Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

NYC, LA, or Chicago

I love all three.

I live in LA. Lived in NYC for years. And love visiting friends in Chicago. Which big city do you like?

by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2020 3:54 PM

They’re all great. I’m originally from Chicago, and although it’s great, is still provincial and more on par with a city like Toronto or Philadelphia, than it is with New York or LA.

I prefer LA over New York because it’s less hectic with much lesser density.

by Anonymousreply 1February 18, 2020 2:53 PM

I lived in Manhattan for 15 years before moving to LA. Every now and then I get that romantic “New York” nostalgia, but for the most part I prefer LA now. Life is just easier. And LA has its own romance. Besides, I can no longer afford Manhattan and I am from the era where I refuse to go to Brooklyn.

by Anonymousreply 2February 18, 2020 2:56 PM

Chicago - love it New York- love it but v expensive LA - hate every single thing about it

by Anonymousreply 3February 18, 2020 2:56 PM

I’m over living in big cities. Live in NYC. Used to live in LA.

by Anonymousreply 4February 18, 2020 3:10 PM

I don't like any of them. Dislike NY for the sameness of it and the arrogance of the mythology.

Dislike LA for the infernal traffic - what a way to waste your life - and I find the parts of it you can see fairly dingy and the rest of it walled off.

Chicago is the best of the three, but the fucking winters! Climate change, however, may make it perfection in another decade.

by Anonymousreply 5February 18, 2020 3:11 PM

Of the three, I'd take Chicago.

by Anonymousreply 6February 18, 2020 3:32 PM

I love NY, Chicago is fun to visit, likewise LA, but I hate driving in big city traffic, so when I wanted to downscale from NY, I moved to a small city of about 400,000 in flyover country where I lived when I was very young.

Life is a blast because it's so easy, I live in a neighborhood where I can walk to everything I need, like in NY, but if I want to drive, I can get anywhere quickly and easily, and I rarely need to drive when traffic is at its worst.

We have good theater, opera, sports teams, a great live music scene, wonderful restaurants, lovely neighborhoods, and everything is at ridiculously low prices compared to NY.

We also have good weather most of the year, too hot for me in the summer, but also enough winter to satisfy my appreciation of snow and cold. Relatively low crime, but still more than I would like.

What we don't have is good public transportation, although that doesn't affect me much, because I have a car, even though I don't love driving.

I'm not going to say where, because DL will say it's a dump, etc., even though few of you have ever been here.

by Anonymousreply 7February 18, 2020 3:34 PM

I love NY, Chicago is fun to visit, likewise LA, but I hate driving in big city traffic, so when I wanted to downscale from NY, I moved to a small city of about 400,000 in flyover country where I lived when I was very young.

Life is a blast because it's so easy, I live in a neighborhood where I can walk to everything I need, like in NY, but if I want to drive, I can get anywhere quickly and easily, and I rarely need to drive when traffic is at its worst.

We have good theater, opera, sports teams, a great live music scene, wonderful restaurants, lovely neighborhoods, and everything is at ridiculously low prices compared to NY.

We also have good weather most of the year, too hot for me in the summer, but also enough winter to satisfy my appreciation of snow and cold. Relatively low crime, but still more than I would like.

What we don't have is good public transportation, although that doesn't affect me much, because I have a car, even though I don't love driving.

I'm not going to say where, because DL will say it's a dump, etc., even though few of you have ever been here.

by Anonymousreply 8February 18, 2020 3:34 PM

New York for the energy, Chicago for the solid people, LA for work and sporty life (I surf).

by Anonymousreply 9February 18, 2020 3:35 PM

As far as city life is concerned Chicago is by far the best. It is one of the cleanest big cities on earth and living in the middle of the city is much easier than living in the middle of Manhattan or L.A.. But when you get to the outer areas I much prefer L.A.. I love the desert and the mountains. Chicago, outside of the city is a boring expanse of flatness. At least outside NYC you have the mountains, but for my money it's just not like the mountains on the west coast. Evening time in the desert is magical.

by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2020 3:41 PM

R8 we heard you the first time. It sounds like a dump.

by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2020 3:54 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!