Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

"A Public Affair" by Jessica Simpson should have been a HIT- Why did it flop? & Who is the gorgeous man in the video?

Also... who is the GORGEOUS love interest of hers in the video? I mean, damn, what a gorgeous face!!!! I can not help but wonder what it is like to walk around with a face like that.

Back to the song... its a fun Pop song and so cute! Plus the video featured

Christina Applegate

Christina Milian

Eva Longoria

Maria Menounos

Ryan Seacrest

Andy Dick

It was fun!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 62September 14, 2020 12:20 AM

The man comes on at 1:49 for those who wanna help identify the gorgeous piece of man meat

by Anonymousreply 1February 28, 2020 5:03 AM

Released in 2006, which was the era of Nelly Furtado's Promiscuous, Shakira's Hips Don't Lie, and R&B pop songs like Me & U, Buttons, and Check On it. A Public Affair was already a derivative of Madonna's Holiday and, please, let's not try and revise history by making it seem like any of those celebrities were that famous. There was simply no place for this sugary sweet song at the time of its release.

by Anonymousreply 2February 28, 2020 5:04 AM

This is like a Dollar Tree version of Holiday.

by Anonymousreply 3February 28, 2020 5:09 AM

I was just about to say that the song was sugary bubblegum pop and radio already switched to more Urban sounds and music. This would have done better a few years earlier.

Christina Milian had her own hit songs by that point, so I always wondered why she did this.

Applegate and Simpson were buddies, I believe, and Longoria had Desperate Housewives.

by Anonymousreply 4February 28, 2020 5:11 AM

Longoria will never say no. She'll show up to the opening of a Piggly Wiggly.

by Anonymousreply 5February 28, 2020 5:12 AM

This was on one of my iPod running mixes ... lol

by Anonymousreply 6February 28, 2020 5:17 AM

I had to check to see when "Dip It Low" by Milian came out, and it did come out before this song. That was a huge hit, so yes, I still wonder why she did a cameo here.

I remember seeing this video years ago and finding her so damn pretty!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 7February 28, 2020 5:18 AM

That's my memory of it too R2. I mean, it's light and frothy and fun if you like that sort of thing (like, I actually found it kind of a guilty pleasure), but we made fun of it heaps when it was released. Wrong time, wrong place.

by Anonymousreply 8February 28, 2020 5:28 AM

His name is Reshad Strik, OP and R1.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 9February 28, 2020 5:32 AM

I was surprised to see Applegate in this. Love me some Kelly Bundy

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 10February 28, 2020 5:34 AM

I always felt Longoria and Applegate were too much older than the other two

by Anonymousreply 11February 28, 2020 5:43 AM

A guilty pleasure of mine is Jessica Simpson's Greatest Hits album (yes, she has one).

It's surprisingly consistent. She had some really good pop songs.

by Anonymousreply 12February 28, 2020 6:03 AM

R2 Me & U by Cassie came out in 2006? Yikes! Time flies!!! I remember when the song would get played non-stop on the radio, MTV, VH1 and BET! My sister was obsessed with this song, she would play it so much I ended up hating it.

Last year I heard it playing somewhere and it brought back so many memories. I just rewatched the video and its so simple but it works for the song, and she is a very attractive girl, that Cassie!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 13February 28, 2020 6:09 AM

R7 I still love that song.

R10 who doesn't?? Christina hasn't had a bad career since Married.

R13 Long Way To Go was good too. Don't know why she was with Diddy for so long.

by Anonymousreply 14February 28, 2020 7:42 AM

Damn, you're a rocket scientist R11.

by Anonymousreply 15February 28, 2020 7:52 AM

This has to be a spam post, right OP? You've got to be kidding...

I couldn't get more than a minute into it. Simpson with some girl her age, then the two older actresses? And Simpson's lip-synching was gawd-awful...

by Anonymousreply 16February 28, 2020 7:54 AM

It just wasn't that good. The person who described it as a Dollar Tree version of Holiday was totally on point. The hook is lazy and not very memorable. The production is tinny and basic. You can't just emulate a nostalgiac style without modernizing it in some way, otherwise it just sounds dated. As a contrast, Born This Way, Lady Gaga's version of another Madonna production, Express Yourself, gave it a fresh take by incorporating current sounds and production elements.

Much better was Jessica Simpson's best and last good song, With You, which was a deserved hit in 2009.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 17February 28, 2020 9:45 AM

I loved With You.

