Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Items left on the shelves...

Has anyone else noticed lately that certain items in the grocery store are NOT sold out? In some cases they are all that is left in that aisle. It made me laugh cause you have to wonder if the product sucks so bad that no one would want it, even in a possible apocalypse. Or it was deemed to have no use, or possibly just too expensive? For example, I noticed in the soup aisle there were still tons of campbell's soup cans even though all the other soup was sold out. In produce everything was gone except for mexican scallions and turnip greens. In dairy the milk, eggs and butter were gone, but there was plenty of yogurt. Almost all the olive oil was gone but there was lots of avocado oil and coconut oil. I wonder if the marketing departments of any of these companies are taking notice of this.

DLrs regale us with your tales of the things no one wants!

by Anonymousreply 425April 2, 2020 3:09 AM

Frozen chicken wings. All other frozen chicken sold out.

by Anonymousreply 1March 18, 2020 11:56 PM

The last three cans of beans the other night were Ducal brand refried black beans. I think they are the best! Obviously that is just me. I bought all three, and the last can of (original) Spam.

by Anonymousreply 2March 18, 2020 11:57 PM

I’m still not experiencing any of this. I go to a pretty big supermarket place and yes the canned goods section has a ton missing, and of course TP, but there are plenty of good things to get.

And I’m not hoarding/overstocking either I just go everyday to check have, and restocked on , and get what I need for that day and maybe some things for 2-3 days out.

Why the drama? Unless you just don’t have time to go more than once every week or two, but that’s not most of these people.

by Anonymousreply 3March 18, 2020 11:58 PM

Almost all the Ragu spaghetti sauce was left, and just a few of all others put together remained.

by Anonymousreply 4March 18, 2020 11:58 PM

R3, I think it is fun to see what's sold out (except for the TP aisle, fuck those people).

by Anonymousreply 5March 19, 2020 12:00 AM

Yes it seems no one wants to buy Progresso Pangolin Noodle soup

by Anonymousreply 6March 19, 2020 12:01 AM

Yeah, r4 Ragu sucks. I can see why.

by Anonymousreply 7March 19, 2020 12:02 AM

R1 Butchers in the UK used to throw chicken wings in the trash (or give then way free) when I was young, I was always surprised when they started to serve then in the 1980's/90's.

by Anonymousreply 8March 19, 2020 12:05 AM

R4 get the Rao’s!, they’re all really good.

by Anonymousreply 9March 19, 2020 12:05 AM

Oh yes R9 I am addicted to Rao's Marinara, which was, of course, sold out

by Anonymousreply 10March 19, 2020 12:07 AM

In every store all of the ground beef was sold out but there were still packs of these pre-made spicy meatballs.

by Anonymousreply 11March 19, 2020 12:07 AM

Lots and lots of condoms

by Anonymousreply 12March 19, 2020 12:07 AM

Overpriced artisanal organic pastas.

by Anonymousreply 13March 19, 2020 12:08 AM

I noticed Trader Joe's Reduced Guilt Mac & Cheese and the Carrot Spirals were fully stocked and nearly untouched when everything else around them was GONE.

by Anonymousreply 14March 19, 2020 12:08 AM

I love Rao's but I am currently poor and can not afford it! I have found that Muir Glen brand is good, not as good as Rao's but good enough and cheaper.

by Anonymousreply 15March 19, 2020 12:08 AM

I went to a state park with the dog today, and it was closed. A state park....where you rarely run into anyone at close range. Meanwhile, grocery stores are open , where the people are packed like sardines in the checkout lanes, and the staff has probably been infected ten times over.

Also, why would ANYONE be using reusable bags when they are walking petri dishes of infection?

by Anonymousreply 16March 19, 2020 12:09 AM

Meant to type r7 there, sorry!

by Anonymousreply 17March 19, 2020 12:10 AM

[quote] Also, why would ANYONE be using reusable bags when they are walking petri dishes of infection?

They're trying to force you to in NYC, R16.

by Anonymousreply 18March 19, 2020 12:11 AM

Speaking of, I have been staying home so I took the opportunity to wash my backpacks, briefcases, computer sleeves, and all my washable winter coats, my laundry sacks, my shopping sacks, etc.

by Anonymousreply 19March 19, 2020 12:12 AM

R16 well people need to buy food..

by Anonymousreply 20March 19, 2020 12:12 AM

Oh yeah R14, I forgot that the only thing in the frozen veg section was fake pasta made from beans and beets and whatnot.

by Anonymousreply 21March 19, 2020 12:12 AM

R18 Duane reads already changed back.

by Anonymousreply 22March 19, 2020 12:12 AM

Wholewheat pasta. Sitting there alone on the shelf. All the white pasta all gone.

by Anonymousreply 23March 19, 2020 12:13 AM

R16 Outside of China no Country has the Infrastructure to enforce a proper quarantine, we're all just delaying and hopefully spreading the inevitable deaths out over a longer period of time so that health services don't totally collapse.

by Anonymousreply 24March 19, 2020 12:15 AM

pineapple pizza

okra

by Anonymousreply 25March 19, 2020 12:16 AM

I needed eggs today. The entire egg section that normally has about 1000 or more plats of eggs at the ready was 99.9% empty. There were only 2 18 count plats of brown organic free range eggs left. When I opened them up to look at them I could see why. Several in both cases were broken so I just took whatever good ones I needed from one plat and replaced the broken ones in the other one until I had a full plat. I guess no one else was smart enough to think of that. But I've got enough eggs to last almost a month in the fridge now.

by Anonymousreply 26March 19, 2020 12:17 AM

[quote] okra

I always have at least 3 jars of pickled okra in my pantry at all times. I'm crazy for picked okra.

by Anonymousreply 27March 19, 2020 12:18 AM

My rural (Trumplandia) Safeway and Walmart have no eggs, and it looks like a bomb went off in each of them. Very little on the shelves.

We had our first case 2 weeks ago, and they are still buying...

by Anonymousreply 28March 19, 2020 12:19 AM

*Case=Covid-19, not eggs!

by Anonymousreply 29March 19, 2020 12:19 AM

The Walmart near me normally does restocking after the store has closed. Now they're restocking from the time the store opens until it closes. The central aisles all over the grocery section are stacked 6-8' high with boxes of product to go on the shelves.

Interestingly enough people are not buying those unrefrigerated microwave entrees that only take 1 minute in the microwave to cook, but the refrigerated ones like Lean Cuisine are all gone. So I picked up 10 of the meatless ones today. I've never had one, but if things get bad and I'm just not in the mood to cook I can pop one of them in the micro and make up a garden salad and have a meal ready in 5 minutes. Thank goodness the produce department is still fully stocked.

by Anonymousreply 30March 19, 2020 12:28 AM

There's plenty of cilantro & arugula available.

by Anonymousreply 31March 19, 2020 12:30 AM

There was pretty much zero bread (do some people just eat sandwiches all day?)

Hardly any eggs

Lots of soup was gone

A lit of cereal was gone

by Anonymousreply 32March 19, 2020 12:30 AM

I found it strange that the shelves containing the Environmentally friendly cleaning products wasn't touched. It was still fully stocked.

I even got a container of environmentally friendly wipes for $4.99 - 3 containers left on the shelf.

by Anonymousreply 33March 19, 2020 12:31 AM

Whoops, meant "a lot of cereal"

by Anonymousreply 34March 19, 2020 12:32 AM

[quote] I found it strange that the shelves containing the Environmentally friendly cleaning products wasn't touched.

Not sure about the other products, but no one wants the wipes because they have neither alcohol nor bleach. So they're about as useful against the virus as a wet paper towel.

by Anonymousreply 35March 19, 2020 12:34 AM

I went to my local Raley's, too tired to make the trip to Whole Foods and Costco, which are at the other ass end of town. Interestingly enough, most of the organic vegetables, dairy, and frozen foods were almost fully stocked. I guess people can't afford the higher prices of organics since they won't be working for the next month.

They were also restocking empty shelves throughout the store with beer. That made me laugh.

by Anonymousreply 36March 19, 2020 12:35 AM

Nobody is saying to bleach your hands, so the organic cleaning stuff should be fine.

by Anonymousreply 37March 19, 2020 12:36 AM

r32 When I was in the checkout line last Thursday the couple in front of me had a shit ton of bread in their cart. Also, about 20 rolls of mentos. I was like WTF with the mentos and figured they were putting the bread in the freezer.

by Anonymousreply 38March 19, 2020 12:37 AM

R37 are you retarded?

by Anonymousreply 39March 19, 2020 12:37 AM

I haven't been to the store in a few days. I'm scared.

by Anonymousreply 40March 19, 2020 12:38 AM

[quote] but no one wants the wipes because they have neither alcohol nor bleach.

It says on the label it is a botanical disinfectant made from essential oils that kills bacteria and viruses

by Anonymousreply 41March 19, 2020 12:38 AM

Also, a bird that doesn’t fly, but swims; and a Charlie in the box.

by Anonymousreply 42March 19, 2020 12:38 AM

R39 are you bleaching your hands?

by Anonymousreply 43March 19, 2020 12:40 AM

Carolina brand long grain jasmine rice blend. I was laughing at this today, because all other varieties of rice, including Minute Rice and Knorr brand rice blends were completely gone.

Hot dogs - yet almost all bread, including hot dog buns, are gone.

"Everything" flavored bagels, which I actually like, were one of the only things available in the bread aisle. Conveniently, lox/smoked salmon was still available and discounted, which I also love. So that was a win win.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 44March 19, 2020 12:40 AM

R41 That is just how stupid people are these days. High IQs and common sense will survive!

by Anonymousreply 45March 19, 2020 12:41 AM

Okaaaay then Mary, you trust that environmentally friendly shit.

by Anonymousreply 46March 19, 2020 12:52 AM

R43 I'm a heavy smoker and have regularly washed my hands with bleach for 30+ years to remove nicotine stains from my fingers, you don't melt.

You just wash again afterwards with soap and use hand cream.

by Anonymousreply 47March 19, 2020 12:54 AM

Breaking News: Excessive hand washing and hand sanitizers blamed for Coronavirus.

by Anonymousreply 48March 19, 2020 12:56 AM

All I'm saying is that soap and water takes care of it. I never thought of using bleach on the nicotine stains - I always liked Lava soap for that...

by Anonymousreply 49March 19, 2020 12:56 AM

Trader Joe's produce which isn't very good was gone, but Whole Foods had plenty. Frozen foods were gone in both.

by Anonymousreply 50March 19, 2020 12:59 AM

I bought 10 boxes of various types of Rice-a-Roni. You can make a good HUGE pot of food with one box, 1 can of diced tomatoes, 1 can of beans, 1 can of early peas and whatever else you want to put in it. If you're a meat eater you can skip the beans and add whatever meat you like and you'll end up with enough food to feed 4 people (or have 4 meals). Just add a side salad and you're set. Face it, if things end up really bad with grocery stores closed too you're probably not going to want to spend a lot of time standing at the stove cooking.

by Anonymousreply 51March 19, 2020 1:01 AM

I noticed that all the sushi, fresh and frozen, was untouched (yes there are brands of frozen sushi). I eat sushi for lunch almost everyday because it's pretty low in calories and I LOVE it. Now I am trying to figure out alternatives for lunch in case they pull all of it due to low demand.

by Anonymousreply 52March 19, 2020 1:07 AM

My favorite store normally has a huge shelf of baking flour, the shelf was bare Tuesday. I just can't imagine that all of a sudden people are going to start baking bread.

by Anonymousreply 53March 19, 2020 1:46 AM

I do bake bread regularly, R53. I thought for sure there would be plenty of flour. No problem. Well, that was not correct. And not just AP flour. Bread flour. Cleaned out.

by Anonymousreply 54March 19, 2020 1:49 AM

What the fuck is everyone doing at the grocery store every day? They'll be as bad as wet markets spreading this thing.

by Anonymousreply 55March 19, 2020 1:56 AM

Both of the Mexican markets as well as the Asian market in my town are filled to the gills with everything: eggs, cheese, fresh meat, fish, produce, and yes...TP, bitches. I don't know why people who have the option to shop at these places are still trying to shop at the huge chain stores. I'm suppose it is the blood sport of it all that people are getting off on, rather than any actual desire to provision. I still have to make a separate trip to the liquor store for mah booze and wine, but we all have to make small sacrifices.

by Anonymousreply 56March 19, 2020 2:28 AM

R52 that’s what I’ve been getting too — they don’t “run out” (they may not have the exact kind of you go too late, hardly the end of the world) but they definitely sell enough to justify restocking everyday.

