Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Obamacare vs. Cobra

How do they compare on cost, coverage, etc.?

I realize Ocare varies by state, but let's say in the typical blue state.

by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2020 9:24 PM

They are entirely different and serve different purposes. Cobra is an existing private plan you can pay in full yourself from previous employment. It will depend on the previous plan and is not subsidized.

by Anonymousreply 1February 17, 2020 10:27 PM

while Obama are has a yearly enrollment period, usually Oct/Nov

by Anonymousreply 2February 17, 2020 10:30 PM

I thought you could enroll in Obamacare during the year if something causes you to lose insurance, such as losing your job?

by Anonymousreply 3February 17, 2020 10:34 PM

That is true R3. You can pick up an exchange plan at any time of the year if you have a "qualifying" event. It is usually losing coverage, having a child, marriage, or divorce. Moving sometimes works (depends on if your current plan offers coverage in your new location).

If you, in any way, shape or form, qualify for subsides, ACA (Obamacare) plans are the better (and cheaper) bet. The only time I'd take COBRA is if you are biding time until your new job's insurance kicks in (or until Medicare kicks in). Otherwise, it is just too expensive.

Of course, if you have expensive health issues, and you know that you have something down the pipe (6-9 months) it may be worth it just to not deal with the drama, but it really depends.

by Anonymousreply 4February 17, 2020 10:40 PM

Obamacare is for communists whereas Cobra is for patriots.

by Anonymousreply 5February 17, 2020 10:44 PM

Had both in past 2 years. Obamacare was a little cheaper ($870 vs $975). But in NY, Ocare requires referrals for everything. Which is a pain in the ass. I miss my COBRA. I wish there was an Ocare plan that didn’t require referrals,

by Anonymousreply 6February 17, 2020 11:11 PM

[quote]But in NY, Ocare requires referrals for everything.

There's only one plan in NY? Aren't they required to have different types of plans (Bronze, Silver, Gold) at different levels of coverage?

by Anonymousreply 7February 18, 2020 3:21 AM

Yes NY has lot so different plans but ALL of them require referrals. Pisses me off - you literally can not buy one without referrals unless you get it through an employer.

by Anonymousreply 8February 18, 2020 6:29 PM

Why are you even comparing these, OP? They’re not remotely the same thing.

by Anonymousreply 9February 18, 2020 6:44 PM

Because, r9, I want to retire by no later than age 60, and get obamacare. At age 63 1/2 I may decide to do cobra for 18 months until medicare kicks in.

by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2020 9:24 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!