Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hockey’s 1980 “Miracle on Ice“ Team chooses Trump

If he had to do it again, hockey legend Mike Eruzione said, he would not put on the red “Keep America Great” hat. He and his teammates from the 1980 U.S. Olympic hockey squad hadn’t meant to make a grand political statement when they appeared onstage as President Trump’s surprise guests at a campaign rally in Las Vegas on Friday. They happened to be in town to celebrate the 40th anniversary of the “Miracle on Ice” — their shocking upset of the Soviet Union en route to the gold medal, perhaps the most unifying moment in American sports history — when they got a call from Trump’s campaign inviting them to a private photo line with the president. The next thing they knew, Eruzione said, Trump was introducing them at the rally and a campaign aide was handing them the caps as they took the stage. Four of the former players chose not to wear them — but 10 others did, prompting a huge backlash on social media from Trump’s critics, who view the distinctive red campaign hats as sharply politicized symbols of hate, racism and xenophobia.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 33March 6, 2020 10:03 PM

Fuck ‘em.

It’s utterly idiotic to claim “I didn’t know!”

by Anonymousreply 1February 25, 2020 7:35 PM

They wore political hats at a political rally but supposedly didn't know it was political? Sure.

by Anonymousreply 2February 25, 2020 7:42 PM

They beat the Russians, get it? Trump couldn't have any collusion because he sided with us. USA, USA, USA!!!

by Anonymousreply 3February 25, 2020 8:20 PM

Well ya did, Mike. Ya DID. Trumo is trying to ruin everything, but fuck him and that whore he rode in on.

by Anonymousreply 4February 25, 2020 8:58 PM

^^Trump. For those of you who might be confused about who I was talking about.

by Anonymousreply 5February 25, 2020 8:59 PM

Cop out, he didn't like the heat but he voted for Trump, is a member of one of his golf clubs and ran there fast enough for the photo op.

by Anonymousreply 6February 25, 2020 9:02 PM

Fuck them. They were my heroes. I can’t believe they are this horrid.

Complete turn off

by Anonymousreply 7February 25, 2020 9:32 PM

The tweet quoted in the article is right on target.

Something like “In 1980, you owned the Russians. Today, the Russians own you.”

by Anonymousreply 8February 25, 2020 9:33 PM

[quote] They were my heroes

If I live to be 100 I will never understand that statement.

by Anonymousreply 9February 25, 2020 9:50 PM

Fuck ‘em

by Anonymousreply 10February 28, 2020 10:30 PM

It's a miracle none of those middle-aged ex-hockey players are in jail for rape or dead from alcoholism. Yet.

by Anonymousreply 11February 28, 2020 10:33 PM

Must be 10 convenient cases of dane braimage.

by Anonymousreply 12February 28, 2020 10:33 PM

Fuck them.

I admired them and was watching when they beat the Soviets.

Now I'd spit on them. Fucking MAGAts. They knew exactly what they were doing and didn't GAF.

Way to shit can your entire legacy, assholes!

by Anonymousreply 13February 28, 2020 10:48 PM

That is wack and a major bummer, dude.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 28, 2020 10:50 PM

For the first time since it happened I’m relieved Michael Mantenuto died so young. He would have been shattered to learn this.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 15February 29, 2020 2:10 PM

You know your political career is headed STRAIGHT DOWN THE SHITTER when you have to stage and steal endorsements.

Trump has raped dozens of women, why not rape the U.S. Olympic hockey team, too?

#Desperation

by Anonymousreply 16February 29, 2020 5:47 PM

Do they not see the irony? They defeated our enemy, the Russians. NOW they support a President that endorses Putin and Russia's interference?

Patriotic my ass.

by Anonymousreply 17February 29, 2020 5:54 PM

Which four players refused to wear the caps?

by Anonymousreply 18February 29, 2020 6:11 PM

Mike Eruzione’s such an idiot for claiming “I had no idea this was political!”

by Anonymousreply 19March 1, 2020 2:56 AM

I don’t think Rizzo was ever a brain-trust, R19. In fact there were only a few all-round smart guys on that team, Jack O’Callahan & foremost among them. Most were community college kids on jock scholarships.

by Anonymousreply 20March 1, 2020 10:33 AM

They should run Herbies until they apologise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21March 2, 2020 7:46 PM

They’ve lost whatever goodwill they had built up in 40 years.

by Anonymousreply 22March 2, 2020 7:52 PM

Yeah, are we shocked? Most athletes are Trump supporters. I thought this was common knowledge?

by Anonymousreply 23March 2, 2020 7:55 PM

Mike Eruzione has a new autobiography out. Fodder for a book burning

by Anonymousreply 24March 2, 2020 8:14 PM

Some of the team wore the hats. Some didn't. The ones that did are trying to make it seem like they wore them to be cooperative in that situation. But surely they knew that if they wore the hats it would be assumed that they're supporters of Trump. Anyway, the MAGA hat wearing members of the "Miracle on Ice" hockey team sound like idiots.

by Anonymousreply 25March 2, 2020 8:21 PM

I wonder if any of the team were fucking in their rooms at Lake Placid forty years ago.

I mean, they were young and full of testosterone & adrenaline, and there was all that external pressure on them, and they were supposed to be bonding as a team...

by Anonymousreply 26March 2, 2020 9:48 PM

Expecting a bunch of elderly high-school coaches, speakers-for-hire and rink-a-dink entrepreneurs who used to play Cawlidge Hawkey to have a progressive political stance?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27March 3, 2020 10:40 PM

‘Boys of Winter’ is an excellent book about them. No mention of their politics in it as I recall, though.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28March 5, 2020 9:22 AM

[quote] But surely they knew that if they wore the hats it would be assumed that they're supporters of Trump.

Um, showing up at a Trump rally did that already

by Anonymousreply 29March 5, 2020 4:33 PM

"Um, showing up at a Trump rally did that already."

I don't think they considered themselves there to be in support of Trump. I think they may have just considered going there to be part of a photo session a gesture of politeness. Seems to me they were kind of duped. They let themselves be used. They don't seem like a bunch of very bright guys, although the ones who didn't wear the hats obviously had more brains than the others. It's amazing that they seemed surprised to get such a backlash by wearing the hats. Obviously they didn't believe they were making a political statement by wearing them, they were just being cooperative. The dummies.

by Anonymousreply 30March 5, 2020 8:27 PM

Trump’s ascension to the presidency was on the shoulders of idiots like Eruzione.

Sheep, who can’t or don’t want to think for themselves and take the easy way out by going with the mob mentality.

by Anonymousreply 31March 5, 2020 8:46 PM

Most athletes TODAY are deplorables, let alone hockey players from 40 years ago. This isn't shocking, nor is it news, this is just what's to be expected.

by Anonymousreply 32March 6, 2020 3:12 AM

Who’s the cheapshotter, now?

by Anonymousreply 33March 6, 2020 10:03 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!