I’m on my ass enough right now so I’m trying not to get processed foods (and no I don’t cook). It’s def more expensive though.

by Anonymousreply 57March 19, 2020 2:33 AM

R54, people are sitting in front of their televisions now with nothing but an open bag of flour and a table spoon.

by Anonymousreply 58March 19, 2020 2:49 AM

Last time I was at the grocery store all the meat was gone but there was plenty of that plant based protein shit. And all the vegan shit too.

Oddly enough there were plenty of fruits and quite a few vegetables, and plenty of milk, and all the eggs were gone except for the organic ones.

by Anonymousreply 59March 19, 2020 2:57 AM

Only thing left in the frozen food section of the Chicago Streeterville Whole Foods

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60March 19, 2020 2:59 AM

Some places in NYC charge > $12/bottle jar for Rao's sauces; unless they are on sale rarely bother. For that kind of money can make my own, or hit up my mom or other female relatives. They usually have something extra stored in freezer, or will offer to make a pot if say am hungry.

Just threw away a jar of Rao's that had been sitting half full in back of fridge for some time now. It had grown moldy around top of jar and surface of contents.......

by Anonymousreply 61March 19, 2020 3:07 AM

Most versions of Campbell's soups are vile concoctions loaded with sodium. There are far better choices on shelves today, which is why the good stuff is gone, while cans of Campbell's languish.

by Anonymousreply 62March 19, 2020 3:09 AM

I found these weird, off-brand Ramen Noodles today. I was looking at the package trying to figure it out and this woman grabs a pack of them off the shelf and tells the guy she's with "Look, I didn't think I'd find these". He laughs and says "That's because they come from China". Then, these other guys start laughing that we should all boycott China. This was in a Walmart. If you removed everything from China what would be left. Such hicks.

At Target the only box of eggs left had a broken one, but I still bought it.

By the way, Target brand spaghetti sauce is amazing.

by Anonymousreply 63March 19, 2020 3:12 AM

R62, they weren't languishing at my local grocery store. Most people like shitty food, and most soups are high in sodium anyway, regardless of the brand.

by Anonymousreply 64March 19, 2020 3:12 AM

Yes, I saw customers with shopping carts piled high with junk food products. I can't call it food. Cheetos. Pop Tarts. Multiple bottles of iced tea. And one unfortunate woman had in her cart six cans of Cheez Whiz. Dear God, why?

by Anonymousreply 65March 19, 2020 3:35 AM

Only the terrible store brand of pop tarts were left.

by Anonymousreply 66March 19, 2020 3:38 AM

Good thread OP. Sad, but good.

R66 Oh the humanity!

As my family told me many years ago, when we were rich enough to own a two legged goat, never name your livestock. Now, I have no livestock. Now, I have no family. But I have my friends--my winged friends--and soon I must choose.

by Anonymousreply 67March 19, 2020 4:10 AM

IMO, Rao's sauce is not that delicious, especially considering the price.

Ragu is probably the sweetest out of all the jar sauces.

I like Classico and Prego.

by Anonymousreply 68March 19, 2020 4:42 AM

The cheaper ramen was wiped out from the shelves at my local market. What remained were the more expensive kinds of ramen. I think it was a matter of price, though.

by Anonymousreply 69March 19, 2020 4:44 AM

The canned beans were almost all gone in the regular bean section, but they had plenty of the Goya brand in the small Mexican section. People just didn’t know they were there. Also I’m pretty tall so a lot of times there will be a couple of cans or boxes of an item way at the back of the shelf that shorties can’t see.

by Anonymousreply 70March 19, 2020 4:56 AM

R70 , the Goya brand of garbanzo beans are actually my favorite. They have the best texture, IMO, of all the canned garbanzos.

Good idea to look in the Mexican food section. Lots of good stuff there.

by Anonymousreply 71March 19, 2020 4:59 AM

This is what was left at the bottom of the banana bin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 72March 19, 2020 5:06 AM

My store has been out of chicken for two days. Only feet and gizzards are left.

by Anonymousreply 73March 19, 2020 5:07 AM

You want to feel sorry for the dumpster divers/feegans; people who either by own choice or forces of circumstances get food from trash bags/bins of shops or supermarkets. At least here in NYC places are closed, short of inventory, and or otherwise just not throwing much if anything away. You see the regulars hitting their spots coming up empty with disgusted looks on faces. Guess the freegans at least will have to actually pay for food.

Spied some poor unfortunate soul going through trash in front of local Levain bakery yesterday night pulling out dregs.

by Anonymousreply 74March 19, 2020 5:15 AM

R68

People should take a page from any good Italian who cooks; make up a pot of sauce, divide into portions and freeze extra to have on hand as needed. Really good sauce isn't that hard to master, and once you do it is cheaper to make than store bought usually, and better tasting IMHO.

Can always make a simple basic tomato sauce then add meat or whatever after defrosting to complete.

Next best thing is to wait for sales and or use coupons to stock up. Nearly all supermarkets have online sales circulars nowadays; find out when what you like is on special and pounce. Those jars of store bought sauce will last a long time long as they were properly made and seal not broken.

by Anonymousreply 75March 19, 2020 5:21 AM

R72 oh I’ve been seeing this with bananas a lot too (I forgot until you brought it up). Disgusting,

by Anonymousreply 76March 19, 2020 5:35 AM

Hahaha!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 77March 19, 2020 5:35 AM

I can confirm that lasagna was the only dry pasta remaining on the shelf at WinCo, a supermarket for poors.

by Anonymousreply 78March 19, 2020 6:05 AM

R76

Seems impossible to find good yellow bananas nowadays. Things are either still green, so you have to buy them and wait for them to ripen at home. Or are at stage of just ripe but ready to start turning brown imminently so you cannot get more than a few.

Worst thing about the latter is your home will soon be filled with fruit files. So to keep that from happening try to only buy a few almost ripe (or ripe yellow if can find), at a time.

Those who bake however know those brown bananas are great for making breads, cakes and other goodies. In fact if am going to do so will head down to supermarket purposely to find the most ripe things they have. Usually can hit up the produce manage to give me the ones pulled from shelves on their way to being thrown away. Also find the riper bananas make for richer and sweeter smoothies.

by Anonymousreply 79March 19, 2020 6:17 AM

My lasagne al forno takes three days to make. It's too much to undertake during a pandemic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80March 19, 2020 6:21 AM

R79 Considering all the flour, eggs and butter are gone it's going to be hard to make any kind of bread with those bannas. It's so frustrating shopping for food now, you cannot even plan a recipie till you get to the store and see what's left.

by Anonymousreply 81March 19, 2020 6:34 AM

Any decent Italian or Italian-American nonna can bang out lasagne al Forno in about 16 hours. Much depends upon if one is using homemade pasta done on same day from scratch, or dried (store bought or whatever).

Some like to make their lasagne early enough so it can sit and set up after coming out of oven.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 19, 2020 6:37 AM

For you girls that want something visual....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 19, 2020 6:40 AM

R81

Speaking of dumpster diving, am willing to bet plenty cartons of eggs were simply binned because reached sell by date, which is nonsense. One of the things frequently see people taking out of supermarket garbage bags is eggs. Often the really expensive organic veggie fed chickens variety.

I've used eggs a week or so beyond sell by date for baking and cooking, everything was fine. Long as the things were stored properly you can use eggs for a number of weeks past "best by" or "sell by" date. Truth to tell unless buying local farm raised organic or whatever eggs most of them are weeks old by time reach your supermarket due to supply chain.

Now there are limits however. For certain baked goods you need fresh eggs. But otherwise for things like an omelet, making noodles/pasta, etc... you can get away with using less than fresh.

by Anonymousreply 84March 19, 2020 7:02 AM

Thanks to the shelves being emptied at my local supermarket I’ve noticed that they sell really expensive hempseed oil that you’d have to be filthy rich to consider buying, and now I’m obsessed with stealing it. So far I’ve collected 5 bottles... it’s too easy when the shop’s crammed with panicked people and overworked staff, I can’t stop!

by Anonymousreply 85March 19, 2020 7:25 AM

R58 here. I forgot to add visuals to my post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86March 19, 2020 7:25 AM

All the fruit except watermelon and cantaloupe was picked clean.

by Anonymousreply 87March 19, 2020 7:35 AM

Both are out of season and thus are likely imported, which have absolutely no taste at all.

by Anonymousreply 88March 19, 2020 8:11 AM

And, it's all ridiculous since the supply chains are FINE...Farms are still farming and factories are still running and trucks are still delivering. None of that is getting shut down and none of it's GOING to get shut down.

by Anonymousreply 89March 19, 2020 8:23 AM

Kleenex and Puffs tissues with lotion were the only tissue boxes left behind on the shelves.

by Anonymousreply 90March 19, 2020 8:23 AM

Rao's pasta sauces are delicious. I like the Arrabbiata, Artichoke, and Eggplant ones.

They go bad in the fridge after a short time because they don't have preservatives.

After having the jar open for a few days in the fridge, I dump a portion into plastic containers and put them in the freezer.

by Anonymousreply 91March 19, 2020 8:25 AM

(r11 ) I got those meatballs! They were the only thing left in our ground beef section too! I'm in California. They tasted perfectly fine.I don't know why nobody wanted them.

by Anonymousreply 92March 19, 2020 9:06 AM

In Grocery Outlet, saw a lot of packages of mung beans. (They look like little dark khaki BB gun pellets). I couldn't remember what they were for! Apparently no one else could, either.

by Anonymousreply 93March 19, 2020 9:13 AM

I am not eating anything! I'm living on air and mung beans.

by Anonymousreply 94March 19, 2020 9:31 AM

Sweetie darling, soak them in vodka first!

by Anonymousreply 95March 19, 2020 9:45 AM

All of the $5 DVD's at Wal Mart were sold out except for titles with Meryl Streep and Glenn Close.

Those two cunts can fuck off and die, apparently.

by Anonymousreply 96March 19, 2020 9:54 AM

All the meat, chicken pork was wiped out clean. Tons of frozen shrimp sitting in the freeze bin. And 2 frozen Turkeys.

by Anonymousreply 97March 19, 2020 9:57 AM

My local Waitrose had a full shelf of Champagne when I last popped in. Honestly, the looks I got as my loaded up my trolley!

by Anonymousreply 98March 19, 2020 10:12 AM

As firzt lady i recommend cabbage for da poor

by Anonymousreply 99March 19, 2020 10:21 AM

We aren't really having the same supply problems here in the UK.

People have reached critical mass on toilet paper and we have an unending supply of eggs (which are mainly free-range (organic) anyhow The only thing that seems to be in short supply is dried pasta, most of that will end up in the trash after the panic is over.

Pot noodles are also sort of being rationed. Are they the same thing as Ramen Noodles? I haven"t eaten one for over 40 years.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100March 19, 2020 10:26 AM

Until recently in New Zealand Campbell's soup used to be viewed as high class, because of the Warhol connection.

I noticed today they were the only cans of soup left on the shelf lol

by Anonymousreply 101March 19, 2020 10:36 AM

All the dry pasta was gone except imported spaghetti and a lone boc of fettuccine.

Fortunately, I was able to get refrigerated pesto and Alfredo sauce. I have shrimp in the freezer.

by Anonymousreply 102March 19, 2020 10:37 AM

R90

Tried those tissues with lotion once, they had a slimy feel so never bothered ever again. In fact think I put them on other side of my desk at work so people would purposely use them instead of the good stuff.

by Anonymousreply 103March 19, 2020 10:44 AM

r93 why, sesame balls, of course!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104March 19, 2020 10:47 AM

Stuff no one wants:

Gluten-free and wholemeal pasta

Organic flour

The "healthy" or vegan ice creams

by Anonymousreply 105March 19, 2020 10:59 AM

[quote]Both of the Mexican markets as well as the Asian market in my town are filled to the gills with everything: eggs, cheese, fresh meat, fish, produce, and yes...TP, bitches. I don't know why people who have the option to shop at these places are still trying to shop at the huge chain stores.

