Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Dog Adoption HELL

My partner and I want to adopt a rescue dog. We are great pet parents, and since our beloved previous dog died two years ago, we knew we’d take time to consider if we want to get another one.

Well we found him, but check out what the rescue group requires from us JUST to apply:

10 pages long, with a detailed description of our philosophy toward dog ownership, our history of current and past pet ownership over the past 10 years, a detailed description of our current and previous pets’ veterinary care (right down to the current medications you use for heart worm and flea/tick control of existing dogs), a veterinary reference, three personal references, a description of our current home environment, including indoor rooms the dog will have access to, outdoor space including square footage of fenced-in areas, amount of time the dog would be on its own during the week, identification of someone who would care for the dog if we travel on vacation, current employment of every adult in the household, their office locations, our ability to pay for training if needed, whether we’ve ever been turned down for a pet adoption application, and reasons why we might return a dog to the rescue society.

These bitches are CRAZY! We could adopt a baby for less than what they are requiring.

by Anonymousreply 114June 12, 2021 6:13 AM

This better be an EST because that is insane! Just go to a farmhouse and steal a puppy at that point

by Anonymousreply 1February 23, 2020 7:11 PM

Go to the humane society and save a dog's life

Thread closed

by Anonymousreply 2February 23, 2020 7:12 PM

Mine took five minutes, a comparability check with our other dog, and $175. Not that hard.

by Anonymousreply 3February 23, 2020 7:14 PM

We accidentally adopted a wolf, and had to give him to another rescue because he was crazy. We recently got a puppy from a breeder that we know, and she’s lovely. Will never go to a rescue again. Too many pitties, chihuahuas and animals that aren’t dogs.

by Anonymousreply 4February 23, 2020 7:14 PM

Go to Mexico and pick one up from the street.

by Anonymousreply 5February 23, 2020 7:15 PM

That’s what I don’t understand: WHY are they making it so difficult? Isn’t the goal to find a good home for the animal?

by Anonymousreply 6February 23, 2020 7:17 PM

I could understand a few pages for an app, OP. They aren't a toy store, after all, and it's good they check to ensure success for the dog and for you.

Clearly, though, these folks seem to have gone way over the top. Some places do.

by Anonymousreply 7February 23, 2020 7:18 PM

OP, people that run rescues are all crazy, that’s why. They try to avoid people returning dogs, because a lot of them are pitt bulls with trauma that most people can’t handle. Just fork out the dough and get a dog that is a known quantity. You’ll be so much happier!

by Anonymousreply 8February 23, 2020 7:19 PM

[quote] We accidentally adopted a wolf, and had to give him to another rescue because he was crazy.

Doesn’t sound legitimate. A true rescue group wouldn’t let a wolf be adopted. They’d ensure it’s taken to a wolf refuge.

by Anonymousreply 9February 23, 2020 7:37 PM

Go to a shelter. Those rescue groups are crazy.

by Anonymousreply 10February 23, 2020 7:48 PM

Find a different group, trust me even if you pass the tests and get the dog they will still stay in your business!

by Anonymousreply 11February 23, 2020 8:04 PM

R4, I think I speak for many of us when I want to know how you adopted a wolf. When did you learn it was a wolf? What kind of dog did you initially think it was?

by Anonymousreply 12February 23, 2020 8:06 PM

My parents adopted a boxer from a rescue group and the process was literally like adopting a child. Long application, a resume and history of dog ownership, a list of references, their work or daily schedule, a long interview process, AND they had to come out to their house to inspect if it was pet safe and interview other residents (my aunt and uncle who were staying with them for a few months). I told them to just go to the local animal shelter, but my dad really wanted a boxer.

by Anonymousreply 13February 23, 2020 8:11 PM

R12.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 23, 2020 8:17 PM

R13, did he end up getting a boxer? They’re wonderful dogs.

by Anonymousreply 15February 23, 2020 8:18 PM

The animal shelter was easier. Found a nervous, but cute, shaggy four year old miniature poodle who’d been picked up wandering the streets.

