisical attitudes are going to be the death of me.

by Anonymousreply 75March 22, 2020 11:50 PM

City of Santa Monica closed their beach parking lots and took down the volleyball nets to discourage people from coming. There were too many people there yesterday despite the shutdown.

R72, You spoke too soon. Now it's raining.

by Anonymousreply 76March 22, 2020 11:57 PM

L.A. County strengthens coronavirus bans...times are changing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 23, 2020 12:02 AM

R76, correct. I jinxed the perfect weather, but even this rain is not a bad thing as our region is always parched and in a constant tug-of-war with drought.

by Anonymousreply 78March 23, 2020 12:03 AM

R48, the beaches have been packed. There are no "wide, open spaces" there.

[quote]People still walking their dogs in West Hollywood.

We're allowed to walk dogs, bike, jog, etc. What we aren't allowed to do is gather close together.

by Anonymousreply 79March 23, 2020 12:14 AM

Maybe the rain is here to force Angelenos to stay inside. 99% of LA [italic]hates[/italic] being outside in the rain!

by Anonymousreply 80March 23, 2020 12:16 AM

[quote]Things aren't bad all over Southern California, and you can tell who's playing it safe by the map of numbers.

Walk into a hosiptal and then tell us that. My friend is doing blood draws at Valley hospitals and several of them have full ICUs now, with military guards. Oliveview and West Hills Hospital were the last 2 he worked at, both staffed with National Guard units. He texted me that he was scared and is just now realizing it's real.

by Anonymousreply 81March 23, 2020 12:23 AM

[quote]Walk into a hosiptal and then tell us that.

Yeah, those aren't the places in SoCal I'm thinking of. California's large. Anyway, I know hospitals are bad. They're one of the many battlegrounds.

[quote]but even this rain is not a bad thing as our region is always parched and in a constant tug-of-war with drought.

[quote]Maybe the rain is here to force Angelenos to stay inside. 99% of LA hates being outside in the rain!

Notice how long the rain's been here. It'd been sunny all day and just right now it started drizzling, but I've been watching the clouds roll in. I love overcast weather. It's always made me feel cozy. We've had this rain for over a week, which makes sense seasonally, but this coupled with the fact that we're all indoors... nature's seriously healing itself. Ridding itself of the real virus that is humanity. We fucking suck... seriously, we're goddamn fools, and the people who survive this will be the ones who were smart enough to see the tidal wave coming.

I do hope our scientists are making enough headway.

by Anonymousreply 82March 23, 2020 1:32 AM

My dog is such a wuss. I don’t know why she hates walking in the rain. At first she resists and then she seems to tolerate it. I bought her a raincoat but she doesn’t like to wear it. I think it’s good for her to get out of the house as well.

by Anonymousreply 83March 23, 2020 5:37 AM

Hollywood is lonely.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 23, 2020 6:20 AM

For us soaking Californians:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85March 23, 2020 6:27 AM

The rain will actually keep people indoor in LA all week, so at least there is that.

by Anonymousreply 86March 23, 2020 7:38 AM

What happens to all the superheroes?

by Anonymousreply 87March 23, 2020 9:05 AM

everyone in ca is going to get this virus because of the toilet paper problem.

by Anonymousreply 88March 23, 2020 9:25 AM

If people don't start using social distancing, they're going to put us on full lockdown rather than the current safer-at-home order.

Eric Garcetti tightened the restrictions on Sunday night since so many people went to the beach or went hiking and ignored social distancing. He'll tighten the restrictions even more if necessary.

by Anonymousreply 89March 23, 2020 11:48 AM

It won't get real till people see the "bring out your dead" carts in the streets.

by Anonymousreply 90March 23, 2020 11:56 AM

They'll be super sophisticated too with our scary big black modern vehicles. It'll look even more like Children of Men.

I've been inside and am fine. Good luck everyone who's like, "It's just a little COVID, what's the deal?!"

by Anonymousreply 91March 23, 2020 4:51 PM

Dammit, Tartine bakery cancelled my delivery. No delicious Oatmeal porridge bread.

by Anonymousreply 92March 23, 2020 4:53 PM

They were all at the beach this past weekend. And lining up outside grocery stores that were following the law allowing only 50 people in at a time but they were all bunched up about 1 feet apart on the lines.

by Anonymousreply 93March 23, 2020 5:00 PM

[quote]They were all at the beach this past weekend. And lining up outside grocery stores

And they'll suffer the consequences should they face them. They clearly don't care about their lives or the lives of others. Well fuck them too, lol.

by Anonymousreply 94March 23, 2020 5:03 PM

NO grocery stores in my area are delivering. How about you guys? (I live in the Valley).

by Anonymousreply 95March 23, 2020 6:11 PM

I don't know, but Tender Greens are selling produce and pantry boxes that are delivered through DoorDash (I put in Studio City zip) I got the pantry and the fruit box (minus the pineapple), and everything is excellent quality and ripeness:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96March 23, 2020 6:22 PM

[quote]R60 Fakers. All fakes. Anyone who truly lives in Los Angeles would know that there is no apostrophe in Ralphs (the store).

I’m a native Californian and lived in LA 10 years. It’s never occurred to me how that store specifically spells its name.

Some of us give our attention to bigger issues, day to day.

by Anonymousreply 97March 23, 2020 7:39 PM

I like the people who are like, "We don't call it that! No one spells it that way! You must be a transplant!" Jesus fucking Christ who's not a goddamn transplant, get over your myopic worldview. Fuck. These are the types of people who live in one big city their entire lives and think they know the fucking world.

by Anonymousreply 98March 23, 2020 7:47 PM

The reason it's spelled like that is because it was named after its founder, Leon RALPHS.

by Anonymousreply 99March 23, 2020 9:45 PM

I've lived here for 30 years and did not know who RALPH'S was named for. Now I know it's RALPHS. Who the fuck cares?

by Anonymousreply 100March 23, 2020 9:49 PM

Are the drug dealers still out? Are they like Door Dash, especially in Los Feliz.

by Anonymousreply 101March 23, 2020 9:59 PM

Brentwood and West Hollywood have the highest number of reported cases.

by Anonymousreply 102March 23, 2020 10:01 PM

r101 friend of mine who lives in a highrise downtown posted an IG story of a drug deal going down on the sidewalk below

by Anonymousreply 103March 23, 2020 10:16 PM

ive never been happier not to live on the west side

by Anonymousreply 104March 23, 2020 10:31 PM

OK supermarket historians. I get why “Ralphs” has no apostrophe, but explain why “Vons” no longer has one. Do sign makers charge a premium for punctuation? Maybe Albertsons really should be “Albert’s Sons” but they wanted to save $$$.

by Anonymousreply 105March 24, 2020 12:34 AM

There is also a Jons and a nationwide Walgreens.

by Anonymousreply 106March 24, 2020 12:41 AM

Kyle Griffin is also out and about in Los Angeles. The gays have another thing coming...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 107March 24, 2020 12:46 AM

TBH I never understood why it is "Howards End" minus an apostrophe.

by Anonymousreply 108March 24, 2020 12:49 AM

It’s been confirmed that Albertsons was founded by Joe Albertson. What horrid grammar! I only shop at the Mexican supermarkets anyhow... they never run out of stuff.

by Anonymousreply 109March 24, 2020 12:54 AM

Please. Given the choice, we all go to Gelson’s and Bristol Farms.

by Anonymousreply 110March 24, 2020 1:45 AM

I'm perfectly fine with Sprouts, thank you.

by Anonymousreply 111March 24, 2020 1:49 AM

Sigh...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112March 24, 2020 1:50 AM

R84

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113March 24, 2020 2:15 AM

NATURE UPRISING!

by Anonymousreply 114March 24, 2020 5:37 AM

[quote]Yeah, those aren't the places in SoCal I'm thinking of.

Where do you think the people in ICU came from, before they finally had symptoms? All around you.

by Anonymousreply 115March 24, 2020 4:15 PM

[quote]Where do you think the people in ICU came from, before they finally had symptoms? All around you.

No, I mean... the numbers show that this is happening in different capacities across Southern California. Hospitals are undoubtedly burdened, but some are more than others. I don't live exactly where you live, so that's why my situation looks different. Does that make sense?

Anyway, LA what's the update?!

by Anonymousreply 116March 24, 2020 8:57 PM

People here are turning into assholes. Or it's giving assholes something to complain about. I was just yelled at today by some old man as I passed him on the sidewalk. "6 FEET!!!!" I guess I had a smirk on my face as a reaction to that cause then he said,"I'M GLAD YOU THINK IT'S FUNNY!!!" It's not funny, it's absurd. I am not stepping out into traffic just to avoid you. It made me wish I hadn't left my apartment but I was out of vodka and after that I really needed a drink. I wanted to yell back like Patsy "oh just DIE already!".

by Anonymousreply 117March 25, 2020 11:33 AM

This is my first week of telecommuting, and I realized I'm using more gas and power than usual. Since it's been chilly lately, I have the heat turned up when usually it's turned down when I'm at the office. The lights are turned on because its dark and overcast. My computer is always on, the music or television is on for background noise. And every so often, I'll go to the kitchen to use the microwave, use the keurig, or cook something on the stove. My gas and power bill will be astronomical. Will my company reimburse me for this?

by Anonymousreply 118March 25, 2020 10:38 PM

r118 You're saving on commuting costs such as gas or public transpiration. It all balances out in the end.

by Anonymousreply 119March 25, 2020 10:54 PM

Incredible -- a little past 5 pm in LA, and Google Maps is showing little traffic anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 120March 26, 2020 12:15 AM

You can now fink on your friends and neighbors who are violating the "stay-at-home" order.

[quote]All reports of businesses or persons disregarding safer at home orders should be reported to the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health at their online site which is www.publichealth.lacounty.gov and clicking on their file a report icon.

by Anonymousreply 121March 26, 2020 1:51 AM

R119, You just reminded, I need to call vanpool services to make sure they aren't charging me while I'm telecommuting. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 122March 26, 2020 2:04 AM

Still like any other day where I live except things are closed. More douche cunts than ever "walking" around in groups of 4 or more or sorry "family" groups. I stood out in front yard and counted the people passing by my house at 1:20 pm. 36 people in 3 minute passed my house on the sidewalk and street. On two streets that is. I live on a corner. Btw, corners sucks.

by Anonymousreply 123March 26, 2020 2:07 AM

No one I know has been confirmed yet (in LA, at least) but it is scary to think about who I'm going to lose.

"This will not kill most of us," he said. "It will kill a lot more people than we're used to dying around us."

On Tuesday, Garcetti said the city was anywhere from six to 12 days away from the fate of New York City, where a surge in patients with the novel coronavirus is threatening to overwhelm the health system.

As of noon on Tuesday, Los Angeles County public-health officials said there were 662 confirmed cases of COVID-19, the disease caused by the novel coronavirus, with 11 confirmed deaths. The actual numbers are no doubt higher, with officials only recently beginning to roll out testing.

Los Angeles, where intensive-care units were 90% filled long before the expected peak of the COVID-19 outbreak, is no better prepared. In the weeks to come, Garcetti said everything from convention centers to sports arenas, such as the Staples Center, may need to be converted into space for hospital beds.

While Garcetti is concerned about the economic fallout, he's mostly worried about the irreplaceable loss of life that's predicted in this pandemic, he said.

"The main horrifying thing that I think is keeping every local leader awake is the projection of how many people will get this, the projection of what the mortality rate will be, and how many dead we will have," Garcetti said. "Will we have hundreds of thousands of deaths, or tens of thousands of deaths? That's what keeps us up."

"It will be our friends. It will be our family. It will be people who we love dearly," he said. "And everything I do is through that lens."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124March 26, 2020 2:28 AM

The US Mercy hospital ship is supposed to arrive in the port of Los Angles tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 125March 26, 2020 2:39 AM

Was at the WeHo Sprouts and they were surprisingly stocked. Many people practicing social distancing. I had glasses , mask and gloves (just getting over Bronchitis) and no one looked at me funny.

by Anonymousreply 126March 26, 2020 3:24 AM

My sister and all her colleagues on her floor were sent home the other day because a co-worker, who was running a fever and having respiratory issues, died over the weekend. Now my sister and her husband and sons are in quarantine. This makes me nervous because she visits our elderly parents regularly, and if they get sick with Covid-19, I don't think they'll be able to pull through.

by Anonymousreply 127March 26, 2020 3:36 AM

You can get alcoholic beverages with take out now.

by Anonymousreply 128March 26, 2020 3:54 AM

I’m amazed how many liquor stores are still open! Same with marijuana shops!

by Anonymousreply 129March 26, 2020 4:01 AM

R129, marijuana dispensaries are open? Maybe because cancer patients use their products for medicinal purposes.

