Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Students protest after teachers reportedly fired for being gay

Over the weekend, a different story began to emerge. King County council member Dave Upthegrove posted a Facebook posting alleging both teachers were “forced” to resign because of their sexuality.

He said, “Kennedy High School in Burien today fired (forced the resignation of) two of their teachers solely because they are gay/lesbian. This is a reminder of the blatant discrimination that continues to exist in our community against members of the LGBT community.”

He went on to post that someone raised a rainbow flag at the school following news of the teachers’ departure broke – but it was swiftly taken down.

Fellow council member Joe McDermott posted to Facebook, “I’m angry that Kennedy Catholic High School has forced the resignations of two respected teachers because they are gay. This action is hurtful to the two former teachers, the Kennedy Catholic community, and most especially to lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer students at Kennedy Catholic.”

Then, Paul Danforth’s fiancé, Sean Nyberg, took to social media to blast the school over its actions.

Nyberg tweeted Sunday, “DEVESTATED! On Nov 1st I proposed to my partner in @Disneyland … three months later he was forced to resign his job as an English Teacher at Kennedy Catholic High in Seattle, because of the same sex engagement. It’s heartbreaking.”

------------

This is awful, but every time this happens it seems like it's a Catholic school. It shouldn't happen, but why do people put themselves in this position? Find a school that's not a religious cult before you take the job.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 20, 2020 9:41 PM

Not for nothing, I resigned from Catholicism in 4th grade.

by Anonymousreply 1February 19, 2020 5:20 PM

Finally. An engagement photo where the one being proposed to doesn't have his hands over his face.

by Anonymousreply 2February 19, 2020 5:25 PM

Exactly, OP. What the hell did he expect?

Zero sympathy.

by Anonymousreply 3February 19, 2020 5:28 PM

Catholics are intolerant.

Big surprise. Almost all religions are. That's why they exist, to make rather ignorant people feel they are better than others, because they have a better religion.

by Anonymousreply 4February 19, 2020 5:32 PM

Religion is for idiots. Proven once again.

by Anonymousreply 5February 19, 2020 5:34 PM

This is why I laugh every time I read "open-minded Catholic" on the DL.

by Anonymousreply 6February 19, 2020 5:35 PM

No comment yet on the size of the fiancé? The Mohawk?? The Disney proposal??? Y’all slippin.

by Anonymousreply 7February 19, 2020 5:40 PM

I went to a Catholic school in the late 90s. Of course this was “quiet”, no one was wearing leather pants or waving rainbow flags. Everyone knew, they didn’t discuss it. Two students were suspended for yelling “faggot”.

We had a gay science teacher whose partner was a construction magnate and basically ran paid for the yearly charitable fair. There was also a very nelly gay Muslim maths teacher who would being baklava for the last classes of term.

Of course half the female art teachers and PE teachers were butch dykes.

by Anonymousreply 8February 19, 2020 5:44 PM

Outrageous!!! If it wasn't for Catholic School, I NEVER would've lost my virginity!!! And I'm NOT even CATHOLIC!!!! I thought the "Confessional" was a PHONE BOOTH!!! Imagine my surprise when I walked out of there with a fist full of quarters and all my sins forgiven!!! That was the best 12th birthday EVER!!!

by Anonymousreply 9February 19, 2020 5:46 PM

R7 his twitter bio: All things DISNEY. Living in Bellevue. loves the gym, weather, sobriety, & politics. BA from Univ of Washington - JD from Gonzaga Law

by Anonymousreply 10February 19, 2020 5:46 PM

R8, was this in the UK or done other Commonwealth nation?

by Anonymousreply 11February 19, 2020 5:54 PM

No sympathy for the idiot that decided a catholic school would be a great place for an openly gay man to work.

Is he the fatass with the mowhawk or the gawking fairy in OP's picture?

by Anonymousreply 12February 19, 2020 6:33 PM

Sounds like they both have issues with reality if one is obsessed with all things Disney and the other worked for an anti-gay institution.

At least this teaches the kids how screwed up their religion and school is. I'll give them that.

by Anonymousreply 13February 19, 2020 6:41 PM

Spam them senseless.

Email in the link.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 19, 2020 6:50 PM

I don't know. On the one hand I feel that these religious types would never get away with racial discrimination, so why let them get away with discriminating against gays? On the other hand, I feel like it should be possible for both sides to "live and let live", and that we shouldn't infringe on their territory.

As I'm typing this out I think I lean more towards the first option though. Wrong is wrong, and their hate doesn't only affect the adults in that school.

by Anonymousreply 15February 19, 2020 6:51 PM

The students and parents who are protesting need to demand to know the names of the hetero teachers living together unmarried or those who are divorced or having an affair.

by Anonymousreply 16February 19, 2020 6:58 PM

No problem with a priest fucking a choir boy, but gay teachers should be fired! Way to go Catholics!

by Anonymousreply 17February 19, 2020 7:01 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 20, 2020 3:34 PM

Good for them!

by Anonymousreply 19February 20, 2020 4:57 PM

Shame on them for having a job. And they better not try and sue or do anything about this, they deserved what they got and should've known better.

by Anonymousreply 20February 20, 2020 5:21 PM

HOW DARE THEY "GAYIFY" THE DISNEY IMAGE!!! THEY'RE HERETICS AND SHOULD DIE IN A PIT OF POTPOURRI !!!

by Anonymousreply 21February 20, 2020 5:46 PM

R21, it’s a pot of potpourri.

by Anonymousreply 22February 20, 2020 5:47 PM

I know, bitch. That's why I said PIT.

by Anonymousreply 23February 20, 2020 6:26 PM

Why are there 2 gay teachers working at a Catholic school?

by Anonymousreply 24February 20, 2020 6:27 PM

R20 There's a difference between being fired from any job for being gay and being fired from your job teaching at a school governed by a homophobic religion. What they did is the equivalent of a gay man being upset about getting fired from his job as a secretary for One Million Moms or the WBC. That's why we have no sympathy. When you decide to stand in the middle of a busy road you can't complain when you're hit by a car.

by Anonymousreply 25February 20, 2020 6:30 PM

R20 they didn't deserve it, but going to work at a homophobic institution...not the best idea.

by Anonymousreply 26February 20, 2020 7:43 PM

[quote] but going to work at a homophobic institution...not the best idea.

Yet there are so many gay priests.

by Anonymousreply 27February 20, 2020 8:50 PM

That's because their homophobic families sent them to the clergy to get "fixed".

by Anonymousreply 28February 20, 2020 9:41 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!