In my city, these markets are mostly located in the poorer areas on the edge of town - so for the majority of the city's residents, they might as well be on the moon. They're just not on the radar for a lot of people. I also think non-Hispanic and non-Asian people might feel weird about shopping at them, like they wouldn't be welcome or something. Which is silly, but there you go.

by Anonymousreply 106March 19, 2020 11:08 AM

r101 now that's funny, because Warhol chose Campbell for being the popular (i.e. trash) product.

by Anonymousreply 107March 19, 2020 11:24 AM

There was no milk except a ton from a local dairy and I thought hey, how bad could it be? I've had farm fresh milk before, I grew up in the Midwest, it's not that bad.

Folks, this was bad. I warmed it up for some coffee and it smelled like dead sheep. No wonder there were 40 bottles of it left on the shelves.

by Anonymousreply 108March 19, 2020 11:29 AM

Same here with the Campbell’s. There was a full shelf of the stuff and everything else was gone.

by Anonymousreply 109March 19, 2020 11:42 AM

I bought a four-pack of Scarpetta Tuscan Vodka pasta sauce last week. It’s very good, without any added sugar or gross things like dehydrated onion or garlic powder. It’s very good.

I did pick up what I consider “storm food”, like tuna, almond and peanut butter, baking ingredients (I know how to make really simple but delicious bread with just flour, salt, yeast and water), and bleach and cleaning supplies, and batteries. I also found cough suppressant, cough drops, Tylenol, Advil.

I wouldn’t buy the last of anything on the shelf, but I have been gathering a few extra things each day for the past few weeks, including “off label” products cheaply purchased at a place called Family Dollar. I picked up a huge pile of crayons and diapers for a school I support.

by Anonymousreply 110March 19, 2020 11:55 AM

Nuts. No one had touched cannisters and cannisters of nuts because they are deadly and fattening.

by Anonymousreply 111March 19, 2020 11:58 AM

I saw that too r111. They were in the produce section in my store and were untouched, I grabbed a couple bags. Nuts are very nutritious, I can't believe people are worried about the fat in them if they are clearing out the frozen pizza.

by Anonymousreply 112March 19, 2020 12:03 PM

Deadly, deadly nuts.

by Anonymousreply 113March 19, 2020 12:05 PM

Speaking of Campbell’s, has anyone noticed how tiny the soup cans are compared to the days of Andy Warhol?

At least half the size.

by Anonymousreply 114March 19, 2020 12:07 PM

The frozen vegetables have taken quite a hit, but no one wants the Lima Beans!

by Anonymousreply 115March 19, 2020 12:15 PM

When I was at TJ's about two weeks ago, it had been picked bare and also noticed Reduced Fat Mac and Cheese was the only thing left.

No one I know is going to the supermarket anymore, it's all delivery.

My mother and her friends have somehow figured out how to game the Fresh Direct and Amazon delivery windows, what times the new ones open up because the entire day allegedly fills up the hour it's available.

by Anonymousreply 116March 19, 2020 12:17 PM

I have walnuts and almonds and pine nuts, but use them as ingredients more than snacks.

by Anonymousreply 117March 19, 2020 12:19 PM

R114

Everything has been downsized! A five pound bag of sugar or flour hasn't been that in years. Nearly everything you buy is smaller packaging/contains less but price is same or has gone up.

Noticed other day that even those brown bottles of peroxide have shrunk yet again. This from last year when bought a bottle, but price is same.

by Anonymousreply 118March 19, 2020 12:20 PM

At least on Tuesday, the Star Market in Boston’s Fenway was completely stocked except for toilet paper, and there were no lines at checkout.

by Anonymousreply 119March 19, 2020 12:20 PM

The tarrifs have sped up the shrinkonomics.

by Anonymousreply 120March 19, 2020 12:22 PM

The frozen vag section of my store was completely cleaned out. Didn’t know people ate that so much. I thought everyone hates them, especially kids.

by Anonymousreply 121March 19, 2020 12:57 PM

R79 and anyone thinking about bananas... if you slice them and put them in sealable containers, bananas stay well when frozen. Don't leave them in their skins, you won't be able to peel them. Learned this when my daughter was young and only wanted half a banana and wouldn't eat them once the peel started to brown. I would slice and freeze the other half of the banana and pull them out for a snack when we were out. No need to keep making bread out of them unless you want to.

by Anonymousreply 122March 19, 2020 1:00 PM

Not a big fan of vag, frozen or otherwise, but it takes all kinds as Grandpa used to say.

by Anonymousreply 123March 19, 2020 1:04 PM

I remember bananas dipped in chocolate and frozen R122.

by Anonymousreply 124March 19, 2020 1:07 PM

If one is really sick with COVID-19 - do NOT consume bananas, which are inflammatory.

by Anonymousreply 125March 19, 2020 1:07 PM

Smart Water is always the last to go. I guess its the price. I love Smart Water but I'm not buying it since I get water delivered.

by Anonymousreply 126March 19, 2020 1:09 PM

In France, anything that has to do with personal hygiene: shower gel, shampoo... I wish I were kidding. Toilet rolls are gone, as they are everywhere.

by Anonymousreply 127March 19, 2020 1:25 PM

Nobody’s buying Dasani where I shop. Even the store brand is sold out.

by Anonymousreply 128March 19, 2020 1:35 PM

Dasani is toilet water that’s been filtered.

by Anonymousreply 129March 19, 2020 1:49 PM

Rather like frozen veggies. All except Brussels sprouts which always come out mushy and brown when reheated.

Frozen greens like kale, collard, etc.... are a great way to have them without all the bother of cooking down fresh.

by Anonymousreply 130March 19, 2020 2:06 PM

R123, we all hate vag. Well, most of us anyway.

by Anonymousreply 131March 19, 2020 2:15 PM

Frozen green beans are hideous. The freezing and thawing really fucks them up.

by Anonymousreply 132March 19, 2020 2:16 PM

R51, you are a creative culinary genius. Good thinking.

I forgot about RICE A RONI.

Other mix -ins besides those you suggested are: a combination of shrimp, frozen broccoli, frozen sugar snap peas.

Also a combination of ground turkey, diced peppers and onions and a can of diced tomatoes.

I've also used ground chicken, diced spinach and onions together with RICE A RONI.

by Anonymousreply 133March 19, 2020 2:36 PM

I bought a 25 pound bag of brown rice at an Asian grocery store. If you have a rice cooker [works better than a regular pot), add soy sauce, seasonings, frozen veggies, meat, and cook. Makes for a good variety of meals.

by Anonymousreply 134March 19, 2020 2:48 PM

hot air popcorn...I have a Cuisanart hot air popcorn maker. No one else seems to want it as there is tons on the shelf

by Anonymousreply 135March 19, 2020 2:53 PM

Amen r132. I just got back from my local supermarket (HEB, Houston).

Meat & poultry - plentiful

Produce - plentiful

Bread, bakery items, tortilleria - plentiful

Alcohol - plentiful!

Canned goods - half-stocked

Dairy, eggs - running low

Frozen veggies - nada

TP, paper towels - nada

Expensive gourmet and health stuff - they can't even give it away

by Anonymousreply 136March 19, 2020 3:51 PM

[quote]R43 are you bleaching your hands?

I cut off my hands.

by Anonymousreply 137March 19, 2020 4:09 PM

I don't eat anything anyways.....so this is working out well for me

by Anonymousreply 138March 19, 2020 4:24 PM

The sodium bomb canned soups, sodium bomb Ramen noodles and sodium bomb crap frozen dinners like Stouffer's are all picked over at the grocery stores I've been to. When this is all over, cardiologists will be making bank.

by Anonymousreply 139March 19, 2020 4:30 PM

Local Walmart here has almost empty water aisle but fully stocked soda aisle. Kinda surprised - i thought for sure everybody will get hold of anything to drink .

by Anonymousreply 140March 19, 2020 4:34 PM

[quote]By the way, Target brand spaghetti sauce is amazing.

I didn't know that, thanks for the tip. I'll get some next time I go to Target.

by Anonymousreply 141March 19, 2020 4:43 PM

[quote]The sodium bomb canned soups, sodium bomb Ramen noodles and sodium bomb crap frozen dinners like Stouffer's are all picked over at the grocery stores I've been to. When this is all over, cardiologists will be making bank.

Bank bomb, you mean?

by Anonymousreply 142March 19, 2020 4:46 PM

Regarding bananas mentioned above. I also peel and slice them and put them in the freezer.

My dog loves them and so do I. So we sit together eating frozen bananas and watching our Netflix !

by Anonymousreply 143March 19, 2020 11:03 PM

Bat soup is still in stock!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 19, 2020 11:08 PM

All of the frozen vegetables were gone except for sliced okra. I bought it, because why not?

by Anonymousreply 145March 19, 2020 11:13 PM

You will find out why not r145

by Anonymousreply 146March 19, 2020 11:17 PM

r145 I LURVE steamed okra!

by Anonymousreply 147March 19, 2020 11:19 PM

P145. I’ll trade a bag of frozen Brussel sprouts for the sliced okra.

by Anonymousreply 148March 19, 2020 11:30 PM

I went to the Dollar General all their frozen food is still there.

by Anonymousreply 149March 19, 2020 11:38 PM

Pepperidge Farm cookies were $2.95 at my local store!

FAT WHORES REJOICE!

by Anonymousreply 150March 19, 2020 11:39 PM

The honey-glazed roasted bat wings are not selling.

by Anonymousreply 151March 19, 2020 11:39 PM

Must be the glaze R151.

by Anonymousreply 152March 19, 2020 11:40 PM

r147 The bag says to boil them, which doesn't sound great. I'll steam them instead, thanks!

r148 Sorry but I have fresh brussels sprouts! The frozen ones are awful.

by Anonymousreply 153March 19, 2020 11:41 PM

I bought a $14.00 canister of powdered peanut butter today. Enough to make PB&Js for 6 months. I've tried it before and liked it very much. Plus it's great for baking.

by Anonymousreply 154March 19, 2020 11:42 PM

Are people buying my frozen pizzas?

by Anonymousreply 155March 19, 2020 11:43 PM

No Oprah. Nobody wants a piece of your pie. If you get my drift.

by Anonymousreply 156March 19, 2020 11:44 PM

I went to the Dollar Store and bought a couple of bags of frozen mixed vegetables to mix with rice. The mixed veggies are from the bottom of the barrel. Trader Joe's had them back in stock today. I'm going to eat them anyway, I suddenly feel very strongly that I shouldn't waste food.

by Anonymousreply 157March 19, 2020 11:46 PM

r153 steamed okra with scallion, lime and ginger

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158March 19, 2020 11:49 PM

There are tons of frozen peas and beans (butter, garbanzo, kidney, black eyed peas) at my local groceries. I didn't even know there were frozen cooked kidney or garbanzo beans until I saw these.

by Anonymousreply 159March 19, 2020 11:59 PM

My neighborhood is white trash so plenty of frozen vegetables, produce, fruit. In the baking isle, the sugar is wiped out, meat and eggs are wiped out, lots of fish left, all the bread is wiped out and all the all the cheap soup and pasta wiped out. Ethnic food like Asian and Jewish fully stocked.

by Anonymousreply 160March 20, 2020 12:27 AM

There's lots of stuff you can make with frozen peas.

by Anonymousreply 161March 20, 2020 12:29 AM

Cow milk all gone.

