Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Where there's life, there's hope....Thread on glimmers of good news related to corona crisis

Report in WaPo today shows that China's effort to contain virus are working and country is starting to come back to life. Took about 6 weeks.

Washington researches testing first corona vaccine.

Malaria drug shows success in treating corona.

Got something hopeful to share?

by Anonymousreply 575November 12, 2020 4:48 PM

"Washington researchers" - you mean govt researchers? What a surprise that it's not the private sector.

by Anonymousreply 1March 16, 2020 9:46 PM

Great thread idea, OP. Thank you.

by Anonymousreply 2March 16, 2020 9:49 PM

I read something about monkeys NOT getting re-infected after having it...can't find the article.

by Anonymousreply 3March 16, 2020 9:54 PM

Israel will be out with their vaccine in less than 3 months. Theirs will be on the market long before the US. Now will Muslims and those who are very anti-Israel take it?

Great Britain is paying healthy volunteers $7,000 to be quarantined with TV, cable, video games, etc in a fully furnished hotel room. WA state is only paying $1,700 and it doesn't even include housing.

by Anonymousreply 4March 16, 2020 9:55 PM

It is quiet in NYC. Sure it has its depressing quality, but people are hunkering down and socially distancing reducing the effects by shear (lack) of numbers. Sacrifice now, for better times later.

by Anonymousreply 5March 16, 2020 10:00 PM

R1. No Washington state researchers. Private sector funded but I think connected to U Washington

by Anonymousreply 6March 16, 2020 10:04 PM

Nate Silver just posted a bunch of hopeful stats on Twitter. Can’t figure out how to link to them.

Says hopeful signs in China/South Korea and in willingness for US to shutdown.

by Anonymousreply 7March 16, 2020 10:09 PM

Probably fewer fatal traffic accidents.

by Anonymousreply 8March 16, 2020 10:28 PM

I wonder what impact is on environment. I’m thinking pretty good

by Anonymousreply 9March 16, 2020 10:43 PM

China was welding doors shut to keep people inside. That’s not happening in any western country. It’s proof social distancing works but it will not happen that fast for us. Hope I am wrong.

by Anonymousreply 10March 16, 2020 10:45 PM

Another thing China was doing was taking everyone’s temperature whenever they went outside and if you had a fever you were taken away and thrown in quarantine away from your family for 14 days, no questions asked.

by Anonymousreply 11March 16, 2020 10:47 PM

Global emissions of pollution are down by huge numbers, like 30 percent.

by Anonymousreply 12March 16, 2020 10:52 PM

[quote]Global emissions of pollution are down by huge numbers, like 30 percent.

Might give the planet a chance to rebalance and recover.

by Anonymousreply 13March 16, 2020 11:06 PM

Pollution map N. Italy - then and now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14March 16, 2020 11:07 PM

That's amazing ^

by Anonymousreply 15March 16, 2020 11:09 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 16, 2020 11:10 PM

Oh...shit. then it is happening!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17March 16, 2020 11:12 PM

That didn't work.

here's the link dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8116571/Monkeys-reinfected-coronavirus-scientists-find.html?ito=social-twitter_mailonline

by Anonymousreply 18March 16, 2020 11:13 PM

Well the virus is taking out mainly older people and older people tend to vote for Trump. So maybe there is hope. BTW I am 68 but never vote for Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 19March 17, 2020 12:18 AM

Only whites born before 1945, especially males, better identify as Republican. Non-whites need to be saved.

By contrast, African American voters remain overwhelmingly Democratic: 84% identify with or lean toward the Democratic Party. Just 8% of black voters identify in some way with the Republican Party.

By more than two-to-one (63% to 28%), Hispanic voters are more likely to affiliate with or lean toward the Democratic Party than the GOP.

And how about the DL minority whipping boys:

The share of Asian American voters who identify as Republican is now only 12%.

by Anonymousreply 20March 17, 2020 12:46 AM

Out of sheer boredom, Mrs. Dan Savage literally cleaned his dildos today, so Seattle is safer from the Virus, and other pathogens unknown even to science.

by Anonymousreply 21March 17, 2020 1:00 AM

Funny, R17.

by Anonymousreply 22March 17, 2020 1:08 AM

It’s probable that the trump family is infected.

by Anonymousreply 23March 17, 2020 2:53 AM

So much for this thread...

by Anonymousreply 24March 19, 2020 1:42 AM

Apparently China is now saying there were no new cases of the virus yesterday/today. I have trouble believing anything they say, but I hope it's true.

by Anonymousreply 25March 19, 2020 1:54 AM

There have been a few reports in MSM that scientists at the University of Brisbane in Australia have had success by treating their patients with a combination of two drugs usually used to treat malaria and HIV,

Is that true? Is it not hopeful if true?

by Anonymousreply 26March 19, 2020 1:55 AM

There is a retired UK physician, John Campbell, who has become a recent YouTube sensation re Coronavirus. He posts updates every day showing stats from virtually all major countries. Seems like an archetypal English country doctor. He is a bit of a slow talker and some of his videos are TLDR but one is devoted to how taking vitamin D can reduce the severity of respiratory viruses, tested on a disease called Acute Respiratory Disease Syndrome (ARDS) but thought likely applicable to COVID-19. Since I had a few bottles of vitamin D and I haven't been taking it lately, I thought why not. I don't know if he specified a dosage. You can get too much vitamin D, so don't take more than 4000 IU daily. 800 IU is recommended as normal dose. Doesn't prevent getting the virus but some possibiity it could keep you from dying--gives me HOPE!

by Anonymousreply 27March 19, 2020 1:58 AM

From mid-November, that's not six weeks, OP. It took them 6 weeks to shut down cities and ban travelling at Chinese New Year. Same scenario as the US now. Precious early 6 weeks that could have been done something to prevent this catastrophe.

by Anonymousreply 28March 19, 2020 2:00 AM

The Cuban government allowed a British cruise ship carrying over a 1000 passengers and crew to dock in Havana this morning after several Caribbean countries, members of the British Commonwealth, refused permission for the ship to dock at their ports. Five people aboard the cruise ship tested positive for the virus, according to a statement from Fred Olsen Cruise Lines. A further 28 passengers and 27 crew members, including a doctor, are in isolation after displaying symptoms. The number has been rising over the past few days.

With the help of the Cuban government, three flights from Havana to Heathrow and one to Boscombe Down, a British military base near London are departing tonight to carry the passengers home. Any passengers who are too ill to travel will be treated in Cuban hospitals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 19, 2020 2:43 AM

Great thread idea, OP. Thank you.

And this is for R9:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 19, 2020 3:38 AM

R26. Chloraquine (?) is the old malaria drug that is effective. Good thing is we know it’s safe. Record fast development of vaccine and testing in Washington State. Go IOD things happening.

by Anonymousreply 31March 19, 2020 3:43 AM

Much needed thread, thanks OP.

by Anonymousreply 32March 19, 2020 3:50 AM

I read today that they might be able to use existing drugs that are currently used to treat other viruses on patients with the Coronavirus.

by Anonymousreply 33March 19, 2020 3:56 AM

Gas in my area (Charlottesvillle, VA) is down to $1.99/gallon

by Anonymousreply 34March 19, 2020 3:59 AM

Bayer is donating a large supply its Chloraquine (which is also relatively inexpensive to make) to the US government.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 19, 2020 4:06 AM

China took drastic steps to confine the virus. The US won't or if they do, the public will sabotage it.

by Anonymousreply 36March 19, 2020 4:11 AM

For the first time since this all began, China is reporting zero new infections today. Yes, I realize they could be lying.

by Anonymousreply 37March 19, 2020 4:18 AM

Oops. Sorry. I didn't see the post saying exactly this above.

by Anonymousreply 38March 19, 2020 4:20 AM

I lost 20 pounds on the AYDS diet plan.

by Anonymousreply 39March 19, 2020 4:31 AM

"Lose weight with AYDS!" was briefly their marketing slogan in the mid 1980s. My partner, who was dying and wasting and was going from 150 muscular hunky pounds to skin stretched over bones were watching TV together when that commercial came on. At first we both froze, then looked at each other horrified and then both of us burst out laughing.

I lost George just a few months later. I moved on and have had a good life but I still miss him dearly.

by Anonymousreply 40March 19, 2020 4:57 AM

How much can you lose on the Corona Beer diet plan?

by Anonymousreply 41March 19, 2020 5:04 AM

According to this site, China's infected patients are at an 88% recovery rate nationwide. It's taken them around three months to get to this point, with the peak happening in the last month. They're clearing the finish line if those numbers are correct, largely because they have taken strict measures to quarantine. The USA is still in the early stages of the outbreak. If we follow a stringent quarantine policy, we could potentially follow China's lead and be out of the woods in 2–3 months. The problem is that we all have to cooperate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42March 19, 2020 5:13 AM

at least it's not ebola

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 19, 2020 5:18 AM

R11

That's not entirely true. If you had a fever, they'd test you for pneumonia and regular flu, and if you had neither, they put you in quarantine. It would hardly do to take people sick of something else, throw them in with actual COVID sufferers, and increase the infection rate.

It would have to get extremely dire in the U.S. for Americans to enforce involuntary quarantine, so I'll be surprised if this blows over as quickly here.

by Anonymousreply 44March 19, 2020 9:09 AM

You'll wish you had died of absolutely anything if you take a fucking fluoroquinolone and have to find a way to survive with the fucking permanently disabling side effects, which no one can or will treat because Bayer/J&J/etc. are the only ones with the funding to research the devastation caused by the bio-weapons they sell as medications. Fuck Bayer! They invented the Nazi nerve gas.

by Anonymousreply 45March 19, 2020 9:16 AM

So many negative dark clouds on this otherwise hopeful thread.

But I realize they have to post their Darkness otherwise, they will die.

Thank you for the DL'rs bringing light.

by Anonymousreply 46March 19, 2020 9:17 AM

I am hoping hot summer weather will help, somehow. Won’t it be a relief to look back on this crap once it passes? Really looking forward to that. .

by Anonymousreply 47March 19, 2020 10:21 AM

Things in the USA got this bad because of what lowlife Trump did to the CDC and all agencies for that matter. He got rid of all the best and brightest and put in dummies or he left the agencies empty. This man has destroyed us and the news hounds don't report it and never did. The complete faill of our country, because no one took a weapon into the oval office and got rid of the ignorant swine who watched TV in our White House.

by Anonymousreply 48March 19, 2020 10:34 AM

I remember when President Obama left the White House he looked into the camera and said, "Everything is going to be alright." No Berry, everything is not all right.

by Anonymousreply 49March 19, 2020 10:36 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 19, 2020 10:50 AM

R27 Good to know. My partner and I have been taking Emergen-C+ with 1,000IU of vitamin D every day, and making sure my mother takes it as well.

R45 Fine, I'll have your dose when the time comes.

by Anonymousreply 51March 19, 2020 11:46 AM

R49, he also hinted around to saying “When my fellow Americans get off their fat asses and back me up, we might eventually get that change”

by Anonymousreply 52March 19, 2020 11:55 AM

Here's some good news from Harvard

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 19, 2020 9:18 PM

Free Doris Day movies will put you in a good mood. Enjoy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54March 19, 2020 9:53 PM

Hedy Lamarr was pushing AYDS early 1950s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 19, 2020 9:54 PM

There are a lot of kids who hate school because they are bullied, teased, don't fit in, etc. I'm not saying it's a good thing that this outbreak is happening, but I'm sure there are many kids out there who are suddenly enjoying life right now.

by Anonymousreply 56March 19, 2020 10:00 PM

R45, what have fluoroquinolones got to do with anything? The drug that’s supposedly helpful for COVID is chloroquine, which is unrelated to the quinolones.

by Anonymousreply 57March 19, 2020 10:19 PM

I just had to google the AYDS plan.

I thought it was so funny, released in 1982, perfect for gallows humour.

And it's great it gave you AYDS straight away without having to purchase HIVEE.

by Anonymousreply 58March 19, 2020 10:36 PM

The silver lining to this if there is any is that a) Overall pollution is down a significant amount since not everyone is driving to work now. and b) the oil price war between Russia and Saudi Arabia is getting interesting. It went to $21 yesterday, back to $24 today but it's not gonna be $30 a barrel for a long time.

by Anonymousreply 59March 19, 2020 10:49 PM

R59, the US is the world's largest producer of oil, and our oil is expensive to extract. These low prices will cost thousands of jobs in the oil industry. That will hurt US blue collar workers, because oil executives sure aren't taking the hits.

From the perspective of the national interest, reducing American petroleum production means increasing our dependence on foreign oil, which is a bad thing.

So ... mixed blessing at best here.

by Anonymousreply 60March 19, 2020 11:07 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61March 20, 2020 2:27 PM

Not a positive, sorry, but definitely positive in having a warning: dogs are being infected.

Maybe this will finally wake the fools in denial up. They may not care about the elderly, but Americans love their pets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62March 20, 2020 2:37 PM

I actually find that link @ R61 pretty depressing..

by Anonymousreply 63March 20, 2020 3:18 PM

R62, that dog was SEVENTEEN YEARS OLD.

by Anonymousreply 64March 20, 2020 3:37 PM

^ and the owner refused to let them do a post mortem, so we don’t know what caused the death of that animal.

by Anonymousreply 65March 20, 2020 3:40 PM

I no longer have to fear hearing “it’s showtime folks!” on my way to/from work now that my commute is from my bedroom to my home office (aka coffee table).

by Anonymousreply 66March 20, 2020 3:40 PM

One statistician calculated that because of the shutdown of so many coal-fired factories in China, the number of pollution related deaths avoided is actually higher that the number of CV deaths.

by Anonymousreply 67March 20, 2020 3:44 PM

NYC here. I went out and got a hair cut. I just KNEW my barber would be open, and he was! Sure the streets were more empty than usual, but there were people and cars. The fireman outside the fire house were outside talking. Someone was playing "We Are Family" out their window. As the cut was finishing up, the sun started to break through the mostly cloudy day.

I felt better. And I felt like this emergency will pass.

by Anonymousreply 68March 20, 2020 6:40 PM

R68, I decided to get carryout for dinner and took little drives around my suburban Philly neighborhood on the way to and from the restaurant. It was a cloudy but beautifully warm day. The trees are starting to bud, and the flowering trees are in full bloom. There was traffic - not heavy traffic, but traffic. The local Wawa (convenience store) looked very busy, with plenty of people getting gas. There were little groups of cars outside each restaurant, and a couple of people were waiting for food at Maggiano's, where I went. We all kept our distance but otherwise behaved normally.

I'm an eldergay, and it reminded me very much of what Sundays were like back in the days of blue laws. Quiet, but not deserted, empty, or lifeless.

Also, spring is here. The birdies are chirping, the lawns are greening up. Nature endures through the winter, and so will we.

by Anonymousreply 69March 20, 2020 11:09 PM

Thank God the restaurants are open for carryout in Pennsylvania. Being able to get the same food you would've gotten a month ago, or indulge an unhealthy urge for a Big Mac or Chipotle burrito can be a big comfort when everything else is topsy-turvy and scary.

by Anonymousreply 70March 20, 2020 11:13 PM

Anyone got anything else? I could really use something hopeful tonight.

by Anonymousreply 71March 21, 2020 4:19 AM

Here R71:

How about some good news?

– China has closed down its last coronavirus hospital. Not enough new cases to support them.

– Doctors in India have been successful in treating Coronavirus. Combination of drugs used: Lopinavir, Retonovir, Oseltamivir along with Chlorphenamine. They are going to suggest same medicine, globally.

– Researchers of the Erasmus Medical Center claim to have found an antibody against coronavirus.

– A 103-year-old Chinese grandmother has made a full recovery from COVID-19 after being treated for 6 days in Wuhan, China.

– Apple reopens all 42 china stores,

– Cleveland Clinic developed a COVID-19 test that gives results in hours, not days.

– Good news from South Korea, where the number of new cases is declining.

– Italy is hit hard, experts say, only because they have the oldest population in Europe.

– Scientists in Israel likely to announce the development of a coronavirus vaccine.

– 3 Maryland coronavirus patients fully recovered; able to return to everyday life.

– A network of Canadian scientists are making excellent progress in Covid-19 research.

– A San Diego biotech company is developing a Covid-19 vaccine in collaboration with Duke University and National University of Singapore.

– Tulsa County’s first positive COVID-19 case has recovered. This individual has had two negative tests, which is the indicator of recovery.

– All 7 patients who were getting treated for at Safdarjung hospital in New Delhi have recovered.

– Plasma from newly recovered patients from Covid -19 can treat others infected by Covid-19.

So it’s not all bad news. Let’s care for each other and stay focused on safety of those most vulnerable.

by Anonymousreply 72March 21, 2020 4:55 AM

Thank you so much, R72. That really hit the spot.

by Anonymousreply 73March 21, 2020 5:29 AM

Any good news on the availability of tests? They need to get those cranking.

Same for ventilators.

by Anonymousreply 74March 21, 2020 5:34 AM

We need more toilet paper.

by Anonymousreply 75March 21, 2020 7:33 AM

[quote] Italy is hit hard, experts say, only because they have the oldest population in Europe.

This should be emphasised in the press...I guess they want to scare people into lockdown.

I read of an effective treatment as well...sorry, can't remember where.

In the early days of AIDS no one ever talked about vaccines or treatments. Everyone said it was YEARS away.

But this we're hearing about new cures every day - but they mostly seem to be buried way below the headlines.

by Anonymousreply 76March 21, 2020 7:41 AM

R72, where did you get all that stuff?

