Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

The Cruise Industry is DEAD to me!

Just watched three cruise ships sail from Pt. Canaveral. RCI, CCL and Disney. Zero passengers in sight. No reggae bands. No loudspeaker announcements. No fat drunk waiving passengers. Decks of empty balconies with curtains drawn. Deadly quite. Ghost ships. The global cruise industry generates $117 billion in total economic contributions, supporting 891,009 full-time jobs with total wages of $38.47 billion. Has Corona Virus killed the Cruise Industry forever?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 137August 1, 2020 10:24 AM

Good riddance to bad floating rubbish.

by Anonymousreply 1March 9, 2020 11:29 PM

OP In the water I'm a very skinny lady .

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 9, 2020 11:31 PM

These 5000 passenger barges are floating petri dishes, they should be dry docked as health hazards.

by Anonymousreply 3March 9, 2020 11:33 PM

Probably going to be a rough few years but the cruise industry has survived world wars and Italian captains so I doubt the odd plague ship will kill it.

by Anonymousreply 4March 9, 2020 11:33 PM

Nah. Everything comes back.

by Anonymousreply 5March 9, 2020 11:34 PM

Will they have to close the Bahamas?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6March 9, 2020 11:35 PM

Cruiseships can be replaced.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7March 9, 2020 11:38 PM

The cruise lines treat their employees like slaves and pay them the jack shit.

Fun fact: Those tip packages cruise ships advertise where they charge you a single flat fee for tips that is good for the entire trip: the employees never see a dime of that. Goes straight to their bottom line. Better to tip the employees directly.

by Anonymousreply 8March 10, 2020 12:03 AM

Cruise ships were always a hot bed of viruses and diseases so it's no surprise they they would be among the hardest hit industries with the coronovirus. I do feel bad for those whose livelihood depends on it.

by Anonymousreply 9March 10, 2020 12:19 AM

No virus scares our DL favorite the cockgobbler from cruising, especially when grandpa can pay!

by Anonymousreply 10March 10, 2020 12:26 AM

Let’s jump in on this cruise. All 70’s bands and their fans. Median age 68.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 10, 2020 12:37 AM

I hope it scares away the white trash and annoying Frau for a few years.

by Anonymousreply 12March 10, 2020 12:39 AM

My mom's going on the Danube cruise this summer. She loves them. She's still going. Not everyone is panicked by a bad cold.

by Anonymousreply 13March 10, 2020 12:45 AM

I'd be more worried by the frequent outbreaks of Norovirus and Rotavirus on cruise ships if I was elderly or had a compromised immune system.

I avoid hotels and rent villa's and apartments on all of my vacations for the same reason.

by Anonymousreply 14March 10, 2020 12:52 AM

At least Venice will get a temporary reprieve from the destruction caused by cruise ships.

by Anonymousreply 15March 10, 2020 12:53 AM

Its devastating that an industry that causes tremendous damage, pollution and death to sea life, taking the mindless masses to places they destroy is getting torpedoed. Bless their hearts!

The emissions maps of China now vs two months ago are insanely staggering.

by Anonymousreply 16March 10, 2020 12:59 AM

My sister caught C. Diff on a cruse ship and almost died.

I think those companies that are mostly or totally reliant on cruses for revenue will go bankrupt. But they’ll reorganize and maintain their ships. After the virus rips through our country and does as much damage as it can, the cruse industry will slowly come back.

One thing to hope for would be, that once you get over it, I mean really get over it, you’re immune to reinfection. I suspect the peop,e who were sickened twice actually hadn’t cleared the virus completely out of their system yet.

by Anonymousreply 17March 10, 2020 1:02 AM

R16 “Thanks for the information, Saffy but don’t you have a date with your friend Titicaca?” “HER NAME IS SARA!”

by Anonymousreply 18March 10, 2020 1:02 AM

Obviously mom has provided generously in her will for R13

by Anonymousreply 19March 10, 2020 1:08 AM

It's Mother's Day in the UK on 22nd of March.