They insisted on an in home visit; but we met their approval.

by Anonymousreply 16February 23, 2020 8:19 PM

Oh yes! Rescue, particularly pittie rescues, are certifiably nuts. They hold weekly open houses during which they adopt out zero rescues because they treat the process as though prospective dog owners are canine abusers or run dog fighting rings in their suburban homes. A friend was willing to adopt one of the rescues (she already had one pittie), and they relented and allowed her to "foster" one for two weeks. They showed up at her house SIX TIMES in those two weeks, unannounced, to ascertain whether their rescue was being well cared for. She ended up at the SPCA and adopted one of theirs who had been in custody for a few months.

This rescue runs on large donations, so they do not seem particularly interested in finding new homes for their dogs. Until, I suppose, their funding dries up during the next economic downturn.

by Anonymousreply 17February 23, 2020 8:28 PM

I’m the person who posted about adopting a wolf. They told us he was a lab mix, and we were told by a wolf rescue that he was a wolf, and had a DNA test to confirm. This was not a pleasant experience. Our previous dog was an amazing, beautiful, gentle beagle mix rescue from Colorado, and we realize we were really lucky.

We considered rescues again, but didn’t want to go through the same trauma. “What kind of dog is this?” we would ask, “Oh, probably a lab with a little bit of pitt bull”. No thanks! Most likely 90% pitt bull. It’s better to get a known quantity, puppies are already a lot of work.

by Anonymousreply 18February 23, 2020 8:36 PM

Go to Chinese restaurant before the dinner rush. Knock on back door. Give Hop Sing $20 and voila, dog!

by Anonymousreply 19February 23, 2020 8:37 PM

I don’t get the whole pittie thing, they’re crazy dogs.

by Anonymousreply 20February 23, 2020 8:48 PM

[quote] They told us he was a lab mix,

I’m surprised you fell for that given the dissimilarity between wolves and labs.

What was crazy about the wolf?

by Anonymousreply 21February 23, 2020 8:52 PM

Unfortunately OP, I have heard several stories fairly identical to yours.

It's a combination that the people who run these rescues are indeed borderline and they don't want the dog further traumatized by having someone bring it back or abandon it again.

While rescue dogs are indeed super trendy, they are often a lot of work and have many personality issues--they don't get along with other dogs, they're afraid of people, they're skittish around loud noises, etc. And they need someone who can work with them to help them get over those issues. That is often only accomplished via a professional trainer/dog shrink, so they want to make sure you've got the funds.

Similarly, many rescues suffer from separation anxiety and don't like to be left alone and/or will destroy a house if left alone for too long--again, they need to be sure whoever is taking them knows that

by Anonymousreply 22February 23, 2020 8:55 PM

Stop using the term "pittie". It makes all of you sound like bigger idiots than you already are

by Anonymousreply 23February 23, 2020 8:58 PM

Rescues exist because breeders (both "legitimate" and backyard) exist. Go to a shelter and stop supporting the crazy rescues (if you can find a sane one, support them because we really do need people to do the rescue work until the breeders and crazy dog-fighting pit bull assholes stop breeding dogs in a world that already has too many dogs). Breeding dogs should be outlawed. It's not only making too many dogs, it's making unhealthy dogs.

Find your local animal shelter and get a nice middle aged dog.

by Anonymousreply 24February 23, 2020 9:00 PM

R21 He was a wolf/dog mix, so it wasn’t apparent. He was also very sick, covered in feces and urine, and we saved his life. No need for judgement. How would you know, do you operate a wolf or wolf dog rescue?

by Anonymousreply 25February 23, 2020 9:01 PM

Told you it was a lab mixed with what, R18?!

by Anonymousreply 26February 23, 2020 9:02 PM

[quote I don’t get the whole pittie thing, they’re crazy dogs.

They're not all bad, but I have to say, as much as I love some pit bulls, I would be extremely wary of adopting one from a rescue. Of all the breeds out there, I think a pit bull MUST be raised from puppyhood to ensure it's properly socialized and trained.