I know liquor stores are getting around the rule because a lot of them stock some aisles of food items, water, and toilet paper (i.e. essentials).

by Anonymousreply 130March 26, 2020 4:04 AM

Police chase happening now! Exactly what the doctor ordered. We've been in a drought.

by Anonymousreply 131March 26, 2020 10:25 PM

I wonder how the incredible amount of mixed use retail/residence luxury buildings in development in Hollywood and Glendale will be affected.

by Anonymousreply 132March 27, 2020 1:00 AM

[quote]Same with marijuana shops!

Marijuana is an essential item for Californians. I must remain open.

by Anonymousreply 133March 27, 2020 1:05 AM

There is no toilet paper. There is a toilet paper shortage. I mean really.

by Anonymousreply 134March 27, 2020 1:55 AM

R132 hopefully it will slow it down a little bit. On the one hand, we talk about building more affordable housing in LA, but even the smaller complexes going up in my neighborhood seem to be aimed more at a high dollar renter or maybe someone short term where they aren't the one's paying so price in no object, or getting a studio per diem, etc...Perhaps rents will be more reasonable after this.

With almost every business down and actual earnings suppressed, maybe developers will understand they aren't going to be getting quick returns, and stop buying up single family homes to shoe in these smaller 'high end apts' as well.

by Anonymousreply 135March 27, 2020 3:08 AM

After my excursion last week that turned into a terrifying debacle at Ralphs, (Everything stripped!) I ventured to Costco at 0800 for the senior slot; although it was 37°F, (We're in northern LA county) the line extended all the way around the store past the loading dock area in the back; at one point they started "snaking" the line so an 18-wheeler could get through. We finally made it to the food court ("snaking" again) & were delayed 45 minutes due to a power failure-- (Thanks SCE--that's why we have a generator!) but then it was my time to enter, so I donned my gloves/mask & we were immediately directed to an express lane at the back where they loaded TP! Kleenex® was in stock as was virtually everything else! A bag full of avocados! containers of Madeleines! 2-pound bags of Peets Major Dickason's coffee! Milton's Multi-grain bread! Fresh Flowers!

Felt deserted because of the way they staggered customers; on checkout, a girl was sanitizing the belt & I emerged into the cold winter sunlight happy, and confident again! (& almost $400.00 lighter :) )

Scarlett was right, tomorrow is another day!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136March 27, 2020 3:11 AM

No one gives a shit about aspiring writers R136. Next time just gives us the who, what, when and where of the experience.

by Anonymousreply 137March 27, 2020 3:19 AM

Wipe sparingly, LA.

by Anonymousreply 138March 27, 2020 3:30 AM

So you were in Canyon Country. What a shit hole country!

by Anonymousreply 139March 27, 2020 3:37 AM

Canyon Country is where poor with trash live near LA.

by Anonymousreply 140March 27, 2020 3:51 AM

Northern LA County is Lancaster, Palmdale, etc. (Antelope Valley.)

by Anonymousreply 141March 27, 2020 3:55 AM

I'm ok. But I've been staying in a friend's guest house in West Hollywood. I have to leave tomorrow, and I have no place to go. Kinda sucks.

by Anonymousreply 142March 27, 2020 3:56 AM

With the street being mostly empty, I have noticed some people speeding like there is no tomorrow. Big uptick in hit and runs and lots of late nite 2am folks killing themselves by driving 100 miles an hour on a city street. And some guy just got randomly shot in the upper body minding his own business on a main city street. Basically, after dark, the thugs and lowlifes seem to be coming out more than usual.

by Anonymousreply 143March 27, 2020 3:57 AM

Palmdale and Lancaster are even sadder than Canyon Country.

by Anonymousreply 144March 27, 2020 3:58 AM

R142, are you staying with a friend?

by Anonymousreply 145March 27, 2020 3:59 AM

R145 I'm staying at my friend's guest house. But he's leaving unexpectedly tomorrow. He needs the guest house for storage space. I have to leave tomorrow. I'm basically homeless.

by Anonymousreply 146March 27, 2020 4:02 AM

R146, sorry about your situation. Surely your friend could leave enough space for you to have somewhere to sit/sleep?

by Anonymousreply 147March 27, 2020 4:04 AM

What is he doing with the main house R146?

by Anonymousreply 148March 27, 2020 4:05 AM

Are they out of Crepe Erase as well, R41?

by Anonymousreply 149March 27, 2020 4:14 AM

I'm sure you'll land on your feet, Schocky, er, I mean, R142.

by Anonymousreply 150March 27, 2020 4:16 AM

I don't understand how this "friend" could kick you out on the street in order to make room for storage while there's a major pandemic. Some friend.

by Anonymousreply 151March 27, 2020 6:17 AM

R148 he's renting out the big house.

I suspect it's my friend's wife who's making me leave.

by Anonymousreply 152March 27, 2020 7:17 AM

and where will you go?

by Anonymousreply 153March 27, 2020 7:37 AM

Get out of West Hollywood. It's ground zero for Corona. Move to the far end of the Valley or something.

by Anonymousreply 154March 27, 2020 7:39 AM

You guys are about to get some ROYAL neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 155March 27, 2020 7:40 AM

More cases in Brentwood now than West Hollywood.

35 in WeHo vs. 42 in Brentwood as of Thursday's report from the LA County Department of Public Health.

Meanwhile, the Melrose neighborhood, just south of the eastern portion of West Hollywood has more cases than either WeHo or Brentwood. Melrose has 47 as of Thursday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156March 27, 2020 10:48 AM

I dont get Brentwood, its not that kind of town with a lot of people mixing. Mostly older, retired rich people who never leave the house. WeHo has all those bars and restaurants and younger people who like to go out every day of the week. Beverly Hills has lots of people out and about too. But Brentwood?

by Anonymousreply 157March 27, 2020 12:10 PM

R157 It is a little confounding, given that Brentwood has a population density of 2k/sq mi vs. Weho's 18. Both have pops of about 37k. But I'm wondering if higher counts could be attributed to greater accessibility to testing by folks in former.

by Anonymousreply 158March 27, 2020 1:06 PM

[quote]R11Gelson’s and Bristol Farms.

It’s Bristol Farms’

by Anonymousreply 159March 27, 2020 1:47 PM

[quote]R142 I'm ok. But I've been staying in a friend's guest house in West Hollywood. I have to leave tomorrow, and I have no place to go. Kinda sucks.

Oh no! Good luck.

Why would they ask you to leave at such a time?

by Anonymousreply 160March 27, 2020 1:54 PM

I suspect Brentwood has a lot because of they probably travel more for work or leisure, Melrose area because it's a high tourist area with damn influencers taking selfies everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 161March 27, 2020 2:07 PM

Doesn't Brentwood have apartment areas where UCLA students rent?

I should know this because my partner went to UCLA -- but I don't, lol.

by Anonymousreply 162March 27, 2020 3:35 PM

I just got an email that my local car wash was reopening today. I hardly think car washing is "essential."

by Anonymousreply 163March 27, 2020 4:43 PM

R163, is it at least a drive-through carwash?

by Anonymousreply 164March 27, 2020 4:49 PM

R163 report them so Governor Newsom can have their power and water cut off!

by Anonymousreply 165March 27, 2020 5:07 PM

R164 No ... it's one where your car goes through an automated wash, but there are men working inside as well. And outside, doing the drying off, interior cleaning.

by Anonymousreply 166March 27, 2020 5:48 PM

So what’s the death toll in LA now? There’s a lot of out of work actors who are probably going stir crazy.

by Anonymousreply 167March 30, 2020 12:16 AM

Shirley Maclaine was spotted banging on the door of a closed Beverly Hills cafe screaming for her creme brulee.

by Anonymousreply 168March 30, 2020 12:43 AM

Any luck with finding toilet paper in L.A.?

by Anonymousreply 169March 30, 2020 12:57 AM

Americans literally need their hands held with this. Pathetic! This entire thing about "get outside and walk, bike, and exercise" will come back and bite stupid selfish cunts in their fat sloppy asses! THE REASON WHY ITALY IS WHERE IT IS TODAY IS BECAUSE THE DID THE SAME THING!!! Why are we following their lead? Where I live you can't even walk on the fucking sidewalk OR fucking streets! Everyone is out! Oh but they are doing what they are told?! Americans are the biggest fucktards EVER!!!!! The USA is fucking DOOMED!

MARK MY FUCKING WORDS IN 1 OR 2 WEEKS!!!

by Anonymousreply 170March 30, 2020 1:08 AM

R170 you and your exclamation points are out of your fucking minds.

by Anonymousreply 171March 30, 2020 1:10 AM

r171 soon to be CV19 victim.

by Anonymousreply 172March 30, 2020 1:12 AM

R172 !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 173March 30, 2020 1:15 AM

2,136 cases in LA County, 37 deaths, as of Sunday at noon.

52 of those cases are in West Hollywood. That's one person infected for every 688 people in West Hollywood.

Other places with high numbers:

88 in Long Beach

71 in Melrose neighborhood due south of WeHo;

46 in Glendale

44 in Hollywood

41 in Santa Monica

38 in Santa Clarita

34 in Torrance

33 in Brentwood

30 in North Hollywood

Bookmark the page. The LA County Health Department updates it every day about noon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174March 30, 2020 3:48 AM

Holy shit! I understand huge population section of Los Angeles like WeHo and Santa Monica. They have what looks like big number but look at the smaller population cities. Eagle Rock with a pop of 34,000 with 8, South Pasadena pop of 22,000 with 5 and La Canada Flintridge pop of 20,000 with 7?

WTF is going on there? Who's not listening in those places? They are FUCKED?

by Anonymousreply 175March 30, 2020 4:24 AM

LA, this is your chance to right a historic wrong. Could you - all of you - please reach out to new resident Meghan Markdown and ask if she’s OK.

When they write the story of this, you don’t want LA shamed with that failure. She’s already told you once.

by Anonymousreply 176March 30, 2020 12:57 PM

s175, I could be wrong, but those are heavily Hispanic or starter family neighborhoods. You have more people to infect in one household.

by Anonymousreply 177March 30, 2020 2:00 PM

r174 Thanks for sharing. Following Weho (1 in 688), other communities in top 10 with relatively high covid ratios are: Melrose (1093), Hlwd Hills (1203), Tarzana (1314), Bev Hills (1444), Hlwd (1476), Brentwood (1572), Encino (1575), Hancock Pk (1768) and Venice (2008)

by Anonymousreply 178March 30, 2020 2:26 PM

I'm not sure of that r177.

by Anonymousreply 179March 30, 2020 8:42 PM

It's very annoying to me that NONE of the grocery stores near me are delivering now. We are being FORCED to go out and be around other people.

by Anonymousreply 180March 30, 2020 8:43 PM

r176 isn't there some royal thread that needs your attention?

by Anonymousreply 181March 30, 2020 8:44 PM

agree, r180.

by Anonymousreply 182March 30, 2020 8:45 PM

Lighten up, R181. Bleach is a good disinfectant.

Drink some.

by Anonymousreply 183March 30, 2020 8:48 PM

You have to give major credit to Lisa Vanderpump for opening up Pump on that corner in West Hollywood that seemed to have a new business every couple years for decades. But I don't know how she will maintain paying staff members at four LA bar/restaurants.

by Anonymousreply 184March 30, 2020 8:51 PM

r180 Did you try Instacart? How about Walmart grocery pickup (you have to go there, but not inside the store.)

by Anonymousreply 185March 30, 2020 8:53 PM

I'm so glad I no longer live on the westside. I spoke with a clerk at a pet store in east pasadena. She lives in East LA and was shocked to see so many people out in Pasadena. She says no one is out in East LA. Meanwhile we are staring across the street at Target which is all of a sudden shut down. Later I read on Nextdoor that some employees had tested positive at that store.

by Anonymousreply 186March 30, 2020 8:58 PM

Brentwood has the open air farmer's market.

by Anonymousreply 187March 30, 2020 9:02 PM

R186 I dread going to the westside for any reason.

by Anonymousreply 188March 30, 2020 9:03 PM

r186, you live in pasadena?

by Anonymousreply 189March 30, 2020 9:04 PM

Altadena, R189. I'm so glad to be hidden in the mountains with the hommies.

by Anonymousreply 190March 30, 2020 9:28 PM

r190 are you seeing a lot of people walking on the streets and in their cars over there?

by Anonymousreply 191March 30, 2020 9:52 PM

r190 Hi, neighbor. I'm about 10 miles east of you. I'm friends with a gay couple in Altadena.

by Anonymousreply 192March 30, 2020 9:54 PM

Yes, too many people out. I went out Friday morning and the streets had more cars than a normal Friday. The stores too. It's usually quiet at SK in the morning. I won't go in if the lot has too many cars. I ended up at Aldi because they have the store marked to keep a distance. Friends say Trader Joe's does this also.

by Anonymousreply 193March 30, 2020 10:13 PM

re: Carwash @R163 Just got an email saying they were forced to close. Guess they weren't as essential as they thought.

by Anonymousreply 194March 30, 2020 10:37 PM

I’m surprised East L.A. (aka Lil’ Mexico ) is pretty much a ghost town. It’s fine. Most people keep to themselves.