I hope you can feel the depth of my thank you. Xo

by Anonymousreply 77March 21, 2020 12:45 PM

That was great post, R72.

Regarding Italy, why can't the hospitals in Germany help out? Germany has hardly been hit.

by Anonymousreply 78March 21, 2020 2:01 PM

[quote]Also, spring is here. The birdies are chirping, the lawns are greening up. Nature endures through the winter, and so will we.

Not you, gramps.

by Anonymousreply 79March 21, 2020 3:39 PM

R78, Germany has been hit hard, but their survival rates are good. Let’s keep it that way. Why would you expect them to increase the risk for their own people by shipping patients into the country?

Maybe there’s something to be learned from them when it comes to treating patients with COVID.

by Anonymousreply 80March 21, 2020 3:44 PM

The papers don't seem to tell us how old are the people dying. They want us to be freaked out. Occasionally when someone on the younger side of 60 dies, it's a headline.

by Anonymousreply 81March 21, 2020 4:36 PM

R72 Snopes has verified your list as mostly true!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 21, 2020 6:22 PM

Here’s a guy (American I think) who has a factory in China, that he converted to making only masks and other personal protective medical gear. They can make 2 million masks a day. After initially struggling with how to get them to hospitals, it sounds like he now has connected with the right people. The video of the masks shooting out of that machine is a sight to behold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 21, 2020 6:35 PM

This sounds potentially promising from Colombia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 21, 2020 7:52 PM

WaPo: The FDA late Friday approved the first coronavirus test that can be conducted entirely at the point of care for a patient — and deliver results in 45 minutes. The FDA granted “emergency use authorization” to Cepheid, a California company that makes a rapid molecular test for the coronavirus. Getting results in 45 minutes would be far quicker than the current situation in which tests typically are sent to central reference labs that can take days to deliver results.

The firm plans to begin selling the test at the end of the month.

by Anonymousreply 85March 21, 2020 8:20 PM

Maine company that makes testing swabs is churning out 800,000 to 1,000,000 per week. They’re working 7 days a week, and could hire more people if they could find them. Maybe they can get some of the unemployed bar and restaurant workers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86March 22, 2020 8:46 PM

Planes will be cleaned better from now on. People will stop all the fucking hugging.

by Anonymousreply 87March 22, 2020 9:21 PM

World's Fastest Supercomputer Is On It!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88March 22, 2020 9:25 PM

Vaccine tracker. A lot of activity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89March 22, 2020 9:27 PM

A medical article of cautious optimism.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90March 22, 2020 9:29 PM

Thank you OP. Really. I love you for this.

by Anonymousreply 91March 22, 2020 9:32 PM

I don't get the frenzy about wanting to get tested. (Celeb attention whores aside of course. ) It's not like we need to raise awareness. We are pretty fucking aware. Without a treatment, what's the point? If you feel sick, assume you have it. Stay the fuck home and hopefully, you'll get better and not worse.

by Anonymousreply 92March 22, 2020 9:36 PM

[quote] If you feel sick, assume you have it. Stay the fuck home and hopefully, you'll get better and not worse.

Because you can be asymptomatic and still pass it on to others.

by Anonymousreply 93March 22, 2020 9:45 PM

R93 True. I should have said: at this point, assume you have it, full stop. It really is just a matter of time.

by Anonymousreply 94March 22, 2020 9:47 PM

What would even make you think of taking a test if you didn't feel any symptoms? It wouldn't be on the top of anyone's to-do list. By the time you even take the test, you could have already done your damage and spread it to tons of people. Best to just stay home altogether.

by Anonymousreply 95March 22, 2020 10:55 PM

I'm feeling a little better.

by Anonymousreply 96March 23, 2020 1:42 AM

No one’s asked if I’m OK.

by Anonymousreply 97March 23, 2020 2:09 AM

To you people who question testing, you are a bunch of fucktards who listen to Trump way too much.

Testing is how South Korea and China have nearly halted progression of the disease to almost a standstill.

Testing is how you control the pandemic. For example, what if you walk into an emergency room, complaining of flu symptoms but because they are out of testing, they send you home to recover when you could have been admitted to the hospital. This is what happened to some guy in LA. They sent him home and he died the next day.

Testing also would protect our healthcare workers and those in the front line so they can be protected and they won't infect others. Hopefully, there will be some kind of prophylactics they can give to the healthcare workers because if they don't, our healthcare system will collapse.

by Anonymousreply 98March 23, 2020 4:10 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 99March 23, 2020 5:59 AM

Wow, that liar in the article at R99 sure did a lot of stuff after not being able to breathe or talk!

by Anonymousreply 100March 23, 2020 8:08 AM

Now they're hailing Trump as the saving them from the virus?

by Anonymousreply 101March 23, 2020 9:01 AM

Can we keep this thread on message? It's helping a lot of people.

by Anonymousreply 102March 23, 2020 10:13 AM

[quote]It's helping a lot of people.

LOL

I don't see how it's gone off track, quite frankly.

by Anonymousreply 103March 23, 2020 10:17 AM

R102, go Hall Monitor on FaceBook, frau!

by Anonymousreply 104March 23, 2020 10:55 AM

One good thing is I'm not wasting food like I used to. I used to spend a fair amount of money on groceries and not using half of what I bought, throwing fresh produce away. I'm now taking time to plan my meals and using whatever I have on hand in the kitchen. I've also lost some weight.

by Anonymousreply 105March 23, 2020 12:54 PM

I agree with R105; I try to make do with what I have on hand rather than running out & buying something else. Though once this whole thing is over (assuming I am not dead), I am going to buy something like a ridiculously fattening cheeseburger with fries and just pig out.

Not so sure about the losing weight part due to extra drinking (see thread about becoming an alcoholic during the quarantine)

by Anonymousreply 106March 23, 2020 1:14 PM

A positive thought: I'm pleased to see all of the upper-middle class breeders in my neighborhood being forced to raise their own damn children. Now, perhaps, they will begin to comprehend why we hate them so much.

by Anonymousreply 107March 23, 2020 1:41 PM

That’s a really positive thought. You seem really nice.

by Anonymousreply 108March 23, 2020 2:10 PM

That’s a really positive thought. You seem really nice.

by Anonymousreply 109March 23, 2020 2:10 PM

Why this Nobel laureate predicts a quicker coronavirus recovery: 'We're going to be fine'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110March 23, 2020 7:38 PM

CNN just said there were 69 different drugs they are trying to identify as treatments. That’s encouraging.

by Anonymousreply 111March 23, 2020 7:48 PM

Link to that

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112March 23, 2020 7:50 PM

Applying the scientist's theory in R110 to New York City, it looks like the percentage increase of the new cases in NYC is already starting to decrease past few days. (Not actual number, but percentage increase). That could be good sign if he's right.

by Anonymousreply 113March 23, 2020 7:56 PM

R110 That guy is downplaying things.

by Anonymousreply 114March 23, 2020 7:56 PM

R106, that’s my goal, too, although I fall short on food because there are so many restaurants near me offering delivery. Being able to order a pizza or Mexican food makes like feel a little more normal, so I don’t condemn myself too much for it.

I am being very careful with paper towels and other non-food products. I used to think, “why use one paper towel to wipe up when I could two … or three?”, but now I’m mindful of waste. And, when I do eat from my own food stocks, I’m trying to use what’s already open or what will expire first rather than just eating whatever I feel like.

That said, I’m not a thrifty or self-sacrificing person by nature, so once this epidemic is over – assuming I’m alive – I’ll probably go back to my old, wasteful ways.

by Anonymousreply 115March 23, 2020 11:05 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116March 24, 2020 3:28 AM

I can't corroborate this as I am obviously not a biophysicist, but this one at Stanford has a less grim outlook than some others.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117March 24, 2020 4:44 AM

R117, that's the same story in R110. But glad you reposted, it's a positive story.

by Anonymousreply 118March 24, 2020 2:25 PM

An emergency ventilator has been approved for use in the UK:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119March 24, 2020 3:02 PM

[quoe] I am being very careful with paper towels and other non-food products.. I used to think, “why use one paper towel to wipe up when I could two … or three?”, but now I’m mindful of waste

Why even use paper towels? I rarely use paper towels unless I need to clean up something gross that needs to be disposed of. For cleaning, I use microfiber towels. If you shop around online, you can get 50 towel for less than $18 at Amazon. I use blue for the bathroom only, green and yellow for the kitchen. Throw them in the washer when it gets dirty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120March 24, 2020 9:30 PM

The combination of chloroquine and Zithromax seems to be a miracle combination.

Both are widely available and production is already ramping up at an incredible pace.

Another positive data point is that of 3000 asymptomatic people in Milan, half had the virus. If asymptomatic cases make up the vast majority, and data points to that probability, then the world will return to normal in a few weeks.

by Anonymousreply 121March 24, 2020 9:38 PM

We could know within two weeks whether Professor Didier Raoult, the French virologist who heads the Mediterranean infectious and tropical disease institute in Marseille, will go down in history as the man who saved the world from Covid-19, or will be dismissed as an arrogant, misguided scientist who raised false hopes.

Raoult administered a cocktail of hydroxycloroquine, a less toxic derivative of chloroquine, used to treat malaria, lupus and rheumatoid arthritis, and azithromycin, an antibiotic used against bacterial pneumonia, to 24 Covid-19 patients.

After receiving 600mg of Plaquenil (one of the commercial names for chloroquine) and 250mg of azithromycin for six days, three-quarters of patients tested negative for the virus, while 90 per cent of the control group who did not take the drugs still tested positive.

On February 25th, Raoult spoke of Chinese experiments with hydroxycloroquine in a video titled “Coronavirus: endgame!” He hastily conducted his own clinical study and revealed the results in a second video on March 16th.

US president Donald Trump apparently learned of Raoult’s experiment through a Twitter post by the billionaire entrepreneur Elon Musk. On March 20th, Trump wrongly claimed in a White House press briefing that the US Food and Drug Administration had approved what he called “the very powerful” drug chloroquine to treat Covid-19.

Trump was corrected by Dr Anthony Fauci, a top expert on infectious disease and a pillar of the fight against coronavirus. But Trump persisted, tweeting the following day that “HYDROXYCHLOROQUINE & AZITHROMYCIN, taken together, have a real chance to be one of the biggest game changers in the history of medicine.”

As reported in this newspaper on Monday, Brazil’s populist president Jair Bolsonaro ignored warnings from the health regulator and ordered the army to step up the production of chloroquine.

Pharmacies in west Africa, where chloroquine has been used for decades to treat malaria, saw a run on the drug. The government of Morocco purchased the entire stock of chloroquine produced by the French pharmaceutical giant Sanofi in Casablanca. Some French hospitals are administering Plaquenil out of “compassion” for the families of Covid-19 patients.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122March 24, 2020 9:46 PM

I wish I hadn't seen that pic of the doctor, R122. It kind of makes me wonder about him now.

by Anonymousreply 123March 24, 2020 10:57 PM

He remind me a bit of that crazy Trump doctor.

by Anonymousreply 124March 24, 2020 11:01 PM

[quote}Throw them in the washer when it gets dirty.

But they wouldn't just be dirty, they'd be wet and possibly stained. I use a wash and fold service because I live in an apartment. I can't just throw them in the washer whenever I feel like it, and I don't want to have to rinse out and hang up multiple towels a day. I'd end up throwing many of them away after one use, which would be even more wasteful.

by Anonymousreply 125March 24, 2020 11:21 PM

[quote]I use a wash and fold service because I live in an apartment.

Calgon - Ancient Chinese secret.

by Anonymousreply 126March 25, 2020 12:36 AM

A new study from Italian researchers suggests that the SARS-CoV-2 coronavirus, which is the cause of the COVID-19 disease currently causing a global health crisis, is relatively slow to mutate – meaning that any effective vaccine that is developed to prevent people from getting infected should be broadly effective across geographically separated populations over a relatively long period of time.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127March 26, 2020 1:21 AM

NYC cases leveling. I actually think this might end a little quicker than expected, mainly because people have been pretty good about distancing.

by Anonymousreply 128March 26, 2020 3:17 AM

r/COVID-19 at Reddit is a clearinghouse for up-to-the-minute scientific research. Good stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129March 26, 2020 6:17 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130March 26, 2020 8:05 AM

As of yesterday, 113,000+ people have recovered from COVID-19 worldwide. Though 20,000 have died from it (which looks steep when you do the ratio against 113,000), that's not accounting for all of the confirmed cases of individuals who will survive it. The reality is that more people will survive the virus than will die from it—it's no less tragic of course, but it is not a death sentence for the majority. It is still important to practice social distancing and proper hygiene/sanitizing to protect the vulnerable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 131March 26, 2020 9:17 AM

The truly valuable jobs have been revealed and hopefully those who serve in those fields will begin to be appropriately compensated, while the non-essential jobs will be eliminated, reduced and have wages begin to reflect their actual value. Grocery store and pharmacy clerks, warehouse loaders/unloaders, delivery people, everyone in the medical profession, food factory workers, factory workers in general -- are all keeping our society going. I haven't worried about a shortage of stock brokers, executives, lawyers, golfers, etc. at all during this. Those people are doing sub-minimum wage work. The guy risking his life to deliver groceries should be making six figures a year.

by Anonymousreply 132March 26, 2020 9:34 AM

R132 Yeah .While it probably won't happen, I would like all these grocery workers and delivery people to get raises this year as appreciation for what they have done. I wouldn't mind paying a bit extra money on various consumer items if need be. And I am far from rich.

by Anonymousreply 133March 26, 2020 10:14 AM

Maybe things are getting better in Italy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134March 26, 2020 12:46 PM

Sounds like it, R134. It will be good when the good news comes daily.

by Anonymousreply 135March 26, 2020 12:53 PM

I was going to say there was less political rancor, but.....

by Anonymousreply 136March 26, 2020 12:55 PM

Our hospital are overwhelmed and people are being left to die. People helping in supermarkets, hospitals and warehouse are getting sick. Hope now is a lie. As Fauci said the virus has its own timetable.

There is no light yet no matter how much Donald Trump and the Chinese government lie.

by Anonymousreply 137March 26, 2020 1:24 PM

R69: Yeah the trees not only are they budding but pollen is out of control. Few days ago I noticed the car was covered in pollen. Took it to a car wash and said while we re in said car wash I'd have to do it again in a few days. 3 days later and the car is covered in the shit again.

by Anonymousreply 138March 26, 2020 1:40 PM

Yeah the trees not only are they budding but pollen is out of control.

..leading to sneezing, coughing, a dull headache and a bit of sore throat. I always get seasonal allergies, but embarrassed to admit how many times I've been certain that I'm coming down with Corona when it's really just the usual allergies

by Anonymousreply 139March 26, 2020 1:56 PM

Wrong thread, R137.

by Anonymousreply 140March 26, 2020 4:52 PM

Take an antihistamine. Regularly. This should be advice for anyone in high pollen areas right now. Sneezing spreads it and it lives in the air for up to 3hrs.

by Anonymousreply 141March 26, 2020 5:33 PM

This is a thread about GOOD, HOPEFUL news. Take your doom and gloom elsewhere, R137.

by Anonymousreply 142March 26, 2020 7:08 PM

My libido came back so at least I can spend time jacking off again.

by Anonymousreply 143March 26, 2020 8:04 PM

Stock market just officially ended the bear market today. At least for now.

by Anonymousreply 144March 26, 2020 8:06 PM

R47, I don't know. I think too many Americans will, when the warm weather arrives, not just enjoy their own backyards, but clamor for access to public pools, playgrounds, and parks, so they can gather with friends.

Trump will promote this behavior, and the media will report that "things are calming down".

Is that considered "hopeful"?

by Anonymousreply 145March 26, 2020 8:10 PM

r144 fuck the stock market, fuck anyone who cares about the stock market

by Anonymousreply 146March 26, 2020 8:12 PM

I care

by Anonymousreply 147March 26, 2020 8:14 PM

Masks, even simple homemade masks, help. Pass it on.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148March 26, 2020 8:18 PM

How quick action by a governor ( a Republican - go figure) will see results. The graph of the virus in Ohio.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149March 26, 2020 11:35 PM

Being from Ohio, I have to say that I'm shocked how seriously OH leadership took this threat & acted proactively in a way that few other repug governors did. They appeared to totally ignore Dump's histrionics and got right down to business of locking down the state. FL should take note!

by Anonymousreply 150March 26, 2020 11:59 PM

Dr. Acton:

Action said she hoped the curve peak eventually is in May.

“We have through our collective work together in Ohio decreased that impact on our health care system anywhere from 50% to 75%. That’s crucial, but we have got to do it even more,” Acton said.

Use this as an example: stay at home and keep your distance.

by Anonymousreply 151March 27, 2020 12:14 AM

Be wary of "models" predicting dire things.

[quote] Scientist and Imperial College author Neil Ferguson said Wednesday that the coronavirus death toll is unlikely to exceed 20,000 and could be much lower, according to New Scientist. He added that he is “reasonably confident” that Britain’s health system can handle the burden of treating coronavirus patients.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 152March 27, 2020 12:31 AM

Bahrain treatment with chloroquine has resulted in only 4 deaths, one in critical, out of 458 cases.

204 recovered, 250 still hospitalized.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153March 27, 2020 12:43 AM

R148: "Masks, even simple homemade masks, help."

