Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fashions from the 1950s

These fashions don't look at all dated. I could see ladies wearing these styles today, except for the middle one.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398March 28, 2020 3:09 AM

What year is this from, OP, around 1957? The fashions of the late '50s and early '60s were the epitome of classic, simple chic. Many of them could easily be worn today with some small changes For example, the skirts are a little too long on these dresses, but that's a simple alteration. I agree with you about the dresses on the left and right. They're chic and stylish, but probably too dressy for most women's everyday lives these days, unfortunately.

Besides the hemlines, the other big difference that would be immediately noticeable in real life: These dresses are shaped using darts and seams, not Spandex. You won't find tailoring like that on modern women's clothes, and it would immediately date the outfits ... but they'd still look great.

by Anonymousreply 1March 13, 2020 6:36 AM

Oops, forgot to add that they'd still look great but would require foundation garments. These dresses were meant to be worn with a girdle underneath. They wouldn't fit properly without one. Also note the high bust line that's designed to be worn with the super-lift, pointy bras of the time. A modern woman wearing these dresses would need a strong body shaper and push-up bullet-shaped bra unless she had access to vintage foundation garments.

by Anonymousreply 2March 13, 2020 6:45 AM

The best of 1950s fashion is timeless, the New Look ultra-femme full skirts, and the "wiggle dresses" that Marilyn Monroe favored.

But a lot of 1950s fashion was dreadfully prim and twee. Dreadful short matronly haircuts, fussy little hats, white gloves, Peter Pan collars, etc. So prim that even the housewives with six kids looked like virgins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 13, 2020 7:55 AM

Some fashions from the 1950s are classic, timeless, and endlessly fabulous.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 13, 2020 8:02 AM

And some fifties fashions should have been burned with fire.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5March 13, 2020 8:10 AM

The dresses at OP made me think of L'Wren Scott ("then she died"), which made me think this photo of her with Simon Doonan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 13, 2020 8:16 AM

And this one with SJP:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 13, 2020 8:17 AM

Those sheath dresses looked simple, but in reality as pointed out they were anything but.

In days before natural fibers were blended with Spandex movement was constrained. Between small armholes, fitted bosom area and tightly fitted lines you had to fit the dress, not other way round. This meant women needed to wear various foundation garments, usually the ever present girdle and maybe a waspie or something else to shape the figure. Most dresses wouldn't be lined either, so a slip would be needed as well.

Once strapped into the gear and poured into dress, add a pair of high heels and women couldn't walk with long strides. Instead it was sort of a mincing foot in front of other movement.

Quite a lot of 1950's ladies fashions could be worn today with some modifications. But few women nowadays want to be bothered wearing dresses, skirts, etc.. Even fewer are going to strap themselves into required gear that provides a smooth line, well not on a daily basis anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 13, 2020 11:56 AM

OP... Ladies? Where are you meeting ladies? I haven't encountered any ladies since, well... since these dresses new.

by Anonymousreply 9March 13, 2020 12:00 PM

R8, to wear those small-waisted New Look dresses, women were basically wearing Victorian undergarments.

Not just a girdle, but a Merry Widow foundation garment that probably included fucking whalebones to cramp the waist, smooth the bum, and push up the bust, plus a crinoline to fill out the skirt. And stockings and high heels. Which is why loose waistless shifts and low heels and pants came in in the 1960s, along with "women's lib". Women wanted to be able to move and breathe.

by Anonymousreply 10March 13, 2020 12:14 PM

I mean, imagine wearing all this shit every day.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 13, 2020 12:15 PM

Our new one-piece lace foundation garment. Zips up the back and no bone.

by Anonymousreply 12March 13, 2020 12:22 PM

With Dior and many other designers foundation (corset) was built into the garment. This was true for haute couture, and perhaps "dressmaker" things depending upon skill of seamstress.

Ready made off the rack stuff, yes that would have required foundation garments mentioned. But then most ladies would also have to take whatever dress, suit, evening gown or whatever to a seamstress or dressmaker to have it fitted to themselves. This would have been done over whatever foundation garments Madam was going to wear.

Back when brides wore real gowns, not the strapless or spaghetti strap nonsense of today it was same thing. After gown was chosen off the rack as it were, it would have to be fitted to wearer over whatever undergarments she planned on wearing.

The original Playboy bunny hostess costumes were done this way as well. They were basically a one piece corset complete with steel boning that were fitted to each girl.

Of course depending upon how much controlling a woman's figure required, she may have worn foundation garments even with what was built into dress or whatever. And yes, there would have been something required to hold up stockings and perhaps contain derriere and hips such as girdle.

by Anonymousreply 13March 13, 2020 12:26 PM

Well, any woman unwilling to wear restrictive foundation garments on a daily basis is nothing but a lazy slattern! Don’t get me started on them leaving the house without a hat and gloves.

by Anonymousreply 14March 13, 2020 12:30 PM

And heels, R14. Do not forget proper ladies footwear.

by Anonymousreply 15March 13, 2020 12:33 PM

R11

Could be worse!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16March 13, 2020 12:33 PM

I love you, R12.

by Anonymousreply 17March 13, 2020 12:36 PM

Thank you, OP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 13, 2020 12:39 PM

Before Lycra/Spandex rubber was used extensively for foundation wear. It must have been dreadful, think of all that sweating.....

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 13, 2020 12:43 PM

They loved showing their arms in the 50s. I wonder why it was such a big deal when Michelle Obama brought this look back.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 13, 2020 2:42 PM

They were too long, Op.

by Anonymousreply 21March 13, 2020 2:47 PM

They were too long, Op.

by Anonymousreply 22March 13, 2020 2:47 PM

They were too long, Op.

by Anonymousreply 23March 13, 2020 2:47 PM

My mother had a knock off of this one.

And she didn't have a big ass or child-bearing hips, either.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24March 13, 2020 3:02 PM

Foundation garments didn't go away until the 1960, they were big during the 1920s and 30s when flat slight figures were in. In the 1950s, a few women wore as much corsetry as their Victorian grandmothers, although most just went with the bra and girdle.

And then foundation garments came back in the form of Spanx, because real women's bodies are never in style.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 25March 13, 2020 9:06 PM

I wonder why people don't seem to think the middle dress at OP could be worn today. It reminds me of some of the dresses in the most recent Jacquemus collection.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 26March 13, 2020 9:30 PM

Some of the garments seen above still remain in use today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 14, 2020 1:53 AM

I would wear it!

by Anonymousreply 28March 14, 2020 1:58 AM

The Duchess of Cambridge seems to really gravitate towards modern interpretations of the 1940s/50s aesthetic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 29March 14, 2020 2:01 AM

R1/R2/R8/R10/R13 etc....great posts! Much appreciated.

The 1960s arrived in 1957 with the Sack Dress from Givenchy and Balenciaga

Audrey Hepburn in 1958.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 30March 14, 2020 2:16 AM

There is a very popular Vogue pattern that updates these classics.

by Anonymousreply 31March 14, 2020 2:27 AM

Most dress styles for women are sleeveless and the trend has continued for many seasons. The fashion industry loves sleeveless looks because they're cheaper to produce.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 14, 2020 2:49 AM

A modern look with a vintage feel...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 14, 2020 2:52 AM

During 1990's various designers brought back Dior's "New Look" including John Galliano who was designer for that famed house during this period.

That dog of a film Evita starring Madonna was dripping with Dior inspired items.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34March 14, 2020 6:09 AM

Dior's fall/winter 1997-1998 season collection by John Galliano was very much a look back at that house's grand tradition under M. Dior.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 14, 2020 6:18 AM

More:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 36March 14, 2020 6:21 AM

No serious conversation about Dior's New Look and corseting can fail to mention Mr. Pearl.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 37March 14, 2020 6:28 AM

More on Mr. Pearl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38March 14, 2020 6:31 AM

With DL fav Linda Simpson

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39March 14, 2020 6:32 AM

Beautiful dresses. I would wear them in a heartbeat. Women were allowed to be curvier back then.

by Anonymousreply 40March 14, 2020 6:38 AM

Women these days like easy, athletic leisure wear. Most of us, men and women, don't have that kind of social calendar where it's required, or preferable, to dress up. Those few who are still into religion don't even bother with showing up at Church dressed to the nines. I mean, back in the days people dressed up for a neighbor's or friend's BBQ or had the husband's boss and wife over for a fancy dinner.

Nowadays dressing up means wearing a cosplay costume for some Comic-Con or a LARPG get-together.

by Anonymousreply 41March 14, 2020 6:45 AM

If it wasn't for clients from Middle East, Russia, Eastern Europe and some other women whose husbands or whoever have amassed huge fortunes by varied means haute couture would largely have died out already. Certainly evening and ball gowns as few if any women in Europe or North America go in for that sort of thing to a great extent anymore.

Recall watching a television program about haute couture and they interviewed wife of former French president. The good lady stated neither she nor her peers had the time nor patience for such day or evening wear. She went on about all the buttons and other closures on any given dress/garment necessitating occupying a maid for ages to get in and out of things.

Madame went on to say while she did appreciate haute couture there was a time and place for everything. Unlike some of her friends she "doesn't get changed into a suit to play piano in another part of the house".

by Anonymousreply 42March 14, 2020 6:49 AM

I just stay home and jerk off in my sweatpants.

by Anonymousreply 43March 14, 2020 6:49 AM

Looking at those ridiculous 50s foundation garments gives you an understanding of why the feminist movement happened. Women finally said "fuck this shit!"

by Anonymousreply 44March 14, 2020 6:51 AM

The Royals wear foundation garments today.

by Anonymousreply 45March 14, 2020 6:52 AM

We can't leave this discussion without touching upon Dior's wedding gowns, both vintage and modern.

There was a time when a young woman put a bit of effort into the happiest and most important day of their lives. Now it's all barely one step up from a simple little frock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46March 14, 2020 6:55 AM

Say what you will, but Princess Margaret wore the fuck out of Dior.