So how is Palm Springs? That is one city with a large elder gay population.

by Anonymousreply 195March 30, 2020 10:41 PM

Toluca Lake (per R174) still Corona free

by Anonymousreply 196March 30, 2020 10:54 PM

Monday's numbers show that LA County is up to 2,474 cases and 44 deaths.

Major uptick in cases in Melrose neighborhood (now up to 82 cases), Glendale (now up to 62) and Santa Monica (now up to 47). And now Carson is showing up with 34 cases.

Meanwhile, West Hollywood only added one case for a total of 53 and Hollywood added five cases for a total of 49.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197March 31, 2020 1:25 AM

Here's a breakdown of cases in LA County by age groups (from the Public Health Department website):

0 to 17 -- 37

8 to 40 -- 918

41 to 65 -- 943

Over 65 -- 467

by Anonymousreply 198March 31, 2020 1:27 AM

[quote]Meanwhile, West Hollywood only added one case for a total of 53

Wasn't West Hollywood leading in cases at the beginning? They battened down those hatches.

by Anonymousreply 199March 31, 2020 1:31 AM

[quote] Brentwood has the open air farmer's market.

I just saw news that the farmers markets are being shut down after this photo of the Brentwood market from YESTERDAY surfaced on the internet. LA is going to get hit hard.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200March 31, 2020 1:40 AM

I'm still out of toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 201March 31, 2020 1:42 AM

I hate most people so staying at home is mostly fine for me. I just went to Ralphs in Burbank and people were half-assed social distancing

by Anonymousreply 202March 31, 2020 3:07 AM

Good for Eric Garcetti. He keeps tightening the lockdown when people keep ignoring social distancing.

They packed the beaches and hiking trails a week ago, ignoring social distancing. So, Garcetti closes the beaches and hiking trails.

They pack the Farmers Markets yesterday, ignoring social distancing. So Garcetti closes the Farmers Markets.

by Anonymousreply 203March 31, 2020 3:09 AM

[quote]I just went to Ralphs in Burbank and people were half-assed social distancing

With so may products sold out in the grocery stores, I think the scarcity mentality takes over for shoppers -- I've gotta get this before anyone else can otherwise it will be gone. Thus shoppers rush around grabbing items, ignoring social decorum as well as social distancing.

At least that's been my observation from the times I've been in grocery stores.

by Anonymousreply 204March 31, 2020 3:13 AM

R204 It was pretty well stocked. I didn't look at paper products but there was plenty of bread and milk

by Anonymousreply 205March 31, 2020 3:23 AM

California is in good hands with Gavin Newsom and Eric Garcetti protecting our wellbeing. It doesn't matter if idiots across the country don't want a Californian as a president, we are lucky to have these two as leaders.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206March 31, 2020 3:32 AM

R206, they do seem to enjoy each other.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207March 31, 2020 3:45 AM

They're less than 6 feet apart in R206!

by Anonymousreply 208March 31, 2020 3:54 AM

R208, That was taken a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 209March 31, 2020 3:57 AM

R208, Sorry, I thought you meant the other pic. My bad.

by Anonymousreply 210March 31, 2020 3:58 AM

Their sex would be incredible.

by Anonymousreply 211March 31, 2020 4:04 AM

I popped into my local grocer to buy some alcohol. I've never seen the alcohol aisle so empty. Picked up what I wanted, but not in the bigger bottle. Woman that was ahead of me in the checkout allowed me to go before them since I only had one item. Guy behind her was sociable. Have to say the friendliness of people is more now than before this crisis.

by Anonymousreply 212March 31, 2020 4:22 AM

We’re burning in hell for having a city full of sin.

by Anonymousreply 213March 31, 2020 4:24 AM

Aimee Simpleton R213 where have you been.

by Anonymousreply 214March 31, 2020 4:27 AM

How are your dirtypillows, Momma R213?

by Anonymousreply 215March 31, 2020 4:55 AM

Anybody see the comments from R200's post? My favorite:

"Something more dangerous than OJ in Brentwood?"

by Anonymousreply 216March 31, 2020 5:00 AM

yes, r203 but the parks are still open and they been packing those. Socal cunts are real selfish assholes!

by Anonymousreply 217March 31, 2020 5:29 AM

Sin is fun and so is Los Angeles R213.

Look at those counts in coal country, they’ll die from Covid-19 having lived a life of hatred. They’ll die bitter and alone while Los Angeles will see another day.

by Anonymousreply 218March 31, 2020 5:37 AM

There's something oddly comforting about Garcetti's voice. When he gives his daily briefings I like listening.

by Anonymousreply 219March 31, 2020 5:59 AM

All the black lung MAGAs in West Virginia, Tennessee, and Kentucky are going to meet the ripper.

by Anonymousreply 220March 31, 2020 6:18 AM

I love the big ol’ gay bear who does sign language for the Mayor’s briefings. He’s so expressive and reminds me of a friend I haven’t seen in a long time.

by Anonymousreply 221March 31, 2020 8:02 AM

That farmer's market picture was hilarious. Shame to see Angelenos not take this seriously. Some will suffering the consequences, and inflict those consequences on others. Rich, selfish people isn't too surprising though.

by Anonymousreply 222March 31, 2020 10:31 AM

The guy doing sign language interpretation at the Board of Supervisors's daily briefings seems especially expressive and flamboyant.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223March 31, 2020 10:32 AM

The guy who does sign language interpretation for Garcetti is always suited up. He must be from the Mayor's Office rather than a contracted employee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224March 31, 2020 3:58 PM

[quote] There's something oddly comforting about Garcetti's voice. When he gives his daily briefings I like listening.

Especially after listening to Donald Trump speak. Such a stark contrast.

by Anonymousreply 225March 31, 2020 4:18 PM

Trump's a dumpster fire. Trumpster fire.

by Anonymousreply 226March 31, 2020 4:28 PM

In Vancouver we're now getting warnings that when the wildfire season starts, it's going to make things a lot worse for CoVid-19. Our season normally starts in early summer - not sure about LA, if you'll have to wait until the Fall?

by Anonymousreply 227March 31, 2020 4:39 PM

I am constantly impressed with Eric Garcetti through all this. I actually look forward to his daily briefings.

by Anonymousreply 228March 31, 2020 7:03 PM

I'm so glad that we've got Gavin and Eric at the helm in our state and city respectively. It definitely feels like both have acted very proactively and efficiently in the face of this and I think California (and Los Angeles) will be better off because of them, despite the slow and disastrous response of the nightmare in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 229April 1, 2020 1:54 AM

r229 that great and all but assholes are still NOT staying the fuck home! How many times does a cunt need to go to Trader Joes? WTF!

by Anonymousreply 230April 1, 2020 3:06 AM

I wonder when Eric will extend Safer @ Home thru May, like SF yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 231April 1, 2020 10:19 AM

[quote]I wonder when Eric will extend Safer @ Home thru May, like SF yesterday.

Probably so. Latest predictions suggest the coronavirus will peak in LA in late April.

by Anonymousreply 232April 1, 2020 1:29 PM

Unfortunately people are probably going to the store more often items are not available. I just happened to be at my grocery store when they had stocked the bread. I still can't find items I need which in turn makes me go back to the store to see if they have stocked it.

by Anonymousreply 233April 1, 2020 2:44 PM

I want to see Eric Garcetti nude.

by Anonymousreply 234April 1, 2020 9:35 PM

It would be interesting if, for stop gap content at this time, television dug into the vaults and aired some television pilots that were never picked up, or aired.

It probably opens the door for nightmarish contract review for everyone involved, though?

by Anonymousreply 235April 1, 2020 9:49 PM

Check your local area. Showtime is free for awhile because of the coronavirus. Guess they hope you will continue after it is over.

by Anonymousreply 236April 1, 2020 9:56 PM

Important information for renters in LA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237April 1, 2020 9:59 PM

r234 I'm sure you can ... just make a very large campaign contribution.

by Anonymousreply 238April 1, 2020 10:03 PM

California public schools will likely not reopen for the entire 2020 year.

As children all over the state who hate school cheer on, lol...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 239April 1, 2020 10:10 PM

I feel bad for anyone who was graduating this year. All those seniors with all those plans. When do acceptance letters usually go out? Presumably most have already been sent.

by Anonymousreply 240April 1, 2020 10:30 PM

[quote]California coronavirus deaths surge past 200 as L.A., O.C. see massive rise in number of daily infections The coronavirus outbreak in California reached another grim milestone Wednesday as the number of cases in Los Angeles and Orange counties rose dramatically and the death toll in the state reached 206.

[quote]L.A. reported more than 500 new cases for a total of 3,518 COVID-19 patients in the county, and 11 new deaths from the virus, bringing the toll to 65. Orange County saw its biggest single-day increase as officials announced 107 new cases — more than the previous three days combined — and three additional deaths.

by Anonymousreply 241April 1, 2020 10:32 PM

[Quote] California public schools will likely not reopen for the entire 2020 year.

GOOD! Kids are one of the "carriers" of the virus.

by Anonymousreply 242April 1, 2020 10:36 PM

R240, to think of some positives about this situation for the Class of 2020: maybe they can defer and take a Gap Year? To be honest, I think a lot of students could benefit from taking a year off in between high school and college and really thinking about what they want, where they're headed.

Those who will telecommute and use distance learning for their first college semester will be be saving money on dorm housing, meal plans, etc.

by Anonymousreply 243April 1, 2020 10:38 PM

That's a good point. Also, you've gotta think about college seniors who already had jobs lined up that they might've been starting in the summer, but we have no idea what life will look like then, or how safe it'll be to start some of those new jobs.

I'd imagine certain STEM fields will be fine if their work is predominantly digital, but that's not the case for every new grad that needs to have hands on experience in a team or something.

by Anonymousreply 244April 1, 2020 11:06 PM

[quote] To be honest, I think a lot of students could benefit from taking a year off in between high school and college and really thinking about what they want, where they're headed.

Absolutely agree. It’s one of my great regrets.... I went on to school too soon. North America should embrace the gap year. If I’d had kids, I would have forced them to take one.

by Anonymousreply 245April 1, 2020 11:08 PM

Fraus have infested this thread now.

by Anonymousreply 246April 1, 2020 11:26 PM

oh pipe down, r246

by Anonymousreply 247April 1, 2020 11:30 PM

r247 = fat frau

by Anonymousreply 248April 1, 2020 11:32 PM

no, I'm a guy. I just hate rude assholes.

by Anonymousreply 249April 1, 2020 11:33 PM

r249 = fat gay guy who types like a fat frau

by Anonymousreply 250April 1, 2020 11:36 PM

And we're all 7.

by Anonymousreply 251April 1, 2020 11:38 PM

[quote] GOOD! Kids are one of the "carriers" of the virus.

Those little fuckers will be our ruin !!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252April 2, 2020 12:10 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253April 2, 2020 12:35 AM

Latest numbers with the city by city breakdown for April 1.

West Hollywood jumped from 56 yesterday to 64 today.

Meanwhile, the Melrose neighborhood due south of WeHo went up from 100 yesterday to 104 today.

Other high numbers:

Carson -- 44

Glendale -- 86

Long Beach -- 133

Manhattan Beach -- 41

Santa Clarita -- 50

Santa Monica -- 53

Torrance -- 63

Hollywood -- 67

North Hollywood -- 45

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 254April 2, 2020 12:47 AM

[quote]California public schools will likely not reopen for the entire 2020 year.

Not the entire 2020 year, just the rest of the school calendar year, which ends in June. Nothing has been projected yet for the Fall 2020 semester.

by Anonymousreply 255April 2, 2020 1:06 AM

R234 - I have. I went to college with him. He was extremely thin then, probably only weighed like 130 pounds. But handsome good looks. Very hairy legs and arms. I won't speak about the other stuff.

He was very driven and into all the politics on campus. He loved to tell people what to do and came across as a bit full of himself and talked down to others. But you knew he was going to go places.

by Anonymousreply 256April 2, 2020 1:17 AM

MSNBC said the entire 2020 year.

by Anonymousreply 257April 2, 2020 1:43 AM

Refurbishing ventilators.

I got to tell you. People are stepping up big time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258April 2, 2020 1:49 AM

r256 come on! at least a hint....is it nice?

by Anonymousreply 259April 2, 2020 1:51 AM

There haven't been any decisions about the 20-21 school year, just the current school year. Graduation requirements are based on instruction hours, and doing busy work at home doesn't count towards it. Parents are also not prepared to teach full school days with state curriculum five days a week, and provide all-day supervision everyday.

by Anonymousreply 260April 2, 2020 1:52 AM

I'm going to come in here to claim I've seen someone nude but then say I refuse to talk about it!!!!

I don't need attention at all!

by Anonymousreply 261April 2, 2020 1:54 AM

Today's daily Coronavirus newsletter from the LA Times.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262April 2, 2020 2:19 AM

But it’s April. And it’s SoCal. The heat is here. It will miraculously die out.

by Anonymousreply 263April 2, 2020 3:42 AM

[quote]MSNBC said the entire 2020 year.

