Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Coronavirus Freakout 9: Saturday Night Fever

“How many valiant men, how many fair ladies, breakfast with their kinfolk and the same night supped with their ancestors in the next world! The condition of the people was pitiable to behold. They sickened by the thousands daily, and died unattended and without help.” -Giovanni Boccaccio

Carry on!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 602March 2, 2020 6:08 AM

Previous thread

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 28, 2020 10:58 PM

You chose the superior title, Sylvia, and I thank you.

by Anonymousreply 2February 28, 2020 11:05 PM

Mádre de Mio, think I might be sick, and I'm not talking about a cold.

by Anonymousreply 3February 28, 2020 11:08 PM

So did Annette enjoy getting banged by at least one of those guys?

by Anonymousreply 4February 28, 2020 11:10 PM

Somewhere in this country, there's a body or two on ice, hidden away in an undisclosed location. Those in the know have been told to shut their mouths until the time is right to release this info to the public.

Those in the know will also possibly die from the virus, or a bullet to the head. And, of course, it will be ruled as a suicide.

by Anonymousreply 5February 28, 2020 11:13 PM

Looking at OP's photo, you can actually see the viral nano particles floating through the air.

😘 [italic] Thank You, Sylvia !

by Anonymousreply 6February 28, 2020 11:17 PM

Is this one of those collab fiction things like we did with Dark Lesbians?

by Anonymousreply 7February 28, 2020 11:18 PM

DARK LESBIANS: THE PLAGUE EDITION

by Anonymousreply 8February 28, 2020 11:23 PM

If one of those other fuckers tries to pull that My Corona bullshit we need to break ranks.

by Anonymousreply 9February 28, 2020 11:31 PM

Travolta is a good choice for “celebrity dying of the virus”.

If the pope doesn’t die first. Catholics will freak out.

by Anonymousreply 10February 28, 2020 11:37 PM

I've never taken any cold meds when sick with flu. I take advil if I have a fever and just ride it out with chicken soups, green tea and rest.

Good luck to all DLers! Stay safe and don't go to big gatherings...

Remember, people who appear healthy with no symptoms can be infected and pass it to others...so keep washing your hands and clean your surfaces with bleach!

by Anonymousreply 11February 28, 2020 11:41 PM

Second case in US of CV of unknown origin, this time in Santa Clara County, CA (just a few hours south of the 1st case). The patient is a nurse.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 28, 2020 11:43 PM

Coronavirus fears cost the world’s 5 richest people $36 billion this week

Forget Bernie Sanders — billionaires’ biggest enemy right now is the coronavirus.

The world’s five richest people finished their worst week ever in terms of dollars lost on Friday, hemorrhaging a combined $36.5 billion as the spread of the epidemic punished stocks and stoked worries about a global recession.

That’s a sum that dwarfs the market capitalization of any number of US corporate giants, including Ford Motor Co., Clorox and Snap Inc.

Bezos — who earlier this month shelled out $165 million for a Beverly Hills mansion — was seconded by Microsoft co-founder Bill Gates, the world’s No. 2 tycoon, who is down $5.7 billion with an end-of-week net worth of $112.6 billion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 28, 2020 11:46 PM

What r11 said.

If your doing meatless for Lent, stone soup is a great alternative.

by Anonymousreply 14February 28, 2020 11:46 PM

R11, I don’t bother, either. It usually makes me feel worse in a different way. I think fever should be allowed to burn itself off, unless it’s preventing sleep. And I think Mucinex is useful.

Stay healthy, hookers!

by Anonymousreply 15February 28, 2020 11:54 PM

These two idiots are going to end up spreading this in Dallas.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 16February 29, 2020 12:27 AM

Anyone at home on "voluntary house quarantine" is a clear and present danger to their city, state, and country.

by Anonymousreply 17February 29, 2020 12:47 AM

R12 here - sorry I read the article too quickly. Patient is not a nurse but an older woman with pre-existing respiratory issues.

by Anonymousreply 18February 29, 2020 12:47 AM

I worry all the hand washing is just going to affect our drinking water. Out one end, in the other! Sure it's a honeymoon joke but now it's happening!

by Anonymousreply 19February 29, 2020 12:56 AM

An interesting article on anti-Asian racism and discrimination, like homophobia.

I have been reading the threads here and the news online. I became a bit more worried after Italy, since I live in Europe and it feels like its going to spread fast.

Today me and my partner had a movie night watching virus related films, Contagion, 2011 by by Steven Soderbergh and Outbreak, 1995.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 20February 29, 2020 1:18 AM

To the poster above, isn't virtually all Advil made in China?

Also, to the person who asked about the flu and pneumonia shot, please get them ASAP. Yes, I know they don't protect against the Coronavirus, but if they prevent you from getting ANY sickness that keeps you away from the doctor's office and/or hospital where you can become infected...then do it. At my Rite Aide today in Brooklyn, they said they were out of the vaccines, but still getting many calls.

by Anonymousreply 21February 29, 2020 1:21 AM

UPDATE :

CASES : 85,206

DEATHS : 2,923

by Anonymousreply 22February 29, 2020 1:29 AM

Oregon, represent!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 29, 2020 1:32 AM

I'm not a Twitter Tweeter.

Is Trump still pedalling his stupid BS on line. Or has he temporarily quieted down?

by Anonymousreply 24February 29, 2020 1:36 AM

Great... I live in Portland.

I hope I don’t regret all the many asses I’ve eaten lately.

by Anonymousreply 25February 29, 2020 1:45 AM

Great Rachel episode

by Anonymousreply 26February 29, 2020 1:47 AM

Washington state officials giving press conference at 8 pm PST.

by Anonymousreply 27February 29, 2020 1:52 AM

r24 he was busy doing his Democratic rally in SC tonight but he is back to tweeting as of 10 minutes ago. nothing about the virus.

by Anonymousreply 28February 29, 2020 1:54 AM

At the rally he said the virus is a Democratic hoax and there are like 15 people who had it and they're fine now.

by Anonymousreply 29February 29, 2020 1:56 AM

If trump wasn’t in office, this would not be happening

by Anonymousreply 30February 29, 2020 2:03 AM

[bold] DUMBEST

PRESIDENT

EVER !

by Anonymousreply 31February 29, 2020 2:03 AM

Only heterosexuals are getting it!

by Anonymousreply 32February 29, 2020 2:07 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33February 29, 2020 2:10 AM

Beavertooth and Buttface think their Daddy is the cat's ass.

Wonder who will be the first in the family to get sick?

by Anonymousreply 34February 29, 2020 2:12 AM

Third case in Santa Clara county:

[quote]Santa Clara County public health department leaders reported a third case of coronavirus (COVID-19) within the county on Friday, the same day Palo Alto school district officials learned a parent of two students may have been exposed to the virus. The two students, who attend Palo Alto High School and JLS Middle School, were sent home as a precaution, Superintendent Don Austin said.

[quote]The third coronavirus case involves an older woman who has chronic health conditions and was hospitalized for a respiratory illness, according to a department press release.

[quote]The patient received treatment at El Camino Hospital in Mountain View, according to Richard Angeloni, interim communications director at the hospital. It doesn't appear she was exposed to the virus through travel or had contact with a traveler or someone with the virus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 29, 2020 2:13 AM

R21 And might I add there's a much lower complication rate with the tri-valent jab over the quadrivalent version. Not quite sure if both are equally being marketed in the US, yet the tri-valent is very effective and has a a proven track record in Europe and the UK.

by Anonymousreply 36February 29, 2020 2:14 AM

The greatest nation in the world hit the bottom of the barrel the day Trump was elected.

by Anonymousreply 37February 29, 2020 2:14 AM

Everyone at CDC should be fired! WHO THE FUCK IS WORKING THERE? THEY CAN'T EVEN MAKE PROPER TEST KITS!!!!

they refuse to test people and they were out there infecting the public....and now it's every fucking where!!!

by Anonymousreply 38February 29, 2020 2:14 AM

do you need a prescription for a pneumonia shot? it is different from a flu shot and I heard there are two types of pneumonia shots.

by Anonymousreply 39February 29, 2020 2:16 AM

😘 Our DL Worldwide Family & Friends : Please share your thoughts, and let us know how you're doing.

by Anonymousreply 40February 29, 2020 2:16 AM

The Oregon case works at an elementary school in a wealthy suburb of Portland.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 41February 29, 2020 2:17 AM

R39 I do believe if your age qualifies you, you can get it in an American pharmacy, but could be mistaken. I had tri-valent a few years ago in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 42February 29, 2020 2:18 AM

wow, how wonderful...fucking whole school is infected! and the thing is kids don't show symptoms even if they are infected!

I bet they were on a plane...

How the fuck is the CDC gonna test hundreds of these kids and others? useless cunts!!!!

by Anonymousreply 43February 29, 2020 2:18 AM

right now USA 64...by this time next week, it will be at least double.

by Anonymousreply 44February 29, 2020 2:22 AM

I got both from my doctor. I think you can get them without a prescription at a pharmacy but not sure. YOu have to be on Medicare or you have to have a breathing problem. I have COPD so I had to get both Pneumonia shots. I think they're good for five years or loger.

by Anonymousreply 45February 29, 2020 2:24 AM

You don't need a prescription for a flu shot. You can get them at many pharmacies, including grocery stores with pharmacies, or at walk in urgent care centers. If your on Medicare, they will pick up the tab. Most insurance companies cover all of most of the cost.

If you are not aware, it's recommended to get you fist shot at age 40, and repeat it at age 62, with another regular shot, and the booster vaccine the following year.

by Anonymousreply 46February 29, 2020 2:24 AM

Does this tracheostomy make my butt look fat?

by Anonymousreply 47February 29, 2020 2:24 AM

CNN-There are now 25 confirmed coronavirus cases in Australia

The Australian Department of Health has confirmed that 25 people have been infected with coronavirus -- up on the previous 22 cases.

Of those 25, 15 people have reportedly recovered and the rest are in stable condition.

by Anonymousreply 48February 29, 2020 2:27 AM

Make that "FIRST shot."

FIST shots are optional, and are not covered by insurance.

Damn you, spell check. Damn you!

by Anonymousreply 49February 29, 2020 2:28 AM

CNN-Italian hospitals face an "overcrowding crisis"

Hospitals battling Italy's growing coronavirus outbreak are facing a "crisis," according to health officials in the southern European nation.

Italy now has over 820 cases, making it one of the worst hit countries in the world. Lombardy, in northern Italy, has 531 confirmed cases and a death toll of 17, the region's health secretary Giulio Gallera said Friday.

And hospitals are struggling to cope.

"If the (coronavirus) keeps spreading, there will be a crisis of the hospitals, not only for those infected, but for all patients,” Gallera said."

Professor Massimo Galli, head of the department of infectious diseases at Sacco Hospital in Milan, said that some hospitals were already facing an overcrowding crisis. The strain on health care infrastructure has long been a concern attached to the outbreak. In the Chinese province of Hubei, where the virus is thought to have originated, hospitals were initially unable to cope with the influx of new patients, a situation that is thought to have helped accelerate the spread of the virus during the early stages of the outbreak.

by Anonymousreply 50February 29, 2020 2:29 AM

Says his name's Randall Flagg. But who he really is is an apostate of Hell.

by Anonymousreply 51February 29, 2020 2:30 AM

Omg, Sanjay is telling people to prep.

He said, it’s not time to stay home yet, but schools may close, you may be told to work from home, and “just take a look around your home and say, what do I need if I have to stay home for a couple of weeks.”

They’re answering questions on Don Lemon’s show now.

I highly recommend to everyone, if you have a Sams Club card or want one, get the executive card. You can upgrade your existing card. Every $500 you get $10 back, which can be used for merch or gas. Also, Sams opens for you at 7am. It opens for everyone else at 10:00. The store is fully stocked, and much less crowded.

I bought a water cooler in the office Dept. $150 for hot and cold water. You buy the water there also, the bottles are recyclable. As I walked out with mine, I passed another guy with one too.

by Anonymousreply 52February 29, 2020 2:30 AM

the person infected in Oregon is a teacher.

by Anonymousreply 53February 29, 2020 2:31 AM

We know r53

by Anonymousreply 54February 29, 2020 2:32 AM

For R39.... My science may very well be outdated, and ypur country offers different jabs. Please consult below. Mind you, in the UK, these are recommended for fifty and up, especially if one is a former smoker. ( or current). Looks like some in the States recommend them for the sixty-five and up set.

Be prepared, Streptococcus can kill. Be well!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55February 29, 2020 2:34 AM

I read on twitter that this teacher has been sick for a week! not sure if true...

by Anonymousreply 56February 29, 2020 2:36 AM

omg, just read that the teacher has been sick since Feb 19...and she's probably been coughing and infecting everyone at school...

by Anonymousreply 57February 29, 2020 2:38 AM

If you read r41 link, the teacher first had symptoms on February 19. It’s current February 28, so that’s 9 days.

by Anonymousreply 58February 29, 2020 2:39 AM

I believe r51, that Randall Flagg is the person who now calls himself [italic] President Donald Trump.

by Anonymousreply 59February 29, 2020 2:39 AM

R59, baby, can you dig your man?

by Anonymousreply 60February 29, 2020 2:41 AM

Based on what is known about similar coronaviruses, disease experts say the new outbreak of the virus, named COVID-19, is mainly spread from person to person through coughing or sneezing. Contact with fecal matter from an infected person may also transmit the virus.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention says it may be possible for a person to become infected by touching a surface or object that has the virus on it and then touching their own mouth, nose or eyes.

An analysis of 22 earlier studies of similar coronaviruses, including Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS) and Middle East Respiratory Syndrome (MERS) published online this month in the Journal of Hospital Infection, concluded that human coronaviruses can remain infectious on inanimate surfaces for up to nine days at room temperature. However, they can quickly be rendered inactive using common disinfectants, and may also dissipate at higher temperatures, the authors wrote. It is not yet clear, however, whether the new coronavirus behaves in a similar way.

“On copper and steel it’s pretty typical, it’s pretty much about two hours,” CDC Director Dr. Robert Redfield told U.S. lawmakers on Thursday, referring to how long the new coronavirus may be active on those types of materials. “But I will say on other surfaces - cardboard or plastic - it’s longer, and so we are looking at this.”

The agency said there is likely a very low risk of spread from products or packaging that are shipped over a period of days or weeks at ambient temperatures.

A CDC spokeswoman, in an emailed statement, said the agency is still looking into how contagious the virus can be when deposited on more common, everyday surfaces.

The Food and Drug Administration this week said it has no evidence that COVID-19 has been transmitted from imported goods, but the situation remains “dynamic” and the agency said it will assess and update guidance as needed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 29, 2020 2:42 AM

hopefully no one in WeHo, Chelsea, Boystown, Ptown etc gets this. If so, it'll spread like wildfire throughout the gay community

by Anonymousreply 62February 29, 2020 2:43 AM

Much ado about nothing!

by Anonymousreply 63February 29, 2020 2:44 AM

It will be everywhere soon r62

by Anonymousreply 64February 29, 2020 2:45 AM

M-O-O-N !

That spells Corona.

by Anonymousreply 65February 29, 2020 2:45 AM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 66February 29, 2020 2:49 AM

Pre-Corona : Little Women

Post Corona : Little Woman

by Anonymousreply 67February 29, 2020 2:49 AM

This is gonna fuck up the election!!!

by Anonymousreply 68February 29, 2020 2:50 AM

About the pneumonia shot, I got it at the beginning of the month. I’m in the U.S.

In the U.S., it’s not recommended for people under 65, unless you have a pre-existing condition such as COPD, respiratory issues like asthma, or you are a smoker. Being a smoker may seem a stretch, but my ex was a smoker and got severe pneumonia very quickly. It became serious so quickly we couldn’t believe it. It took one day. One. Now’s a really good time to quit smoking if you can. It’s not worth dying for.

For some time, I was a caretaker for an elderly parent with congestive heart failure, and he had chronic bronchitis. They gave me the shot, because they said if he got pneumonia from me, it would kill him.

I’ve also had pneumonia several times myself, my lungs are not great. So I got the shot anyway. I didn’t need a prescription, but I did tell them about my chronic bronchitis I used to get every year for about six months out of the year, and my pneumonia history, so they let me have it.

About the poster wondering if they should get vaccinations, under the present circumstances, get whatever vaccinations you can, Corona related or not. I got the flu vaccine, let a couple of weeks go by, then got my shingles vaccine. In a couple more weeks, I’m getting another vaccination. Within about two months, I’ll have the works.

Corona or not, illnesses are expensive and put you through a lot of discomfort. That’s exactly why vaccinations were invented, so you don’t have to get sick.

I think looking forward, we should try to predict the long term consequences of this virus. Sick, tired doctors, overwhelmed waiting rooms, hospital beds full for weeks at a time with patients that can’t be released.

Anything you can do not to get sick, do it. And make sure your pets have their rabies shot and vaccinations, and get your car checked up. Prevention is the key now.

by Anonymousreply 69February 29, 2020 2:51 AM

I'm not panicking yet, but I was at my local Sam's tonight to get some non-coronapocalypse items. I decided I should buy a couple of the jumbo bottles of hand sanitizer while I was there, but there was none to be found. I also saw an empty shelf where Excedrin pain reliever should be. There as a sign saying that there was a national shortage and that the store had none. The shelf below that had a few flats of ibuprofen bottles, but nowhere near the amount that would normally fill that space. I then made a stop at Walmart to see if they had any hand sanitizer, and again the shelves were empty. Fortunately, I have an adequate supply of sanitzer to last me for a few weeks. Hopefully, by then the stores will be restocked.

by Anonymousreply 70February 29, 2020 2:52 AM

From the Washington Post 2/28/20-

[quote] I have the coronavirus. So far, it isn’t that bad.

[quote] My treatment has largely consisted of drinking gallons and gallons of Gatorade

[quote]I am in my late 60s, and the sickest I’ve ever been was when I had bronchitis several years ago. That laid me out on my back for a few days. This has been much easier: no chills, no body aches. I breathe easily, and I don’t have a stuffy nose. My chest feels tight, and I have coughing spells. If I were at home with similar symptoms, I probably would have gone to work as usual.

[quote] I caught the virus on the Diamond Princess, the cruise ship that was quarantined outside Yokohama for 14 days, at the end of a 16-day cruise I took with my wife, Jeri.

[quote] I also watch the news. It’s surreal to see everyone panic — news conferences, the stock market falling, school closures — about a disease I have. It does seem likely that coronavirus will spread in the United States, but it won’t help anybody if we all panic. Based on my experience, I’d recommend that everyone get a good digital thermometer, just as a comfort tool, so they can reassure themselves if their noses start running. I have been relatively fortunate: At least six Diamond Princess passengers have died from the virus, of the around 705 passengers who caught it. But coronavirus doesn’t have to be a horrible calamity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 71February 29, 2020 2:54 AM

I retired last year from after a long nursing career. The last 22 years were spent as an ER nurse. So glad I'm retired. The first place the sick go through for evaluation is the ER.

by Anonymousreply 72February 29, 2020 2:56 AM

Handy corona virus counter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 73February 29, 2020 3:01 AM

If we accept the premise that Trump is Randall Flagg, does that mean the Senatrice is Trashcan Man?

by Anonymousreply 74February 29, 2020 3:01 AM

If we accept the premise that Trump is Randall Flagg, does that mean the Senatrice is Trashcan Man?

by Anonymousreply 75February 29, 2020 3:01 AM

When new strains of pneumonia emerged, guidelines for shots were recommended for those ages 40-42, and another shot between ages 62-65. The new strains were very resistant to antibiotics. I'm not really sure if that is the case today.

by Anonymousreply 76February 29, 2020 3:03 AM

Trump at his dumbass rally tonight called this "the new hoax" as in the Democrats tried to get him with Russia, Impeachment and now this.

by Anonymousreply 77February 29, 2020 3:03 AM

Donald Trump is a Legend in his own Mind.

by Anonymousreply 78February 29, 2020 3:04 AM

Pray the Rosary as though your life depended on it

by Anonymousreply 79February 29, 2020 3:10 AM

R71 the writer seems to miss the point? Most people getting kind (or moderately) sick and getting better doesn't change the possibility that hospitals could be overwhelmed by those that are severely sick to the point of needing expensive medical help or they die - or at least have permanent damage. And the possibility that something sticks to us that continues a vulnerability.

And that's just in developed nations.

by Anonymousreply 80February 29, 2020 3:11 AM

R76 I believe you're spot on. Some American children receive them now as well according to what I linked @ R55.

by Anonymousreply 81February 29, 2020 3:15 AM

I just caught the end of Lemon’s show on CNN where one of his guests (didn’t catch the name) quoted the Dean of the University of Michigan school of medicine saying this could be the “END OF CIVILIZATION.”

