Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Lesbian academics harassed with Title IX complaints by gay acquaintance desperate for job

[quote] When the university told my wife about the sexual-harassment complaints against her, we knew they weren’t true. We had no idea how strange the truth really was.

The story really isn't as bizarre as she makes it though. I've heard of pettier and stranger revenge stories (fictional as they may be).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101May 24, 2020 3:25 PM

It's pretty out there. The most bizarre thing about it was that they were ultimately able to prove this guy faked the complaints and settled with him (though she lost the job, ultimately, as did he).

by Anonymousreply 1March 19, 2020 10:13 PM

I seem to remember Datalounge vilifying this woman at the time. With great misogynous zeal.

by Anonymousreply 2March 19, 2020 10:20 PM

Wow! What a story.

The only part I somehow missed was how the in-person meeting with "Jessica" and Melanie went. I pictured "J" showing up in drag! But it seemed to skip over that event, and only reveal Marta's new concern that "Jessica" had claimed she visited her at her apartment the previous Monday, after their meeting with Melanie.

WHO showed up at that meeting as "Jessica?" Or was the meeting canceled?

by Anonymousreply 3March 19, 2020 11:08 PM

R2 Do you have a link to a thread? Or can someone find it?

by Anonymousreply 4March 19, 2020 11:09 PM

Can anyone figure out the "J's" real name?

by Anonymousreply 5March 19, 2020 11:10 PM

Has Reddit uncovered who "J" is yet?

If not... it's up to Datalounge.

by Anonymousreply 6March 19, 2020 11:11 PM

Lesbians and gay men ain't never gotten along, and ain't never gonna!

by Anonymousreply 7March 19, 2020 11:12 PM

OP is "J"

by Anonymousreply 8March 19, 2020 11:12 PM

It should not be that hard.

Just check out the legal documents or look at who was hired by U of M for Creative Nonfiction three years ago.

by Anonymousreply 9March 19, 2020 11:17 PM

Would it kill them to do something with their hair and wear nice clean shirts if they're getting their picture taken for the paper?

by Anonymousreply 10March 19, 2020 11:36 PM

^^^It just might.

by Anonymousreply 11March 19, 2020 11:43 PM

R10 = "J"

by Anonymousreply 12March 19, 2020 11:48 PM

R1 I was expecting something else from the first few paragraphs, so I was surprised to find that obvious conclusion once she introduced J (that he did it because he wanted the job) was the correct one. But it is indeed not what I expected from just the byline; I expected something involving homophobia or shit-stirring students.

by Anonymousreply 13March 20, 2020 12:23 AM

R4, I don’t recall reading about this on DL before. Other academic drama, sure, but not this.

by Anonymousreply 14March 20, 2020 12:29 AM

There was a similar case, IIRC, in Cambridge, but I can't remember what happened. A law school professor at Harvard who became victim to a con artist.

by Anonymousreply 15March 20, 2020 1:11 AM

What a horrible experience for them. I hope karma catches up with “J” as he is a psychopath!

by Anonymousreply 16March 20, 2020 1:15 AM

R15 Yes, the recent Bruce Hay scandal at Cambridge. I saw similarities too. Except the perpetrators and victims were inverted here, sort of.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 20, 2020 1:37 AM

J is a renowned author!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 20, 2020 1:40 AM

R17 What lesbian has sex with a man and claims that he is her one exception? Should have been a sign that she was full of shit. And that's not even getting into the MTF partner.

by Anonymousreply 19March 20, 2020 3:20 PM

Behind a paywall ... NYT has lifted paywall restrictions for everything related to Coronavirus but don’t they know lesbian professor sex drama stories are just as important???

by Anonymousreply 20March 20, 2020 3:26 PM

R2: are you referring to the Avital Ronell saga?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 20, 2020 3:32 PM

The one with eyeglasses looks like someone cut her hair with gardening shears.

by Anonymousreply 22March 20, 2020 3:36 PM

Well, beauty and barber shops are closed, under Shelter In Place guidelines....