MSNBC can say whatever they want, but until I receive it as an email from my agency and LAUSD, it's not official. He misspoke on Monday by saying "calendar year," but was referring to the instructional calendar that ends on June 30th, not the standard one. The superintendent corrected the error yesterday in an email sent to the District and behavioral agencies.

by Anonymousreply 264April 2, 2020 3:44 AM

It won’t be as bad as NY. There isn’t a mass transit system. People travel in their own cars. In NY, people take buses & subways and they are crammed. The MTA hasn’t improved service, so all public transport is overcrowded.

I don’t think most of country has any idea that the vast majority of NYers take public transport.

by Anonymousreply 265April 2, 2020 3:47 AM

R255, that makes more sense! I thought the entire 2020 year sounded... excessive.

At the announcement of this news, my sister freaked out. She's hypochondriacal/anxiety-prone, has three restless boys in public school, and is having a hard time keeping one of them from sneaking out to see his BF. Needless to say, she's one of those people who just isn't doing too well in our current predicament.

by Anonymousreply 266April 2, 2020 3:50 AM

[Quote] I thought the entire 2020 year sounded... excessive.

Not when the 2nd wave is going to hit in Sept. Duh.

by Anonymousreply 267April 2, 2020 3:51 AM

When discussing anything school-related, any reference to "the year" means the academic year.

by Anonymousreply 268April 2, 2020 3:58 AM

No one knows for sure there will be a second wave in September. The virus didn't even exist four months ago.

by Anonymousreply 269April 2, 2020 4:02 AM

[quote]It won’t be as bad as NY. There isn’t a mass transit system. People travel in their own cars.

Los Angeles has mass transit. I relied on it every day before they closed the schools.

by Anonymousreply 270April 2, 2020 4:06 AM

I have never seen Angelenos wearing masks and carrying wipes. It's nice to see most of them are following instructions.

by Anonymousreply 271April 2, 2020 4:09 AM

R271 you've seen all of them?

by Anonymousreply 272April 2, 2020 4:10 AM

Face masks and taking wipes with you when you go out is a culture that will stay with L.A. from now on. This is good.

by Anonymousreply 273April 2, 2020 4:14 AM

Very few of the people I see are wearing masks, because there aren't any available. Bandanas and homemade masks don't really count, as their fibers aren't condensed enough to keep out viral particles.

by Anonymousreply 274April 2, 2020 4:15 AM

Some idiot thought he could drive a train into the medical ship docked in Long Beach.

"A man was arrested for allegedly intentionally derailing a train at full speed near the USNS Mercy, the hospital ship docked at the Port of Los Angeles, because he was suspicious over its ties to COVID-19 and a possible government takeover, according to a federal criminal complaint.

Eduardo Moreno is a train engineer who works at the port. The 44-year-old from San Pedro, California, told authorities in two separate interviews that he ran the train off the tracks at high speed, crashing through barriers, before stopping about 250 yards away from the ship.

The USNS Mercy docked at the port last week to relieve some of the strain on hospitals that are stretched thin caring for patients with COVID-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus. The ship, which has 1,000 beds and can perform surgeries and other critical care, began treating non-COVID-19 patients Sunday. youtube.com

The operator told FBI agents that “he did it out of the desire to ‘wake people up'" and "thought that the U.S.N.S. Mercy was suspicious and did not believe ‘the ship is what they say it’s for,'” the US Attorney’s Office in Los Angeles said.

A California Highway Patrol officer, who saw the crash and took Moreno into custody after he tried to flee, said the train smashed into a steel barrier, a chain-link fence, slid through a parking lot, then a gravel-filled lot, and crashed into another fence.

When the officer apprehended Moreno, he allegedly made a series of "spontaneous statements," prosecutors said in their statement, including, “You only get this chance once. The whole world is watching. I had to. People don’t know what’s going on here. Now they will.”

Video from inside the train's cab shows Moreno inside and holding a lighted flare, prosecutors said. The engineer told authorities that he had not plotted the attack ahead of time and acted alone. instagram.com Advertisement

No one was injured in the crash, although the train did leak a "substantial amount of oil," officials said.

The Justice Department charged Moreno with one count of train wrecking, which carries a maximum sentence of up to 20 years in prison."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275April 2, 2020 4:25 AM

R274 a T-shirt is as effective as a mask because the virus doesn't stay intact through folded fabric

by Anonymousreply 276April 2, 2020 4:26 AM

R273 a lot of people in LA are vain douchebags who won't wear masks and will risk catching and spreading a virus to show off their filler, botox, spray tans and makeup.

by Anonymousreply 277April 2, 2020 4:31 AM

[quote]a T-shirt is as effective as a mask because the virus doesn't stay intact through folded fabric

The CDC has not stated this.

The rule of thumb with barriers is the easier it is to breathe through them, the less they filter out microparticles. That's why you practically pass out wearing a N95 and also why the governor is still asking for those masks to be reserved for medical personnel.

Surgical masks have an moisture-sensitive electrostatic barrier that suspends outgoing droplets for 2- 4 hours before the masks need to be disposed of, but still allow the wearer to inhale viral particles. Your tshirt does not even have that layer. It's better than wearing nothing, but gives a false sense of security.

by Anonymousreply 278April 2, 2020 4:39 AM

LAUSD had already speculated that school would not resume. It was part of the reason they took so long to close. They were scrambling to get things like free lunches and daycare in order. They were hopeful that the closing would roll into Spring break and the month they were closed might be sufficient. It isn't and they now dealing with issues related to no Spring session. The teacher's union likely would not allow them to return anyways because there was such fear about their own health.

by Anonymousreply 279April 2, 2020 4:39 AM

I just realized this will kill the push to bring the subway into Los Angeles. Good.

I rather put up with bad traffic than catch an infectious deadly virus by proximity. Plus the smell and who knows what pervert might be lurking in the shadows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280April 2, 2020 4:41 AM

R278 the CDC just recommended masks yesterday so I wouldn't be looking to them for updated advice. The best source of information is the long interview with the Korean doctor who says T-shirts are as effective as masks.

by Anonymousreply 281April 2, 2020 4:41 AM

Exactly, R281. The CDC up until yesterday was saying masks weren't effective. I wouldn't take their word for anything.

Also, re: the school year. I wouldn't be surprised if it is the entire calendar year. Of course no one wants to point out that experts are saying the earliest the US might be able to THINK about going back to normal is November. The Government is just going to tell you it'll be a few weeks... and then add a few more weeks to that... and... lather, rinse, repeat.

by Anonymousreply 282April 2, 2020 4:44 AM

[quote]I just realized this will kill the push to bring the subway into Los Angeles. Good.

What do you mean? The subway already is in LA.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283April 2, 2020 4:49 AM

[Quote] No one knows for sure there will be a second wave in September. The virus didn't even exist four months ago.

EXCUSE YOU?

by Anonymousreply 284April 2, 2020 5:35 AM

[quote]the CDC just recommended masks yesterday

I'm not talking about what was credited to them as a public statement on television. I'm talking about the actual research, posted on their website. The same site where the ratios of bleach to water and other things we do for disease prevention are posted.

They were correct in their public statement that most masks don't protect you from the virus. Doctors and nurses are still getting ill, even though some of them have the masks (but probably wear them past their effectiveness). Only N95s are dense enough to protect long-term.

Most non-N95 masks protect others from droplet spray for a limited amount of time, but not the wearer from inhaling pathogens. Everyone wearing them at the same time would definitely cut transmission way down, as there would be few particles exhaled in that case, but there weren't enough masks available to everyone to change every few hours. I suspect the general "masks don't help" bullshit was a simplification to keep people from buying them up and depriving medical workers of the few available.

I hope there is eventually peer-reviewed, repeatable research backing up your claim and will be happy to admit then that I was in the wrong. If you feel the tshirt masks work and you're ahead of the game, then by all means, please wear them.

by Anonymousreply 285April 2, 2020 5:39 AM

[Quote] The virus didn't even exist four months ago.

Wtf are you babbling about? The virus was in China last August! Sheeeeesh!

by Anonymousreply 286April 2, 2020 5:43 AM

im sure others have mentioned this but there's no reason to read much into the reported numbers. The state of California has already advised doctors to only test if it makes a difference in the treatment plan. They are purposely NOT testing people with manageable symptoms. There could be 50x as many infected as the reports claim. Maybe 100x as many infected. For most it won't be a big deal. But some will die.

by Anonymousreply 287April 2, 2020 5:45 AM

R284 you think this is the same as the Spanish Flu dumbass

by Anonymousreply 288April 2, 2020 6:03 AM

R286 as if that makes a difference

by Anonymousreply 289April 2, 2020 6:04 AM

r288, OMFG! That's what you got out of that? You are dumb.

by Anonymousreply 290April 2, 2020 6:05 AM

R290 nice way to like your own post within a minute after posting meth addict

by Anonymousreply 291April 2, 2020 6:06 AM

FUCKTARD R288/R289/R291 IS OFFICIALLY THE DUMBEST CUNT EVER ON THE DATALOUNGE!

by Anonymousreply 292April 2, 2020 6:09 AM

I just liked that post, r291.

by Anonymousreply 293April 2, 2020 6:10 AM

R292 thankfully your insane genes will die with you

by Anonymousreply 294April 2, 2020 6:10 AM

r288/r289/r291/r294 =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295April 2, 2020 6:12 AM

R292 ALL CAPS and an exclamation point!

by Anonymousreply 296April 2, 2020 6:12 AM

r296 still =

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 297April 2, 2020 6:14 AM

R297 still with the fucktard?

by Anonymousreply 298April 2, 2020 6:15 AM

Yeah.. but I am talking about how the CDC first told everyone not to bother wearing masks and now of course are telling people they should. Even if they had a reason, like to prevent people from stockpiling masks, that's even worse, because they knowingly put people at risk when they could have just suggested people wear home sewn masks.

by Anonymousreply 299April 2, 2020 7:03 AM

They usually don't recommend anything that hasn't been researched, because they'll be blamed later if it doesn't work. Doesn't mean the homemade ones won't help, it just means they don't have proof yet to say that for sure. We are basically the lab guinea pigs now, testing them out.

by Anonymousreply 300April 2, 2020 3:26 PM

So now they recommend we should wear mask so if we are infected we won't infect others. Well, you know there are going to be a bunch of idiots that are going to say they don't need to wear a mask. My idiot repub neighbor is doing absolutely nothing differently since the coronavirus.

by Anonymousreply 301April 2, 2020 3:33 PM

There is no point in only recommending a mask if you can just as easily catch it in your eyes.

by Anonymousreply 302April 2, 2020 3:46 PM

The point of wearing the mask is if you are infected you are containing the spread R302. There was a video on twitter that showed the affects of wearing a mask and not wearing a mask.

by Anonymousreply 303April 2, 2020 3:49 PM

My Republican brother and his wife were hoping to send their son back to school next week and are all bitter at Governor Newsom for extending the shelter in place. They live in Manhattan Beach, a town full of rich white people who live in a bubble from the rest of the city. My brothers stupid blonde wife was moaning because it's just too much work having the kid at home.

by Anonymousreply 304April 2, 2020 3:53 PM

I'm not into sports, but some guy that owns a team just sent his plane to pick up 1.2 million mask from China.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305April 2, 2020 3:54 PM

[quote]My brothers stupid blonde wife was moaning because it's just too much work having the kid at home.

I've been seeing a lot of this on Twitter amd usually think to myself, "Why do breeders have kids if they don't want to spend any time with them?"

by Anonymousreply 306April 2, 2020 4:52 PM

You can only control yourself. Handle your own ark.

by Anonymousreply 307April 2, 2020 5:16 PM

R287 Not quite. If people with upper respiratory infection symptoms are not tested yet presumed to have COVID-19 are becoming ill and dying at alarming rates, we would be seeing it at our hospitals. As such our hospitals are not impacted, meaning not at capacity with both acute care and critical care units. This is why we can gauge by correlations since one factor affects an outcome. It’s another reassurance that social distancing and early lockdown are having desired effects.

by Anonymousreply 308April 2, 2020 5:43 PM

It wasn't that the CDC didnt initially recommend wearing masks because it wasn't researched... They outright told people not to bother.

by Anonymousreply 309April 2, 2020 6:08 PM

Wealthy L.A. areas have higher rates of coronavirus cases. Why those numbers are deceiving

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310April 2, 2020 6:11 PM

They told people not to bother because they have no data saying the masks would work. They cannot recommend something they have no research on yet, although I agree they just should have said so and told everyone their tshirt masks are better than nothing.

Lysol refuses to say their products destroy COVID19 for the same reason. They kill other coronaviruses and probably also kill this one, but they are not going to claim that without actual testing on this specific virus to back up the claim.

by Anonymousreply 311April 2, 2020 6:12 PM

Again, it's not about recommending something... if they didn't have the research, then fine, don't say ANYTHING. They outright told people not to bother WITHOUT having done research.

