Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Tell Me About Ventura CA

If we spend a week there next summer, is there enough to do within an hour of the hotel? Is LA close enough or will the traffic be unbearable?

by Anonymousreply 17February 20, 2020 4:17 AM

I like Ventura and Oxnard a lot — much less commercialized that L.A./South Bay beaches.

Don't know if there's a week's worth of activities unless you spend a lot of time at the beach, but Santa Barbara is a short drive away. L.A. isn't far but the traffic can be horrendous.

by Anonymousreply 1February 18, 2020 11:44 PM

It depends on what you want to do. Ventura doesn't have the cultural attractions of LA, which is 70 miles south on Highway 101, but there are things to do. If you like shopping in thrift stores, you'll love Ventura. There are LOTS of thrift stores, and many are located on the same part of Main Street, near the historic Mission. If you're not after five-star eateries, the restaurants in Ventura are quite nice and offer a wide variety of all kinds of ethnic foods. The city is fairly flat and you can rent a bicycle and enjoy the beach area bikeways.

Assuming you'll have access to a car, there are many day side-trips you can take. Santa Barbara is 30 miles north, and the drive on 101 right next to the ocean is amazingly beautiful. The Danish community of Solvang is 35 miles north of Santa Barbara, and there are lots of wineries that are open to the public in the Santa Ynez Valley. Ojai is 14 miles east of Ventura, and it has nice little art galleries and is more posh than Ventura. Oxnard is right next door to Ventura. I guess someone has to live there. And you can also make LA and its myriad attractions a day trip.

I live in Santa Barbara, but many of us here go to Ventura to buy furniture, appliances, etc., because they're either wildly overpriced at home or no one locally carries them.

Ventura is pretty laid back and the locals are friendly. If you're looking for a low-key vacation spot that's not wildly exciting and is easy on the budget, you really couldn't do better.

by Anonymousreply 2February 19, 2020 12:00 AM

ADDENDUM TO R2: Be advised that if you go from May through mid-July, you'll encounter the famous "June gloom," which enshrouds pretty much most of coastal Southern California. The high fog isn't cold, but when you wake up in the morning it's overcast, and by time the sun comes out at 4 in the afternoon (if it ever does), it's too late to do anything. The trade-off is that this comes at the time of year when most of the US is sweltering. This is the time of year when many San Joaquin Valley residents flock to holiday in SoCal. The rest of the summer, Ventura has average daytime temperatures in the 70s and low 80s, and it always cools down at night.

by Anonymousreply 3February 19, 2020 12:09 AM

It’s boring. Except for the beaches. I would never choose to vacation there - but if you have to, the best thing about it is the ability to go to Santa Barbara and Montecito for the day, or Ojai or Malibu. Don’t even think there is a gay bar there. One of the more boring and blah coastal towns - except for Oxnard.

by Anonymousreply 4February 19, 2020 12:17 AM

It is a good place to vacation if you plan on taking day trips. It's cheaper and quieter than LA, not very luxurious but if you're trying to save a buck it's fine.

by Anonymousreply 5February 19, 2020 12:30 AM

Huge outlet mall in nearby Camarillo. And you're just over the hill from Thousand Oaks, which leads you into the western end of the Valley. (Woodland Hills, etc.)

One warning - there can be a lot of tar and oily deposits on the beach.

by Anonymousreply 6February 20, 2020 3:29 AM

Laid back low key, but centrally located for day trips and marine activities. The Channel Islands are accessible and sea/bay kayaking was great fun.

by Anonymousreply 7February 20, 2020 3:35 AM

I prefer it much more than Orange County.

by Anonymousreply 8February 20, 2020 3:37 AM

It’s nice enough. Pretty working class, great weather. Convenient to Santa Barbara and Malibu.

by Anonymousreply 9February 20, 2020 3:42 AM

In Ventura all seems to breathe freedom and peace, and to make one forget the world and its sad turmoils.

by Anonymousreply 10February 20, 2020 3:43 AM

One of favorite places is there:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 11February 20, 2020 3:43 AM

R10 - y'know you are wearing your welcome out with this same phrase on every location thread, right?

Seriously - think of something else, cuz it is well beyond its sell date.

by Anonymousreply 12February 20, 2020 3:52 AM

R12, we are not amused.

by Anonymousreply 13February 20, 2020 3:53 AM

There is nothing there. Possibly the least attractive place on the coast - and a hike from LA proper.

by Anonymousreply 14February 20, 2020 3:58 AM

Ventura (except for Port Hueneme) is gloomy, old and dirty. Homeless galore. You won’t be able to pass a week there without going out of your mind or going to other towns. Do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere. Santa Barbara is much nicer. Split it with Ojai,and Santa Ynez for a nice trip.

by Anonymousreply 15February 20, 2020 4:09 AM

I found Ojai to be one of the most disappointing visits only out done by San Antonio.

by Anonymousreply 16February 20, 2020 4:15 AM

Ojai is boring. It nicer than Ventura. San Antonio actually surprised me with the Riverwalk and old downtown.

by Anonymousreply 17February 20, 2020 4:17 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!