by Anonymousreply 23March 20, 2020 3:54 PM

Is that true for their state? They don't live in California.

by Anonymousreply 24March 20, 2020 3:56 PM

Any identiy info turn up on "J" in the case?

by Anonymousreply 25March 20, 2020 3:58 PM

Talia’s sort of a jerk, but she’s right about this

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 20, 2020 3:58 PM

I can't demonize this guy because I've not heard his side of the story.

by Anonymousreply 27March 20, 2020 4:02 PM

R27 Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. Based on what she and Marta write he sounds psychotic. It's probably accurate and the story is true. But we've heard zero from this guy and know nothing about him. In this #metoo era, how many times to we have to learn the lesson of be wary of final judgement until you've heard all sides.

Plus, on thing I thought of: now that this has become a NYTimes story. I wonder if "J", based on his patterns of behavior laid out in their story, just uses this to take it to a whole other level of lying and bizarre allegations?

by Anonymousreply 28March 20, 2020 4:09 PM

Gay men really hate women -- even lesbians.

I've been on DL long enough to know.

by Anonymousreply 29March 20, 2020 4:30 PM

I can't believe Dataloungers haven't uncovered "J" yet. I'm just picturing what this queen looks like in my mind!

by Anonymousreply 30March 21, 2020 2:27 PM

Well I just did a quick search on Reddit and Twitter. I'm a bit of a novice but usually uncover *something.* Like, evidence of other people looking. Anyone else?

R9 claims "Just check out the legal documents or look at who was hired by U of M for Creative Nonfiction three years ago."

by Anonymousreply 31March 21, 2020 2:35 PM

I recommend digging through the comments sections of the articles written about the case as a starting point.

by Anonymousreply 32March 21, 2020 2:39 PM

Talia Levin on Twitter claims to have found him. See Twitter thread...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 21, 2020 3:03 PM

Oh dear!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 21, 2020 3:06 PM

"J's" name is Duane Gilson

by Anonymousreply 35March 21, 2020 3:07 PM

This is absolutely horrifying. Perpetuating stereotypes of queer folks as sexual predators and simultaneously reinforcing the narrative that title IX complaints are all made up. Fuck this guy.

by Anonymousreply 36March 21, 2020 3:12 PM

Ugh, he looks like the worst kind of queen

by Anonymousreply 37March 21, 2020 3:57 PM

I hate gays who make "Tina Fey" face in every photo. We can see you're fat or you have a wonky eye. Squinching your face up like Popeye or rolling your eyes to the side can't hide that shit as well as you think.

by Anonymousreply 38March 21, 2020 4:18 PM

Honestly, he looks humble, quirky and personable in that photo. And is definitely comfortable, low-baggage 5.

The perfect cover!

by Anonymousreply 39March 21, 2020 7:21 PM

Reading that article made me feel sick to my stomach.

That guy is an absolute piece of shit. Way to make things harder for people who really are sexually harassed.

by Anonymousreply 40March 21, 2020 7:23 PM

Here is a photo of Duane Gilson from an interview, "5 Things We Can Each Do Help Solve The Loneliness Epidemic." He looks like a kind neighbor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 21, 2020 7:25 PM

Actually, I should have just posted the article. Oops, sorry.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 21, 2020 7:26 PM

This guy is pure evil. There should be prison time for this kind of thing!

by Anonymousreply 43March 21, 2020 7:27 PM

A PhD from George Washington and he thinks he'entitled to a job at a good school? He's lucky to have gotten one at MCLA--God knows, he probably thinks he's Williams material. Good luck getting tenure--this kind of thing, if proven, is usually a career ender. I noticed he has tried to remove access to him on the Internet. His days are numbered and he knows it. An MFA from Chatham? Why bother.

by Anonymousreply 44March 21, 2020 7:43 PM

love love lesbians. They look like all the lesbians I knew in the 80s. The look never veers from 40 years ago. They're good that way.

by Anonymousreply 45March 21, 2020 7:48 PM

It's the lack of makeup; hairstyle is nondescript. Devoid of artifice. Love lesbians so much.

