Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Stupid scenes in movies.

I'm watching Twister and cracking up. There was no reason for the dad to hold onto the door and get sucked away into the tornado. The mom, dog and little girl were fine standing in the back of the cellar.

What scenes can you think of?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 176February 28, 2020 4:05 AM

As I said back then "He should have held onto his wife. She wasn't going anywhere."

I got shushed.

by Anonymousreply 1February 17, 2020 9:41 PM

She was fat.

by Anonymousreply 2February 17, 2020 9:45 PM

OP likes laughing at people being killed.

by Anonymousreply 3February 17, 2020 9:48 PM

The first time I saw it I was a kid and it was very sad.

Now that I have studied film it's hilarious that they wanted to pass this off. It aged into an SNL sketch. Yes, I am laughing. It's a cinema sin.

by Anonymousreply 4February 17, 2020 9:52 PM

Every scene in the Goonies.

by Anonymousreply 5February 17, 2020 9:54 PM

Personally, I didn't think it was funny. I thought it was dumb and manipulative. It was a pointless and illogical death used for dramatic effect and to create sympathy for Helen Hunt's character.

by Anonymousreply 6February 17, 2020 9:54 PM

I got shushed in the theater for laughing at this.

by Anonymousreply 7February 17, 2020 9:54 PM

I also laughed at the scene in Airforce One where Harrison Ford growls "Get off my plane!"

by Anonymousreply 8February 17, 2020 9:56 PM

The scene in The prodigy (with Taylor Schilling ) where the bad seed kid threatens to accuse the therapist of abusing him. The entire theater was cracking up.

by Anonymousreply 9February 17, 2020 9:57 PM

R8 Me too!

by Anonymousreply 10February 17, 2020 10:00 PM

Independence Day Resurgence

The entire movie.

by Anonymousreply 11February 17, 2020 10:00 PM

The scene where Big proposes to Carrie with a fucking shoe.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 17, 2020 10:02 PM

Independence Day (the original) where they take down the alien ships with a computer virus.

by Anonymousreply 13February 17, 2020 10:41 PM

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 14February 17, 2020 11:02 PM

R13, that wouldn't have been so dumb if they hadn't deleted the scene where they explained it so it made sense.

by Anonymousreply 15February 17, 2020 11:14 PM

r15 it's still a pretty big stretch even with the 7 minute deleted scene. No amount of mumbling by Jeff Goldblum can cross that chasm.

by Anonymousreply 16February 17, 2020 11:25 PM

I will be struck by lightning for this, but there’s a scene in “The Ice Storm” where Elijah Wood’s character drops dead from electrocution. It’s supposed to be tragic, but he’s wearing a puffy orange hooded jacket and I swear the first thought that went through my head was “They killed Kenny!”

In my defense, South Park was very big at the time.

by Anonymousreply 17February 18, 2020 12:30 AM

Animal crackers

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 18, 2020 12:44 AM

Too many to mention in Deep Impact.

by Anonymousreply 19February 18, 2020 3:41 AM

Or Armageddon, as much as I love/hate it.

by Anonymousreply 20February 18, 2020 4:55 AM

What a fucking waste.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 21February 18, 2020 5:46 AM

Every frame of "Jaws IV."

by Anonymousreply 22February 18, 2020 7:24 AM

OP, I admit I laughed at that scene in Twister, too. I was having a conversation with my friend about it and he said I was cold and insensitive when I mentioned it was ridiculous. Actually so many scenes in Twister are stupid. I enjoy it but it's so badly written.

by Anonymousreply 23February 18, 2020 7:35 AM

R22 the scenery was nice.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 24February 18, 2020 11:10 AM

The only scene in Twister I remember is one during a tornado and the storm chasers are in a room yelling while shit flies around their heads. Every schoolkid in Oklahoma learns what to do in a tornado starting at age 5: you kneel next to the wall and protect your head under your arms. These adults must have skipped school.

by Anonymousreply 25February 18, 2020 11:25 AM

Independence Day — long, long traffic jam out of cities. Our heroes though, in their rust bucket old car, pull out of the traffic jam & started driving along next to the long line of traffic.

Gee, why didn’t anyone else think of doing that? Like, in an SUV or something?

by Anonymousreply 26February 18, 2020 3:53 PM

2012 had a shit ton of stupid scenes.

by Anonymousreply 27February 18, 2020 3:55 PM

The original Halloween where Jamie Lee drops the knife right next to Michael Myers after she stabs him.

by Anonymousreply 28February 18, 2020 3:56 PM

[quote]Independence Day — long, long traffic jam out of cities. Our heroes though, in their rust bucket old car, pull out of the traffic jam & started driving along next to the long line of traffic.