What the F? Seriously??

by Anonymousreply 82February 29, 2020 3:18 AM

Don Lemon was the ELEOP!

by Anonymousreply 83February 29, 2020 3:26 AM

R82 I think that's what many of us are thinking, but didn't want to be the first to say it out loud. Many people believe that we'll be wiped out by a plague/virus (natural or man made), a nuclear war, or a massive weather related disaster caused by complications of global warming.

I'm not one to panic and shout that the sky is falling, but this seriously has me a bit more worried with each passing day.

by Anonymousreply 84February 29, 2020 3:31 AM

Hayes On Dangers Of Incompetent Admin Trying To Lead Us Through A Major Crisis | All In | MSNBC

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85February 29, 2020 3:34 AM

Aww, I miss the ELEOP!

by Anonymousreply 86February 29, 2020 3:34 AM

Two new cases in Washington state-one acquired locally and one who had returned from South Korea.

In other news at least the UK has a leader who isn’t calling this a “Labour hoax”:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87February 29, 2020 3:39 AM

Do you think mosquitos or killer bees can carry the Coronavirus?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 88February 29, 2020 3:53 AM

CNN-124 health workers at one US hospital have been forced to self-quarantine after possible coronavirus exposure

Over 120 health care workers from one hospital in California have been asked to stay home over fears they may have been exposed to a coronavirus patient.

A woman is currently being treated at the University of California Davis Medical Center for confirmed case of COVID-19. The patient didn't have any relevant travel history or any exposure to another known patient.

A total of 124 health care workers -- including at least 36 nurses -- have been forced to self-quarantine after possible exposure to the coronavirus patient, the National Nurses United union announced Friday. The health care workers have been asked to stay home, according to a press release from the union.

"Despite University of California medical facilities being generally better prepared and equipped to treat challenging medical cases, the recent UC Davis Medical Center COVID-19 case highlights the vulnerability of the nation’s hospitals to this virus and the insufficiency of current Centers for Disease Control guidelines," the union said in the press release.

A spokesman at UC Davis Health tells CNN they do not have a comment at this time.

by Anonymousreply 89February 29, 2020 4:15 AM

CNN-South Korea reports 594 new cases of coronavirus, bringing the country's total cases to 2,931

South Korea now has 2,931 confirmed coronavirus cases, after reporting an additional 594 cases overnight, the South Korean Center for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said in a statement Saturday.

Three new deaths were reported on Saturday, bringing the country wide death toll at 16.

All three new deaths occurred in the Daegu region, and the deceased are identified as women born in 1926, 1950, and 1957.

by Anonymousreply 90February 29, 2020 4:16 AM

Oh shit, I've sneezed twice in the last hour and a half and I'm in Santa Clara County, California.

Darfur Orphan, you can have my $1.50 for March.

The rest of you bitches can suck it. I've got heirs, damnit!!

by Anonymousreply 91February 29, 2020 4:33 AM

Oddly, I'm not concerned at all about catching the virus or whether it will kill me. I have no fear of death whatsoever (see that other thread about Afterlife Theories).

What irritates the fuck out of me is that the new normal is going to be everyone staying home. This will kill live theater, movie theaters, concerts of all kinds, opera, sports events, street fairs, any kind of public gathering.

The airlines and hotel industries and everything related to travel will be wiped out. No one who can avoid travel will leave their house.

It will also likely allow Amazon and Walmart to destroy what's left of small, locally owned businesses, because everyone will buy online, even if they opt to use something like Walmart's pick-up service. No one will want to go into any store or interact with any retail personnel.

Plus, how long until it shows up at a border detention center and kills all the immigrants and asylum seekers?

This will alter life on earth as we know it.

by Anonymousreply 92February 29, 2020 4:34 AM

How is grindr responding? Who in the world would be hooking up anytime soon?

Gross.

by Anonymousreply 93February 29, 2020 4:39 AM

Shaking hands may go the way of the dinosaur.

by Anonymousreply 94February 29, 2020 4:43 AM

We're all the Bubble Boy now.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95February 29, 2020 4:54 AM

It ain't no Spanish Flu.

by Anonymousreply 96February 29, 2020 5:06 AM

R92

I worry it will also wipe out the homeless, and, in the larger picture, it really angers me that West Coast states have let that particular problem fester to such absurd degrees.

by Anonymousreply 97February 29, 2020 5:58 AM

The thing about a virus of any kind is that it has no borders. So if it spreads rapidly through the homeless population or the immigration detention centers, it will reach the general population much faster. Trump the asshole doesn't realize that withholding aid to California or NY is going to create problems in Kansas or BUmfuck Indiana or where ever his MAGAts live. But good. Encourage your supporters to not believe it's real. Let them spread it to the general population you imbecilic piece of shit.

We need billboards that tell Trump "Every thing Obama did, he did it better than you!" He needs to see it. It'll drive him nuts.

by Anonymousreply 98February 29, 2020 10:24 AM

[quote]The thing about a virus of any kind is that it has no borders.

BUILD THE WALL!!!!

by Anonymousreply 99February 29, 2020 10:29 AM

I want to humbly beseech that part 10 be called "Staying Alive."

by Anonymousreply 100February 29, 2020 11:20 AM

FOX LA: LA County Public Health says a South Korean flight attendant who flew into LAX and later tested positive for #coronavirus did NOT pose any risk to the public while she was in LA County because she had no symptoms at time, and only developed them after leaving LA.

NYT: 'Some individuals who are infected with the coronavirus can spread it even though they have no symptoms, studies have shown.'

Me: We're doomed.

by Anonymousreply 101February 29, 2020 12:00 PM

Can this virus spread from mother to baby in the womb?

by Anonymousreply 102February 29, 2020 12:06 PM

Austria: Nine confirmed coronavirus cases as of Saturday noon.

People buying stuff like noodles and canned food like loons, downright ludicrous scenes in supermarkets and pharmacies.

The pic, video in the article linked below are NOT fake (as in photoshopped etc), LOL - although it needs to be said that it was Fat Tuesday / Mardi Gras (or whatever you call it) when the pic, video respectively were taken, so the blokes in the pic/video might have taken the piss after all.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103February 29, 2020 12:26 PM

Its dark in here...the virus won't find us.....

by Anonymousreply 104February 29, 2020 12:26 PM

I don't think people a re crazy for buying stuff. Look. Let's say you have a young family of four and everything gets shut down. Everyone is home 24/7. You may be home for a couple weeks or even a month or two depending on how bad things get. You can't order GrubHub every night, or get a pizza. You have to rely on what you have. You cook. And if you have a freezer, you buy frozen stuff. The only thing I haven't figure out is eggs. We eat a lot of eggs and I don't think you can freeze them. So while I can buy extra, I cant get them too far in advance.

I'm gonna watch that movie, Contagion...Matt Damon...Kate Winslet, Gwynnie.

by Anonymousreply 105February 29, 2020 12:32 PM

It should have a long time ago R94. It’s a disgusting custom that needs to end.

by Anonymousreply 106February 29, 2020 12:36 PM

You can probably get some good deals on travel to Italy:

Italy’s tourism industry has been dealt its final blow, the head of its hotel federation has lamented, after the US advised its citizens to reconsider travelling to the country.

Hotel reservation cancellations have already reached about 90% in Rome, while Venice has seen bookings plummet after regional officials cancelled the final two days of carnival celebrations this week in an unprecedented move in modern times.

On Friday, the US government issued a level three advisory, the second-highest level of warning for the whole of Italy, and announced that the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention had recommended avoiding non-essential travel to the Mediterranean country.

by Anonymousreply 107February 29, 2020 12:42 PM

We've been having a pretty severe influenca season this year, with several schools in Tyrol being shut down etc - nobody gave a fuck. With the coronavirus, though, half the country turns into a freakout zone.

Don't get me wrong, it's good to get yourself food with extended shelf life and stuff that can be useful in case you get quarantined or the supply chains fuck up. But what is going on here atm is just insane, nothing but sheer panicking.

(Plus it shows hardly anybody here has been paying heed to the common official advice to do some prepping by stocking food for a couple of days in case there's a major blackout and the like.)

by Anonymousreply 108February 29, 2020 12:47 PM

CNN-Mexico confirms third coronavirus case

Mexico’s ministry of health confirmed one additional coronavirus case in the country, bringing the country's total to three.

Currently, there is one confirmed case of the virus in the city of Culiacan, in Sinaloa state, and two cases in Mexico City.

by Anonymousreply 109February 29, 2020 12:51 PM

CNN-South Korea now has more than 3,100 coronavirus cases

South Korea has reported another 219 coronavirus cases, bringing the country's total number of cases to 3,150.

That's another big jump, following an earlier announcement Saturday morning that authorities had recorded 594 new cases overnight. The South Korean Center for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) has also reported one new death since Saturday morning, bringing the nationwide death toll to 17. The deceased is identified as a man born in 1943.

by Anonymousreply 110February 29, 2020 12:52 PM

There was a DLer going to Japan at the end of March...no need to go! They've cancelled the cherry blossom festival in Japan!

CNN-Cherry blossom festivals cancelled in Japan due coronavirus outbreak

Japan's cherry blossoms are a huge tourist draw -- and a source of national pride. But this year, at least two cherry blossom festivals won't be going ahead.

The Osaka Mint cherry blossom festival in Japan has been cancelled over coronavirus outbreak concerns, according to a statement from the organizers.

In Tokyo, the Nakameguro Cherry Blossom Festival also announced it would cancel its event this year, including its main attraction of lighting up trees along the river.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111February 29, 2020 12:54 PM

CNN-There are 935 people infected with coronavirus in Japan. 705 of them are from the Diamond Princess cruise ship

At least 11 people have died from the virus in the country, according to Japanese health officials.

by Anonymousreply 112February 29, 2020 12:55 PM

Hey, I'm 106 years old, and I still make my own bread.

by Anonymousreply 113February 29, 2020 12:57 PM

One of the two Netherlands cases is in Amsterdam. Damn. This could end up shutting down all those window ladies (and trannies).

by Anonymousreply 114February 29, 2020 12:57 PM

I started watching the show “the containment” on netflix. Probably similar to contagion.

by Anonymousreply 115February 29, 2020 1:08 PM

[quote]One of the two Netherlands cases is in Amsterdam. Damn. This could end up shutting down all those window ladies (and trannies).

Bumpty-BUMP!

by Anonymousreply 116February 29, 2020 1:10 PM

CNN-Qatar announces first case of coronavirus

Qatar's Ministry of Public Health announced on Saturday that the country has registered its first confirmed case of Covid-19, according to state-run Qatar News Agency.

by Anonymousreply 117February 29, 2020 1:12 PM

I bought my elderly mother a huge stash of supplies. I wanted to get them now while I don't have to sanitize every package and canned item due to a possibly infected stocker or cashier.

by Anonymousreply 118February 29, 2020 1:12 PM

R102, Babies can catch it during birth, but no new-borns or children under 9 have died from it.

by Anonymousreply 119February 29, 2020 1:16 PM

The results from the study suggest that influenza actually survives longer at low humidity and low temperatures. At 43°F with very low humidity, most of the virus was able to survive more than 23 hours, whereas at high humidity and a temperature of 90°F, survival was diminished at even one hour into incubation.

Will the sauna or steam room kill it?

by Anonymousreply 120February 29, 2020 1:45 PM

Not just shaking hands, but also hugging and the European custom of kissing both cheeks, R106

by Anonymousreply 121February 29, 2020 1:49 PM

A patient with a suspected case of the coronavirus is being treated at Bayshore Medical Center in Holmdel, NJ.

The person is being held in isolation while the hospital awaits the results of a test for the virus. It will be a few days before the test is returned, CBS New York reported.

“Please rest assured that our health care team is taking every precaution in caring for this isolated patient and determining an accurate diagnosis,” the hospital said in an email to its clinicians Friday from Dr. Jerry M. Zuckerman, vice president of Infection Prevention and Control for Hackensack Meridian Health Bayshore Medical Center, according to the Asbury Park Press.

“Led by our Infection Prevention team, they are working with New Jersey’s Department of Health in accordance with protocols provided by the US Centers for Disease Control,” Zuckerman wrote.

He said the hospital is following all necessary precautions.

Over the past several weeks, at least 22 residents of Monmouth and Ocean counties have been quarantined at their homes, following their return from places where there have been outbreaks of COVID-19, the Asbury Park Press reported. No one is in quarantine in either county, nor have they shown any symptoms of the disease.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122February 29, 2020 2:13 PM

Away out here they got a name

For rain and wind and fire

The rain is Tess, the fire Joe,

And they call the plague Corona

by Anonymousreply 123February 29, 2020 2:15 PM

R118 Would it not have been cheaper to have her euthanized?

by Anonymousreply 124February 29, 2020 2:17 PM

Politician apologizes for saying coronavirus caused by Chinese people eating ‘live mice’

Luca Zaia, the governor of Veneto, made the remarks in a local television interview.

“The hygiene that our people, the Venetians and the Italian citizens have, the cultural training we have, is that of taking a shower, of washing, of washing one’s hands often,” Zaia told Antenna 3-Nord Est TV, Reuters reported.

“It is a cultural fact that China has paid a big price for this epidemic because we have seen them all eat mice live or things like that,” he said.

Though Chinese people in China are known for eating a variety of unusual fare — dogs included — the remarks stung the Chinese embassy in Rome.

“At a crucial time like this, when China and Italy stand side-by-side to deal with the epidemic, an Italian politician has spared no slander about the Chinese people. This is a gratuitous attack that leaves us stunned,” embassy officials posted on Facebook.

Veneto, a northeastern region of Italy, has been particularly hard-hit by coronavirus cases. Across the country, at least 888 people have been infected and 21 deaths reported; Italy is now the most affected country after China, where the virus originated.

“My words came out badly, I agree. If anyone was offended, I am sorry,” Zaia told Corriere della Sera newspaper, Reuters reported “I wanted to say that when it comes to food health and safety, controls change from country to country.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125February 29, 2020 2:20 PM

FYI: Kitchenaid mixers are selling out fast. Yesterday I was looking at them, and the site said over 17,000 people were looking at the same time. At three a.m.

They’re for kneading bread dough. There’s also attachments to make pasta, slice vegetables, grind and process food, shred and more. Most attachments are purchased separately, about $50-$100. Here’s my research:

QVC is selling the mixers and attachments now for five or six monthly payments if you need to spread the cost out. They sell both the tilt model and the fixed stand model, so read the description.

Mini size is 4.5 quart. Would fit in tight spaces but small motor. Most people that are not heavy bakers get the Artisan 5 quart. That’s the one that comes in a lot of colors. That has a head that tilts back to get the bowl out easily.

Costco’s is a stand mixer, their model does not fit all the optional attachments you buy separately. Also it’s loud. And there’s a screw that is very hard to get unscrewed when you first get it.

People complain the attachments don’t hit the bottom of the bowl in the stand mixers, and it’s hard to get the bowl on and off for some people, but it has a much more powerful, loud motor. Comes in black, red and silver.

Sams Club also has a stand mixer, and it’s loud, has more colors. Far as I know, the attachments fit this model. Slightly smaller motor than Costco.

Glass bowl purchased separately: breaks very easily, don’t buy it. Plastic vs metal attachments: plastic are dishwasher safe, many metal attachments are not stainless, and are hand wash only.

Commercial 600 series mixers. Very large and tall. Probably doesn’t fit under your counter. Too much motor for the average baker, unless you’re baking a lot of heavy bread dough.

Home Depot have one day pickup for many colors. Bed Bath&Beyond & Best Buy have them. Macy’s & Dillards are having a sale, but low stock.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 126February 29, 2020 2:25 PM

thanks for the feedback r126

by Anonymousreply 127February 29, 2020 2:27 PM

thanks for the feedback r126

by Anonymousreply 128February 29, 2020 2:27 PM

Jimmy Kimmel:

Trump Washes His Hands of the Coronavirus

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129February 29, 2020 2:40 PM

[quote]Will the sauna or steam room kill it?

Alright, whores. Get to the gym. You know what you need to do.

by Anonymousreply 130February 29, 2020 2:46 PM

I am not baking any damn bread. If worse comes to worse (which it won't, I am in Brooklyn) I will lose a few pounds.

by Anonymousreply 131February 29, 2020 2:58 PM

I'm low carb - so no baking bread for me.

by Anonymousreply 132February 29, 2020 3:00 PM

IT'S SPREADING Three more patients test positive for coronavirus taking UK toll for the deadly bug to 23

Chief Medical Officer Professor Chris Whitty revealed the new cases are from Gloucestershire, Hertfordshire and Berkshire as the deadly bug sweeps the country.

Two of the patients had recently travelled back from Italy while the other had returned from Asia.

Health officials are frantically working to trace anyone who has had contact with the new cases over the past few days.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 133February 29, 2020 3:00 PM

man with gas mask on the london tube

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 134February 29, 2020 3:00 PM

A 21 year old survivor tells his story

‘To hell and back’: my three weeks suffering from coronavirus

Tiger Ye, 21, lives in Wuhan and started showing symptoms in mid-January. Here he tells the story of his illness and recovery

Tiger Ye

On 17 January my muscles became sore all over. I may have had a slight fever, but it wasn’t strong enough to notice. Looking back, it is a little scary, because my house and the language school where I study Japanese are within a 5km radius of the Wuhan seafood market (where the virus is believed to have originated).

To treat my muscle soreness, I took some cold tablets because I thought it was a normal cold. Now that I think of it, I might have missed the best time for treatment, failing to contain the virus with antiviral drugs in its early stages.

I have no idea how I got the virus. I always eat at the same Hong Kong-style restaurant below my school. I wasn’t walking around much at the time because it was very cold, and since I was tired after classes I always went back home. Once the semester break started, I stayed with my parents and not at the dormitory. I started wearing a mask a few days later when I saw everyone else around me wearing masks.

by Anonymousreply 135February 29, 2020 3:01 PM

[quote]which it won't, I am in Brooklyn

Word of advice: when it's time to see the city of foot, go across the bridges, not through the tunnels. Much safer.

by Anonymousreply 136February 29, 2020 3:02 PM

*FLEE the city.

Baby, can you dig your man?

by Anonymousreply 137February 29, 2020 3:02 PM

Continued

Sickness and self-isolation By 21 January my body was still aching all over, so I called my dad. He sensed something was wrong with me and urged me to go home immediately. That evening I took my body temperature which showed a mild fever. My mom said that if my temperature still didn’t drop later that night, we would go to the hospital. At 11pm that night, the fever hadn’t gone away, so I went to Tongji hospital.

On arrival I saw the hospital already overwhelmed with patients. Seeing doctors in their hazmat suits in real life for the first time, something I’d only seen in documentaries about Sars, I realised something bad was happening.

I wasn’t that astonished or scared when I saw all the people, because it is one of the best hospitals in Wuhan and it is always very crowded. Because of the massive crowds, I decided to go to Wuhan pulmonary hospital instead, and that proved to be the right decision.

There was not a single patient there at the time I arrived. There I had blood and liver function [tests] and a CT scan. The CT results came back showing patchy shadows on the lower sides of both of my lungs. I started to take some prescription medicine and Chinese medicine capsules prescribed by the hospital.

by Anonymousreply 138February 29, 2020 3:04 PM

[quote]I'm low carb - so no baking bread for me.

What have I been telling you boys?

by Anonymousreply 139February 29, 2020 3:06 PM

Thanks for the video at r129. I forgot how much Trump loves Diet Coke to the extent he has a magic "Bring Me A Diet Coke" button on his desk right next to the button that blows up the world. God help us if he ever gets thirsty and confused.

So he now has two very compelling reasons to protect America from the ravages and death of this disease:

(1) Stock marktet tanking

(2) Diet Coke shortage

Also, "Americas dying" is somewhere on that list, I'm sure. But I just wanted to cover the main motivators for the man who holds the most powerful office in the world and has lots of resources at the ready to fight this disease.

by Anonymousreply 140February 29, 2020 3:08 PM

Continued

When Wuhan started to be locked down, that’s when my dad had me quarantine myself at home. I also knew from watching movies and things that we should probably stock up on food at home, so we bought a bunch of instant noodles, which no one ended up eating. There was enough at the supermarket; the only thing we really couldn’t find was disinfectants.

My father is an office worker at a drug company and my mom went to school at a medical university, so they were good with helping analyse my situation. I started to self-isolate on 22 January. My room has its own tub and bathroom, so it is pretty convenient. My grandma did the cooking for me and when she brought food in, she would wear a mask and we’d use disposable chopsticks and things like that, so after I was done that all got thrown out.

‘The worst time’ On 25 January I had a checkup. I had begun to cough. It was a very dry cough with a little yellow phlegm. The results showed that my situation was worsening, with the infection spreading to my entire lungs. The doctor gave me an IV drip, while the oral medicine remained the same. At the time the doctor told me I was suspected of having the virus, but that only an expert committee could decide who would be able to use the testing kit.