by Anonymousreply 46March 21, 2020 7:50 PM

LOL at the people saying we need to hear both sides. No, we don't, because literally nothing justifies what he did. They caught him. They have the phone number he used to verify the anonymous email addresses from which he sent the false complaints. The number was his number, the one he used to text the woman asking if she'd heard anything about the job. Bigger LOL to the way he tried to get in front of it by claiming a woman was obsessed with him, broke into his house, and trolled one of his colleagues. Because that's what people obsessed with you do - troll other people.

by Anonymousreply 47March 21, 2020 8:01 PM

If you ever meet a guy with a chest tattoo of a typewriter...run!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48March 21, 2020 8:37 PM

R48 Agreed. It's more accurate than Phrenology!

by Anonymousreply 49March 21, 2020 8:44 PM

[quote]R45 love love lesbians. They look like all the lesbians I knew in the 80s. The look never veers from 40 years ago. They're good that way.

My best friends are lesbians. They can cut to the chase. And they’ll help you build a glass-fronted, rock solid bookshelf for your vintage Madam Alexander dolls of the world collection in 2 hours.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 21, 2020 8:50 PM

R50 AND will not judge you for having dolls--even though they have no interest in them themselves!

by Anonymousreply 51March 21, 2020 9:03 PM

Gawker would have DESTROYED this guy.

by Anonymousreply 52March 21, 2020 9:10 PM

Duane is pals with Colby Keller. @Dgilson is Duane’s old twitter handle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 21, 2020 11:38 PM

Duane on piss play.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 21, 2020 11:39 PM

Boy, he's just shamelessly going for the "Truman Capote thing" at R48, isn't he? LOL.

Now, take a look at this guy's story:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 21, 2020 11:40 PM

More Colby and Duane.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56March 21, 2020 11:40 PM

R54. God, that offensive--offensively pretentious, self-satisfied, and twee. The lesbians should send that to all of his administrators, colleagues, and students. Who cares about his penchant for piss play? It's the awfulness of his writing that makes him unfit to teach writing at any level, from preschool to postgrad!

by Anonymousreply 57March 21, 2020 11:56 PM

From R54: "It’s unfortunate that my desire to see others piss, or to be pissed upon, or to drink the piss of a beloved, is considered a human deviation, not an act of love. Oh well. Like David, I soldier on."

I don't know about you, but I'm dabbing tears from my eyes. Here we are celebrating doctors and nurses and grocery-store workers while this brave urination warrior goes virtually unnoticed!

"...and lifted a cup of his urine to my lips and bade me to sip."

Has the Bard of Avon himself been resurrected? To pee, or not to pee: that is the question.

"...a cleansing of both the remnants of sex and of the metaphysical sorrow that consumed me that day."

Dude, just be a piss freak. No need to justify it with "metaphysical sorrow." Also, no need to broadcast it to the whole world when you are, you know, a professor desperately trying to move up the academic ladder.

"Have I gone too far?"

Absolutely.

by Anonymousreply 58March 22, 2020 12:35 AM

R55 That guy is a fucking attention whore who wants in on the story. He knew Duane was a psychopath. He didn't care. He never told the Duane to stop contacting him. He never spoke up. He wasn't afraid of him nor did he fear retribution. He never thought Duana was a threat. Until now, of course, because now he can use the story to get attention.

by Anonymousreply 59March 22, 2020 1:32 AM

Uh, sorry, R59, but there seems to be quite a pattern here... The lesbians proved he was guilty as sin in that case, so why wouldn't I believe this guy, too?

by Anonymousreply 60March 22, 2020 2:15 AM

R60 I didn't say I don't believe his story. I do. I justdon't think he was slightly bothered by Duane's behavior and is hopping on the pile on to get attention.

by Anonymousreply 61March 22, 2020 10:15 AM

R57? Don't get me wrong - I hate this Duane guy and wish he would drop dead. But if you can't come up with a better critique than "awfulness" you have no business criticizing anyone else's writing.

by Anonymousreply 62March 22, 2020 12:47 PM

The quotes R57 provided were truly awful, though.