HRH had the figure (as a young woman) along with buckets of money. But more to the point she had the attitude to pull it all off.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47March 14, 2020 7:03 AM

^ feeling the teal

by Anonymousreply 48March 14, 2020 7:26 AM

R23

One of the biggest methods of birth control in 1950's or so was a girdle; especially those made from rubber or latex.

The things were a bitch to get on when dressing at home, so getting out of one in a back seat of car or whatever much less getting back into it was quite a feat if not impossible.

Fathers, mothers, house mothers, husbands all did "girdle checks" when women came home. This simply involved running thumb or finger down side of skirt. If tell tale ridges weren't present there was hell to pay. Hence you read about girls/women coming home with their girdles rolled up/stuff into their handbags coats, or whatever. That was clearly a sign she had been up to something while out.

That finger test was merely often confirmation. It is fairly easy to tell when most women are wearing a girdle. Nice girls don't jiggle as my grandmother would say....

Like Ouiser says "It's like two pigs fighting under a blanket. (0:47)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 14, 2020 7:27 AM

R44, those elaborate Merry Widows and corsets were not worn by most women for everyday wear in the period of OP's illustration. They were for squeezing into an evening dress or perhaps a cocktail dress if you were very fashionable.

Most women, including well-dressed women, wore a bra and girdle for day wear. That's it. They needed a girdle to hold up their stockings anyway. The girdles were not particularly comfortable, so it's not surprising that women were happy to give them up, but they weren't in the same category as the pictures above. Here you go:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50March 14, 2020 9:27 AM

R44

Besides a girdle women had garter/suspender belts to hold up their stockings. That choice along with a vast and bewildering array of other foundation garments with sew on and or detachable garters/suspenders existed until the very end. Choice was often dictated by whatever clothing milady was wearing.

You don't need a girdle for a ball gown or most evening dresses, especially ones with fitted bodices and yards of material in skirts.

This how things would remain until 1959 when a textile mill owner's wife begged (some say ordered) him to come up with something to relieve her of discomfort caused by wearing garter belts when heavily pregnant. While the new pantyhose made that wife and her friends happy, it wasn't a runway best seller; then came the 1960's fashions of mini-skirts and hot pants which dealt a lethal blow to stockings and garters.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51March 14, 2020 9:59 AM

I love sleek 50s fashion --- yet earlier fashions were so much more comfortable

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 52March 14, 2020 11:32 AM

Caption on the above reads: "Excuse me, is this where we wait while our husbands vote?"

by Anonymousreply 53March 14, 2020 11:34 AM

Love, love, LOVE this thread.

It's the perfect accessory to divert me from my contradictory mood of ambivalence and alarm over Covid-19.

by Anonymousreply 54March 14, 2020 11:58 AM

Svetlana Lloyd worked for Dior as a house model in his Paris showroom in the 1950s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55March 14, 2020 12:33 PM

[quote] ...my contradictory mood of ambivalence and alarm over Covid-19.

Thank you! You put words to my precise set of feelings as we segue into the unknown. And you did it with alliteration, too. Nicely done, Della.

I will now go perform my deepest salaam in your honor.

by Anonymousreply 56March 14, 2020 12:45 PM

Another Dior house model tells her story...

[quote]Odile was a house model at Dior from 1953 until 1958, Odile’s career began when she fortuitously stepped into a lift with Monsieur Dior. Asking her what she was doing, Odile replied, “I work for (the designer) André Levasseur”, to which Dior countered, “Not any more, you work for me now”. Odile’s classic figure meant that more than twenty outfits in each collection were made just for her and she travelled with several of the collections to New York, South Africa and England and was one of seven mannequins sent to Australia with Dior’s final collections in 1957.

[quote]During the 1950s house mannequins were integral to the running of a couture house, assisting in the development and sale of each garment. Every design in a collection was fitted on the girl chosen to model it in a process that took up to six weeks.

[quote]Dior recognised the critical role mannequins played in successfully conveying his designs and played an active role in their selection, stating, ‘they are the life of my dresses and I want my dresses to be happy’. He also aimed for a variety of ages, personalities and figures so that clients could envisage themselves in the dress.

[quote]Each season, his house mannequins presented upwards of 150 dresses in salon shows of close to two hours’ duration that were repeated multiple times over successive days for the press, buyers and clients. They also modelled the collection during private appointments for individual clients.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57March 14, 2020 1:12 PM

1950s Loungewear. The middle look is very chic, except for that medallion thing hanging off the side.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 14, 2020 1:40 PM

"The 1960s arrived in 1957 with the Sack Dress from Givenchy and Balenciaga"

Even earlier. In 1956, I Love Lucy did a Paris episode with the sack dress as a plot point.

by Anonymousreply 59March 14, 2020 1:44 PM

[quote]The 1960s arrived in 1957 with the Sack Dress from Givenchy and Balenciaga

In other words, no waistline.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60March 14, 2020 1:50 PM

The Sack Dress turning heads on the streets of Paris in 1957...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61March 14, 2020 1:58 PM

That looks like Lucy and Ethel's potato sack dresses from the Paris Episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62March 14, 2020 2:00 PM

I wish I could remember where I read this... it was a memoir by some woman, who visited Hollywood in the early fifties, when the New Look was at its height.

She said that at parties, all the women were wearing these strapless gowns with huge skirts that contained yards and yards of layered fabric, held up by a boned and fitted bodice. And that the actresses were all "... so slender they'd lost their bosoms", so that whenever they turned to one side the heavy dress would stay in place... and no boobs to serve as anchors, they'd find themselves 90 degrees askew from their dresses, and their boobs hanging out. That must have been a hilarious sight!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63March 14, 2020 2:00 PM

1950's fashions especially and including Dior's New Look were all about returning to nurturing, sex and lusty things after the deprivations and horrors of WWII.

It wasn't just about women now wearing dozens of yards of material in skirts, but the emphasis on hips, derriere, bosom in short life that is what women give to the world. Their unique and sole gift of bearing children if you will. Below the waist produces life, and bosom feed/nurture it through first months.

This was behind the whole Marilyn Monroe, Jane Russell. Jayne Mansfield and other bombshells of 1950's, along with everything else that emphasized womanhood and motherhood in post war years.

Women who were built in similar molds as above represented being equipped for motherhood. This is a natural response in post war years as people seek to escape horrors that past by creating new life, and having a bit of fun while doing so.

It wouldn't last; by the 1960's such "full figured gals" were deemed tubs of lard by the sticks like Twiggy who now came to dominate fashion.

As it has done many times previously, the pendulum swung away from full bosom, big hips and ass; over to flat chested girls with boyish bodies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 14, 2020 2:04 PM

For the record 1950's weren't just about Dior, there were other French designers making their mark on fashion.

Hubert de Givenchy was equally if not hotter than Dior. He did the costumes for film Funny Face, and you can see while there are some similarities to Dior (full skirts) M. Givenchy's look was different.

Then and now many women who buy couture or even ready made find certain designers favor their body and tend to develop a relationship.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65March 14, 2020 2:19 PM

Those are beautiful but too slim and stylish for today's society. Fat people now throw on sweat pants or, even worse, pajamas and go out in public looking nasty. A lot of people today have no sense of style or shame in what they wear to go out in public.

by Anonymousreply 66March 14, 2020 3:45 PM

Norell wore by Suzy Parker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 14, 2020 4:09 PM

They still make foundation garments such as girdles and all in ones so some women must still be wearing them. Also there is the modern equivalent of foundations, shapewear like Spanx. Foundations aren't just for shaping but for support. I wear the men's Spanx or compression shirts almost everyday, not for the shapewear qualities but for my back.

by Anonymousreply 68March 14, 2020 4:38 PM

Smoooches, r56. Salaam received and back at 'ya.

by Anonymousreply 69March 14, 2020 4:45 PM

Melania Trump either doesn't know about, or doesn't care about, foundation garments. Too many times her nipples, and post menopausal waist-line are right there, causing eye trauma.

She's achieved that busted can of biscuits look.

by Anonymousreply 70March 14, 2020 5:03 PM

R30, there is an episode of "What's My Line?" where Bennett Cerf really goes off on the sack dress. It was affront to femininity and womanhood. He also hated that new music rock 'n' roll, so this period in th '50s was like the end of times for him.

by Anonymousreply 71March 14, 2020 5:13 PM

/an affront... the '50s...

by Anonymousreply 72March 14, 2020 5:22 PM

Of the “New Look”, Gabrielle “Coco” Chanel said the following

[quote]Look how ridiculous these women are, wearing clothes by a man who doesn’t know women, never had one, and dreams of being one.

To his face on another occasion, Chanel said

[quote]I adore you, but you dress women like armchairs.

by Anonymousreply 73March 14, 2020 5:42 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 74March 14, 2020 6:02 PM

R26 Those looks from 1997 look very contemporary today

by Anonymousreply 75March 14, 2020 6:05 PM

R65 And then Givenchy took that signature elegance and simplicity into the mod 60's...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 76March 14, 2020 6:06 PM

Not everyone was enamored with the New Look, and many women saw it as a regression in fashion. The 1920s woman freed herself of the constrictive corsets and wore drop waist dresses and boyish silhouettes so that they had freedom of movement. The 1940s woman wore slacks and simple a line skirts and dresses, and mix and match separates for versatility and ease of comfort while out in the work force. Christian Dior put these women back in shape-shifting corsets and girdles and constrictive foundation garments, and big full skirts worn with petticoats and crinolines.

by Anonymousreply 77March 14, 2020 6:57 PM

[quote]He also hated that new music rock 'n' roll, so this period in th '50s was like the end of times for him.