By 26 January getting up had become extremely difficult and I was shivering with cold. I felt I was having a high fever, and I was: 39C. Reports later said that the situation could develop extremely fast in the middle stage, but before I knew it, by that evening the fever was gone. It felt like having been to hell and back. That period from 21 January to the 26th was the worst time. I coughed so bad my stomach was hurting and my back ached. Those were some of the worst days in my life.

by Anonymousreply 141February 29, 2020 3:09 PM

I wonder if the relatively low numbers being reported in the US have to do with there not being enough test kits available? Also, people who have milder cases may not be seeking medical attention. Otherwise, I can’t see why it would spread so much faster in Italy and S Korea than here. I suspect the numbers are about to explode when a reliable test finally becomes available.

by Anonymousreply 142February 29, 2020 3:39 PM

[105] To freeze eggs break them into a bowl mix in salt or sugar depending what you will use them for. Salt for savory sugar for cakes and such. Pour even all its in zip lock bags out in freezer. To thaw put bag in bowl of warm water.

by Anonymousreply 143February 29, 2020 4:15 PM

I don’t know whether it was this thread or another one, but someone was talking about wanting to stock up on eggs, but was afraid they don't last that long.

They last a pretty long time. When my aunt had chickens she used to give me sometimes 20-dozen eggs and they stayed fresh in my refrigerator for around 3 months, not counting how long she had been storing them (weeks, I'm guessing). I never had a bad one.

by Anonymousreply 144February 29, 2020 4:21 PM

Fresh eggs last because they are not washed. Another trick for preserving eggs is coat them in vasaline.

by Anonymousreply 145February 29, 2020 4:23 PM

Well then buy a damn laying hen.

by Anonymousreply 146February 29, 2020 4:28 PM

MSNBC just reporting first US death of the virus.

by Anonymousreply 147February 29, 2020 5:16 PM

It was in Washington state.

by Anonymousreply 148February 29, 2020 5:17 PM

It was the 19 year old that died.

by Anonymousreply 149February 29, 2020 5:31 PM

Well folks we’re now only down to 15 sick. Seems to me like it’s going away.

by Anonymousreply 150February 29, 2020 5:34 PM

R147: thé virus has died in the U.S.? Finally some good news!

by Anonymousreply 151February 29, 2020 5:34 PM

Panic buying on Sunday. Market fucking tanks Monday.

by Anonymousreply 152February 29, 2020 5:34 PM

lol, r150.

by Anonymousreply 153February 29, 2020 5:39 PM

This press conference is SO STUPID.

Just let Fauci and the experts speak.

by Anonymousreply 154February 29, 2020 6:07 PM

Now they are saying it was not woman and not the 19 year old.

by Anonymousreply 155February 29, 2020 6:11 PM

Trump seems really sad he has to deliver bad news. Michelle Pence is also a sad robot.

by Anonymousreply 156February 29, 2020 6:12 PM

Here's a link to the live conference.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157February 29, 2020 6:13 PM

Go on with your lives, risk is low, blah, blah, blah.

by Anonymousreply 158February 29, 2020 6:20 PM

Everything with Trump is how great he’s done so far. Everything with Pence is how great Trump’s leadership is. Has there even been a VP that is a sycophant to this level?

by Anonymousreply 159February 29, 2020 6:21 PM

Just finished some prepping at Costco. It was the busiest I’ve ever seen it, including holidays. Everyone was sort of cheerfully strained, trying to keep it jokey and light but getting down to business. It looked like there were extra employees who seemed overwhelmed. Everything was in stock, but many things were low, like flu meds, acetaminophen, etc. Gloves, bleach, wipes, etc were all stocked. Foods were stocked, rice was low-ish, pasta, sauce, etc were there. I was there just as the store opened, there were people waiting. I would say about half were seriously prepping, the other half seemed blithely unaware and were doing their regular shopping.

My regular grocery store seemed kind of slow actually, but there were definitely shelves being emptied, canned goods - both fruit and vegetables, legumes, beans, cereals, oats, basically everything that could be stored.

I have to say it was disturbing to be doing this. It didn’t feel like normal storm preparation which always feels sort of vacation-like. This was purposeful with a tinge of worry. Everyone was fine, but a bit pressed and pushy. I think in a couple of weeks if deaths pickup in the US and the spread worsens, it’s going to get the tiniest bit ugly. Oh, cops and two ambulances showed up at Costco as I was leaving, I’m assuming a heart attack or panic attack.

I think I got about 3/4 of what I need for maybe two months?

by Anonymousreply 160February 29, 2020 6:22 PM

Fauci confirms that people at most risk of serious complications from the disease are Dataloungers. The be-prepared threads are warranted.

by Anonymousreply 161February 29, 2020 6:27 PM

Costco, WA state.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162February 29, 2020 6:30 PM

"Oh, cops and two ambulances showed up at Costco as I was leaving, I’m assuming a heart attack or panic attack."

I'd assume someone choked while horking down a 600 calorie hot dog, R160.

by Anonymousreply 163February 29, 2020 6:38 PM

R159 I wish someone would smash Pence's face in.

by Anonymousreply 164February 29, 2020 6:42 PM

Good work closing the barn door after the horse has bolted.

by Anonymousreply 165February 29, 2020 6:43 PM

Panic buying today. The parking lot at Sams is like Christmas. Most people have been polite and smiling but now they’re fighting over parking.

Reminders: buy phone charging cords, socks and underwear if you need them, light bulbs, Advil and Tylenol, batteries. All made in China. Advil is 95% China. And Sams Members Mark brand long grain white rice was not replenished last night. They’re out. Now selling more expensive jasmine and basmati rice. If you want cheaper rice, go buy it while they still have it. Sam’s isn’t even pretending now. End caps full of pallets of tuna and Spam. Looks like they might be out of low sodium Spam, that goes first.

Keep checking your gas tank, and fill up early if you can. Long lines at the pump.

I just got to Costco now. This is worse than Christmas. Lot is full.

by Anonymousreply 166February 29, 2020 6:44 PM

Costco in Portland is a madhouse too. My neighborhood store was quiet except for the staff who were openly coughing and wheezing

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 167February 29, 2020 6:48 PM

that press conference was ridiculous. You could tell that everyone of them was told to praise Trump and how well he has been handling this virus. It was all about him.

In the future when someone says that someone is a narcissist they will Always picture Trump first.

by Anonymousreply 168February 29, 2020 6:49 PM

Went to Sam's Club and a grocery store. It's a nice day so both were less busy than a typical Saturday. Only thing I noticed a shortage of was hand sanitizer.

by Anonymousreply 169February 29, 2020 6:50 PM

Seems there's confusion about whether it was the young man or the middle-aged woman that died in Washington.

by Anonymousreply 170February 29, 2020 6:51 PM

It'd be helpful if people giving their panic-buying mob reports would specify where they live.

by Anonymousreply 171February 29, 2020 6:52 PM

First death in the US from Coronavirus

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172February 29, 2020 7:02 PM

R170, thats why we use links here at this site and have for 20 years.

Learn how to post a link to backup your claim .

it cuts down on made up crap that comes from people’s imagination.

by Anonymousreply 173February 29, 2020 7:07 PM

If only R163.

by Anonymousreply 174February 29, 2020 7:17 PM

I’m in NY.

by Anonymousreply 175February 29, 2020 7:20 PM

Didn’t Trump’s administration fly back infected passengers along with other passengers? And that was after it took them a long time to pull Americans off of cruise ships? Just parading a bunch of people saying how great he has done does not make it so!

by Anonymousreply 176February 29, 2020 7:38 PM

R172 This is a sign of the U.S.'s weak health care system and infrastructure. It's expensive for the average American to get tested for the Coronavirus because the U.S. doesn't have Universal Health like other First World countries. I could see a lot of Americans who would avoid getting tested because they simply couldn't afford it.

Russia is smart to close its border to China. Russia only has 5 cases in comparison to the U.S.'s 68 cases. Russia also has no deaths. All countries should close their borders to China.

by Anonymousreply 177February 29, 2020 7:40 PM

R177, Putin controls the messaging and I doubt that we can expect the numbers to be true. I’m not saying they have more cases, I’m just saying that we will not know how many cases there really are.

by Anonymousreply 178February 29, 2020 7:45 PM

R177 *Universal Health Care*

by Anonymousreply 179February 29, 2020 7:45 PM

Priceless DM Comment in Response to Trump's Press Conference today - Sat, Feb 20 on Coronavirus:

{bold}Don not hard to see that health would or should be of some concern to you. This woman had excellent medical care and was 20 years younger than you. No big except if YOUR wife husband children mother father any loved ones are counted in that number. At 3.42% death rate that is MORE than 1 in 50. The actual flu is nothing like that. Care to shake hands with quarantined then released survivors Don and total dismissers?

by Anonymousreply 180February 29, 2020 7:46 PM

Priceless DM Comment in Response to Trump's Press Conference today - Sat, Feb 20 on Coronavirus:

[bold]Don not hard to see that health would or should be of some concern to you. This woman had excellent medical care and was 20 years younger than you. No big except if YOUR wife husband children mother father any loved ones are counted in that number. At 3.42% death rate that is MORE than 1 in 50. The actual flu is nothing like that. Care to shake hands with quarantined then released survivors Don and total dismissers?

by Anonymousreply 181February 29, 2020 7:47 PM

AP: President Donald Trump described the Washington corona victim as being a woman in her late 50s and having a high medical risk. He said healthy Americans should be able to recover if they contract the new virus.

Washington Gov. Inslee said in a statement the person who died was a man from Washington state, but then issued another one removing the gender and describing the individual as “a Washingtonian.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 182February 29, 2020 7:48 PM

Maybe they were trans r182

by Anonymousreply 183February 29, 2020 7:53 PM

Obviously you can't post links if you are hearing it on TV and that is why I post what station I was watching. Supposedly there is a news conference from Washington state at the top of the hour and there should be a clarification of who died.

by Anonymousreply 184February 29, 2020 7:57 PM

2 of the cases are associated with the Life Care Center in Kirkland which provides skilled nursing for the elderly. If it sweeps through that whole facility, the people there are screwed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 185February 29, 2020 8:02 PM

BBC Seoul correspondent Laura Bicker:

In Daegu, 1900 Shincheonji Church members have been tested for coronavirus.

1300 had symptoms & 600 did not.

Among those 1300 with symptoms, 87.5% were confirmed with the virus .

BUT out of the 600 WITHOUT symptoms, 70% were confirmed with coronavirus.

by Anonymousreply 186February 29, 2020 8:08 PM

CNN Now - News conference providing tips. Transmission associated with this long term care facility. More handwashing. Not going to work or school if sick. If kids are dismissed from school, who can watch them? Social distancing. Have medications at home. Have foods you like handy so you don't have to go out and interact. People who are at risk are elderly, over 65 and have underlying chronic conditions, pregnant women, people with weakened immune systems. Hand washing, not being around ill people.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 187February 29, 2020 8:10 PM

Holy shit, r186. Those are horrible numbers.

by Anonymousreply 188February 29, 2020 8:12 PM

In France we've reached 100 cases, 9 of them serious. 3 hospital workers are contaminated, 200 are quarantined, the ICU where the man died is closed down... Half marathon is cancelled, as are all gatherings over 5000 people. This is going really fast.

by Anonymousreply 189February 29, 2020 8:14 PM

R166 here. I’m in Las Vegas.

Got out of Costco which was a madhouse, no parking, employees grim. Bunch of workers called in sick. It was intimated that this was to avoid stocking heavy loads all day long. Two young girls were doing it and bitching about how all the men called in sick.

by Anonymousreply 190February 29, 2020 8:15 PM

The majority of Chinese people live in poverty with very poor hygiene and no running water. Some of them resort to poaching wild animals in order to survive. The health care infrastructure is also very poor where the infected patients are put in the same room as the uninfected patients. The middle class and rich are the minority in China. China is definitely not a super power when it can't take care of the basic needs of its general population.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191February 29, 2020 8:15 PM

Increasingly the rich and the middle class are in the minority here too

by Anonymousreply 192February 29, 2020 8:19 PM

A couple in their 60's in rural Kansas-- should they stay home? I missed the conference, asking for my parents.

by Anonymousreply 193February 29, 2020 8:20 PM

It was a man in his 50's that died in Washington state, which is confusing. Didn't they have only two people with the coronavirus, a woman and a 19 year old male?

by Anonymousreply 194February 29, 2020 8:21 PM

R186, that shows you how NOT dangerous it is.

Meanwhile, after two months, only ONE death in the US, and a 97% recovery rate worldwide.

by Anonymousreply 195February 29, 2020 8:22 PM

Trump said the woman was in her 50s (the one who died). Is this the teacher? Maybe she was a fat and has diabetes and heart problems esp if obese.

by Anonymousreply 196February 29, 2020 8:22 PM

R194, that was my understanding as well

by Anonymousreply 197February 29, 2020 8:23 PM

R194, that was my understanding as well

by Anonymousreply 198February 29, 2020 8:23 PM

Did NYC get results yet from CDC? they're supposed to get the results today. I just came back from running errands in Manhattan and the supermarket is normal for weekends. nothing too crazy.

I did stop by CVS and ask the if you need a prescription for pneumonia shot and the answer is YES if you are under 65 years old.

by Anonymousreply 199February 29, 2020 8:25 PM

K5 News in Seattle: The person who died was a man in his 50s with underlying health conditions, according to Dr. Jeff Duchin with Public Health Seattle & King County. The man had no history of travel or known contact with anyone suffering from COVID-19.

The man was tested at EvergreenHealth in Kirkland where he was admitted with “serious respiratory issues,” according to EvergreenHealth officials. There is a second patient that also tested positive who is now in isolation and receiving treatment, according to officials.

by Anonymousreply 200February 29, 2020 8:26 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 201February 29, 2020 8:28 PM

r193 - [bold]News conference providing tips. Transmission associated with this long term care facility. More handwashing. Not going to work or school if sick. If kids are dismissed from school, who can watch them? Social distancing. Have medications at home. Have foods you like handy so you don't have to go out and interact. People who are at risk are elderly, over 65 and have underlying chronic conditions, pregnant women, people with weakened immune systems. Hand washing, not being around ill people[bold].

I tried to capture the essence of what the person was saying during the interview. I didn't get his name, organization he was representing. It was about the long term care facility. He was very serious and what I got out of it (as per quote above), is to minimize all interactions (banking, shopping, medical routine care, eating, travel, etc etc). Like I say, he was very serious so that's why I thought it important to transcribe as best I can. It's a heck of a lot clearer than Pence's limp advice to Americans today at Trump Press Conference. At the Trump press conference, it was more like "carry on, nothing to see here, low risk, can alter your life, have to live your life." Opposite of what CNN guy was saying this afternoon (hours after Trump press conference).

by Anonymousreply 202February 29, 2020 8:28 PM

CNN-Senior administration official blames CDC director for Trump and Pence saying victim was woman

“Dr. (Robert) Redfield briefed the VP and POTUS after speaking with Washington State health officials that it was a woman. Washington State has since corrected," the official said.

CNN Health is reaching out to the CDC for reaction.

by Anonymousreply 203February 29, 2020 8:29 PM

So, Trump couldn't even get the gender correct.

Drip, drip, drip...

by Anonymousreply 204February 29, 2020 8:29 PM

Apologies for the bold thoroughout. Bold was only meant for quote above. Not my comments (below).

- r202

by Anonymousreply 205February 29, 2020 8:29 PM

cnn-10% of coronavirus cases in Lombardy involve medical personnel, Italian officials say

by Anonymousreply 206February 29, 2020 8:30 PM

You could tell it really pained Trump to say there were 22 patients, and even that is an understatement of the total number of known cases. It’s going to be really hard for him to keep having to go up and say there are more and more cases, and that he is still going great. They really don’t get it.

by Anonymousreply 207February 29, 2020 8:30 PM

Andrew Cuomo @NYGovCuomo · 4h BREAKING: When I spoke to @VP , I urged him to approve New York State’s #coronavirus test — we just received word that our test has been approved by the FDA

This will expedite wait time and improve NY’s ability to more effectively manage the coronavirus situation as it unfolds.

New York State’s Wadsworth Lab will begin testing immediately.

by Anonymousreply 208February 29, 2020 8:34 PM

I can't wait for the Democratic candidate to replay tapes of trump saying this is nothing and people should turn off their tvs. Also he initially said it was very, very close to being contained even though very little testing had been done due to the fact that he dismantled Obama's pandemic department.

by Anonymousreply 209February 29, 2020 8:36 PM

I liked Trumps speech. He’s letting the experts handle it - he was right that we closed air travel out of China before everyone else. I’m sure that helped things initially

by Anonymousreply 210February 29, 2020 8:38 PM

Man, if the political show were on the other foot and a Dem were in the WH, the mind reels to think what the Repugs would make of this fustercluck.

by Anonymousreply 211February 29, 2020 8:38 PM

I noticed something actually kind of strange at that press conference r207. It was a momentary, very fleeting mental "fog" as Trump stood at the podium articulating hard facts relating to the virus spread. He looked "not there", or "not wanting to be there." I can't explain it very well but he was definitely disengaged intellectually. He also gave an extremely garabled, non-responsive response to a question at the end of the conference. When asked if he as POTUS meeting people, shaking hands, etc was actually safe himself. Trump goes up to the podium and gives the most unconvincing response babbling on about "Well, I was in India, we were all in India (smirking, chuckling) and we're fine. All of us are are safe." End of response. The End.

by Anonymousreply 212February 29, 2020 8:38 PM

He was fine 212.

by Anonymousreply 213February 29, 2020 8:41 PM

Are any of these people known bat-fuckers?

by Anonymousreply 214February 29, 2020 8:42 PM

[quote]He looked "not there", or "not wanting to be there."

He always looks like that when he's not talking about himself.

by Anonymousreply 215February 29, 2020 8:43 PM

But he said she was a wonderful woman. Lol. He was going into some detail about her bending a wonderful person and was medically at risk etc...

Lol he made it all up?

It was Muller or the impeachment that took him out. Let’s hope it’s this.

by Anonymousreply 216February 29, 2020 8:44 PM

Thanks R202.

by Anonymousreply 217February 29, 2020 8:44 PM

So true, r215. Good point!

by Anonymousreply 218February 29, 2020 8:45 PM

Spanish Flu 1918:

The World Health Organization estimates that 2–3% of those who were infected died (case-fatality ratio).[51] It is estimated that approximately 30 million were killed by the flu, or about 1.7% of the world population died.[52] Other estimates range from 17 to 55 million fatalities

by Anonymousreply 219February 29, 2020 8:46 PM

[quote]You may be home for a couple weeks or even a month or two depending on how bad things get. You can't order GrubHub every night, or get a pizza.

GrubHub? If the situation is bad enough that people are confined to their homes for weeks or months, it's safe to say restaurants will not just be operating as usual.

by Anonymousreply 220February 29, 2020 8:46 PM

First case of coronavirus confirmed in Ireland.

The National Public Health Emergency Team said that the case “is associated with travel from an affected area in northern Italy, rather than contact with another confirmed case.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 221February 29, 2020 8:53 PM

[quote]Apologies for the bold thoroughout. Bold was only meant for quote above. Not my comments (below).

N00B! Pink belly for the n00b!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 222February 29, 2020 8:55 PM

Latin America: 4 cases now In Mexico, 1 in Ecuador, and 2 in Brazil

All are connected to recent visits to Spain and Italy

by Anonymousreply 223February 29, 2020 8:56 PM

From CNN

The number of coronavirus cases in Italy climbed by 307 on Saturday, with 1,128 diagnoses of the virus confirmed, civil protection officials say.

Fifty-two percent of the cases are in house isolation, said the head of the Civil Protection Department, Angelo Borrelli. Another 101 people are in intensive care units, and 401 people are hospitalized with mild symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 224February 29, 2020 9:07 PM

“She was a wonderful woman...”

by Anonymousreply 225February 29, 2020 9:34 PM

Bloomberg:

Washington State Is Investigating Potential Outbreak at Facility

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 226February 29, 2020 9:34 PM

Uh, newsflash R219: There were no treatments, no antivirals, no antibiotics in 2018. And not much common sense.

Sheesh...

by Anonymousreply 227February 29, 2020 9:40 PM

It’s like a freight train in the distance, coming towards you as sure as sunrise. I don’t wish the virus would come, but the waiting is nerve-racking.

by Anonymousreply 228February 29, 2020 9:44 PM

[quote] Uh, newsflash [R219]: There were no treatments, no antivirals, no antibiotics in 2018. And not much common sense.