I shall send my very wealthy Mother of a cruise of the far east as a gift.

by Anonymousreply 20March 10, 2020 1:19 AM

No doubt the cruise industry is getting hurt, but ships always look like that leaving port, OP. Hanging out on deck with streamers waving good-bye stopped happening over 30 years ago.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 10, 2020 1:54 AM

R21. For years we've watched the ships leave from the jetty on sail days. There are always passengers on the landward side standing on their balconies waving hoping for a waive back. Those without balconies line the upper open decks. Today no one. Zip. All balconies had closed curtains which indicates unoccupied. Look at OP picture of the Disney ship. Or are you blind as well as stupid? R21

by Anonymousreply 22March 10, 2020 2:07 AM

R22 is 88 years old.

by Anonymousreply 23March 10, 2020 2:15 AM

🎶 In the morning,

In the evening,

Don’t we have the runs? 🎵

by Anonymousreply 24March 10, 2020 2:24 AM

I guess it's really about how long they are impacted.

Can't they insure against these things? A sale in bankruptcy seems like it would help the buyer. Market that you have some process, equipment or certification that your competitors lack.

It's that easy, right?

by Anonymousreply 25March 10, 2020 2:24 AM

How is Isaac the bartender supposed to live without tip money?

by Anonymousreply 26March 10, 2020 2:25 AM

I’m gonna cancel my Princess Cruise of California in a couple days. I’m waiting to see what Princess does. I’m supposed to sail in 19 days. What a mess.

by Anonymousreply 27March 10, 2020 2:26 AM

dont they usually come back on Monday and leave Sundays? Ive been to the port many times and watch them depart from Grills

by Anonymousreply 28March 10, 2020 2:27 AM

On shit! I just thought of that old lady who lives in a cruise ship because it was cheaper than maintaining a home on land. You know the one. She literally lives on a cruise ship for years now. I hope she's okay.

by Anonymousreply 29March 10, 2020 2:36 AM

I've never been very interested in cruises, and this latest outbreak sealed it for me!

by Anonymousreply 30March 10, 2020 2:39 AM

She lives on the Crystal Symphony R29. Their recent and upcoming cruises have been cancelled.

She most likely has gone to live with her kids or grandkids.

by Anonymousreply 31March 10, 2020 2:41 AM

Thanks, R31. Here she is.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32March 10, 2020 2:45 AM

I remember the Norwalk virus. I was not on a cruise ship, but I was in Fort Lauderdale in 2002 and I got sick with all the symptoms. I can only imagine what it must have been like to feel like crap and to be stuck on a cruise ship with a bunch of other sick people. Gross.

by Anonymousreply 33March 10, 2020 2:54 AM

Now the straights will have to go on apps to cruise. See how they like it!!!

by Anonymousreply 34March 10, 2020 3:00 AM

Empty cruise ships...............how POP ART!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35March 10, 2020 3:00 AM

Does anybody care if the entire cruise industry sinks? Nothing but monstrous floating turds.

by Anonymousreply 36March 10, 2020 3:08 AM

I’m loving this news! I just booked a 5 day Western Caribbean cruise out of Galveston for $199 each with open bar! My partner and I will spend $500 total! This is the cheapest vacation we’ve ever taken.

by Anonymousreply 37March 10, 2020 3:12 AM

There’s got to be a morning after

If we can hold on to the night

by Anonymousreply 38March 10, 2020 3:13 AM

How the cheapest vacation can turn out to be the costliest!

Happy sailing with a stealthy murderer!

by Anonymousreply 39March 10, 2020 3:29 AM

Norwegian just took out a $675 million loan.

They probably know they are about to be shut down for a time.

by Anonymousreply 40March 10, 2020 3:34 AM

Stories like this give people who can’t afford a cruise vacation an excuse to loudly declare that THIS is why they won’t ever go on a cruise. No, Karen, you are poor white trash who has never stepped foot out of your trailer park.

by Anonymousreply 41March 10, 2020 3:36 AM

R41 = frau (fat)

by Anonymousreply 42March 10, 2020 3:38 AM

R23 R21 get your facts straight (unlike your queer ass). I was on an RCI cruise last month out of Florida and not only were the decks packed waiving to people, the people on land..condo's and houses were all out waiving back. It's a fun tradition that still continues. Oh..and before you say I'm old...I'm 28 ass hats The cruise industry will be back. Much cleaner and safer than Vegas!