So many people of his generation were appalled by rock and roll music in the 50s. Elvis and Little Richard were like the end of civilization. So quaint and funny today, to think how riled up they got over such tame stuff compared to what was to come in the 60s and 70s.

by Anonymousreply 78March 14, 2020 7:09 PM

R77 Some fashion historians think that the "New Look" was a delayed reaction to Gone With The Wind. People went crazy for the film and it played in many places throughout the war. It is thought that similar fashions would have came out in the early 1940s, if the war hadn't intervened. When you look at the "New Look" dresses they really look like a modern adaptation of the silhouettes of the 1850s/60s.

by Anonymousreply 79March 14, 2020 8:01 PM

"When you look at the "New Look" dresses they really look like a modern adaptation of the silhouettes of the 1850s/60s. "

I suppose that's true.

Can I also theorize that the low-waisted short loose shift dresses of the 1960s were a modern adaptation of the low-waisted short loose shift dresses of the 1920s? Because the fashion of the 1920s and the mid-1960s were all about freeing women from the heavy constricting fashions that had come before. I mean a lot of 1950s looks were beautiful, but they must have been miserable to wear.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 80March 14, 2020 9:00 PM

R80 Yes. And, there was a popular culture revival of the Roaring 20's in the 1960s, starting with tv shows such as The Untouchables, The Roaring 20's, and The Lawless Years and movies such as The Carpetbaggers, Elmer Gantry, Funny Girl, Robin and the 7 Hoods, Splendor in the Grass, and Thoroughly Modern Millie.

by Anonymousreply 81March 15, 2020 12:18 AM

The 1920s were huge in the 1960s

by Anonymousreply 82March 15, 2020 12:28 AM

r80's dresses would still be fashionable today.

by Anonymousreply 83March 15, 2020 12:32 AM

R63

That is because few women of 1950's knew something all Victorian, Edwardian ladies were taught; when wearing tight corsets and fitted bodices one did not turn one's head/shift body. If you watch actresses who have studied these things they know the drill; one turns entire body around to see what is behind them, not shift head and shoulders. This is because doing the latter would (and likely did) cause a lady's body to shift out of her stays and bodice. Once this happened the only remedy was to get undressed, remove corset and dress all over again. Considering it took ages to get into a corset and dressed women did everything possible to avoid any mishaps.

There is a scene in film "Her Majesty Mrs. Brown" where Queen Victoria is walking down a corridor with three of her ladies training behind. When HM stops, her ladies perform this little dance (rather like a three point turn) where they make a semi arch, ending up proper number of paces behind HM and each other (senior lady in front of two junior in precedence).

Point of that dance was simple; the ladies couldn't simply reverse as it would risk tripping over their skirts. Nor could they turn their heads or upper bodies for risk of shifting out of their corsets. Thus in order to look behind themselves and go backwards again they make that three point turn ballet.

These restrictions applied really throughout history whenever ladies fashions called for tight boning. You can add to this no bending (from waist), reaching, or really anything else besides remaining upright and encased in stays.

Leads for small children were invented because not only their mothers but likely any female caring for them were encased in stays, thus couldn't bend to go after/control a toddler (who can move at speed of light when motivated, *LOL*). So as with dogs children were put into leads, something you still can find sold for various other reasons today.

As mentioned previously original Playboy bunny hostess costume was really a corset (with steel boning), and same restrictions applied. The famous "Bunny Dip" was a way for those waitresses to do their job (which entailed bending) without coming out of their stays. If that happened a Bunny had to leave the floor, return to dressing room (or maybe restroom) and adjust herself. Bunny costume had a major zipper up back, but was still a PITA to get into so once strapped in most bunnies did all they could not to have to it again for duration of shift.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 15, 2020 1:28 AM

[quote]Not everyone was enamored with the New Look, and many women saw it as a regression in fashion.

By the late 40s women were finally driving cars in a big way. The introduction of the automatic transmission helped that along.

Who wanted to wear huge skirts with yards of cloth and crinolines while while getting in an out of a car?

WWII liberated women. Many were finally out of the home working (for the War effort).

I can imagine how many women saw the New Look as a regression.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85March 15, 2020 1:48 AM

Not only did the 1940s woman wear slacks and pantsuits and comfortable low block heeled shoes, she also wore military inspired fashions with shoulder pads and slim fitting a-line and pencil skirts that gave her a "masculine" silhouette. When the men returned from the war, they wanted their women back in the kitchen and put her in constrictive clothing to put her in place.

The 1950s was a socially regressive period. It was back to family values, conservative politics, June Cleaver-type wives, and voluptuous starlets in tight clothes, whispering and cooing like little girls. When I read about the old Hollywood gals like Bette Davis and Joan Crawford and Barbara Stanwyck speaking disdainfully about the new crop of busty blonde starlets, I think of how they must've hated how all their hard won battles for womanhood were reduced to Jayne Mansfield whispercooing and falling out of her dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86March 15, 2020 2:21 AM

And of course 1950s America got Mamie Eisenhower for their First Lady, the frumpiest frump who ever frumped.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87March 15, 2020 2:39 AM

The slim-waisted, broad-shouldered look epitomized by Joan Crawford may have been a little too intimidating to the returning GI.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88March 15, 2020 2:46 AM

That's a stunning look R88.

by Anonymousreply 89March 15, 2020 2:49 AM

R87 Please, Mamie was a vision a beauty, after Bess Truman and Eleanor Roosevelt.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 90March 15, 2020 2:51 AM

Timeless...simply timeless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91March 15, 2020 3:27 AM

I wonder if model for female sketched in right of R25’s photo, may have been a pre-films Lucille Ball?

by Anonymousreply 92March 15, 2020 3:33 AM

R92 She was a model, but I think she worked exclusively for Hattie Carnegie and Chesterfield Cigarettes. I don't know if Hattie Carnegie made foundation garments.

by Anonymousreply 93March 15, 2020 3:42 AM

Bonnie Cashin's Classical Greek-inspired gown from LAURA (1944) could be worn today.

It helps if you had a body like Gene Tierney.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 94March 15, 2020 4:30 AM

Another goldmine of a thread. Bravo to all of you! I loved late 50s and early 60s fashion. This thread open my eyes to the sacrifices in comfort that woman endured for these looks.

by Anonymousreply 95March 15, 2020 5:29 AM

Early '50s young ladies fashions. Young, pretty and feminine. Dainty hand gloves required.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96March 15, 2020 6:18 AM

The 1950s: A return to the feminine

"Family was now the center of everything and being a lovely housewife was a dream for most of the women. Of course, television and mass-media encouraged this happy and perfect lifestyle as the world needed to procreate after the war."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97March 15, 2020 6:24 AM

Those big pleated skirts were so ugly.

by Anonymousreply 98March 15, 2020 6:52 AM

R98, they're ugly if the fabric is ugly or if they're cheap and poorly made, but they're pretty and feminine when they fit properly. They do look best on women with a slim but womanly figure. The don't work well on women with flat chests or thick waists.

by Anonymousreply 99March 15, 2020 9:13 AM

The sack dress never really took off, perhaps because it was ugly as sin and unnatural looking. It did, however, lay the groundwork for dresses that skimmed over the waist. In general, waists were de-emphasized as the '60s opened - suit jackets became loose and boxy (classic "Jackie look" or Chanel-type suits) and dresses moved toward a shaped, rather than tightly fitted, look. This led to the shift, which became ubiquitous by the mid-60s on women of all ages.

Another thing that's notable about the style of that 1960 plus or minus era is how simple the clothes are, that is, how little decoration and adornment many outfits contained. A women might wear a simple sweater, plain straight skirt and plain pumps and still be well dressed. Her only adornment, other than the quality and cut of the fabric would be a little jewelry. Or a dress might be a single, slightly shaped column of solid-color fabric. It was a very restrained, classic, elegant look.

by Anonymousreply 100March 15, 2020 9:24 AM

This is such an eldergay thread.

by Anonymousreply 101March 15, 2020 9:43 AM

R93

it was Hattie Carnegie who made Lucille Ball the carrot top red head she was famous for until death by ordering her to dye her brown hair.

Hattie Carnegie didn't make foundation garments IIRC.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 102March 15, 2020 9:54 AM

More:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103March 15, 2020 9:54 AM

R68

Places like Orchard Corset still exist and sell corsets that are newly made. But girdles of old aren't really made anymore, much less finding shops that deal in heavy duty foundation wear.

There was a place on UES (on Third Avenue) that was an old school "foundation store", but it closed years ago.

Yes, you have Spanx and other shapewear garments,but demand for old fashioned girdles died off years ago. Aside from a few special occasions and or women who have a particular need no one else bothers with them; well there is the whole fetish/transvestite market but we're not going there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 104March 15, 2020 10:05 AM

More on finding girdles today.

Below linked article being said there is a huge business on eBay, thrift stores, garage sales, various online sites and other retail in vintage girdles. Highly sought after (for reasons unknown to me) are those vintage Playtex latex/rubber girdles that come in a tube.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 105March 15, 2020 10:07 AM

[quote] well there is the whole fetish/transvestite market but we're not going there.