(You mean 1918.) I'm also hoping the incredible strides in computers, tracking, and communication will be in our favor today. But against us are the incredible strides in travel of the population all over the world.

by Anonymousreply 229February 29, 2020 9:48 PM

Chicago, Costco, about a quarter of carts had stacks of TP, water, batteries. I thought there would be more preppers, frankly. If you’re gonna panic, panic early!

by Anonymousreply 230February 29, 2020 9:51 PM

[quote] R105: We eat a lot of eggs and I don't think you can freeze them. So while I can buy extra, I cant get them too far in advance.

I haven’t tried to keep eggs for a long time, but in Europe, they don’t sell them refrigerated. I learned on DataLounge that in the US, the sellers wash off the natural protection that allows “farm fresh eggs” to sit at room temperature. In any event, I think they last a very long time in the refrigerator. At least a month. Maybe six weeks.

Sometimes I make scrambled eggs and refrigerate them. They are not at all as good as freshly made, but they last a long time and just need to be zapped with a little water so they are quick with no clean-up.

by Anonymousreply 231February 29, 2020 9:51 PM

Good analogy, r228. And the train is moving some days slow, v-e-r-y slow, fast, even faster, super fast - you never know from one day to the next. It's like waking up to a nightmare. I don't remember since I've been alive having felt this helpless. I mean apart from the usual macro economic disasters that impact us all, I do not recall ever feeling so threatened, helpless and vulnerable.

by Anonymousreply 232February 29, 2020 9:51 PM

[quote] R108: But what is going on here atm is just insane, nothing but sheer panicking.

I’ve been saying to stock up, not so much because of the virus, but because the stores will be emptied by your panicking neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 233February 29, 2020 9:54 PM

I don’t really think there is going to be panic at the stores. It would have already happened. I’m predicting that some people will build up a little here and there but i would have thought today would be Armageddon. not seeing any reports of empty stores.

It’s a bit like musical chairs except that a lot of people don’t know they are playing it.

by Anonymousreply 234February 29, 2020 9:58 PM

I sure don't envy anyone that works retail. Just imagine the number of people they come into contact with on a daily bases.

by Anonymousreply 235February 29, 2020 10:00 PM

For those prepping, don't forget your pets! Food, cat litter, meds, whatever else your pet may need.

Speaking of meds, be sure your prescriptions are up to date and filled.

by Anonymousreply 236February 29, 2020 10:02 PM

I am fascinated by this counter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 237February 29, 2020 10:02 PM

You can buy a hundred eggs, crack and bake one per hole in a muffin pan, then freeze the baked eggs. If you have bacon, cheese, and english muffins in the freezer, you can eat one homemade bacon, egg and cheese mcmuffin every day for 100 days, (or ten per day for ten days).

by Anonymousreply 238February 29, 2020 10:07 PM

🤞 I'm in Pennsylvania, and still no reported cases in our state.

At least none that we know of ...........

by Anonymousreply 239February 29, 2020 10:07 PM

R237

It sucks.

Morbid fascination.

The dead woman man in WA sparked a little scare.

If the Pope dies, ugh.

by Anonymousreply 240February 29, 2020 10:07 PM

[quote] If the Pope dies, ugh.

r240, Wait. What? What's with Pope Francis? Is it believed he's contracted the virus?

by Anonymousreply 241February 29, 2020 10:13 PM

Dr. Joseph Fair on MSNBC is a hottie-pottottie.

by Anonymousreply 242February 29, 2020 10:17 PM

We'll get through this:

"In February 1957, a new influenza A (H2N2) virus emerged in East Asia, triggering a pandemic (“Asian Flu”). This H2N2 virus was comprised of three different genes from an H2N2 virus that originated from an avian influenza A virus, including the H2 hemagglutinin and the N2 neuraminidase genes."

" It was first reported in Singapore in February 1957, Hong Kong in April 1957, and in coastal cities in the United States in summer 1957."

" The estimated number of deaths was 1.1 million worldwide and 116,000 in the United States."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 243February 29, 2020 10:20 PM

Della...pft. It's like you just now joined us in the last mile of the bataan death march.

Don't you know? The Pope was photographed blowing his nose. Then he called in sick the next day.

by Anonymousreply 244February 29, 2020 10:20 PM

My experience in an isolation unit:

Years ago, I had a bad cough, the kind that keeps you up at night and feels like your lungs will come out. After weeks, I finally went to the ER. They didn’t do anything for me and the diagnosis on the paperwork was a single word, “cough”, the cunts.

Two weeks later I went back. This time I told them I was coughing up blood, which was true. Not gushing with blood, but smears of red within mucus. Because of the blood and my history of working with Indians years earlier, they were afraid of TB, so they put me in the isolation unit for 5 days. That’s the time it takes for the test to come back.

It had double doors with an entrance hall between. You had to close one door before opening the other. It was at negative pressure so that the hospital air flowed in, and not out of the room. People had to wear masks and gloves to enter, and were told not to touch me, except as necessary. It was a teaching hospital so they once brought a gaggle of medical students in. I could see by their eyes that the ones in the back of the gaggle were clearly horrified. I imagined they were pharmacy or cosmetic doctors in training, who never thought they’d see a sick person, lol.

It turned into pneumonia and I almost died, so it was a good thing I was there, but the TB test was negative.

Now, if I ever need to go to the ER with flu-like symptoms, I tell them that that story and say that they almost killed me by turning me away, and I’m not leaving without treatment. I’ve done that once in the last decade.

by Anonymousreply 245February 29, 2020 10:22 PM

Did he take a fistful of Quaaludes before his news conference? What the fuck is he talking about? He's still trying to bullshit his way through by downplaying the outbreak, and talking as though everyone will be cured within three days or less. I hate this lying fuck.

by Anonymousreply 246February 29, 2020 10:22 PM

Antibiotics don’t work on viruses either. They may work on the complications, but they may not. Not a lot is known about this virus.

by Anonymousreply 247February 29, 2020 10:25 PM

We're touched by your kind expression of sympathy, r196.

by Anonymousreply 248February 29, 2020 10:28 PM

Oh.

Thank You, r244.

by Anonymousreply 249February 29, 2020 10:28 PM

If it wasn't for Pelosi, Schumer,and other Dems, we wouldn't know what the hell was going on.

by Anonymousreply 250February 29, 2020 10:32 PM

Useless cunts CDC didn't even know the ID of the person who died. They can't make tests kits, can't tell if it's a man or a woman. how fucking inept!

CNN-CDC director tweets that agency "erroneously identified" Washington coronavirus patient who died

Dr. Robert Redfield, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, tweeted that the agency gave incorrect information about the Washington coronavirus patient who died to President Trump and Vice President Mike Pence on Saturday.

by Anonymousreply 251February 29, 2020 10:44 PM

For those who didn't catch the story .......

Despite practically the entire country of Italy being on lockdown, the Pope announced that Ash Wednesday services would go on as scheduled. This coming from the man who doesn't like to shake hands with the commoners! During the Lenten service, he was coughing and wiping his nose with the blessed Papal handkerchief that perfectly complimented his white Papal vestments. I'm wondering if he actually participated in the distribution of ashes and communion, or if he left that to the underlings?

I didn't once see his holy highness use hand sanitizer on those germ laden paws.

by Anonymousreply 252February 29, 2020 10:49 PM

People keep saying to stock up on your prescription meds, but how? My insurance will let me get 3 months at a time for my one med, but I was recently put on another med for my thyroid and they only let it be filled every 30 days. I have another 2 weeks before I can fill it. I guess it won't be the death of me if I must go without.

by Anonymousreply 253February 29, 2020 10:54 PM

Does the Vatican have a "Designated Survivor" ?

by Anonymousreply 254February 29, 2020 10:54 PM

R237 Its like looking at the Olympic Games score board.

by Anonymousreply 255February 29, 2020 10:54 PM

One of the community-spread cases is in my city. A local school parent was exposed, which led to the two offspring of said parent being quarantined. If they were contagious and symptomatic there are potentially 3,000 youthful germ vectors around.

I'm just waiting for COVID-19 to spread through the mobs at the local Costco.

by Anonymousreply 256February 29, 2020 10:55 PM

I was wondering about that, too, r253.

We'll probably need a letter of permission from Mike Pence in order to get early refills.

by Anonymousreply 257February 29, 2020 10:58 PM

Well I spent all day shoppin! I have enough frozen pizzas, Campbell Soups, cigarettes, several gallon jugs of milk I put in the freezer and even spray cheese and 3 big boxes of Ritz Crackers!

I am READY!

by Anonymousreply 258February 29, 2020 10:58 PM

27 people at the Kirkland nursing home and 25 health workers there have symptoms. Apparently, the firefighters weren't wearing the correct protection to transfer the corona patient and now they are all being quarantined. Looks to be a shit show.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 259February 29, 2020 11:10 PM

I'm stocked with ground beef, tomato puree, Italian cheeses, lots of pasta, and ice cream.

I'll be feasting on pasta & meatballs, and lasagna with meat sauce.

[italic] Tuo Tavola Alla Mangiare

by Anonymousreply 260February 29, 2020 11:13 PM

Impressive. But what is "spray cheese" r258?

by Anonymousreply 261February 29, 2020 11:15 PM

I think some of you fatties are just using this crisis to gorge yourselves.

by Anonymousreply 262February 29, 2020 11:22 PM

This is spray cheese r261

It’s pure white trash, but oh so delicious

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 263February 29, 2020 11:25 PM

I suggest we give the virus what it wants and maybe it’ll leave us alone.

by Anonymousreply 264February 29, 2020 11:37 PM

Thanks to this thread and previous, I’ve been stocking up since Freakout 5 or 6. At that time, NOTHING in the media was as good as DL experts' posts about the nature of SARS-CoV-19, the virus, or the illness it produced.

Fatalism has set in, sort of. You do what you can and hope for the best.

by Anonymousreply 265February 29, 2020 11:39 PM

If you're going to log out, then put out on living food !

by Anonymousreply 266February 29, 2020 11:40 PM

That looks disgusting r263. That said, I bought Velveeta today.

by Anonymousreply 267February 29, 2020 11:42 PM

Report from Upper East Side Chinese restaurant: the place is PACKED. People eating in, taking out, not a mask anywhere.

Looking forward to my Singapore mei fun!

by Anonymousreply 268February 29, 2020 11:42 PM

Well that's a relief. I think my Panda Express is going out of business.

by Anonymousreply 269February 29, 2020 11:43 PM

Aww, r222, it’s horseplay! Cute soldier.

by Anonymousreply 270February 29, 2020 11:46 PM

CNN-Northern California county reports fourth case of coronavirus

A fourth case of novel coronavirus was reported in Santa Clara County, California, according to the county's Public Health Department.

The case involves an adult woman who was in contact with another coronavirus patient in the county, the department said in statement on Saturday. She is not ill or hospitalized and is isolated at home, the statement said.

Some background: The first case of coronavirus in Santa Clara County was reported on January 31. The patient was released from isolation on February 20, the statement said.

The second coronavirus case was confirmed on February 2. That person remains in home isolation, according to the statement.

The third case was reported February 28, and that individual is currently hospitalized.

by Anonymousreply 271February 29, 2020 11:47 PM

[quote] R193: A couple in their 60's in rural Kansas-- should they stay home? I missed the conference, asking for my parents.

Nothing’s guaranteed, but if there are no infections reported nearby, they should be fine for now. If they are a “health” 60s, I don’t think they’ll have higher risk. It’s like infirm elderly. Later, things will change, though.

by Anonymousreply 272February 29, 2020 11:51 PM

costco in sunnyvale, CA. found the video on twitter.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 273March 1, 2020 12:01 AM

Have you ever noticed that no matter what floor of spray cheese you choose, they all taste alike? And may I say [italic] DELICIOUS !

by Anonymousreply 274March 1, 2020 12:02 AM

^^^ Make that "flavor."

Damn you, spell check. Damn you straight to hell!

by Anonymousreply 275March 1, 2020 12:03 AM

[quote] R245: Does the Vatican have a "Designated Survivor" ?

No. They go without Popes when one dies, until the next is elected. He is elected in a conclave of all cardinals under the age of 80. That could be a problem as the live and eat together and sleep in a dormitory is close proximity.

Fun fact: in the Middle Ages sometime, the cardinals were meeting to elect a new pope. They were boozing it up, having huge feasts, and having a great time. So great, that they didn’t elect a new pope for three years! Finally, the king of France locked them all up until they came to a decision. That is what started the custom of sparse dorm rooms, plain meals, and no booze during the conclave.

by Anonymousreply 276March 1, 2020 12:06 AM

If Pope Francis dies, could Pope Sidious return to the papacy?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 277March 1, 2020 12:10 AM

lol, r264. You reminded me of telemovie "The Storm of the Century".

The mysterious monster guy would write to the townspeople he was terrorizing, "Give me what I want and I'll go away."

by Anonymousreply 278March 1, 2020 12:14 AM

First death due to coronavirus now reported in Australia.

by Anonymousreply 279March 1, 2020 12:22 AM

I don't intend to be disrespectful. I really don't. That said, could someone explain to me the reason Catholics believe an elected male human is their "Holy Father?" I don't understand the papacy. Any Catholics care to enlighten me. Incidentally, I hope the Pope is virus free.

by Anonymousreply 280March 1, 2020 12:23 AM

Corona is officially "The Storm of the Century"

by Anonymousreply 281March 1, 2020 12:25 AM

It's just a title, r280.

Like "President of the United States."

To some it may mean something, to others it doesn't.

by Anonymousreply 282March 1, 2020 12:29 AM

R261 / r267

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 283March 1, 2020 12:33 AM

I think it's obvious this didn't start in Wuhan. It has probably been spreading around for months.

by Anonymousreply 284March 1, 2020 12:40 AM

[quote] R277: If Pope Francis dies, could Pope Sidious return to the papacy?

The Pope is the bishop of Rome. The Pope sets policy and gives direction. But both Rome and the Church can run themselves. Remember the old Pope resigned, so he doesn’t want the job. I’ve heard a rumour that he has dementia.

by Anonymousreply 285March 1, 2020 12:41 AM

[277] he is too old and is healt is poor but in tehory the conclave could reelect him there have been already in the past pope who have served twice

by Anonymousreply 286March 1, 2020 12:48 AM

[quote] R280: I don't intend to be disrespectful. I really don't. That said, could someone explain to me the reason Catholics believe an elected male human is their "Holy Father?" I don't understand the papacy. Any Catholics care to enlighten me. Incidentally, I hope the Pope is virus free.

This should really be its own thread, but briefly, all Priests are call “Father”, as in “Father O’Malley”. So the Pope already a father. Nuns are usually called Sister, but I recently heard there is actually a distinction between the two. I don’t know. The leader of a Convent or women’s order is called “Mother Superior”. The Church also has Brothers, who are not ordained Priests and cannot say Mass. Monks are usually Priests. All in the Family of Christ.

Jesus chose Peter to lead the Church. “Peter, you are a rock of a man, and on this rock, I will build my Church.” Originally, there was competition between the major Christian cities (Rome, Antioch,, Alexandrea, and Constantinople). I don’t know how they chose Rome, but the Eastern Orthodox Church lead by the Primate of Constantinople broke away because of it, at least in part. Maybe because the other two cities later fell to the infidel Muslims.

The .Pope used to essentially the King of the Papal States, which at times were a substantial part of Italy. Cardinals are still called “Princes of the Church”. The Pope is elected after thoughtful prayer, since they don’t procreate like Kings.

by Anonymousreply 287March 1, 2020 1:04 AM

“She was a wonderful woman. Her eyes were so blue that day...”

by Anonymousreply 288March 1, 2020 1:11 AM

“This beautiful, wonderful woman. She was medically challenged, but a quality woman. She was a wonderful, high-quality woman. She will be missed...”

by Anonymousreply 289March 1, 2020 1:12 AM

The Pope is the Capo Di Tutti Capi of the Catholic Church.

by Anonymousreply 290March 1, 2020 1:16 AM

Chilean writer Luis Sepúlveda was diagnosed with the corona virus today. He had participated in a Literary event in Portugal just a few days ago. As of today there are still no registered cases in Portugal so far, with several patients who tested negative. Authorities have identified 20 people who have been in contact with the writer and his wife, and they are now in isolation waiting to be tested.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 291March 1, 2020 1:25 AM

Just to state the obvious, this thing is unprecedented! It’s amazing and ought to make the [italic] “Things that are Awesome” [/italic] thread.

by Anonymousreply 292March 1, 2020 1:28 AM

I had a dental appointment yesterday, and my dentist said that they only have two boxes of masks left. The distributor doesn’t know when they will be able to get more, and he doesn’t know what to do. It’s unprecedented.

by Anonymousreply 293March 1, 2020 1:30 AM

I just found I have a 2 week supply of Nitazoxanide which is effective against MERS-CoV. I went to my indian pharmacy to see if I could order the malaria hydroxychloroquine but of course it's out of stock.

by Anonymousreply 294March 1, 2020 1:46 AM

I bought a case of 100% cranberry juice. Not sugary. Wow that was expensive. I guess I'll have expensive pee. I treated myself to very expensive varieties of organic green tea. I ordered skullcap too but it didn't arrive yet. I bought a bunch of vitamins E and C. A box of xl surgical gloves. Couple bottles of bleach and vinegar. A bottle of Mugler Aura EDP so I can smell sweet while I'm rotting to death with WuFlu.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 295March 1, 2020 1:52 AM

Sometimes you can get a Rx filled early if you pay cash, if you can.

by Anonymousreply 296March 1, 2020 1:53 AM

I don't take prescription drugs, but my dog takes a prescription eye drop. Ordered it yesterday and usually they have it filled the same day. I called today and they said it would be filled later today and they would call me. Got a call from the pharmacist saying they were low on one of the compounds and will have it refilled on Monday. Not hopeful.

by Anonymousreply 297March 1, 2020 1:57 AM

R293, what city is your dentist in? I checked the Home Depot website. It sounds like they’re out of stock online, but have limited masks in stores. He might have no choice but to physically go shopping for existing stock.

A couple of other places he could try, medical supply houses online or retail stores across from the hospital. Even if they’re on backorder, he should put in an order or ask them to call him. Since he’s a dentist, maybe they’d try to prioritize him over random people.

Lowe’s, Ace Hardware, Sherwin Williams, Benjamin Moore, any high end paint store nobody ever goes to. The higher end the better. He could maybe call the local carpenter’s union and see if they have some idea where the painters are getting their masks.

by Anonymousreply 298March 1, 2020 1:57 AM

R293, Costco’s website says they have N95s. Tell him to put in an order right away. Costco, Walmart and Sams gave year long contracts. They are probably getting priority over some other companies because of their size

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299March 1, 2020 2:00 AM

You do realize there are people that are in a panic R298? Good luck thinking they will just supply this dentist out of thousands that are probably in the same predicament.

by Anonymousreply 300March 1, 2020 2:00 AM

The CDC is pretty much telling people to stop buying the fucking mask. The mask are not going to protect you. Those that are infected need to be wearing the mask.

by Anonymousreply 301March 1, 2020 2:03 AM

Yeah, the surgeon general indicates a problem when the general public buy up all the face masks and leave health care professionals mask-less:

[quote]The Surgeon General Has a Message: “STOP BUYING MASKS!”

[quote] It seems the surgeon general has had it. And he has a simple request for Americans: Stop buying face masks. He was so serious about that message that he wrote it in all caps. “Seriously people,” Surgeon General Jerome Adams wrote on Twitter, “STOP BUYING MASKS!” Adams went on to note that masks are “NOT effective” for the general public and the demand from those who don’t need it puts healthcare providers at risk.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 302March 1, 2020 2:07 AM

Dentists have to be protected from a lot more things than Coronavirus, so I think he might get priority. It’s possible. Even people that discourage people from wearing a mask aren’t going to discourage a dentist, because people may have blood spatter. Most people aren’t dealing with that in their work.

What he really needs to do is get on the phone himself. It’s one thing when it’s a random person or salesman, it’s another when it’s somebody with a legitimate use. Dentists need masks all the time, not just now.

by Anonymousreply 303March 1, 2020 2:07 AM

R299 That's a link to the "COSTO" online store, not "COSTCO." From a quick google search, sounds like "COSTO" is a scam website.

by Anonymousreply 304March 1, 2020 2:08 AM

The masks are effective if you're going to be forced into crowds filled with infected people. Obviously the number one is wash hands and not touch mouth and eyes but please, it would be criminal to force people into contact with the sick without masks. Which is what Trump did to the workers who greeted the cruise ship evacuees.

People making public pronouncements are playing games, including the Surgeon General.