It's just too dicey to adopt a pit from a shelter, because it may have a trigger for protection that no one has, well, triggered before.

by Anonymousreply 27February 23, 2020 9:03 PM

R26 it’s always the same story, rescues say it’s a mix with probably a little bit of pitt bull.

by Anonymousreply 28February 23, 2020 9:05 PM

Are they lesbian, because that sounds like Lesbian Dog Drama waiting to happen. They tend to be involved with rescue.

by Anonymousreply 29February 23, 2020 9:08 PM

Just adopt a Cat.

by Anonymousreply 30February 23, 2020 9:08 PM

OP and r13 please don’t minimize the process of adopting a child by comparing it to adopting a rescue dog. I know several people who have adopted children and the process is far more complicated.

by Anonymousreply 31February 23, 2020 9:10 PM

This is what all good rescue agencies do OP. They want to ensure a good and loving home for the dog. Also shelters have a very high rate of retuned pets. They obviously want to avoid this. We went through the process for our two rescues and it was well worth it.

by Anonymousreply 32February 23, 2020 9:10 PM

Adopting a child ain't all THAT hard, toots.

by Anonymousreply 33February 23, 2020 9:11 PM

Go away, R31. We'd be better off with fewer children and fewer dogs in the world.

by Anonymousreply 34February 23, 2020 9:11 PM

Rescue people are crazy.

by Anonymousreply 35February 23, 2020 9:18 PM

We got our dog through one of the rescues that OP describes. Yes it was a very detailed process but we ended up with a wonderful Jack Russel mix . By the way, I did my own research on the organization during the process. I even ran a background check on the person that was fostering our dog before we got him. So it works both ways if your'e really serious about adopting. Don't let them be in control. By the way, everything checked out on all of them. There were no red flags. We are still in touch with the woman who fostered our dog.

by Anonymousreply 36February 23, 2020 9:22 PM

The rescue workers are always 98 percent women.

Crazy bitches, mostly.

by Anonymousreply 37February 23, 2020 9:23 PM

We tried that route too and got so frustrated we went with a breeder! All the breeders (three) we met with were straight-up white trash, but we picked the least trashy one and ended up paying $1400 for our baby. But we love our Collie so all is good ❤️

by Anonymousreply 38February 23, 2020 9:24 PM

R25, where is the wolf/lab mix now?

by Anonymousreply 39February 23, 2020 9:27 PM

You are a big part of the problem, R38. Congrats on your dog and all the future health problems you've bought. If you ever want a kid, make sure you find a pure white one. Wouldn't want any "undesirable mutt" in there, right?

by Anonymousreply 40February 23, 2020 9:27 PM

I prefer to call them “wufs”!

by Anonymousreply 41February 23, 2020 9:28 PM

I’m a serial dog adopter and definitely on the side of rescue centres taking care before allowing an adoption, but that seem rather excessive, OP.

I’ve adopted all my dogs from two centres (over a dozen, over the years; I generally adopt large seniors no one else wants). In both cases, I only had to jump through hoops the first time. There was a chat about why I wanted to adopt, a walk around the centre, 2 or 3 pages of info to supply, and finally a home visit by one of their staff. Then it was just a case of finding the right dogs. I don’t have a particularly large house or garden, and they were mostly interested in knowing my working pattern, whether my yard was secure, and where the dog would sleep. The whole process was really laid back. I think if I had been subjected to an interrogation, I probably would not have adopted.

by Anonymousreply 42February 23, 2020 9:31 PM

Apparently people who try to breed wolves with dogs are not uncommon - Tia from Pit Bulls and Parolees got her start as a rescue saving dogs and wolves that someone had tried to breed and which were hoarded/abused.

by Anonymousreply 43February 23, 2020 9:34 PM

Re the wolf story, I don’t know how a wolf could end up in a pet shelter, but I went to the national zoo a couple of weeks ago and was surprised by the grey wolf. It was at the top of a hill and it started descending, perched on a ledge and panted. If I saw it on the street I would never know it wasn’t a gigantic domestic dog breed. It was kind of adorable. It came all the way down and just nosed around at the people in the window like a regular dog.

by Anonymousreply 44February 23, 2020 9:36 PM

A timber wolf/lab (“wolador”).