Almond milk fully stocked.

by Anonymousreply 162March 20, 2020 12:30 AM

Plenty of canned Cream of Celery soup in my store. Never noticed it before.

by Anonymousreply 163March 20, 2020 12:30 AM

I'm all sold out of $85 workout shoes, but there are plenty of sports training bras still on the shelf.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164March 20, 2020 12:32 AM

Only Newman's Own frozen pizza left in the freezers. I bought 8 boxes. Fuck dat.

by Anonymousreply 165March 20, 2020 12:32 AM

I always wanted to try Newman's Own pizzas. Instead, I always bought Red Baron or Amy's.

by Anonymousreply 166March 20, 2020 12:33 AM

I haven't been to the grocery store in 5 days. I was able to pick up a few things on that day. I have plenty of food, but it is rather redundant. I'm tempted to go tomorrow, but don't want to be shocked at what I see.

by Anonymousreply 167March 20, 2020 12:35 AM

I accidentally on purpose bleached my hands a couple times since this shit show started, I admit it.

by Anonymousreply 168March 20, 2020 12:42 AM

I went to our local Walmart Marketplace today. I got my popcorn for the air popper, two jars of chunky peanut butter, a couple of frozen pizzas, and 2 containers of Quaker Oats. All that was left in canned stuff was tamales so I grabbed a couple of can. There were still a lot of Huggies baby wipes so I grabbed two packs. I just can't take all of anything...maybe I should. It's just me so I don't need much

by Anonymousreply 169March 20, 2020 1:42 AM

I went to Walmart tonight. It has calmed down a lot. The lines only became long because the store was about to close early at 830pm, so people were waiting to check out and exit. They had what I needed but I didn't feel like waiting. I will go back in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 170March 20, 2020 3:24 AM

I'm going to try the Italian market in Philly tomorrow. It' s only a few blocks from me.

by Anonymousreply 171March 20, 2020 4:21 AM

R127 the last time I looked those vegs from the dollar store were from PERU! But I guess it's an emergency, just cook them well.

by Anonymousreply 172March 20, 2020 4:44 AM

[quote] [R101] now that's funny, because Warhol chose Campbell for being the popular (i.e. trash) product.

I disagree with this statement. I've done a little bit of research and I've never read that Warhol considered Campbell's soups to be a popular, i.e., trash product.

According to the linked article (MoMA), Warhol said of Campbell's soup:

[quote] I used to drink it. I used to have the same lunch every day, for 20 years, I guess, the same thing over and over again.

I'm sure there's more to the painting.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173March 20, 2020 5:06 AM

You can't compare what is today to what was yesterday. Back in the day Campbell's soup was considered good soup. It was concentrated so you had to add water.

by Anonymousreply 174March 20, 2020 5:14 AM

Dasani water was trending because no one wanted it even in the coronapocalpse, not sure why coke stays with an unpopular product.

by Anonymousreply 175March 20, 2020 5:22 AM

Oh dear, I'm venturing out to Costco today. Wish me luck, girls.

by Anonymousreply 176March 20, 2020 4:23 PM

Good luck R176 and don't hoard.

by Anonymousreply 177March 20, 2020 4:25 PM

a friend is so glad no one else wants tinned beetroot.

by Anonymousreply 178March 20, 2020 4:26 PM

Made my biweekly grocery run just now, and my market had plenty of produce and bakery goods, the meat case was sparse on the chicken, but plenty of beef and pork, and dairy and even eggs were ok. The frozen meals, vegetables and pizza were pretty well wiped out, as were cleaning supplies. I needed dishwasher stuff, and all they had was 2 boxes of Seventh Generation powder, so I got one. I told the checker they deserve a bonus when this is all over, but he just laughed. He said this store is taking in $250K/day, but the employees don’t expect to see any of that.

by Anonymousreply 179March 20, 2020 6:27 PM

This broke my heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180March 20, 2020 6:31 PM

We have plenty of stock available!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181March 20, 2020 7:14 PM

Items left on the shelves...

Reductive Lady Gaga CDs?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182March 20, 2020 7:17 PM

It's weird to see commercials for food when you know your grocery store doesn't have it.

by Anonymousreply 183March 20, 2020 7:42 PM

I'm at a drug store. Funny how the homeopathic remedies and essential oils are all still here!

by Anonymousreply 184March 20, 2020 7:59 PM

MOMA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185March 20, 2020 8:06 PM

That is from 2001.

by Anonymousreply 186March 20, 2020 8:33 PM

Oops R186 comment was for R185.

by Anonymousreply 187March 20, 2020 8:33 PM

Picked up some toilet paper, tissue, paper towels, (could only buy one of each) and other essentials this morning at Walmart. They were getting low but lots of re-stocking going on in many areas, too.

I got a call from a friend saying they had restocked and raced right over. The lot was full, they're probably out again already.

by Anonymousreply 188March 20, 2020 8:52 PM

[quote] The frozen vegetables have taken quite a hit, but no one wants the Lima Beans!

I hate Lima Beans on their own but they are great if you mix them with tomatoes and corn to make a succotash, you can add onion if you wish.

[quote] You can't compare what is today to what was yesterday. Back in the day Campbell's soup was considered good soup. It was concentrated so you had to add water.

If you get the traditional red top Campbell's soup, it is still concentrated. If you read the directions on the can it says to add water.

by Anonymousreply 189March 20, 2020 8:59 PM

Hence the MOMA, r186.

by Anonymousreply 190March 20, 2020 9:12 PM

I made it to Costco and it wasn't the Mad Max wasteland I was expecting. They were out of most paper products, fresh chicken/ground turkey and had limits on most frozen foods, eggs, and meats. I did see several people with a cartful of those 5 gallon plastic gas jugs. I don't know if they are expecting gas shortages or if they will stock up while the price was cheap, but it was disconcerting to see that.

Whole Foods was mostly stocked and not too many shoppers. I think most people are going for the cheap shit since they won't have disposable income for a while.

by Anonymousreply 191March 21, 2020 12:39 AM

Was anyone in Costco wearing a mask? I swear I got a bug the last time I was in that place, before the holidays.

I work in the healthcare industry, so I wore a mask and gloves into a grocery store (along with my scrubs) on Wed. The clients are mostly elderly and I’d hate to pass something along to them.

Instead of feeling awkward and like a hysteric, it actually put a bounce in my step. I just whipped in and out of there cheerily...even though it wasn’t a higher tech shield mask or anything. And maybe I sent a signal to other shoppers to take our California Order seriously?

by Anonymousreply 192March 21, 2020 1:07 AM

R192, yes a lot of customers wore masks and gloves. The cashiers and stockers didn't wear masks, but did wear gloves. I wore gloves and would've worn a mask if I had one. But I made pretty quick work of my shopping there.

I wouldn't feel weird about wearing a mask and gloves, it's just good sense right now. I feel bad for the people working there.

by Anonymousreply 193March 21, 2020 1:14 AM

In one supermarket they were all out of meat except for the plant based meat and it hadn't been touched.

by Anonymousreply 194March 21, 2020 1:22 AM

it's amazing how no one wants to use those filthy reusable bags now. Everyone wanted the formerly-scorned (but Clean) plastic.

by Anonymousreply 195March 21, 2020 1:23 AM

Ha! That was the first thing that allegedly went in Manhattan supermarkets R194

by Anonymousreply 196March 21, 2020 1:25 AM

Why are people surprised that trendy, politically correct food is being left? The world is in crisis, people don't want plant based burgers and kale, they want beef and potatoes, they want comfort food.

by Anonymousreply 197March 21, 2020 1:26 AM

[quote]And maybe I sent a signal to other shoppers to take our California Order seriously?

They definitely need the signal. I was at Target last night, and it was really disconcerting. Besides myself, I only saw one other person wearing gloves. The cashiers weren't wearing any, kids and old people everywhere, people goofing around like it was a snow day. And NOBODY, it seemed, was trying to keep their distance from other people. Had so many people pass by me in aisles and make no effort not to get in my face. Very few seem to be taking any of this seriously in my area.

R194, one of the notable sidebars of all this buying frenzy is how much of the green/organic/vegan type products are still on the shelves. I haven't seen any kind of regular antibacterial product for two weeks now - but stuff like the Seventh Generation disinfectant is just sitting there in plain sight, ignored.

by Anonymousreply 198March 21, 2020 1:28 AM

Unfortunately, the store was completely sold out of bats.

by Anonymousreply 199March 21, 2020 1:35 AM

Partially it’s ignored because it’s pricey. Everyone’s wondering about their jobs.

by Anonymousreply 200March 21, 2020 1:36 AM

It triggers me to gym class. Picking teams.

by Anonymousreply 201March 21, 2020 1:43 AM

Today at Big Lots all the chips remained untouched. Two little cans of Vienna sausage sat alone on one shelf.

I saw woman wearing one of those cheap cloth masks you use to clean house or paint with. I thought, "Do you know how tiny viruses are??". When I entered her aisle she took her cart and darted away.

The ignorance and fear is going to be worse than getting the virus.

by Anonymousreply 202March 21, 2020 1:44 AM

Bernie Sanders.

by Anonymousreply 203March 21, 2020 1:46 AM

One tall young frauesse at the post office was making a big show of everyone getting anywhere near her zone while her fingerless-gloved fingers clutched her ratty Night of 1000 Stevies shawl to her mouth and nose.

by Anonymousreply 204March 21, 2020 1:48 AM

Apparently, Swiss Cheese is NOT a favorite in my town.

by Anonymousreply 205March 21, 2020 1:06 PM

I live in Switzerland and "Swiss cheese" is Emmental and it's not all that popular. There are so many better cheeses.

by Anonymousreply 206March 21, 2020 3:26 PM

R204 what is the point of wearing fingerless gloves?

by Anonymousreply 207March 21, 2020 3:33 PM

The guy checking out in front of me at a Smart & Final EXTRA! bought a ton of stuff that still doesn't have quantity limits. After he paid he asked the cashier about returns. A manager who happened to be passing by interjected "there are NO returns, ALL sales are FINAL!". Guess you'll have to consume all that soda and chips and other junk food yourself, asshole, because nobody is gonna buy it from you.

by Anonymousreply 208March 21, 2020 3:52 PM

To the posters typing "veggies," please stop.

by Anonymousreply 209March 21, 2020 4:02 PM

Socal here. Sprouts’ shelves are cleaned out of organic household cleaners but plenty of ice cream, cookies and snacks. I noticed some of the vitamin shelves were empty. Tofu all gone! Shocking. I thought people hate tofu but maybe the Asians bought them all. Still plenty of fresh veg and fruit.

by Anonymousreply 210March 21, 2020 6:52 PM

Last weekend after people started hoarding the only TP that was left in the store was the awful, cheap kind. All the soft TP was gone. Now they've refilled the shelves and there's a bigger selection of TP. You can even get the soft one!

by Anonymousreply 211March 21, 2020 8:00 PM

King Soopers in Denver today seemed almost normal for once. Lots of produce and a decent amount of meat and even some poultry for the first time in a couple of weeks. The paper towel aisle is still empty. People are still being assholes.

by Anonymousreply 212March 22, 2020 3:28 AM

Are people buying my pasta sauce?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 213March 22, 2020 3:30 AM

The entire pasta aisle is empty, R213. Pasta and sauce. Except yours. That row looks untouched.

by Anonymousreply 214March 22, 2020 3:34 AM

I noticed that too, what's the deal with pasta? Learn to cook you lazy fat Fraus. Every jar of sauce was gone so we know you are making a dump cake version if marinara sauce.

by Anonymousreply 215March 22, 2020 6:26 AM

[quote]Apparently, Swiss Cheese is NOT a favorite in my town.

I realize it's a recent rule, but if you refer to something by it's country of origin, that's racist.

by Anonymousreply 216March 22, 2020 7:17 AM

If you like Swiss try French Gruyere. It's like Swiss on steroids, a lot of flavor.

by Anonymousreply 217March 22, 2020 7:28 AM

I had to RISK MY LIFE going to a second store for cauliflower this morning.

God damn you, Safeway!!

by Anonymousreply 218March 22, 2020 4:03 PM

Target and King Soopers seemed almost normal and Target had paper products (not a lot, but it was better than nothing). I picked up some TP to ship to my elderly sister in AZ because the stores are stripped clean.