I know, maybe the government should get its FUCKING SHIT TOGETHER and produce a lot more masks and testing kits.

by Anonymousreply 305March 1, 2020 2:27 AM

And where did you get your degree and a degree in what from R305?

by Anonymousreply 306March 1, 2020 2:30 AM

[italic] One small germ for man

Many small germs for mankind

by Anonymousreply 307March 1, 2020 2:31 AM

If trump hadn't axed the pandemic unit of the CDC they would have been stocked with masks and they would have had skilled personnel to actually be able to make the test kits. Now they are passing out bad information. So many people with the virus do not show symptoms so none of us know if we are healthy or not. We should all be wearing masks.

by Anonymousreply 308March 1, 2020 2:31 AM

Stop with the mask BS R308.

by Anonymousreply 309March 1, 2020 2:33 AM

Master Public Health, Institut Pasteur. They are passing out bad info because they don't have the supplies AND the public is too dump to figure out which masks and how to work masks into the other behaviours necessary. People are idiots. They are trying to avert panic. Masks make sense and it was immoral to send workers without the to help with the sick, for example.

by Anonymousreply 310March 1, 2020 2:35 AM

R235 wins for the most idiotic, nonsensically fear-based response of this thread.

by Anonymousreply 311March 1, 2020 2:35 AM

too dumb. scuse I can't type well on my phone.

by Anonymousreply 312March 1, 2020 2:36 AM

You are an idiot R311.

by Anonymousreply 313March 1, 2020 2:38 AM

UPDATE :

DEATHS : 2,979

CASES : 86,992

Almost 2,000 new cases in the past 24 hours

by Anonymousreply 314March 1, 2020 2:38 AM

Even Euro footballers are smart enough to wear them. USA has a shithole public health sector, and Trump had the NERVE to say Italy wasn't up to snuff. Good luck. Trump will sell you all out in a desperate gambit to save the markets.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 315March 1, 2020 2:40 AM

I want to know how it feels to be infected. I've seen symptoms listed, but how does it progress? What have its victims said?

by Anonymousreply 316March 1, 2020 2:40 AM

a short article by a chinese guy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 317March 1, 2020 2:43 AM

Don’t dentists have those clear shields they wear? Wouldn’t that be one layer of protection?

by Anonymousreply 318March 1, 2020 2:43 AM

There is a rumour that Chinese Coronavirus patients were cremated alive.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 319March 1, 2020 2:59 AM

Panic! At the Costco!

Humble submission for part X.

by Anonymousreply 320March 1, 2020 3:04 AM

They are telling the public not to buy masks as they want the masks for the medical staff and probably their own family members as there is already a shortage. you are stupid if you listen to CDC who can't even make proper test kits. I wonder who is at the wheel.

If you are going into crowded area, yes, wear something. or on a plane. if not, no need.

by Anonymousreply 321March 1, 2020 3:06 AM

R316

The majority of affected individuals appear to be asymptomatic.

If so, great news!

If not, fuck...

by Anonymousreply 322March 1, 2020 3:07 AM

A Wuhan resident reveals hospitals discharge unrecovered Coronavirus patients.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 323March 1, 2020 3:07 AM

R253, if it's levothyroxine you're taking, it usually isn't too bad if you choose to pay cash. Rite Aid has it for15.99 (if I remember right) for a 90 day supply with their discount card. Not sure about other pharmacies.

by Anonymousreply 324March 1, 2020 3:08 AM

R253, if it's levothyroxine you're taking, it usually isn't too bad if you choose to pay cash. Rite Aid has it for15.99 (if I remember right) for a 90 day supply with their discount card. Not sure about other pharmacies.

by Anonymousreply 325March 1, 2020 3:10 AM

Everybody in my office came down with a severe respiratory illness in Dec. The doctors said it was a cold,l and nobody died, but it knocked people out like no cold ever has. I think maybe a pandemic has been identified that has already been around for awhile.

by Anonymousreply 326March 1, 2020 3:12 AM

I hope they publicize it repeatedly that Trump was cutting funding. His newest budget cuts it further. He has a fool’s idea of saving money. He spends big on the really big items, like the Military, and skimps on the small stuff, like the CDC. It doesn’t make any cost savings of significance. Next he’ll go for foreign aid, another tiny part of the budget.

I heard someone describe the budget as a medical plan with an army. The rest is a tiny part of the budget. One example is that Russia has one, poorly funded aircraft carrier. The US has fourteen. Carriers require a whole fleet of support ships, btw.

by Anonymousreply 327March 1, 2020 3:21 AM

Without levothyroxine I slow top like a top. Literally picking a pen off the floor was almost impossible. I couldn’t drive home from PTown so I paid a guy to drive me and take the ferry back.

by Anonymousreply 328March 1, 2020 3:44 AM

^i meant “I slow down like a top“, the spinning kind, not the sexy kind.

by Anonymousreply 329March 1, 2020 3:48 AM

R319 and R323 has videos produced by NTD, a part of Falun Gong, the Shen Yun people. They are rabidly anti-Chinese government. Take that as you will. I just believe that the enemy of my enemy is not necessarily my friend, or the friend of actual facts.

by Anonymousreply 330March 1, 2020 4:06 AM

When do you think it will start spreading in NYC? I’d like opinions. My guess is just a week.

by Anonymousreply 331March 1, 2020 6:51 AM

Meanwhile, in the UK, our genius government's genius plan for dealing with the virus is to bring retired NHS workers out of retirement to help deal with it. The most vulnerable cohort of the population age-wise are going to be asked to put themselves on the firing line. I'm quite sure they are going to lining up to volunteer. I despair.

by Anonymousreply 332March 1, 2020 7:23 AM

THE SKY IS FALLING!!!!

by Anonymousreply 333March 1, 2020 7:30 AM

This virus is just too tricky and infectious. Everything being done now is just delaying the virus until either it weakens with the summer weather or a vaccine is developed. Wuhan is still adding hundreds more new cases a day after more than a month under quarantine. Most of these cases are in early stage of illness, and the patients can recover with early treatment, but the daily new cases have to drop in number before there is even an end in sight!

by Anonymousreply 334March 1, 2020 8:08 AM

The things is I don't think there have been many 'community transmissions' in the tropical areas or the Southern Hemisphere. The virus may not be as virulent in warmer weather. Though Hong Kong & Singapore have had about 90 cases each (though a number of them were 'imported') so I don't know. Always far less people live in the Southern Hemisphere.

The morality rate may also not be as high as it seems because lots of people may be getting the virus and getting no symptoms whatsoever but everyone who does get sick getting sick at the same time completely screws up an countries health system. Them of them can cope with the growing numbers.

by Anonymousreply 335March 1, 2020 8:15 AM

From the Guardian. I suspect there are thousands upon thousands of infected people in Iran rather than the hundreds that are officially reported

32m ago 08:44

Kuwait has confirmed a new case of coronavirus infection, bringing the total number of people diagnosed with the disease in the country to 46, a health ministry official told a press conference on Sunday, Reuters reports.

The majority of the cases, including the one identified in the past 24 hours, are either people who had travelled to Iran or been in contact with people who were there, the official said.

by Anonymousreply 336March 1, 2020 8:20 AM

Here in the U.S. as well. I’m guessing around 1000 infected if someone is already dead.

by Anonymousreply 337March 1, 2020 8:49 AM

8 min ago

South Korea's death toll reaches 18, with 3,736 cases

From CNN’s Yoonjung Seo in Seoul

South Korea's Centers for Disease Control and Prevention announced 586 new coronavirus cases on Sunday, bringing the country’s total to 3,736.

Authorities also reported one new fatality, following the 17 people who had previously died.

by Anonymousreply 338March 1, 2020 9:12 AM

R336 I believe the unofficial number of 200 deaths in Iran, that would mean around 10 000 infected if death rate is the same as China.

by Anonymousreply 339March 1, 2020 9:16 AM

I'm guessing this week we'll be hearing of new cases as more testing is available throughout the country

I'm actually surprised we didn't hear more today even with the primary going on

by Anonymousreply 340March 1, 2020 9:20 AM

Unfortunately, many Americans are sitting ducks thanks to the way the administration is handling this issue. Despite the travel bans and advisories, they have done little to prepare the country for the onslaught. Mixed messages to the public, inadequate testing, unprepared medical staff, insufficient screenings, the list goes on and on. Sadly, most Americans are simply not prepared for what's coming

by Anonymousreply 341March 1, 2020 9:20 AM

England...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 342March 1, 2020 9:23 AM

Just saw a story on CNN at a fast food place in China. An employee screens every guest before entry with a thermometer. Orders are placed at a kiosk with a mobile phone so no money is exchanged which reduces the likelihood of contamination . After each order an employee wipes down each kiosk before the next person uses it. Finally the order is delivered in a sealed bag with the temperature of the food preparer indicated on the package. Is America ready for this???

by Anonymousreply 343March 1, 2020 9:33 AM

I find myself fighting off despair over this virus, and opening a bottle of Châteauneuf du Pape at 4:00 (AM). I think I would feel remarkably better about all this if I were much younger, the US had better test kits, and if there wasn't such a phenomenon as ADE. I've survived so many things, but how can people feel confident about a virus which has an even better advantage the second time around?

There have been two noteworthy cases wherein the patients have been re-infected. One is being studied in Japan, yet I forget where the other is.

by Anonymousreply 344March 1, 2020 9:58 AM

r335, It's peak summer here in New Zealand and we've just had our first case. I'll expect it will make its way down the country very soon.

I honestly don't think the warm weather will have much effect, there are too many places people gather and no-one here realises how easily it transmits.

by Anonymousreply 345March 1, 2020 10:02 AM

A second case has been confirmed here in Belgium. A woman who returned from vacation in France

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 346March 1, 2020 10:08 AM

R345 However, New Zealand's one case is 'imported'.

I honestly don't know why Australia and New Zealand haven't looked down their borders to some degree.

No foreign nationals and only allow foreign nationals to return home but place them into quarantine no matter where they have come from. Sure it will hurt the economy but sitting back and letting the virus into both countries will not only cause the needless deaths of how many people but will hurt the economy even more.

Economically I actual don't expect the world the recover from this for years and years.

by Anonymousreply 347March 1, 2020 11:38 AM

You know, I think me and my sisters already had it. We got sick over Christmas and it was awful.Massive headache, like a sinus headache, chills fever, dry cough, nasal drip and sneezing and eventual lung congestion. Did I say cough? Because the coughing was so severe itdroveusnuts.It was non stop.I lost 6 pounds.

Now all of this happened instages. Started with the headache and muscle aches and a slight fever, and the tickle in the throat. Then the throat was burning and the coughing starts. And the doctor was dismissing it as a sinus infection. Nothing stopped the cough. Once it started it was horrible. I started getting sick the late November, but it lasted until the end of January. I think a lot of people it was the flu or sinuses and it was corona.

by Anonymousreply 348March 1, 2020 12:31 PM

"I honestly don't know why Australia and New Zealand haven't looked down their borders to some degree."

I'm not sure this is even possible in this day and age. Thousands of people entering the country every day via plane or ship as tourists, for work etc. Every country in the world relies on products and food being delivered constantly. Closing the borders and cutting of the supply chain will tank the whole economy and I doubt any country besides North Korea maybe is prepared to provide even basic goods like bread, water or meds for more than a week for its citizens.

by Anonymousreply 349March 1, 2020 12:39 PM

r327 Trump keeps putting money into the military because he sees them as his protectors. He thinks they always have to do everything he says and he thinks this is how he will take over control. The military is always in the forefront of any dictatorship.

by Anonymousreply 350March 1, 2020 12:58 PM

[quote]There have been two noteworthy cases wherein the patients have been re-infected. One is being studied in Japan, yet I forget where the other is.

Dr. Fauci said reinfection is not possible at yesterday's press conference. I don't know if he knows something we don't or he's just trying to allay fears.

by Anonymousreply 351March 1, 2020 1:00 PM

Pence is on State of the Union right now. Same bullshit. Risk for Americans is very low. The president did what no president has ever done before. CDC is doing an amazing job. Bla bla bla.

by Anonymousreply 352March 1, 2020 1:10 PM

From the Guardian

32m ago 13:44

12 new UK cases confirmed, taking total in country to 35 The number of confirmed cases in the UK has leaped by 12 to 35.

by Anonymousreply 353March 1, 2020 1:17 PM

From the Guardian. A woman from the Diamond Princess who tested negative for the virus last week has tested positive again. I would stay well clear of "cured" people until we find out more about this virus

50m ago 13:27

David and Sally Abel, the British passengers who caught coronavirus on the Diamond Princess cruise ship docked off Yokohama, are still being treated in an isolation unit in a Japanese hospital.

In a video update on Sunday, they said they were recovering well, but Sally said she had tested positive again for the virus, after testing negative last week.

by Anonymousreply 354March 1, 2020 1:23 PM

120 cases in Germany already.

by Anonymousreply 355March 1, 2020 1:27 PM

More details about the 12 new cases in the UK. 6 of the 12 recently traveled to Italy and 2 of 12 recently traveled to Iran. With more and more cases linked to Italy and Iran, it seems that the situation in these countries is much worse than currently stated

25 min ago

A dozen more coronavirus cases reported in England From CNN's Sharon Braithwaite

Twelve more cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in England, Chief Medical Officer Dr. Chris Whitty said in a statement Sunday.

The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the United Kingdom has risen to 35, following previously reported confirmed cases in England, Northern Ireland and Wales.

“Three patients were close contacts of a known case, transmitted in the UK, identified as part of contact tracing,” Whitty said. “One patient, resident in Essex, had no relevant travel and it is not yet clear whether they contracted it directly or indirectly from an individual who had recently returned from abroad. Investigations are ongoing."

Of the remaining eight cases, six had recently traveled from Italy and two from Iran.

by Anonymousreply 356March 1, 2020 1:35 PM

CNN-A dozen more coronavirus cases reported in England

Twelve more cases of coronavirus have been confirmed in England, Chief Medical Officer Dr. Chris Whitty said in a statement Sunday.

The number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the United Kingdom has risen to 35, following previously reported confirmed cases in England, Northern Ireland and Wales.

“Three patients were close contacts of a known case, transmitted in the UK, identified as part of contact tracing,” Whitty said. “One patient, resident in Essex, had no relevant travel and it is not yet clear whether they contracted it directly or indirectly from an individual who had recently returned from abroad. Investigations are ongoing."

Of the remaining eight cases, six had recently traveled from Italy and two from Iran.

by Anonymousreply 357March 1, 2020 1:35 PM

cnn-Trump announces new coronavirus screening procedures in US

The President said in a tweet that people will be screened for coronavirus upon arriving in the US if they are traveling from high-risk countries.

Trump announced Saturday that the countries where some increased screening for passengers leaving from to the US would include Italy, South Korea and Iran in addition to China.

It is not clear what passengers will receive this increased screening. CNN has asked the White House for more information.

by Anonymousreply 358March 1, 2020 1:36 PM

CNN-French official advises against kissing due to coronavirus fears

A French official has advised against a long-time French tradition -- cheek kissing -- over coronavirus fears.

"Reduction of physical social contact is recommended. This includes "la bise," French health minister Olivier Véran told reporters on Saturday in Paris.

Véran also said people should avoid handshakes as well.

What is "la bise"? The tradition of planting an kiss on a person’s cheek multiple times, is a well-known French greeting.

by Anonymousreply 359March 1, 2020 1:37 PM

CNN-Greece confirms 3 new cases

CNN-South Korea's death toll reaches 18, with 3,736 cases

by Anonymousreply 360March 1, 2020 1:38 PM

Coronavirus death toll in Iran climbs to 54 From CNN’s Anastasia Graham-Yooll in London

The number of people who have died from the coronavirus in Iran has risen to 54, Iran's Health Ministry said on Sunday, according to state media.

Speaking to reporters in Tehran, Health Ministry spokesman Kianoush Jahanpour said 978 people have been infected by the virus so far, with 385 new cases detected since Saturday, Iran’s state news agency Mehr reports.

There are 175 infected people who have recovered and been dismissed from hospitals, Jahanpour added.

Iran has temporarily shut down schools and has cancelled all public gatherings to help curb the disease, according to IRNA state news agency.

by Anonymousreply 361March 1, 2020 1:39 PM

CNN-There are usually 35,000 runners in the Tokyo Marathon. Today there were 300

The Tokyo Marathon is usually one of Japan's biggest sporting events of the year, attracting up to 35,000 participants and 10,000 volunteers.

However this year, there were just 300 elite runners allowed, and about 600 volunteers, as coronavirus fears swept through the region.

The streets were empty and quiet, devoid of the cheering crowds that would typically pack the sidewalks. The few runners that passed by were applauded only by a handful of people on the sidelines. The marathon's typical festive, energetic atmosphere was nowhere to be found.

by Anonymousreply 362March 1, 2020 1:40 PM

Trump is full of shit. What does screening even mean? Temperature? This isn't reliable at all. Pence just admitted on CNN they're still working on a reliable test and doesn't have a concrete timeline when they will be available everywhere. I think he said something about shipping them soon.

by Anonymousreply 363March 1, 2020 1:41 PM

CNN-Sweden, Germany, Norway and Croatia report new coronavirus cases

Now, a mere eight days later, Italy has 1,128 cases and 29 deaths.

by Anonymousreply 364March 1, 2020 1:41 PM

From the Guardian. South Korea death toll increases to 21

7m ago 14:33

South Korea has reported four more coronavirus deaths in the southeastern city of Daegu, bringing the country’s death toll to 21, the Yonap news agency reports.

South Korea has 3,736 confirmed cases of the disease.

by Anonymousreply 365March 1, 2020 1:43 PM

r363, it's the fucking CDC, they have been trying to make test kits for 1 fucking month and they cannot! only tested like 500 cases. Meanwhile S. Korea are testing thousands every day...WTF is the CDC doing? They are useless cunts and they briefed Trump and VP about the 1st death in the USA, told them it was a woman instead of a man. They are really clueless, how can we trust them with anything?

by Anonymousreply 366March 1, 2020 1:44 PM

via twitter:Costco stores are flooded with customers buying health care items in bulk as fears of the coronavirus outbreak spread across the U.S.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 367March 1, 2020 1:48 PM

I agree with you. We can not trust the CDC or even the WHO, which seems to be getting pressure to avoid calling this a pandemic even though there are cases in every continent except Antarctica! I suspect US pressure is the reason for this play on words

by Anonymousreply 368March 1, 2020 1:48 PM

We still don't know what the incubation period is.

by Anonymousreply 369March 1, 2020 1:50 PM

^Well, but what do you expect if you fire key people, cut funding and even dissolve the pandemic task force because our genius president thought none of this was necessary? Now they are even no longer allowed to speak to the media and public.

The WHO is evil though. Looks like their top priority is not public safety and saving lives but instead their only priority is not disrupting the global economy and supply.

by Anonymousreply 370March 1, 2020 1:56 PM

"We still don't know what the incubation period is."

Yes, because China didn't allow foreign scientists in the country who could have helped them weeks or even months ago with all of this.

by Anonymousreply 371March 1, 2020 1:58 PM

Trump tried to cut CDC Budget but according to abc news:

" In fact, all of Trump’s budget proposals have called for cuts to CDC funding, but Congress has intervened each time by passing spending bills with year-over-year increases for the CDC that Trump then signed into law."

so they actually have more money but just fucking useless.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 372March 1, 2020 2:04 PM

Under pressure from BANKERS, R370.

In this, as always, follow the money.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 373March 1, 2020 2:08 PM

NJ patient tests negative for coronavirus — Tri-state area still has no confirmed cases

New Jersey’s only suspected coronavirus patient has tested negative, leaving no confirmed cases of the deadly virus in the East Coast by early Sunday.

The Jersey patient had been in isolation at the Bayshore Medical Center in Holmdel, Monmouth County when the good news was announced, NJ.com reported.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 374March 1, 2020 2:09 PM

The lone New York City patient being monitored this week for possible coronavirus infection tested negative for the disease Saturday, a health official told The Post.

The good news means that as of Saturday, the city currently has no coronavirus patients and no patients being monitored as possibly infected.

All eight New York City patients who have been tested for the coronavirus as a precaution have now tested negative, a city official said.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 375March 1, 2020 2:10 PM

I knew a girl who went to China in December and came back to Washington and then got bit by a rabid dog that also was infected with the corona and she didn't tell anyone about being in China because she also ate dog there.

And then she died.

by Anonymousreply 376March 1, 2020 2:11 PM

R359 This is going to be hard to stop. I mean it's practically an automatic behaviour when saying hi.

by Anonymousreply 377March 1, 2020 2:30 PM

㊙️ I'm giving up Chinese food for Lent.

And possibly for a lifetime.

by Anonymousreply 378March 1, 2020 2:31 PM

In the US, you can replace the knives with guns. Things can get ugly real fast here if this virus explodes

9 min ago - CNN

Chinese man sentenced to death for killing two officials at coronavirus checkpoint From Chermaine Lee in Hong Kong

A Chinese man has been sentenced to death for killing two health officials at a coronavirus traffic check point in Yunnan province, according to a statement by the Yunnan provincial government.