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 23, 2020 9:38 PM

More on the whole wolf/dog deal

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 23, 2020 9:38 PM

[quote] Wolves and otters, theys my favorites

Mines too!

by Anonymousreply 47February 23, 2020 9:40 PM

In my area, all the "rescues" immediately snap up any of the decent dogs from animal control and the only dogs left are pit bulls and chihuahuas. With the exception of a couple of them, these rescues are so excessive in their demands and expectations that they now seem to be steering people towards breeders! We've had some friends and neighbors who looked first at rescues and then ended up going to breeders because it the process was too nuts. One couple were denied a dog because for one day out of the week no one would be home for about 7 hours. They were going to install a doggie door and have a dog walker come by once a day, and it still wasn't enough for the rescue. I understand the rescues' concerns, but they're passing on good adopters in pursuit of perfection.

by Anonymousreply 48February 23, 2020 9:41 PM

a: one definitely has to have a personality disorder or emotional issues to do dog rescue.

b: google puppy doe.

c: every time a dog is returned it greatly lessens the likelihood of it finding an appropriate home in a timely manner.

by Anonymousreply 49February 23, 2020 9:41 PM

When did “rescue” become a noun?

by Anonymousreply 50February 23, 2020 9:41 PM

[quote] He was also very sick, covered in feces and urine, and we saved his life.

Why would a dog rescuer leave a dog covered in feces & urine? Aren't *they* supposed to rescue the dogs & feed & clean them rather than leaving them all filthy while waiting for someone to come adopt them?

by Anonymousreply 51February 23, 2020 9:42 PM

I really think rescues are great overall, and most do the best they can with very limited resources. They're either someone's personal mission - dependent on donations - or something that comes out of supporting the limited money that a city/state can spend on animal control.

I don't know that all of them are as bad as OP said, but certainly there are some that take it to the opposite extreme.

by Anonymousreply 52February 23, 2020 9:47 PM

Something doesn’t smell right about R4/R25, and it’s not the feces and using. One doesn’t just accidentally adopt a wolf, even a wolf/Labrador mix. One seeks out wolf mixes.

by Anonymousreply 53February 23, 2020 9:47 PM

Something doesn’t smell right about R4/R25, and it’s not the feces and urine. One doesn’t just accidentally adopt a wolf, even a wolf/Labrador mix. One seeks out wolf mixes.

by Anonymousreply 54February 23, 2020 9:48 PM

a lot of people consider buying from a back yard breeder (or the Amish) as 'adopting' or 'rescuing' a dog when in fact they are the source of the problem.

by Anonymousreply 55February 23, 2020 9:49 PM

Oh, I don't know R53/R54. I think it's possible. It may not be apparent until its behavior starts to distinguish it.

by Anonymousreply 56February 23, 2020 9:50 PM

R15, Yes, he adopted a handsome fawn boxer, who looks like this guy at the link below. He's such a sweet dog that I want to take him for myself.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 57February 23, 2020 9:54 PM

R57 OHHHH! That little face!

by Anonymousreply 58February 23, 2020 9:55 PM

I love boxers. They're a bit rowdy sometimes, very stubborn and can be a wee neurotic, but I have yet to meet a boxer who wasn't sweet.

by Anonymousreply 59February 23, 2020 9:56 PM

Awesome, R57. Thanks for sharing.

by Anonymousreply 60February 23, 2020 9:57 PM

[quote]Breeding dogs should be outlawed. It's not only making too many dogs, it's making unhealthy dogs.

If breeding was outlawed then we would only have pit bulls, pit bull mixes, and chihuahuas left in this country. People would then pay exorbitant amounts to import purebred dogs from other countries,

by Anonymousreply 61February 23, 2020 10:12 PM

Breeding dogs need not be completely outlawed but it should be *regulated* and in many states, especially the South, it's not at all.

I know reputable breeders who treat their dogs well, don't overwork them, and take care of them. But too many just crank out pups and throw out the mama after she's done.

The Animal Planet show Amanda to the Rescue shows a lot of medical special needs dogs that were just that - either born deformed due to bad breeding, or dogs that grew bones badly and/or were otherwise damaged because they were raised in a cage smaller than a shoebox, because the breeders were money grubbing hogs from hell.

by Anonymousreply 62February 23, 2020 10:18 PM

The South is just really, really out of control with its lack of animal control. Many rural areas have none at all. They'd just as soon shoot a dog.