by Anonymousreply 43March 10, 2020 3:40 AM

Not only will the survive without you OP, they'll likely do better.

by Anonymousreply 44March 10, 2020 3:49 AM

If hundreds of millions die from the corona virus and it causes the cruise industry to die it will have been well worth it.

by Anonymousreply 45March 10, 2020 4:11 AM

R23 's IQ is 88.

by Anonymousreply 46March 10, 2020 4:15 AM

R37 Does that include 30 days quarantine in an army barracks and a lung transplant?

by Anonymousreply 47March 10, 2020 4:19 AM

I am enjoying reading the DIsney Cruise threads on the Disboards right now. I usually only visit when there is an imminent hurricane, to read people post asking if they should still go. Or proudly stating they won't let a cat-5 stop their Fantasy trip!

by Anonymousreply 48March 10, 2020 4:19 AM

R37 and your entertainment is FREE!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49March 10, 2020 4:21 AM

Trump will just bail them out and the airlines along with them, just like he did with the fucking farmers to get them to vote for him again.

by Anonymousreply 50March 10, 2020 4:37 AM

Norwegian is the cruise line that wouldn't refund that lady, who saw a while ago that things were bad and wanted to protect her family, her money for the Asian cruise because one of the ports of call Hong Kong was not part of mainland China! I hope the entire company tanks.

by Anonymousreply 51March 10, 2020 4:45 AM

Maybe the industry will go through some kind of renaissance ? Remember when it was super glamorous to take a cruise, black tie at dinner

by Anonymousreply 52March 10, 2020 5:02 AM

[quote] My mom's going on the Danube cruise this summer. She loves them. She's still going. Not everyone is panicked by a bad cold.

I guess she doesn't understand that even if she gets merely a cold from the virus that she could easily pass it on to others who are immuno-compromised and who then may die. Seems kinda selfish.

by Anonymousreply 53March 10, 2020 5:36 AM

I’m worried about the TCM cruise.

by Anonymousreply 54March 10, 2020 7:23 AM

Norwegian needs to rebrand as 'Swiss' and offer euthanasia services for the elderly and sick by way of catching COVID.

by Anonymousreply 55March 10, 2020 9:22 AM

I’m sending my elderly parents on a cruise for their anniversary. Should I be worried?

by Anonymousreply 56March 10, 2020 12:56 PM

R56, your Mom will end up living to 102, and will enjoy spending your inheritance by being alive, so good luck with the cruise plans!

by Anonymousreply 57March 10, 2020 1:30 PM

R53 Mom make take all the right precautions. It's not so much mom getting a cold, its the geezer walking up the gangway ahead of mom. He's taken no precaution thinks his MAGA hat will protect him. He turns out positive for CV and your mom and 3000 of her fellow prisoners are quarantined for weeks. Don't worry about mom, worry about her contaminated cruise mates.

by Anonymousreply 58March 10, 2020 1:34 PM

R54 - who cares? As long as Dave Karger isn't on it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59March 10, 2020 1:42 PM

Come aboard we're expecting you!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 60March 10, 2020 1:43 PM

"Stories like this give people who can’t afford a cruise vacation an excuse to loudly declare that THIS is why they won’t ever go on a cruise"

Oh my. I am afraid that your bar for class is quite low. Really says a lot about you.

I used to do educational software work in impoverished communities. Going on cruises was very big in that demographic. Usually booked around the time that EIC refund checks were issued.

by Anonymousreply 61March 10, 2020 1:59 PM

I cruised once years ago. My take? The ship is nothing more than a giant hotel on water - that's it. Think of one of the Las Vegas hotels on water. Sure, you get the "exotic" ports of call - a few of them, but in the end, absolutely every part of your excursion is designed to shake you down for more and more money. It's a shake down.

by Anonymousreply 62March 10, 2020 2:04 PM

^^^^^

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 63March 10, 2020 2:08 PM

^^^^

The captain laughs, he says,

"You boys want some sex?"