Target had a sign at the front door limiting purchases of sanitizer, Clorox wipes and paper products and it said that this rule would be STRICTLY ENFORCED.

by Anonymousreply 219March 22, 2020 9:40 PM

r219, did they have hand sanitizer in stock?

by Anonymousreply 220March 22, 2020 10:08 PM

I didn't think to look for any R220.

by Anonymousreply 221March 24, 2020 3:20 AM

[quote] If you like Swiss try French Gruyere. It's like Swiss on steroids, a lot of flavor.

I like this Comte cheese from Costco. It's a type of Gruyere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222March 24, 2020 4:16 AM

R6 that’s a good one, that’s funny

by Anonymousreply 223March 24, 2020 4:37 AM

I saw a lot of lonely-looking Amy's stuff still in the freezer case at not just one, but three stores. This didn't surprise me. I've always thought the brand is overrated, overhyped, and overpriced for what it is.

by Anonymousreply 224March 24, 2020 4:40 AM

Unlike your experience, OP, yogurt was nearly cleared out everywhere I went. Ralphs (Kroger in California) was empty except for this gross looking "Starburst" candy flavor by Yoplait.

by Anonymousreply 225March 24, 2020 4:44 AM

R211 thank god, I refuse to wipe my precious ass with that sand paper masquerading as TP. Gurls, as we all know, we only allow the soft stuff back there, except for when it come to rock hard cock.

by Anonymousreply 226March 24, 2020 4:45 AM

This sold out from my local bodega.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227March 24, 2020 4:56 AM

Frozen pizzas are flying out the freezers but no one is touching Hot Pockets.

I thought kids loved those things.

by Anonymousreply 228March 24, 2020 4:58 AM

Beyond Meat products and their competitors. Tofu based vegan meat and dairy substitutes.

by Anonymousreply 229March 24, 2020 5:02 AM

Kale, quinoa, cauliflower rice, Oprah's cauliflower based pizzas....

by Anonymousreply 230March 24, 2020 5:06 AM

Chia seeds, Greek yogurt, fresh fruit for smoothies...

by Anonymousreply 231March 24, 2020 5:09 AM

Mrs. Butterworth’s Butter flavored pancake syrup.

by Anonymousreply 232March 24, 2020 5:11 AM

Can't find baking yeast anywhere, whether in envelopes or jars.

Thanks, amateurs, and good luck to you and your misbegotten dough.

by Anonymousreply 233March 24, 2020 5:34 AM

I'm hoping that when the hoarding frau housecows get their credit card bills next month and are shocked into reality about how much they've spent, it will put a damper on shortages due to hoarding.

by Anonymousreply 234March 24, 2020 5:39 AM

R225 I'm surprised they still had it, it was the free Friday item this month.

by Anonymousreply 235March 24, 2020 3:41 PM

Pray for me. I'm going over the top for....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 236March 24, 2020 3:46 PM

Men are being just as bad as women, as far as buying out toilet paper and not being considerate of others who need TP.

by Anonymousreply 237March 24, 2020 7:05 PM

I’m glad the vegan items are untouched; more for me.

by Anonymousreply 238March 24, 2020 7:07 PM

Me too r238. I'm not normally a strict organic/vegetarian person but since I won't have access to the gym for god knows how long, that's what I'm eating. It's the only thing that's going to save me from turning into a gigantic fatass while I can't work out.

by Anonymousreply 239March 24, 2020 7:11 PM

When I was at Target today R238 all the vegan products were gone. I know it is wishful thinking, but if you didn't buy vegan products before please be thoughtful of vegans that are looking for those products since we don't have the wide choice a meat eater does.

by Anonymousreply 240March 24, 2020 7:11 PM

Nobody has a wide choice right now, R240, including meat eaters who go to store after store looking in vain for chicken or hamburger.

by Anonymousreply 241March 24, 2020 7:13 PM

You just missed the whole point R241.

by Anonymousreply 242March 24, 2020 7:15 PM

r238, I'm noticing it's the vegan junk food that is left. The oats, potatoes, rice, beans, almond milk - healthy stuff seemed to sell out early.

by Anonymousreply 243March 24, 2020 7:15 PM

[r240] oh, I’d never buy everything. I know there are more of us now than ever!

by Anonymousreply 244March 24, 2020 7:20 PM

Biscoff (airline) cookies are vegan. I just bought a pack the other day. They're in my freezer now. I like to eat cookies (non-homemade) frozen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245March 24, 2020 7:45 PM

Never heard of them R245. Saw that my local Walmart carries them. Will have to give them a try.

by Anonymousreply 246March 24, 2020 7:49 PM

R233 Same here in Norway, yeast is sold out everywhere, same with flour. I guess people really want to bake during a pandemic... smh.

by Anonymousreply 247March 24, 2020 8:33 PM

Maybe all those bread machines out in the garage will finally get some use.

by Anonymousreply 248March 24, 2020 8:56 PM

[quote] ...please be thoughtful of vegans that are looking for those products since we don't have the wide choice a meat eater does....

Yes, you do have a choice. Veganism is a choice. There is a world wide pandemic going on. Thousands of people have died. Many, many more or suffering. And you, dear Vegan, can suck it up and eat an egg and have a glass of milk, if that's what you can find to eat.

by Anonymousreply 249March 25, 2020 3:07 AM

Fuck off R249. I don't hoard your chicken noodle soup or cans of tuna. You are what is wrong with our society. You are in it for yourself.

by Anonymousreply 250March 25, 2020 3:56 AM

R249 or a nicely seasoned plate of growth hormones

by Anonymousreply 251March 25, 2020 3:59 AM

I'm in Flatbush and I went to the corner bodega today, after not stopping in for about 2 weeks. I was dreading that I was going to find ransacked shelves but they were fully stocked on everything except loaves of bread. Milk, cereal, deli items all available. Also, a nearby non-chain pharmacy had plenty of toilet paper and hand soap.

by Anonymousreply 252March 25, 2020 4:04 AM

One of the unwritten rules of veganism is that in times of extreme crisis it is acceptable to drop pretension and consume the remains of animals. One can resume the show after the crisis has past.

by Anonymousreply 253March 25, 2020 5:10 AM

And you are an idiot R253. I'm a vegan, how would you feel if I hoarded chicken noodle soup, cans of tuna, etc. Like I said upthread, if you didn't eat this food before quit hoarding it for those people that do.

by Anonymousreply 254March 25, 2020 5:15 AM

Interesting how 2 or 3 weeks ago bread was EEEW GLUTEN!!! CARBS!!! Now the bread and pasta aisles are wiped out every day within the first few hours the stores open. I guess people aren't as "gluten intolerant" as they thought.

by Anonymousreply 255March 25, 2020 5:38 AM

ALDI in my New England state was fully stocked except for tp, ground beef, disinfectant wipes there are limits on qtys for certain items. Lots of fruit and veg and easter candy

by Anonymousreply 256March 25, 2020 11:30 AM

The tower of L'eggs panty hose in the plastic egg were untouched at my Skaggs!

I guess in these trying times no one wants sheer elegance.

by Anonymousreply 257March 25, 2020 12:24 PM

R255 I'm finding bread at the stores I go to. What is interesting is it is the expensive bread that people are not hoarding.

by Anonymousreply 258March 25, 2020 1:34 PM

R254, the last thing vegans should be doing during a pandemic is bitch and moan about people that aren't vegan. Carnivores aren't hoarding your tofu, vegan cheese, nutritional yeast, and such. You would think a die hard vegan would already be well stocked on this stuff, wouldn't you?

by Anonymousreply 259March 25, 2020 1:41 PM

Also, R254, the last few times I've been to the grocery store to get some basic things, I can assure you the selection of vegan based products in the freezer section is VERY well stocked. Fresh produce is VERY well stocked. You don't really have a problem finding your foods, you're just looking for an excuse to bitch at non-vegans.

by Anonymousreply 260March 25, 2020 1:46 PM

R258

Higher grades/priced breads/baked goods tend to have less to no preservatives; so they don't half shelf life measured in weeks like say Wonder Bread. You pretty much have to eat it on same day or maybe day after, otherwise other than French toast or maybe croutons stuff is dry, stale and useless.

On other note the dumpster divers and others used to getting gourmet baked goodies for free by going through trash are SOL in my area of Manhattan. Places are either closed or doing only delivery, all of which means very little is being thrown away. Have never seen the major avenues so clean at night.

by Anonymousreply 261March 25, 2020 1:46 PM

Why would they R259. People are hoarding and it is evident by what is or more importantly what isn't at the grocery store. Expensive bread no one is hoarding, but bread is all gone. Which is fine by me since I don't eat cheap bread.

Freeze the bread R261. I do just because it takes some time for me to go through a loaf.

by Anonymousreply 262March 25, 2020 1:48 PM

Oprah's cauliflower frozen pizzas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263March 25, 2020 2:12 PM

Quinoa and Kale - thank goodness.

by Anonymousreply 264March 25, 2020 2:13 PM

[quote] Carnivores aren't hoarding your tofu, vegan cheese, nutritional yeast, and such.

First of all, it's not theirs.

by Anonymousreply 265March 25, 2020 2:15 PM

I would fly Delta just to get the cookies r245 before the stores stated selling them

by Anonymousreply 266March 25, 2020 2:24 PM

no toilet paper or hand sanitizer, everything else is there including paper towel, napkins and kleenex.

No handsoap but bar soap which is more environmentally friendly IS readily and widely available along with bleach

by Anonymousreply 267March 25, 2020 2:48 PM

R267

Bar soap may be more environmentally friendly, but can be a nasty breeding ground for germs. There is a reason you haven't seen bars of soap in hospitals or other healthcare facilities in ages. When it is used normally comes part of bedside kit that patients receive for their use only.

Each time anyone touches a bar of soap it becomes coated with whatever is growing on their hands. Bar then goes down wet to sit in a damp dish until it dries (if ever) before being used again. Where people don't use wash cloths but lather themselves up with bar of soap only bits of hair and god only knows what else are transferred.

by Anonymousreply 268March 25, 2020 3:01 PM

Toilet paper may take a while for many places to get and keep sufficient stock.

For many stores entire warehouse/distribution system is out of inventory, so places are waiting for orders from manufacturers to arrive. That then must go through distribution systems and finally make it to local stores.

Most shops near me have lots of paper towels, napkins, etc.. and are getting more with each shipment, but no TP.

by Anonymousreply 269March 25, 2020 3:04 PM

R259 you and your weird vegan issues

by Anonymousreply 270March 25, 2020 4:40 PM

My supermarket was totally out of popsicles. I didn't know people like popsicles that much

by Anonymousreply 271March 25, 2020 4:53 PM

r268 What about antibacterial bar soaps?

by Anonymousreply 272March 25, 2020 4:59 PM

Oh please R272, you BOUGHT that bullshit?

by Anonymousreply 273March 25, 2020 5:28 PM

I wanted to get yeast but it's almost as unavailable as toilet paper. I like to bake and went to various grocery delivery services to put it in my cart for my next order. I tried Amazon Fresh, Amazon Pantry, Peapod, Fresh Direct, Stop & Shop - all out. I started to think of less familiar sites that sell it and the same thing.

This site called My Spice Sage sells about every spice and herb and food related substance that is made into a powder and they have no yeast - from the 4oz bag to the 50lb box. Out of curiosity, I even went to Ebay the people there are jacking up their prices to take advantage of the "shortage". Who know that yeast would become a commodity.

by Anonymousreply 274March 25, 2020 5:53 PM

[quote] Who know that yeast would become a commodity.

I have no shortage of it.

by Anonymousreply 275March 25, 2020 6:02 PM

Panic (hoarding) buying affects us all and it is just not that the item is not available.

"Wholesale egg prices have risen 180% since the beginning of March"

"Due to a limited supply and higher than usual demand, our suppliers have increased their prices on eggs," a sign posted at Stop & Shop in Boston said. "As a result, you may see higher prices starting Saturday, March 21, as well as potential interruptions in supply."

"Egg prices have increased by 14% at Morton Williams stores in New York."

"It is unconscionable that the egg industry has doubled prices because of increased demand. It is hitting low-income New Yorkers the hardest, as so many have lost their jobs working in restaurants and hotels," said Avi Kaner, a spokesperson for Morton Williams."