The man drove a small van to the checkpoint and refused to follow instructions by the staff. Another passenger in the van got off and tried to remove a road block, despite warnings from staff members at the check point.

When one of the staffers started recording the incident as “evidence,” the driver of the van “felt dissatisfied” with the recording and started stabbing the staffer with a pocket knife in the chest and abdomen, according to the statement.

The man then moved on to stab the abdomen of another staff member at the checkpoint who came up to intervene. Both staff members died.

by Anonymousreply 379March 1, 2020 2:32 PM

Wondering how many people are skipping Sunday church services this morning?

by Anonymousreply 380March 1, 2020 2:34 PM

R380 My parents went this morning (In France). There was the same amount of people and they still shook hands and kissed people on the cheek when doing the sign of peace.

by Anonymousreply 381March 1, 2020 2:42 PM

Thanks, r283. Just about to have lunch.

by Anonymousreply 382March 1, 2020 2:43 PM

More about the cases in France

The health authorities in France have announced the number of confirmed coronavirus cases in the country has jumped to 100 as the government took measures to limit the spread of the virus.

Of the reported cases so far, two people have died, 86 are in hospital - nine of whom are in a “serious” condition - and 12 people have recovered.

The number of contaminations has leapt in France from 38 on Friday. Three health workers at a Paris hospital have tested positive for the coronavirus, as well as a firefighter in Rennes. In the Haute-Savoie region, where there has been a cluster of cases thought to have originated from a person who had returned from northern Italy , the mayor of La Balme-de-Sillingy, François Daviet announced he had tested positive.

by Anonymousreply 383March 1, 2020 2:47 PM

Oh no. Now the USPS has corona.

Next it will be UPS and Amazon Contract Drivers.

Will they sanitize the packages?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 384March 1, 2020 2:48 PM

R381 I feel the same way about them as I do about the African villagers who refuse to give up their traditional burial practices even during an Ebola outbreak.

by Anonymousreply 385March 1, 2020 2:51 PM

Lets say only 33% of the public gets COVID-19, over time, instead of a majority soon. Lets say it only being serious symptoms to the point of requiring medical equipment and attention to even survive, for 5-10% of the infected population instead of the considered 20%. Lets say that the death rate of the infected is absolutely less than 1%, instead of the possible 2%, 3% or much more - in the speculation that lack of medical attention brings more death.

Even in this case, I'm getting the sense that it would heavily strain even the best healthcare systems, and possible break any of the others. So a city has 1 million people: it would still need to support up to tens of thousands of patients or concerned citizens needing more attention, and it could still lead to up to thousands of deaths from overburdened hospitals. Containment is meant to slow this down. Then quarrantine is meant to slow it down further. Then triage, and prioritizing certain areas. And this is the better layman (me) outlook on a highly populated region. Flu deaths per year here in Canada are in the thousands, and in USA they're in the tens of thousands, but this coronavirus at least appears to have the potential to kill anywhere in the thousands to hundreds of thousands or more (depending on society breakdown scenarios) in Canada in just the next year, and tens of thousands up to millions in USA.

I think authorities are being honest enough in hoping they can stem any spread until warmer months, that these months help the situation as better plans are implemented, and we go through a tough 'season' after that while all efforts are put towards vaccines. In that case, the affected regions get little more damage than the seasonal flu itself, and there are plenty of unaffected regions. But there's enough signs of alarm that more doomy possibilities could be real. At the best, this is just tough time that we're getting eased into by the government. At the worst, I'm not ruling out an extreme worldwide plague where everyone knows someone who either got highly sick (I'm hoping for this) or died (mind can barely wrap around this).

With more data we can determine whether the infection is really destined to go everywhere or if it can be slowed and subsided by the climate, whether the severe rate is really 1/5 infected or if that's just a testing bias, and whether the death rate is really in the 1s% (depending on national healthare) or if it can be driven down.

I still feel things are normal enough around me that I'll at least pretend that it'll all be fine. But I'm getting enough alarm from what authorities are actually *doing*, that I'm going to have likely obsessive levels of attention on this subject.

The good news is that if you're younger and have no particular health problems, you're almost always okay, though you're a spreader. That so-far rules out apocalypses. People will survive, people can work, people can fill towns and cities and not drop like flies from this illness directly. You can also most likely survive on more extreme cases, even if old and/or infirm, if rushed to (expensive) treatment asap. But that doesn't help if the system is too overburdened, the economy heads though recessionary or even depression territory, and the social contracts and rule of law we have degrades into survival mode. We're getting all sorts of supposed reports out of Iran that its disintegrating pretty fast, but that's also the perfect storm of unrest and harmful propaganda, and the reports are often unoffical and maybe slanderous (is the video of someone collapsing legitimate, or is it a years old copy from something unrelated? Is that social media shared rush on a local marketplace real, or is it happening for some totally other reason?). When a nation states only 5 deaths, is it really 50 or 500? When a nation states 200 deaths, is it really thousands or headed for tens of thousands. The exponential scenarios can only be proven in China so far, and we only have official information that implies their containment worked, but are they telling the truth?

by Anonymousreply 386March 1, 2020 3:07 PM

I think the media as ever needs to be restrained in the language it uses. Words like jumps when reporting increases aren’t helpful. The cases increased to 100 shares the same Information as cases jumped to 100, with less drama. And drama stokes fears.

Part of me loves this thread for the excitement and part of me is thinking reading posts about prepping for zombie apocalypse is not doing much for my beautiful mind. I think you guys are winding yourselves up in a situation that is concerning enough. I’m not saying stop I’m just trying to be one voice that says think about what you’re doing to yourselves. I’m out. Take care.

by Anonymousreply 387March 1, 2020 3:36 PM

Some disturbing news from the director of the Infectious Diseases Center at the Osaka-based Rinku General Medical Center. He says that COVID-19 can be fatal in immunodeficient patients — transplant patients or those undergoing treatment for HIV — “because the adaptive immune system is missing.”

Obviously, more detailed studies need to be conducted on this subject but I have been worried about this since the news broke about the virus

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 388March 1, 2020 3:41 PM

[quote] prepping for zombie apocalypse is not doing much for my beautiful mind

Then you're not doing it right, my friend, R387.

by Anonymousreply 389March 1, 2020 3:44 PM

Coronavirus Cold Open - SNL

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 390March 1, 2020 3:45 PM

I'm surprised Japan hasn't reported more cases. I've been following the Reddit travel page for Japan to see if I should cancel my trip in 3.5 weeks. Most people going around the same time as me say they will only cancel if a Level 3 travel advisory is reported for Japan.

by Anonymousreply 391March 1, 2020 3:46 PM

WSJ: Rhode Island health officials confirmed the state's first case of coronavirus on Sunday, signaling a widening spread of the virus a day after the first death in the U.S. was reported in Washington state.

by Anonymousreply 392March 1, 2020 3:56 PM

Live updates: Coronavirus was probably spreading for six weeks in Washington state, study says; first deaths confirmed in U.S., Australia and Thailand

The novel coronavirus has probably been spreading undetected for about six weeks in Washington state, where the first U.S. death from covid-19 was reported this weekend. A genetic analysis of the virus from a newly diagnosed patient in Snohomish County closely matched that of a specimen from the first known coronavirus patient in the United States, who traveled from China in January.

The evidence overwhelmingly suggests that these cases are linked through community transmission, researchers say, and that this has been going on for weeks, with hundreds of infections likely.

Officials in the Seattle area announced two cases related to a possible outbreak at a long-term nursing home, Life Care Center in Kirkland. The elderly are considered to be especially vulnerable to infection. One patient is a health-care worker in her 40s who was in satisfactory condition, according to state health officials. The other, a resident in her 70s, is in serious condition.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 393March 1, 2020 4:04 PM

Well, at least this has provided me with plenty of material for an awesome short story I’m currently writing, and it might not be as short of a story as I had originally planned.

Hmmmm...

by Anonymousreply 394March 1, 2020 4:07 PM

R387 I do agree about media restraint. As much as everyone here loves to trash Trump - his job as a leader is to try and keep the public calm. So I find nothing wrong with his press conference yesterday. He did his job, regardless if you like his terminology or not. Panic creates fear. A public in fear can cause chaos.

by Anonymousreply 395March 1, 2020 4:11 PM

CNN: Trump is expected to visit the CDC this week

Administration officials weighed having Trump visit the CDC weeks ago, but he never followed through on the initial plans. It’s unclear if Vice President Mike Pence, who was recently placed in charge of the administration’s response, will join him on the trip.

by Anonymousreply 396March 1, 2020 4:14 PM

The Louvre remains closed Sunday amid coronavirus concerns

The Louvre will remain closed amid novel coronavirus concerns, a statement given to CNN Sunday said.

The landmark museum offers free entry every first Sunday of the month. France has 100 confirmed cases of coronavirus.

by Anonymousreply 397March 1, 2020 4:15 PM

Scary news from Italy. From the Reuters

30m ago 17:15

The number of confirmed cases in Italy has risen to almost 1,700, and the death toll has increased by five to 34, Reuters reports.

There were 1,128 cases and 29 death as of last night.

This is the largest jump the spread of the virus in one day, Sky News says.

by Anonymousreply 398March 1, 2020 4:47 PM

R398 because they refuse to close their borders, dumb fucking Italians.

And they continue to go to church and kiss everyone...

the pope is ognna die. They are reporting that he has a "cold"..

by Anonymousreply 399March 1, 2020 4:49 PM

[quote]A public in fear can cause chaos.

Yes, those soothing tones and downplayed scenarios by Trump sure helped calm the markets last week, r395.

by Anonymousreply 400March 1, 2020 4:56 PM

R395 - it has zero to do with the markets - the markets are reacting to uncertainty - of manufacturing, consumer spending etc. Not Trumps "tone"

by Anonymousreply 401March 1, 2020 5:02 PM

"because they refuse to close their borders, dumb fucking Italians."

And what would that change, you fucking dumbass ? The virus is already there. It's not a question of closing fucking borders at this point, is it ?

by Anonymousreply 402March 1, 2020 5:05 PM

[R399] also several European/Western countries were slow to react to the spike in cases that started on 22 February in terms of travel restrictions and advisories. Some still are. Not sure why this is the case. Everyone needs to wake up about the growing danger there before it is too late

by Anonymousreply 403March 1, 2020 5:07 PM

How long before we have some freaked out psycho who is infected, and decides to deliberately and knowingly pass it on to as many people as possible.

Maybe it's already happening.

by Anonymousreply 404March 1, 2020 5:08 PM

we won't know how infected the US is until more fucking testing is available. For now Trump and repubs/repub media can claim it's not out of control. I expect the number of cases to go up throughout the week

by Anonymousreply 405March 1, 2020 5:13 PM

we won't know how infected the US is until more fucking testing is available. For now Trump and repubs/repub media can claim it's not out of control. I expect the number of cases to go up throughout the week

by Anonymousreply 406March 1, 2020 5:13 PM

28m ago 17:45

First case confirmed in the Dominican Republic The Dominican Republic has confirmed its first case of coronavirus – a tourist visiting the country from Italy.

The patient is a 62-year-old man, who is in a stable condition. He has been taken to an isolation room in a military hospital near the capital, the country’s health minister, Rafael Sanchez, said at a press conference.

Another tourist, a 56-year-old man from France, is under observation at hospital and awaiting test results for coronavirus.

On Friday, the Dominican Republic cancelled all flights from Milan for 30 days. The government also said that all travellers retuning from Italy would have to undergo epidemiological reviews at airports

by Anonymousreply 407March 1, 2020 5:16 PM

yes. I read that CA only has 200 test kits! What a fucking shit show! Whoever is in charge of making those useless test kits has to be fired. He is costing lives with the delay. The expert on CNN was saying that it's been here for at least 6 wks, the testing was delayed for 2 wks from CDC coz the guy (who died) didn't go to China and all kinds of other BS.

This is unacceptable, USA is better than this and Trump hasn't made america great again, only weakened the usa.

I wonder if any of the candidates are afraid to go shake hands now...most of them are so fucking old.

by Anonymousreply 408March 1, 2020 5:20 PM

it seems the Italians are infecting people internationally more than the Chinese!

by Anonymousreply 409March 1, 2020 5:22 PM

US Surgeon General begs people to ‘STOP BUYING MASKS!’ amid coronavirus panic

“Seriously people- STOP BUYING MASKS!” US Surgeon General Dr. Jerome Adams complained Saturday on Twitter.

“They are NOT effective in preventing general public from catching #Coronavirus, but if healthcare providers can’t get them to care for sick patients, it puts them and our communities at risk!”

Adams insisted that “everyday preventive actions” were the “best way to protect yourself,” listing “staying home when you are sick and washing hands with soap and water” and seeking help if you are sick.

“Get your #FluShot- fewer flu patients = more resources for #COVID19,” he said of wanting to be able to prioritize the new virus that experts warn could become a pandemic.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410March 1, 2020 5:24 PM

"The novel coronavirus has probably been spreading undetected for about six weeks in Washington state, where the first U.S. death from covid-19 was reported this weekend."

If only there was a way to test people, like in South Korea for example. A testing kit for this virus would be so great and helpful. Being the greatest country in world, number 1 at everything and all that.

But I guess you need a functioning administration and rral leader for this and not a fucking orange reality TV assclown in charge.

by Anonymousreply 411March 1, 2020 5:28 PM

The CDC and the administration is complicit in having the disease spread without administering testing kits to those who are showing symptoms. Absolutely, disgusting criminal behavior to hide the numbers of people infected in order not to effect the markets and his re-election.

by Anonymousreply 412March 1, 2020 5:29 PM

Israeli scientists claim to be weeks away from coronavirus vaccine

Amid fears of a looming pandemic, scientists in the US and across the globe are scrambling to develop vaccines – including in Israel, where one group of researchers says it could be ready in just three weeks and available for use within 90 days.

The scientists at the Galilee Research Institute, known as MIGAL, are adapting its vaccine against the avian coronavirus infectious bronchitis virus, or IBV, to work for the novel coronavirus known as COVID-19, the Jerusalem Post reported.

“Congratulations to MIGAL on this exciting breakthrough. I am confident that there will be further rapid progress, enabling us to provide a needed response to the grave global COVID-19 threat,” said Ofir Akunis, Israel’s minister of science and technology.

The independent research institute, which specializes in the fields of biotechnology, environmental sciences and agriculture, says on its website that its team “includes 80 PhDs and a total of 260 researchers” at 53 labs.Its vaccine for IBV, a bronchial illness that affects poultry, has already been proven in preclinical trials conducted at Israel’s Veterinary Institute, according to the news outlet.

“Our basic concept was to develop the technology and not specifically a vaccine for this kind or that kind of virus,” said Dr. Chen Katz, MIGAL’s biotech group chief.

“The scientific framework for the vaccine is based on a new protein expression vector, which forms and secretes a chimeric soluble protein that delivers the viral antigen into mucosal tissues by self-activated endocytosis, causing the body to form antibodies against the virus,” he added.

Endocytosis is the process in which substances are brought into cells by surrounding the material with membranes that form vesicles containing the ingested material.

“All we need to do is adjust the system to the new sequence,” he said. “We are in the middle of this process, and hopefully in a few weeks we will have the vaccine in our hands. Yes, in a few weeks, if it all works, we would have a vaccine to prevent coronavirus.”

The oral vaccine will have to go through a regulatory process, including clinical trials, he noted.

MIGAL CEO David Zigdon said the vaccine could “achieve safety approval in 90 days,” according to the Jerusalem Post.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 413March 1, 2020 5:30 PM

Meanwhile, Israeli company BATM said Thursday it has developed a quick diagnostic kit to test for the coronavirus — and that production was underway at a facility in Rome owned by Adaltis, which produces medical testing devices, the Times of Israel reported.

by Anonymousreply 414March 1, 2020 5:33 PM

These assholes are purposely trying to suppress the numbers by not testing those who are showing symptoms.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 415March 1, 2020 5:37 PM

30% increase in France relative to yesterday. Not good at all

Cases in France reach 130 The number of cases in France has increased to 130, the head of the public health service has said.

by Anonymousreply 416March 1, 2020 5:38 PM

it's obvious South Korea has diagnosed so many cases because there's so much testing. I bet once the US gets more testing kits the numbers will go up too

about the Israeli vaccine...it has to go through clinical trials. Dr. Fauci said the other day a vaccine wouldn't be ready for at least another year. How it could be so much faster in Israel?

by Anonymousreply 417March 1, 2020 5:38 PM

60% of cases in S. Korea are from the religious group. So avoid large gatherings...

by Anonymousreply 418March 1, 2020 5:43 PM

They are CLEARLY BLOCKING PATIENT’S ACCESS TO TESTS.

by Anonymousreply 419March 1, 2020 5:43 PM

Surprised there hasn’t been a confirmed case in NYC yet.

by Anonymousreply 420March 1, 2020 5:44 PM

Yet another case linked to Italy. For now, it's probably best to stay the fuck away from there!

A school in Dublin is set to close for two weeks after a student tested positive for coronavirus, according to the Irish Times.

The teenager is the first person in the Republic of Ireland to test positive for the virus, and the case was announced on Saturday evening. The individual became ill in recent days after returning from Italy and is currently in isolation in a Dublin hospital.

Students at the school are being told to self-isolate at home if they start presenting symptoms.

by Anonymousreply 421March 1, 2020 5:45 PM

You can get tested via a drive thru in South Korea and the test is free. And in the US the testing kits are failing to the point NY is creating their own.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 422March 1, 2020 5:50 PM

They probably sabotaged the first round of test.

by Anonymousreply 423March 1, 2020 5:54 PM

CNN

2 more coronavirus cases confirmed in Washington From CNN's Melissa Alonso

Seattle & King County Public Health "announced on Sunday two more confirmed cases of COVID-19 in King County residents, bringing the total of confirmed cases" in the county to six, and eight in the state, according to a Seattle & King County Public Health press release.

The two new cases are both males in their 60s with underlying health conditions. One is "in critical but stable condition" at Valley Medical Center in Renton. The other is in critical condition at Virginia Mason Medical Center, the release said.

"This number is expected to rise as more people are tested and results confirmed," according to the release.

by Anonymousreply 424March 1, 2020 5:56 PM

are all the known US cases so far in blue states? I really don't want to hear repubs try and use that to their advantage

by Anonymousreply 425March 1, 2020 6:00 PM

On ny1, they are reporting that 2 people are being tested for the virus.

by Anonymousreply 426March 1, 2020 6:01 PM

The red states spend so little on health care, they can't test for the virus. No testing, no virus.

by Anonymousreply 427March 1, 2020 6:01 PM

I blame China.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 428March 1, 2020 6:05 PM

Red states haven’t done any testing. They are woefully behind as usual. They will be hit the hardest as they are the most corrupt and incompetent.

by Anonymousreply 429March 1, 2020 6:15 PM

just heard a doctor say that an outbreak is not over until the infection rate is less than 1. Right now corona is like 2.2 meaning every infected person is expected to infect 2 additional people. So it's definitely still spreading

by Anonymousreply 430March 1, 2020 6:17 PM

Big increase in Germany since yesterday.

9m ago 19:05

Number of cases in Germany doubles in one day The number of people in Germany infected rose to 129 on Sunday, up from 66 on Saturday, DW has reported.

Nine of Germany’s 16 states now have cases of COVID-19, with Frankfurt, Hamburg and Bremen among the cities reporting their first infections, Germany’s centre for disease control and prevention, the Robert Koch Institute, said.

Almost half of the cases, 74 in total, have been confirmed in North Rhine-Westphalia, which is Germany’s most populous state. Bavaria has the next highest number of confirmed cases, with 23, followed by Baden-Württemberg with 15.

by Anonymousreply 431March 1, 2020 6:17 PM

CNN-Coronavirus cases in Italy now total 1,694

The number of coronavirus cases in Italy climbed to 1,694, with 34 deaths reported so far, according to an update from the country’s Civil Protection Authority on Sunday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 432March 1, 2020 6:24 PM

CNN-Rice University in Texas asks some employees and students to self-quarantine

Rice University in Texas asks some employees and students to self-quarantine

The university said the measure is due to an "employee's possible exposure to the coronavirus while on overseas travel," the release said.

Rice University did not disclose what country the employee traveled to but said it was not one on the CDC's restricted travel list; which includes China, Iran, Italy, South Korea and Japan.

The university's administration is "not planning to suspend campus operations, events or classes," according to the release.