Lysol isn't telling people not to bother using their product.

by Anonymousreply 312April 2, 2020 6:22 PM

Agreed, R309, it was irresponsible. A lot of researchers and Doctors were saying for weeks that even a homemade mask was better than nothing. CDC shouldn't have said anything if they were still waiting for their own reserach.

by Anonymousreply 313April 2, 2020 6:24 PM

"Grim New Rules for NYC Paramedics: Don’t Bring Cardiac Arrests to ER for Revival" This is just so sad. That has to break their spirit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314April 2, 2020 6:37 PM

[quote]They live in Manhattan Beach, a town full of rich white people who live in a bubble from the rest of the city. My brothers stupid blonde wife was moaning because it's just too much work having the kid at home.

That poor kid. I mean, the kid's rich, but to have a mother who you're too much for? And Republican parents? At least they're Republican in California instead of Republican in Florida where they're actively encouraging you to die.

[quote]I've been seeing a lot of this on Twitter amd usually think to myself, "Why do breeders have kids if they don't want to spend any time with them?"

I suspect most women like this want the baby as an accessory. They enjoy the attention building up to the birth, then likely resent the dwindling attention, especially as the kid grows up and is a brat because his mother considers him a burden.

by Anonymousreply 315April 2, 2020 9:31 PM

[quote]"Grim New Rules for NYC Paramedics: Don’t Bring Cardiac Arrests to ER for Revival" This is just so sad. That has to break their spirit.

The psychological toll of this pandemic will be astronomical I'd imagine. I suspect our doctors will experience PTSD the way anyone on any frontline would. I can't fathom the medieval scenes they're facing daily.

by Anonymousreply 316April 2, 2020 9:32 PM

The guilt of the decisions they make and the fury at being so ill equipped to do their best.

by Anonymousreply 317April 2, 2020 9:36 PM

Why is it at these news briefings Trump looks like this is the first time he has heard the information?

by Anonymousreply 318April 2, 2020 9:44 PM

Commentary: Forget Trump’s daily briefings. Watch these coronavirus messengers instead

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319April 2, 2020 9:46 PM

Tdoay's numbers (April 2) -- 4045 cases in LA County, 78 deaths.

Cities with especially high number of cases:

Beverly Hills -- 45

Burbank -- 41

Carson -- 55

Downey -- 42

Glendale -- 92

Inglewood -- 44

Long Beach -- 139

Manhattan Beach -- 43

Pasadena -- 37

Redondo Beach -- 54

Santa Clarita -- 65

Santa Monica -- 56

Torrance -- 69

West Hollywood -- 68

Brentwood -- 42

Hollywood -- 71

Melrose neighborhood -- 113

North Hollywood -- 57

Sherman Oaks -- 43

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320April 2, 2020 10:52 PM

San Francisco must be doing something right. They're not even in the top 5 of counties for deaths. (Of course they're only #12 in population, but they are more urban an densely-packed than most counties.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321April 2, 2020 10:58 PM

LA rental prices fall for the first time since the Great '08 Recession.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322April 2, 2020 11:03 PM

The high numbers of wealthy areas may not be a reflection of who is infection, but rather a reflection of who can afford to be tested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323April 2, 2020 11:08 PM

No water shutoffs during the coronavirus epidemic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324April 2, 2020 11:08 PM

Fucking hell, Melrose is on top. I look out my window, and there are scores of people walking their dogs, children, running and the goddamn construction that has been going on for 6 years (a developer keeps on buying single family homes here and razing them) hasn't stopped.

by Anonymousreply 325April 2, 2020 11:09 PM

Eric Garcetti says that construction projects can continue provided the workers maintain 6 feet distancing and projects have a COVID-19 supervisor to enforce the rules.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326April 2, 2020 11:23 PM

[quote]sent his plane to pick up 1.2 million mask from China.

Used? Unused? Sprayed with virus?

Why aren't we fucking making these here? We're the fucking U.S.A. We should be able to do this shit without help from others.

Damn, we have become such snowflakes.

by Anonymousreply 327April 2, 2020 11:32 PM

The wealthy have the highest numbers in LA because of all the travel. There was a huge group of people coming in from Italy and they were never stopped at LAX back when the virus was a hoax perpetuated by Nancy, Adam and Chuck.

by Anonymousreply 328April 2, 2020 11:55 PM

[Quote] construction projects can continue provided the workers maintain 6 feet distancing and projects have a COVID-19 supervisor to enforce the rules.

Sure. Like that will ever be enforced. No way is that going to happen.

by Anonymousreply 329April 3, 2020 1:01 AM

[quote]Why is it at these news briefings Trump looks like this is the first time he has heard the information?

Trump's useless. They should just shut down the white house. No more presidents for a minute. I don't think American can supply one at this time.

[quote]Why aren't we fucking making these here? We're the fucking U.S.A. We should be able to do this shit without help from others.

Have you seen our leader? There's one big ass snowflake in America and it can't stand the heat, so it should get out the white house.

[quote]Fucking hell, Melrose is on top.

Long Beach is killing it! Did a plague ship dock there? Spring Breakers? Casual carelessness? Why're the winning most COVID?

by Anonymousreply 330April 3, 2020 1:30 AM

I work from home; I didn't go out at all today; not even for the mail or to the market.

I work from home and I'm going stir crazy.

My mother is in a hospital 3K miles away and I can't visit b/c they're not allowing visitors. I don't stay with relatives when I normally visit ("you should check out hotels in the neighborhood" my sibling said to me the first time I came to visit Mom after the house was sold); that's certainly going to be the case now, but the hotels are closed, I believe.

So this is it; it all changes so quickly.

So, how am I doing? Not well.

by Anonymousreply 331April 3, 2020 3:21 AM

It is just me and my dog. I worry because if I get the coronavirus she will surely be put down. I only hope is I can outlive her and after that I don't care.

by Anonymousreply 332April 3, 2020 4:16 AM

That's very real, R332. Do you have anyone who you can ask to take care of your dog?

by Anonymousreply 333April 3, 2020 4:25 AM

I want to be quarantined with Mayor Garcetti.

I care so much about Los Angeles that I am willing to sacrifice my wellbeing in order to prevent Mayor Garcetti from getting sick. We'll room together, alone, for as long it's needed...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 334April 3, 2020 4:34 AM

No R333. A vet fucked her up and dislocated her shoulder and hip. She had FHO surgery for the hip, but there is nothing they can do for the shoulder. So she can't get up by herself and I get her up and ouside where she can walk. I've always said she was afraid of life. She just doesn't trust people and probably only trust me because I feed her.

by Anonymousreply 335April 3, 2020 5:00 AM

r331, sorry about your mother. Hope she improves.

r332, hope your little dog is giving you comfort and vice versa.

by Anonymousreply 336April 3, 2020 5:15 AM

R314, survival rates for out-of-hospital cardiac arrest (OHCA) patients are very low even when we're not in the midst of a pandemic. It sucks but I can see why they made that choice.

by Anonymousreply 337April 3, 2020 5:43 AM

Just posted on the other thread and am letting people know here: my best friend's husband found out tonight that he has COVID19. He wears surgical masks year round, because he has chronic bronchitis and there are noxious fumes at his workplace.

Please be extra careful in your homemade masks and try to stay at the least 6 feet away from as many people as you can. The latest reports are saying just the vapor in our breath can transmit it.

R331, I wish you and your mother the best. Keeping my fingers crossed for her.

by Anonymousreply 338April 3, 2020 7:32 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339April 3, 2020 9:40 AM

I don't understand how housing development can continue during this pandemic while everything else has come to a halt. I still hear workers banging away non-stop and it's annoying for everyone, especially those working from home to have to listen to it all day.

by Anonymousreply 340April 3, 2020 11:51 PM

Still nothing has changed in my part of LA. EVERYONE has flooded the streets all day. Shopping a TJ's everyday. All week has been a loooooong weekend for them. What's CV19?

by Anonymousreply 341April 3, 2020 11:57 PM

[quote]What's CV19?

They'll find out soon enough.

by Anonymousreply 342April 4, 2020 12:03 AM

R341 Where in LA? I’m in the Hollywood Hills. The eastern edge of WeHo and western edge of Hollywood are a ghost town. I miss people (i can pretend not to see).

by Anonymousreply 343April 4, 2020 12:41 AM

Installed my bidet today. At least I did something useful, instead of being on the internet all day.

by Anonymousreply 344April 4, 2020 12:42 AM

Evidently we just had an earthquake.

4.9 in the desert.

Didn't feel a damn thing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345April 4, 2020 2:53 AM

I felt it! It was definitely shifty, but brief. Nothing like the string of crazy ones we had last year. Hahahah, remember those?! Remember when our biggest fear in California was whether the Big One was finally gonna hit? Life was so quaint then, and it wasn't quaint at all.

by Anonymousreply 346April 4, 2020 3:11 AM

A few blocks over from me a bunch of yoga fraus were holding a socially distanced outdoor exercise session in the middle of the street.

by Anonymousreply 347April 4, 2020 5:27 PM

r343, SGV aka frau and oafville.

by Anonymousreply 348April 4, 2020 5:32 PM

R343, yeah, I'm not seeing a lot of people out either. It's mostly a ghost town here in Eagle Rock as well, especially at night.

by Anonymousreply 349April 4, 2020 5:35 PM

r348 #MeToo

by Anonymousreply 350April 4, 2020 5:42 PM

Is Eagle Rock as depressing as it seems?

by Anonymousreply 351April 4, 2020 7:29 PM

[Quote] Is Eagle Rock as depressing as it seems?

It's boring but fine.

by Anonymousreply 352April 4, 2020 7:30 PM

R351, I like it. So did Obama. It is boring like R352 says, but I'll take boring over crazy and there is plenty of that in this city.

by Anonymousreply 353April 4, 2020 7:33 PM

My only experience in Eagle Rock was walking though that place they call a mall there. It has a Target, Jollybee... maybe a Chuck E Cheese and Macys? I was basically the only one there and seemed awful. I'm glad it's just quiet!

by Anonymousreply 354April 4, 2020 7:44 PM

Once this is behind us, we should have an LA Datalounger Happy Hour somewhere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355April 4, 2020 7:48 PM

[quote]My only experience in Eagle Rock was walking though that place they call a mall there. It has a Target, Jollybee... maybe a Chuck E Cheese and Macys? I was basically the only one there and seemed awful. I'm glad it's just quiet!

Back in the olden days, the anchors were the May Company and Montgomery Ward.

by Anonymousreply 356April 4, 2020 7:55 PM

L.A. moves to prosecute eight businesses that refuse to close.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357April 4, 2020 8:17 PM

I hope LA prosecutes any churches that either holds or encourages services or prayer meetings.

by Anonymousreply 358April 4, 2020 8:20 PM

I thought CA was going to cut power and water to businesses still operating?

by Anonymousreply 359April 4, 2020 8:25 PM

I wonder how Catalina Island is doing? I'm sure the cruise ships and tourists have stopped going there for now.

When things eventually get back to normal, I'm booking a room at the Zane Grey with my partner and staying there for some days. We want to see some coastline and some buffalo.

by Anonymousreply 360April 4, 2020 8:30 PM

R358, but how will I deal with suppression and PTSness?

by Anonymousreply 361April 4, 2020 8:54 PM

The Incredible Shrinking Woman was filmed in Eagle Rock, and the grocery store in the movie is now a Sprouts.

by Anonymousreply 362April 4, 2020 9:33 PM

Saturday's (April 4) numbers indicate there are 5,277 cases in Los Angeles County, a 15.6% increase from Friday's numbers of 4,566 cases. The number of cases on Thursday was 4,045.

There have been 117 deaths so far in LA County, up from 89 on Friday.

Places with high numbers:

Beverly Hills -- 60 cases

Burbank -- 61

Carson -- 69

Downey -- 52

Glendale -- 118

Inglewood -- 62

Lancaster -- 43

Long Beach -- 171

Manhattan Beach -- 46

Redondo Beach -- 62

Santa Clarita -- 89

Santa Monica -- 65

South Gate -- 42

Torrance -- 85

West Hollywood -- 81

Brentwood -- 46

Hollywood -- 84

Melrose neighborhood -- 129

North Hollywood -- 86

Sherman Oaks -- 52

Silverlake -- 46

Sylmar -- 52

Woodland Hills -- 43

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363April 5, 2020 2:21 AM

These are some quiet LA Saturday nights.

by Anonymousreply 364April 5, 2020 4:17 AM

Tender Greens are doing fruit, vegetable, pantry, breakfast and mixed produce boxes to deliver. That's what I miss the most- fresh produce and dairy. I'm lucky enough to have a porch where deliveries can be left on it.

by Anonymousreply 365April 5, 2020 4:33 PM

Calls to suicide hotlines are spiking.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366April 5, 2020 5:35 PM

I don’t understand why we are so far behind NYC. I get that we are more spread out, but we also have a huge population, tons of tourists...the risks would seem to outweigh the mitigating factors. It makes me wonder if, and when, we will peak.

by Anonymousreply 367April 5, 2020 6:02 PM

I thought CA locked down slightly earlier. Didn’t DiBlasio drag his heels about NYC? Plus, LA sprawls and drives, while NY rises and takes the subway. All those people in the same damn elevators and subway cars and commuter trains has to count for something, doesn’t it?

by Anonymousreply 368April 5, 2020 6:04 PM

It's a cloudy and on-again, off-again drizzly day. I think it's a good thing -- Angelenos are more likely to stay home in this type of weather of all things.