You can squeeze the sails,

You can lick the dicks"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 64March 10, 2020 2:12 PM

It's pretty bad when you have a website detailing about all the outbreaks.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 65March 10, 2020 2:24 PM

i LURVE a good cruise

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66March 10, 2020 2:30 PM

Bahtendah.. another Carona!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67March 10, 2020 2:41 PM

R64 oh my, I want to go on that cruise. Booze, buffets and balconies filled with fuck’n. Where do I sign up? Oh, and can I bring Aaron Schock along as our designated pass around party bottom? His hole is up for a challenge.

by Anonymousreply 68March 10, 2020 3:12 PM

Don’t worry, we’ve got this covered

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 69March 10, 2020 3:17 PM

r43, why do you keep spelling wave as "waive"? It's highly irritating.

by Anonymousreply 70March 10, 2020 3:45 PM

90% of the people who go on cruises are red state Trumpists, including that baby in the window.

by Anonymousreply 71March 10, 2020 3:47 PM

[quote]Trump will just bail them out and the airlines along with them, just like he did with the fucking farmers to get them to vote for him again.

Just like Obama did with General Motors and Chrysler??

by Anonymousreply 72March 10, 2020 4:03 PM

agree!

by Anonymousreply 73March 10, 2020 4:04 PM

[quote]Deadly quite.

Yes, quite. Eh what?

by Anonymousreply 74March 10, 2020 4:06 PM

[quote]Just watched three cruise ships sail from Pt. Canaveral. RCI, CCL and Disney. Zero passengers in sight.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 75March 10, 2020 4:08 PM

This has been a thoroughly entertaining thread. Thanks!

by Anonymousreply 76March 10, 2020 4:11 PM

For some reason many cruise lines today seem like floating Golden Corals with filthy bathrooms and backed up toilets, slot machines, entertainment that wouldn't make it on a 70s variety show and an entire assortment of infectious diseases. And if you're lucky you get a bus and truck Ice Capades.

by Anonymousreply 77March 10, 2020 4:33 PM

R77 which cruises have you been on that were like that?

by Anonymousreply 78March 10, 2020 5:29 PM

I retired to Galveston, Texas for cost of living and it’s downtown architectural charm. It’s also very gay friendly. However, because it’s a cruise port, we get inundated with cruisers before and after departure and return. I’ve notices that the cruisers are either deplorable white trash, or elderly couples. These are primarily 4-5 western Caribbean cruises less than $500 a person. Some white trash consider this the pinnacle of their vacationing lifestyle. It’s quite amusing. I usually go down to Starbucks near the cruise terminal and watch them like zoo animals. Monkeys usually behave better than these ugly, obese, nose-picking, farting white trash that boards these ships.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 79March 10, 2020 5:37 PM

I remember the woman saying the sewage was pouring down the wall into her cabin, I wouldn't know what to do.

by Anonymousreply 80March 10, 2020 5:44 PM

Are yachts still safe?

by Anonymousreply 81March 10, 2020 5:58 PM

Cruising is safer than flying.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 82March 10, 2020 9:06 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 83March 10, 2020 9:11 PM

R83 Your cruise fare of $499.00 pp includes...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 84March 10, 2020 9:56 PM

One can only hope.

by Anonymousreply 85March 10, 2020 9:59 PM

I have never understood ""Cruising" on one of those behemoths they call ships. I do like the transatlantic liners for which the purpose was primarily travel and happened to be pretty special for a time. But the bottom line was to get people where they wanted to go before plane travel took over. And they were faster than modern cruise ship with are really just floating hotel/theme parks. Ick

by Anonymousreply 86March 10, 2020 10:22 PM

which, not "with"

by Anonymousreply 87March 10, 2020 10:31 PM

R29/R31 - she lives on a Crystal ship? Good god. It's absolutely not cheaper than living on land.

Crystal cruises are very high-end and expensive. I looked it up and she spent $164,000 one year to live on that ship.

That's $3200/week - which is actually very cheap for Crystal. Many of those Crystal cruises are $7K to $10k a week. Financially, she would have been better off on a Holland ship, but she left them after they got rid of the hosts that danced with guests.