"We ask that all members of our community take steps to ensure that we all stay as healthy as possible," the release said.

by Anonymousreply 433March 1, 2020 6:25 PM

Hermès handing out masks to guests at Paris fashion show.

by Anonymousreply 434March 1, 2020 6:28 PM

With massive increases in cases in Germany, UK, Italy and France during the past 24 hrs , it is only a matter of time now. America IT is coming for us. Be prepared!

by Anonymousreply 435March 1, 2020 6:35 PM

yes, prepare. Get plenty of sleep, eat well, don't drink too much booze.

by Anonymousreply 436March 1, 2020 6:40 PM

clean your surfaces with bleach. wash your hands. don't touch your face with your hands.

by Anonymousreply 437March 1, 2020 6:41 PM

Why is the death rate so high in Italy? Are Italians more genetically vulnerable somehow? If so, I'm barricading myself indoors.

by Anonymousreply 438March 1, 2020 6:42 PM

r435, it sounds like it has been here for a while. We just don't have the test results to determine the number of people infected. I wonder how long there is between being infected and showing symptoms?

by Anonymousreply 439March 1, 2020 6:43 PM

I've been reading this thread since thread 1. Remember the poster who said this virus targets CHINESE MALES? He was in the first and 2nd thread posting about how it targets Asian males.

LOLOLOLOLOLOL.

by Anonymousreply 440March 1, 2020 6:45 PM

R439, it can be 14 days and some even longer...like 24 days according to a report by JAMA. There was a case in China where the man didn't show symptoms until the 27th day.

by Anonymousreply 441March 1, 2020 6:46 PM

Plus le droit de faire la bise ? Mais c'est une atteinte intolérable à la culture française !

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 442March 1, 2020 6:46 PM

SHANGHAI (Reuters) - A 70-year-old man in China’s Hubei Province was infected with coronavirus but did not show symptoms until 27 days later, the local government said on Saturday, meaning the virus’ incubation period could be much longer than the presumed 14 days.

A longer incubation period could complicate efforts to contain spread of the epidemic that has so far killed more than 2,000 people and spread outside China.

The man, only identified by his family name, Jiang, on Jan. 24 drove his car back to Shennongjia, in northwestern Hubei, from eastern Ezhou, where he had close contact with his sister, who had been infected, according to the government website of Hubei, the virus epicenter.

He had a fever on Feb. 20 and tested positive for coronavirus a day later, according to the government statement.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 443March 1, 2020 6:48 PM

Suggestion for the title of the next thread .

Coronavirus Freakout 10: For whom the bell tolls

by Anonymousreply 444March 1, 2020 6:49 PM

Personally, I don’t give a flip about how many cases other countries have.

All I want to know is why has nobody been tested in the US over the last 2 months?

How many cases are here?

What the hell is the administration ACTUALLY DOING?! as opposed to what they say they are???

by Anonymousreply 445March 1, 2020 6:52 PM

Ex-FDA Chief Expects U.S. Coronavirus Cases to Jump Rapidly

There may be “hundreds or low thousands” of coronavirus cases in the U.S. that haven’t been reported yet and “community spread” is under way in at least two and possibly four states, the former head of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration said.

A treatment is likely to be available by September or October, with a vaccine a “much longer way off,” said Scott Gottlieb, who departed as President Donald Trump’s FDA commissioner in April.

Gottlieb spoke Sunday on CBS’s “Face the Nation,” a day after the nation recorded its first coronavirus fatality and as Vice President Mike Pence and other U.S. officials defended the administration’s response.

“We need to get those cases diagnosed and identified so we can start getting people quarantined and into treatment to prevent more spread,” said Gottlieb, now a special partner at New Enterprise Associates, a venture capital firm that invests in the health-care and biotech sectors.

The Trump administration’s response to coronavirus has been hit by missteps, including problems developing and distributing a test for the infection and discordant public messages.

An initial test for the virus developed by the CDC was plagued by technical problems and has been in short supply. And federal health workers processing Americans evacuated from the outbreak’s epicenter in the Chinese city of Wuhan lacked adequate training and protective gear, according to a whistle-blower complaint.

“We’re ramping up testing,” Azar said. “We now have 75,000 tests available out there in the United States. And over the next week that will expand radically on top of 75,000 tests available.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 446March 1, 2020 6:56 PM

Justin will miss this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 447March 1, 2020 7:08 PM

I went to the doctor’s office Friday expecting to a lot of people wearing masks. I didn’t and even my new doctor shook my hand before and after. I’m sure he washed them after.

by Anonymousreply 448March 1, 2020 7:13 PM

“An initial test for the virus developed by the CDC was plagued by technical problems and has been in short supply.”

Hmmmm

by Anonymousreply 449March 1, 2020 7:15 PM

“She was an amazing woman...”

by Anonymousreply 450March 1, 2020 7:16 PM

I was talking to a guy on Grindr who was telling me he was having cold symptoms.

I mean, I'd be nervous about that even absent our current situation. Why are you trying to get fucked if you're sick?

by Anonymousreply 451March 1, 2020 8:22 PM

When has that ever stopped gay men?

I went to my doctor last week for flu symptoms and she listened to my chest, said I was fine, and gave me a prescription for cough medicine. No test for Coronavirus or anything else. I would have happily taken a test but I don’t think they have one in place.

by Anonymousreply 452March 1, 2020 8:34 PM

If you can contract this and not show symptoms for two weeks all the while infecting people, then it'd be really foolish to assume that it's not everywhere by now.

by Anonymousreply 453March 1, 2020 8:42 PM

Wait until a few promiscuous gay men get it. It’ll spread like wildfire.

by Anonymousreply 454March 1, 2020 9:01 PM

Don’t give R395 shit. He/she is attempting to calm us, and by doing so, also manages to self-soothe. That’s OK. He’s not telling us to go kill ourselves, jeez.

I appreciate R395’s level headed thinking. I am also level headed, yet highly cautious in that I’m am erring on the side of caution in my actions. That doesn’t mean I’m gnawing my fingernails into nubs, or pulling out my hair.

Discussing this, our thoughts, our possible plans, our observations, and frustrations, news updates, etc., is not the equivalent of panic, or the re-enactment of some apocalyptic flick, right?

Be careful. Be mindful. Be aware. Shit is happening, and the only thing an individual can control in situations such as these are their bodies, specifically environments in which they are forced to be in for work, or other necessary tasks that must be accomplished, in order to maintain order and regular day to day functions.

Don’t listen to shit about not wearing masks. Wear them. Wear latex gloves. Change them often. Wash your hands OFTEN, and that’s that.

by Anonymousreply 455March 1, 2020 9:30 PM

I saw this post on Reddit, cannot hurt to follow these suggestions... Part 1/2

Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.

Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.

Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.

Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.

Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.

Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.

If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

by Anonymousreply 456March 1, 2020 10:00 PM

I saw this post on Reddit, cannot hurt to follow these suggestions... Part 1/2

Subject: What I am doing for the upcoming COVID-19 (coronavirus) pandemic

Dear Colleagues, as some of you may recall, when I was a professor of pathology at the University of California San Diego, I was one of the first molecular virologists in the world to work on coronaviruses (the 1970s). I was the first to demonstrate the number of genes the virus contained. Since then, I have kept up with the coronavirus field and its multiple clinical transfers into the human population (e.g., SARS, MERS), from different animal sources.

The current projections for its expansion in the US are only probable, due to continued insufficient worldwide data, but it is most likely to be widespread in the US by mid to late March and April.

Here is what I have done and the precautions that I take and will take. These are the same precautions I currently use during our influenza seasons, except for the mask and gloves.:

NO HANDSHAKING! Use a fist bump, slight bow, elbow bump, etc.

Use ONLY your knuckle to touch light switches. elevator buttons, etc.. Lift the gasoline dispenser with a paper towel or use a disposable glove.

Open doors with your closed fist or hip - do not grasp the handle with your hand, unless there is no other way to open the door. Especially important on bathroom and post office/commercial doors.

Use disinfectant wipes at the stores when they are available, including wiping the handle and child seat in grocery carts.

Wash your hands with soap for 10-20 seconds and/or use a greater than 60% alcohol-based hand sanitizer whenever you return home from ANY activity that involves locations where other people have been.

Keep a bottle of sanitizer available at each of your home's entrances. AND in your car for use after getting gas or touching other contaminated objects when you can't immediately wash your hands.

If possible, cough or sneeze into a disposable tissue and discard. Use your elbow only if you have to. The clothing on your elbow will contain infectious virus that can be passed on for up to a week or more!

What I have stocked in preparation for the pandemic spread to the US:

Latex or nitrile latex disposable gloves for use when going shopping, using the gasoline pump, and all other outside activity when you come in contact with contaminated areas.

Note: This virus is spread in large droplets by coughing and sneezing. This means that the air will not infect you! BUT all the surfaces where these droplets land are infectious for about a week on average - everything that is associated with infected people will be contaminated and potentially infectious. The virus is on surfaces and you will not be infected unless your unprotected face is directly coughed or sneezed upon. This virus only has cell receptors for lung cells (it only infects your lungs) The only way for the virus to infect you is through your nose or mouth via your hands or an infected cough or sneeze onto or into your nose or mouth.

2) Stock up now with disposable surgical masks and use them to prevent you from touching your nose and/or mouth (We touch our nose/mouth 90X/day without knowing it!). This is the only way this virus can infect you - it is lung-specific. The mask will not prevent the virus in a direct sneeze from getting into your nose or mouth - it is only to keep you from touching your nose or mouth.

3) Stock up now with hand sanitizers and latex/nitrile gloves (get the appropriate sizes for your family). The hand sanitizers must be alcohol-based and greater than 60% alcohol to be effective.

4) Stock up now with zinc lozenges. These lozenges have been proven to be effective in blocking coronavirus (and most other viruses) from multiplying in your throat and nasopharynx. Use as directed several times each day when you begin to feel ANY "cold-like" symptoms beginning. It is best to lie down and let the lozenge dissolve in the back of your throat and nasopharynx. Cold-Eeze lozenges is one brand available, but there are other brands available.

by Anonymousreply 457March 1, 2020 10:00 PM

A mask is not going to prevent you from get the virus R455.

by Anonymousreply 458March 1, 2020 10:00 PM

Reddit 2/2

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us! Jim”

by Anonymousreply 459March 1, 2020 10:01 PM

Reddit 2/2

I, as many others do, hope that this pandemic will be reasonably contained, BUT I personally do not think it will be. Humans have never seen this snake-associated virus before and have no internal defense against it. Tremendous worldwide efforts are being made to understand the molecular and clinical virology of this virus. Unbelievable molecular knowledge about the genomics, structure, and virulence of this virus has already been achieved. BUT, there will be NO drugs or vaccines available this year to protect us or limit the infection within us. Only symptomatic support is available.

I hope these personal thoughts will be helpful during this potentially catastrophic pandemic. You are welcome to share this email. Good luck to all of us! Jim”

by Anonymousreply 460March 1, 2020 10:01 PM

Sorry for the double post of part 2/2, wish we had an edit button.

I am going to get some zinc tomorrow, cannot hurt.

by Anonymousreply 461March 1, 2020 10:04 PM

Sorry for the double post of part 2/2, wish we had an edit button.

I am going to get some zinc tomorrow, cannot hurt.

by Anonymousreply 462March 1, 2020 10:04 PM

[quote]I am going to get some zinc tomorrow, cannot hurt.

Yes it can.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 463March 1, 2020 10:28 PM

A man arriving in the US today from Italy was shocked that there was no screening when he came thru

by Anonymousreply 464March 1, 2020 10:28 PM

confirmed case in RI and FL

by Anonymousreply 465March 1, 2020 10:33 PM

CURRENT UPDATE :

DEATHS : 3,001

CASES : 88,375

SERIOUS/CRITICAL CONDITION : 7,608

by Anonymousreply 466March 1, 2020 10:41 PM

2,870 Deaths have occurred in China.

Makes those rumors about the virus leaking from a laboratory in China pretty believable.

by Anonymousreply 467March 1, 2020 10:46 PM

Second outbreak of the "flu" aboard the Caribbean Princess Cruise Ship.

by Anonymousreply 468March 1, 2020 10:56 PM

R460, what is the author's name?

by Anonymousreply 469March 1, 2020 11:00 PM

Like some others in this thread, I am wondering if corona has been around in the US for longer than we think, but untested, I was very sick from mid-December thru mid-January this year. Terrible cough, felt like shit for a month solid. I’ve never been that sick before. Tested negative for flu. I’m in my 30s and in the U.S. I started to feel better after getting a steroid shot in mid-January but still didnt feel good until the beginning of February. Now I am wondering if it was corona.

by Anonymousreply 470March 1, 2020 11:01 PM

CNN-Coronavirus cases in China's Hubei province increase two days in a row, WHO says

The number of confirmed cases of coronavirus in Hubei province, China, has increased for two successive days after a period of decline, the World Health Organization said in its daily report on Sunday.

"WHO is monitoring the situation and working to understand its possible significance," the report said.

The epicenter of the coronavirus outbreak is in Wuhan, the capital of Hubei province, and aggressive measures were taken in the province to contain the virus. On Wednesday, for the first time since the start of the outbreak, the number of new cases reported outside of China in a single day was larger than those reported inside China, WHO said.

Still, most of the new cases in China were in Hubei.

Dr. Liang Wannian, a senior official with China’s National Health Commission, said during a WHO press conference last week that despite "good news" of decreasing cases and deaths in Wuhan, "the current situation is still grim and complex."

Hundreds of new cases were confirmed and suspected every day, he said, "which means that the epidemic situation has not yet been completely contained by us."

by Anonymousreply 471March 1, 2020 11:03 PM

R487 No, it doesn't. Stop with the stupid rumors.

by Anonymousreply 472March 1, 2020 11:03 PM

Something no one seems to be mentioning in the media but is crucial: Disinfect your cellphone. Daily.

Cellphones are crawling with germs. Your hands are touching tons of public surfaces, then they're touching the screen and buttons of your phone all day and night. You might wash your hands, but touch your phone after that and you're recontaminating yourself.

by Anonymousreply 473March 1, 2020 11:04 PM

The Caribbean Princess returned to Port Everglades, Florida, where it remains docked.

Vaya Con Dios, Florida.

by Anonymousreply 474March 1, 2020 11:08 PM

R470 I was sick for one week - missed two family gathering over Christmas holiday week. I assumed I had the flu - but it was a little different than my normal flu. I had pressure sinus headaches with it - I never have those.

It wasn't THAT bad. I mean no worse than the flu, with the addition of the headaches in my sinuses. So who knows...could have just been a bad flu - or not.

I'm 44, and had pneumonia in 2015, and shingles in 2010. I wonder if I would be one of those people that would be considered "as risk" due to having shingles at a fairly young age (33) and having pneumonia. I caught pneumonia from a coworker that had it. He was in his late 60's at the time. It was viral so antibiotics wouldn't help. That was the sickest I'd ever been in my life.

by Anonymousreply 475March 1, 2020 11:08 PM

#TheRealDonaldTrump@R472

by Anonymousreply 476March 1, 2020 11:11 PM

[quote]The Caribbean Princess returned to Port Everglades, Florida, where it remains docked.

I'm starting to wonder what's going to happen to the industry. All three of the major lines have been aggressively pushing into Southeast Asia for the last few years, including several ships that were purpose-built for those markets.

Now even Caribbean ports are starting to deny US-based ships entry.

Gonna be some fantastic deals in a few months.

by Anonymousreply 477March 1, 2020 11:12 PM

Rhode Island has a confirmed case and a school in NH is closed due to kids just returning from a trip in Europe. Watch out fellow New Englanders.

by Anonymousreply 478March 1, 2020 11:13 PM

CNN-Four new cases of coronavirus confirmed in Ontario, Canada

Four people have tested positive for coronavirus in Ontario, Canada, according to a press release from the Ontario government.

The first case is a man in his 50s who is a Toronto resident temporarily living in Vaughan. The man is the brother of a patient who traveled to Iran, the release said.

He is in self-isolation and has had no community exposure, according to the release. He was assessed and tested at Mackenzie Health Hospital in Richmond Hill Friday.

The second case is a man in his 40s who is the spouse of the York region's first Iran travel-related case announced Saturday, according to the release.

He traveled with his wife and toddler but was asymptomatic on flights and later was tested and assessed at Mackenzie Health Hospital on Friday. He self-isolated at home before becoming symptomatic, the release said.

The third case is a man in his 60s who returned from Iran on February 23. He went to the hospital on Friday and was assessed and discharged the same day. He has been in self-isolation at home, the release said.

The fourth case is a woman in her 70’s from Newmarket who was in contact with a person who recently reported positive after traveling from Egypt, the release said. This new patient also traveled to Egypt and was tested and assessed at Southlake Regional Health Centre on Saturday. She is now in self-isolation, according to the release.

The total number of cases in Ontario is now 15, the release said.

The total Canada case count for coronavirus is 24, which includes the latest numbers from Ontario plus eight cases in British Columbia and one in Quebec.

by Anonymousreply 479March 1, 2020 11:14 PM

R487 ?

You're a bit ahead of yourself, r472..........

by Anonymousreply 480March 1, 2020 11:15 PM

R470, are you in the USA? which state?

by Anonymousreply 481March 1, 2020 11:18 PM

I wonder who r472 is referencing....or is he or she actually speaking from the future?

by Anonymousreply 482March 1, 2020 11:19 PM

13 new cases in the UK.

Paris has cancelled all events over 5k.

London Marathon will probably be cancelled too.

by Anonymousreply 483March 1, 2020 11:20 PM

Errol Barnett on CBS News.

[italic] Woof, Woof !

by Anonymousreply 484March 1, 2020 11:23 PM

Coronavirus tourism is going to be a real thing soon. I know a few bold souls who wait for times like this so they can take advantage of all the cheap deals. They were in Thailand and the Maldives in 5* hotels for 3* prices right after the tsunami, in nearby but unaffected areas.

I myself have been holidaying in Sharm el Sheikh in Egypt for tiny prices these past four years. The UK wouldn't fly there direct so tourists kept away too. It was beautifully quiet, the coral reefs thriving in the peace.

Time to plan a trip to Venice.

by Anonymousreply 485March 1, 2020 11:24 PM

I'm probably going to join you, R485. Nearly empty Doge's Palace? Don't mind if I do.

by Anonymousreply 486March 1, 2020 11:26 PM

R485 Coronavirus tourism: catch it and get it over with. It's like vaccination but with live virus.

by Anonymousreply 487March 1, 2020 11:27 PM

Pox Parties for the 21st century,

by Anonymousreply 488March 1, 2020 11:28 PM

I know I won't get it. My immune system is incredibly strong after twenty years of teaching at a secondary school with 1000 students, and travelling on London public transport every day. I had a child in my class with undiagnosed swine flu in 2009. She coughed on me as I was leaning over her desk to look at some work, and the next day she was at home with the virus. I didn't catch it. I never get colds, flu, noravirus or anything else.

by Anonymousreply 489March 1, 2020 11:29 PM

R489, there is always a first time!

by Anonymousreply 490March 1, 2020 11:32 PM

A Costco in Oregon ran out of toilet paper for the first time in its history and there were reports of long lines and wild scenes at stores in other parts of the hard-hit West Coast and in Hawaii.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 491March 1, 2020 11:33 PM

Coronavirus patient from Diamond Princess says symptoms hit ‘hard and fast’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 492March 1, 2020 11:34 PM

Coronavirus patient from Diamond Princess says symptoms hit ‘hard and fast’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 493March 1, 2020 11:34 PM

R488 Didn't some fatalistic gays have HIV orgy party? Or was that a urban legend?

by Anonymousreply 494March 1, 2020 11:35 PM

Bug-chasing is real, R494. There are websites devoted to giving and catching HIV.

by Anonymousreply 495March 1, 2020 11:37 PM

[quote]I know I won't get it. My immune system is incredibly strong after twenty years of teaching at a secondary school with 1000 students, and travelling on London public transport every day.

I really hope you're not a biology teacher.

by Anonymousreply 496March 1, 2020 11:41 PM

I was at a grocery store, Walmart and Target these past two days. Shelves are stocked.

by Anonymousreply 497March 1, 2020 11:43 PM

At the end of the day, if you're the kind of sickly type who comes down with everything that's going around, you'll probably catch this too once it's in the community. But only 1% of people who get it die, so there isn't really anything to worry about. Far, far more chance of being killed in a traffic accident.

by Anonymousreply 498March 1, 2020 11:43 PM

[quote]But only 1% of people who get it die, so there isn't really anything to worry about

Not if we have anything to say about it!

by Anonymousreply 499March 1, 2020 11:45 PM

R497 Costco seems to be the preferred hoarder central. Sam's Club must feel left out.

by Anonymousreply 500March 1, 2020 11:45 PM

'Now even Caribbean ports are starting to deny US-based ships entry.'