Today would be sort of a 'danger' day. If people were to gather in large groups, it would be those church people for some Easter get-together. So let it rain, baby, rain.

by Anonymousreply 369April 5, 2020 7:10 PM

^^Ooops. I'm one week too soon. Shows what kind of a good lapsed-Catholic I am.

by Anonymousreply 370April 5, 2020 7:12 PM

Isn’t today a Jewish holiday?

by Anonymousreply 371April 5, 2020 7:39 PM

[quote]LA sprawls and drives, while NY rises and takes the subway.

This, in addition to Dr. Sara Cody's quick response, and Newman's quickness to listen to her, is the main reason why California doesn't look as bad New York. Contingents of Californians are fucking up though. I highly recommend following the Los Angeles subreddit to keep track of what's going down on the ground. It's a chatty place, and they find out about things quickly.

Most recent talking point is a fucking block party in some upper class neighborhood in Atwater... though everything in Atwater might be upper class. Don't know. Don't frequent there. Anyway, people from all classes aren't taking this seriously, but the brazen and entitled way the rich are treating this is fucking bizarre, but ultimately predictable, and not surprising, and the reason guillotines were invented, no?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372April 5, 2020 8:02 PM

[quote] Most recent talking point is a fucking block party in some upper class neighborhood in Atwater... though everything in Atwater might be upper class.

I'm betting that little street party in Atwater was filled with people who are in the middle circle of the Venn Diagram where hipster meets anti-vaxxer...

by Anonymousreply 373April 5, 2020 8:13 PM

That sounds like a nightmare circle. Granola [bold]and[/bold] ignorant? No thank you!

by Anonymousreply 374April 5, 2020 8:16 PM

Atwater is Middle to low class if anything.

by Anonymousreply 375April 5, 2020 8:27 PM

Well it was, r375, but a lot of hipster with money started buying property there.

by Anonymousreply 376April 5, 2020 8:29 PM

R375, are you kidding? Trust funds galore.

by Anonymousreply 377April 5, 2020 8:29 PM

Well we know which COVID block party R375 wasn't invited to.

by Anonymousreply 378April 5, 2020 8:31 PM

They actually blocked the street for this block party...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379April 5, 2020 8:32 PM

I guess times have changed for Atwater. 20 years ago there were gangbangers living there! Frogtown anyone?

by Anonymousreply 380April 5, 2020 8:34 PM

R380, yeah, that area has changed a lot!

by Anonymousreply 381April 5, 2020 8:35 PM

The story of my dating life, Passover, starts on the 8th but I don’t think today is a Jewish holiday.

by Anonymousreply 382April 5, 2020 8:37 PM

Covid had to have started off from the wealthy. So many of them walked off the plane from Italy ski trips without being quarantined and tested.

by Anonymousreply 383April 5, 2020 8:41 PM

[quote]Covid had to have started off from the wealthy. So many of them walked off the plane from Italy ski trips without being quarantined and tested.

I can hear the conversations at Party Zero, Connecticut now...

[italic]Oooh, it was wonderful! Look here, we went down this street in China, it was so strange! They were selling all KINDS of animals! Barbaric, really, but you know... FOR THE GRAM!!! Anyway, we decided to call the trip of early because Magnus here got the sniffles. Oh, where's Magnus? Vomiting in the bathroom? One second, girls. You know men.[/italic]

by Anonymousreply 384April 5, 2020 8:45 PM

Frogtown is super nice now too.

by Anonymousreply 385April 5, 2020 9:25 PM

Riverside County (which includes Palm Springs) has made face masks mandatory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 386April 5, 2020 9:26 PM

That's good. I went to Wal Mart yesterday and Stater Bros. this morning and was pleased to see all the mask wearers. In fact, I'd argue that the majority of people I saw were wearing masks and gloves. I was proud of my locale. Hoping everyone else is staying safe out there!

by Anonymousreply 387April 5, 2020 9:32 PM

R387 Were the Walmart customers buying guns and ammo?

by Anonymousreply 388April 5, 2020 9:35 PM

R388 The Wal Mart I went to in Southern California doesn't sell guns... or maybe it does and I don't know. Honestly, if people wanna get guns around me they'd probably just go to the local Bass Pro Shop. That place is like a conserva-prepper's wet dream.

by Anonymousreply 389April 5, 2020 10:04 PM

[quote]Bass Pro Shop?

by Anonymousreply 390April 5, 2020 10:07 PM

[quote]Coachella Valley Dweller

I live in the Inland Empire, so if you wanna mock, please be accurate.

How's the Coachella Valley even doing? I assume all the olds in Palm Springs are being ravaged by COVID? Or were they smart about it like the educated olds in California who holed up [italic]real[/italic] quick?

by Anonymousreply 391April 5, 2020 10:10 PM

This thread keeps reloading. Impossible to read. Can we start the continuing thread early?

by Anonymousreply 392April 5, 2020 10:16 PM

Early in relation to...?

by Anonymousreply 393April 5, 2020 10:18 PM

Here's a new thread for you r392.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394April 5, 2020 10:23 PM

So with masks becoming de rigueur, if not mandatory, where does one get one now? Every store is sold out, or is reserving them for hospitals and healthcare workers. Do I just wear my underwear on my head? Wrap a towel around my face?

by Anonymousreply 395April 5, 2020 10:34 PM

R395, West Hollywood go go boys are in a financial pinch right now. You can probably buy one of their used jockstraps off of them and use it as a mask.

by Anonymousreply 396April 5, 2020 10:36 PM

r395 I got a mask at a hardware store a few days.

If you can't find one, you can fashion your own. Perhaps a bandanna around your mouth. Those bandannas people used to wear in their back pockets looking for sex (in the days before Grindr). Now they have a new use.

Or a scarf. Or a towel will work.

by Anonymousreply 397April 5, 2020 11:13 PM

Use a jockstrap!

Here's a video about fashioning a face mask out of a jockstrap.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398April 5, 2020 11:17 PM

I went on a distant walk with a friend today in the Noho Arts district party. Most people weren't wearing masks. We were.

by Anonymousreply 399April 6, 2020 1:43 AM

[quote]Most people weren't wearing masks. We were.

I'm glad you guys were being the change! Keep doing it.

Are there any places in Los Angeles where people are taking this seriously? It seems like those that are are in the minority. I really don't want LA ravaged like NY. I'm sure we won't be simply because of Newsom's willingness to listen and act quickly, but still! I love LA.

by Anonymousreply 400April 6, 2020 2:03 AM

Er...park, not party

by Anonymousreply 401April 6, 2020 2:07 AM

I've noticed that more people are wearing masks walking down my street. Maybe 75% of them.

by Anonymousreply 402April 6, 2020 2:49 AM

R402 That's good!

by Anonymousreply 403April 6, 2020 3:06 AM

The rain is nice!

by Anonymousreply 404April 6, 2020 3:12 AM

Many people are fleeing Los Angeles for their desert homes.

by Anonymousreply 405April 6, 2020 3:15 AM

[quote]The rain is nice!

The rain is essential!

[quote]their desert homes.

Those poor desert towns. Stay put, fuckers!

by Anonymousreply 406April 6, 2020 3:24 AM

How to make a no sew mask

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 407April 6, 2020 3:25 AM

I do it R401, but it is really disgusting the "Oh Dear" fucking idiot makes people correct a mistake when the rest of us knew what they meant. There was a study done and the most intelligent people actually didn't see the error in spelling. Makes me think twice about how intelligent the "Oh Dear" troll is.

by Anonymousreply 408April 6, 2020 5:06 AM

Yeah - Palm Springs here - we have more Angelenos coming in. Relatively speaking, we haven't had a lot of cases in Coachella Valley. 46 cases in Palm Springs, 5 deaths. I think a total of around 300 for all the valley cities.

People are being very responsible - I went out yesterday and today and EVERYONE had masks. I know it is a county-wide order now, but people really are doing it.

We're supposed to have rain for the next 4 days which is really unusual for the desert. I'm not looking forward to it - the weather has been great lately and it was always nice to go out by the pool. Now I'm going to be REALLY inside for the next 4 days. The last few weeks must have been a lot harder on people who live in areas where they don't live half their life outside. I can't complain in comparison.

by Anonymousreply 409April 6, 2020 5:18 AM

I wouldn't expect Palm Springs to get hit too hard. It's spread out, people drive everywhere in their own car (instead of using any public transportation), there aren't big groups of young carriers hanging around, and I think most people are OK hanging out in their own homes unless it's to go out for necessities. Plus, I believe their stay-at-home order precedes even LA and California at large.

by Anonymousreply 410April 6, 2020 5:28 AM

R410 - I think you may be right about that. They closed things very early here - like the Mizell senior center.

But there were tons of tourists (as usual) in Feb and early March. And there are plenty of younger tourists - it's definitely not all old people anymore.

by Anonymousreply 411April 6, 2020 5:35 AM

R398 A straight guy tries to follow the instructions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412April 6, 2020 6:16 AM

Interesting vacuum bag mask video.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413April 6, 2020 6:46 AM

I love that video R398. I don’t have a jockstrap though because I’m a chick. I wonder if you could make one out of a bra?

by Anonymousreply 414April 6, 2020 6:47 AM

Before, I was staying in that Melrose area that has 140 confirmed cases. I'm now in Studio City with only 20 confirmed cases. Who knows how much meaning there is to these numbers, but I do feel somewhat more secure here.

by Anonymousreply 415April 6, 2020 7:08 AM

The Palm Springs mayor was definitely on top of things.. He shutdown non-essential businesses early, then closed down all shared pools, tennis courts, etc. then closed all vacation rentals and motels/hotels.

We decided to stay two more months and moved to Indio, CA to a house with a private pool/spa. It normally rents for $230 a night, we got it for $87.

by Anonymousreply 416April 6, 2020 12:57 PM

r414, I used my tube bra yesterday as a mask. Riverside county made it mandatory to cover our faces when out in public.

by Anonymousreply 417April 6, 2020 1:05 PM

r415, I hate to say it, but I think the Melrose area is so high because of the large amount of selfie tourists that flock here, many from Asia and Europe.

by Anonymousreply 418April 6, 2020 2:35 PM

Most, if not all, tourist destinations were hit. Hell, people caught COVID off the Pacific Crest Trail. You can catch it anywhere 'cause humans are anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 419April 6, 2020 2:38 PM

Need to amend my mask post @r413. Someone on another thread mentioned that some vacuum bags have fiberglass in them. I wish I could delete the post. 😔

by Anonymousreply 420April 6, 2020 3:50 PM

Well R391, we're doing fine. Of course, we'd all be down at the Fish Store swapping tales if we had anywhere to fucking fish here in the desert. Which I thought was pretty accurate and not mocking you, but, oh gurl, if I have to explain it.....never mind.

by Anonymousreply 421April 6, 2020 5:11 PM

r400 in Atwater Village the residents on one street decided to throw a block party.

They illegally blocked off the street with vehicles and had their party a few days ago.

by Anonymousreply 422April 6, 2020 5:25 PM

R422 I sure don't at all understand the arrogance.. the gall people would have to do that. And, like, Atwater is a well-to-do area. What the fuck is going on?

by Anonymousreply 423April 6, 2020 6:47 PM

As a longtime Angeleno I am more shocked that Atwater Village is considered a "well-to-do" area than I am that its residents decided to congregate in violation of Safer at Home. During the 1992 civil unrest riots in LA, I stayed with a friend in AV. It was not at all "well-to-do" in those days.

by Anonymousreply 424April 6, 2020 6:53 PM

That's my impression. I guess I would qualify it by saying "Hipster well to do." When I was working, I couldn't afford the rent there.

by Anonymousreply 425April 6, 2020 7:09 PM

All of those areas like Atwater Village, Echo Park, Highland Park that were marginal or worse are gentrifying rapidly (or are already there.)

by Anonymousreply 426April 6, 2020 7:17 PM

R421 if I misunderstood, my bad, GUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUURL.

by Anonymousreply 427April 6, 2020 7:25 PM

R415 -- I'm staying in Studio City too, at a friend's place while she's away. I've never been here before, and am surprised at how nice it is.

by Anonymousreply 428April 6, 2020 7:29 PM

R428 yeah Studio City is like real Leave it to Beaver the nice side of middle class land.

by Anonymousreply 429April 6, 2020 7:31 PM

r423 it's hipster land like Silverlake and Los Feliz. I have lived in Los Feliz for 32 years and when the flood of hipsters moved in they all acted like a bunch of stuck up assholes, extremely entitled.