She's either very wealthy to do this or she's gonna spend every last dime she has and fuck her children.

by Anonymousreply 88March 10, 2020 10:34 PM

One does not cruise. One crosses.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 89March 11, 2020 12:23 AM

I have a feeling that one aspect of this will be the repeal of the Jones Act or at least modifying it to allow cruises/transportation between US ports, on non-US built ships.

by Anonymousreply 90March 11, 2020 12:36 AM

There are worse things than being on a cruise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 91March 11, 2020 12:45 AM

r82, was John F. Kennedy, Jr really on that show "Love Boat"? That is crazy. I never knew that.

by Anonymousreply 92March 11, 2020 12:40 PM

Gotta luv the corptocracy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 93March 11, 2020 2:29 PM

I’m truly shocked Princess hasn’t cancelled my cruise on the 28th yet. My mother and I intend to cancel but we are waiting for them to cancel first. We are supposed to leave from LA. I’m thinking about going to LA for a few days just to redeem my vacation plans but even that’s up in the air. This is really depressing.

by Anonymousreply 94March 11, 2020 2:32 PM

This ship is unsinkable!

The Coronavirus can only survive in cold temperatures, so the Caribbean is a fantastic choice for your next cruise," one talking point reads.

"Scientists and medical professionals have confirmed that the warm weather of the spring will be the end of the Coronavirus," a second says.

Another line instructs that "the Coronavirus cannot live in the amazingly warm and tropical temperatures that your cruise will be sailing to."

by Anonymousreply 95March 11, 2020 2:32 PM

The worker also says NCL seems more worried about its profits than the health and safety of travelers — and some sales staffers now feel pressured to persuade customers not to cancel their trips. Some customers, despite their concerns, have caved and kept their reservations. Many more are canceling cruises, even if it means losing thousands of dollars.

The employee who spoke with New Times says they have not personally used any of the "one-liners" with clients because they feel uncomfortable doing so. They spent most of a recent workday taking calls from customers wanting to cancel.

The worker also says NCL seems more worried about its profits than the health and safety of travelers — and some sales staffers now feel pressured to persuade customers not to cancel their trips. Some customers, despite their concerns, have caved and kept their reservations. Many more are canceling cruises, even if it means losing thousands of dollars.

The employee who spoke with New Times says they have not personally used any of the "one-liners" with clients because they feel uncomfortable doing so. They spent most of a recent workday taking calls from customers wanting to cancel.

We are hardly selling anything," the employee says. "Sales are at serious lows."

by Anonymousreply 96March 11, 2020 2:36 PM

Yes, R92, he was. So was his mother Jackie and sister Caroline (guest starring on separate episodes, of course).

by Anonymousreply 97March 11, 2020 2:43 PM

It has always been dead to me, I can't imagine anything worse than being stuck on a cruise.

by Anonymousreply 98March 11, 2020 3:23 PM

After working on a cruise liner for a year, I would NEVER be a guest on one. I saw food in the galley (Kitchen) being dropped on the filthy floor and put on dinner plates to be served. My coworkers were some of the dirtiest people I have ever met. My roommates (4 guys to a room) were dirty straight boys who never washed their hands and one rarely showered. I had to spray our bathroom down with Clorox every day! Don’t do it!!!

by Anonymousreply 99March 11, 2020 3:39 PM

I'm happy to see the downfall of the cruise industry. They've skirted laws for years when it came to crimes against passengers, safety issues (not tot drop pop) and just generally ripping people off. I dance on their watery grave.

by Anonymousreply 100March 11, 2020 3:51 PM

Just throw the sick passengers out the damn window!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 101March 11, 2020 4:31 PM

Wow how nasty can Norwegian be? Seems like a company of sick corporate fuckers.

For those who have sailed with them and others are they an outstanding line to take a cruise with?

by Anonymousreply 102March 11, 2020 6:13 PM

SCRUB TINA! SCRUB!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103March 12, 2020 12:34 AM

My heart goes out. Who could have possibly foreseen that an industry that appeals almost exclusively to white upper middle class old people with zero effort to appeal to anyone else in decades might be finally undone by a single factor.

by Anonymousreply 104March 12, 2020 12:43 AM

R104 - umm here in Galveston, Texas, cruises are not directed at “white upper-middle class people.” They are $400, 5-day Western Caribbean cruises directed at lower-class white trash, Houston blacks and Latinos, and awful trailer-trash deplorables.

by Anonymousreply 105March 12, 2020 12:52 AM

I've never really wanted to take a cruise, other than a Cunard transatlantic crossing.

by Anonymousreply 106March 12, 2020 12:54 AM

The only cruise that I've ever taken was to Sydney, Australia from the UK (and back), couldn't stand the thought of 30 hour flight(s) . It took about 35 days each way (plus 2 months visiting family in Australia). Only cost about £9,000 ($12,000) return though so cheaper than BA First Class if you have the time.

by Anonymousreply 107March 12, 2020 1:10 AM

It is only a matter of time.............

