Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Fuck the World Health Organization for enabling the spread of Coronavirus

I am not a Trump fan, but I (in retrospect) find the second sentence below from this February 4 article astounding. If only we had all closed our borders to China.

"The Trump administration’s quarantine and travel ban in response to the Wuhan coronavirus could undercut international efforts to fight the outbreak by antagonizing Chinese leaders, as well as stigmatizing people of Asian descent, according to a growing chorus of public health experts and lawmakers.

The World Health Organization’s top official on Tuesday repeated concern that moves that interfere with transportation and trade could harm efforts to address the crisis"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43March 29, 2020 8:00 PM

I am not a Trump fan but = please believe the bullshit I’m about to spew on you

by Anonymousreply 1March 12, 2020 11:12 PM

It’s right up there with “I’m not a racist, but”

by Anonymousreply 2March 12, 2020 11:13 PM

Fucking hell did the WHO really write this?!!!??????

by Anonymousreply 3March 12, 2020 11:13 PM

OP here, R3. That's from Politico.

by Anonymousreply 4March 12, 2020 11:14 PM

Wealthy WHITE visitors to those places brought the disease back into their communities. Not random Asian Americans.

by Anonymousreply 5March 12, 2020 11:15 PM

Members of the EU are screaming about Trump not consulting with them on the travel ban. Are they completely insane? In fact if you are going to do a lockdown or travel ban if it's going to be effective it has to go into effect immediately, you can't give people a chance to scatter before it's put in place. It kind of defeats the purpose.

by Anonymousreply 6March 12, 2020 11:15 PM

How did COVID make it to the States, OP?

Was our patient X a Chinese citizen who was visiting the US or was it an American citizen who traveled back from China?

by Anonymousreply 7March 12, 2020 11:16 PM

Whoever wrote it is a fucking idiot.

by Anonymousreply 8March 12, 2020 11:16 PM

R6, why would European people scatter and get on a plane to the States immediately? They have a much better healthcare system in most cases. What would be the point?

by Anonymousreply 9March 12, 2020 11:18 PM

I don't know, R8. Remember, WHO praised China for its response to coronavirus.

In other words, WHO praised China for cracking down on travel but accused the west of being bad for doing it.

Also, R7, I don't know about that. But the first person to person transmission in the US was of someone back from China to her Illinois husband.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10March 12, 2020 11:19 PM

R6 they are saying he failed to ask their permission? Are they listening to themselves?

Fuck I've had it up to here with the fucking self important EU mandarins, and I didn't even vote for Brexit.

by Anonymousreply 11March 12, 2020 11:19 PM

It was the guy in china who ate a bat.

by Anonymousreply 12March 12, 2020 11:19 PM

Go back to the troll farm.

by Anonymousreply 13March 12, 2020 11:20 PM

R11, the article is about China travel bans - not Europe.

Though, I think in Europe, they are instituting cross-country bans too.

by Anonymousreply 14March 12, 2020 11:20 PM

So for how long was the WHO advising against travel bans and calling them racist? Or are they still taking that ludicrous position now?

by Anonymousreply 15March 12, 2020 11:23 PM

R13 is a member of WHO. I wish they'd stay off of DL.

by Anonymousreply 16March 12, 2020 11:27 PM

R13, I'm not a troll (OP here). I just could not believe the dumb-assery of the WHO in this article. And I don't blame the person who wrote it at all.

If WHO = "public health institutions", we are fucked.

And I guess we are.

by Anonymousreply 17March 12, 2020 11:28 PM

OP ignore troll R13.

by Anonymousreply 18March 12, 2020 11:30 PM

Well as of 3 days ago, a whole bunch of health experts were advising against border closures

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 19March 12, 2020 11:30 PM

China already antagonizes us. And what the fuck does any of this have do with Asian Americans? Interesting they lump the Chinese with all Asians. Stupidity knows no bounds.

by Anonymousreply 20March 12, 2020 11:31 PM

More from the January 30 Politico article:

"World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said Tuesday that widespread travel bans and restrictions weren’t needed to stop the outbreak and could "have the effect of increasing fear and stigma, with little public health benefit."

by Anonymousreply 21March 12, 2020 11:34 PM

Instead of criticizing the administration on things they can do better they focus on shit like this.

by Anonymousreply 22March 12, 2020 11:36 PM

[quote]In fact if you are going to do a lockdown or travel ban if it's going to be effective it has to go into effect immediately

Uh, R6, "immediately" in this case was a month or more ago, not today, and prompt testing along with quarantines would have been a more effective response then than prohibiting travel.