I tried to tell a friend this, showing him the chart you posted, and he FREAKED on me, telling me I "sounded like Trump" (???) and that "there's just no proof that masks will make us safer!" Sorry, but doctors and nurses WEARING MASKS is all the proof I need. They don't wear 'em for nothing.

by Anonymousreply 154March 27, 2020 1:34 AM

R154 I'd keep well more than 6ft away from your "friend." Czech Republic has made masks mandatory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155March 27, 2020 1:44 AM

So the neo-cons are in a panic. They want to hoard as much of this stuff as they can. And they want us to sign a petition so they can buy it all up. I feel for the people who really need it. The Home Depot guy is a total nut.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156March 27, 2020 2:12 AM

Typical of the catastrophe queens to come in and shoot down all the new drugs. I swear some people on this board want millions to die worldwide and hate any development toward halting the virus.

by Anonymousreply 157March 27, 2020 2:18 AM

This wouldn’t have brought a tear to your eye if there wasn’t social distancing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158March 27, 2020 2:20 AM

Is Krasinski some kind of right winger? All the "more tweets" below the post at R158 are Trump-lickers. What a bunch of fucking assholes.

by Anonymousreply 159March 27, 2020 5:12 AM

That's Matthew Lillard's daughter at R158.

by Anonymousreply 160March 27, 2020 5:20 AM

All her hairs fell outs.

by Anonymousreply 161March 27, 2020 5:30 AM

Oops. "Family friend," not daughter.

Mea culpa.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162March 27, 2020 5:35 AM

R133 Here in Canada, most of our front line workers in grocery stores and drugstores have received raises a result of the pandemic. Employees of Walmart Canada have also received temporary raises.

by Anonymousreply 163March 27, 2020 7:15 AM

Good news, R163.

by Anonymousreply 164March 27, 2020 9:16 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165March 27, 2020 9:18 AM

I have learned to be less wasteful.

by Anonymousreply 166March 27, 2020 9:20 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167March 27, 2020 9:20 AM

r152 "The Washington Examiner" is not a news source.

Every else, block r152 and all Russian/GOP propagandist trolls. Do not engage with them. This situation is too serious to waste energy on people who are literally trying to kill you with disinformation.

by Anonymousreply 168March 27, 2020 9:22 AM

Manufacturers of body bags have never been busier and are rolling in ca$h.

by Anonymousreply 169March 27, 2020 9:26 AM

Fuck off R169. Can you not read the title of the thread?

by Anonymousreply 170March 27, 2020 9:50 AM

[QUOTE] Every else, block [R152] and all Russian/GOP propagandist trolls. Do not engage with them. This situation is too serious to waste energy on people who are literally...

YOU are the Russian troll, trying to claim that millions of Americans are about to die! Dumb fucktard.

by Anonymousreply 171March 27, 2020 10:03 AM

So many countries are making progress with rapid testing, and vaccine and medication trials. Britain is working in this very affordable quick test, Germany and Australia will also soon come out with their versions of a quick test.

Our country has unfortunately not contributed much unless you count encouraging people to drink aquarium cleaner. It frustrates me to no end.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172March 27, 2020 10:20 AM

An Irish researcher at Reddit thinks that coronavirus patients who received quadrivalent flu vaccines (those composed of four different flu strains) may have better outcomes compared with those who received trivalent vaccines (composed of three strains).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173March 27, 2020 1:12 PM

How coronavirus mutations can track its spread—and disprove conspiracies.

So far, Nextstrain has crunched nearly 1,500 genomes from the new coronavirus, and the data already show how this virus is mutating—every 15 days, on average—as the COVID-19 pandemic rages around the world.

As menacing as the word sounds, mutations don’t mean the virus is becoming more harmful. Instead, these subtle shifts in the virus’s genetic code are helping researchers quickly figure out where it’s been, as well as dispel myths about its origins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 174March 27, 2020 1:30 PM

R168 is indeed a Russian troll. The news story in R152 has been reported in every mainstream press.

by Anonymousreply 175March 27, 2020 5:20 PM

Sex is going to be more erotic because even just coming within six feet of someone, much less touching them, is now taboo.

by Anonymousreply 176March 27, 2020 10:43 PM

R172, while Trump and his asshole cabal deserve to rot in hell for how they've conducted themselves, America itself is working just as hard and as much on a vaccine and creating tests as any other country. It's just the states and corporations that are doing it while Trump and his minions try to figure out how to work a fiddle.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177March 27, 2020 10:56 PM

Some of the above-mentioned vaccine work being done...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178March 27, 2020 11:00 PM

[quote]An Irish researcher at Reddit thinks that coronavirus patients who received quadrivalent flu vaccines (those composed of four different flu strains) may have better outcomes compared with those who received trivalent vaccines (composed of three strains).

But only if you got the shot on a Monday, Wednesday or Friday. Those inoculated Tuesday and Thursdays showed a decrease in suppression.

by Anonymousreply 179March 27, 2020 11:00 PM

For some reason this thread fell off my watcher list. Glad to have found it again.

by Anonymousreply 180March 28, 2020 12:47 AM

R179: I wondered about that last week and was blasted here by posters saying “Covid 19 isn’t the flu! No link!”

I may be right - yet again.

by Anonymousreply 181March 28, 2020 12:53 AM

A quick test with results in 13 minutes or less has been developed and will be available next week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182March 28, 2020 1:34 AM

Today had a summer type feel to it. We have a big backyard so I went outside and helped clean up the yard. We also cleaned our three season porch so when it is finally warm we can sit outside. It gave me a hopeful feeling

by Anonymousreply 183March 28, 2020 1:59 AM

What's a 'three season porch'?

by Anonymousreply 184March 28, 2020 2:01 AM

Carol Burton Largent said that she went to Sam’s Club to get some toilet paper, something notoriously out of stock these days.

Largent asked a woman next to her when she pulled up at the store if there was any toilet paper left.

“I asked her if they had any toilet paper left and she said no, it was all gone. Then she proceeded to open her pack of toilet paper and gave me 24 rolls without even thinking about it,” she said.

Largent said she told the woman she didn’t have any cash.

“I don’t need your cash, God put you here for a reason,” Largent said the woman said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185March 28, 2020 3:09 AM

But why did she have 24 rolls of TP, R185? Because she's the reason why the TP was all gone...

by Anonymousreply 186March 28, 2020 3:47 AM

R186 the damn packs come in 30.

by Anonymousreply 187March 28, 2020 3:49 AM

[quote]What's a 'three season porch'?

Pepper, Sage and Thyme, Rose(mary)

by Anonymousreply 188March 28, 2020 4:10 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 189March 28, 2020 8:03 AM

While our own president is a fucktard, the taoisceach of Ireland is doing a Kennedy-ish job of clearly communicating the severity of the situation while inspiring and lifting his country. Irish DLs might have other opinions on him, but I find watching his speeches rather moving - and they ended the speech with a poem - a POEM!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 190March 28, 2020 10:47 AM

^ His monotone voice sends me to sleep.

by Anonymousreply 191March 28, 2020 12:53 PM

Twitter account of a guy who's following the latest research

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192March 28, 2020 2:49 PM

Starting in New York City hospitals this week, and soon in dozens of medical centers across the United States, researchers will start drawing blood from COVID-19 survivors, who have antibodies their bodies made to fight the disease. They'll then isolate their plasma, the liquid part of blood that contains antibodies. And in a process called “convalescent plasma therapy,” their antibodies will be transferred to others, either to protect them against getting infected or to boost the immune systems of those who are already sick.

This highly experimental therapy hasn’t been proven to work against the coronavirus, but preliminary research out of China suggests that it has helped a small group of patients recover.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193March 28, 2020 5:10 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 194March 29, 2020 5:26 AM

Many have RECOVERED

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195March 29, 2020 7:51 AM

I don't know whether it's the same test mentioned by R182, but I understand there's a similar quick blood test about to hit the market which will have the added dimension of being able to tell you you've had the virus and recovered.

People who've recovered can safely go back to work, so this would be a great boon to either bolstering health and aged care or getting the general economy moving, whichever had priority at the time.

by Anonymousreply 196March 29, 2020 10:02 AM

Bill Gates is working on a test where a person can administer it themselves instead of having a medical professional do it. This would make testing easier and faster. His foundation is also invested in developing a vaccine for the virus.

It's nice to see a billionaire make good use of his money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197March 29, 2020 10:10 AM

I have little faith in government, but a lot of faith in science! Here's a good overview on how researches across the globe are working together for treatment:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198March 29, 2020 12:58 PM

R196 I'm not sure that's accurate. Is it clear someone can't be reinfected? There was an article in NPR that some in Wuhan who tested positive and recovered have tested positive again.

by Anonymousreply 199March 29, 2020 2:35 PM

Apparently if you DO get it again you have a much milder experience of it. Can't remember where I read that.

by Anonymousreply 200March 29, 2020 2:38 PM

^ positive test results have been observed in a minute number of cases, and is attributed to either errors in testing (false negative), or to remnants of dead virus DNA being picked up by the test, or in patients whose immune system is not functioning correctly.

[quote] Dr. Anthony S. Fauci, the Director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases who is for many Americans the most familiar source for information on the coronavirus disease (due to his numerous appearances at government press conferences and cable television news reports), told Congress that he felt it was unlikely anyone could become reinfected by the virus: “We haven’t formally proved it, but … if this acts like any other virus, once you recover, you won’t get reinfected.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201March 29, 2020 2:47 PM

Got gas this morning at Costco (in Calif.) $2.49/gallon. I cannot remember when it was ever that low. Not that I have anywhere to go, but still.

by Anonymousreply 202March 29, 2020 3:13 PM

A new COVID-19 test can return results in 5 minutes.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 203March 29, 2020 6:03 PM

How, to where, and by whom are all of these new, quick-result tests being distributed, though? How do you find out whether they're available where you live?

by Anonymousreply 204March 29, 2020 6:08 PM

This is a long video from a NYC physician, but watch first 20 minutes. Very reassuring, practical advice on how to avoid infection. Basically, says if you're diligent about hand washing and not touching your face, you'll be fine. Same message as we've been hearing, but delivered without fear/panic and makes you. You'll feel better after watching.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205March 29, 2020 6:12 PM

[quote] You'll feel better after watching.

And even better after WASHING.

by Anonymousreply 206March 29, 2020 6:33 PM

Or WARSHING.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 207March 29, 2020 8:22 PM

That is a very helpful video, R205. Thanks for posting.

by Anonymousreply 208March 29, 2020 8:29 PM

Can’t post the link here, so here’s part of this KRON story on UV lights that can kill viruses but are harmless to humans -

SAN FRANCISCO, Calif. (KRON) — A new invention developed by researchers at Columbia University Irving Medical Center could one day be utilized to prevent future viruses like COVID-19 from sweeping across the globe. Their bright idea is light.

Radiation biophysics professor David Brenner said his team discovered that continuous low doses of far-ultraviolet C light can kill airborne flu viruses without harming human tissues. They invented lamps that shine this precise wavelength, and they are seeking FDA approval to place the lamps in public places.

“We have known for more than 100 years that ultraviolet light is really, really efficient at killing microbes. It kills bacteria, it kills viruses,” Brenner said in an interview with KRON4.

Brenner wishes the COVID-19 outbreak could have happened a year later, after the lights could have been deployed inside airports and possibly helped prevent it from spreading into a pandemic. Public places where many people gather to travel, such as airplanes and train stations, are major hot spots where viruses spread through the air and on surfaces.

Before the coronavirus emerged, the researchers were focused on killing another virus that caused a public health crisis not too long ago: H1N1. They tested wavelengths that can’t penetrate the outer layers of the eyes or skin (causing cancer), and thus would not be harmful to humans. They pinpointed an ultraviolet light that eliminated bacteria and viruses alike, while leaving laboratory mice unharmed.

“What we found was a particular wavelength of ultraviolet light that has all the good advantages of germicidal light in killing viruses but it’s safe for human exposure. It can’t reach any live cells in our body,” he said.

When will one of these superbug-fighting lamps appear in public? It will take several months to build the lamps and secure FDA approval, he told KRON4. “They are being manufactured now,” Brenner said. “We are talking nine months from now before we can make perhaps a million or several million of these devices.”

by Anonymousreply 209March 29, 2020 9:38 PM

“... secure FDA approval,..”

The FDA has fucked us. Bureaucracy is deadlier than the virus.

by Anonymousreply 210March 29, 2020 10:27 PM

positive news from San Francisco.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211March 29, 2020 10:32 PM

R149, I'm an Ohio Democrat here, and it's worth giving credit where credit is due, when a Republican does the right thing at a critical time like this. I'm thankful he took swift action at a time when so many of his fellow colleagues were blowing this all off as no big deal.

by Anonymousreply 212March 29, 2020 10:40 PM

That's good news, R211.

by Anonymousreply 213March 29, 2020 10:43 PM

[quote]Very reassuring, practical advice on how to avoid infection. Basically, says if you're diligent about hand washing and not touching your face, you'll be fine.

You can be super diligent and try to not touch your face but everyone touches their faces all the time. It's just automatic. I mean, is there anyone left who is not washing their hands obsessively and trying not to touch their faces? I think this kind of advice is not particularly helpful at this point. Telling everyone they'll be fine if they just do these little things is dangerous.

by Anonymousreply 214March 29, 2020 10:51 PM

R199, medical advice in Australia is that it's unlikely you could be reinfected for at least 12-18 months (maybe ever), and concurs with R201 that the results that suggest you can be are probably testing errors (eg where the viral load in a recovering patient tested lower one day and higher a few days later, with the first one being wrong).

by Anonymousreply 215March 30, 2020 3:39 AM

Seattle begins to (slowly) flatten the curve.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 216March 30, 2020 3:41 AM

Posted in r/COVID19:

A 2014 study found that omega-3 supplements improved lung function in people with acute respiratory distress syndrome.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217March 30, 2020 3:44 AM

From R216's article, Washington state has much less cases than New York, but Washington's percentage of deaths is almost triple New York's. Washington is almost 5%. and New York's is only 1.6%.

by Anonymousreply 218March 30, 2020 4:00 AM

R218 because it got into a retirement home where it raged.

by Anonymousreply 219March 30, 2020 4:01 AM

R218, it also takes a couple of weeks for the people on ventilators to die. And, while they are taking up the ventilators, more people start dying from lack of ventilators. New York hasn't reached that point yet. Right now, people who need ventilators got them. They will last for a couple weeks. When there are no more ventilators, the deaths will start en masse.

But, really, we do have one of the best health care systems in the world and now that I assume they aren't checking whether you're in network, everyone can access it. Unfortunately, it's still not big enough.

by Anonymousreply 220March 30, 2020 4:33 AM

[quote] China's effort to contain virus are working and country is starting to come back to life.

Essentially kicking off wave 2 of infections.

by Anonymousreply 221March 30, 2020 5:01 AM

Johnson & Johnson says their vaccine may be available as early as January 2021.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222March 30, 2020 2:37 PM

r22 I think I might have enough toilet paper to last me until then.

by Anonymousreply 223March 30, 2020 3:27 PM

Ohio Governor forces FDA to rush approval of machines that can sterilize hospital masks, so they can be reused:

COLUMBUS, Ohio — In a quick about-face, the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, responding to criticism from Gov. Mike DeWine, has granted expanded approval for a new device developed by an Ohio research firm that sterilizes the protective masks used by health-care workers.

The FDA on Sunday night issued an amended approval order, revoking a Saturday order that only permitted Battelle to use the device at its headquarters in Columbus, and only to clean 10,000 masks per day. The limited order angered DeWine, leading him to rebuke the agency publicly Sunday morning and seek intervention from President Donald Trump. Before the limited order, Battelle had planned to immediately deploy to New York City its new technology, which it said could clean up to 160,000 masks a day in Ohio alone.

by Anonymousreply 224March 30, 2020 4:16 PM

R223, do you have any idea of all the diseases you’re going to catch from people who didn’t have the means to hoard toilet paper and will no longer be able to properly wipe their asses? Self-interest is suicide in this paradigm. Only those communities that manage to realign themselves to act in the common good will survive.

by Anonymousreply 225March 30, 2020 5:06 PM

r225 I'm not hoarding TP, and I was just joking. I DO have a lot of it, but I haven't bought any in the past two months.

by Anonymousreply 226March 30, 2020 6:02 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227March 30, 2020 7:32 PM

San Francisco was the first city to enact a shutdown 2 weeks ago and they are seeing a slowdown of the virus.

by Anonymousreply 228March 30, 2020 7:57 PM

This, coupled with the drop in fatalities in NY over the last day, makes me think this drug will reduce serious infections dramatically.

The Food and Drug Administration on Sunday issued an emergency use authorization for hydroxychloroquine and chloroquine, decades-old malaria drugs championed by President Donald Trump for coronavirus treatment despite scant evidence.

The agency allowed for the drugs to be "donated to the Strategic National Stockpile to be distributed and prescribed by doctors to hospitalized teen and adult patients with COVID-19, as appropriate, when a clinical trial is not available or feasible," HHS said in a statement, announcing that Sandoz donated 30 million doses of hydroxychloroquine to the stockpile and Bayer donated 1 million doses of chloroquine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229March 30, 2020 8:18 PM

I had to take atovaquone (another malaria drug) for several weeks in connection with a foreign trip. I just finished my last one on Friday. Any idea whether it confers any protection can be used as a treatment?

by Anonymousreply 230March 30, 2020 9:01 PM

R 230:

That led his team to conduct computer modeling studies on certain drugs already approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration, to assess their potential in combating the coronavirus.