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 108March 12, 2020 9:25 AM

COO...ROOO....NAAAH!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 109March 12, 2020 9:57 AM

I’ve heard the food is great!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 110March 12, 2020 11:42 AM

Princess halts all cruises for 60 days. Our cruise is finally cancelled.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111March 12, 2020 2:23 PM

Where will the tragic gays spread their pathogens now!?

by Anonymousreply 112March 12, 2020 3:23 PM

The Luv Boat is sunk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 113March 12, 2020 3:43 PM

One cruise not to miss is a cruise down the Nile on a smaller ship. I went on a Nile cruise years ago and it was amazing.

by Anonymousreply 114March 12, 2020 3:46 PM

Thanks for the tip, R114.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 115March 12, 2020 9:59 PM

I loved the Nile Cruise we took several years ago. It was when Egypt was hurting for tourists. Every site was deserted. Hot air balloon at Luxor at dawn was an experience. You do have to be firm with the touts. They tend to swarm.

by Anonymousreply 116March 12, 2020 10:03 PM

Egypt is still hurting for tourists (as are Tunisia and Turkey). It's nothing to do with Coronavirus, it's terrorism and wars (refugees) that fuck them up.

It'll take a lot longer to recover from than a virus pandemic will for Italy.

by Anonymousreply 117March 13, 2020 12:17 AM

They are all throwing in the towel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 118March 14, 2020 2:47 AM

All passenger throw off NCL ship only 22 minutes before sailing. WTF!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 119March 14, 2020 6:10 PM

NCL always was a bottom feeding cruise line in a bottom feeding industry.

by Anonymousreply 120March 14, 2020 6:11 PM

Clearly people who cruise aren't the sharpest tools in the shed.

They should send them all on cruise ships to the middle of the sea and then sink them.

by Anonymousreply 121March 15, 2020 1:10 AM

CDC sinks crujise industry for 100 days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122April 10, 2020 5:35 PM

When to the bankruptcies start?

by Anonymousreply 123April 10, 2020 5:36 PM

Oye!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 124April 10, 2020 5:38 PM

Two of the big three lines will merge by end of year just to survive.

by Anonymousreply 125April 10, 2020 5:39 PM

It should be dead...they exposed people to the virus.

by Anonymousreply 126April 10, 2020 5:40 PM

[quote]It should be dead...they exposed people to the virus.

I guess the NYC subway should be dead too according to that criteria.

by Anonymousreply 127April 10, 2020 5:42 PM

The cost of keeping these giant cruise ships running just for the marooned crew must be exorbitant. Food , fuel. How can the cruise lines keep this up? They are anchoring ships off shore with their crews to save on dockage fees which can run 10k a day. I've got six cruise ships at anchor off my beach.We can hear crews cheering the footie games. That's almost 7000 people floating off shore. I feel sorry for them. They may be in a palace but it's still a prison. I'm sure they would rather be with their families and loved ones.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 128April 10, 2020 5:53 PM

Posted on a previous thread:

Cruise lines won't go away, but I think cruises will get a lot more expensive, with more focus on luxury than packing people into ships like sardines. You'll see big ships reconfigured internally to make outer cabins larger (or share one former outer cabin+balcony among 3-5 inner cabins, themselves probably enlarged).

Long cruises might also require pre-quarrantines of 2-3 days before departure with blood tests & extreme tracking and contact-tracing during those days, with no port stops prior to the ship's "long haul" stretch, and a Jones Act change to permit one-way transportation (so once passengers start doing port calls, they'll never be at sea longer than a day or two & can abort at any time to a chartered flight to the ship's origin or destination if a flare-up emerges & they want to leave early.

