Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Mart Crowley is dead to us all

'The Boys in the Band' playwright died in a hospital a few days after suffering a heart attack. No online obituary yet, but gossip queen Michael Musto posted it on Facebook.

by Anonymousreply 68May 6, 2020 7:33 PM

DL is blocking links to Facebook. stupid DL.

by Anonymousreply 1March 8, 2020 9:42 PM

Aw, I hope he got his see his show on film, before he passed.

by Anonymousreply 2March 8, 2020 9:45 PM

R2, well it was adapted for film in the 70's already, so I guess he did.

by Anonymousreply 3March 8, 2020 9:59 PM

Musto is tweeting

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 8, 2020 10:05 PM

What did he know about Kirk's rape of Natalie?

by Anonymousreply 5March 8, 2020 10:08 PM

Crowley also was in a gay bar scene in the Netflix film. It was shot at the Monster. A friend of mine worked as a background actor in it back in August.

by Anonymousreply 6March 8, 2020 10:11 PM

Mart posted on DL secretly I am guessing.

by Anonymousreply 7March 8, 2020 10:17 PM

[quote] Mart Crowley

Was he K’s brother?

by Anonymousreply 8March 8, 2020 10:20 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 8, 2020 11:01 PM

Wikipedia still hasn't been updated. Somebody hop to it!

by Anonymousreply 10March 8, 2020 11:05 PM

Making of Boys in the Band. Sorry, is geoblocked in America.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11March 8, 2020 11:17 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12March 8, 2020 11:19 PM

R10 you need a place of death for Wiki, none is mentioned in the obits.

by Anonymousreply 13March 8, 2020 11:26 PM

He lived on East 54th, can we assume he died at a Manhattan hospital?

by Anonymousreply 14March 8, 2020 11:31 PM

We know it must be true, because the Twitter account Liza Minnelli Outlives told us so.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15March 8, 2020 11:31 PM

RIP to a gay brother who made it out of Mississippi.

by Anonymousreply 16March 8, 2020 11:36 PM

Kirk's been dead for weeks. When is Lana Wood going to confirm that he raped her sister?

by Anonymousreply 17March 8, 2020 11:52 PM

I did NOT know that the old 60s Bette Davis pilot that's been shared here a billion times on DL was, in fact, co-written by Mart Crowley.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18March 9, 2020 12:47 AM

Great documentary. I finally figured out how to change my VPN setting to another country so I could watch it. Thanks for posting R11

by Anonymousreply 19March 9, 2020 1:41 AM

"[R2], well it was adapted for film in the 70's already, so I guess he did."

I think #2 means the remake, coming soon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20March 9, 2020 2:07 AM

Sad. RIP, Mart!

by Anonymousreply 21March 9, 2020 4:22 AM

He was besties with Natalie Wood

by Anonymousreply 22March 9, 2020 4:22 AM

What an entrance!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23March 9, 2020 5:59 AM

Who is she? Who was she? Who does she hope to be?

by Anonymousreply 24March 9, 2020 8:00 AM

Turning

by Anonymousreply 25March 9, 2020 8:11 AM

I love that film and have watched it at least 50 times, but I have to confess there is one line I don’t understand.

When Hank tells Emory “And you remind me of a chicken wing“

by Anonymousreply 26March 9, 2020 8:39 AM

His hand on his hip I always thought looked like a chicken wing maybe

by Anonymousreply 27March 9, 2020 9:01 AM

R27 I never thought about that. That makes sense.

by Anonymousreply 28March 9, 2020 9:09 AM

Yeah, hand on the hip = chicken wing, at least that's how I always took it.

I liked Mart. I know he got a lot of guff here on Datalounge for a lot of little things, but he seemed loyal and fun and very witty.

by Anonymousreply 29March 9, 2020 9:13 AM

Wasn't he some sort of devil magician?