We don't have to go there. This is Data Lounge. We already live there.

by Anonymousreply 106March 15, 2020 1:07 PM

I love the full circle skirts of that era. Also, even the pants suits were stunning (Jane Russell in the gym during one of the most homoerotic scenes from the 50s in Gentleman Prefer Blondes, FLAWLESS! Especially with the cape/coat)

by Anonymousreply 107March 15, 2020 1:52 PM

Girdles were popular up until the mid 1970s. I remember going to church once and one of the women said to my mother, "I can't wait to get home and get this girdle off. "

by Anonymousreply 108March 15, 2020 1:58 PM

My grandmothers wore girdles until they departed this earth well into the 1980's. Some women simply clung to what they knew, and that was that.

by Anonymousreply 109March 15, 2020 2:18 PM

I have to admit, I liked the hats that ladies wore in the 50s. Some of my favorite I Love Lucy episodes revolved around her getting a hat. A hat just really finished off the look.

by Anonymousreply 110March 15, 2020 2:22 PM

Mad Men's Betty Draper represented the era well. Her outfits at the beginning of the show (early 60s) had a lot of carryover from the 50s. Her undergarments were also shown early on and accurate.

by Anonymousreply 111March 15, 2020 2:44 PM

My mother still has several girdles in her dresser from the 50s-60s ! I had no idea there was a market for them. I remember well into the 60s her wearing them to "smooth out the lines of her dress" . As an aside ,I have 2 nieces in their 20s,one beautiful,one cute . The beautiful one has had very little luck with men,the cute one has had her choice . My point ? The cute one has never worn anything but feminine pretty dresses and the beautiful one rarely puts one on . Men LIKE girls in feminine dresses , and were I a young woman in this day and age thats all Id don .

by Anonymousreply 112March 15, 2020 3:15 PM

If I were a young woman in this day and age, I'd go with a kimono that I couldn't keep tied shut.

by Anonymousreply 113March 15, 2020 3:29 PM

r111 I also thought Trudy, Pete Campbell's wife, displayed the tug of war between the 60s fashion on 50s sensibilities. She was about 6-10 years younger than Betty so she was young enough to wear the classic 60s look, but grew up in the last part of the generation that would have idolized the 50s housewife lifestyle. At the beginning of the show, she basically copied Betty's housewife blueprint, with a slight urban flare. Then they move to the suburbs and she goes into full housewife drab with prints and flowy skirts. Her sharp style recedes as she immerses herself into the suburban mold. By the end of the show, the family is literally jetting off to a job in the midwest. Trudy brings back her youthful style.

Trudy in the early 60s (yes I know this is about 50s fashion).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 114March 15, 2020 3:33 PM

Trudy, by the end of the 60s. Someone like Betty would never lean this much into the 60s fashion, since she was a 50s girl at her core.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115March 15, 2020 3:34 PM

R111. Yes, Betty's early '60s looks were '50s surburban housewife. Full, pleated skirts, floral or feminine patterns, belted waist, etc. Very pretty, but very idealized WASP.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 116March 15, 2020 4:02 PM

I like a pantsuit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 117March 15, 2020 4:11 PM

I'm assuming these fashions are more middle class. I like the polka dot number.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118March 15, 2020 4:42 PM

Slenderizing fashions for stout women

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119March 15, 2020 4:52 PM

Glamorous housecoats

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120March 15, 2020 4:54 PM

There was also an Asian influence at the time. There is one outfit that Lucy wears on I Love Lucy, I think in the early seasons, that is a shirt that is very tailored. If anyone can find a picture of it, please post it. My mother called it the Communist look.

by Anonymousreply 121March 15, 2020 5:01 PM

Why does the one lady in R119's picture look kind of pretty but the other two look like old spinsters?

by Anonymousreply 122March 15, 2020 6:18 PM

The woman in gray at R119 looks like a fat Celeste Holm.

I think the other two are the same woman, but with a slight change of hairstyle.

Regardless, they're all plump and unquestionably over 40, so they are technically old spinsters who will never know the love of a good man and who have betrayed their Maker's plan for the gentler sex.

by Anonymousreply 123March 15, 2020 6:29 PM

Hong Kong

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124March 15, 2020 6:35 PM

How quaint that the women in R119 were considered large. Compare them to the Lane Bryant models of today.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125March 15, 2020 6:38 PM

Silly R123! These women got that way from bearing children to the men they enticed with their kittenish ways. These ladies know how to work a pole. And have the child bearing hips to prove it.

by Anonymousreply 126March 15, 2020 6:40 PM

Hong Kong fashion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127March 15, 2020 6:41 PM

Mother says that young women who don't wear proper hosiery may as well walk around with mattresses on their back, like prostitutes.

I'm going to share this thread with her after supper tonight, when I give her her pills and her "evening wine."

I think Mother will approve.

by Anonymousreply 128March 15, 2020 6:45 PM

It looks good on women with feminine bodies living in warm climate.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129March 15, 2020 6:48 PM

1950's style of a traditional Chinese dress

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 130March 15, 2020 6:54 PM

A bunch of fags telling us what we should be wearing.

by Anonymousreply 131March 15, 2020 6:54 PM

[R80] Very spot on. Although in my household in the '60s, those shift dresses were considered 'too mature' for me to wear as a 13 year old.

by Anonymousreply 132March 15, 2020 6:57 PM

More "Oriental" styles from probably the late 50's. Hemlines are still below the knee.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133March 15, 2020 6:59 PM

Flattering beachwear

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134March 15, 2020 7:11 PM

[quote]A bunch of fags telling us what we should be wearing.

Welcome to the history of Western civilization, madam.

And... you're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 135March 15, 2020 7:13 PM

Practical street style

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136March 15, 2020 7:17 PM

Things I realized: yesterday I went right from this thread to purchasing a vintage pattern. Good job everyone!!!

by Anonymousreply 137March 15, 2020 7:21 PM

R125, Lane Bryant also had a Chubbettes line for chubby young girls, but the illustrations look nothing like the fat girls I see today coming out of Taco Bell.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 138March 15, 2020 7:42 PM

They couldn't come up with a more flattering name than Chubbettes?

by Anonymousreply 139March 15, 2020 7:45 PM

R139, it was the '50s. People didn't care who they were hurting with their words.

by Anonymousreply 140March 15, 2020 7:51 PM

Chubbettes? That was Mother's nickname for the "ethnic" sorority back at SMU when she was head of the Kappa Kappa Gammas.

Good times.

by Anonymousreply 141March 15, 2020 7:51 PM

Men's street style

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142March 15, 2020 8:00 PM

r138 those girls are pretty svelte by today's standards. The "chubettes" of today are land whales.

by Anonymousreply 143March 15, 2020 8:03 PM

R121, Lucy wore an Asian inspired housecoat in the Orson Welles episode.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 144March 15, 2020 8:04 PM

I'd wear the top look. But the others seem a little high-waisted.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145March 15, 2020 8:05 PM

R142, Hot. And probably dead.

by Anonymousreply 146March 15, 2020 8:06 PM

If any of those guys are still alive, they'd be in their 80s.

by Anonymousreply 147March 15, 2020 8:07 PM

Rebel without a cause

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 148March 15, 2020 8:12 PM

R136 Like the costumes from Grease, a 70's lookback at 50's street style.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149March 15, 2020 8:18 PM

Women today aren’t going to be bothered with foundation garments. They want to let their ample breasts and various rolls of fat hang out everywhere, molesting everyone’s eyesight. They won’t even wear bras or wash their stinking pussies anymore.

by Anonymousreply 150March 15, 2020 8:19 PM

R145, In the early '50s, men wore their slacks higher up, along the natural waistline. This was a holdover from the 1940s. Towards the end of the decade, slacks were worn lower, aligning with their navel, and the pants legs became narrower.

On I Love Lucy, Fred, being the older gent, wore his slacks way up high, the way he wore them the precious decade. Ricky, being youthful and hipper wore his lower, but still high compared to today's fashions.

by Anonymousreply 151March 15, 2020 8:30 PM

I used to know how to sew a little. Darts are easy to put into a garment. Knit (stretch) fabrics are hard to sew; you need a good sewing machine.

[quote] Most dress styles for women are sleeveless and the trend has continued for many seasons. The fashion industry loves sleeveless looks because they're cheaper to produce.

I'm convinced that the past two decades of strapless wedding dresses are due to it being easier and cheaper to produce (no shoulders & armholes to tailor).

On an episode of Project Runway, the contestants were challenged to sew a men's garment (usual challenges involved women's garments). Results were shocking and tragic: really bad armhole/sleeve transitions. It was like an acid test for the contestants.

by Anonymousreply 152March 15, 2020 8:36 PM

Cristóbal Balenciaga

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 153March 15, 2020 8:37 PM

Problem with those fucking high-waisted 1950's pleated pants - no VPL.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 154March 15, 2020 8:38 PM

Piguet

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 155March 15, 2020 9:15 PM

Wedding

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 156March 15, 2020 9:31 PM

Dior - Spring 1957

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157March 15, 2020 9:52 PM

If the 1950s fashion reflected the new social conservatism by copying from the hoop-skirt era of the 1860s, and the 1960s shift dresses and low waists celebrated social freedom by copying from the flapper era...

2020 fashion's new trend seems to be reflecting the New Puritanism, and taking its cue from Sister Wives.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 158March 15, 2020 10:00 PM

Teens

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 159March 15, 2020 10:08 PM

This thread reminds me of a comment of a DLer who, years ago, posted on a thread that was started to complain about Streisand's costumes in "Funny Girl". The thread went on for at least two hundred posts.

He wrote:

"Just now, while reading and posting on this thread, my neighbor banged on the wall and shouted, "Hey, can you turn down the gay?"

by Anonymousreply 160March 15, 2020 10:09 PM

Varsity jacket

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161March 15, 2020 10:37 PM

Elegant suits

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162March 15, 2020 10:56 PM

Can someone help? Was Marilyn Monroe always wearing a wig? Her hair just look unnaturally full with never a dark root in sight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163March 15, 2020 11:21 PM

I've heard that in the 1950s girls used to wear circle pins like this one, and that they were called "virgin pins" and were meant to tell the world that the wearer was a virgin and wasn't going to put out.

I wonder what the straight boys thought of those things?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 164March 15, 2020 11:24 PM

R163: Marilyn probably wore wigs in most of her films, as they help sustain continuity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 165March 15, 2020 11:41 PM

Audrey Hepburn in a maternity dress and wearing Dr. Scholls clogs

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166March 15, 2020 11:48 PM

R164 The story is that unlike the "purity rings" of today, the "virgin pin" was given to the girl by their boyfriend to signify they were dating. If the girl wore it on the left, it told everyone they hadn't done it, the right signified they had. I guess if she wore it in the middle they just heavy petted.

by Anonymousreply 167March 15, 2020 11:51 PM

R163 , I think that's a wig on Marilyn Monroe, at least in the photo you posted. The suspect areas are the patch of frizzy-looking hair in the middle of her forehead. Also, the area on her left temple (right side of photo) looks like an area of a wig that wasn't glued down well.