by Anonymousreply 63March 22, 2020 12:48 PM

That’s really sinister.

by Anonymousreply 64March 22, 2020 1:51 PM

This guy went to a lot of trouble. I suppose the teaching position was worth it? But it makes me wonder if he had some sort of other beef with these two besides competition. In the article she states they've known each other for a long time. If not, he's just demented.

by Anonymousreply 65March 22, 2020 2:07 PM

Most academics are insane. Both too little education and too much education make you nuts.

by Anonymousreply 66March 22, 2020 2:18 PM

Won't the lesbians be in trouble now for breaking their settlement agreement that they weren't allowed to named him? Yes, they didn't actually give his name, but they made it very easy to figure out who he was.

by Anonymousreply 67March 22, 2020 2:51 PM

R67 Interesting, I don't know. But I doubt it. My impression is they seem to more or less have their act together with legal stuff. I imagine they had lawyers read the article before it was published.

by Anonymousreply 68March 22, 2020 2:59 PM

Too paraphrase a famous quote, "Academics be crazy ". I would like a Lifetime movie about this whole melodrama. In order to maintain social distancing, they can film the actors separately and edit them together. It won't look any more awkward or weird than any other Lifetime film. My casting suggestions would be Maura Tierney and Cynthia Nixon for the les professors and Simon Pegg for the stalker.

by Anonymousreply 69March 22, 2020 3:00 PM

R67, the trouble with NDAs is that to sue for violation, you have to make a deposition and make the information you are trying to conceal part of the public record.

That and the cost of suing these women in a case in which the plaintiff does not have a slam dunk, will be enough to keep him from taking legal action.

The problem with suing over an NDA is that the plaintiff has more to lose than the defendant.

by Anonymousreply 70March 22, 2020 3:07 PM

R65 Duane Gilson was also surprisingly sloppy.

According to this woman's article they were able to trace the emailed anonymous tips from three different aliases to a single internet provider, which they ultimately had to hand over. And there he was! He did it all on his own computer? From his own internet account?

If I did something like this (knock on wood) I would be so paranoid and careful about how I did it. I'd use burner phones, travel to other random towns to use computers in libraries where I was sure there were no security cameras, do absolutley nothing related to any of it on any computer or phone of mine, make sure I never touch nothing related to the crime, use gloves, wear fake mustaches, dress in drag. LOL

I'll be willing to bet his personal computer(s) search history was loaded with "how to" google searches about anonymous tips and Title IX research and all the deans and offices and contacts and reddit threads. Sloppy!

by Anonymousreply 71March 22, 2020 3:09 PM

R69 Yes! Simon Peg!

Or maybe Cole Escola, to make it extra demented (actually, Escola could play one of the lesbians too)

by Anonymousreply 72March 22, 2020 3:11 PM

Simon Peg to play the stalkers grandpa.

Way too old to be an early career academic.

by Anonymousreply 73March 22, 2020 3:22 PM

[quote]R67 Won't the lesbians be in trouble now for breaking their settlement agreement that they weren't allowed to named him? Yes, they didn't actually give his name, but they made it very easy to figure out who he was.

[quote]R70 The problem with suing over an NDA is that the plaintiff has more to lose than the defendant.

Here there is no Non Disclosure Agreement, in that the settlement allows all parties to publicly discuss the facts as long as they themselves do not reveal “J”s identity by name.

She mentions this near the end of the article.

by Anonymousreply 74March 22, 2020 3:40 PM

Just by looking at the pic, I can CONFIRM they're lesbians.

by Anonymousreply 75March 22, 2020 3:43 PM

Maybe Duane Gilson and Joey Gugliemelli (Sherry Pie) can get together in prison and exchange grifting/stalking tips.

by Anonymousreply 76March 22, 2020 4:43 PM

My impression is that it wasn't only the job. He resented these women for their cozy family life; he wanted to destroy that as much as anything else.

by Anonymousreply 77March 22, 2020 4:57 PM

Yes, R74. That is the Non-Disclosure Agreement. It is a clause in the settlement that states they cannot reveal Duane's name.