Did Ozzy Osbourne write a song about him?

by Anonymousreply 30March 9, 2020 9:26 AM

Did he have Robert Wagner?

by Anonymousreply 31March 9, 2020 9:32 AM

Now you can show me a happy homosexual.

by Anonymousreply 32March 9, 2020 11:52 AM

Did he want to exit before the disaster hits Netflix?

by Anonymousreply 33March 9, 2020 1:02 PM

I'm bringing a comforting Connie Casserole for us when as we sit shiva.

by Anonymousreply 34March 9, 2020 1:42 PM

Well, this bit was prescient:

Emory: Ooh, I'd love to meet him. Or her. I have such a problem with pronouns.

Alan: How many esses are in the word pronoun?

Emory: How'd you like to kiss my ass, that's got two or more essessss in it!

Alan: How'd you like to blow me?

Emory: What's the matter with your wife, she got lockjaw?

by Anonymousreply 35March 9, 2020 2:02 PM

Gay men had to learn to be sassy to survive.

by Anonymousreply 36March 9, 2020 2:08 PM

Boys In The Band came out of the wonderful culture of off-Broadway. I miss that scene very much.

by Anonymousreply 37March 9, 2020 2:30 PM

I’ve seen the movie at least 3 times, but I don’t recall if the dialogue explains the title: The Boys in the Band. I get that it’s a group of boys, but I don’t quite get the Band reference. Is referring to a high school marching band, where a lot of gay boys congregated? Or the band on the Titanic, famously playing as the ship went down? (I have always assumed the latter, which I believe was extended by Randy Shilts with And The Band Played On.)

by Anonymousreply 38March 9, 2020 2:42 PM

Sad news.

by Anonymousreply 39March 9, 2020 3:37 PM

R38 I always thought it was a reference to a line of James Mason's in A Star is Born when, after hearing Judy ding "The Man That Got Away," he says something about her singing when it's just "you and the boys in the band."

by Anonymousreply 40March 9, 2020 3:39 PM

Judy was one of the most talented singers ever. She also had a lot of pain and struggle throughout her life. Despite that, she had a good heart, which is hard to encounter in Hollywood. At a time when gay people were oppressed beyond belief, they identified with her struggles and she theirs.

by Anonymousreply 41March 9, 2020 3:41 PM

as a high school sophomore in tucson, az in April 1968 i read in Time magazine a Boys in the Band theater review and thought what the hell is this about? Later that fall the Burns Mantle 10 Best Plays of 1967-68 came into my public library, with plot condensation and stretches of dialog from Boys in the Band. I'll never forget reading it in my back yard on the lawn.... life was never the same. Never forget the power of a public library before the internet era.

by Anonymousreply 42March 9, 2020 3:53 PM

I wonder how much money he made from "Boys in the Band" over the years.

by Anonymousreply 43March 9, 2020 4:11 PM

I always thought the sequel should have been called One Man Band , not The Men from the Boys. And Michael was the only one still alive in 2008 or whenever, the rest had died from AIDS-related diseases as well as from other natural causes.

by Anonymousreply 44March 9, 2020 8:21 PM

You have to wonder if the success of this play provided the catalyst of the power of pride which led to Stonewall.

The play was very successful in NY and worldwide.

The 1970 movie, not so much.

If you love the play/movie, I highly recommend watching the documentary "Making the Boys".

by Anonymousreply 45March 10, 2020 3:54 PM

The documentary is not very good. First, it looks like shit. Whatever cameras they were using were cheap crap.

Second, they waste so much time interviewing F-list gay "celebrities" (most of whom have disappeared entirely) as to whether or not they know about The Boys in the Band only to reveal that nearly all of them don't. What's the point of that? Who gives a fuck if Carson Kressly knows the play or the film (which I don't believe for a minute), none of them say anything pertinent. It was just a stupid way to get "names" attached to the poster.

Third, the story the filmmaker delves into isn't any deeper than what you'd see in an episode of Biography. I know most of the cast is dead, but Robey has no idea what questions to ask those he did interview.

I went to see it in the theater and had to really stop myself from throwing shit at the screen, I hated it so much. If you really don't have the money to do anything visually interesting, I can forgive that, but research is free.

by Anonymousreply 46March 10, 2020 4:08 PM

All articles say the play had it's debut at Theatre Four. Wasn't the original production at in the Village?

by Anonymousreply 47March 12, 2020 12:08 AM

[quote]All articles say the play had it's debut at Theatre Four. Wasn't the original production at in the Village?