There's a great lab rescue, For The Love of Labs, and they get 70 percent of their labs and lab puppies from breeding and hoarding situations in the rural deep South.

by Anonymousreply 63February 23, 2020 10:20 PM

I rescued a puppy in Barbados. It was pretty easy. I saw a man abusing the poor pup (he was choking her). I gave him $40 dollars and some friendly people at the hotel took me and pup to the vet. More nice people there got me an appointment with the government animal/agriculture center. Cost $35 and got certificate for export (Barbados is rabies free). Then I paid $125 or so for her to ride in the cabin with me back to NY.

I thought she was going to be a smaller dog but she started growing and growing and is now about 60 lbs.

Sophie has been my favorite companion for the past 8 years, and I am so thankful that I was there for her, and here's a shout out to all the great people in Barbados who helped us out.

by Anonymousreply 64February 23, 2020 10:20 PM

I think people should have done to them what they do to others. Abuse a dog, go in the cage he was in. Beat an animal, you get beat. Dog fight proponent? Hope you do well in the ring the next time. Shoot an animal. Goodbye.

by Anonymousreply 65February 23, 2020 10:23 PM

R64 did you ever think that she may have trouble communicating with dogs here in the states because of her Barbados Barking accent? How inconsiderate of you!

by Anonymousreply 66February 23, 2020 10:56 PM

I think breeders should be highly regulated and no puppies can be sold until they have been spayed or neutered. Unfortunately, even if this was applied and enforced, the shelters would still be full because people are assholes.

by Anonymousreply 67February 23, 2020 10:57 PM

you joke r66 but I had a foster from Puerto Rico and he only spoke Spanish. I only speak English. he was an alcoholic, he ate the top off of every bottle of perfume I had and would try to lick the perfume.

by Anonymousreply 68February 23, 2020 11:03 PM

They need to up the criminal penalties. The only thing stupid people understand is corporal punishment. We should start being more like Singapore with some of this stuff. We also need to cull the human herd, but that's a whole other proposition.

by Anonymousreply 69February 23, 2020 11:05 PM

My Barbadian rescue dog is very friendly and loves to swim in the ocean (or lakes).

by Anonymousreply 70February 23, 2020 11:14 PM

R64 - You’re amazing!! Best story I’ve read all week ❤️

by Anonymousreply 71February 23, 2020 11:23 PM

I remember when I was in Puerto Vallarta how many stray dogs they had running around. I wanted to bring so many home!

by Anonymousreply 72February 23, 2020 11:31 PM

We had to go through the same stupid process. We eventually went to the local pound and they were very grateful we adopted.

by Anonymousreply 73February 23, 2020 11:38 PM

I volunteered with a cat rescue and they were insane. An older couple wanted to adopt a young cat (about 8 months old) and were denied because when their previous cat had a cardiology issue, they didn't take the cat to a veterinary cardiologist but just to their regular vet, The process was ridiculous-by the time people who wanted a kitten would be approved, the cat would be a year old!

by Anonymousreply 74February 23, 2020 11:53 PM

R64, what breed is Sophie?

by Anonymousreply 75February 23, 2020 11:57 PM

Likely Potcake r75

by Anonymousreply 76February 24, 2020 12:01 AM

I've lived in the south for the past 3 years and the attitude towards animals is absolutely appalling. I'm on a dog rescue Facebook group, and my city is pretty small, and the number of abandoned dogs just dropped off in the middle of nowhere is jaw dropping. Fortunately, there are good people who take these dogs in and care for them. But it's really a sea change from where I was in the Midwest.

To wit, last fall I found a Yorkie in my apartment parking lot. Maybe five years old, female, friendly as all get-out. I took her in because we have foxes in the area and she never would have survived. I put up posters everywhere, spam Facebook, checked for a microchip, got on the next door app, and walked her around the neighborhood thinking that she just got out and would find her way home. Absolutely nothing. I ended up her to a neighbor and now she's spoiled rotten.