This looks like a wig as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 168March 15, 2020 11:51 PM

Ponytails

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 169March 15, 2020 11:56 PM

R130, isn’t that a cheongsam? The cheongsam is one of the prettiest and most feminine types of dresses, and in its knee-length form is possibly the most chic single garment ever designed.

The generally terrific movie In the Mood for Love (2000), set in Hong Kong in 1962, has lots of examples, as does the now-canceled movie The World of Suzie Wong (1960). I couldn't find a good example on line, so here's a modern cheongsam.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 170March 16, 2020 12:08 AM

The clothing stores at the local Asian mall sell cheongsams, apparently they're as classic a style as ever existed.

As for 1950s fashion, frocks like this were called "wiggle dresses", and Marilyn's shoes were referred to as "fuck me pumps", although not in print. So much for the prudery of the age.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 171March 16, 2020 12:12 AM

Ankle-strap shoes were "fuck me pumps." Joan Crawford popularized them in the 40s.

Not to hijack the thread, but Joan Crawford had a tremendous influence on fashion in the 40s. Diana Vreeland even said so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172March 16, 2020 1:06 AM

[quote]Joan Crawford had a tremendous influence on fashion in the 40s

Not so much in the '50s though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 173March 16, 2020 1:59 AM

Is Joan wearing one of those "virgin pins" in that photo at R173?

by Anonymousreply 174March 16, 2020 2:01 AM

College students

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 175March 16, 2020 5:37 AM

As mentioned upthread, Coco Chanel so detested Dior's New Look that she came out of retirement, relaunched the House of Chanel, and introduced the boxy Chanel suit. It was simple, understated, and gave women freedom of movement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176March 16, 2020 5:38 AM

College fashion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 177March 16, 2020 5:44 AM

Dior gowns were elaborate confections with lots of pleating and draping and yards of wasted fabric.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 178March 16, 2020 5:45 AM

^^ Oops. Top left is a Dior.

by Anonymousreply 179March 16, 2020 5:52 AM

r175 gosh that style was so damn ugly.

by Anonymousreply 180March 16, 2020 5:53 AM

Another Dior.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 181March 16, 2020 5:53 AM

r178 & r176 I thought I saw Coco wearing similar gowns. Did she just hate the big hooped dresses?

by Anonymousreply 182March 16, 2020 5:55 AM

r181 she does all that work to purchase nice dress and pairs it with black shoes?

by Anonymousreply 183March 16, 2020 5:55 AM

Dior - 1950

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 184March 16, 2020 5:59 AM

I love them both, but my fancy butt prefers Dior. I love the excess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185March 16, 2020 6:03 AM

1950s Chanel. Big full skirt, simple top, PEARLS. And Suzy Parker.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 186March 16, 2020 6:04 AM

The US had it's own Dior: Charles James

One of fashion's greatest photographs. By Cecil Beaton.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187March 16, 2020 6:05 AM

Dior

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 188March 16, 2020 6:06 AM

r186 I'd pass on that dominatrix look.

by Anonymousreply 189March 16, 2020 6:06 AM

R187, so much excess fabric.

by Anonymousreply 190March 16, 2020 6:07 AM

Those Dior gowns are just too much, cumbersome and clunky looking.

by Anonymousreply 191March 16, 2020 6:10 AM

Jean Dessès gown, 1950

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192March 16, 2020 6:11 AM

Princess Margaret in Dior

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193March 16, 2020 6:30 AM

The wasted, excessive, over-the-top yards of fabric were absolutely deliberate, a reaction to the rationing or unavailability of fabric during the WWII years. The lean silouettes of the 1940s were largely expedient, forced on women and designers, because they had to make things out of minimal amounts of whatever fabric was available.

The New Look was a celebration of the new abundance.

by Anonymousreply 194March 16, 2020 6:50 AM

Balmain

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195March 16, 2020 7:10 AM

Another Balmain. Exquisite.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 196March 16, 2020 7:14 AM

R163: The photo you posted is a makeup and/or hair test for The Misfits. They shot the film on location in the Nevada desert. Because of the heat (over 100°F), Marilyn wore a wig in every scene. They couldn't do much with her real hair in that kind of weather.

From what I've read, she didn't use wigs in her other films. Her hair was very high maintenance. She had it bleached every three weeks, which is why we never see her roots in any photos. She also had her naturally curly and frizzy hair relaxed with chemical straighteners. Afterwards, it was usually pin curled all over or smoothed out with the ends curled under. She had her regular team of hairdressers to maintain her hairstyle for film and public appearances. On her off days, she hardly looked polished and skipped wearing makeup.

By the early '60s, she was bleaching to an even lighter shade she called "pillowcase white". Her hair was already heavily damaged from all those years of bleaching and straightening. One observer described the texture as cotton candy.

You can easily see the damage in the beach scene from Some Like It Hot (below). Compare that fried hair to the wig she wore in your photo, which, although not convincing, looks smooth and healthy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 197March 16, 2020 7:40 AM

Her hair must have felt like straw

by Anonymousreply 198March 16, 2020 7:46 AM

I don't doubt it, R198.

I should add something more, R163. According to the source who said Marilyn bleached every 3 weeks, in between bleaching she used baby powder to lighten any roots that would show up. Another source says something different that I think is more likely: she had her hairstylist touch up her roots every 10 days with a Q-tip.

She went to the same lengths as Jean Harlow. No one saw her roots, but whatever the method, her hair was going to suffer.

by Anonymousreply 199March 16, 2020 8:19 AM

Jackie Kennedy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200March 16, 2020 8:26 AM

Somebody's prom, 1953. Quite a lot of variations in skirt length, and none of the extreme wasp waists you see on the actresses and models of the period.

Just think, a lot of those high school kids would be married in a couple of years, and breeding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201March 16, 2020 8:54 AM

YES, Charles James (not to be confused with that obnoxious attention ho, James Charles).

Thank you for mentioning him, R187. Mr James was an innovator. His evening gowns were original, influenced by his background in architectural design.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 202March 16, 2020 8:57 AM

R73

Hope M. Dior shot back at Channel that at least he wasn't fucking Nazis and denouncing Jews to have them sent off to horror camps during German occupation of France.

by Anonymousreply 203March 16, 2020 9:37 AM

@R73

Darn auto correction.... make that Chanel, not "Channel".

Sorry for typo, now carry on.

by Anonymousreply 204March 16, 2020 9:39 AM

Here's a Charles James gown!

IMHO they tried to capture the luxurious glamour of James's 1950s gowns for the movie "Phantom Thread", but failed. Everything they put on the screen was exquisitely made, but missed whatever it was that made the real man's designs so classic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 205March 16, 2020 9:49 AM

agree, r205 - same dress , different lighting/angle

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 206March 16, 2020 11:01 AM

R201 = A Cavalcade of DLer's Mothers

by Anonymousreply 207March 16, 2020 11:50 AM

Agreed, R207. Only one of them is smiling.

by Anonymousreply 208March 16, 2020 12:46 PM

R174

Highly doubt it; early as her high school days Joan Crawford was known as an easy lay. One of the many things Bette Davis ragged JC about was her (allegedly) being a slut who slept her way into films, and by extension becoming a movie star.

by Anonymousreply 209March 16, 2020 1:14 PM

R112

Quick search on eBay turns up a lively market for vintage girdles and "shapewear".

By the way a 40 C cup do be a big girl

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 210March 16, 2020 1:22 PM

Another one:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 211March 16, 2020 1:23 PM

Adds shaping, not inches!

Bernadette Peters never needed help with the latter. Well not past puberty anyway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 212March 16, 2020 1:31 PM

r201 those basic looking girls in the front snagged some hot dates. Woman have it so easy in the dating department, just don't be fat.

by Anonymousreply 213March 16, 2020 1:37 PM

[quote] By the way a 40 C cup do be a big girl

Possibly. More likely a drag queen.

by Anonymousreply 214March 16, 2020 1:45 PM

Ooops. I meant to attach this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 215March 16, 2020 1:46 PM

R213

Those dates could have been anyone from their cousins to their sister's boyfriend's younger brother. *LOL*

You also have to remember unlike today these dance dates came often with nothing else attached. That is a guy usually wasn't expecting sex or anything, and maybe wasn't even that into a girl he escorted. But did it for a variety of reasons, other than outright physical attraction or even just lust.

That being said, yes will give you it was easier for a not so hot girl back then to land a man. But then again not every guy was Troy Donahue or Rock Hudson either, and they knew it.

by Anonymousreply 216March 16, 2020 1:47 PM

Have some more.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 217March 16, 2020 1:49 PM

For the love of god, I've barely finished breakfast and morning coffee. Put it away....

by Anonymousreply 218March 16, 2020 2:01 PM

PHANTOM THREAD was ridiculous, if only for depicting Charles James as heterosexual (and incredibly dull). It's too bad, because he was an interesting figure and there's a great movie/TV series waiting to be made about him.

by Anonymousreply 219March 16, 2020 3:50 PM

R198

Original Alberto Vo5 was created to deal with damaged, fried and abused hair of actresses (film and television) whose hair was punished even more by set lighting that was hot and bright. MM wasn't the only nor first bottle blonde in Hollywood, and even natural redheads and brunettes had hair that was often damaged. First again by the hot/bright lights, but also because it was fairly common for actresses and actors to have their hair dyed for various roles.

Needless to say all this damage predated modern conditioners. Worse shampoos tended to be harsh as well (Prell is still used today to strip oil from very greasy/oily hair), and best beauty industry had to offer were creme rinses which really didn't do much.

Enter Alberto Vo5. That greasy pomade smoothed down fried hair making it more manageable and looking less like straw. It didn't really change condition of hair nor repair damage, but at least things did look a bit better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 220March 17, 2020 1:01 AM

I'm shocked that they didn't just wear a wig and call it a day. But woman today are also damaging their hair with all the extensions, weave, and coloring.

by Anonymousreply 221March 17, 2020 1:05 AM

Some actresses then and now wear hair when filming, but that can be terribly uncomfortable under hot studio/set lighting. If set/studio is air conditioned (and few if any were back in day), that would be one thing. Otherwise you sweated bullets.

