Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Nina Foch

Most people will remember her only for her role as Milo in "An American in Paris," but she landed an Academy Award nomination a few years later for her understated performance in "Executive Suite". She had a fairly prolific career in film and theater, but despite that it seems like she is mostly forgotten, which is somewhat odd considering she appeared in a number of other classics, such as Kubrick's "Spartacus" and DeMille's "The Ten Commandments." Why did the history books forsake her?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9March 4, 2020 8:26 AM

Was she Spartacus?

by Anonymousreply 1March 4, 2020 3:44 AM

I only know her because I'm a big Madeline Kahn fan and she played Madeline's mother in an unsold (but very funny) sitcom pilot in the '80s.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 2March 4, 2020 3:47 AM

James Lipton, dead to us now, was one of her husbands.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 3March 4, 2020 3:49 AM

She's great in this episode of Naked City. Shirl Conway's even better.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4March 4, 2020 3:53 AM

She was good but not dazzling,

by Anonymousreply 5March 4, 2020 3:53 AM

R3 I assume that's what prompted this thread? I believe she was taught 'acting' -- maybe that's how she and Icky Lipton connected?

RIP Nina. Beautiful name.

by Anonymousreply 6March 4, 2020 3:54 AM

Her role in Spartacus as one of the two bored Roman wives who set the stage for Crassus to kill the friend of Spartacus was just a cameo and the Ten Commandments part just a little higher up the ladder.

And in Executive Suite she really didn't bring much to the movie as the company executive secretary. Many contemporary actresses could have played the part as well. To me Barbara Stanwyck had a more legitimate claim to the supporting actress award from that film.

by Anonymousreply 7March 4, 2020 3:58 AM

She was a great Frannie Halcyon in Tales of the City, also memorable as the mother of Jessica Lange as the mother of all mothers in Hush and as Mrs. Danvers to James Mason's Maxim de Winter in a 1962 TV version of Rebecca.

I love her Columbia film noir stuff.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8March 4, 2020 4:53 AM

She does the DVD commentary for a film noir called Illegal and sounds full of herself.

by Anonymousreply 9March 4, 2020 8:26 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!