My husband still lives in the Midwest and I'm there five months out of the year. We really want to get a companion dog for our pug (he's big at 38 lbs, but not fat and quite active and extremely friendly), but the shelters are about 98% pitbulls. Not exaggerating. They can call them whatever they want, but you can tell a pitbull when you see them. I feel bad for them, but I don't want one.

by Anonymousreply 77February 24, 2020 12:14 AM

R75 She is a potcake dog like R76 said.

She is similar to the one in the link but is bigger, and has a touch of Ridgeback in her as she has a small ridge.

One of her ears is up and the other flaps down. Very Cute.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 78February 24, 2020 2:36 AM

I had a similar experience with cat rescues. I was more than willing to adopt a senior pet, or a bonded pair. The paperwork was ridiculous, as well as the interviews. Then they wanted to tour my home. As I told each one, I commute between Maryland and North Carolina about twice a month, have a home in one state and a small place in the other.

After a lot of stuttering, they finally decided a home tour wasn't needed. The final straw was me traveling with a pet cat.

After 40+ years, I decided the hell with it, found a reputable breeder and purchased a pair of sweet girls. They were socialized, fully tested, vaccinated and spayed. And they now travel with me regularly.

by Anonymousreply 79February 24, 2020 4:12 AM

In my experience, rescue folks are well-intentioned but unreasonable.

by Anonymousreply 80February 24, 2020 2:19 PM

Buy a Mac instead.

by Anonymousreply 81February 24, 2020 2:38 PM

I never adopt from these pissy "no-kill" shelters. By definition, the animals have a home for life. Their attitude is shameful. They assume you are a lousy pet owner and the burden of proof is on you. The animals at the local pound are truly desperate. The volunteers are wonderful and treat you like gold. I always go with the intention of adopting one and always end up adopting two.

by Anonymousreply 82February 24, 2020 4:35 PM

[quote] I always go with the intention of adopting one and always end up adopting two.

How often do you go? is this a hoarding problem?

by Anonymousreply 83February 24, 2020 4:40 PM

R83...No, I only adopt after losing pets to old age usually.

by Anonymousreply 84February 25, 2020 4:25 AM

How old are you r84?

by Anonymousreply 85February 25, 2020 4:35 AM

Not all rescues are this ridiculous. I adopted my dog after a couple of meetings for compatibility, and returning him was an option if he didn't get along with my cat, but fortunately he's terrified of her, so it wasn't a problem.

You might as well turn the tables on *them* and demand to know what they require for adoptions before you even bother looking at the dogs they have up for adoption. If they require anything more than money upfront and a promise to return the dog to them if things don't work out, then walk away.

Shelters can be hit or miss depending on where you live. California is rich with toy dogs and designer breeds, but plenty of people don't want that kind of dog. Other areas have mostly pits, which is a dealbreaker for me. My area is dog crazy, so it's really hard to find dogs of any breed or temperament at my local shelter, which is why I went with a rescue.

Shelters are almost always good for adopting cats though. Millions more unwanted cats than dogs are put down every year.

by Anonymousreply 86February 25, 2020 4:43 AM

R84...69

by Anonymousreply 87February 25, 2020 4:46 AM

OMG. I had the exact same situation. They wanted to see my apartment. Interview me. It was ridiculous. I gave up. Found a stray cat. He's great. Sitting near me now.

by Anonymousreply 88February 25, 2020 5:04 AM

i know of a husband/wife couple who are BOTH vets and got turned down by a rescue because of some issue with their property. but let rescues be nutty. its not like the people who work for them get paid all that well. and they are constantly dealing with animals that have been terribly abused and neglected when the animals are at their worst.

by Anonymousreply 89February 25, 2020 7:00 AM

Bump

by Anonymousreply 90June 10, 2021 2:12 PM

All rescues are run by animal hoarders.

While I get they need to be careful and there is a perverse logic to making the application process difficult to weed out the people who aren't serious and won't take good care of pets, it's absurd how closely their processes resemble proctology exams.