I do think the days of cheap cruises are over. They'll strictly be luxury from now on, because they'll have to price cruises to account for more expensive contingencies.

You're going to see intense lobbying to abolish the Jones Act & allow "domestic" cruises with newly American-flagged (but foreign-made) ships with American crews. The American-built requirement is really the main reason why cruise lines went all-foreign, because it's simply impossible to meet anyway. There's no shipyard in America capable of building huge cruise ships in a timely manner... their capacity is booked by the Navy for the next 25 years, and even IF cost were no object, it would taks 7-12 years before the first cruise ship could be ready.

If foreign-built ships were allowed & the requirement dropped that cruises either return to the departure port after visiting a foreign country, or end at a "distant" foreign port, you'd see cruise lines like Royal Caribbean & NCL jump into things like New York-Florida cruises, and LA/SF/Seattle to Hawaii/Mexico/Alaska/Vancouver - .

They'd allow you to cruise NY to Miami, spend a week in Florida, then cruise back to NY on the same ship (after it made a round trip returning & bringing the next batch of passengers). They'd also run a lot of cruises between Florida & Puerto Rico with a day in Havana... possibly, running enough ships along the route to allow Florida-Havana, 2-3 nights in Havana, then either continuing to San Juan on the next ship, or returning to Florida (by ship, or just flying).

The Jones Act is the reason cruises currently have such wacky itineraries & routes, like the 6-hour "port stop" at a rocky island en route to Hawaii (the mandatory "foreign port"), and why they go to such extreme lengths to be useless as a transportation mode.

Regardless, their previous business model is permanently fried. The US can bring back US crews & flagged ships, but only if it abolishes the "American-BUILT" requirement of the Jones Act. Or at least, allowed newly-US-repatriated cruise lines to grandfather in existing ships with a 15-20 year grace period before US-built ships were required.

by Anonymousreply 129April 10, 2020 6:27 PM

Thank you Corona for bringing the climate change to a screeching halt!!!

by Anonymousreply 130April 10, 2020 6:34 PM

I’ve never been on a cruise, but from observing the people who disembark from them, it seems like on the scale of Disney World in terms of class. Is Cunard the one for rich people and Norwegian the one for poors?

by Anonymousreply 131April 10, 2020 7:54 PM

Carnival is bottom of the barrel.

by Anonymousreply 132April 10, 2020 9:02 PM

R131 Mass market mega ships run by Carnival, Princess and Royal Caribbean sell to middle and lower middle class, More then half their passengers are still geezers over 55 yo. Cunard is a bit more pretentious but with a little posh lipstick on their mass market pig. Any way you look at it , it's Vegas afloat . Holiday in a petri dish with 5,000 of your closest friends.

by Anonymousreply 133April 10, 2020 10:09 PM

Carnival owns Princess, Cunard, Holland America, Costa, Seabourn

Norwegian owns Oceania and Regent Seven Seas

Royal Caribbean owns Celebrity and Azamara

Those US-based companies make up the vast majority of cruises that Americans take. Disney is the other major player.

by Anonymousreply 134April 10, 2020 10:35 PM

One of the first ships to resume cruising is having a COVID outbreak.

"The entire ship has now been placed in isolation, and all remaining crew — around 160 people — are being tested for COVID-19. The line also is tracking down 177 passengers who left the ship early Friday to alert them to the outbreak."

I could have told them that would happen, if only they had asked.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135July 31, 2020 11:24 PM

Imagine all the shit, piss, garbage & chlorine those pestilence palaces as dumping into the oceans.

by Anonymousreply 136July 31, 2020 11:50 PM

I love cruising, but one thing I NEVER do is use the swimming pool or jacuzzis. Some of the passengers jump right in on sea days right out of bed, without showering. And parents let their crotchfruit defecate in the water, thinking that because it’s chlorinated it’s ok. I prefer quiet time on my balcony and ordering room service. The industry has been getting away with murder-flags of convenience to avoid taxes and underpay their workers from Third World countries. This also keeps them from being subject to laws and regulations of the ports that they visit. It can be a pleasant experience but at what cost. I love ships, especially the old ocean liners, even some of the modern ships. But the industry itself is run by mercenary and greedy people.

by Anonymousreply 137August 1, 2020 10:24 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!