The hoarders should be ashamed of themselves.

by Anonymousreply 276March 25, 2020 6:14 PM

^^That's from an article on CNN's website.

by Anonymousreply 277March 25, 2020 6:14 PM

I'm on Best Buy's website and one of the popular picks for today is...a chest freezer. Whoever is buying them is planning on hoarding.

by Anonymousreply 278March 25, 2020 6:22 PM

If you're looking to make a lasagna, you're in luck.

by Anonymousreply 279March 25, 2020 6:28 PM

Hasn't the diary industry been suffering in recent years? I would think this has put some money in their pockets as people have cleared out diary like it won't exist anymore.

by Anonymousreply 280March 25, 2020 6:34 PM

[quote] If you're looking to make a lasagna, you're in luck.

Even the lasagna noodles are gone in my nearest supermarket. There are quite a bit of jar sauces, though (Prego, etc.). I'm wondering if most people even have a lasagne-sized pans (9x13 or so). I do! But I didn't buy lasagna.

by Anonymousreply 281March 25, 2020 8:56 PM

R240 does “that” in the relative clause here serve to indicate that vegans aren’t human?

by Anonymousreply 282March 25, 2020 10:14 PM

Don't cross a vegan. They are ill-tempered because they are always starving.

by Anonymousreply 283March 25, 2020 10:35 PM

R278, I have long wanted one of those. The only thing that stopped me was laziness: I have to move some stuff around and sort through and throw out some other stuff to make room for it, and I kept procrastinating. Now, I wish I'd made the time 2-3 months ago. I'd have stocked up (even more) on freezable perishables when they were still plentiful.

The great thing about most chest freezers is that they're not self-defrosting. They don't go through the warm-up cycles that self-defrosting freezers do, so the food stays at 0 degrees all the time. That preserves quality much better for some products, especially baked goods, and bags of frozen vegetables don't congeal into solid blocks, or at least not as quickly.

by Anonymousreply 284March 25, 2020 11:02 PM

I went to the store today and it was too fucking creepy in there, which the first time I've felt that way since this shit happened. I'm not going back until I run out of something I absolutely need.

by Anonymousreply 285March 26, 2020 2:00 AM

Dear God, I just want some hamburger and hot dog buns.

by Anonymousreply 286March 26, 2020 2:03 AM

I was trying to buy a 5.0 cu.ft. chest freezer today. Everyone is sold out until May-June. I checked Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowe's, Target, Sears, and 2 local appliance stores. I was planning to stock up on beef, chicken, fish, bread, vegetables, fruit, etc, over time. I don't want to hoard but just build some reserves over time in the freezer and also the pantry.

by Anonymousreply 287March 26, 2020 2:05 AM

R274, retry making your own yeast . Here's one way

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 288March 26, 2020 2:56 AM

Btw, you can do a starter with all purpose white flour too.

by Anonymousreply 289March 26, 2020 2:58 AM

I love how people on this thread are outraged by all the classless tasteless hoarders, but when it comes to themselves, are all “little special ME, I just want a chest freezer full of groceries and a storage full of toilet paper, that’s just common sense!”

by Anonymousreply 290March 26, 2020 3:44 AM

Nobody's been talking about hoarding for themselves, just about picking up random things they can't get.

by Anonymousreply 291March 26, 2020 3:51 AM

There are going to be some happy and wealthy plumbers before this is all over. People using paper towels and napkins instead of toiler paper is going to do a number on pipes and septic systems as the former aren't made to be flushed down toilet.

Odd thing is little bodegas and local "hood" or area supermarkets are often quite well stocked with most everything. It is the larger chain stores that seem to be having problems keeping shelves stocked.

Here is a local EV place; and you can see they are very well stocked, even with TP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292March 26, 2020 3:52 AM

I went to Family Dollar today and they had toilet paper, as well as all-purpose flour. No yeast but they had baking powder.

by Anonymousreply 293March 26, 2020 3:55 AM

R272

Here you go;

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 294March 26, 2020 4:08 AM

But there is quite a bit of range in opinions

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295March 26, 2020 4:09 AM

i did try the trader joes reduced fat mac and cheese, it tastes of bile. i am surprised it is still made and sold. the store is fully stocked now, they have everything including a few rolls of toilet paper. but the line situation is out of control. long ass lines filled with throngs of shoppers defeats the purpose of the self quarantine and i am trying to stay my ass inside.

by Anonymousreply 296March 26, 2020 4:18 AM

R296 do the trader joe staff still attempt to make a small talk during checkout?

by Anonymousreply 297March 26, 2020 4:51 AM

R290 seems to have poor reading comprehension. Or is just mad about something.

by Anonymousreply 298March 26, 2020 5:12 AM

Stand-alone freezers have been out of stock nationally since the first week in March. I looked in to getting one that week (for other reasons, not hoarding!) and the guy helping me at Home Depot looked up on the computer to see what else was available since they didn’t have one in stock that has the features I wanted. He commented on how it was very strange but even on the each manufacturer’s website it was saying they were out of stock. He couldn’t understand it.

by Anonymousreply 299March 26, 2020 6:03 AM

There are tons of stand alone freezers both new and used on eBay, Craigslist, Amazon. and other online sources.

by Anonymousreply 300March 26, 2020 9:17 AM

I know where you can get one cheap. Dude refurbishes them and sells them off his front porch.

by Anonymousreply 301March 26, 2020 9:31 AM

R301 is he in West Virginia?

by Anonymousreply 302March 26, 2020 10:58 AM

"Store throws out $35K worth of food that woman coughed on in 'twisted prank'

A woman played a "twisted prank" at a Pennsylvania grocery store Wednesday by purposefully coughing on about $35,000 worth of food, which had to be thrown out, the supermarket said.

The co-owner of the Gerrity's supermarket in Hanover Township said authorities were working to get the woman tested for coronavirus.

The Hanover Township Police Department said it is investigating the incident and that charges would be filed against the suspect, who underwent a mental health evaluation."

On nbcnews site, but can't link just for this story.

by Anonymousreply 303March 26, 2020 3:44 PM

Just got back from Walmart. They had a few 4 pack of Charmin TP. They had a few 400 count napkins so I picked up a pack. Felt like I hit the jackpot with those two.

by Anonymousreply 304March 26, 2020 8:18 PM

r297, yes. but it never bothered me and I respect these people more for going to work and keeping things going along to keep things as normal as possible.

by Anonymousreply 305March 26, 2020 8:49 PM

Wow Kroger has the most liberal days for seniors to shop. In my state it is Fry's and seniors can shop Monday - Thursday from 6am - 7am. I would imagine by doing this they are hoping it would limit the number of seniors that come to the store on any given day. And the age is 60+ while other stores it is 65+.

by Anonymousreply 306March 26, 2020 10:45 PM

R303

Stupid woman has been located and arrested!

This really deserves own thread, but here are details.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307March 26, 2020 11:08 PM

this is why people hoard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308March 26, 2020 11:48 PM

Page not found R308.

by Anonymousreply 309March 27, 2020 12:09 AM

Linky Stinky

by Anonymousreply 310March 27, 2020 12:42 AM

trader Joe’s has temporarily closed five stores after a number of employees showed symptoms and tested positive for the coronavirus. The grocery chain made the announcement on Wednesday, saying that it was taking precautions to clean and sanitize its stores.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311March 27, 2020 12:43 AM

Silkwood scrub for everyone before their shift.

by Anonymousreply 312March 27, 2020 12:47 AM

IIRC in Germany and some other countries doctors, nurses and other staff do not travel to work nor leave hospital in uniform/scrubs. People arrive, change into facility provided uniforms/scrubs (perhaps even shoes or footwear covers), and at end of shift they change back again into street cloths. The used uniforms/scrubs are sent to the laundry. German hospitals put much of those in USA to shame; you can almost literally eat off the floors because places are kept immaculate.

OTOH all that hospital provided uniforms and laundering of them costs money; American healthcare facilities would never go for it based on laundry and supply costs alone.

by Anonymousreply 313March 27, 2020 12:52 AM

I meant this kind of scrub.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314March 27, 2020 12:57 AM

It's all about money in America.

by Anonymousreply 315March 27, 2020 12:58 AM

No, I don't want no scrubs

by Anonymousreply 316March 27, 2020 1:11 AM

Paper towels and off-brand of toilet paper now available where I shop.

by Anonymousreply 317March 27, 2020 5:35 AM

Yeah same here, R317. I had to buy Fiora brand. I haven't cracked the package yet. I wonder what it's like?

by Anonymousreply 318March 27, 2020 5:42 AM

All the canned pasta was gone at my Walmart. Except Spaghetti-Os. Go figure?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319March 27, 2020 6:35 AM

R318 , I'm kinda picky about TP, you'll have to make do (no pun intended) for now.

R317

by Anonymousreply 320March 27, 2020 6:39 AM

R318

Probably like Scott Tissue; single ply, thin, cheap and like using sand paper. Not much different than the stuff in school lavatories.

Thank god laid in a supply of the good stuff (Charmin and Quilted Northern) before all this madness started.

by Anonymousreply 321March 27, 2020 7:30 AM

I could only get my hands on some Kleenex tissues with aloe, and I have to say my asshole feels great. It's nice stuff to wipe your ass with if you can't get any tp.

by Anonymousreply 322March 27, 2020 7:32 AM

After you scrub your hands it’s OK to use hand lotion on them (unless you’ll be doing surgery.)

by Anonymousreply 323March 27, 2020 7:44 AM

Went to Target today - shelves are completely bare of any kind of paper products for the third week. No antibacterial anything, not much in the way of laundry supplies. Did manage to score some regular creamy peanut butter - lately no one around here seems to have anything but the oily natural kind, or the ones that have jelly or honey mixed in. Also noticed that they had several kinds of boxed pasta in stock as well. The real dilemma now is toilet paper - haven't seen any on the shelves in weeks, and our supply is dwindling. My mother went to Costco today during their senior shopping period hoping to find some, without success. (They did have paper towels though, thank God.)

by Anonymousreply 324March 27, 2020 10:18 AM

r324 the smaller latino groceries around me have TP but it’s off-brand single ply. the larger groceries (in my case, Lowe’s Foods and Harris Teeter) are getting TP on their trucks but it flies off the shelves immediately.

by Anonymousreply 325March 27, 2020 11:20 AM

Just a thought for those of you running out of paper towels, in our house we have decided to pull out every dish towel and hand towel and any other small towels we have and leave them by the sinks that we will be washing up at to use as drying cloths. I also put an empty pail next to each sink to drop the used towel into. And except for when we use the disinfectant spray for countertops and the like we are using the small washcloths as dry cloths 100% of the time. I figure it's saved about 10 rolls of paper towels this week alone. I will buy a new supply of hand towels and dishcloths on all this is over with.

by Anonymousreply 326March 27, 2020 2:20 PM

You were using 10 rolls of paper towels a week? WOW. I don't even use 1. I have always simply had a hand towel in the bathroom and kitchen for drying hands, and launder them regularly. I barely use paper towels for anything.

by Anonymousreply 327March 27, 2020 10:47 PM

Strangely, the TV dinner section is completely full. Our grocery stores are almost always running 4/$10 or 5/$10 on many of them. Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice are great, and you're getting a complete meal with protein and vegetables. The family size Stouffer's meals are also fully stocked. At least with frozen meals, they're in a box that contains the meal itself in it's own sealed container - so you don't have to worry about infected people touching your food directly.

Stores like Dollar Tree are always stocked up on pasta's and canned goods. I haven't checked out Big Lot's recently, but I barely see any cars in their parking lot, and they usually have plenty of paper products, pantry products, and frozen foods.

