Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Leelee Sobieski, post-acting career

Is she okay? She looks like she just escaped a cult.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 50February 22, 2020 6:23 PM

I didn’t know she had a career. I saw her once – – in Eyes Wide Shut..

by Anonymousreply 1February 20, 2020 6:43 AM

“They” say she works as a “high-end” dominatrix to the stars.

by Anonymousreply 2February 20, 2020 6:45 AM

R1 she was in a number of popular late '90s and early 2000s teen films—Never Been Kissed, The Glass House, Joy Ride. She announced she was retiring from acting a few years back, and is apparently a painter now.

by Anonymousreply 3February 20, 2020 6:52 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 4February 20, 2020 6:53 AM

People always thought she was a mini-Helen Hunt.

Hopefully she won't age like Hunt did...

by Anonymousreply 5February 20, 2020 6:58 AM

R5 she looks a hell of a lot more like Helen Hunt today than she did back then. When she was a teenager/young adult, she had a cherubic face and was rather pretty IMO. Kind of reminded me of Fiona Apple. Today, she looks frighteningly thin.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 6February 20, 2020 7:02 AM

Helen Hunt yes. Twin.

by Anonymousreply 7February 20, 2020 7:35 AM

I am not that old (40), but I have no clue who she is! And I like movies. Somehow I missed her seemingly small window of fame. That always is weird to me. Maybe she made enough money?

by Anonymousreply 8February 20, 2020 7:36 AM

Your comment about a small window of fame reminds me of Mary Badham. I think that was her name I’m too lazy to look it up right now. The young actress from To Kill a Mockingbird. She was exceptional! But was never heard from again.

by Anonymousreply 9February 20, 2020 7:53 AM

I used to say I could not distinguish among her, Kirsten Dunst, and Julia Stiles (I'm blonde blind). At least she no longer looks like their triplet.

by Anonymousreply 10February 20, 2020 8:04 AM

Her dad

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 20, 2020 8:38 AM

Leelee Sobieski --younger than Helen Hunt and twice as exciting!

Because two times zero is still zero.

by Anonymousreply 12February 20, 2020 8:46 AM

She claims she was deflowered by her husband when she was 26. If that was really the case I gotta give it to her: staying away from the D for so long in a crazy oversexed place like Hollywood must take nerves of steel (and a steel mace too, to fight off all the sickos preying on teenage actresses).

by Anonymousreply 13February 20, 2020 8:48 AM

The OP pic looks like she's already in character for a season of "American Horror Story." If she is cast by Ryan Murphy, she can't suck any more than the guy from "American Beauty."

by Anonymousreply 14February 20, 2020 9:00 AM

Typical look for overly thin women as they age - her face looks very gaunt and prematurely old.

I barely remember her - she was the product of nepotism, of course. She was in a medieval-themed movie and was awful in it. Won a razzie I believe.

She married the son of a rich man and was able to become an "artist".

by Anonymousreply 15February 20, 2020 1:49 PM

She looks like a horse-faced lesbian, but I'd still do her.

by Anonymousreply 16February 20, 2020 2:02 PM

One day.

One.

More than another.

The other,

that day,

those people,

too many,

too personal,

but not.

People you know know,

but you yourself know not.

Crashing down,

all frown,

hurting,

walking,

silently screaming,

slowly running,

often feeling nothing.

Seeing the lucky ones fleeing,

seeing those trapped inside.

Cry.

Cry.

It's OK.

It's not OK.

Smile if it's natural

Feel alive.

The president speaks,

The situation reeks an act of war.

I enter my room, close the door

Sit here.

Here where buildings do not fall to the floor.

we young will experience much more future, liberty, the freedom to mope about in poetry.

My brother I love you.

Old friends and family too.

Safe for now glad to know I'm alive with all of you.

Feel what is real feel later heal.

One.

One person feeling the same as all the rest.

Please let us act and do what is best.

by Anonymousreply 17February 20, 2020 2:07 PM

Would've loved to have seen the now lost 3 hour director's cut of Glass House.

by Anonymousreply 18February 20, 2020 2:20 PM

R18 me too 😄

by Anonymousreply 19February 21, 2020 12:07 AM

Glass House was awful. I can't imagine another hour would make it any better.

That's the problem with Leelee - she was not an exceptional actress and didn't star in any truly memorable films except Eyes Wide Shut. Never Been Kissed and Joy Ride were good but not because of her.

by Anonymousreply 20February 21, 2020 1:43 AM

I liked her. I thought her acting career would have had more longevity, but it seems she is happy to have moved on, so...

by Anonymousreply 21February 21, 2020 1:48 AM

R20 She was amazing in "My First Mister" with Albert Brooks and Carol Kane.

by Anonymousreply 22February 21, 2020 4:40 AM

Her hairline is really something else.

by Anonymousreply 23February 21, 2020 4:42 AM

She’s a fucking profound poet.

by Anonymousreply 24February 21, 2020 6:10 AM

I actually like The Glass House, R20. It's not high art, but it's one of those shamelessly predictable early 2000s thrillers that I have a particular nostalgia for.

by Anonymousreply 25February 21, 2020 6:15 AM

R20 that's why I want to see it. The 3 hour cut is probably even worse than we imagined.

by Anonymousreply 26February 21, 2020 7:11 AM

In 1999, she was nominated for an Emmy and Golden Globe for the TV Miniseries, "Joan of Arc."