The Caribbean for sure will have cases there that they won't even know about. Most people can't afford to visit the doctor unless they're at death's door.

by Anonymousreply 501March 1, 2020 11:46 PM

[quote]are all the known US cases so far in blue states? I really don't want to hear repubs try and use that to their advantage

The only thing you'll hear from Repugs about that is that it's their god's punishment.

by Anonymousreply 502March 1, 2020 11:47 PM

It's funny to see US hoes treating the virus as if it's a hurricane. Boarding up and stocking up. That's not happening in the UK.

by Anonymousreply 503March 1, 2020 11:47 PM

R503 They don't trust the government to preserve social order during a bad outbreak. Fear is also a virus.

by Anonymousreply 504March 1, 2020 11:51 PM

[quote]are all the known US cases so far in blue states?

There's one in Florida now.

by Anonymousreply 505March 1, 2020 11:52 PM

True, R504.

by Anonymousreply 506March 1, 2020 11:53 PM

Trump is proving that he would have been even less effectual than Reagan if he'd been president when the AIDS virus struck.

by Anonymousreply 507March 1, 2020 11:54 PM

Welcome to New York, coronavirus!!!

by Anonymousreply 508March 1, 2020 11:55 PM

[quote]Meanwhile, the gene sequence from a Snohomish County, Washington, high school boy whose illness was announced on Feb 28 as a community spread case has already been uploaded to a public database, and an early analysis hints that it is related to a Snohomish County case reported in January, [bold]suggesting that transmission has been underway in Washington state for the last 6 weeks.[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 509March 1, 2020 11:57 PM

[quote]Meanwhile, the gene sequence from a Snohomish County, Washington, high school boy whose illness was announced on Feb 28 as a community spread case has already been uploaded to a public database, and an early analysis hints that it is related to a Snohomish County case reported in January, [bold]suggesting that transmission has been underway in Washington state for the last 6 weeks.[/bold]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 510March 1, 2020 11:57 PM

[quote]Welcome to New York, coronavirus!!!

If I can make it here, I can make it anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 511March 1, 2020 11:58 PM

Why doesn't Trump visit the patients and staff at the quarantined nursing home to personally assure them that everything is under control, and they'll be all be fine in two or three days.

by Anonymousreply 512March 2, 2020 12:00 AM

CNN-Ecuador confirms five new coronavirus cases

CNN-Egypt announces second confirmed case of coronavirus

CNN-Hong Kong confirms three new cases of novel coronavirus

by Anonymousreply 513March 2, 2020 12:01 AM

Accept No Substitutes .........

[italic] DataLounge Is the "Go To" News Source

by Anonymousreply 514March 2, 2020 12:04 AM

New Update @ 8:00 pm EST

Cases - 88,591

Deaths - 3,051

by Anonymousreply 515March 2, 2020 12:09 AM

How did that cruise ship get so fast from Japan to Florida? Does it really only take a couple of days?

I wonder what they'll do with it now. I wouldn't pay a shitload of money on a vacation on that deathtrap. Even if they disinfected the whole ship or waited 6 weeks. Not even for free. Never. And yes, I still drink Corona beer.

by Anonymousreply 516March 2, 2020 12:09 AM

R496

The susceptibly deficit in children could be from constant exposure to child prone coronavirus. Her constant exposure could confer some immunity.

That does not explain the number of infants (it’s zero, BTW) that have died. Children seem totally immune- the number of deaths under 20 is statistical noise, only a fraction of a fraction of the total deaths.

by Anonymousreply 517March 2, 2020 12:15 AM

R513 It was like that in SK. Early on it was just a few cases here and there, and then there was a super-spreader like that woman who attended the big cult meeting, and from there the numbers jump drastically and government actions were needed. If outbreak were to happen here, it would probably follow that pattern.

by Anonymousreply 518March 2, 2020 12:16 AM

I don't think that the Caribbean Princess was in Japan, as it originally tried to dock in Trinidad, but was refused entry.

The Diamond Princess was in Japan.

by Anonymousreply 519March 2, 2020 12:18 AM

If it has been spreading for six weeks and nobody at the CDC or OR/WA CDC noticed an uptick in illness or deaths, then that’s fantastic news!

More probably the two mutations were passed by the same individual a few days ago. ☹️

by Anonymousreply 520March 2, 2020 12:20 AM

R519 The Diamond Princess was what got Japan's numbers all screwed up! It was left stranded at sea and so many people get unnecessarily infected. And some one in the State Dept. decided to fly infected Americans from the ship back to the States.

by Anonymousreply 521March 2, 2020 12:23 AM

I have to admit something guys. I've been following this thread for weeks now and I still haven't prepared at all. Haven't bought hand sanitizer, masks or even extra toilet paper yet. Not even any extra food. I live in a 2 bedroom apartment without much storage and I don't really have space to get tons of canned food or noodles. No big freezer either, just a regular fridge. I also don't really want to spend that much money on food I dont usually eat or like or stuff I'll never use again like face masks. I wish i had a huge garage or basement to store this stuff (and the money), but the truth is I don't.

How do city apartment people prepare? Store the canned beans and soup under your bed? Or do you also just ignore it for now?

by Anonymousreply 522March 2, 2020 12:25 AM

They don't know the approximate incubation period for this virus, r520. One poster quoted a report or study indicating an incubation period of possibly up to to 40 days. Maybe more.

by Anonymousreply 523March 2, 2020 12:25 AM

Damn you bitches are fast!

First post on DL- report on first confirmed case in NY.

by Anonymousreply 524March 2, 2020 12:27 AM

Helter Skelter is coming down!!!!

by Anonymousreply 525March 2, 2020 12:29 AM

R492, hard and fast- just like a bad lay. Ugh.

by Anonymousreply 526March 2, 2020 12:34 AM

Ah, wrong cruise ship. Thanks for clearing that up r519.

by Anonymousreply 527March 2, 2020 12:35 AM

R523

Fuck Donald Rumsfeld, but I’ve used the phrase “unknown unknowns” a hundred times or more in the last 2 weeks.

I got crazy looks at first. Friday afternoon everyone was asking my opinion. Tomorrow will be interesting.

Our company has done ZERO planning for this. I get all my news from Datalounge, so I’m obviously unqualified.

How do you move product if no one comes inside?

How many of our stock items come from places affected?

I don’t even think anyone has informed the C suite about any possible problems.

Total cluster fuck.

by Anonymousreply 528March 2, 2020 12:36 AM

R528, so many others are in your situation.

How corporations don’t prepare for something like this is just nuts. Unbelievable. Protocols should have already been in place long ago, and on the ready, for these scenarios.

What’s wrong with PEOPLE??? Have they no idea that shit like this is not fictional?

by Anonymousreply 529March 2, 2020 12:39 AM

I never thought I’d live in a country where the leader lies the seriousness of something like this. That’s for China or N. Korea, not the US!

by Anonymousreply 530March 2, 2020 12:39 AM

Grocery stores, drug stores/pharmacies, Walmart, and Club stores will thrive during this crisis. Other businesses will take a major hit. People will stay home rather than go to restaurants, theaters, sporting events, bars & clubs, even church services, etc.

by Anonymousreply 531March 2, 2020 12:40 AM

The train wreck analogy is perfect.

I watched a car accident- saw it coming- and every detail seems imprinted. I remember more about that awful moment then I do my first time having sex. Also awful.

I can see the car swerving, and the woman oblivious, and I try not to imagine the aftermath.

I have no faith in any of our systems.

This pandemic will expose the serious underlying problems with our economic systems.

by Anonymousreply 532March 2, 2020 12:42 AM

Just ask Trump.

👳 He's the New Miss Warwick of 2020.

by Anonymousreply 533March 2, 2020 12:45 AM

R529 Where were you during the AIDS crisis? Everyone was lying for years... so they wouldn't have to face reality. That viral disease was way more serious than this.

by Anonymousreply 534March 2, 2020 12:49 AM

r522 .....

Ramen Noodles

Dry Soup Mix, like Bear Creek Soups

Pasta, rice, beans

Canned Foods

Cookies & Chocolate

by Anonymousreply 535March 2, 2020 12:53 AM

R529

To be fair, planning for “fat tail” events (improbable but plausible) is expensive. I spent $800 on canned food I might eat, with donation in mind if it was Ebola 2.0.

I decided to stock up on some canned goods and non-perishable foods on Valentines, but kept my mouth shut to most people until last week when the market started to crater. By Friday morning I was telling everyone “The End Is Near(ish)”.

Best probability is that it is “the flu” with a 0.1% mortality, and we can slow it down.

Supply chains are fucked.

by Anonymousreply 536March 2, 2020 12:58 AM

Trump's too busy trying to impress the world by scoring points with the Taliban. He fancies himself the Great Peacemaker and Saviour of the World.

The Taliban will fuck Trump over before the ink is barely dry.

by Anonymousreply 537March 2, 2020 1:00 AM

70 year old man in Washington is dead from cornavirus, bitches!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 538March 2, 2020 1:01 AM

[quote]70 year old man in Washington is dead from cornavirus, bitches!

He was a remarkable woman.

by Anonymousreply 539March 2, 2020 1:04 AM

An intern I worked with is at Yale, and she just texted me about the serious concern on campus.

I sent her a message 2 weeks ago telling her she needed to keep it on her radar. Apparently, schools are beginning to inform students that complacency isn’t proactive.

Duh.

by Anonymousreply 540March 2, 2020 1:04 AM

R538 That's typical of the early deaths. It's the old and infirm who go first. The next most vulnerable group is the medical staff that treat these patients. There will be localized outbreaks here and there, but the US is a big country so it's not as dire as it is for smaller densely populated countries like SK.

by Anonymousreply 541March 2, 2020 1:10 AM

I thought the guy in Washington that died was in his 50's.

by Anonymousreply 542March 2, 2020 1:12 AM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 543March 2, 2020 1:12 AM

Dammit R538 I need to go to bed!

I have a feeling I’ll be using my emergency wake up pill tomorrow morning. Fuck.

So, let’s start with nominations for next title.

Return of the Pangolins?

Don’t Leave Me This Way...

Don’t Cry For Me My Corona...

by Anonymousreply 544March 2, 2020 1:13 AM

Thread title--Coronavirus Freakout 10: Coming Soon, A Pandemic Near You

I'd like extra consideration since the damn thing's in my town, who knows when I'll be coughing my last at Costco.

by Anonymousreply 545March 2, 2020 1:15 AM

R401: [R395] - it has zero to do with the markets - the markets are reacting to uncertainty - of manufacturing, consumer spending etc. Not Trumps "tone"

No, wrong. Trump again Evidenced incompetence and a leader who is incompetent makes bad decisions. I thought both his news conferences were awful. He sounded uninformed and unable to understand the matter.

by Anonymousreply 546March 2, 2020 1:17 AM

My partner's sister is 8 months pregnant in Kirkland Washington, and she's been to the Evergreen Hospital 4 times in the past 6 weeks. Really hope she's ok.

by Anonymousreply 547March 2, 2020 1:18 AM

R546, Yep, given that the markets dropped *during* his speech, it's clear that his total incompetence has convinced the market that this thing is going to be around adversely affecting trade for a while.

by Anonymousreply 548March 2, 2020 1:19 AM

Since zero deaths under 12 months, and only a few under 20 years, have been recorded, the baby is probably fine.

She should have zero contact with anyone else for 4 weeks. None. Lock her in a cell and slide food under the door until she’s ready to pop that baby out!

by Anonymousreply 549March 2, 2020 1:22 AM

Everybody who has the regular flu must be freaked-out.

My sister in Long Island has the flu now. We’re not worried about Corona because her partner just had the flu and recovered.

Though without tests...

by Anonymousreply 550March 2, 2020 1:23 AM

Thousands of Americans have unknowingly experienced and recovered from the coronavirus over the past few months. But let's not say that because we want everyone to panic and buy, buy, buy.

by Anonymousreply 551March 2, 2020 1:24 AM

Enough of the ugly fuckin' pangolins.

by Anonymousreply 552March 2, 2020 1:24 AM

And fuckin’ My Sharona.

by Anonymousreply 553March 2, 2020 1:27 AM

Next thread title : "There's Got To Be A Morning After"

by Anonymousreply 554March 2, 2020 1:28 AM

R550

That is the best case scenario. People getting sick, but never seeking medical attention because the symptoms were so mild, would explain a portion of the numbers coming out of China.

If the number of deaths in Italy and South Korea do not dramatically escalate this week, we might have a good chance of surviving this without major disruptions to daily life.

I’m smoking hopium at this point.

The bitch calling Pangolins ugly needs to have her doorknob licked, and not in the sexual way!

by Anonymousreply 555March 2, 2020 1:29 AM

'I never thought I’d live in a country where the leader lies the seriousness of something like this. That’s for China or N. Korea, not the US!'

Really, you spaz? Even though you are living in the country that denied AIDS?

by Anonymousreply 556March 2, 2020 1:29 AM

“Those ignorant of history are doomed to repeat it”

by Anonymousreply 557March 2, 2020 1:31 AM

Coronavirus Freakout 10: "10"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 558March 2, 2020 1:32 AM

'He who controls the past, controls the future. He who controls the present, controls the past.'

by Anonymousreply 559March 2, 2020 1:33 AM

r522 you don't want to buy things you don't usually use, you want to get the items that you always us so that you have them before they run out. yes, stick them under your bed. if there is room in your refrigerator store things like rice and pasta in there. If you buy the things you always use you aren't spending any extra money.

by Anonymousreply 560March 2, 2020 1:41 AM

Somebody upthread suggested the sequel to Saturday Night Fever, "Stayin' Alive", which I think was genius.

by Anonymousreply 561March 2, 2020 1:53 AM

Here in SF, I will just stick with what I already stored away for The Big One that still hasn't come yet! What's with that?

by Anonymousreply 562March 2, 2020 1:54 AM

I vote for "Stayin' Alive".

by Anonymousreply 563March 2, 2020 1:59 AM

This thread needs more thoughts and prayers!

by Anonymousreply 564March 2, 2020 2:02 AM

Stayin’ Alive! It is.

These 600 post threads become murder after #500

by Anonymousreply 565March 2, 2020 2:14 AM

Captain Corelli’s Pangolin?

by Anonymousreply 566March 2, 2020 2:21 AM

Title submission for your consideration: "The Lung and the Breathless"

by Anonymousreply 567March 2, 2020 2:24 AM

Stayin’ Alive had the votes.

by Anonymousreply 568March 2, 2020 2:25 AM

Part 10

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 569March 2, 2020 2:27 AM

When you gonna give to me, a gift to me

Is it just a matter of time, Corona?

Is it d-d-destiny, d-destiny

Or is it just a game…

M-m-m-my Corona

by Anonymousreply 570March 2, 2020 2:50 AM

The woman in her late 30s traveled to IRAN and LIVES IN MANHATTAN!!!!! FUCK THIS BITCH!!!

When they said "lives in manhattan" on tv (abc eyewitness news), they showed lower manhattan, the freedom tower in the background.

by Anonymousreply 571March 2, 2020 3:04 AM

Then 2nd man who died of this virus in the USA is in his 70s, the first one who died was in his 50s.

RIP.

by Anonymousreply 572March 2, 2020 3:06 AM

First case in Scotland confirmed today. The patient has recently travelled from northern Italy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 573March 2, 2020 3:08 AM

Can you imagine if you lived in the same apt building as the woman in Manhattan?

by Anonymousreply 574March 2, 2020 3:12 AM

I know several people who had symptoms like what you describe, R470. Glad you are feeling better.

It does sound a lot like this purportedly new virus.

by Anonymousreply 575March 2, 2020 3:19 AM

[quote]Can you imagine if you lived in the same apt building as the woman in Manhattan?

A pandemic is unfolding. Eventually there will be infected people everywhere, including your building, your bus, your train, your office, your grocery store, your doctor's office.

by Anonymousreply 576March 2, 2020 3:21 AM

we deserve to know if she's taken the subway etc! esp if you're her neighbor? She could have coughed in the elevator, touched who knows what and is anyone making sure she is not sneaking out of the apt at night?! It doesn't sound like her case is serious.

by Anonymousreply 577March 2, 2020 3:23 AM

I like R567's suggestion. Maybe keep that in mind for part 11.

(Be sure to suggest that again in the part 10 thread, R567.)

by Anonymousreply 578March 2, 2020 4:16 AM

CNN-Seoul city government files homicide complaint against religious group's leaders

The Seoul city government has filed a legal complaint against the leaders of a religious group at the heart of the South Korean coronavirus outbreak, on charges including homicide, the city announced in a news release today.

About 60% of all cases nationwide have links to the Shincheonji religious group and its branch in the southern city of Daegu. Many have accused the group of withholding information, hampering official investigations, or discouraging preventative measures like wearing masks -- allegations the group and its leaders have denied.

The legal complaint specifically focused on the group's founder, Lee Man-hee, and 12 other leaders, on charges of homicide, resulting injuries, and violating the Infectious Disease and Control Act. The Seoul government filed the complaint to South Korea’s prosecutors’ office on Sunday evening local time, the release said.

The news release claims that the leaders are "refusing to be tested," and that they omitted members' names in a list of attendees submitted to health authorities, which equated submitting "false information and hampering the government's work."

What Shincheonji has said: The group and its leaders have denied obstructing government investigations, insisting they have been transparent and cooperative.

The group said it had submitted a full list of attendees to the government, and that any delays or omissions were due to administrative difficulties as everyone was working from home to avoid possible infection.

by Anonymousreply 579March 2, 2020 4:17 AM

CNN-Korea reports 476 new coronavirus cases, raising total to 4,212

South Korea has reported another 476 cases of the novel coronavirus, raising the national total to 4,212, the South Korean Center for Disease Control and Prevention (KCDC) said today.

The death toll in the country now stands at 22.

More than half of the cases in the country are linked to a branch of the Shincheonji religious group in Daegu.

by Anonymousreply 580March 2, 2020 4:18 AM

CNN-89 coronavirus patients have been identified in the United States

A total of 89 cases of the novel coronavirus have been reported in the United States, as of Sunday night Eastern time. Two have been killed by the virus, both in Washington state.

by Anonymousreply 581March 2, 2020 4:19 AM

CNN-Italy reports a 50% increase in confirmed coronavirus cases

Italy's Civil Protection Authority reported the country now has 1,694 confirmed coronavirus cases, up from 1,128 confirmed cases on Saturday. Thirty-four people have died.

by Anonymousreply 582March 2, 2020 4:19 AM

r580 Why can't this happen to David Miscavige and the Scientologists?

by Anonymousreply 583March 2, 2020 4:20 AM

What ever happened to his poor wife?

by Anonymousreply 584March 2, 2020 4:33 AM

Ok so 89 positives out of how many test given? We know it’s only a few tests.

So, even if was 500 test given that is almost 20% of subjects tested positive. Which would be really really bad news.

by Anonymousreply 585March 2, 2020 4:36 AM

What are the next big public gatherings. The first would be the Dem primary Tuesday. Not a big public gathering, but everybody touching those same voting buttons and pens.

by Anonymousreply 586March 2, 2020 4:49 AM

I’m crazy-worried about my sister with a flu now. I’m rather sure it’s not Corona in Long Island, but still.

Now I know how everybody is gonna feel if they have a loved one who got the flu. Knowing that it only kills 2-3% isn’t enough.

by Anonymousreply 587March 2, 2020 4:55 AM

K let’s wait until one thread is full before starting the next one. There is a reason it’s done that way.

We need to get our shit together here.

by Anonymousreply 588March 2, 2020 5:14 AM

Baseball games are starting soon, March 26th. They won’t play, I’ll bet.

by Anonymousreply 589March 2, 2020 5:26 AM

And continuing from R586, the general election. That’s still a ways off. I just wrote for my ballot today, but the deadline is tomorrow, so I may miss it.

by Anonymousreply 590March 2, 2020 5:30 AM

Shelly is fine and sends her love, R584.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 591March 2, 2020 5:34 AM

THREAD CLOSED. MOVE ON TO THE NEXT ONE, FOOL.

by Anonymousreply 592March 2, 2020 5:42 AM

Then

by Anonymousreply 593March 2, 2020 5:43 AM

Close

by Anonymousreply 594March 2, 2020 5:43 AM

The

by Anonymousreply 595March 2, 2020 5:43 AM

Thread

by Anonymousreply 596March 2, 2020 5:43 AM

That’s

by Anonymousreply 597March 2, 2020 5:44 AM

All

by Anonymousreply 598March 2, 2020 5:44 AM

Folks

by Anonymousreply 599March 2, 2020 5:44 AM

Xxxxxx

by Anonymousreply 600March 2, 2020 5:44 AM

Close

by Anonymousreply 601March 2, 2020 5:45 AM

Hey, I can still post!

by Anonymousreply 602March 2, 2020 6:08 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!