The results showed that the most promising drugs included several antiviral drugs -- including Darunavir, Nelfinavir, and Saquinavir -- and several other types of drugs, including: the ACE inhibitor Moexipril; the chemotherapy drugs Daunorubicin and Mitoxantrone; the painkiller Metamizole; the antihistamine Bepotastine; and the antimalarial drug Atovaquone.

by Anonymousreply 231March 30, 2020 9:39 PM

Thanks! Maybe I have a little more immunity or protection. Although maybe it doesn't work until you're actually infected?

by Anonymousreply 232March 30, 2020 9:51 PM

Ford and GM to produce 50,000 ventilators in 100 days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 233March 30, 2020 10:59 PM

[quote]Ford and GM to produce 50,000 ventilators in 100 days.

Imagine if they'd started this in January? Didn't want to give up those couple months of shareholder profits, though. Trump is such a piece of shit. Any Democrat would have used the Defense Production Act right away. He had to check out how his stocks would do and whether his business buddies would be okay, first. Guess GM and Ford like what they're getting out of that 2.2 trillion in tax payer money so now they'll help.

by Anonymousreply 234March 30, 2020 11:14 PM

From a state whose governor took the warning seriously:

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- A new model from the University of Washington shows that Ohio has more than enough hospital and intensive care unit capacity to handle the onslaught of expected coronavirus cases.

According to projections from the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation at the University of Washington, Ohio’s coronavirus cases are expected to peak April 19, with 3,900 hospital beds needed, 585 of them in the ICU, and 468 ventilators.

Ohio has about 34,000 hospital beds at more than 100 hospitals across the state, and 2,500 ICU beds, according to data compiled by the Associated Press. The Washington study says Ohio has less than 1,300 ICU beds.

The predictions are far less dire than models Ohio Department of Health Director Dr. Amy Acton and Gov. Mike DeWine have cited at statehouse news briefings.

by Anonymousreply 235March 31, 2020 1:04 AM

[quote]Ford and GM to produce 50,000 ventilators in 100 days.

They'll probably be recalled shortly thereafter.

by Anonymousreply 236March 31, 2020 1:25 AM

This thread keeps falling off my watch list.

by Anonymousreply 237March 31, 2020 1:59 AM

I just read this article about a 95-year-old man in my home state of Oregon who has recovered from COVID-19 after a 14-day quarantine—he had numerous underlying conditions as well, including kidney disease, high blood pressure, and a heart condition. It truly seems the impact of this virus can vary so much from person to person, but this does give a bit of hope for people who are battling it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238March 31, 2020 3:11 AM

He's lucky he got it early ... after a week or two, they'd have denied him a ventilator to save a younger person.

by Anonymousreply 239March 31, 2020 3:19 AM

I think Ohio lucked out, too, because their biggest cities are kind of spread out and medium-sized compared to New York, Chicago, LA, etc. If we could have quarantined the city of Chicago, Illinois would be fine. Slowly, the numbers are spreading outward from Chicago to the surrounding counties. They should isolate Chicago now. Shut down the interstates to outgoing traffic and shut down Metra trains to the suburbs. Instead, we get stories about people from the city heading to the suburbs to stock up.

by Anonymousreply 240March 31, 2020 3:20 AM

R239 there's no mention of him having needed a ventilator; the article says he spent one night in the hospital for evaluation out of caution because of his other health issues, but went home the next day.

by Anonymousreply 241March 31, 2020 3:27 AM

Took Levaquin when I went to Africa.

Got home, went crazy, would probably prefer malaria.

by Anonymousreply 242March 31, 2020 3:42 AM

R242, you know that Levaquin has absolutely nothing to do with anything right now, right?

by Anonymousreply 243March 31, 2020 3:45 AM

Levaquin is an antibiotic.

Interestingly enough it was discontinued by the manufacturer in 2017 for mental health issues that popped up.

by Anonymousreply 244March 31, 2020 4:51 AM

Ohio also started testing very early, at least in Cleveland, as the Cleveland Clinic and University Hospitals did not wait for the govt test, but developed their own, which gave results in less than one day.

by Anonymousreply 245March 31, 2020 5:12 AM

R241 r239 is a troll. Thank you .

by Anonymousreply 246March 31, 2020 5:18 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247March 31, 2020 8:53 AM

John Krasinski started his own good news show from his house.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248March 31, 2020 3:17 PM

He needs to turn it into Naked News.

by Anonymousreply 249March 31, 2020 4:02 PM

I'd pay if Steve Carrell was naked on it.

by Anonymousreply 250March 31, 2020 4:06 PM

[quote]R4 Great Britain is paying healthy volunteers $7,000 to be quarantined with TV, cable, video games, etc in a fully furnished hotel room.

This sounds great for writers.

TIE THEM TO THEIR DESKS!!

by Anonymousreply 251March 31, 2020 4:11 PM

Why is his face so red & puffy - he's morphing into Ted Kennedy

by Anonymousreply 252March 31, 2020 5:26 PM

With all of this social distancing and mask wearing, I have so many new friends!

by Anonymousreply 253March 31, 2020 8:18 PM

[quote] Why is his face so red & puffy

That just shows you how important professional make-up artists are (and studio lighting).

by Anonymousreply 254March 31, 2020 8:22 PM

R188 A three season porch is basically just a screened in porch. It's meant for spring, summer, and fall, but it can't be used in the winter because it's walls are just made of screening and it's too cold.

by Anonymousreply 255March 31, 2020 8:27 PM

Elon Musk gave 1200 ventilators to LA hospitals last week, and now has 1255 more for anyone who needs them. He's covering the cost of the machines and shipping. They’re from China, which now has a surplus, and they’re FDA-certified models made by Medtronic and other Western countries. He’s already sent a couple hundred of the second batch to NY facilities. Also, Medtronic is giving away the design specs and software to anyone who wants to manufacture its ventilator. Musk plans to start production of those in a upstate NY plant soon.

by Anonymousreply 256March 31, 2020 9:07 PM

I thought this was pretty cool.

Ming Tsai has collected and is giving away food, pantry items, toiletries, etc., to any restaurant workers in the Boston area who need them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257April 1, 2020 5:55 AM

R20 so good to see that DL welcomes racists.

by Anonymousreply 258April 1, 2020 6:02 AM

[quote] Report in WaPo today shows that China's effort to contain virus are working and country is starting to come back to life. Took about 6 weeks.

You wrote this on March 16. It took 3 months for China to contain the virus

by Anonymousreply 259April 1, 2020 8:11 AM

PEDANTIC CUNT!

“ you know that Levaquin has absolutely nothing to do with anything right now, right?”

Hydroxychloroquine AND Chloroquine have the same warning.

“ emotional changes, nightmares, and even true psychoses” or “ outbursts of violence, loss of interest, feeling sad, suicidal ideas and impaired insight.”

You do realize that all three treat malaria, and are all derived from similar biology?

by Anonymousreply 260April 1, 2020 8:33 AM

Do you realize, if it weren't for the coronavirus, we would be hearing all about that stupid presidential campaign 24/7 for the past 3 weeks? It's GREAT to have a respite from that boring, drawn-out stuff.

by Anonymousreply 261April 1, 2020 2:06 PM

My Bernie Sanders campaign calls and robocalls have all but stopped.

by Anonymousreply 262April 1, 2020 2:09 PM

Funny, R261, and so true.

by Anonymousreply 263April 1, 2020 2:37 PM

My Bernie Sanders campaign calls and robocalls have all but stopped.

That & Bernie Bros seemed to have calmed down (or perhaps they're sick....); it seemed like every other day some anti-Biden sentiment was trending on twitter, but no more. One would hope they'd have enough perspective to just shut it for awhile...

by Anonymousreply 264April 1, 2020 2:38 PM

The idea of masks is taking off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265April 1, 2020 2:42 PM

I'm down to six rolls of toilet paper.

I saw a guy on Youtube who used a saw to cut paper towels into toilet paper size.

He said 'flush frequently or might clog up the pipes"

by Anonymousreply 266April 1, 2020 2:55 PM

Paper towels will clog your pipes no matter how often you flush. Don't do it. TP is the only thing you should flush.

by Anonymousreply 267April 1, 2020 4:46 PM

Great news! New tests hitting the market next week. Testing is key to ending mass quarantine and getting early care to people who test positive. The Abbott test at bottom of article is being called a game changer.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268April 1, 2020 5:24 PM

So how will testing really help? Do you trust people to be honest about their test results? To not go outside if they haven't been tested yet? Unless there's 100% testing and a way for everyone to prove their status (and with HIPAA, that ain't gonna happen), you still have to assume everyone has it.

by Anonymousreply 269April 1, 2020 6:11 PM

It's time to start microchipping people, really.

by Anonymousreply 270April 1, 2020 6:48 PM

Lizzo sending meals to hospital workers around the country.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271April 1, 2020 7:34 PM

Hospital workers need protective gear more than meals, LIzzo.

by Anonymousreply 272April 1, 2020 7:41 PM

Good news, R272. Good news. Take the snark to another thread.

by Anonymousreply 273April 1, 2020 8:07 PM

Panda Express donating $2 million to buy protective equipment for medical workers.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274April 1, 2020 8:16 PM

Dolly Parton donated 1 Million Dollars to coronavirus research.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275April 1, 2020 8:20 PM

Some good news out of my home state: According to state health officials, there is "strong evidence" that Oregon's shelter restriction policies have reduced virus transmission by 50–70%, in suit with Washington and California. Hoping this trend continues in other states as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276April 1, 2020 10:45 PM

Potential Vaccine Developed at University of Pittsburgh

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277April 2, 2020 4:16 PM

You can thank the Coronavirus for a plunge in robocalls.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278April 2, 2020 8:14 PM

Getty to create $10-million COVID-19 relief fund for L.A. arts organizations

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279April 2, 2020 8:16 PM

In another example of the blinding speed at which science is moving during the pandemic era, researchers at Aarhus University in Denmark will start a clinical trial of a drug named camostat mesylate tomorrow—barely 1 month after a Cell paper showed the compound can prevent the novel coronavirus, SARS-CoV-2, from entering human cells.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280April 2, 2020 9:07 PM

Mayo Clinic expects COVID-19 antibody test to be ready Monday (April 6)

Researchers at Mayo Clinic expect to release a test that would tell whether a person has had and recovered from COVID-19 on Monday. The Star Tribune reports the University of Minnesota is also narrowing in on an antibody test.

The tests would help public health officials understand the scope of the outbreak and identify people who could safely be in public to help with relief efforts. They would also help in an effort to treat critical COVID-19 patients with plasma from individuals who have recovered.

Clinicians will be able to order this in individuals who they think having are a result for would be helpful to either guide return to work [decisions] or further quarantining.

Also, you may have heard about the convalescent plasma treatment trials. As we wait for antivirals and vaccines to be developed and deployed, we need some sort of bridging therapy. So, the idea here is to identify individuals who have recovered from COVID-19, collect their plasma, make sure that it has the antibodies, and then use that plasma to treat acutely ill patients. We're basically providing somebody else's antibodies to ill patients who maybe don't have an immune response mounted yet, and these antibodies would essentially help to fight off the virus.

Why is it important to have this information about how many people have been infected, even if they are recovered?

There's a couple of reasons. One, we know there's a significant number of individuals who have been infected without symptoms. So, knowing the true number, the true denominator of individuals who have been infected with COVID-19, would allow us to determine the true case fatality rate. And then the other reason this is important is identifying when, as a community, as a region, as a nation, we've reached herd immunity status.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281April 3, 2020 12:40 AM

In Detroit they are going to use a blood test where you can get instant results, and it will show whether or not you have already had the virus. The belief is that you have built up antibodies and won't catch it again. They are also looking into ways that blood from people who already had it, if we harvest antibodies we can use those to help people who are seriously ill in the hospital thru transfusions or some kind of serum.

by Anonymousreply 282April 3, 2020 12:44 AM

Do not trust the malaria drug stories and definitely not new vaccines, untested. A good vaccine with minimum side effects probably will not be available until the end of 2021. I wouldn't trust anything that is available in the next 3-4 months.

by Anonymousreply 283April 3, 2020 12:48 AM

[quote]Mayo Clinic expects COVID-19 antibody test to be ready Monday (April 6)

Does this mean they'll have to postpone my gallstone surgery?

by Anonymousreply 284April 3, 2020 1:50 AM

R283 Caution is good but it is also true that research and work on COVID has been unprecendented in depth and speed. I wish to remain positive and hopeful.

by Anonymousreply 285April 3, 2020 2:02 AM

[quote]In Detroit they are going to use a blood test where you can get instant results, and it will show whether or not you have already had the virus. The belief is that you have built up antibodies and won't catch it again.

R282, given that SARS is also a coronavirus and immunity to it from those who had had the virus does not last beyond a year, I wouldn't trust what the Detroit lab is doing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286April 3, 2020 2:14 AM

New mask cleaning machines being delivered to NYC and Washington.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287April 3, 2020 3:39 AM

Rental payments are either deposited now or written off. I’m going to start calling people Monday and offering to forgo April rent, no questions asked, so I can see if they will be capable of paying rent in May, or June.

If they haven’t returned my calls by mid month I’ll have to start evictions.

This is the only income my parents have. It takes 11 weeks of rent to pay taxes, insurance, maintenance, etc.

After 90 days they are paying people to live, so selling at a loss becomes a strategy. Our systems are broken.

I do not see anything good coming from this, even if they cure it tomorrow.

by Anonymousreply 288April 3, 2020 4:15 AM

The Detroit Lab is reliable, the test to see if you had it is reliable. It's a very simple test. But what is NOT reliable is the notion that once you have it you're no longer contagious. Maybe, as R286 says, you might be immune for a year, but not permanently.

by Anonymousreply 289April 3, 2020 4:19 AM

I didn't mean "you're no longer contagious..." I meant you can no longer get the virus. But IMO that is yet to be proved and I believe you may still catch it.

by Anonymousreply 290April 3, 2020 4:21 AM

[quote]R288 Rental payments are either deposited now or written off. I’m going to start calling people Monday and offering to forgo April rent, no questions asked, so I can see if they will be capable of paying rent in May, or June.

Are you saying your rent checks are usually all in your hands on the 2nd of the month?

Many people mail their rent postmarked on the 1st. My landlord doesn’t even deposit mine until the 7th, when all their rents have come in from various properties.

Additionally, the postal system, like everything else, is probably a bit fucked up right now. Which could cause delays.

by Anonymousreply 291April 3, 2020 4:26 AM

R291

Most of them make a deposit at the bank. Some mail checks. One brings a check.

I’ll start calling anyone who hasn’t made a deposit, or mailed a check, on Monday. I know a few of them are working class and need abatement so I’m writing off April for them, just pissed that I am the one put in the position to CALL THEM to offer them assistance.

I would’ve told my landlord that income was looking dicey in mid February!

Dad called me so I could update the books. He told Mr. R (the one who brings a check) to keep it and buy extra food. I’m lucky to have amazing parents!

by Anonymousreply 292April 3, 2020 4:58 AM

Where are you at? A lot of places have forbidden evictions.

by Anonymousreply 293April 3, 2020 8:34 AM

R278, that hadn't occurred to me but it's true. I haven't received a robocall in at least two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 294April 3, 2020 11:32 AM

R228, you would've been better off saying pay April and I'll forgive May.

by Anonymousreply 295April 3, 2020 2:25 PM

I do autopay with my rent. In fact I auto pay most bills. I may have to stop doing that.

by Anonymousreply 296April 3, 2020 2:53 PM

why?

by Anonymousreply 297April 3, 2020 2:57 PM

R297, because if this lasts too long and my money is tight there are some bills, I will not pay and others I will pay less. For instance credit cards. I'm trying to keep a low balance, but I may stop paying them so much every month and just pay the minimum. The main things are making sure the housing, utilities, food and car payments get made.

by Anonymousreply 298April 3, 2020 3:10 PM

shucks

by Anonymousreply 299April 3, 2020 3:12 PM

If you call your bank, or CC company and just say, "I have been affected financially by the Corona epidemic," They will put you on a deferred payment program without blinking an eye. For mortagages, and car loans, they just tack on those deferred months to the end of your loan, for CCs they freeze your account but you still have interest accumulating.

I did that for all my major payments and now I'm just socking away all of my unemployment, tax refund, severance pay and any stimulus from the government. All of that goes into my savings because we don't know how long this thing will last.

by Anonymousreply 300April 3, 2020 3:27 PM

Thanks to the last 10 posts, the thread has now derailed. Please go back to good news, like this one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301April 3, 2020 11:35 PM

'He's lucky he got it early ... after a week or two, they'd have denied him a ventilator to save a younger person.'

He didn't need a ventilator to recover. The majority of people who get this don't need ventilators.

by Anonymousreply 302April 3, 2020 11:58 PM

R288, you are kind individual to offer rent leniency in this difficult time; in regards to your frustration about your tenants not being proactive, I can only say for myself that I had to ask my landlord for rent leniency this month (I'm not laid off yet, but that could possibly happen next week) - I paid him 1/2 of what I owe with the understanding that I'd pay him the balance once I was able to return to work - but I felt a lot of shame about doing it. So maybe what's holding back your tenants isn't an unwillingness to reach out, but a sense of shame & hopelessness about their predicament. But I get your situation too in that you also have bills to pay.

Just a thought - but this is a positive thread and God knows we need it, so I don't want to derail the discussion

by Anonymousreply 303April 5, 2020 10:19 AM

R300 that's great advice, but freezing my credit card is not helpful right now. I need to keep it active in case I need it. I have three cards so I could freeze one of them and keep the other two open.

by Anonymousreply 304April 5, 2020 12:36 PM

Glad to find this thread again. It keeps dropping off of my watch list.