Her version of Take My Breath Away was a hit also

by Anonymousreply 18February 28, 2020 2:32 PM

Who the fuck gives a shit, OP? Society and the world are crumbling around us and you're caught up in Jessica-Fucking-Simpson?

Jesus H. Christ!

by Anonymousreply 19February 28, 2020 2:46 PM

R19 Breathe. Bitch

by Anonymousreply 20February 28, 2020 3:34 PM

It’s a cute bop

by Anonymousreply 21May 21, 2020 7:12 PM

It's ok but the tune isn't really that catchy at all.

Faith Evan's also had song shot in a roller disco and the hook is waaayy more memorable.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22May 21, 2020 7:30 PM

It was a cheap remake as others said. I like that song, but it's missing that extra oomph. Beyond what r2 points out, this was one of the last gasps of Jessica's pop career. She was leaving or left Nick, shooting movies, and sort of regulated her music career as an after thought. She had already peaked. She can't dance or really perform so she was unable to properly market the song with dazzling live performances.

I also want to mention that Jessica was always RCA's version of Britney, but the public wanted to see Spears. Britney was making news again and Paris Hilton was ruling celeb media with her squad a girls. Jessica just didn't fit the times and is a rather boring pop star. Basically, as soon as Spears came back into the limelight, Jessica (the pop star) was shown the door. Even in 2006 no one was checking for her music career and her albums and singles were barely making news.

by Anonymousreply 23May 21, 2020 7:33 PM

r17 With You came out in 2003. Simpson had a very short shelf life in the spotlight. That song was her only hit after she obtained her reality TV fame.

by Anonymousreply 24May 21, 2020 7:34 PM

R24 her versions of Angels and Take My Breath Away were hits.

by Anonymousreply 25May 21, 2020 7:40 PM

R22 ummmm but that song was a HIT.

by Anonymousreply 26May 21, 2020 7:40 PM

Love Like This is a staple for DJs. I hear it at parties, weddings, etc.

by Anonymousreply 27May 21, 2020 7:42 PM

I apologize r25 you're correct about Take My Breath Away.

by Anonymousreply 28May 21, 2020 7:43 PM

R26 nope, per op Jessica Simpsons roller derby celeb party never caught on.

I'm saying it's because the song was trash. Now Faith Evan's didn't have the celeb flash but the song sounded much better so that is why it's memorable.

by Anonymousreply 29May 21, 2020 7:45 PM

Wrong thread lol. But be warned Simpson fans, I love my meat!

by Anonymousreply 30May 21, 2020 7:47 PM

R29 Faith Evan’s song was a HIT. We’ve all heard that song.

by Anonymousreply 31May 21, 2020 7:55 PM

And Jessica Simpsons song wasn't.

Lipstick on a pig (of a song) will never be a hit.

by Anonymousreply 32May 21, 2020 7:59 PM

I like this song but this came after Pink parodied Jessica in her “Stupid Girl’s” song; from Jessica’s boots we’re made for walking” and even though we already knew that Jessica was a ditzy blonde, there just was no return for her and it seemed that unlike Britney and Xtina who managed to continue to adapt with the industry, she didn’t.

by Anonymousreply 33May 21, 2020 8:01 PM

Derivative of holiday and Lucky Star.

The music video was a cheap imitation of Sorry set in a roller rink with C-list celebrities.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34May 21, 2020 8:02 PM

Britney is the face of those girls. Jessica had a career because of Britney.

by Anonymousreply 35May 21, 2020 8:05 PM

Xtina could NOT change with the times. Her career was a massive flop after she got married. She’s been trying but her fan base just wasn’t there. I think the Dirty music video right after the Beautiful was a bridge too for many passive homophobic and sexist fans. She was labeled a slut. She did well with Back to Basics, but it also matured her look a bit to much. Then she took a 4 year gap that was way to long. When she came back, Lady Gaga was in her spot, with less annoying vocal runs.

Her albums themselves were also an issues. She would have like 15 tracks. She throws everything she has at her projects which fails to build a narrative. Her over singing and diva antics polarized people in the industry. She told Pink that she would sing the high notes in Lady Marmalade. Makes sense, but you don’t have to treat another established artist like a backup singer. Pink still sells out shows word wide and is respected for her little slice of the industry, meanwhile Xtina hasn’t gotten her foot g until her Vegas Residency.

by Anonymousreply 36May 21, 2020 8:28 PM

Pink has more hits than Xtina now, ironically, being that Xtina was a complete bitch to her when they were going to record Lady Marmalade

by Anonymousreply 37May 21, 2020 8:30 PM

OMG, I loved that Pink song, Stupid Girls! No fucking way could she release that song/video today. It would probably be considered slut shaming.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 38May 21, 2020 8:33 PM

And fuck it, I love this song too. Yes, I know it cheesy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39May 21, 2020 8:34 PM

[quote]Faith Evan's also had song shot in a roller disco and the hook is waaayy more memorable.