Also, what R9 said.

by Anonymousreply 23March 12, 2020 11:38 PM

Well I'm stuck in a place that has no travel bans at all, and the idiot Boris wants to keep all the schools open, so I'm envious of people whose governments are at least doing something

by Anonymousreply 24March 12, 2020 11:40 PM

R23 The virus is easier to contain if fewer people are infected. How would letting in potentially thousands of new infected not make a difference?

by Anonymousreply 25March 12, 2020 11:42 PM

It's amazing that people will condemn travel restrictions as racist even after multiple reports of people entering this country without proper screening and no self quarantine.

by Anonymousreply 26March 12, 2020 11:48 PM

Exactly, r26. I have no idea how they can still think this way in the face of a disease which has shown itself only to be slowed by restricting movement.

by Anonymousreply 27March 13, 2020 12:43 AM

Why is anyone traveling to shithole China anyway. I hate them ALL.

by Anonymousreply 28March 13, 2020 12:49 AM

Hate them all, r28? I'm reasonably certain that average Chinese people are not themselves exactly huge fans of the Coronavirus, either, r28. Hate their government, definitely, but the normal people are victims of this as much as anyone else is

by Anonymousreply 29March 13, 2020 12:53 AM

Well GOSH!?!

It's almost like the WHO's a corrupt piece of shit, or something. Who woulda thought?! A UN organization, totally fucking corrupt?!

NOOOOO WAAAAAAAAAY!!!!!!!

by Anonymousreply 30March 13, 2020 12:59 AM

'It's amazing that people will condemn travel restrictions as racist even after multiple reports of people entering this country without proper screening and no self quarantine.'

It isn't racist, it's ineffective.

by Anonymousreply 31March 13, 2020 12:59 AM

R31 It won't stop the virus but will make it easier to contain. How is that ineffective?

by Anonymousreply 32March 13, 2020 1:12 AM

So, people not travelling out on the town is recommended, but it's a-ok to travel across borders because restriction of movement is "ineffective", r31?

Either restriction of movement works to stem the tide or it doesn't, r31, and that is as true on a macro level as it is on a micro level. You can't have it both ways.

by Anonymousreply 33March 13, 2020 1:13 AM

So r31 is one of those who treasure open borders over people's actual lives?

Good to know.

by Anonymousreply 34March 13, 2020 1:14 AM

They need to build a wall around China.

by Anonymousreply 35March 13, 2020 1:16 AM

Kumali Nanjiani posted this idiotic tweet

[quote] Trying to fight the coronavirus by limiting travel between Europe and the US is like trying to clean a coffee spill by washing the coffee cup.

I'm sure DL could think of a more apt metaphor.

by Anonymousreply 36March 13, 2020 1:16 AM

Ching chong ching chong ching chong

by Anonymousreply 37March 13, 2020 1:17 AM

The WHO needs to stay out of politics and concentrate solely on health issues. And Taiwan should be allowed to become a member.

by Anonymousreply 38March 13, 2020 1:19 AM

[quote]I am not a Trump fan, but....

I don't read any threads or comments starting with that much maligned sentence.

by Anonymousreply 39March 13, 2020 1:23 AM

Then get off the thread, r39. OP's point, and it's a good point, is about W.H.O.. Stop trying to derail the thread by making it about something it's not.

by Anonymousreply 40March 13, 2020 1:28 AM

February 3: "World Health Organization chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said on Monday there was no need for measures that “unnecessarily interfere with international travel and trade” in trying to halt the spread of a coronavirus that has killed 361 people in China."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41March 15, 2020 2:53 PM

I wasn't equating human life with open borders, dimwit R34

I was saying that any measure taken at that point in time was too late and therefore ineffective. Even your hillbilly Charlottesville version of health care.

by Anonymousreply 42March 29, 2020 7:45 PM

Why are people conflating Chinese citizens with their government? The Chinese government is corrupt and horrible but that doesn't make regular people there at fault, unlike Americans who actually and willingly voted for Trump.

by Anonymousreply 43March 29, 2020 8:00 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!