It amazes me how some long-forgotten thread I tagged over a year ago will suddenly reappear on my list (because someone bumped it), yet this one tagged just a week ago keeps falling off.

by Anonymousreply 305April 5, 2020 3:47 PM

University of Pennsylvania vaccine to begin human trials in a few weeks. It's is based on their work with SARS and MERS coronaviruses. It’s delivered by a micro needle array patch applied to the skin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306April 6, 2020 11:57 PM

[quote]Malaria drug shows success in treating corona.

I initially read this as "Melania drugs."

by Anonymousreply 307April 7, 2020 12:01 AM

NYC is plateauing and hopefully won’t get quite as bad as projected.

by Anonymousreply 308April 7, 2020 12:07 AM

[quote]University of Pennsylvania vaccine to begin human trials in a few weeks. It's is based on their work with SARS and MERS coronaviruses. It’s delivered by a micro needle array patch applied to the skin.

But it might cause autism! Or fibromyalgia!

by Anonymousreply 309April 7, 2020 12:10 AM

“It's is based on their work with SARS and MERS coronaviruses”

Do either of those have a vaccine?

by Anonymousreply 310April 7, 2020 12:15 AM

R310, did you read the article linked at R306?

[quote]Here we describe the development of MNA (microneedle array) delivered MERS-CoV vaccines and their pre-clinical immunogenicity. Specifically, MNA delivered MERS-S1 subunit vaccines elicited strong and long-lasting antigen-specific antibody responses. Building on our ongoing efforts to develop MERS-CoV vaccines, promising immunogenicity of MNA-delivered MERS-CoV vaccines, and our experience with MNA fabrication and delivery, including clinical trials, we rapidly designed and produced clinically-translatable MNA SARS-CoV-2 subunit vaccines within 4 weeks of the identification of the SARS-CoV-2 S1 sequence. Most importantly, these MNA delivered SARS-CoV-2 S1 subunit vaccines elicited potent antigen-specific antibody responses that were evident beginning 2 weeks after immunization.

by Anonymousreply 311April 7, 2020 12:27 AM

[quote] NYC is plateauing and hopefully won’t get quite as bad as projected.

It may in fact have already peaked a few days ago and going down. New cases in NYC have decreased the past few days. Let's see if it continues.

by Anonymousreply 312April 7, 2020 1:03 AM

San Francisco: "Our curve is flat, unambiguously."

The models were way off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313April 7, 2020 1:09 AM

R306 That should be University of Pittsburgh, not U. of Pennsylvania.

Your Pittsburgh correspondent,

by Anonymousreply 314April 7, 2020 1:28 AM

Inhaled nitric oxide increases oxygen levels in people with mild to moderate covid infection symptoms, AND it kills coronaviruses. Clinical trials are underway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315April 7, 2020 1:42 PM

My favorite line in R315's article:

[quote] Now Viagra is being explored as a treatment for COVID-19.

Can you imagine if Viagra proved to be the cure? Lol!

by Anonymousreply 316April 8, 2020 12:23 AM

LOL indeed, R316.

by Anonymousreply 317April 8, 2020 11:06 AM

[quote]Can you imagine if Viagra proved to be the cure?

Like Boris Johnson needs any help in that area.

by Anonymousreply 318April 8, 2020 11:22 AM

Here's some good news: I got an email from GEICO this morning saying they were giving everyone a 15% credit on all auto and motorcycle policies up for renewal in the next six months or so. Of course maybe this was just a pre-emptive strike -- they are probably thinking that a lot of people who are driving much less during the lockdown will be demanding adjustments to their rates.

by Anonymousreply 319April 8, 2020 1:41 PM

We need to do two things of equal importance.A Vaccine, an Defeating ALL Republicans.

by Anonymousreply 320April 8, 2020 3:35 PM

COVID-19 accelerated the departure of Bernie Sanders. Forever grateful.

by Anonymousreply 321April 8, 2020 3:38 PM

NPR article showing the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation's Covid19 predictions for each state. According to this, some states have already passed their peak, and numbers in many states are lower than initially feared. Sadly, NY, NJ, CT, RI, and MA are not among them.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322April 8, 2020 3:47 PM

What are you talking about, R322? NY is way below what was predicted.

by Anonymousreply 323April 8, 2020 4:06 PM

Projections way down in Ohio; combination of early shut downs and citizens distancing.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324April 8, 2020 8:31 PM

Has anyone been tracking whether that site they are talking about at R322 has been on target with the states they already say have passed their peak? I've looked at a couple and, while they are off, it's not usually by orders of magnitude or anything. I don't know if how far they are off is statistically significant or not. Any statisticians or mathematicians on here?

by Anonymousreply 325April 9, 2020 2:27 AM

Tons of fresh produce is rotting in Florida, because all the restaurants are closed and there is no way to move them to market. Tomatoes zucchini, etc. Ashame. And there are thousands of hungry people out here. Food insecurity is a huge issue. But getting the food to the people is almost impossible. Farmers are losing their shirts. Man Trump has fucked us up so bad there is no end to it. His latest is that he wants us to forget this. Hiswords. "We need too forget this happened." No way, asshole.

by Anonymousreply 326April 9, 2020 4:42 AM

R326 seriously this has to be the new #neverforget. Times 100.

by Anonymousreply 327April 9, 2020 4:51 AM

It will shock you how much it never happened.

by Anonymousreply 328April 9, 2020 4:55 AM

r326, I served at a food pantry today that is mobile, they do it once a month, I’ve done it for years. It’s *always* opened at 6pm, and there are people who would arrive as early as 5, but it was a handful. Usually it goes to say 715, but the time we clean up it’s 8ish,

Today, they came at 4pm, it was a drive through this time of course, and we were so bombed that we were done by 6:15, I mean like I was in my car at 6:15 — we ran out of everything. We served about 80 families in a terrible pouring thunder storm with 50mph gusts and micro-bursts, I broke my back it was so hard. And the cars just kept coming and coming, We must have had to turn away another 80 families. Many/most food pantries are not open.

I cried on my way home.

by Anonymousreply 329April 9, 2020 4:59 AM

Why don't they just open the fields of food that's not making it anywhere and let people go get it?

by Anonymousreply 330April 9, 2020 5:59 AM

Austria's Alpine region of Tyrol lifts quarantines, with the rest of the country soon to follow.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331April 9, 2020 7:11 AM

“Trouble knocked at the door, but, hearing laughter, hurried away”

by Anonymousreply 332April 9, 2020 2:09 PM

Nature loves it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333April 9, 2020 2:11 PM

[quote]Austria's Alpine region of Tyrol lifts quarantines, with the rest of the country soon to follow.

The hills are alive, with the sound of wheezing ...

by Anonymousreply 334April 9, 2020 3:03 PM

Please don't let them open the ski resorts. Goddamned skiers were probably responsible for 50% of Europe's cases.

by Anonymousreply 335April 9, 2020 3:07 PM

[quote]Goddamned skiers were probably responsible for 50% of Europe's cases.

And Europe, not China, was responsible for America's pandemic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336April 9, 2020 3:11 PM

Twitter account of Steak-Umm, maker of supermarket cheesesteaks, emerges as unlikely voice against coronavirus misinformation

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337April 9, 2020 6:10 PM

I can’t believe Steak Umms still exist! My brother loved those in the 80s. The “meat” always weirded me out.

by Anonymousreply 338April 9, 2020 6:18 PM

I got LAID.

by Anonymousreply 339April 9, 2020 7:02 PM

Informative article on the various vaccine and treatment strategies being pursued against covid.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340April 9, 2020 10:00 PM

Dr. Ashton with ABC News said an hour or so ago that there's another drug -- not any of the ones we've been talking about up to now -- that, if it works, would not only treat the virus but also act as a preventative, which would be awesome if true. It's set to go into the clinical trial phase in a couple of months or so.

by Anonymousreply 341April 9, 2020 10:07 PM

R336, no. China was responsible for the pandemic. The disease came to the East Coast of the US via Europe, but it originated in China. Never forget that.

by Anonymousreply 342April 9, 2020 10:57 PM

Amen r342.

In a similar vein, China has finally reclassified dogs as pets and not livestock. Every legit news article has a horrible picture of butchered dogs accompanying it (even Reuters) so if anyone needs further details, just goggle it.

by Anonymousreply 343April 10, 2020 12:30 AM

Is that the Pfizer one, R341?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344April 10, 2020 1:34 AM

I don't believe so, R344. The one Ashton cited wasn't just a name, I think it also had some numbers in it. She even joked after pronouncing it that it's not something that exactly rolls off the tongue.

by Anonymousreply 345April 10, 2020 1:45 AM

It's EIDD-2801, a broad-spectrum antiviral from Drug Innovation Ventures at Emory. It was licensed by Ridgeback in March.

by Anonymousreply 346April 10, 2020 1:55 AM

104-year old woman in Minnesota beat Coronavirus.

She wasn't even hospitalized at any point.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347April 11, 2020 12:21 AM

Another 104-year-old survivor in Oregon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 348April 11, 2020 12:29 AM

R342 and 343 -good news only. There are plenty of other threads for your stuff.

by Anonymousreply 349April 11, 2020 1:02 AM

Antibody test was approved by FDA and is now in its first week of use.

I think use right now is limited to medical workers, but it will be expanding next week.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350April 11, 2020 1:25 AM

The 104 year-olds in R347 and R348 can't BOTH be the "oldest" survivor. They need to decide which one is older.

by Anonymousreply 351April 11, 2020 2:33 AM

US trial of Japanese flu drug to treat coronavirus gets FDA approval.

The FDA has given the green light to three Massachusetts hospitals to launch small trials of favipiravir to treat coronavirus patients.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352April 11, 2020 2:38 AM

Published April 11: A leading British scientist says she is “80 percent” confident that a vaccine for the coronavirus could be ready by September. Sarah Gilbert, a vaccinology professor at Oxford University, told the Times of London in an article published Saturday that the vaccine her team developed could probably be ready in the fall “if everything goes perfectly.”

by Anonymousreply 353April 11, 2020 2:52 PM

Why would anyone want to live to 104?

by Anonymousreply 354April 11, 2020 3:10 PM

r353 I hope not. I love her on The Conners. I'll be sad if she is too focused on the vaccine to appear in the full season.

by Anonymousreply 355April 11, 2020 5:27 PM

[quote]Why would anyone want to live to 104?

Go suck an egg.

by Anonymousreply 356April 11, 2020 5:32 PM

Keep distancing; it's working.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357April 11, 2020 7:19 PM

Caitlyn has a creative way to connect with her fans while living with the quarantine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358April 11, 2020 10:40 PM

Any COVID-19 patient in the (huge) Pittsburgh-area UPMC health system will be eligible to enter a fast-tracked clinical trial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359April 13, 2020 6:35 PM

Yay!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360April 13, 2020 7:41 PM

Animals are reclaiming Yosemite. One report said the bear population had quadrupled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361April 13, 2020 7:43 PM

R360, it's almost impossible to flunk an LAUSD student. They don't have the money or space to hold a student back.

by Anonymousreply 362April 13, 2020 7:47 PM

Sex toy sales are BOOMING!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363April 14, 2020 7:00 PM

This article was posted 3 weeks ago in R110. This guy proved to be correct.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 364April 14, 2020 7:11 PM

The FDA has approved a saliva coronavirus test developed at Rutgers. No swabs needed, and it’s safer for the person administering the test.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365April 14, 2020 7:54 PM

I SPIT on your saliva test!

by Anonymousreply 366April 14, 2020 10:06 PM

Coronavirus Healthcare Workers Are Putting Their Photos on PPE So Patients See Their Smiles:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367April 15, 2020 6:08 PM

The hot ones need to put their nude photos there.

by Anonymousreply 368April 15, 2020 6:15 PM

Agree

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 369April 15, 2020 7:34 PM

Terrific, practical advice from a physician on how to stay safe when reentering the world.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370April 16, 2020 11:22 AM

Great post R370-- thank you!

by Anonymousreply 371April 16, 2020 11:33 AM

Another thanks R370. I think that's the single best piece synthesizing everything about practical safety that I've read during this whole shitshow. It made me feel a lot better and I'm going to share it far and wide.

by Anonymousreply 372April 16, 2020 12:08 PM

Let's just IGNORE the connection of the drug company's name to a certain somewhat fictional dystopia. But promising maybe,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373April 16, 2020 11:57 PM

Hot singing doctor releasing EP to benefit COVID-19 Response fund.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374April 17, 2020 4:09 PM

No posts since Friday. Is it hopeless?

by Anonymousreply 375April 20, 2020 11:24 AM

Only for you R375.

by Anonymousreply 376April 20, 2020 11:32 AM

"Abandon all hope, ye who enter here." -- DL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377April 20, 2020 12:11 PM

Sara Gilbert

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378April 22, 2020 9:29 AM

The Harkles keep doing ridiculous things & giving everyone something to cluck about besides the virus & what a fucktard Trump is.

And the senate (a day late & a dollar short, as usual) FINALLY agreed that Russia meddled in the 2016 election & influenced the outcome. Duh - to be sure, but the fact that a Repug lead committee finally conceded that point...well, that's something, right?

by Anonymousreply 379April 22, 2020 1:46 PM

I hope they aren't in such a rush to get a vaccine out that it's a bad vaccine with a worse outcome. It seems like Trump would be perfectly ok with it not being properly tested. That's the problem when you have a president that people don't push back on.

by Anonymousreply 380April 22, 2020 2:02 PM

And these last two comments are hopeful how?

by Anonymousreply 381April 22, 2020 9:04 PM

[quote]I hope they aren't in such a rush to get a vaccine out that it's a bad vaccine with a worse outcome.

Did you read the article? It's a proven technology that's been used for ten other viruses. It's already been tested through human trials for MERS with no bad effects. Basically, they just change the shape to match Covid 19's spike. All the vaccine work done for SARS and MERS is coming in very handy now.

And, for people who keep comparing this to the 1918 epidemic, please remember that we didn't even know what genes were at that time. This time, it took a week to read the entire genetic code of the virus. Different times.

by Anonymousreply 382April 22, 2020 9:20 PM

So is there anymore good fucking news? I'm sicking of reading all of this negative shit

by Anonymousreply 383April 22, 2020 9:47 PM

Is Ivermectin looking promising?

by Anonymousreply 384April 22, 2020 9:55 PM

A light at the end of the coronavirus pandemic tunnel? 6 signs to look for:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385April 23, 2020 12:24 AM

I heard about a study today, and I'm afraid I can't tell you where it was based, where they compared the number of deaths this time last year with the number this year. They removed known Coronavirus deaths from this year's figure before they started. The number of deaths this year was still way up on last year - which the researchers believed may be a clue that there were many Covid deaths that had not been linked to the virus.

That seems like a good idea to put in place for locations where there is concern there's not enough testing. States must keep records of the number of death certificates issued. There would be some lag while you waited for all of the certificates to be registered for the period, but it's better than no information on which to make plans for reopening.

by Anonymousreply 386April 23, 2020 3:14 PM

Someone just posted this in the other coronavirus thread but I thought it would be a good fit here (let's just hope it's true):

[quote]Word from Italy: the Italian papers are reporting that groups of doctors are saying that the virus seems to be losing force, the new infections they're seeing seem to be milder.

by Anonymousreply 387April 23, 2020 5:20 PM

Bill Gates

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388April 24, 2020 2:46 AM

Vaccines starting human trials.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389April 24, 2020 7:59 PM

COVID-19 patients in NYC given famotidine (Pepcid) in new clinical trial

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390April 27, 2020 2:01 PM

From the Washington Post. 4/27/20

The Department of Homeland Security has tested the affect of sunlight and humidity on the coronovirus

[quote] Half the virus may be killed in as little as two minutes if it’s on a surface exposed to sunlight and high humidity at room temperature.

[quote] That's according to lab studies conducted the Department of Homeland Security and detailed at a White House coronavirus briefing last week. Under drier, shady conditions, the virus’s half-life is far greater — around 18 hours.

[quote] The results are preliminary and haven’t been peer reviewed. Yet they could go on the “hopeful” side of the ledger for governors eyeing the summer months with trepidation, puzzling over how to return their states to some semblance of normalcy while also keeping the virus tamped down. How the warmer summer months will affect the spread of the virus is a big, unanswered question, and one that holds major bearing on which types of social gatherings could be safely resumed.

[quote] “I was reassured to see what impact sunlight has on the virus,” said Dr. Birx, who is reportedly one of the candidates being considered to replace Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar. “We should still social distance, but I think it’s really important to see that direct sunlight may actually be able to kill the virus.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391April 27, 2020 2:09 PM

Picture of groups of people killing the virus in California.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392April 27, 2020 2:13 PM

We need more sun in NYC!!

by Anonymousreply 393April 27, 2020 2:14 PM

R392 I hate to be the one to break it to you, but the insides of human bodies aren't what they're referring to in R391.

by Anonymousreply 394April 27, 2020 2:20 PM

I posted r391. I also posted r392 as a, you know, joke.

Even so, summer sunlight and humidity could help make it safer to be in public in summer if it kills the virus present in aerosol in 1.5 minutes as opposed to 1 hour without sunlight and with less humidity.

by Anonymousreply 395April 27, 2020 2:32 PM

Honestly R392 I've seen so many dumbassed opinions about the virus on DL that I just can't tell jokes from seriousness anymore.