Faith Evan's what, dear?

You too, R31.

by Anonymousreply 40May 21, 2020 9:10 PM

I think Paris Hilton's "Stars are Blind" song did even better than this song. HAHAHAHA

by Anonymousreply 41May 21, 2020 9:24 PM

R40 at least you're nice's about it thi's time.

by Anonymousreply 42May 21, 2020 9:30 PM

Senior year of High School, my dramatic ass used to secretly love this song as well.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43May 21, 2020 9:53 PM

If Holiday only peaked at #16 for Madonna, you think this shitty ripoff was going to do better for a tartlette 6 years past her expiration date?

by Anonymousreply 44May 21, 2020 9:56 PM

Imagine Reshad Strik the way he looks in the video d@ the 2:00 mark, not in R9 's picture with light brown hair. I get a resemblance to Nick Lachey.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45May 21, 2020 9:58 PM

R43 Lol, I loved that era. Remember Nick Lachey’s response video with Vanessa?!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46May 21, 2020 10:00 PM

I know straight guys that really liked that song, even though it was marketed to women. Peaking at #2 isn’t a bad showing for Nick. That little belt at the end was as they say, the money note. Good breakup song.

by Anonymousreply 47May 21, 2020 10:05 PM

R46 that era were my middle and high school days. It all brings back good memories. If only I knew about DL back in the day.

by Anonymousreply 48May 21, 2020 10:06 PM

I was in middle school too, but funny enough my parents were/are HUGE reality tv fans and would make a point to watch Newlyweds whenever it was on. They would even watch Ashlee Simpson’s show with Ryan Cabrera. I still love this song!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 49May 21, 2020 10:16 PM

Ryan Cabrera, a blast from the past. Remember when he invited MTV Cribs to his house without changing his sheets on his bed. He had like drool or jizz stains in his pillow. What a mess. We could have an entire thread dedicated to Cribs.

I also remember when some teenagers randomly showed up at Nick and Jessica’s house while they were filming. Nick answered the door and told them not to come back. Now with social media you have influence, the Paul brothers, doing pranks and having crowds of fans outside of their house terrorizing their neighbors.

by Anonymousreply 50May 21, 2020 10:28 PM

Nick was a dick on their show.

by Anonymousreply 51May 21, 2020 10:30 PM

Hate this song and the video. But watching Newlyweds was a big guilty pleasure of mine. I wonder if Jessica really cheated on Nick with (ew) Bam Magera. I’d love to know what really went down in that marriage.

by Anonymousreply 52May 21, 2020 10:50 PM

[Quote] Ryan Cabrera, a blast from the past.

He was on so many reality shows. I remember when he was on The Hills "dating" Audrina. I'm not sure if that was before or after he got with one of the Veronicas. Then he showed up on Pretty Wild.

by Anonymousreply 53May 22, 2020 4:56 AM

I loved Pretty Wild!!!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 54May 22, 2020 3:46 PM

I think this was Jessica’s first big song

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 55May 22, 2020 3:47 PM

Her first big song was her debut single.

by Anonymousreply 56May 22, 2020 3:47 PM

I Wanna Love You Forever was her first big song. You could tell off the bat that this girl was in serious trouble with her voice. You can just hear the strain and terrible technique in the freaking studio version. But, RCA only cared about touching a Mariah note and didn’t teach Jessica how to actually sing. Her voice just got worse and worse until she popped a vocal chord. Now, her voice is shot.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57May 22, 2020 3:58 PM

R54 I wish they'd done another season.

by Anonymousreply 58May 22, 2020 4:08 PM

This song is cute, but it was released too late. It would have done better 2 or 3 years sooner

by Anonymousreply 59September 13, 2020 11:17 PM

R57, that song came out when I was in high school. I don't remember it being so awful. Her voice is so grating.

by Anonymousreply 60September 14, 2020 12:04 AM

R2 Britney was doing this type of sound on her 3rd album in 2001. This definitely doesn't sound like what was on the radio in 2006 (my senior year in high school!)

by Anonymousreply 61September 14, 2020 12:07 AM

R61 my senior year also!

by Anonymousreply 62September 14, 2020 12:20 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!