Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Best TV soaps/shows to watch with a soap-aholic mother

Fellow DLers, I desperately need your infinite TV knowledge and sage recommendations. I’m visiting my 60-y.o. mom and trying to keep her entertained, and watch some TV shows together, during her recovery from surgery. She LOVES [bold]cheesy, ‘easy-watching’, good-vibe TV shows and romantic daytime soaps[/bold]. Problem is apparently she’s already seen many of the classic ones and I’m running out of fun ideas for her.

I’m a Millennial and usually watch depressing shows like Mad Men and gory ones like GoT - and don’t know what to find for her. Maybe any of you know of some hidden gems or something I’ve overlooked? Could be even one-season ones or good ol’ forgotten ones.

My mother doesn’t really like shows with too much gore, realistic drama, guns, slapstick comedies - she prefers watching very calm, slow-paced shows with beautiful people and elevator music :). Something with an overall soothing vibe, but not to the extreme of Hallmark Xtian eye-rollers. I tried getting her to watch DL-fave sitcoms like Golden Girls, but she said she doesn’t like sitcoms or watching old gals, but prefers ‘nice, escapist’ romantic shows about ‘beautiful, well-dressed people in their late 20s to 40s’.

The types of cheesy shows she’s already seen and loved, in order of preference:

(1) Fun old classics like Dynasty, Dallas, Moonlighting;

(2) Super-cheesy 90s and new daytime soaps where they mix romance and silly magic, like Passions (she was obsessed with its early seasons and loved all the camp ‘evil’ characters), 10th Kingdom, The Good Witch, Smallville.

(3) Post-2000 new shows about beautiful rich kids and their 1st-world problems: Gilmore Girls, 90210, One Tree Hill. She’s seen Beverly Hills, Melrose Place, the OC and thought they were ok but not the best for her taste. She didn’t like most of the leads in Desperate Housewives.

(4) Light-hearted, fun romantic legal comedies like Ally McBeal really pleased her. She also liked some legal dramas (The Good Wife, Billions, Suits), but I’m afraid legal dramas (or hospital soaps) might over-agitate or upset her during her recovery.

(5) The only ‘scary’ shows she liked were shows like Twin Peaks (the original one, not the creepier new one). She liked the original’s strangely soothing Badalamenti soundtrack, relaxed vibe and beautiful cast. She also liked Supernatural and The Vampire Diaries (the first seasons of both shows) - because of the beautiful actors and cheesy plot-lines (which made the gore not so scary), but it quickly got too repetetive and overly gory for her. She liked Lucifer (again, because of the good-looking leads) - but it’s more fun than scary.

She’s retro-watching Santa Barbara right now, but she says it seems too boring and most of the cast isn’t that beautiful.

Anyway, any recommendations?

Strangely, my mother hasn’t watched the big long-running ones: Days of Our Lives or All My Children. But those are such looong shows - which season is best?

If worst comes to worst and we can’t find any other or new shows/soaps to watch, I’m thinking maybe we can re-watch some seasons of Dallas or Dynasty together. But, again, which seasons of those shows are best?

For visual reference, this is the type of show that appeals to her:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 18, 2020 9:44 PM

Mistresses? Dirty Sexy Money? Charmed? Big Little Lies?

by Anonymousreply 1February 18, 2020 11:45 AM

The Crown

by Anonymousreply 2February 18, 2020 11:50 AM

Long-running daytime soaps don't really have seasons that you can choose, I would stay away from them. Have You Ever Seen Better Call Saul? You don't need to have watched Breaking Bad to be able to enjoy it. I don't know if she would be interested in Nurse Jackie, but found it well written and worth our time to watch.

by Anonymousreply 3February 18, 2020 11:56 AM

Watch the Young and the Restless together. Start today. They're having a 50th anniversary blowout for Victor Newman this week.

by Anonymousreply 4February 18, 2020 12:12 PM

Sex and the City? I watched it for the first time three years ago while I was going through a difficult period and found it great escapism.

by Anonymousreply 5February 18, 2020 9:44 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!