Maybe I'm grumpy because we're a few days shy of May and I still need to wear gloves and a winter coat to walk my dog in the morning.

by Anonymousreply 396April 27, 2020 2:36 PM

A new preprint (not-yet-peer-reviewed study) shows that meliacinanhydride, a phytochemical in neem leaf, a staple of ayurvedic medicine, is shown to bind more effectively to SARS-CoV-2 protease than hydroxychloroquine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397April 27, 2020 4:13 PM

I'm so confused by the heat and sunlight issue. I swear I've seen reputable articles that say that neither of those are useful but now this. Just another 2020 day I guess.

by Anonymousreply 398April 27, 2020 4:32 PM

R397 Neem was peddled as an HIV treatment, too, before tritherapy. Did not work.

by Anonymousreply 399April 27, 2020 4:37 PM

Well, Trump, fresh from his disinfectant humiliation, has cancelled the briefing today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 400April 27, 2020 5:46 PM

Pittsburgh is a safe place to be:

[quote] We are happy to continue to report encouraging news: UPMC has not seen the surge in COVID-19 cases that we were prepared to handle. Our system-wide positivity rate for COVID-19 testing was 6.6 percent in the one-week period from April 14 to April 20, and COVID-19 patients are using only 2 percent of beds across UPMC.

by Anonymousreply 401April 27, 2020 6:09 PM

Milk Thistle is the cure!

by Anonymousreply 402April 27, 2020 6:15 PM

R400, GOD DAMN IT

by Anonymousreply 403April 27, 2020 6:15 PM

[quote]The Department of Homeland Security has tested the affect of sunlight and humidity on the coronovirus

Please tell me this wasn't printed in the paper (or online) that way.

by Anonymousreply 404April 27, 2020 6:26 PM

I wonder why Pittsburgh seems to be a low-risk center? It's a major medical and academic city.

by Anonymousreply 405April 27, 2020 6:27 PM

R405 I think we have a number of things in our favor: low density, proximity to Ohio that cracked down very early, people tend to stay in their own neighborhoods so there's not a lot of cross-pollination, the major medical and academic centers all shut down early and asked students not to return from break and staff to work from home sooner than was required by the governor, we're no longer an international airline hub, and people from the Philly/NY area don't really come here.

by Anonymousreply 406April 27, 2020 6:38 PM

[quote] and people from the Philly/NY area don't really come here.

Right, R406. It's too far. Pittsburgh is 4 1/2 hours from Philadelphia, 6 hours from New York and a bit under 4 hours from DC - too far for a day trip.

It's nice area, though. I've long thought that Pittsburgh would become the East Coast version of Portland, but so far that hasn't really happened. Pittsburghers are probably not entirely unhappy about that fact.

by Anonymousreply 407April 28, 2020 12:14 AM

FDA has approved Remdisivir for treatment of Covid-19.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 408April 29, 2020 6:05 PM

From 408's article.

[quote]Fauci's team uncovered the first drug to show a modest impact on the virus that causes AIDS — research that was built upon over subsequent years to find HIV drug cocktails.

Seem a little hesitant to say AZT, which fucked it up for those that survived the first wave.

by Anonymousreply 409April 30, 2020 12:49 AM

Quest Diagnostics rolls out home COVID-19 antibody test

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410May 1, 2020 3:12 PM

The COVID-19 Research Pass, a project of ReadCube, Springer Nature, Wiley, and JAMA, offers free access to millions of articles on the latest research.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 411May 1, 2020 3:20 PM

Inventor creates touchless door opener using 3D printing technology

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 412May 1, 2020 3:28 PM

France24.com: At least 10 different drug compounds ranging from cancer therapies to antipsychotics and antihistamines may be effective at preventing the new coronavirus from multiplying in the body, according to a multidisciplinary study conducted by a team of scientists in the United States and France.

The researchers mapped the human proteins the virus interacts with inside the body when it infects cells and makes copies of itself, then looked for compounds that could block the virus from using those proteins.

The result showed that 47 compounds in cell cultures had the desired effect, at least 10 of which are already in approved drugs or being studied for diverse conditions, but could be repurposed against COVID-19, the illness caused by the new coronavirus.

by Anonymousreply 413May 1, 2020 3:42 PM

Scientists conclude people cannot be infected twice.

A number of reported cases of coronavirus patients relapsing after overcoming the disease were actually due to testing failures, South Korean scientists say.

Researchers at the South Korean centre for disease control and prevention (CDC) now say it is impossible for the COVID-19 virus to reactivate in human bodies.

South Korea's CDC has found that the test results for the suspected relapsed patients were false positives, and warned the test it used was not able to distinguish between live traces of the virus and the harmless dead samples which remain after patients have recovered.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 414May 1, 2020 3:46 PM

Scientists discover a link between dietary selenium deficiency and severity of illness in infected patients

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415May 1, 2020 3:51 PM

Googling selenium-rich foods ...

by Anonymousreply 416May 1, 2020 3:53 PM

COVID experts report that the pandemic will be around for about two years until 60 to 70% of the population become immune.

by Anonymousreply 417May 1, 2020 4:04 PM

Study referenced by R413 (not yet peer-reviewed or edited; PDF at link below)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 418May 1, 2020 4:43 PM

Are you sure that is "home" test, R410? I think you have to set up appointment to take it.

by Anonymousreply 419May 1, 2020 6:14 PM

Well, if it's true that you can't get reinfected, that's very positive news.

by Anonymousreply 420May 1, 2020 7:05 PM

Researchers are testing whether decades-old vaccines for polio and tuberculosis could protect against infection.

Surprising new research in a niche area of immunology suggests that certain live vaccines that have been around for decades could, possibly, protect against the coronavirus. The theory is that these vaccines could make people less likely to experience serious symptoms — or even any symptoms — if they catch it.

At more than 25 universities and clinical centers around the world, researchers have begun clinical trials, primarily in health care workers, to test whether a live tuberculosis vaccine that has been in use for 99 years called the bacillus Calmette-Guérin, or B.C.G., vaccine, could reduce the risks associated with the coronavirus. Another small but esteemed group of scientists is raising money to test the potential protective effects of a 60-year-old live polio vaccine called O.P.V.

It’s counterintuitive to think that old vaccines created to fight very different pathogens could defend against the coronavirus. The idea is controversial in part because it challenges the dogma about how vaccines work.

But scientists’ understanding of an arm of immunology known as innate immunity has shifted in recent years. A growing body of research suggests that live vaccines, which are made from living but attenuated pathogens (as opposed to inactivated vaccines, which use dead pathogens) provide broad protection against infections in ways that no one anticipated.

Scientists stress that these vaccines will not be a panacea. They might make symptoms milder, but they probably won’t eliminate them. And the protection, if it occurs, would most likely last only a few years. Still, “these could be a first step,” said Dr. Mihai Netea, an immunologist at Radboud University in the Netherlands who is leading another one of the trials. “They can be the bridge until you have the time to develop a specific vaccine.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 421May 1, 2020 7:41 PM

I'm envisioning the sleazy ambulance-chasing law firms already working on television commercials that start with "Were you or a loved one affected by taking ______ [insert name of proposed COVID-19 treatment]? If so contact Dewey, Cheatham, and Howe. We'll get you the biggest settlement, guaranteed!"

by Anonymousreply 422May 1, 2020 9:01 PM

It's nice to target these new drugs to healthcare workers and extra at-risk populations, but dammit, I want some too!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 423May 2, 2020 1:30 AM

Another everyday drug that may show promise as an antiviral

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 424May 2, 2020 8:24 PM

I think the best hope for overcoming this thing is treatment, not a vaccine.

by Anonymousreply 425May 3, 2020 1:53 PM

I'll take both -- treatment and vax.

by Anonymousreply 426May 3, 2020 2:21 PM

I want that TB vaccine stat!

by Anonymousreply 427May 3, 2020 2:56 PM

R424, I thought Naproxen sounded familiar. It's Aleve. It'd be amazing if that actually worked.

by Anonymousreply 428May 3, 2020 3:01 PM

British scientists developing a potential vaccine for the coronavirus hope to see a “signal” as to whether their vaccine candidate is working by June, one official involved in the effort told “Meet the Press” Sunday.

Sir John Bell, the Regius Professor of Medicine at Oxford University, where one of the leading efforts to develop a vaccine is underway, said that the prospects for its candidate are “pretty good” and that “as every day goes by, the likelihood of success goes up.”

The researchers hope to have enough data from their phase-two trials that “we would get evidence that the vaccine has efficacy by the beginning of June.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 429May 3, 2020 5:13 PM

Where there's life there's death. Fixed it for you.

by Anonymousreply 430May 3, 2020 7:15 PM

CBS “60 Minutes” correspondent Lesley Stahl, age 78, was hospitalized with COVID-19, she revealed on the broadcast tonight. Now out and recovered.

by Anonymousreply 431May 4, 2020 12:39 AM

She probably used it as a cover for having some work done.

by Anonymousreply 432May 4, 2020 1:15 AM

I still want that TB vaccine...where can I get it??

by Anonymousreply 433May 4, 2020 2:32 PM

When did they stop giving out TB vaccines as a matter of routine? Anyone know?

by Anonymousreply 434May 4, 2020 2:41 PM

Treatments And Vaccines Are Coming That Really Could Turn The Tide In 2020:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 435May 4, 2020 4:39 PM

Dum spiro, spero.

by Anonymousreply 436May 4, 2020 6:19 PM

I have a cell phone plan that charges $10 for every gigabyte (no free data at all.) Last month, I left my house (where I use wi-fi) so infrequently that my total usage was 0.19 GB. My bill for the whole month was $24.54.

by Anonymousreply 437May 4, 2020 6:23 PM

CNBC: U.S. doctors are currently testing an influenza drug made by Fujifilm as a treatment for Covid-19. The drug, called favipiravir, has been shipped from Japan to 43 countries where it will be tested in clinical trials among patients with mild to moderate symptoms. Favipiravir previously saw promising results in a clinical trial in China where patients treated with the drug tested negative for Covid-19 after a median of four days.

by Anonymousreply 438May 4, 2020 7:57 PM

Fujifilm makes vaccines!? The fuck.

by Anonymousreply 439May 4, 2020 9:17 PM

Scientists have identified an antibody in a lab that they say can prevent the novel coronavirus from infecting cells. The team hopes the antibody could be used to create treatments for COVID-19, the disease caused by the virus.

The team, whose research was published in the journal Nature Communications, have been exploring whether what are known as monoclonal antibodies could help patients with COVID-19. Monoclonal antibodies are a type of protein created in a lab which can bind to a specific substance in the body. These types of antibodies mimic how the immune system responds to a threat, and are used to treat some forms of cancer.

An antibody named 47D11 was found to bind to the spike protein which the novel coronavirus, known as SARS-CoV-2, uses to enter the body, and block it in a way that neutralizes the pathogen.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 440May 4, 2020 11:15 PM

New study shows evidence of immunity in those who’ve recovered from Covid-19.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 441May 5, 2020 12:10 AM

Pretty amazing story on Chris Hayes Tonight of a nursing home staff that committed to live on site for 10 weeks so that none of them would bring the virus into the home. The director sleeps in his office and he rented trailers for staff. And it’s worked, no residents have gotten sick.

by Anonymousreply 442May 5, 2020 12:43 AM

"Only" 1,015 deaths today. The lowest daily toll in a month.

by Anonymousreply 443May 5, 2020 1:13 AM

Because the red states have all coordinated their lies, R443.

by Anonymousreply 444May 5, 2020 1:21 AM

[quote]Fujifilm makes vaccines!? The fuck.

Favipiravir is made by Fujifilm Pharma, which is the biotech arm of Fujifilm.

by Anonymousreply 445May 5, 2020 4:08 AM

Turns out the OP was blowing smoke out of his ass.

by Anonymousreply 446May 5, 2020 5:20 AM

NYT: Pfizer and German pharmaceutical company BioNTech announced that their potential coronavirus vaccine began human trials in the United States on Monday. If tests are successful, the vaccine could be ready for emergency use here as early as September.

by Anonymousreply 447May 5, 2020 12:12 PM

Reuters: Israel has isolated a key coronavirus antibody at its main biological research laboratory, the Israeli defence minister said on Monday, calling the step a "significant breakthrough" toward a possible treatment for the COVID-19 pandemic.

The “monoclonal neutralising antibody” developed at the Israel Institute for Biological Research (IIBR) “can neutralise it (the disease-causing coronavirus) inside carriers’ bodies,” Defence Minister Naftali Bennett said in a statement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 448May 5, 2020 12:45 PM

The Guardian: Austria’s first loosening of its coronavirus lockdown three weeks ago, in which thousands of shops reopened, has not led to a new spike in infections, though further vigilance is necessary, its health minister said on Tuesday.

On 14 April, Austria became one of the first countries in Europe to loosen its lockdown, reopening DIY and garden centres as well as shops of up to 400 sq metres – twice the playing area of a singles tennis court.

“We can now examine and assess the effects of 14 April and the following days very, very well and they show that we managed this first opening step excellently,” health minister Rudolf Anschober told a news conference.

“We have no indication of a noticeable increase in individual areas. The situation is very, very constant, very, very stable and that is a really very, very positive, good situation,” he said.

The daily increase in infections, he added, is 0.2%.

Current data does not reflect the impact of a more recent loosening from 1 May when hairdressers, other service providers and shops of more than 400 sq metres were allowed to reopen.

by Anonymousreply 449May 5, 2020 1:14 PM

But Austria doesn't have Fox News.

by Anonymousreply 450May 5, 2020 1:18 PM

The LA Times reports this morning that "scientists have identified a new strain of the coronavirus that has become dominant worldwide and appears to be more contagious than the versions that spread in the early days of the COVID-19 pandemic." On the other hand, the NY Post points to a just-released study indicating that coronavirus might be weakening:

“One of the reasons why this mutation is of interest is because it mirrors a large deletion that arose in the 2003 SARS outbreak,” lead study author Dr. Efren Lim, an assistant professor at Arizona State University’s Biodesign Institute, said in a statement.

During the middle and late phases of the 2003 SARS epidemic, the virus accumulated mutations that lessened its strength, according to the researchers.

“Where the deletion occurs in the genome is pretty meaningful because it’s a known immune protein which means it counteracts the host’s antiviral response,” Lim told the Daily Mail.

A weakened virus that causes less severe symptoms may get a leg up if it is able to spread efficiently through populations by people who don’t know they are infected, the scientists say.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 451May 5, 2020 1:29 PM

David Byrne’s Reasons to Be Cheerful online magazine has launched a new series exploring “the once-in-a-generation potential of the extraordinary changes” occurring in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“This is a catalyzing moment and many of the changes that have been made or contemplated are going to be permanent –– some of those are good, and some deeply questionable,” Byrne said in a statement. “We at Reasons to be Cheerful of course want to know: how can we keep the good stuff? Who is doing it (it’s already happening) and how those ideas and initiatives are working out?”

The series, “Now Anything Is Possible,” launched Friday with an op-ed by the same name penned by journalist Mitch Anderson, which likens our current situation to America emerging out of the Great Depression thanks to the New Deal.

“Is this another moment of elemental change? Could the pandemic catalyze structural reforms and societal shifts to make the future more resilient, sustainable and fair? Or, after the crisis subsides, will the old systems snap back into place, leaving us roughly where we were — or worse — before this all began?” Anderson wrote.

In late March, Byrne penned an op-ed titled “The World Is Changing — So Can We” that similarly addressed the pandemic and its potential for change. “What is happening now is an opportunity to learn how to change our behavior,” Byrne wrote. “For many of us, our belief in the value of the collective good has eroded in recent decades. But in an emergency that can change quickly.”

Byrne launched Reasons to Be Cheerful in August 2019 as a “tonic for tumultuous times.” The singer said at the time: “We hope to balance out some of the amplified negativity and show that things might not be as bad as we think.” Byrne is a frequent contributor to the site, recently penning an article praising Texas’ investment in wind energy and wondering why the nation doesn’t follow suit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 452May 5, 2020 1:30 PM

That article about the weakening of the virus due to genetic deletions talks about it being based on testing a number of nose swabs and reading the genetic code of the virus present. Only one of the samples showed the virus with the deleted portion. They already know there's a strong and a weak strain and that the strong strain is dominating in America. Isn't it possible that they just found the one test sample that had the weaker virus strain and not that the stronger strain itself is weakening?

by Anonymousreply 453May 7, 2020 4:50 AM

I just read that Llamas possess virus killing antibodies...get me some of that!

by Anonymousreply 454May 7, 2020 11:47 AM

NYT: Winter is a 4-year-old chocolate-colored llama with spindly legs, ever-so-slightly askew ears and envy-inducing eyelashes. Some scientists hope she might be an important figure in the fight against the novel coronavirus.

She is not a superpowered camelid. Winter was simply the lucky llama chosen by researchers in Belgium, where she lives, to participate in a series of virus studies involving both SARS and MERS. Finding that her antibodies staved off those infections, the scientists posited that those same antibodies could also neutralize the new virus that causes Covid-19. They were right, and published their results Tuesday in the journal Cell.

The researchers are hopeful the antibody can eventually be used as a prophylactic treatment, by injecting someone who is not yet infected to protect them from the virus, such as a health care worker. While the treatment’s protection would be immediate, its effects wouldn’t be permanent, lasting only a month or two without additional injections.

This proactive approach is at least several months away, but the researchers are moving toward clinical trials. Additional studies may also be needed to verify the safety of injecting a llama’s antibodies into human patients.

by Anonymousreply 455May 7, 2020 11:53 AM

I for one welcome our new llama overlords.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 456May 7, 2020 11:58 AM

The National Institutes of Health does not expect coronavirus to mutate as rapidly as seasonal flu, according to Dr. Francis Collins, director of the institution.