It ran for a few performances at Vandam Playhouse (now called Soho Playhouse). It was so popular that they then moved it to Theatre Four.

by Anonymousreply 48March 12, 2020 12:46 AM

Has anyone ever listened to the cast album? I have it as a pair of mp3s (Act I/Act II) somewhere.

by Anonymousreply 49March 12, 2020 12:51 AM

I wish a manuscript would turn up containing all the secrets and gossip Mart took to the grave with him.

by Anonymousreply 50March 12, 2020 1:22 AM

R49 How does someone misplace mp3? Aren’t in your computer?

by Anonymousreply 51March 12, 2020 1:23 AM

R45 here -

Watched the doc, again. Still like it.

Sadder now, after MC's death.

by Anonymousreply 52March 12, 2020 1:58 AM

i picked up the 2 lp cast album in the .99 cent bin just last year

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 53March 12, 2020 2:04 AM

The dialogue in that recording is better than the screenplay's. Better character development. I have a copy too.

by Anonymousreply 54March 12, 2020 12:45 PM

[quote]The dialogue in that recording is better than the screenplay's. Better character development.

To paraphrase Miss Effie Melody White in Dreamgirls: No one can see them on record.

by Anonymousreply 55March 12, 2020 2:40 PM

How is it the Original Broadway Cast Album when the production never went to Broadway?

by Anonymousreply 56March 12, 2020 11:21 PM

Original Greenwich Village Production is less impressive.

by Anonymousreply 57March 13, 2020 12:43 AM

. Here's the audio recording that was made of the play that opened Off Broadway in 1968. The album cover says Broadway, but it wasn't Broadway.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58March 19, 2020 4:03 AM

Well done R58!

by Anonymousreply 59March 19, 2020 4:17 AM

Matt Crowley bitched me out once - like foaming at the mouth screaming. It was at a party for the late 90’s (early 00’s?) revival that played on Christopher Street. Everyone was having fun & Matt decided he needed the floor to go on about something he felt was wrong with the production - I don’t really even know what. I was in the kitchen chatting up a producer - he was really funny, kinda sexy guy. So I just kept on laughing at the guy’s conversation & Crowley flew into the kitchen & just attacked me for rudeness - for a good 5 minutes. I was amused. I wasn’t a part of the production & I’m not in the arts so didn’t really care. When he was done he went back to the cast & the producer said Crowley’s like that . Slept with the producer that night - he had a perfect looking 7” cock. Not much of a story but there you go.

by Anonymousreply 60March 19, 2020 5:36 AM

Old artists need to hold court. You were lucky not to be bitch-slapped. Glad you got laid, though.

by Anonymousreply 61March 19, 2020 5:40 AM

He's not Matt, you dolt.

by Anonymousreply 62March 19, 2020 5:49 AM

R62 so what. ? Just relaying my adventure.

by Anonymousreply 63March 20, 2020 12:26 PM

I’m disappointed that Mart didn’t leave behind a j’accuse against Kirk Douglas before he croaked. What about justice for Natalie?

by Anonymousreply 64May 6, 2020 6:29 PM

Can someone tell me, because--OK, I'm embarrassed, a LITTLE--what does "turning" mean? After all these years, I still do not know.

by Anonymousreply 65May 6, 2020 6:36 PM

Harold says 'Turning' while observing the gradual stages of Michael's drinking, and its negative effects. He knows the bitterness and resentment which will emerge, and how they're expressed by lashing out viciously.

They know each other's self-hatred all too well. Some sort of tough rapport is though shown by Harold's finally telling Michael he'll call him next day.

by Anonymousreply 66May 6, 2020 6:54 PM

Seems like being a rich and formerly famous person is toxic in old age. I know very few happy formerly famous people.

by Anonymousreply 67May 6, 2020 6:58 PM

There was good, church-attending Michael and evil, self-hating Michael who lashes out ruthlessly, destructively to everyone around him, R65. A Jekyll and Hyde personality. Ever know anyone like that? Harold warns of Michael's transformation brought out with his drinking: "Tuurrning".

by Anonymousreply 68May 6, 2020 7:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!