Yeah it was so unrealistic especially with the giant city large SPACE SHIP above their heads.

by Anonymousreply 29February 18, 2020 4:04 PM

R27, The most offensive element was how the escaping family wasn't going insane from shock.

by Anonymousreply 30February 18, 2020 4:12 PM

R28, that happens in a lot of horror movies. I call it the "Hit him again!" scene, mainly cause I'm yelling that when they hit the bad guy once, drop the weapon, and run away.

by Anonymousreply 31February 18, 2020 4:14 PM

Considering the films mentioned so far, I guess the Master of stupid scenes in movies is Roland Emmerich.

by Anonymousreply 32February 18, 2020 4:19 PM

All of "What About Bob". Stupid movie. Leave the vacation house, problem solved.

by Anonymousreply 33February 18, 2020 4:19 PM

R31, was it the Geico commercial where there are a bunch of kids who are running from a killer and then hide behind a wall of chainsaws and then run to the cemetery with the announcer saying that sometimes you make bad decisions?

by Anonymousreply 34February 18, 2020 4:20 PM

Titanic - the whole movie

by Anonymousreply 35February 18, 2020 4:26 PM

Halloween is a bit of a spoof of horror movies, which I think has gotten lost over the years because it's genuinely scary, but things like the look on a lady's face when she's being strangled and other dumb jokes get taken seriously when I don't think they were intended to be.

The knife drop is SO fast and SO deliberate after she stabs him that I can't help but think of the bad 1950s B-movie horror films where the plot is basically "people do dumb things for 87 minutes until the big grasshopper from Mars is finally killed." There's always some lady who tries to run away but breaks a heel and can't move another inch, or defends herself from a giant ant by lightly tapping its head with a skillet, the dropping it and screaming.

by Anonymousreply 36February 18, 2020 5:54 PM

I'd love to see a horror movie where the hero/heroine stabs the killer and keeps stabbing them until they're dead. They do all the smart things and then it turns out that, I don't know, there are two killers or something and they have to try and outwit that one, too.

by Anonymousreply 37February 18, 2020 9:10 PM

I like Halloween because it was the first horror movie I ever saw where the female actually fights against the bad guy instead of just clutching her hair and screaming her head off.

by Anonymousreply 38February 18, 2020 9:18 PM

[Quote] I call it the "Hit him again!" scene, mainly cause I'm yelling that when they hit the bad guy once, drop the weapon, and run away.

That shit drove me nuts in the Sorority Row remake.

by Anonymousreply 39February 18, 2020 9:54 PM

What I most remember is the stupidity throughout "Dante's Peak," which a friend forced me to see. There are incredibly callous scenes of showing people who have been boiled alive when the natural warm springs pool they're in becomes volcanic, and of a nice old lady being slowly and horribly killed when she wades in a lake filled with acidic water. But then they make a big deal in one scene of a family dog leaping to safety (back in those days, EVERY disaster movie had to show a dog being saved), as if you were supposed to be titillated that the grandma was dying horribly but relieved that the dog was saved. It was pretty twisted and appalling.

by Anonymousreply 40February 18, 2020 10:02 PM

"Wait--was she a great big fat person?"

I am now convinced that that line is MEANT to be stupid so as to relieve the tension, because otherwise that would be the scariest moment in the whole film, because Clarice has no back-up (everyone else .in the FBI is at the wrong house). Everyone in the theater cracked up at that line every time I saw it, but I think Demme knew he would have to resolve the tension of her arriving at Jame Gumb's house because the film was going to get EVEN SCARIER when she had to go down alone into that terrifying basement labyrinth and try to save Catherine Martin and capture Gumb.

by Anonymousreply 41February 18, 2020 10:09 PM

I was disappointed with the season one finale of “Killing Eve”

by Anonymousreply 42February 18, 2020 10:15 PM

R40 That's right. Pierce Brosnan and his gf are driving and she's hit by a rock and he starts crying but keeps driving away.

by Anonymousreply 43February 18, 2020 11:08 PM

Tag. The entire movie.

by Anonymousreply 44February 19, 2020 1:55 AM

I think Sharknado had quite a few of the Top 10.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 45February 19, 2020 2:22 AM

R45 you say stupid, I say amazing.

by Anonymousreply 46February 19, 2020 2:28 AM

I'd rather watch Sharknado than most of the movies that were nominated for Oscars this year.🦈🦈🦈

by Anonymousreply 47February 19, 2020 2:50 AM

Andy escaping in THE SHAWSHANK REDEMPTION and then every thing that follows after that. Completely asinine.

by Anonymousreply 48February 19, 2020 5:32 AM

Wait. He escaped, r48?