“We don’t think it will have this very rapid seasonal change that we have to deal with influenza,” Collins said Thursday during a hearing before the Senate Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions.

by Anonymousreply 457May 7, 2020 6:10 PM

WaPo: Blood thinners show promise for boosting the survival chances of the sickest covid-19 patients.

A study of hospitalized patients showed that 29 percent of patients on ventilators who received anticoagulants died, compared with 63 percent who did not receive the treatment.

by Anonymousreply 458May 7, 2020 6:25 PM

I volunteer to be cured by Llamas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 459May 7, 2020 9:23 PM

I got yer antibodies right here, ladies!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 460May 8, 2020 6:23 AM

CNBC: Biopharma company Sorrento Therapeutics and Mount Sinai Health System in New York City announced they have joined forces to develop an antibody cocktail called COVI-SHIELD they hope will shield against Covid-19 infection for up to two months.

This therapy is designed to be resistant to future virus mutations since it uses three neutralizing antibodies to ward off the disease.

by Anonymousreply 461May 8, 2020 2:56 PM

[quote] antibody cocktail called COVI-SHIELD

Will only be available in PA at state stores, and not on Sundays.

by Anonymousreply 462May 8, 2020 4:41 PM

Bottoms up! Covidaholics!

by Anonymousreply 463May 8, 2020 5:55 PM

There is one and only one "strain" of SARS-CoV-2.

[quote]There is only one strain of SARS-CoV-2. The first virus isolate, taken from a Wuhan patient in December 2019, is the same strain as the most recent isolate taken anywhere else in the world in May 2020. So far no one has shown that any of these virus isolates differ in any fundamental property.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 464May 8, 2020 9:47 PM

R464, there's a medical journal article on one of these threads about there being a strain where an 80 unit long piece of the viruses genetic code has been deleted. It mirrors a similar change that took place in the SARS virus. Here's an article I just googled about it. Just google it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 465May 9, 2020 3:44 AM

Hawaii on Friday reported no confirmed cases of coronavirus for the first time since March 13. Meanwhile, Friday was the second day in a row that hard-hit New Orleans in Louisiana reported no new coronavirus deaths.

by Anonymousreply 466May 9, 2020 1:53 PM

A new study offers a glimmer of hope in the grim fight against the coronavirus: Nearly everyone who has had the disease — regardless of age, sex or severity of illness — makes antibodies to the virus.

The new study relied on a test developed by Florian Krammer, a virologist at the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai, that has a less than 1 percent chance of producing false-positive results.

The study also eased a niggling worry that only some people — only those who were severely ill, for example — might make antibodies. In fact, the level of antibodies did not differ by age or sex, and even people who had only mild symptoms produced a healthy amount. Having antibodies is not the same as having immunity to the virus. But in previous research, Dr. Krammer’s team has shown that antibody levels are closely linked with the ability to disarm the virus, the key to immunity.

Experts said the next step would be to confirm that the presence of antibodies in the blood means protection from the coronavirus. The body depends on a subset of antibodies, called neutralizing antibodies, to shield it from the coronavirus. “The question now becomes to what extent those are neutralizing antibodies and whether that leads to protection from infection — all of which we should presume are yes,” said Sean Whelan, a virologist at Washington University in St. Louis.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 467May 9, 2020 2:22 PM

CNN: Patients who happened to be taking a common heartburn medicine while hospitalized for Covid-19 were more than twice as likely to survive the infection, according to a paper posted Friday on a pre-publication website.

It’s unclear whether the patients fared better because of the famotidine or if it’s a coincidence.

Of 1,620 hospitalized patients studied, 84 of them, or about 5%, were taking famotidine, an active ingredient in Pepcid, a popular over-the-counter heartburn treatment.

“Compared to the rest of the patients, those who received famotidine had a greater than 2-fold decreased risk of either dying or being intubated,” according to a statement by authors of the study at Columbia University Irving Medical Center.

by Anonymousreply 468May 9, 2020 5:43 PM

Lowest number of deaths since March recorded yesterday.

by Anonymousreply 469May 11, 2020 1:13 AM

Numbers are always lower on the weekend. Check back on Tuesday. Also, we don't know how accurate the reporting is now that they want to open things back up....

by Anonymousreply 470May 11, 2020 1:19 AM

R470, I know you are invested in being miserable about everything all the time but there have been other weekends since March.

by Anonymousreply 471May 11, 2020 1:26 AM

470 yeah I know. The numbers week-to-week trended down too.

by Anonymousreply 472May 11, 2020 1:26 AM

The lockdown/socila distancing/face coverings etc caused the flattening and downward trend. Let's see if that continues in the next few weeks as things open-up...

by Anonymousreply 473May 11, 2020 1:34 AM

^social

by Anonymousreply 474May 11, 2020 1:34 AM

Fewest cases (18K) reported in a month and half. Fewest deaths in a month. 4% positivity rate is the lowest yet.

Monday, however, is usually a slow reporting day.

by Anonymousreply 475May 12, 2020 12:57 AM

[quote]4% positivity rate is the lowest yet.

Don't believe this for a second. Also, the red states are all lying about their total deaths, too. Plus, testing is still shit level.

Next.

by Anonymousreply 476May 12, 2020 2:18 AM

Read the title of the thread, R476.

by Anonymousreply 477May 12, 2020 2:38 AM

A lot of people are using the pandemic to make changes in their lives, if they can. Furloughed? Unemployed? Maybe now is the time to move to the sunbelt.

by Anonymousreply 478May 12, 2020 3:24 AM

R477, doesn't mean truth should be ignored. There's a difference between sunshine and bullshit.

by Anonymousreply 479May 12, 2020 6:10 AM

102-year-old Icelandic woman recovers from COVID-19

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 480May 12, 2020 11:30 AM

[post redacted because independent.co.uk thinks that links to their ridiculous rag are a bad thing. Somebody might want to tell them how the internet works. Or not. We don't really care. They do suck though. Our advice is that you should not click on the link and whatever you do, don't read their truly terrible articles.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 481May 12, 2020 12:03 PM

Sorry, I forgot DL doesn't allow links to the Independent. Here's the gist of the story:

itamin D appears to help reduce serious complications among coronavirus patients, according to a study.

Researchers from Trinity College Dublin, the University of Liverpool and the Irish Longitudinal Study on Ageing (TILDA) examined the association between vitamin D levels and Covid-19 mortality rates.

Dr Eamon Laird and Professor Rose Anne Kenny, who co-authored the paper, found vitamin D can help support the immune system through a number of pathways involved in fighting SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes Covid-19.

After analysing more than 20 years’ worth of European data on vitamin D, and comparing it with current statistics on Covid-19, the researchers showed that the highest infection and death rates had been recorded among those populations with low vitamin D concentrations.

These includes the likes of Spain and Italy which, despite their lower latitude positions and heightened exposure to sunlight, both suffer from high rates of vitamin D deficiency.

by Anonymousreply 482May 12, 2020 12:04 PM

The vitamin D thing might explain the prevalence in black and Latino populations in the US. Darker skin doesn't make Vitamin D as well as lighter skin. I always thought that there was more to it than poverty and bad access to health care because the hillbillies covering the South are just as unhealthy and fat and have just as little health care access but they weren't disproportionately affected in the same way. Their red necks might have saved them.

by Anonymousreply 483May 12, 2020 12:12 PM

CNBC: Denmark’s chief epidemiologist has said the country is “very unlikely” to be hit with a second wave of Covid-19, after the government laid out plans for increased testing and contact tracing, Reuters reports.

Denmark, which has had 533 coronavirus-related deaths so far, was the first in Europe to relax its lockdown almost a month ago. The infection rate and the number of deaths have continued to drop.

“No country has seen an actual second wave yet. Some countries have seen the spread go up and down,” state epidemiologist Kare Molbak said at a news briefing.

“But with the knowledge we have today, I find it very unlikely that we’ll see a second wave,” he said.

by Anonymousreply 484May 12, 2020 12:26 PM

WaPo: Doctors express glimmers of hope as they try out new approaches against coronavirus

For the first time since a wave of patients flooded their emergency rooms in March, those on the front lines are expressing a feeling they say they haven’t felt in a long time — glimmers of hope. They say they have devised a toolbox, albeit a limited and imperfect one, of drugs and therapies many believe give today’s patients a better shot at survival than those who came only a few weeks before.

The menu of treatment options, tried singly and increasingly in combination, includes the blood plasma of covid-19 survivors, a rich source of antibodies that may help neutralize the virus; drugs to suppress the body’s own immune response, which some believe goes into hyperdrive as it tries to fight an invader; anticoagulants, which decrease the risk of deadly clots, and finally, antivirals, such as remdesivir.

Randomized clinical trials are necessary to confirm early anecdotal data, with the results probably months away. But doctors say they believe they are seeing some positive results from these and other things they have learned through trial and error these past 10 weeks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 485May 14, 2020 12:52 PM

Research continues on inhaled nitric oxide (aka Viagra)

[quote] "Under the emergency expanded access program, we have been encouraged by the improvements in patients with COVID-19 treated with INOpulse, reinforcing the potential for our propriety therapy to improve oxygenation in patients and halt the progression of the virus. We look forward to working with institutions across the United States to enroll patients into this important clinical trial and accelerate access to patients in need.” The Phase 3 randomized, placebo-controlled study, called PULSE-CVD19-001, will evaluate the efficacy and safety of INOpulse in patients diagnosed with COVID-19 who require supplemental oxygen before the disease progresses to necessitate mechanical ventilation support. The PULSE-CVD19-001 protocol utilizes an adaptive design and aims to enroll up to 500 patients with COVID-19 who will be treated with either INOpulse or placebo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 486May 14, 2020 1:28 PM

[quote]“But with the knowledge we have today, I find it very unlikely that we’ll see a second wave,” he said.

Tell that to Germany.

What's the current status of movement within the Schengen Area?

by Anonymousreply 487May 14, 2020 1:30 PM

Wuhan is having a second wave right now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 488May 14, 2020 1:51 PM

If I'm reading that article correctly, there's no second wave. There was a cluster of six infections, but because of the level of distrust the government earned the first time round, rumors and a bit of hysteria spread rapidly and now they're testing everyone.

Six is the only number in the article.

by Anonymousreply 489May 14, 2020 2:10 PM

Harvard and MIT researchers are developing a face mask that lights up when it detects the coronavirus

The team is designing a face mask to produce a fluorescent signal when a person with the coronavirus breathes, coughs, or sneezes. If the technology proves successful, it could address flaws associated with other screening methods like temperature checks.

The team hopes to demonstrate that the concept works within the next few weeks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 490May 14, 2020 2:27 PM

R490, that sounds like a terrible idea. Can you imagine walking down the street and people's masks start lighting up. Or, you're standing in line and the person in front of you suddenly begins to glow because their viral load just reached detectable level? I guess if they just used it in hospitals for diagnosis it might be okay but they're talking about using it instead of temperature checks at places of business which is ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 491May 14, 2020 3:01 PM

Sounds like a great idea to me, R490. Someone's mask lights up around me and I'm hightailing it in the opposite direction. Better than working all day next to someone who's infectious.

by Anonymousreply 492May 14, 2020 3:03 PM

That mask is a great idea, especially since temperature checks are useless on asymptomatic people.

by Anonymousreply 493May 14, 2020 3:35 PM

The light up mask also sounds like a terrible idea to me, at least for the general public. It'll be like yellow stars that freaks and psychos will use to just shoot people point blank.

by Anonymousreply 494May 14, 2020 8:55 PM

Where do you live R494? Florida?

by Anonymousreply 495May 14, 2020 9:09 PM

The Independent: London’s rate of coronavirus infection has fallen to less than 24 cases a day, the lowest in the UK, nearly two months after the region hit a high of 200,000 new cases in a day at the start of the nationwide lockdown.

Research by Public Health England and the University of Cambridge’s MRC Biostatic Unit showed the number of daily infections in London now halving every 3.5 days, which means coronavirus could be wiped out there within just two weeks.

by Anonymousreply 496May 15, 2020 4:06 PM

Yeah what about the rest of the country...when you look at NY and remove it from the numbers they're actually going up everywhere else

by Anonymousreply 497May 15, 2020 4:07 PM

R496: That is just in London. NOT the case in the rest of the UK.

[quote] 3,560 new cases and 384 new deaths in the United Kingdom [source]

R497: Exactly

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 498May 15, 2020 4:11 PM

[quote]That is just in London. NOT the case in the rest of the UK.

Yes. Hence the very first sentence in the post: "London’s rate of coronavirus infection has fallen to less than 24 cases a day, the lowest in the UK."

by Anonymousreply 499May 15, 2020 4:13 PM

New evidence suggests that COVID-19 patients on ventilators usually survive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 500May 15, 2020 6:25 PM

That's shocking -- in a good way -- R500, given that I've been seeing and reading that ventilator mortality rates were around 80%.

by Anonymousreply 501May 15, 2020 6:38 PM

A new preprint (not-yet-peer-reviewed) study suggests that recent infection with common-cold coronaviruses may offer some protection against SARS-CoV-2.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 502May 16, 2020 2:54 PM

Measles vaccination may also offer partial protection

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 503May 17, 2020 3:50 PM

Coronavirus Vaccine Trial by Moderna Shows Promising Early Results

NYT: The first coronavirus vaccine to be tested in people appears to be safe and able to stimulate an immune response against the virus, its manufacturer, Moderna announced on Monday.

The findings are based on results from the first eight people who each received two doses of the vaccine, starting in March.

Those people, healthy volunteers, made antibodies that were then tested in human cells in the lab, and were able to stop the virus from replicating — the key requirement for an effective vaccine. The levels of those so-called neutralizing antibodies matched the levels found in patients who had recovered after contracting the virus in the community.

The company has said that it is proceeding on an accelerated timetable, with the second phase involving 600 people to begin soon, and a third phase to begin in July involving thousands of healthy people.

If those trials go well, a vaccine could become available for widespread use by the end of this year or early 2021.

by Anonymousreply 504May 18, 2020 4:25 PM

The sunny days are getting longer, and higher vitamin D (which we get from the sun) levels are associated with better outcomes.

by Anonymousreply 505May 18, 2020 4:28 PM

"The study showed that if the neutralising antibody was injected before the mice were infected with the virus, the mice stayed free of infection and no virus was detected."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 506May 19, 2020 11:57 AM

People who test positive again for the coronavirus, despite having already recovered COVID-19, aren’t being reinfected, a new study finds.

Reports of patients discharged from hospitals in South Korea testing positive after their apparent recovery had raised concerns that people could get infected by the virus in the short term more than once or that the infection could come back. But diagnostic tests for the coronavirus that causes COVID-19 rely on detecting the virus’s genetic material (SN: 4/17/20). A positive result does not indicate whether a person is shedding viruses capable of infecting cells — which would signal an active infection.

Now, a May 19 report from the Korean Centers for Disease Control and Prevention shows that samples from “reinfected” patients don’t have infectious viruses. The finding hints that the diagnostic tests are picking up on the genetic material from noninfectious or dead viruses. That lack of infectious virus particles means these people aren’t currently infected and can’t transmit the coronavirus to others, the researchers say.

“It’s good news,” says Angela Rasmussen, a virologist at Columbia University. “It appears people are not being reinfected, and this virus is not reactivating.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 507May 19, 2020 11:29 PM

New Orleans Remarkable Recovery: City Has Gone 3 Days Without A Coronavirus Death

New Orleans, which once held the unfortunate distinction of having the highest per capita coronavirus death rate of any city in the country, hasn’t reported a new death from coronavirus in the past three days — highlighting a remarkable turnaround for a city that was one of the hardest hit during the early weeks of the coronavirus outbreak.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 508May 19, 2020 11:42 PM

^That's so odd. They don't really say why.

by Anonymousreply 509May 20, 2020 2:01 AM

^Yeah, it did seem for a while that New Orleans was in deep crap -- cases skyrocketing without having abundant health care capacity. I'd love to hear how it got turned around.

by Anonymousreply 510May 20, 2020 6:38 AM

New Orleans probably killed off every single vulnerable person that lived there. Guess that's one way to go. Seems like it's Trump's plan.

by Anonymousreply 511May 20, 2020 7:02 AM

Treatment with the antiviral interferon alfa-2b (IFN-a2b) appears to speed up virus clearance and lower levels of key inflammatory markers in patients with COVID-19, according to an exploratory study conducted in Wuhan, China.

This study provides “the first compelling evidence of a potential treatment that is approved and we have decades of experience with,” Dr. Eleanor Fish of the Toronto General Hospital Research Institute and the University of Toronto Department of Immunology, in Canada, told Reuters Health by phone.

With IFN-a2b, “we achieved accelerated viral clearance by about seven days, which is faster than with remdesivir, and we showed a reduction in circulating levels of inflammatory markers, which really exacerbate disease,” Dr. Fish told Reuters Health.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 512May 20, 2020 7:29 PM

Researchers at Drexel University’s C. & J. Nyheim Plasma Institute are modifying an air sterilization system they created to combat the threat of anthrax attacks post-9-11 in hopes it can now help to ward off COVID-19.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 513May 22, 2020 8:29 PM

Fewer than 100 deaths in NY today - the smallest number in almost two months.

China reported no new cases.

Spain reported fewer than 50 deaths and has been reporting very low new infection numbers despite reopening and the right-wing staging mass protests.

by Anonymousreply 514May 23, 2020 5:45 PM

China recorded no new confirmed COVID-19 cases on the mainland for May 22, the first time it had seen no daily rise in the number of cases since the pandemic began in the central city of Wuhan late last year.

by Anonymousreply 515May 23, 2020 7:56 PM

Yikes.