If you have a GFS (Gordon Food Service) near you, you can find tons of stuff in bulk there. Boxes of frozen steaks, chicken, salmon, large bags of mixed vegetable blends, and more.

by Anonymousreply 328March 27, 2020 11:18 PM

TV dinners like Stouffers are nothing but sodium bombs. Some of the worst shit you could eat.

by Anonymousreply 329March 27, 2020 11:26 PM

R329 is reducing again and feeling superior.

by Anonymousreply 330March 27, 2020 11:33 PM

The point of R328's post R329 was there was food available for people to stock up. It is not ideal, but it is better than nothing.

by Anonymousreply 331March 27, 2020 11:35 PM

R329, we're in the middle of a national emergency. No one cares if the food they are temporarily eating is "healthy", as long as it tastes OK, is safe in the moment (i.e. not spoiled) and can be stored. I seriously think some of you health fanatics would starve to death on a desert isle while surrounded by hundreds of cases of processed food. "I can't eat that! It's loaded with sodium and preservatives!"

R328, one reason why frozen dinners may be in plentiful supply is that people have already stocked up (I remember when they were all sold out) and have no more room in their freezer. Freezer capacity is a big issue for anyone trying to maintain a good supply of food on hand.

by Anonymousreply 332March 27, 2020 11:38 PM

Ran into local Duane Reade because know today is "truck day" to see if TP came in, which it did; store brand and some Charmin. The latter is on sale this week that version didn't come in so didn't bother. Have enough TP for another two weeks or so; though may go back in later when out for walk to get just one pack to stash as reserve. Can always return it later on if not used....

Cannot imagine this near total lock down of NYC is going to last more than another week. At going into three weeks the economic pain is real and people are starting to freak out. There is something about first of month and knowing rent is due that bothers people.

by Anonymousreply 333March 27, 2020 11:39 PM

Since I'm unable to go to the gym or exercise classes, I'm being super-diligent about what I eat. I refuse to let a national emergency turn me into a ginormous fatass.

by Anonymousreply 334March 27, 2020 11:42 PM

I am in neeof protein and I have a hard time finding it.

by Anonymousreply 335March 27, 2020 11:44 PM

Lot's of Easter Eggs left here in the UK.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336March 27, 2020 11:46 PM

You might try Vitacost and get the protein powder R335. They usually have better deals than Amazon.

by Anonymousreply 337March 27, 2020 11:46 PM

Why are hoarders, hoarding? I do not get it. I have never hoarded in my life and see no reason for it now.

by Anonymousreply 338March 27, 2020 11:48 PM

I cook/eat healthy 95% of the time, but I'm okay dying happy with some Stouffers Mac n Cheese in my belly.

I also have a frozen Marie Callender's pie crust. I think I'll make a big chocolate cream pie too.

by Anonymousreply 339March 27, 2020 11:51 PM

r388, because stores have closed when the staff staff members became infected with covid. because the self quarantine regulations are unclear and we do not know if we are gonna be indoors indefinitely. because the shelves have been bare of certain items for extended periods of time. hand sanitizer, toilet paper? still not widely available, i do not think toilet paper is a necessity of life and i think we can make do without it. but it does make life easier to have it. tylenol? can't find it. there are anecdotal tales of covid patients who treated themselves with advil having harder times recovering from it. rubbing alcohol and peroxide? cant find it. now eggs are hard to purchase.

by Anonymousreply 340March 27, 2020 11:57 PM

If you can afford to shop at small local stores you can get anything you want, you'll probably pay 20-30% more than in a supermarket though. Seems to be working for me.

by Anonymousreply 341March 28, 2020 12:01 AM

I was at Walmart today and they had plenty of peroxide and rubbing alcohol. It might be store specific. The vet my dog is going to says the Walmart by her doesn't have peroxide or rubbing alcohol.

by Anonymousreply 342March 28, 2020 12:03 AM

i still do not see hand soap widely available but bar soap is.

by Anonymousreply 343March 28, 2020 12:05 AM

Will someone please reply and explain how to start a thread? I am paid in full. These observations are fascinating.

by Anonymousreply 344March 28, 2020 12:08 AM

I find the international handwringing and scolding about so-called hoarding ridiculous, for the various reasons r340 mentioned.

I don’t want to go to 6 stores every other day hoping to find the rolling list of things I need. When I get a chance to stock up, I do. And I’m not leaving the house. My Instacart or Shipt person is tipped well, and I source many things Like TP and paper towels online.

by Anonymousreply 345March 28, 2020 12:17 AM

R343

Many homes lack the "infrastructure" if you will for bar soaps in kitchen or near bathroom or any other sink having discarded soap dishes. That or they just don't want to deal with the mess that comes from using bar soap at sink. Shower or bath is another matter.

People likely are using hand dish washing liquid instead of liquid hand soap. Have noticed dish washing liquid is also flying off store shelves.

by Anonymousreply 346March 28, 2020 12:19 AM

Toilet paper shortages and the virus itself are both because of overpopulation and heterosexuals having too many kids.

by Anonymousreply 347March 28, 2020 12:25 AM

R344 there should be a bar at the bottom of your screen when you are on the "page" where all the threads are. It says "New Thread" and has a pencil next to it. Click on it and magic happens.

by Anonymousreply 348March 28, 2020 12:26 AM

It's not so much overpopulation (although that is a factor, of course) but people just simply hoarding. People buying multiple packs of toilet paper and not stopping.

And the virus itself started because of the disgusting cultural practices of the Chinese.

by Anonymousreply 349March 28, 2020 12:28 AM

The virus spread would not have happened if there weren't so many people.

by Anonymousreply 350March 28, 2020 12:34 AM

[quote]The virus spread would not have happened if there weren't so many people.

But there ARE, Blanche!

by Anonymousreply 351March 28, 2020 12:38 AM

Not for long!

by Anonymousreply 352March 28, 2020 12:40 AM

I don't understand why people use paper towels at all. I grew up with a big drawer of kitchen towels - thicker ones for drying your hands and thinner ones for drying dishes. Then there was a basket of many homemade rags from worn out old clothes, sheets, etc. "Soft" rags (old flannel pj's or worn-out kitchen towels) for dusting or washing down hard surfaces, and "hard" rags (thinner broadcloth) for windows. So that's what I started accumulating when I moved out on my own as an adult. Was this rare?

by Anonymousreply 353March 28, 2020 12:42 AM

People often used kitchen sponges to clean off tables, countertops, etc., but they're bacteria magnets (which is why they smell after a while). I think paper towels were seen and sold as a more hygienic way to do quick cleanups in the kitchen and bathroom.

by Anonymousreply 354March 28, 2020 12:47 AM

R350 Yes it would, the world population was only 1.8 Billion in 1918 (about 100 Million in The US) and a Pandemic worse than this started.

Go back even further to 1665 when the plague hit and there were only 550 million people on the planet.

by Anonymousreply 355March 28, 2020 12:48 AM

A lot of people use paper towels and bleach spray or Fantastik or whatever to wipe down countertops and tables. Also to clean up spills.

by Anonymousreply 356March 28, 2020 12:49 AM

I buy about a 12 Microfiber Cloths every month and wash 6 every day at 60c (140f) with my towels, you can use them with bleach or lye with out ruining them. They get downgraded to shoe/utility cloths at the end of the month when I replace them.

I live in the UK and have a washing machine in the utility room off the kitchen though so it probably makes my regimen easier.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357March 28, 2020 1:01 AM

R353 Do you toss these rags after one use? Because, for those of us doomed to using public laundromats, I can tell you that an entire roll of paper towels would cost less than what it would cost me to do a separate load of dirty cloth rags at the laundry every other week. ($1.75 to wash, probably another $1.00 to dry, plus the soap and bleach)

by Anonymousreply 358March 28, 2020 1:05 AM

I wish one of you would do an instructional video on using dish towels etc. in the household. My husband goes through ridiculous amounts of paper towels and we throw away mountains of them every week.

by Anonymousreply 359March 28, 2020 1:07 AM

R327 4 bathrooms, kitchen and 3 adults all using one sheet of paper towel per hand wash, washing hands about twice an hour each and then using new sheet to use cleaner for cabinet handles, etc. Makes for a huge amount of paper towels, hence the switch. And are you reusing your hand towel? I never reuse towels, neither bath or hand towels. Once and wash, even before this Covid 19. Don't reuse the same towel, even if you live alone. Stay healthy.

by Anonymousreply 360March 28, 2020 1:08 AM

R358 I Wash them every day and they get used over again for about a month, then I buy new ones (the Microfiber isn't as good after that). It costs about 30p (40c) to wash and dry them and my towels every day (machine does both). Works out to about $3 a week I think.

We don't really have Laundromat's (Launderette's) in the UK any longer. There are about 40 (mainly used by students) in Greater Manchester for 2.5 million people. Everyone has a machine at home.

by Anonymousreply 361March 28, 2020 1:30 AM

I grew up in a family of five and we did re-use the hand towels for drying our hands during the day. The bath towels certainly had more than one use, but they were washed frequently. Mom died in her 80s so I can't ask her what her washing schedule was, but she was the type to have had one. None of us were sickly, even when we used bar soap in the bathroom!

Now I use my bath sheets twice before washing, and a new washcloth every day (every so often I get a new batch of the cheap ones at Target). I swap out hand towels every 3 days, and face towels every 3 days.

In the kitchen I use a new dishcloth (never a sponge) every day, including some that mom made. Never use a dishcloth to wipe down the counter/sink - that's a rag from the basket.

Always have had a washer and dryer - I didn't even consider how inconvenient it would be not to have those.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362March 28, 2020 1:36 AM

Interesting thing about this pandemic is how DLers have all shared our eating, cleaning and toilet habits. I never would've imagined we would all be chiming in to discuss how many times a day we all take a shit and how much toilet paper we use.

by Anonymousreply 363March 28, 2020 1:49 AM

358 I forgot to add that I think that detergent and bleach are cheaper in the UK, plus most people still have fixed price water supplies (we can use as much as we like) with a standard bill.

by Anonymousreply 364March 28, 2020 1:55 AM

I dry my face with a paper towel.

Cuts way down on zits.

by Anonymousreply 365March 28, 2020 1:55 AM

My one roll of paper towels used every two weeks might be more green than doing another load of laundry every day. How many gallons of water per load, I wonder? There's a drought where I live.

by Anonymousreply 366March 28, 2020 2:01 AM

Yes, R366, out here in California water is a precious commodity - doing multiple extra loads of towels every week in addition to the ones I already do feels more wasteful than a roll of paper towels.

[quote]

by Anonymousreply 367March 28, 2020 4:41 AM

In the produce section I noticed that parsnips, rutabagas and turnips were plentiful. Not very many carrots or potatoes left, however.

by Anonymousreply 368March 28, 2020 4:46 AM

Fantastic (brand) falafel has been hard to find for a long time. It's vegan and, IMO, delicious. Available on Amazon, though. I think I'll order maybe 3 boxes. Instructions say to deep or shallow fry. I don't do either. I just pour oil in the pan like making eggs. Comes out more like patties than balls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369March 28, 2020 5:01 AM

R353

At one time cloth was the preferred hand or kitchen towel for home, businesses, etc... Those old enough to remember gents and ladies rooms had cloth towels on a roller type contraption.

In any event first for business/commercial/public use then in home there was a great push against "dirty" and "germ filled" cloth towels. You never knew who used them previously, and not every place or home was religious about frequent changing. Then of course there were laundry bills; someone had to wash, and iron all those cloth towels (except for terrycloth of course).

Paper towels were introduced as more sanitary because they were disposable. Also they cut laundry bills and or meant housewives had less of that to do. Finally paper towels are better for wiping up some soils, spills and messes. You can deal with beet root, red wine, grease, oil, etc.... with paper towels then throw them away. Suppose you could keep a rag bin but who has time to run that down when your guest has just spilled an entire bottle of red wine?

by Anonymousreply 370March 28, 2020 5:50 AM

R361, do you have a dryer as well? I seem to recall reading that dryers were much less common in the UK than in the US.

If not, where do you dry all that stuff? How do you avoid having drying towels hanging all over the place?

by Anonymousreply 371March 28, 2020 8:43 AM

R371 I have a combined Washer/dryer (so my towels/cloths wash and dry in one cycle) and a dedicated covered rear balcony for drying clothes outside (the one's that would be ruined in a dryer). I also have over half an acre of garden (about half the size of a football pitch). We had a dryer at home from the early 1970's when they were uncommon.

About 60% of UK households have a dryer now, Most people with a garden/yard also line dry in good weather.