Ah, FFS spoiler alert, man!

by Anonymousreply 49February 19, 2020 9:01 AM

I'm not going to give any spoilers away but I'm going to nominate a coffee table scene in our current Academy Award winning Best Picture this year.

by Anonymousreply 50February 19, 2020 9:04 AM

All scenes in Parasite. Pure drek.

by Anonymousreply 51February 19, 2020 5:03 PM

Hehe. People still butt hurt over Parasite.

by Anonymousreply 52February 19, 2020 5:11 PM

The coffee table is the most memorable part of Parasite. It's why it won.

by Anonymousreply 53February 19, 2020 8:13 PM

R33 What About Bob? is supposed to be kind of stupid. Bob would of found him in the city too. Dreyfus is intent to have a family vacation and for GMA to visit.

You all need to be more original like with scenes from more serious movies, like in the Kevin Spacey epic ‘Life of David Gale’ when he tells his son “See ya in awhile, Crocodile!” like the sleaziest Pedo you ever met.

by Anonymousreply 54February 19, 2020 8:24 PM

Ralph Fiennes falling to his knees, moaning, and ripping Kristen Scott Thomas's pristine white summer dress in "The English Patient." The audience I saw it with laughed at it and I don't think it was meant to be funny.

by Anonymousreply 55February 19, 2020 8:39 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 56February 19, 2020 8:42 PM

[quote]Bob would of found him in the city too.

Oh, DEAR!

by Anonymousreply 57February 19, 2020 8:44 PM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 58February 19, 2020 8:44 PM

Like TROLL 2, the Jon Stamos / Gene Simmons "action flick" NEVER TOO YOUNG TO DIE is a cornucopia of idiotic moments that will devastate you with laughter.

This link includes the clip of Gene Simmons discarding his not-so-disguised disguise.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 19, 2020 9:03 PM

[quote]Ralph Fiennes falling to his knees, moaning, and ripping Kristen Scott Thomas's pristine white summer dress in "The English Patient." The audience I saw it with laughed at it and I don't think it was meant to be funny.

Elaine?

by Anonymousreply 60February 19, 2020 9:03 PM

My favorite is the scene @ 45:00 in this link, where some thugs rough-up Stamos during an interrogation.

They want to know the location of an information disk, but they keep slamming Stamos' face against the sink every time he could possibly answer!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 61February 19, 2020 9:08 PM

In Twister, that scene where Helen and Bill are running to seek shelter in the storm, while the stakes of a picket fence a few feet away from them are being uprooted and sent skyward. Those two wouldn't have been able to stay upright, let alone run, in a wind that strong.

by Anonymousreply 62February 19, 2020 9:21 PM

The "Release the kraken" scene in the terrible remake of Clash of the Titans.

by Anonymousreply 63February 19, 2020 9:25 PM

This is not really a stupid scene, but it caused me some confusion. In Hello Dolly, after Streisand's performance of the titular number, the Harmonia Gardens diners applaud her and she takes a bow. But it was my understanding that in musicals, the musical numbers aren't supposed to be taken as literal performances, but as merely a stylized way of moving the story forward. So did she actually perform for the diners? Dolly Levi was a matchmaker, not a singer.

by Anonymousreply 64February 19, 2020 9:28 PM

No they were applauding her just showing up. Like a celebrity entering a room to applause.

by Anonymousreply 65February 19, 2020 10:52 PM

In "Gone With The WInd" there's a scene where a crowd of people are waiting for casualty lists to see if their loved ones had died at Gettysburg. An old woman in tears approaches an old man and he realizes their son (or whoever) was killed. He's a bandleader; he stoically turns away and strikes up the band in a lively version of "Dixie." The camera zooms in on the face of a young boy in the band, playing the flute with tears rolling down his face. It was such a stupid scene; a band playing "Dixie" while people are getting word that their loved ones have been killed? And the camera honing in on the face of the devastated boy was pure schmaltz. The whole scene was created to jerk tears but it was entirely implausible and in fact did not happen in the novel. In the novel the crowd is simply given casualty lists and are grief-stricken.

by Anonymousreply 66February 19, 2020 11:23 PM

Pick any scene in True Lies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 67February 20, 2020 1:04 AM

In SELENA when Yolanda Saldivar threatens to kill herself I swore it was for high comedy.