[quote]Figures released last week suggest about 7% of the UK population may have already been infected with Covid-19 virus, a relatively low level of infection that poses problems for testing vaccines. A sufficient number of volunteers has to be exposed to the virus to see if a vaccine protects them or not. But if their chances of being in contact with an infected person are low, it will take a long time to demonstrate the efficacy of a vaccine candidate.

[quote]As a result, scientists have proposed that human challenge trials could be introduced to test a vaccine quickly and so save thousands of lives by preventing future infections. “Levels of infection in the community are already low, and if this virus behaves like other respiratory diseases and coronaviruses, there may be even lower levels over the summer,” said Professor Lawrence Young of Warwick University Medical School. “There will not be enough people secreting the virus to be in contact with volunteers in vaccine projects. It is just not going to work.”

[quote]Young argues that human challenge trials should be considered “very seriously” for the UK. These would involve giving volunteers either a placebo or a vaccine, as is normally done in trials. But instead of waiting to find out how the two groups fare without interference, scientists would deliberately infect them with the Covid-19 virus. This would very quickly show if a vaccine works or not.

[quote]“Only very healthy young people – around the age of 25 – who have given informed consent would be used,” added Young, who points out that such trials have already been used to test the efficacy of vaccines for flu and the common cold.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 516May 24, 2020 8:58 PM

New Research Shows Electroceutical Fabric Eradicates Coronavirus Infectivity On Contact

The fabric is polyester printed with little metal dots made of zinc and silver. The geometric, alternating pattern of zinc and silver make microcell batteries which generate an electric field upon exposure to moisture. When used in wound care, the electric field prevents biofilms from forming and reduces the risk of bacterial infection during the healing process.

Knowing viruses rely on electrostatic forces to assemble and attach to cells, the researchers suspected the electroceutical fabric could be used to destabilize the coronavirus as well.

Just one minute of contact to the electroceutical fabric led to significant reduction in the electrokinetic property of the viral particles. Additionally, researchers monitored the infected cells recovered from the electroceutical fabrics and noticed an absence of the cytopathic effects expected in the presence of viral invasions.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 517May 25, 2020 12:47 PM

Just bumping since we need some posts here right now.

by Anonymousreply 518May 30, 2020 12:48 PM

Here's a site that is updated frequently with good news related to covid

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 519May 30, 2020 1:15 PM

I like it!

by Anonymousreply 520May 30, 2020 5:52 PM

Some vaccine news

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 521May 30, 2020 7:18 PM

This doctor is extremely optimistic. But he’s an alternative to the gloom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 522May 30, 2020 7:30 PM

This doctor is extremely optimistic. But he’s an alternative to the gloom.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 523May 30, 2020 7:31 PM

This article was worth a read.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 524May 30, 2020 7:34 PM

Thanks R524. Though of those five items, this one

"DNA vaccine shows promise in monkeys"

does not inspire hope.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 525May 30, 2020 9:30 PM

Mounting evidence suggests the coronavirus is more common and less deadly than it first appeared.

The evidence comes from tests that detect antibodies to the coronavirus in a person's blood rather than the virus itself. The tests are finding large numbers of people in the U.S. who were infected but never became seriously ill. And when these mild infections are included in coronavirus statistics, the virus appears less dangerous.

"The current best estimates for the infection fatality risk are between 0.5% and 1%," says Caitlin Rivers, an epidemiologist at the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 526June 4, 2020 1:35 AM

The counterpoint to the good news at R526:

54% of the 76 asymptomatic persons on the Diamond Princess who were examined by computed tomography appeared to have significant subclinical abnormalities in their lungs. So asymptomatic and “mild” cases may present long-term health impacts.

by Anonymousreply 527June 4, 2020 1:42 AM

Still, that’s better than being dead, R527.

by Anonymousreply 528June 4, 2020 1:54 AM

These government fuckers MUST get a handle on testing. We’re all living somewhere between limbo and nightmare when in fact we might be able to get back to normal or close to it quicker. I don’t understand why poor, shuttered business isn’t offering to foot the bill for the damned testing.

by Anonymousreply 529June 4, 2020 2:29 AM

No one is in limbo. Daily infections are dropping fast. In my state they are down 50% in just the last two weeks. Everything is re-opening.

by Anonymousreply 530June 4, 2020 11:06 AM

[quote]Daily infections are dropping fast.

Utah is seeing a statewide ‘sharp spike’ in COVID-19 cases, state’s epidemiologist says.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 531June 4, 2020 12:24 PM

Alabama Reopens And COVID-19 Cases Soar 300 Pct Month Over Month.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 532June 4, 2020 12:27 PM

For the week ending May 31, cases increased in Arizona, Virginia, Alabama, South Carolina, California, Kentucky, Utah, Texas, Mississippi, Arkansas, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Washington, Nebraska, Tennessee, Louisiana and Florida.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 533June 4, 2020 12:31 PM

For the week ending May 31, cases increased in Arizona, Virginia, Alabama, South Carolina, California, Kentucky, Utah, Texas, Mississippi, Arkansas, Wisconsin, North Carolina, Washington, Nebraska, Tennessee, Louisiana and Florida.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 534June 4, 2020 12:31 PM

So thanks for that, R530. Things are definitely under control and everyone's obviously out of limbo and lockdown.

What planet are you on?

by Anonymousreply 535June 4, 2020 12:42 PM

I'm surprised they're still going up in California - I thought they had much stricter lock-downs overall than most states and it looked like there was pretty much general compliance. Puzzled by Washington, too.

I guess one good thing is that if 17 states are still seeing increases, 33 are seeing declines. Overall I would call that positive.

by Anonymousreply 536June 4, 2020 7:15 PM

Cases are increasing because testing is increasing.

by Anonymousreply 537June 4, 2020 8:00 PM

[quote]Cases are increasing because testing is increasing.

Hospitalizations due to the coronavirus are on the rise across the country, former FDA Commissioner Dr. Scott Gottlieb told CNBC this morning.

He added that hospitalizations are a “lagging indicator” that represent infections that occurred weeks ago, “but are more objective” than diagnosed cases, which are tied to how much testing is being done.

“Arizona hit 1,000 hospitalizations yesterday. Florida hit a high number of hospitalizations. They turned over about 1,400 cases, the highest number since April 17. We’re seeing hospitalizations go up in Tennessee, in Texas, in Georgia, in North Carolina, Minnesota, obviously.”

He added that hospitalizations are increasing in Wisconsin and Ohio as well.

“We’re heading into the fall with a lot of infection in this country,” he said. “That’s going to create risk to the fall and the winter."

by Anonymousreply 538June 4, 2020 8:03 PM

Doctors say covid-19 at UPMC is declining in virulence, infection levels, 6/4/20

Covid-19 is declining in both virulence and infection levels among patients at the state’s largest health care system, UPMC officials said Thursday.

[quote] Dr. Donald Yealy, who heads emergency medicine at the system that has hospitals across the state (Pennsylvania), said both the ratio of patients testing positive for the virus and the viral load of those infected have been on the downturn since late April. Fewer patients are requiring ventilators to help them breathe.

[quote] He said results of testing here seem to mirror reports from northern Italy, where doctors have seen less virulent cases among those who have been infected recently. He said that has not been the case universally and pointed to South America, where the virus is still raging strong.

[quote] Researchers can’t pinpoint exactly why they’re seeing lower viral loads and infection rates. Yealy said it could be a combination of several factors. He said viruses tend to mutate with time, can interact with the weather and may be less infectious when those carrying the virus have a lower viral load.

[quote] “And, finally, we are probably making better decisions about who needs what kind of care,” he said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 539June 5, 2020 4:07 AM

Today was the first day of 0 covid deaths in NYC since March.

by Anonymousreply 540June 5, 2020 4:12 AM

COVIDTRAPTM, a proprietary ACE2-Fc decoy protein, binds strongly to the spike protein of the SARS-CoV-2 virus;

- COVIDTRAP neutralizes the SARS-CoV-2 virus and prevents infection in African green monkey kidney epithelial cells (VERO/E6 cells) in vitro at low concentration;

- STI-4398 has received FDA Feedback on the rapid development of the product candidate; and

- Together with Sorrento's previously announced potent STI-1499 neutralizing antibody preclinical product candidate, STI-4398 COVIDTRAP may provide a potent antidote against COVID-19.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 541June 5, 2020 6:57 PM

I wonder if the decline in virulence is due to the fact that the virus took out the most vulnerable already.

by Anonymousreply 542June 5, 2020 11:01 PM

[quote]I wonder if the decline in virulence

There is no confirmation of a decline in virulence.

by Anonymousreply 543June 5, 2020 11:05 PM

R543, go read R539 and other articles instead of making ignorant proclamations.

There are also articles you can read about how there's been an evolution that mimics the mutation that SARS underwent last time that made it less virulent due to a missing length of RNA. The new virus is showing signs of a breakdown in that same portion of RNA.

by Anonymousreply 544June 6, 2020 1:39 AM

I did read R539 and other articles making similar claims. Then I read a bunch of articles from health experts pushing back on these claims. The vast majority of experts do not believe the virus is becoming less virulent.

by Anonymousreply 545June 6, 2020 1:58 AM

WaPo, 6/5/20

Coronavirus infections haven’t spiked since Europe loosened lockdowns. There are many theories about why.

[quote] One contested theory, aired by two Italian doctors this past week, is that the virus has weakened or become less aggressive. Many health officials have pushed back forcefully against that claim, saying there is no peer-reviewed evidence of such changes, and that cases every day are still proving deadly.

[quote] Massimo Ciccozzi, head of the molecular epidemiology unit at the Rome-based University Campus Bio-Medico, said his lab would be studying ways the virus may have mutated. But he said there were other reasons serious pneumonias might be developing less frequently — among them, the wider use of new therapies. Other experts have raised the possibility that a younger cohort of people is now being infected.

[quote] There is accumulating evidence that the “viral load” is linked to the severity of the infection, and that outdoor summer transmissions could make for a milder disease.

[quote] “It’s like a huge, huge puzzle,” Ciccozzi said. “Every day you find a piece.”

[quote] All the while, in country after European country, reported daily case numbers have not just leveled off, like in parts of the United States, but continued to plummet.

Much more at link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 546June 6, 2020 2:06 AM

Medium 6/4/20

Expert speculation that the virus could be weakening is unpopular — and maybe also dangerous. The Reuters piece was republished in the New York Times and elsewhere, and it triggered an immediate wave of backlash. Health officials within Italy and at the World Health Organization refuted the Italian doctors’ comments, and a panel of U.K.-based experts said that any claims that the virus is weakening are dubious and not supported by evidence.

“I think it’s just not plausible at this point in time,” says Oscar MacLean, PhD, one of those panelists and a bioinformatician at the Institute for Infection, Immunity, and Inflammation at the University of Glasgow in the U.K. “We’ve seen no evidence of widespread attenuation.”

by Anonymousreply 547June 6, 2020 2:11 AM

Local doctors in Pittsburgh are saying similar things. The key is that they're seeing lower viral loads, which says to me that the VIRUS hasn't changed but the circumstances under which people are being infected have. In other words, distancing, mask wearing, etc . are actually having their intended affect. It would be much better for public health if more doctors started screaming THAT from the rooftops rather than misleading people into thinking that the virus has mutated.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 548June 6, 2020 1:18 PM

Well, NYC covid-related hospitalizations doubled from Thursday to Friday so we’re not out of the woods yet.

by Anonymousreply 549June 6, 2020 2:32 PM

In support of R543 he said clearly: there is no scientific evidence or data to confirm the view the virus is weakening.

Surprise of surprises, there's lot of opinions it is.

by Anonymousreply 550June 6, 2020 3:47 PM

R548, exactly. The general consensus is that the severity of viral disease is related to how many virus particles you are infected with. Which makes sense: I would expect that I would get less sick from a single virus floating up my nostril than from a blast of viruses from an infected patient in the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 551June 7, 2020 2:58 AM

Low-dose dexamethasone, a corticosteroid, is a "breakthrough" in treating severe COVID-19 in UK studies

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 552June 19, 2020 4:15 PM

I'm frankly tired of hearing about treatments for severe cases. I want a pill or shot that can be given as soon as someone tests positive, that will inhibit the virus and -prevent- severe cases. What ever happened to the people who were researching naproxen?

by Anonymousreply 553June 19, 2020 5:51 PM

I would think that the treatments to treat the worst cases would also apply to less advanced cases. They just don't make a difference in mortality at that point so it's more difficult to quantify for a news blurb. Harder to count something you completely prevented.

R551, I would think that the infection rate would be more affected by the initial viral load than would be the severity of the disease. Your body can only fight off so many viruses. If one or two hit your mucous membranes, your immune system can take care of it. If they get hit by a thousand, maybe they kill 990 of them but those 10 left over viruses are enough to start an infection and, once it gets going, it just grows exponentially as it invades more and more cells.

by Anonymousreply 554June 19, 2020 8:49 PM

[quote] I want a pill or shot that can be given as soon as someone tests positive, that will inhibit the virus and -prevent- severe cases.

Do you want it to taste like Reese's Peanut Butter Cups and be delivered by unicorns, too?

by Anonymousreply 555June 19, 2020 9:56 PM

Obviously, yes.

by Anonymousreply 556June 19, 2020 10:55 PM

R555 As a matter of fact, yes!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 557June 19, 2020 11:00 PM

I won't let this thread die! Some hope that existing anti-cancer drugs could be repurposed to stop coronavirus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558July 6, 2020 2:57 PM

Cannabis extracts may help stave off cytokine storm

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 559July 10, 2020 5:46 PM

A plasma shot could prevent coronavirus. But feds and makers won’t act, scientists say

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 560July 10, 2020 11:54 PM

Not enough profit.

by Anonymousreply 561July 11, 2020 12:35 AM

No deaths in NYC today.

by Anonymousreply 562July 13, 2020 2:07 AM

Only around 20 deaths in Illinois today. And, while cases went up over the last few days, they are back under 1000 again. We'll see if that's just because it's Sunday and the numbers are delayed until tomorrow or Tuesday but I hope we're still doing okay.

Pritzker and Lightfoot are doing great so far. Hope they keep it up and kick any asses that need kicking.

by Anonymousreply 563July 13, 2020 2:14 AM

Any other #$#$ing good news???

by Anonymousreply 564July 14, 2020 9:30 PM

This site

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 565July 14, 2020 9:54 PM

R565, I was looking at that site the other day and the lack of anything good from America was depressing as shit. We should have finished off the South after the Civil War when we had the chance. Backwards fucking ignorant assholes.

by Anonymousreply 566July 15, 2020 5:24 AM

Need some good news about covid-19? Here are six reasons for optimism:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 567July 16, 2020 1:01 PM

Antimicrobial coating developed in Canada for face masks kills 99% of SARS-COV-2 within minutes

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 568July 16, 2020 2:23 PM

CNBC: British pharmaceutical company Synairgen claimed its new respiratory coronavirus treatment has reduced the number of hospitalized Covid-19 patients needing to be placed on ventilators.

The drug, SNG001, is a formulation of a naturally-occurring antiviral protein called interferon beta inhaled directly into the lungs via a nebulizer. In a double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of 101 patients between March 30 and May 27, the treatment produced a 79% lower risk of patients developing severe disease than those given a placebo. Synairgen also claimed that patients treated with SNG001 “were more than twice as likely to recover (defined as ‘no limitation of activities’ or ‘no clinical or virological evidence of infection’) over the course of the treatment period.”

by Anonymousreply 569July 20, 2020 11:59 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 570July 20, 2020 9:08 PM

Some doctors see decline in premature births during COVID-19 lockdowns

A team of doctors in Ireland and Denmark are working to determine if COVID-19 lockdowns have any positive impact on premature birth rates.

As first reported in the New York Times, the doctors found premature births had significantly dropped during lockdowns in their respective regions but couldn't figure out why.

In the study, researchers used low birth weight as a representative for premature births and compared data from Jan. to April 2020 to the same time periods since 2001. In Ireland, they found that the "very low birth weight" national rate saw a 73 percent reduction from Jan. to April this year compared to the last two decades.

"It's really hard to say what might be causing this," said Manisha Gandhi, Chief of Maternal Fetal Medicine at Baylor College of Medicine and Texas Children's Pavilion for Women. "Premature delivery and premature birth is still a very unknown diagnosis as to what causes it which also makes it hard to prevent because we don't know what all the causes are."

While the U.S. sees an average premature birth rate of about 10 percent, Gandhi said they haven't noticed any differing trends at Texas Children's Pavilion for Women from Jan. to April.

"We're always looking to see what potential interventions and potential causes could be affecting this rate, and so the idea that there are some areas that have noticed this drop, and in some areas quite a large drop, it's exciting to think, 'OK maybe we can look into what may have changed in those areas to potentially get us closer to finding some additional reasons for why premature births occur and potential interventions that could be created to help make that change and decrease that rate everywhere,'" Gandhi said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 571July 22, 2020 12:13 AM

[Quote]Israel will be out with their vaccine in less than 3 months

It's been 8 months, and there is no sign of that vaccine. It's almost like it was just one in a series of propagandistic claims designed to boost the false image of Israel as a technological powerhouse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 572November 11, 2020 4:01 PM

Summary of treatment protocols recommended by Eastern Virginia Medical School for preventative therapy, mild cases, and critical cases

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573November 12, 2020 2:21 AM

R573 Thanks! That's the sort of useful information that never seems to find its way to the public. Mind If I steal the link and post it to the CoronaMegathread?

by Anonymousreply 574November 12, 2020 11:46 AM

^ Of course you can!

by Anonymousreply 575November 12, 2020 4:48 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!