Anyone that wants to know what the area was like before all these punks moved in can just look outside. There was no traffic through these neighborhoods, no bumper to bumper traffic to get into Glendale or to the five freeway.

by Anonymousreply 430April 6, 2020 7:39 PM

Alright quit bitching about fucking real estate and check out this AMA on Reddit by Mayor Garcetti!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 431April 6, 2020 7:41 PM

Here's the cutie's proof via titter. He started answering questions from the Los Angeles community on Reddit at 10 AM, so you can scroll through and read through the answers, which should be informative. I haven't read them yet, but I will later.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432April 6, 2020 7:42 PM

Did anyone ask him to take his shirt off?

by Anonymousreply 433April 6, 2020 7:53 PM

No, but I screen capped the top question pertaining to preparation for the second wave come Fall. I'll post below:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 434April 6, 2020 8:01 PM

About rent and mortgages:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435April 6, 2020 8:03 PM

On evictions:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 436April 6, 2020 8:03 PM

On testing:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 437April 6, 2020 8:04 PM

About the portapotties on Skid Row:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 438April 6, 2020 8:05 PM

R437, thanks for posting these!

by Anonymousreply 439April 6, 2020 8:05 PM

r420 From research I arrived at the same conclusion. 3M advised NOT using their HEPA filters in face masks. Instead if your face mask has an insert for filters, you can buy n95 PM2.5 replacement filters.

by Anonymousreply 440April 6, 2020 8:37 PM

The N95 replacement filters are sold out/backordered. That's why people are opting for potentially dangerous d.i.y. home versions.

by Anonymousreply 441April 6, 2020 8:46 PM

'Mr. Garcetti! Mr. Garcetti?! Enough about this naughty little virus, tell me all about you. Have you ever had a prostate massage? I would gladly like to offer one.'

by Anonymousreply 442April 6, 2020 9:05 PM

Monday's numbers (April 6):

6,360 cases in LA County, up from 5,940 cases on Sunday.

147 deaths, up from 127 on Sunday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443April 6, 2020 11:35 PM

I like Mayor Garcetti. He seems like he has a good heart and cares about people. And he’s smart as well.

by Anonymousreply 444April 7, 2020 4:13 AM

It’s a beautiful start to the day! I wonder if we’ll get more rain?

by Anonymousreply 445April 7, 2020 4:43 PM

Southern California outpacing the Bay Area in new cases.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446April 7, 2020 4:45 PM

I just ran to Ralphs (with a mask) and was surprised how many old people weren't wearing any.

by Anonymousreply 447April 7, 2020 9:12 PM

Nurses are striking and no one is talking about it.

by Anonymousreply 448April 7, 2020 9:28 PM

R445 if only there was a resource you could use to find out

by Anonymousreply 449April 7, 2020 10:30 PM

[quote]I just ran to Ralphs (with a mask) and was surprised how many old people weren't wearing any.

The olds have a death wish. We already know this.

[quote]Nurses are striking and no one is talking about it.

I don't blame them if they are. Do you have a source for this?

by Anonymousreply 450April 7, 2020 11:10 PM

[Quote] Southern California outpacing the Bay Area in new cases.

Because SoCal is infested with far more entitled, selfish, douche cunts than NorCal.

by Anonymousreply 451April 7, 2020 11:17 PM

Masks are now mandatory for LA. Of course this only applies to the city, not the entire metropolitan area, which has more than twice the population of the city.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452April 8, 2020 2:53 AM

r451 has never been to Marin County.

by Anonymousreply 453April 8, 2020 2:54 AM

The older people I know don’t seem to give a fuck about the recommendations. My friend still has a housekeeper that comes over once a week. They just wanna go about their life the same they always have.

by Anonymousreply 454April 8, 2020 5:15 AM

R217, People are in the parks keeping social distance. So what. We cannot stay in the house 24/7 for months and months. It's not possible. It's way too restrictive to then ask people to not leave their house and skip getting groceries.

I get it needs to be done, but it's unfucking healthy also. This is going to set not only our economy backwards but will generations will be socially awkward and backwards even more than Gen Z is. Its sucks a real big one and I hate it.

by Anonymousreply 455April 8, 2020 12:36 PM

r243, A gap year? To sit at home and watch television. No, that is not a good idea. Start college and take classes online. Some online classes i've taken were quite a heavy load. The best thing that they can do during this time is learn something.

by Anonymousreply 456April 8, 2020 12:49 PM

[quote]The older people I know don’t seem to give a fuck about the recommendations.

They olds don't care if they get infect or who they infect. The logical conclusion of the boomer.

by Anonymousreply 457April 8, 2020 2:35 PM

We got ours and we're given it to you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 458April 8, 2020 3:48 PM

[quote] Masks are now mandatory for LA. Of course this only applies to the city, not the entire metropolitan area,

If they're going to do this, then they just need to make it mandatory for the whole fucking county. People from LA, who have lived here since birth, don't know where LA city proper ends and where the county and incorporated parts begin. They can avoid a whole lot of geographic and logistical confusion if the powers that be all just get on board and issue clear, declarative orders.

by Anonymousreply 459April 8, 2020 7:30 PM

^UNincorporated

by Anonymousreply 460April 8, 2020 7:31 PM

r459 There are over 80 independent cities in LA County, so it's not just the incorporated/unincorporated parts of Los Angeles. And of course there are the neighboring counties. Riverside already has a county-wide mask requirement.

by Anonymousreply 461April 8, 2020 7:50 PM

[quote]R455 I get it needs to be done, but it's unfucking healthy also. This is going to set not only our economy backwards but will generations will be socially awkward and backwards even more than Gen Z is.

Oh please. You need to get a grip.

by Anonymousreply 462April 8, 2020 7:56 PM

R461, it gets confusing. I bet if you asked most locals which one of Hollywood, West Hollywood, or North Hollywood is it's own city, I'd be surprised if a third would get it right.

by Anonymousreply 463April 8, 2020 11:05 PM

its, not it's^

by Anonymousreply 464April 8, 2020 11:06 PM

r463 And even those who live in West Hollywood and know that it is a separate city from Los Angeles, many believe that Eric Garcetti is the mayor of the city.

A few years ago, I was at Crescent Heights and Santa Monica Boulevard watching the Pride Parade. There was an announcer on a loudspeaker describing each float or car and telling who was on it. When Garcetti's car was about to start down the route, the announcer said, "And here is our Mayor, Eric Garcetti."

Really embarrassing the amount of money WeHo puts into hosting pride to then have that mistake be made.

by Anonymousreply 465April 9, 2020 12:44 AM

R465, Well, it is called LA Pride.

by Anonymousreply 466April 9, 2020 2:44 AM

R466, for years wasn't it called West Hollywood Pride?

by Anonymousreply 467April 9, 2020 3:32 AM

I've never heard anyone refer to themselves as an Angeleno out loud.

by Anonymousreply 468April 9, 2020 4:28 AM

r455 = soon to be cv19 victim.

by Anonymousreply 469April 9, 2020 6:12 AM

I know Garrett has been playing it safe, which has been such a good thing. I haven't watched a press briefing in a few days, Anyone have any intel as to when the lockdown might end for LA? We have been the exemplary state that even Trump is constantly praising. My friend in SF said that she heard from a friend that is a cop that they might extend through May. Do you think we'll be done by the end of April?

by Anonymousreply 470April 9, 2020 3:37 PM

^^^Garcetti...autocorrect

by Anonymousreply 471April 9, 2020 3:38 PM

Well Wuhan was on lockdown for 76 ish days, Which means that we probably back beginning of June.

by Anonymousreply 472April 9, 2020 3:51 PM

[quote]R468 I've never heard anyone refer to themselves as an Angeleno out loud.

When I got my first apartment in WH, my friend from Venice said, “You’re a proper Angeleno now!”

I think it’s mostly used in kind of a jokey way... but it is used.

by Anonymousreply 473April 9, 2020 3:57 PM

Yeah, people referring to themselves as Angelenos is rare. People usually just say they're "from LA."

More rain today and tomorrow! Good! As far as I'm concerned, we can have on-again, off-again rain until the end of May so it can keep more people home and off the streets. Of course, too much rain provides other seasonal problems -- mudslides, flooded streets in some places...

by Anonymousreply 474April 9, 2020 7:54 PM

If there is something Angelenos despise more than fire is cloudy rainy days. You would think it was raining acid so they stay inside.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 475April 9, 2020 8:06 PM

R475, haha, yes. But we have constant tug of war with drought -- and now pandemic -- to contend with, so they can deal with it. Stay dry and stay inside, bitches!

by Anonymousreply 476April 9, 2020 8:10 PM

I love the rain! I wish during the summer we would have two days of rain a week here. I love how the hills get so green.

by Anonymousreply 477April 9, 2020 8:49 PM

[quote]I just ran to Ralphs (with a mask) and was surprised how many old people weren't wearing any.

Where are they expected to get them? Amazon hasn't had any for a month and most oldsters don't have etsy accounts.

[quote]They olds don't care if they get infect or who they infect. The logical conclusion of the boomer.

Some of the olds aren't Boomers, who were born after 1946. Many of the Silent Generation are still around. I live with one, and he's fucking clueless about basic hygiene.

by Anonymousreply 478April 9, 2020 8:53 PM

The Silents are the 75+ and couldn't give a shit about masks and social distancing.

by Anonymousreply 479April 9, 2020 8:59 PM

Make your own with a handkerchief or bandana. I have 10 of the N95's which I will cover with a bandana. I also made a mask with a bandana.

by Anonymousreply 480April 9, 2020 9:27 PM

Woman waiting in line to get into the supermarket doing her cardio workout. IN LINE. Wearing yoga pants. I wanted to slap her.

by Anonymousreply 481April 10, 2020 3:37 PM

Does anyone have any intel on when the safer at home might end? Are we looking April 30th/May 1 or do you think LA will extend it? On one hand, it looks like the numbers increase daily, but on the other California has been the exemplary state, emphasized by Trump of all people. My neighborhood takes it very seriously, but I know that varies. Is anyone friends with cops, people at city hall, who might have some tea? I'm trying to figure out my strategy to keep work afloat but don't want to start spending marketing dollars until we are about 2 weeks from the end, which theoretically is coming up.

by Anonymousreply 482April 10, 2020 5:08 PM

r482 Eric Garcetti has already indicated the Safer at Home order will last into May.

I suspect it will go beyond that, but that's just my gut feeling.

Wuhan, China was on a much stricter lockdown for 76 days. They just lifted that lockdown on Wednesday and during his Thursday briefing, Garcetti said it was already looking like that was too soon. Garcetti indicated he will let science guide him on when it might be safe to lift it.

by Anonymousreply 483April 10, 2020 5:16 PM

June it is then.

by Anonymousreply 484April 10, 2020 5:23 PM

Thank you, R483. I can handle the lockdown, but I think if I had a date I could just relax more and go with the flow. I am trying to do anyway, which is all anyone can do. This is really helpful info!

by Anonymousreply 485April 10, 2020 5:29 PM

I just got back from Ralphs in WLA and EVERYONE had face coverings. Some had masks, some had scarves, but ALL had something on. They were also being very cautious about spacing and the vast majority also had gloves on. Lots of toilet paper and paper towels as well. Most surprising was there was a lot of laughing. People felt lighter and more understanding of the situation. People were stocking up but the panic buying seems to have greatly subsided.

by Anonymousreply 486April 10, 2020 5:30 PM

The Ralphs on Olympic & Barrington? They have stocked shelves of TP & paper towels? How was the crowd?

by Anonymousreply 487April 10, 2020 5:39 PM

[Quote] Well Wuhan was on lockdown for 76 ish days, Which means that we probably back beginning of June.

IT WILL BE INTERESTING TO SEE WHAT HAPPENS NOW THAT WUHAN IS BACK OPEN. I GUESS WE'LL SEE BY LATE NEXT WEEK THE OUTCOME.

by Anonymousreply 488April 10, 2020 5:44 PM

r469, I'll let you know if that happens. Heading out for my walk today.

by Anonymousreply 489April 10, 2020 5:44 PM

If you make it back that is, r489.

by Anonymousreply 490April 10, 2020 5:47 PM

r488, BILL TAYLOR, IS THAT YOU??

by Anonymousreply 491April 10, 2020 5:48 PM

[Quote] BILL TAYLOR, IS THAT YOU??

No. I didn't realize I had caps on and I hit "post." Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 492April 10, 2020 5:55 PM

r490, for real that is it? lame.

by Anonymousreply 493April 10, 2020 5:59 PM

r493, Mary.

by Anonymousreply 494April 10, 2020 6:01 PM

[quote]EVERYONE had face coverings.