Watch online videos of many AA performers (especially females) performing live in a studio or whatever, they often are sweating up a storm. AA women usually had no choice to wear wigs because their own natural hair just couldn't cope with damage caused by hot/bright lights. This and what would need to be done to get the desired straight hair look.

I like to watch old television shows like Mannix, Cannon, etc... and you can clearly tell most of the actresses are wearing wigs.

by Anonymousreply 222March 17, 2020 1:33 AM

I wonder if Vera Wang got her inspiration from Christian Dior for her 2009 wedding collection. The dresses were simply magical.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223March 17, 2020 2:05 AM

Dior bridal gown

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 224March 17, 2020 2:11 AM

The skirt of this Dior gown looks like tiered wedding veils.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 225March 17, 2020 2:15 AM

Jacqueline Bouvier and her sister, Lee, at a Debutante Ball (1951)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226March 17, 2020 2:35 AM

Jacqueline Kennedy's wedding dress

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227March 17, 2020 2:46 AM

R227 Made by the African-American fashion designer and seamstress Ann Lowe, who didn't receive credit for it during her lifetime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 228March 17, 2020 2:55 AM

"Society's best kept secret..."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 229March 17, 2020 3:10 AM

[quote]"I love my clothes and I'm particular about who wears them," Lowe once told Ebony. "I am not interested in sewing for... social climbers. I do not cater to Mary and Sue. I sew for the families of the Social Register."

She was clearly a Datalounger

by Anonymousreply 230March 17, 2020 3:12 AM

Glamorous film actresses Paraluman, Susan Roces, Gloria Romero, and Amalia Fuentes wear beautiful "terno" gowns, modernized versions of the "traje de mestiza" dress.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 231March 17, 2020 3:27 AM

R201: Most likely a lot of those prom girls would have gotten knocked up that night, if they weren't already "running late).

R90: Mamie with her saggy tits, billowy shirtwaists and ugly bangs, made it easy to idolize Jackie and her chic modern look. OTOH, Eleanor Roosevelt often made best dressed lists, but her blocky big boned figure wasn't that flattering to clothes. Bess Truman, love her, because she had no pretense at all and hated the limelight. You know she would have flattened Mamie in a cage match.

by Anonymousreply 232March 17, 2020 3:30 AM

There have been very few truly fashionable First Ladies in the US, at least since the 1900s: Jackie Kennedy, , Nancy Reagan (regardless of what you might think of her style) and of course, Michelle Obama. They all loved clothes and understood dressing for the public eye.

Jackie remains a fashion icon.

Laura Bush was an attractive woman, but she never cared much about her clothes. Nor did Hillary, Barbara Bush, Pat Nixon, or most of the others.

by Anonymousreply 233March 17, 2020 3:45 AM

Betty Ford had been a model. She wasn't a style setter, though. Rosalynn Carter liked having the nice clothes.

by Anonymousreply 234March 17, 2020 3:53 AM

Fashionable First Lady

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 235March 17, 2020 3:55 AM

R233 Regardless of how one might feel about Mamie, you would need to include her on the list of fashionable First Ladies. Her clothes were all on trend in the 1950s, and she was the person who popularized one of the most iconic accessories of the fifties, the charm bracelet.

by Anonymousreply 236March 17, 2020 4:01 AM

Mamie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237March 17, 2020 4:03 AM

Mamie Eisenhower's inauguration gown is probably the worst of all time. And of course it was in her favorite color, Pepto-Bismol pink.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 238March 17, 2020 4:17 AM

[quote]Mamie Eisenhower's inauguration gown is probably the worst of all time. And of course it was in her favorite color, Pepto-Bismol pink.

Don't laugh, Mamie's gown was the most influential inauguration gown of all time.

Her love of the color and that gown kicked off the 1950s rage for pink.

After Jackie, it's Mamie Eisenhower who actually had the most influence on popular taste.

by Anonymousreply 239March 17, 2020 4:57 AM

Dior - 1950

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 240March 17, 2020 5:00 AM

Pretty in polka dots.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 241March 17, 2020 5:26 AM

Joe Kennedy made it clear from start that marriage between JFK and Jacqueline Bouvier was going to be his show, ran his way, period. As such JB was deprived pretty much what every young girl of her class dreamed of; planning her own wedding. She was reduced to basically being almost a bystander as Joe Kennedy called all or most of the shots regarding the wedding.

JB did not like her wedding dress, nor did she choose it IIRC; Joe Kennedy did, and that was that.

Ann Lowe did tons of work for not only Jackie's mother but other women of her class. All across USA there were various ethnic women (Italian, AA, Jewish, etc....) who were talented dressmakers, some extremely so who turned out near or exact Paris couture creations, but for fraction of the price.

From about the 1940's through well into the 1960's was era of "dressmaker suit". These dressmaker shops catered to women of say middle class up to well off to extremely wealthy. Some women used these American dressmakers to augment their clothing allowance, others relied almost exclusivity upon women like Anne Lowe to dress them in fashion, but within their budget.

Then and even still today there are so called fashion "designers" who cannot do more than sketch; others make patterns, cut, sew, tailor, etc... It is these/those women who look at sketches, a picture or whatever and do the pattern making. As such women like Anne Lowe who could design, but also knew how to make a pattern for a dress, suit or whatever by looking at a picture or sketch were in high demand.

Entire world of fashion knockoffs revolves around persons with such talents. This one reason why historically there was (and still is) so much secrecy before a designer or fashion house shows a collection. Someone with a good memory, sketch pad, or camera can provide image to proper talent and can have knockoffs rolling out on racks within a very short period of time. IIRC that dog of a wedding dress Diana Spencer wore was copied and hit racks not long after her wedding day.

Women of Jackie Bouvier's class took terrible advantage of Anne Lowe and others like her; especially if they were minority women or men. They knew work was worth far more than what was paid, but those women often wouldn't budge on a penny more. Many often took their time paying bills, but kept on placing orders. These dressmakers had very little leverage; they needed the references that came from Rich Bitches. More to the point if just one or two started bad mouthing them it could cost these women (or men) their entire business as Madame and her friends took their business elsewhere.

by Anonymousreply 242March 17, 2020 5:28 AM

Lovely dresses to wear at a wedding

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243March 17, 2020 5:56 AM

The chest area of Jackie Kennedy's wedding dress looks collapsed. Doesn't fit her well. Makes her look flat-chested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 244March 17, 2020 5:59 AM

Italy (1955)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245March 17, 2020 6:34 AM

"However, its designer, Ann Lowe, never received the credit for it in her lifetime. When asked who made the dress Jackie simply responded ”a colored dressmaker”

"when Kennedy was asked who was responsible for her beautiful dress, she said it was made by a "colored woman dressmaker." The outlet also reports that Lowe was only mentioned by name in a Washington Post article at the time, which said "… the dress was designed by a Negro, Ann Lowe."

That is just how those high society ladies thought of Ann Lowe, yet the woman kissed their lily white behinds.

R244

Jackie Kennedy's wedding dress looked better from other angles/pictures.

My guess is that the bodice was designed to remain snug/fitted around the bosom, but undisturbed by off shoulder neckline, but padded at bust (built in foundation?), that didn't always look good at certain angles.

Quite honestly can see why JB didn't like that dog of a dress, it looks like a bit of upholstered furniture.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 246March 17, 2020 7:41 AM

Grace Kelly at her civil wedding

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 247March 17, 2020 8:23 AM

Another angle of Grace Kelly's civil wedding dress

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 248March 17, 2020 8:30 AM

Jackie's wedding dress is awful. It looks as if it was patterned after a chenille bedspread.

by Anonymousreply 249March 17, 2020 12:19 PM

Id take Jackie's over that old lady dress Grace is wearing in the civil ceremony. Grace's public dress is so much better than Jackie's (who wasn't a celeb at the time).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 250March 17, 2020 1:42 PM

Oh I just read Kelly's wedding dress was designed by Helen Rose, the head costume designer at MGM, no wonder it was picture perfect - and I like the the civil ceremony outfit just fine, it's meant to be modest and understated

by Anonymousreply 251March 17, 2020 2:08 PM

Grace Kelly's is my favorite celebrity wedding dress. I like hers more than Kate Middleton's, who supposedly based her dress on Kelly's. Also, these church weddings are religious sacraments, so I like how Grace Kelly's dress is modest but still attractive. (No, I'm not a religious person.)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 252March 17, 2020 2:11 PM

r252, I always sort of felt the neckline didn't look right on Kate's dress, sort of cheap, almost like they'd run out of fabric! Still lovely, of course.

by Anonymousreply 253March 17, 2020 2:27 PM

If nothing else, I love the fact that Kate's dress inspired some brides to wear sleeves again.

by Anonymousreply 254March 17, 2020 2:35 PM

I'm not a Kate fan, and don't want to derail this thread, but that dress was amazing. She knocked it out of the park. Grace's dress feels a bit more regal with the high collar.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 255March 17, 2020 2:36 PM

Hate's dress unfortunately uses the wrong lace. The entire look of that bodice and sleeves would have been improved with more delicately detailed lace. The pattern selected is just too big and cumbersome for such a boney stickperson.

by Anonymousreply 256March 17, 2020 3:19 PM

I never liked either Grace's or Kate's wedding gowns, too matronly and fussy!

I rather like this one that came up on a random search, such a simple bodice made fabulous by an extravagantly massive skirt! And I even like the veil a bit, I don't like those twee little fifties hat as a general thing, but they do make a nice foundation for a wedding veil. And pearls. Women should go back to wearing pearls in the daytime.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 257March 17, 2020 3:53 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 258March 17, 2020 3:57 PM

Well, it seems that hideous bridesmaids dresses were a thing, even 70 years ago!