If he wants to sue them for revealing it, Duane will likely make his name public himself---and will probably spend more on legal fees than he would recover.

This is why non-disclosure agreements made with people who are not super rich--and why NDA with such narrow terms as this one---are not very effective.

by Anonymousreply 78March 22, 2020 7:02 PM

[quote]R70 That is the Non-Disclosure Agreement. It is a clause in the settlement that states they cannot reveal Duane's name.

Right. But most often an agreement like that is very sweeping, and you can’t talk about the events that lead up to it at all. Here there’s just 1 thing they can’t disclose; the events themselves aren’t being put off limits.

by Anonymousreply 79March 22, 2020 7:17 PM

A little bit of makeup would do wonders for these mannish lesbians

by Anonymousreply 80March 22, 2020 7:48 PM

Why did they hire a lawyer? Why not hire a private investigator with IT knowledge? A former spy, like Christopher Steele. Or someone from a company like Cambridge analytica

by Anonymousreply 81March 22, 2020 8:11 PM

They hired a lawyer because one of them was being investigated by their employer, and they had questions going forward.

by Anonymousreply 82March 23, 2020 4:04 AM

Does Duane Gilson have any social media presence at all left? I saw one online article had a giant "Remove this article the author is a criminal blah blah" thing at the top (huh?). I wonder if he'll invent another fake byline.

by Anonymousreply 83March 23, 2020 12:34 PM

????

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 23, 2020 12:34 PM

“Before you embark on a journey of revenge, dig two graves.”

by Anonymousreply 85March 23, 2020 12:35 PM

R7 is Mother Mucca.

by Anonymousreply 86March 23, 2020 1:00 PM

Gilson seems to have no academic job these days. He's gone from MCLA (which is a little town in the Berkshires, not LA) and it looks like he may have spent 5 minutes at Texas Tech. Maybe he's on the road with Colby. I have to admit the acquaintanceship with Colby Keller made this more interesting and oddly, makes his motives both more twisted and understandable. I guess the companionship of Calvin, histrusty lab mix has never been enough.

by Anonymousreply 87March 23, 2020 1:50 PM

R87 Yes. It's another odd layer.

I'd love to see a Fatal Attraction/Misery-esque film adaptation based on this story.

by Anonymousreply 88March 23, 2020 2:41 PM

Of course he's a firecrotch. OF COURSE he is.

by Anonymousreply 89March 23, 2020 3:14 PM

R87

What his motives got to do with Colby?

by Anonymousreply 90March 23, 2020 3:18 PM

Seriously, every ginger I’ve known comes with a giant chip on their shoulder.

by Anonymousreply 91March 23, 2020 3:23 PM

Was just scrolling and had to stop and saying those are two of the dykiest faces ever.

by Anonymousreply 92March 23, 2020 3:26 PM

It's because they fug, r91.

by Anonymousreply 93March 23, 2020 4:20 PM

Any recent info on this weird case?

by Anonymousreply 94March 28, 2020 4:04 PM

Duane Gilson should film everything he's doing and really ramp-up the insanity, then maybe Netflix will make a docu-series about him, a la Tiger King.

by Anonymousreply 95March 28, 2020 4:06 PM

This tread popped up a while back on the "DC Urban Moms" message board:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96March 28, 2020 4:07 PM

It’s scary to think about how if the false accuser had been just a bit more tech-savvy he would have gotten away with it.

by Anonymousreply 97March 28, 2020 4:45 PM

R48 "I'll email you the unpublished manuscript of my new screenplay. It's very Joycean you'll love it "

by Anonymousreply 98March 28, 2020 8:32 PM

Any new info on this, or Duane Gilson?

by Anonymousreply 99May 24, 2020 2:40 PM

Gilson's the co-author lf this drivel. Wonder how he knows Fotis?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100May 24, 2020 3:23 PM

R95 I'd watch, with all the schadenfreude I could muster.

by Anonymousreply 101May 24, 2020 3:25 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!