That's because its now the law. Every must have face covering if they go out in public. You can be fined for not wearing a mask and stores can deny you entry.

by Anonymousreply 495April 10, 2020 6:05 PM

R495, as you know, Angelenos are not great about complying with laws.

by Anonymousreply 496April 10, 2020 6:13 PM

Millions of dollars spent on lip injections, chin implants, nosejobs, botox and filler PISSED AWAY!!!

by Anonymousreply 497April 10, 2020 6:17 PM

What's with LA joggers? So fucking entitled. They're almost as bad as cyclists.

by Anonymousreply 498April 10, 2020 6:35 PM

r482 L.A. County stay-at-home order could last into summer; more social distancing essential, officials say

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 499April 10, 2020 8:35 PM

LA County safer at home extended until May 15th

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500April 10, 2020 8:48 PM

I couldn't find eggs in the gayborhood. Some queen must be doing a Steel Magnolias reenactment this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 501April 10, 2020 9:12 PM

Norms is giving away 30 eggs with a $10 purchase.

by Anonymousreply 502April 10, 2020 9:58 PM

Hopefully heterosexual couples and their children will stay home more.

by Anonymousreply 503April 10, 2020 10:12 PM

I feel really fucking lucky to live somewhere I can order most of my groceries from neighborhood restaurants and get no contact pickup or delivery. I hate going to the store in normal times and I would much rather give what money I have left to help these restaurants. Is anyone else doing this? Fuck those petri dish chain stores and waiting a goddamn hour to get into Trader Joe’s!

by Anonymousreply 504April 10, 2020 10:13 PM

Some friends lost power.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 505April 10, 2020 10:35 PM

If you're in LA County, enter a few random streets within a mile of where you are and you'll probably find out a film location, infamous event or a former celebrity home nearby you didn't know about

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506April 10, 2020 10:47 PM

Stopped by Rite Aid in Studio City to pick up some dog treats and sundries. Everyone was wearing masks and following the markings on the floor while in line for the cashiers. Very good. This was not the case a couple of days ago when I stopped by the 99 cent store in NoHo looking for toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 507April 10, 2020 11:25 PM

Yo! Palm Springers! Stay inside!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508April 11, 2020 1:07 AM

Andrew Cuomo thanked us.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509April 11, 2020 1:29 AM

Studio city residents are much better behaved than NoHo residents!

by Anonymousreply 510April 11, 2020 5:40 AM

How's everyone doing?

by Anonymousreply 511April 13, 2020 1:24 AM

I sat in my cars which is the safest place outside my home. Maybe 50 people came by and 80% didn't have masks on. No jogger had one on. And the bizarre thing was families that walked by the parents had masks on but not one kid did. Weird!

by Anonymousreply 512April 13, 2020 1:29 AM

A large percentage of people in Indio seem to be wearing masks.

by Anonymousreply 513April 13, 2020 5:26 AM

Today I saw two whores having sex in an alley. Don't worry, they were wearing masks.

by Anonymousreply 514April 13, 2020 5:29 AM

Today I saw two whores having sex in an alley. Don't worry, they were wearing masks.

by Anonymousreply 515April 13, 2020 5:29 AM

Stay classy, Bakersfield!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516April 13, 2020 5:38 AM

It's an Easter miracle!

[quote]Easter brings 31 new coronavirus deaths in L.A. County, the largest single-day total yet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 517April 13, 2020 5:40 AM

^^^ They are complying in Venice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 518April 13, 2020 6:27 AM

Dummies rejoice!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519April 13, 2020 6:33 PM

Has anybody received their stimulus check?

by Anonymousreply 520April 15, 2020 12:16 AM

R520, The payment has been sitting in "Pending" status in my credit union checking account for the past 2 days. I don't know why the delay.

by Anonymousreply 521April 15, 2020 12:22 AM

I haven't gotten even that yet. Nada. Zilch. Zip. I'm afraid I'm not going to get anything.

by Anonymousreply 522April 15, 2020 12:39 AM

Since I always owe I would imagine I won't receive the check for several months.

by Anonymousreply 523April 15, 2020 3:35 AM

It is supposed to take several weeks for all of them to be sent, r522, even by automatic deposit. Mail out checks don't even go out until later in the week. They're supposedly starting with the lowest earners each time and working their way up.

by Anonymousreply 524April 15, 2020 4:27 AM

Follow up interview two weeks later with the Korean doctor which led to the CDC recommending everyone wear masks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 525April 15, 2020 5:29 AM

Beautiful weather today. I hope this doesn't seduce people into going out more...

by Anonymousreply 526April 15, 2020 5:36 AM

More than 150 attend illegal California nightclub

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 527April 15, 2020 5:41 AM

just received 2400$!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 528April 15, 2020 6:57 PM

I just moved to LA from NYC last week.

Very poor timing on my part. Stuck in an apartment in West Hollywood, knowing very few people and even so, I can't see them.

I'm very bored. This was all probably a mistake.

by Anonymousreply 529April 15, 2020 9:08 PM

r529, I would think you'd be safer from the virus in WeHo than NYC. Can you at least go for walks and explore the neighborhoods while wearing a mask?

by Anonymousreply 530April 16, 2020 1:40 AM

r530, WeHo and the very adjacent Melrose (which is part of WeHo) area have the #7 and #2 spots in Corona cases:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 531April 16, 2020 1:53 AM

My stimulus check was directed deposited into my account early this morning.

by Anonymousreply 532April 16, 2020 4:47 AM

r531, #7 and #2 within LA county, correct? I would think that's still better than the hotbeds of NY.

by Anonymousreply 533April 16, 2020 4:57 AM

Wednesday, April 15 numbers:

10,496 cases, 402 deaths

Areas with Top 25 areas with the highest concentration of cases per 100,000 people are listed below. Doing it per 100,000 people allows for the proportional comparison of cities/neighborhoods of different sizes. So, the numbers below will be different from what has been posted previously.

1. Little Armenia – 585.67

2. Crestview – 378.25

3. Hancock Park – 287.58

4. West Hollywood – 284.16

5. Melrose – 276.72

6. Palos Verdes Estates – 266.23

7. Bel Air – 249.14

8. Vermont Square – 236.08

9. Carthay – 229.76

10. Beverly Hills – 225.96

11. Victoria Park – 214.31

12. Century City – 211.07

13. Glassell Park – 208.83

14. Beverly Crest – 207.58

15. Adams-Normandie – 195.07

16. Reseda Ranch – 194.13

17. Silverlake – 190.55

18. South Carthay – 188.77

19. Country Club Park – 184.78

20. West Adams – 184.58

21. East Hollywood – 184.38

22. Brentwood – 184.14

23. Marina Peninsula – 183.49

24. Hollywood – 181.67

25. Bell – 176.15

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534April 16, 2020 5:38 AM

dammit; I live between Melrose and Hancock Park; more the Fairfax area.

I'm never going out again.

by Anonymousreply 535April 16, 2020 5:00 PM

My sister lost another co-worker today. She was in her 50s. That's two down. The other two who tested positive have recovered.

And these clowns who think we're ready to reopen the country... We aren't safe yet.

by Anonymousreply 536April 16, 2020 11:21 PM

Don't know if this was posted yet, but worth reading! I'm proud of us despite the pain!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 537April 16, 2020 11:29 PM

Can't read it sans subscription, r537

by Anonymousreply 538April 16, 2020 11:31 PM

My friend's dad just died. He was 55 and started showing symptoms 10 days ago. Another stat for K Town. ☹

Another friend's husband has COPD but only had a moderate case of COVID19. We think his meds for the pre-existing condition kept his airways open. He's in the count for Caonga Park.

It's creepy when you know the names and faces for even some of those numbers.

by Anonymousreply 539April 17, 2020 12:00 AM

r539- he's also used to having a low grade oxygen depletion and probably monitors his levels like a mofo.

by Anonymousreply 540April 17, 2020 1:04 AM

I don't if he really monitors anything. My friend says he just takes 2 inhalors and some oral medication- he doesn't even have a CPAP machine.

by Anonymousreply 541April 17, 2020 1:23 AM

Who the hell are you talking to R541?

by Anonymousreply 542April 17, 2020 2:58 AM

To r540, who os talking to me in r539.

by Anonymousreply 543April 17, 2020 3:16 AM

R536 where does your sister work? Or what kind of work does she do?

by Anonymousreply 544April 17, 2020 7:05 AM

Coronavirus strikes California hospital workers hard, including 175 cases at UCLA alone

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 545April 17, 2020 2:50 PM

R544, she works in Sales at a parts distributing company. I won't say which and what parts.

by Anonymousreply 546April 17, 2020 3:02 PM

A neighbor a few house down died this week. He was 62 with no health issues. Felt sick last Sat and was died by this past Tues.

by Anonymousreply 547April 17, 2020 6:16 PM

r531 Thanks Debbie Downer. People really need to stop doing what you're doing. It's one thing for an epidemiologist to look at neighborhoods. It's useless for people like you. And what you did there is dangerous. Because it makes people think certain areas are more infectious than others. And that leads to a false sense of safety in areas that don't have high reported numbers. These reports are all about testing. Weho is filled with rich people. They get tested. Doesn't mean there are more infections there.

by Anonymousreply 548April 23, 2020 4:49 PM

r548, would you consider the cities of Glendale and Palmdale a rich cities? Because they've been consistently #1 and #2.

by Anonymousreply 549April 23, 2020 4:54 PM

Glendale is certainly much richer than Palmdale, which is white trash meth central.

by Anonymousreply 550April 23, 2020 5:21 PM

California has had 1,438 confirmed COVID deaths; LA County has had 732, so we're over-represented. I guess that's to be expected, given the density of the population in many areas.

by Anonymousreply 551April 23, 2020 5:22 PM

Glendale is densely populated, with many trendy shopping centers and restaurants for people to mix and mingle and spread their germs. It also has a large Armenian population, usually with sons, wives, and all their children and several closely knit generations living in one house or family compound.

Palmdale, I've never been there. Why so many cases?

by Anonymousreply 552April 23, 2020 9:18 PM

Well it's pretty much the meth capital of California...see Breaking Bad. Also very red neck.

by Anonymousreply 553April 23, 2020 9:22 PM

COVID just became the #1 cause of death in LA County.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 554April 23, 2020 9:29 PM

Yesterday LA is the 1st major city to offer free testing to everyone.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 555May 1, 2020 12:27 AM

So the “how you doin” poster got red tagged?

What’s the world coming to?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 556May 1, 2020 12:34 AM

I'm starting to get antsy with the nice weather. I'm also so horny. I have not sex since late February, but I am doing my part. I hope this does not go beyond the 15th.

by Anonymousreply 557May 1, 2020 1:02 AM

[quote] I have not sex since late February

Me neither.

February of 1980, that is.

by Anonymousreply 558May 1, 2020 2:17 AM

Gav-Gav's plans for reopening the state. They can do whatever they want. I'm staying home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559May 1, 2020 2:19 AM

Can we just forego summer temperatures this summer and stick to this lovely 79/80 degree weather until Fall?

by Anonymousreply 560May 1, 2020 4:17 PM

Newsom has been a brilliant leader thus far... I trust him.

If he says some parts of California can open in a few weeks, I trust his judgement.

by Anonymousreply 561May 1, 2020 4:33 PM

I like that Newsom seems to be taking a rational approach and is really focused on data as part of that. There is such a striking difference in his approach vs that of the orange circus freak in the White House.

by Anonymousreply 562May 16, 2020 9:08 PM

7 weeks away from tentative wider reopening

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 563May 19, 2020 11:02 PM

I don't care. I'm staying home.

by Anonymousreply 564May 19, 2020 11:05 PM

You're free to do that R564. I think many people will choose to stay home as much and as long as possible. I will be re-joining the world outside my home.

Wishing you good health R564. Stay safe.

by Anonymousreply 565May 19, 2020 11:48 PM

I got an email from a restaurant (in LA County) saying their dining room was opening. From everything I've read, this is not allowed under the current order. Has anyone heard otherwise?

by Anonymousreply 566May 25, 2020 3:35 PM

Any idea when nail and hair salons might start opening?

by Anonymousreply 567May 26, 2020 3:58 AM

or gyms???

by Anonymousreply 568May 26, 2020 7:27 AM

or gyms???

by Anonymousreply 569May 26, 2020 7:27 AM

or gyms???

by Anonymousreply 570May 26, 2020 2:38 PM

We have 65 miles of hiking trails and how many parks. Go outside and exercise.

by Anonymousreply 571May 26, 2020 4:46 PM

I got a retraction email from that restaurant a few hours later. Guess someone called them on it.

by Anonymousreply 572May 26, 2020 5:40 PM

r567 r568 Everything you need to know about reopening is here.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573May 26, 2020 5:42 PM

I wonder if Slammer will stay in business.

by Anonymousreply 574May 26, 2020 8:35 PM

I got in the habit of getting my nails down; it's great.

But I'm not sure I'll go back.

Same with the gym; it's filled with assholes anyway.

by Anonymousreply 575May 28, 2020 2:15 AM

Meanwhile, on the 101 freeway downtown ...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 576May 28, 2020 4:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!