And some of the bridesmaids knew it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259March 17, 2020 4:00 PM

Well, it seems that hideous bridesmaids dresses were a thing, even 70 years ago!

And some of the bridesmaids knew it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 260March 17, 2020 4:00 PM

Grace Kelly in "High Society"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 261March 18, 2020 2:07 AM

The Queen of England and US First Lady Mamie Eisenhower, White House, Washington, D.C., 1957.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 262March 18, 2020 2:20 AM

The Queen had some big ol' tittays!

by Anonymousreply 263March 18, 2020 2:22 AM

The queen's didn't sag like that rabbit-faced wife of Ike's.

by Anonymousreply 264March 18, 2020 2:35 AM

The Queen in a Norman Hartnell outfit. She was also wearing the designer's gown in R262.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 265March 18, 2020 2:38 AM

His clothes were beautiful That hat is not.

by Anonymousreply 266March 18, 2020 2:40 AM

R263 And a strong sex drive. Her father had to tell Prince Philip to cool it with his descriptions of her prowess in the sack and how he was worn out as a result.

by Anonymousreply 267March 18, 2020 2:43 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 268March 18, 2020 2:49 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 269March 18, 2020 2:54 AM

So, Norman had a hobby, where's the harm in that.

The Queen is wearing way too much fabric in R265's pic. It looks like someone sewed a bedsheet into a dress.

by Anonymousreply 270March 18, 2020 2:56 AM

Balenciaga wedding gown, 1952

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 271March 18, 2020 3:00 AM

Lovely Suzy Parker in Dior.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 272March 18, 2020 3:03 AM

The Queen and her Prince

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273March 18, 2020 3:08 AM

Suzy in James Galanos

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 274March 18, 2020 3:11 AM

Suzy in Norman Norell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 275March 18, 2020 3:13 AM

Suzy in Norman Norell

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 276March 18, 2020 3:13 AM

[quote]Norman was a bit of an odd duck. He liked to dress up as "Miss Polly" and be whipped and then "violated forcefully" by his business manager.

British men are famous for their kinks.

by Anonymousreply 277March 18, 2020 3:19 AM

Suzy Parker had an intelligent face.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278March 18, 2020 3:32 AM

"An increasing number of men have chosen the beautification of womankind as their career."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279March 18, 2020 3:34 AM

1951 - Christian Dior ball gown

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 280March 18, 2020 4:31 AM

1951 - Dior

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 281March 18, 2020 4:36 AM

Sunny Harnett in Lanvin-Castillo.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 282March 18, 2020 5:10 AM

Dior - 1958

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283March 18, 2020 5:25 AM

One reason why socialites like Mercedes Bass, Nan Kempner, and others including the Duchess of Windsor kept themselves rail thin was to be able to fit into couture runway samples. After a dress/outfit was no longer needed for fashion shoots or whatever many were offered to good customers of a particular house at a discount. Thing is you had to fit into the thing; and since the model it was fitted upon and wore it was likely rail thin.....

Also for fashion shoots or even shows you'd be surprised at how many models are held together by safety and other pins. Same model dress or outfit was fitted upon doesn't travel with garment, so if whoever is chosen for shoot or show is smaller in certain areas things are pulled in; and pinned to fit.

Speaking of Nan Kempner, many have this image of her as some sort of rich bitch clothes horse; she wasn't. In fact Ms. Kempner likely had forgotten more about fashion later in her life than many ever knew.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 284March 18, 2020 6:07 AM

Does Suzy Parker's grandson still post here?

He did some years ago, and was appreciative that someone still remembered grandma's glory days.

by Anonymousreply 285March 18, 2020 6:09 AM

Ms. Lynn Wyatt shopping coutre (Chanel for a start) in 1980's.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 286March 18, 2020 6:09 AM

BBC did a great series called "The Secret World of Haute Couture"

You can find all six bits on YT, but am only going to link to first, rest are easily seen from there.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 287March 18, 2020 6:19 AM

Women in the public eye can be expensively, lavishly dressed in custom-made clothing, but that doesn't necessarily make them chic, fashionable, or iconic. (Melania, hon: have someone walk you through that some day.)

I'm thinking of both the Queen and Mamie Eisenhower. Both may have been appropriately attired for any occasion, even notably so in her day (the Queen wore ice-blue! Mamie wore pink!) but neither of them will be remembered as style influencers the way Jackie was and will continue to be.

Personally, I like the Queen's style now: it's completely her own, and it's fun to see this tiny older woman in her crazy hats and fruity colors. Never was and never will be a fan of the Mamie.

by Anonymousreply 288March 18, 2020 5:33 PM

The Queen puts the "monarch" in monochromatic...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289March 18, 2020 8:46 PM

"Personally, I like the Queen's style now: it's completely her own, and it's fun to see this tiny older woman in her crazy hats and fruity colors. "

Some other Datalounger once said "The queen has always dressed like an old lady. Now that she actually is an old lady, it suits her.".

And that is totally correct. QEII is totally rockin' the little old lady clothes!

by Anonymousreply 290March 18, 2020 9:37 PM

The queen's wacky hats are infinitely better than Mamie's ugly pink dresses. Mamie was a trend setter to the extent that she popularized one of the most instantly recognizable but not admirably trends of the 50s---pink stuff.

by Anonymousreply 291March 18, 2020 10:46 PM

Lots of celebrities and couture here, which is great, but what were ordinary well-dressed women wearing in America?

Saks Fifth Avenue, 1959:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 292March 18, 2020 11:11 PM

Bonwit Teller 1957:

(Probably for the grander of the bourgeoisie. The price in the ad translates to $2,256 in current dollars.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 293March 18, 2020 11:16 PM

Shame QE2 didn’t have better clothes as a young woman.

by Anonymousreply 294March 18, 2020 11:32 PM

1957: Kay Thompson says "Think Pink!"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295March 18, 2020 11:39 PM

"I Love Lucy" fashion show...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296March 19, 2020 12:22 AM

OMG, R292: that ad copy is going to become my new gay meditation mantra.

Repeat after me:

SOPHIE SETS SILK MARQUISETTE ASTIR IN A RUSH OF RUFFLES AND DEEP DRAPERY.

by Anonymousreply 297March 19, 2020 2:22 AM

R296. I’m surprised Forest Tucker’s wife didn’t walk in the fashion show like Lucy. Forest had a horse cock.

by Anonymousreply 298March 19, 2020 3:24 AM

Tell me about it, R298! Why do you think I even bothered asking Mrs. Tucker to model for me?

by Anonymousreply 299March 19, 2020 3:27 AM

[quote]Marilyn Johnson (aka Mrs. Forrest Tucker) made her final of 25 screen appearances with this episode. Her husband is probably best remembered as Sergeant O'Rourke on the classic TV sitcom “F Troop” (1965). Johnson died in 1960 at the young age of 37. She wears “Sonata,” a ballgown in a color Loper calls ‘pink mink.’ The dress has Chantilly lace re-embroidered with sequins.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 300March 19, 2020 3:32 AM

I love Grace Kelly's wedding dress in the film, "High Society".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 301March 19, 2020 3:34 AM

Mrs. William Holden was a rather butch item, wasn't she?

[quote]Brenda Marshall (aka Mrs. William Holden) was born in the Philippines as Ardis Ankerson. Her husband was the show’s first celebrity guest star in “Hollywood at Last” (S4;E16). Marshall wears “Heathcliff,” a beige street suit of cashmere wool with taffeta. The jacket is lined in brown silk to match the blouse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302March 19, 2020 3:35 AM

R302, She was an actress, who starred opposite Errol Flynn in The Sea Hawk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 303March 19, 2020 3:42 AM

Forrest Tucker's VPL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 304March 19, 2020 3:51 AM

1953 ... Jack and Jackie Kennedy - HyannisPort, MA

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 305March 19, 2020 6:57 AM

Jackie Kennedy's Cape Cod Style

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 306March 19, 2020 7:06 AM

John and Jackie Kennedy's wedding in 1953

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 307March 19, 2020 7:22 AM

I hate, hate, hate, the low waist gowns. The unnaturally long torso is just tragic. I assume that look fell out of styler later in the 50s.

R305 was Jackie pre-maturely graying?

by Anonymousreply 308March 19, 2020 2:37 PM

Always like this one even if Rosie was a bit zaftig for the times. Beautiful.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 309March 19, 2020 4:39 PM

Despite the hideous, restrictive undergarments, 50s fashion is actually easier and more flattering to a normal-sized, mature woman with breasts, hips, butt. (Was Rosemary Clooney actually considered fat in the 1950s? Later on, sure, but she's hardly obese in that photo.)

Fashions in the 60s are fun, but they're unforgiving to larger women, or those with curves. Curvy gals look like they're wearing a box in those outfits.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 310March 19, 2020 10:30 PM

R310, the ideal woman of the 1960s was quite curvy, "fat" by the standards of today's fashion industry.

And "fat" by the standards of the fashion industry of the 1960s, where speed-thin models and Twiggy were the thing. The fashion industry was designing for thin women, when the women in the real world aspired to fill out.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 311March 19, 2020 11:41 PM

Dovima in Madame Grès

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 312March 20, 2020 5:46 AM

Dovima in red

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 313March 20, 2020 5:53 AM

Jean Patchett in Jean Dessès

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314March 20, 2020 5:55 AM

Jean Patchett

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315March 20, 2020 6:01 AM

Those '50s models sure knew how to use their elbows.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 316March 20, 2020 1:39 PM

That's a gorgeous photo, r313. When I see a photo of Dovima, it's usually the elephant photo.

by Anonymousreply 317March 20, 2020 5:20 PM

Let's have some more Dovima! Not to derail the thread, but to get us started, a quick selfie from Mr Richard Avedon, with Diana Vreeland while she was editor of Harper's Bazaar

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 318March 20, 2020 5:37 PM

I wonder what the above photo was for - anyway I love this dress loose fitted, flattering, seemingly laid back, very elegant - easy to wear? Or does Dovima just make it look that way?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319March 20, 2020 5:45 PM

It must be the magic of Dovima, R319.