At the same time, they complain that there aren't enough people willing to adopt. Perhaps they should realize that there is an optimization between thorough vetting and a process that is so onerous that even good applicants are not going to be willing to do.

No, you don't need two years tax returns, especially since you people have not document retention policy and there is no recourse for people whose information you haven't been careful to protect.

by Anonymousreply 91June 10, 2021 2:36 PM

I live in Phoenix and the local county pound is full of dogs. They charge 300 dollars to adopt one. Is this usual? it seems high to me.

by Anonymousreply 92June 10, 2021 3:01 PM

Are they spayed/neutered, heartworm tested, vaccinated and fed? If yes to all it's not too high.

by Anonymousreply 93June 10, 2021 3:02 PM

Yes, the shelter does all of those things but I do wonder iof the 300 dollar fee isn't preventing adoptions. It is not a no kill shelter so I assume the dogs that are not adopted end up gassed.

by Anonymousreply 94June 10, 2021 3:05 PM

Why bump this thread, idiots?

by Anonymousreply 95June 10, 2021 3:06 PM

Don't fuck with me fellas! This ain't my first time with a rescue group! I've fought worse monsters than you at the Humane Society!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96June 10, 2021 3:11 PM

No kill absolutely doesn't mean they don't put dogs down btw, it just means that they don't put dogs down for lack of space. They just stop taking dogs and they put down elsewhere

by Anonymousreply 97June 10, 2021 3:12 PM

I was finally ready for another cat after my previous one died. He’d been a stray off the streets and was an awesome cat. We have a cat rescue place here and I wanted to support them so I went to look at adopting a cat. The people who worked there were so weird, and the process was going to be so involved that I didn’t go through with it. Plus, I just didn’t feel a spark with any of the cats.

Wound up going to the local pound, and instantly fell in love with this handsome tux boy curled up next to my feet right now. He was about a year old when I got him and now he’s 7. All I had to do was pay them and he was mine to take home (after being neutered and chipped). No application. I had to just not look at the dogs while I was there because I feel so,sad for them but I can’t have a dog right now. Maybe when I retire!

by Anonymousreply 98June 10, 2021 3:17 PM

Why shouldn't they properly vet potential dog owners? Part of the problem is people decide to get dogs to accessorize rather than considering it's a living creature and a 10-20 year commitment. Seems if you're not interested in giving it any more consideration than you would in buying a snack you probably shouldn't adopt an animal.

by Anonymousreply 99June 10, 2021 3:20 PM

[quote]Why shouldn't they properly vet potential dog owners?

There is a huge difference between properly vetting a potential owner and making the requirements and hoops so onerous that it effectively eliminates the majority of candidates so that these animal hoarders can pretend like they're "saving" animals.

Alpha Error vs. Beta Error.

by Anonymousreply 100June 10, 2021 3:46 PM

Just go to the pound save a dogs life.

by Anonymousreply 101June 10, 2021 4:00 PM

THANK YOU for that level of detail! You didnt just complain, you shared the exact questions you were being asked.

These are all appropriate questions for a rescue. Every single one speaks to your fitness as a dog owner. Every one is relevant to why dogs are abandoned or neglected in the first place.

The question which areas of the house would the dog be allowed access to--Most people dont have limits. Some do. I had a neighbor who made their dog live in the garage. It was cruel (small dog, freezing winters, law only required "shelter", I know because we reported them).

by Anonymousreply 102June 10, 2021 4:10 PM

My room mate has 3 dogs including a rescued pit bull. The pit bull had an incident with one of the other dogs when it was first added to the household so my room mate worked diligently to train them and socialize them together as a pack and there was peace for 10 years or so. The pit bull is one of the sweetest dogs I've ever met and absolutely adores me. He escorts me wherever I go in the house and waits outside my room for scritches at all hours. He would love nothing more than to be a tiny lapdog who someone carries around all day.