She's an artist now. She began her art career using her married name Leelee Kimmel. She paints and sculpts abstract work, and works in VR, using Google Tilt Brush. She uses bright colors, abstracted and textured shapes floating on either a large black or white background.

In 2016, Sobieski confirmed "I don't do movie stuff anymore." Commenting on the reasons for her early retirement to Us Weekly, Sobieski said, "I am just focused on my kids. I think that's mainly why I stopped ... Also, ninety percent of acting roles involve so much sexual stuff with other people, and I don't want to do that."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 27February 21, 2020 7:34 AM

Does anyone else remember Here On Earth??

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 21, 2020 7:36 AM

Is she still friends with Arden Wohl?

by Anonymousreply 29February 21, 2020 8:12 AM

[quote] I am not that old (40),

You're deluding yourself.

At that age, you're already in heaven's waiting room.

by Anonymousreply 30February 21, 2020 8:47 AM

I’ve always had positive feelings towards her, don’t know why. Like for a close relative.. like a cherished niece or cousin.

by Anonymousreply 31February 21, 2020 9:11 AM

She was ugly then and she’s old and ugly now

by Anonymousreply 32February 21, 2020 9:45 AM

I have no idea how she managed to get two Golden Globe nominations, because her acting ranged from average to slightly below average. I think the only reason she was nominated for Joan of Arc was because her performance in that one still looked amazing compared to Milla Jovovich's take on that role that same year. She was nominated for Uprising too and she didn't do anything special in that one either. I think back then different award committees often nominated pretty young actresses they found inoffensive and fuckable for awards, even if their acting was subpar (let's not forget Mena Suvari got a BAFTA nomination for American Beauty around that same time).

But there was still something about Leelee's face that made her very watchable onscreen. The Glass House is a camp classic, and that's largely thanks to her unique face and amazingly wooden performance. Mark my words: in 50 years the lost 3-hour cut of that film will be as highly sought after as the lost extended versions of Greed and The Magnificent Ambersons are.

by Anonymousreply 33February 21, 2020 10:22 AM

One.

One person feeling the same as all the rest.

Please let us act and do what is best.

by Anonymousreply 34February 21, 2020 1:31 PM

In the late nineties I would have sworn she would have a long career. I liked her in everything I saw her in. It helps that I saw her in A Soldier's Daughter Never Cries, a minor film but she speaks French in it and her French is impeccable - she's bilingual.

by Anonymousreply 35February 22, 2020 9:40 AM

What with the dog chock collar at OP, she must really be into SM

by Anonymousreply 36February 22, 2020 10:32 AM

She was married to Matthew Davis for a year - but claimed to be a virgin when she got together with Adam Kimmel.

What a weirdo.

by Anonymousreply 37February 22, 2020 10:37 AM

I thought most actors got a boost from Scientology?

by Anonymousreply 38February 22, 2020 11:24 AM

The j.law of the early 2000s.

by Anonymousreply 39February 22, 2020 11:44 AM

R37 I always assumed she was talking about her first husband when she made that virginity claim. But I see now that she got married to Davis in 2008, when she was 25 (and she claims to have lost her virginity at 26). Of course it's possible that she never had sex with Davis and was only his beard or something but that's highly unlikely. Oh well, I knew that story sounded too good to be true. She was probably a big ole' whore like the rest of Hollywood trash.

That reminds of Britney's famous claim that she won't have sex until she's married. Later her mom revealed that she really lost her virginity at 14.

by Anonymousreply 40February 22, 2020 11:48 AM

Wellwell. According to rumor she’s either a dominatrix whore or a virginal sex-negative prude. No happy medium for her!

by Anonymousreply 41February 22, 2020 12:04 PM

OP category is...Sinead O’Connor Ex Machina AI Robot Realness!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 42February 22, 2020 12:17 PM

Dominatrix to the Stars!

by Anonymousreply 43February 22, 2020 12:24 PM

God. Her stick-of-wood acting makes her perfect for a Wes Anderson film. I'm surprised her character in Deep Impact didn't just ride the tidal wave out at the beach, she would have just simply washed ashore afterward.

by Anonymousreply 44February 22, 2020 12:29 PM

I waited on her a bunch of times way back when. She was really funny and nice.

by Anonymousreply 45February 22, 2020 12:38 PM

@ 1:15 - that's not a smile, it's a rictus.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 46February 22, 2020 12:46 PM

R45 So, what kind of vibes did you get from her: virginal or sex dominatrix ones?

by Anonymousreply 47February 22, 2020 2:42 PM

She was in a movie with Chris Klein.

I didn't really understand her appeal. Looks like a skinny Polish peasant woman with the personality of a cloud.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 48February 22, 2020 3:03 PM

^It made zero sense why those two hot guys would be fighting over her.

by Anonymousreply 49February 22, 2020 3:05 PM

R44 She'd be awesome in an Aki Kaurismaki film too. People act like zombies in those too.

by Anonymousreply 50February 22, 2020 6:23 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!