That dress looks like a pain in the ass to wear. It's got to be falling off her shoulders constantly.

by Anonymousreply 320March 20, 2020 5:56 PM

Dovima, Suzy, and Jean modeling Edith Small originals.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 321March 20, 2020 5:57 PM

Dovima, Suzy, and Jean in Swansdown.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 322March 20, 2020 6:01 PM

Dovima and Sunny Harnett by Avedon

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323March 20, 2020 6:06 PM

Dovima and Sunny

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 324March 20, 2020 6:08 PM

The 1960s had twol trends: breasts and curves and thin and flat chested.

The 1950s bombshell figure carried over into the early 60s but by the decade's end it was the thin figure that was fashionable.

by Anonymousreply 325March 20, 2020 6:08 PM

The world's oldest living supermodel, Carmen Dell -Orefice: images from the 40's and 50's...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 326March 20, 2020 6:34 PM

Besides her clothes and figure and face, I realize that Grace Kelly is iconic because she didn't have the horrible shirt curls and bangs popular in the 60s. Her hair wasn't terrible off from the styles in the late 80 to early 80s, and 90s bobs. More woman should have worn her style than the crap popular in the 50s.

But these dresses are simply gorgeous. Copied so many times. Peak 50s style.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 327March 20, 2020 7:15 PM

I agree, R327

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 328March 20, 2020 10:42 PM

Carmen Dell'Orefice and Dovima for Helene Curtis Spray Net.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 329March 20, 2020 10:58 PM

R136 Those are pretty timeless looks! Would look current in any decade, including now.

by Anonymousreply 330March 20, 2020 11:36 PM

Dovima was in the movie "Funny Face", as the model who looked like a swan and who spoke like a longshoreman. And who read comic books. She was surprisingly funny should have done more acting, but unlike Suzy Parker she didn't really have the potential to be a movie star. Parker was a decent actress, and beautiful but approachable and warm. Dovima's beauty was a bit otherworldly, she was someone you'd cast as Queen of the Fairies and not the lovelorn secretary.

Vanity Fair had a long article about her, back when Vanity Fair was a thing. Her story is about what you'd expect - top of her field, aging, husbands, fuckups, disappearance from the public eye. She spent her later years working as a restaurant hostess.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331March 21, 2020 12:24 AM

R331 Found the VF article, a relatively short catch-up piece, as it were...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 332March 21, 2020 12:41 AM

Dovima, Suzy Parker, and Sunny Harnett were the three main models in the "Think Pink" musical sequence in "Funny Face."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 333March 21, 2020 12:51 AM

They had BIZAZZ!

by Anonymousreply 334March 21, 2020 12:57 AM

Vogue model, Carmen Dell'Orefice, in 1947

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 335March 21, 2020 1:14 AM

Carmen Dell'Orefice, Vogue, 1946 Photo by Irving Penn

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 336March 21, 2020 1:21 AM

R332, thanks for the VF article. Rather sad story. Fashion models used to have such short careers, and were often preyed upon by their managers and the men in their lives.

Carmen is remarkable. She was still working, at least until recently. Sadly, she reportedly lost bundles of money to Madoff--I hope she recovered some of that. She's a remarkable looking older woman.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 337March 21, 2020 1:24 AM

R337 she is much better looking than Elon Musk's model mother.

by Anonymousreply 338March 21, 2020 1:29 AM

A sixteen-year-old Carmen Dell'Orefice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 339March 21, 2020 1:31 AM

Carmen Dell'Orefice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 340March 21, 2020 1:55 AM

Carmen D'O wasn't all that when she was young. She got more striking with age.

by Anonymousreply 341March 21, 2020 1:56 AM

Carmen Dell'Orefice in Vogue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342March 21, 2020 2:11 AM

A young Carmen Dell'Orefice

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 343March 21, 2020 2:21 AM

Vogue March 1954 - photographed by Cecil Beaton

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344March 21, 2020 2:34 AM

Hats

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 345March 21, 2020 2:46 AM

What a legend.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346March 21, 2020 5:15 AM

More Carmen...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 347March 21, 2020 5:24 AM

r328 Goddess!

by Anonymousreply 348March 21, 2020 8:26 AM

Irving Penn for Vogue

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 349March 21, 2020 10:01 AM

A 1950 fashion photo by Gordon Parks, New York

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 350March 21, 2020 10:13 AM

Gordon Parks - Jackie Stoloff Wearing Paris Fashions, Paris, France

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 351March 21, 2020 10:18 AM

A photo by Gordon Parks

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 352March 21, 2020 10:26 AM

r352 That is a delightful rug she's wearing!

by Anonymousreply 353March 21, 2020 10:27 AM

An outfit by Jacques Fath

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 354March 21, 2020 10:39 AM

'Dovima, Bettina and Dorian Leigh model haute couture by the unsung hero of 1950s fashion Jacques Fath'

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355March 21, 2020 10:51 AM

The picture of Dovima matches a postcard I have of hers, now I know who the designer was - Jacques Fath. I'd heard he was one of the overlooked greats.

Here's the postcard:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356March 21, 2020 10:55 AM

1951 - Jacques Fath

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 357March 21, 2020 11:04 AM

An amazing dress by Jacques Fath

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 358March 21, 2020 11:09 AM

1953 Jacques Fath

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 359March 21, 2020 11:19 AM

Jacques Fath, Self-Taught Fashion Designer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 360March 21, 2020 11:25 AM

r360 I followed your caption, thank you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 361March 21, 2020 11:36 AM

Ivy Nicholson in intricately sculpted evening gown by Jacques Griffe, photo by Willy Maywald, Paris, 1952

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 362March 21, 2020 12:00 PM

Unmentionables

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 363March 21, 2020 12:13 PM

Except for the evening and ballgowns, I see lots of "inspiration" from Fath in Carolyn Bessette Kennedy's favorite designer Yohji Yamamoto's creations.

by Anonymousreply 364March 21, 2020 2:46 PM

Barbie in her iconic "Solo In The Spotlight" gown, 1959.

Swoon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 365March 21, 2020 5:11 PM

Better link for Barbie...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 366March 21, 2020 5:12 PM

... with her mike stand.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367March 21, 2020 5:13 PM

Simple, charming cotton dresses for summer. 1960, I think.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 368March 21, 2020 9:48 PM

Barbie missed a trick by not painting that mike. Would have tied the whole ensemble together.

by Anonymousreply 369March 21, 2020 11:44 PM

Cristóbal Balenciaga

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 370March 22, 2020 2:49 AM

JFK had some hot assed groomsmen

by Anonymousreply 371March 25, 2020 4:59 PM

Betsy Pickering wearing Nina Ricci 1959

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372March 26, 2020 2:06 AM

The Poodle Skirt may have been the single most idiotic and unattractive fashion fad of the 20th century.

The rolled stockings of the 1920s and the sack dresses of the 1990s are sophisticated and elegant by comparison!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373March 26, 2020 2:13 AM

r372 Thank you! I love Nina Ricci, the best for making a woman feel feminine and chic when she feels anything but, to this day I think of it as a magical label

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374March 26, 2020 3:56 AM

R373 The poodle skirt, wasn't high fashion. It was a teenage fad.

by Anonymousreply 375March 26, 2020 3:58 AM

Nina Ricci, 1957-58

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 376March 26, 2020 3:58 AM

Nina Ricci,1956

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 377March 26, 2020 4:00 AM

"Rose-Marie in a short full-skirted dress with shawl-draped bodice fastened by a large rose just under the décolleté, by Crahay for Nina Ricci, Winter 1959, photo by Philippe Pottier."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 378March 26, 2020 4:03 AM

Nina Ricci, 1959

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 379March 26, 2020 4:04 AM

Ivy Nicholson wearing Nina Ricci,1955

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 380March 26, 2020 4:05 AM

more NR

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 381March 26, 2020 4:07 AM

Fiona Campbell-Walter in crèpe afternoon dress by Nina Ricci, photo by Richard Dormer, 1952

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 382March 26, 2020 4:08 AM

I found a great flickr album, roughly in chronological order -

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 383March 26, 2020 4:15 AM

1955 Nina Ricci wedding dress

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384March 26, 2020 4:27 AM

Spring/Summer fashion

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385March 26, 2020 4:44 AM

Thank you, R385, those are the first Nina Ricci fashions that don't look like they'd be physically painful to wear.

by Anonymousreply 386March 26, 2020 4:58 AM

R382 That is quite something.

by Anonymousreply 387March 26, 2020 5:01 AM

Photo by Nina Leen

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388March 26, 2020 5:12 AM

Polka Dot Bikini

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 389March 26, 2020 5:30 AM

Dress at R382 look simple, but bet getting into it was not. Likely series of small zipper, concealed hooks and eyes, buttons, etc.. Oh and you know a girdle or some other equally formidable foundation were was required underneath.

by Anonymousreply 390March 26, 2020 5:35 AM

A truly terrifying Mamie Eisenhower mannequin in an authentic Mamie gown, which I rather like. Classic 50s silhouette.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 391March 26, 2020 5:36 AM

Gay shorts

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 392March 26, 2020 6:06 AM

Hermes, 1953. Were sleeves always shorter on these roomy swing coats, and ladies gloves were longer?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393March 26, 2020 4:58 PM

ah yes, longer well fitted ladies gloves should make a comeback

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394March 26, 2020 5:01 PM

R394 After the current crisis, they might. I'm surprised Dr. Brix hasn't been wearing them.

by Anonymousreply 395March 26, 2020 7:45 PM

Sorry, I meant Dr. Birx.

by Anonymousreply 396March 26, 2020 7:47 PM

North by Northwest (1959)

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 397March 27, 2020 2:54 AM

Dior 1953

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 398March 28, 2020 3:09 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!