A little over a week ago, I shut a bin of food that the dogs were trying to get into. Out of nowhere, without a sound or any warning, the pit bull turned to the tiny elderly dachshund next to him, chomped down on his neck and shook him. It was only like 2 seconds, if that, and then he was back staring at me like his normal sweet self as if nothing had happened. The dachshund ended up having to be put to sleep a couple of days later.

by Anonymousreply 103June 10, 2021 4:49 PM

I doubt this is an EST. I've seen similar applications. Some people are just plain nuts.

by Anonymousreply 104June 10, 2021 4:53 PM

None if the questions in OPs post seemed onerous. They are all things you should have already considered so answering them really shouldn't be that hard. Im sure they were in a hurry though so they could get those pics posted to instagram and all the adulation from their followers for saving a mutt.

by Anonymousreply 105June 10, 2021 5:18 PM

Regarding the Phoenix post. My partner and I went to the local shelter in Tempe to look for a rescue dog. 95% of the dogs were pit bulls or pit bull mixes. Really sad because I’m sure many of them just need some attention and care. However, as others have posted, I don’t want someone else’s poorly trained pit bull to raise. I spoke with a rescue worker and she said the smaller dogs are usually gone in two days. A woman friend of mine had a pit bull and like her, it was the sweetest dog imaginable. Like owner, like dog. That’s why I hesitate rescuing a pit bull from the pound.

by Anonymousreply 106June 10, 2021 5:55 PM

Yes, I too noted all of the pit bull mixes in the Phoenix dog pound. Are they breed more or is it because no one wants them?

by Anonymousreply 107June 10, 2021 6:13 PM

More people have been getting dogs since COVID because they have more time to spend at home with them. I have a feeling once life returns to some semblance of what it once was, many dogs are going to be surrendered to the pounds.

I've also noticed something becoming fairly common in dog listings. The word "purebred" is being used to describe anything now. "For adoption: Purebred Yorkshire Terrier/Pomeranian/Bichon Mix." Even if the dog is a mix (mongrel), if they know what breeds have been combined, it's referred to as a "purebred". And being a "purebred", or as some like to spell it, "purebread" (I kid you not), it's reflected in the price. So-called breeders are charging thousands for mongrels.

by Anonymousreply 108June 11, 2021 6:28 AM

Get a pig or a chicken.

by Anonymousreply 109June 11, 2021 7:01 AM

[quote]people have been getting dogs since COVID because they have more time to spend at home with them. I have a feeling once life returns to some semblance of what it once was, many dogs are going to be surrendered to the pounds.

This has been happening in England majorly.

Also the incredible price rise of buying a dog since Covid.

Also increased dog theft since the big price rise.

by Anonymousreply 110June 11, 2021 1:46 PM

I adopted a dog from the pound almost 2 months ago and got the exact kind of dog I was seeking (Pom/Pom mix ) it took work and patience but the right one came along after a few months search. I had inquired with a rescue but like other posters have said are too nuts.

The pound is mostly pitbulls and pit mixes (usually an unneutered male around a year old), little dogs (Chihuahuas, Shih Tzus, Yorkies and Terrier mixes, also usually an unneutered male but the little ones were various ages) Those were the main ones but there was quite the variety including: Huskies, Belgian Malnois, Black Mouth Cur, so many and sad because I live in a city and these dogs are just not bred for an urban or even suburban environment.

Our pound has a detailed report that describes their behavior on pick up and during their stay at the pound and some of the dogs being offered up aren't good in playgroup or walks and are on serious tranquilizers to curb aggression.

by Anonymousreply 111June 11, 2021 2:24 PM

R103 OMG that’s scary! What did you think when you saw it bite the other dog? Was the other dog screaming?😳

by Anonymousreply 112June 11, 2021 2:41 PM

[quote]their processes resemble proctology exams

Pics please.

by Anonymousreply 113June 11, 2021 2:42 PM

r103 I'll let pit bull fans convince me their dogs aren't more likely to bite. But when they do, it's dangerous.

Most dogs get dementia. You can handle a demented cocker spaniel who has poor vision and takes a bite out of someone's hand or snaps at another dog....

Same reason i always suggest people at least CONSIDER a smaller animal. Less dog hair. Less slobber. Easier to handle them in their elderly years when they start peeing and pooping inside or cant handle steps anymore and need to be carried. That can go on for several years with a small dog...

by Anonymousreply 114June 12, 2021 6:13 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!