That's pretty much how most of Europe works from my experience.

by Anonymousreply 372March 28, 2020 11:59 AM

I love Rao’s spaghetti sauce but it gives my partner heartburn so I can only have it rarely

by Anonymousreply 373March 28, 2020 12:34 PM

American here, and if people in my neighborhood started having clotheslines in their yards it would be an epic shitshow.

by Anonymousreply 374March 28, 2020 3:54 PM

Clothes Lines are used everywhere outside of the US. Apartments in Southern Europe have dedicated clothes drying balconies at the rear of the buildings.

by Anonymousreply 375March 28, 2020 4:14 PM

What's wrong with clotheslines? I just love my clothes to have that fresh-air smell!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376March 28, 2020 4:17 PM

The HOA control freaks would positively shit themselves, is why we don’t have clotheslines in the U.S.

by Anonymousreply 377March 28, 2020 4:25 PM

Clotheslines are considered tacky in upscale neighborhoods in the US.

by Anonymousreply 378March 28, 2020 4:29 PM

Almost nobody line dries at the front of their house in the UK and because of the construction/density of our properties you can't see into the back gardens/yards from the street. Only your next door neighbor(s) would know if you had washing drying.

We don't really have HOA's either, I only know a handful of my neighbor's after 22 years in the same house.

by Anonymousreply 379March 28, 2020 4:43 PM

Every house on this street probably has washing line drying in the rear garden.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380March 28, 2020 5:02 PM

Paper towels were introduced not because of any (imaginary) sanitary advantages, but because companies were looking to increase their profits. Same with wet wipes and all other unnecessary pseudo-hygienic products.

Washing cloth towels after single use is a crime against humanity.

Insert the Greta “How DARE you” gif right here. She’s addressing all of you.

by Anonymousreply 381March 28, 2020 5:14 PM

If my dog barfs on the rug, I'm not going to clean it up with a cloth rag.

by Anonymousreply 382March 28, 2020 5:58 PM

[quote]Washing cloth towels after single use is a crime against humanity.

MRSA, staph and other bacteria thrive on unwashed towels. You do need to wash some after one use, depending on what they're being used for.

by Anonymousreply 383March 29, 2020 9:17 AM

A lot of bacteria thrive on your skin as well, not to mention your mouth, nasopharynx, and intestines, and it is perfectly normal. To put it mildly, such squeamishness is surprising on a gay site from people who practice rimming and bareback anal.

by Anonymousreply 384March 29, 2020 9:52 AM

Your towels etc. aren't going to be "sanitized" even when put through the hottest water or the hottest setting on your home washer/dryer. At hospitals, for those items which are not single use (getting rarer each year), laundry is done in industrial machines at temperatures and with disenfectants that simply aren't availabe for the home laundress. I'm all for single use towels if you can even find them at this point. That said, go ahead and wash your fucking clothes, but don't think for a second they are cootie free (I think that is the scientific term) Some of you need to unclench. There's common sense toward keeping things clean, then there is crazy, and god knows we are all crazy enough as it is.

by Anonymousreply 385March 29, 2020 10:03 AM

[quote]A lot of bacteria thrive on your skin as well, not to mention your mouth, nasopharynx, and intestines, and it is perfectly normal.

Irrelevant to this argument. We're talking about the ones that can actually cause you harm. The bacteria that naturally thrive in your mouth, on your skin, etc are just there. The intestinal ones can cause harm, but only if they get into your eyes or other places outside of the intestines that are vulnerable to them. MRSA and staph are no fucking joke.

by Anonymousreply 386March 29, 2020 11:00 AM

I have a Panasonic front loading machine that uses UV light to kill bugs, never use that cycle though.

Front loading washing machines can go up to 195f (90c) which is about 50f higher than a typical US top loading machine on a hot cycle. Doesn't seem to take any longer than a 60c cycle or noticeably use any more power.

by Anonymousreply 387March 29, 2020 1:29 PM

The jerks at my local grocery store keep buying out all the Extra Toasty Cheeze-Its, and leaving all the other flavor varieties and shapes behind.

by Anonymousreply 388March 29, 2020 2:46 PM

you reminded me to pickup some saltines the next time Im out, i typically keep a box in the cupboard until its stale and has to be tossed. heads up folks, the first of the month is coming up and people get their funds at this time. expect longer lines and emptier shelves.

by Anonymousreply 389March 29, 2020 4:59 PM

you reminded me to pickup some saltines the next time Im out, i typically keep a box in the cupboard until its stale and has to be tossed. heads up folks, the first of the month is coming up and people get their funds at this time. expect longer lines and emptier shelves.

by Anonymousreply 390March 29, 2020 4:59 PM

Still no one is buying those damn Hot Pockets. I haven't had one in like 25 years or so and now I'm tempted to see how bad they are.

I did try some Tostino pizza rolls and they were oddly satisfying. Not something I normally purchase but figured they are frozen so why not.

by Anonymousreply 391March 29, 2020 5:28 PM

[quote]Odd thing is little bodegas and local "hood" or area supermarkets are often quite well stocked with most everything. It is the larger chain stores that seem to be having problems keeping shelves stocked.

My sister works for Walmart's subsidiary in the UK and says the morning rush is largely local shop owners who sweep up all the toilet paper, pasta, disinfectant etc for sale at huge mark ups in their own shops. She sees the same faces day after day, so they are clearly not buying for themselves and she knows who most of them are. Large supermarkets with their own distribution networks have killed off most of the UK wholesalers for convenience stores, so the "panic buying" is to some extent due to some people who have spotted an opportunity.

by Anonymousreply 392March 29, 2020 10:52 PM

Strangely, smoked salmon, which I LOVE but avoid buying it often since it's pricey, has been marked down like $3 off per pack lately. I've been snapping those up pronto. Many of the traditionally more expensive brands and types of lunch meats at the deli have also been marked down by a few bucks per pound. Maybe it has something to do with the shortage of bread available? I'm not sure, but the in store bakeries typically have enough loaves of what I am looking for.

by Anonymousreply 393March 29, 2020 11:05 PM

Meat and fish don't last forever R393. They are probably discounting so they don't have to throw it out.

by Anonymousreply 394March 29, 2020 11:08 PM

Water based lube

by Anonymousreply 395March 29, 2020 11:08 PM

R394, smoked cured salmon lasts a long time in the freezer. It's only after you thaw it an open it that you need to use it up within 3-4 days. Unopened it can freeze for up to 3 months per package instructions. Frozen raw shrimp - 3 to 6 months.

by Anonymousreply 396March 29, 2020 11:17 PM

They don't look at it that way R396. They don't give a shit what you do with it after you buy it.

by Anonymousreply 397March 29, 2020 11:22 PM

R392 Noticed that myself, I live in the UK (Manchester) and have never seen my local (corner) shops so well stocked. You can buy everything.

I don't mind paying a bit extra to save the hassle of going to Walmart (Asda) at the minute though. I also don't buy all of the extra crap that I would if I went to a large supermarket.

by Anonymousreply 398March 29, 2020 11:26 PM

R393 I love it too but I haven’t seen it marked down anywhere — still $33.95 a pound. So I’ve been getting my fix with salmon sushi instead (just as good quality salmon).

by Anonymousreply 399March 29, 2020 11:27 PM

There is some middle ground between exclusive use of paper towels vs. exclusive use of cloth towels. Not everything can end up in a landfill.

by Anonymousreply 400March 29, 2020 11:28 PM

Observed in a local supermarket that all the cold cuts and pre-packaged meat were depleted except a stack of Oscar Mayer cracked black pepper bacon.

I've tried it before. Didn't like it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 401March 29, 2020 11:30 PM

[quote] The jerks at my local grocery store keep buying out all the Extra Toasty Cheeze-Its, and leaving all the other flavor varieties and shapes behind.

What is this "Extra Toasty" of which you speak? I didn't realize there were so many variations of Cheez-Its.

by Anonymousreply 402March 29, 2020 11:30 PM

R400 Paper towels decompose between two to four weeks, so they aren't clogging up the landfills.

by Anonymousreply 403March 29, 2020 11:31 PM

R399 Wow! you get so screwed on Smoked Salmon in the US, full price in the UK it's $23 (£18) a pound at most (often half that). Fresh Salmon is frequently on offer at $4 a pound, it's cheaper than Cod.

by Anonymousreply 404March 29, 2020 11:44 PM

R403 Bounty don't, I used some to grow plug plants in a couple of years ago and they were still in perfect condition after 6 months, full of soil and being regularly watered.

by Anonymousreply 405March 29, 2020 11:52 PM

R405 I guess it depends on conditions. Bounty says it should take 60 days for their towels to decompose in composting situations.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 406March 30, 2020 12:13 AM

[quote]What is this "Extra Toasty" of which you speak? I didn't realize there were so many variations of Cheez-Its.

Forget Extra Toasty, the white cheddar flavor is what you want.

by Anonymousreply 407March 30, 2020 6:02 AM

my brother says garlic was sold out in all the stores in his neighborhood! strange, these shortages. this is what living in a world country looks like. maga times!

by Anonymousreply 408March 30, 2020 6:40 AM

people are hanging it around their front doors.

by Anonymousreply 409March 30, 2020 6:45 AM

[quote]Forget Extra Toasty, the white cheddar flavor is what you want.

No, the Tabasco ones are where it's at!

by Anonymousreply 410March 30, 2020 6:48 AM

R408 , garlic bulbs were sold out at my nearest supermarket. In the same supermarket, I found organic, pre-peeled garlic (in the produce department). Little bit pricey, but it's fresh and convenient.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411March 30, 2020 7:03 AM

Lunch meat would be marked down, I assume, because people and students aren’t taking lunches to work/school.

by Anonymousreply 412March 30, 2020 7:12 AM

The lunch meat section was totally wiped out, because now parents have to make lunches for their kids staying at home.

by Anonymousreply 413March 30, 2020 7:45 AM

Got some lemon Oreos. I believe they are vegan. I'll let you guys know how they taste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414April 1, 2020 12:55 AM

They're alright, bought a few packs on a two-fer offer. Finished one and started on the other; but then then went off them so likely will throw rest away.

Something about commercial baked goods that taste too sweet IMHO. Even things from upscale gourmet shops seem better.

All time favorite cookie was Stella D'Oro breakfast treats, but they had to go and change things now don't taste same.

by Anonymousreply 415April 1, 2020 1:24 AM

I have the mint Girl Scout cookies, well not for long.

by Anonymousreply 416April 1, 2020 1:27 AM

R415 High Fructose Corn syrup generally fucks everything up.

by Anonymousreply 417April 1, 2020 1:29 AM

Everyone wants yeast.

by Anonymousreply 418April 1, 2020 1:32 AM

Back to the towels. I save on loads of laundry by having 2 packages of microfiber towels purchased from Costco for about $32 total. That's 72 towels. Most of these towels get used for a single cleaning job or two, and I change all my kitchen and hand towels each day. Microfiber maintains its magic cleaning abilities best if washed separately from cotton items and without fabric softener. I don't wash them until I have nearly used them all up. It takes me at least 2-3 weeks to do this.

by Anonymousreply 419April 1, 2020 7:30 PM

R419, I like the idea of microfiber towels, but the fibers snag on my hands & fingers. I don't have rough hands. I don't like the feeling of the snagging. Is there any trick to this? Do you have to use gloves?

by Anonymousreply 420April 1, 2020 9:00 PM

R416, I have a few foil sleeves of Thin Mints GS cookies stashed in my freezer.

by Anonymousreply 421April 1, 2020 9:30 PM

Mine are running low R421

by Anonymousreply 422April 1, 2020 10:27 PM

R420, the snag is what makes them so good at cleaning, even without cleansers. You'll have to get therapy or maybe powerful psych meds to get over your reaction to the sensation.

by Anonymousreply 423April 2, 2020 1:47 AM

R402, they are indeed a real thing and they're awesome!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424April 2, 2020 2:05 AM

R414, checking back. I like these lemon Oreos. Not as good as the Carr's ginger lemon cremes, but those are hard to find, even before Corona virus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 425April 2, 2020 3:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!