I laughed out loud in the theatre. My friend kicked me to STFU which only made me laugh louder. Not a good idea in Los Angeles with a predominantly Mexican audience.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 68February 20, 2020 5:35 AM

"OP likes laughing at people being killed."

R3 OP is Wendy Williams.

by Anonymousreply 69February 20, 2020 6:40 AM

"In "Gone With The WInd" there's a scene where a crowd of people are waiting for casualty lists to see if their loved ones had died at Gettysburg. An old woman in tears approaches an old man and he realizes their son (or whoever) was killed. He's a bandleader; he stoically turns away and strikes up the band in a lively version of "Dixie." The camera zooms in on the face of a young boy in the band, playing the flute with tears rolling down his face. It was such a stupid scene; a band playing "Dixie" while people are getting word that their loved ones have been killed? And the camera honing in on the face of the devastated boy was pure schmaltz. The whole scene was created to jerk tears but it was entirely implausible and in fact did not happen in the novel. In the novel the crowd is simply given casualty lists and are grief-stricken."

Call it schmaltz or whatever but it's great cinema and a great translation of a flat novel moment to a practically dialogue-free sequence in the movie that gets the wrenching pain of the moment and gives it a familial narrative. Perfection.

by Anonymousreply 70February 20, 2020 6:44 AM

Every perennial scene showing a woman running away from the potential murderer. Stumble, fall, “oh my ankle!” Limp, limp, struggle.

by Anonymousreply 71February 20, 2020 6:49 AM

R71 Scream. Tatum/Rose in the garage doggie door

by Anonymousreply 72February 20, 2020 6:55 AM

Another Roland Emmerich—in The Day After Tomorrow when Dennis Quaid decides to walk from Philadelphia to Manhattan to rescue his son in the world so frigid that salt water freezes instantly..

by Anonymousreply 73February 20, 2020 7:14 AM

Spielberg’s War of the Worlds—when they finally get to the ex-wife’s house and the power works, they don’t turn on the TV to see what the fuck is happening and they only eat the food they brought with them from Tom Cruise’s house.

by Anonymousreply 74February 20, 2020 7:19 AM

R73, they started out in Washington, DC. The Russian ship floating up Fifth Avenue in front of the library was dumber. And Jake and the other students leaving that one kid's apartment to try to get back to DC was even more stupid.

by Anonymousreply 75February 20, 2020 7:26 AM

“There was no reason for the dad to hold onto the door and get sucked away into the tornado.”

Unsatisfying response probably, but the truth is that there was a reason: box office. People go to a movie called Twister specifically to see people get sucked up into the sky. That’s what they’re paying for. A flying cow going moo is a bonus.

There was a real market for people who wanted to watch people die in preposterous ways during that era. Dante’s Peak and Volcano both showed people being melted by lava in theatres at the same time. Then the Day After Tomorrow came out and people told me it was good, and it turned out to be one of the most logically offensive and accidentally comical movies I’d ever seen: people were literally running from an ice age that chased them—some froze to death the instant the climate monster caught them, and of course our heroes ran for blocks as, uh, the ice age nipped at their heels before they escaped into holes in the ground. So terrible. But the whole entire reason for the movie to exist was to show people dying in imaginative ways. That’s a tremendous share of what action movies give us, if you’ve never noticed. Most deaths are inconsequential, for our amusement. Really bizarre.

If Twister showed people safely huddled in corners as the storm passed over them, there would be no movie and viewers would be irate that no one got sucked up into the Dyson vacuum sky.

by Anonymousreply 76February 20, 2020 8:02 AM

in Jaws when everyone is called to get out of the water after the fake shark is spotted. There is a woman who cries hysterically holding her child and just stays in the water while everyone else is trying to get out. So ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 77February 20, 2020 8:55 AM

R77 That woman realized she had agreed to be the first victim just to be in a dumb horror movie and she was in a panic about being chopped up by the mechanical shark! That’s the face of someone regretting her deal with the devil.

by Anonymousreply 78February 20, 2020 8:58 AM

[quote]Another Roland Emmerich—in The Day After Tomorrow when Dennis Quaid decides to walk from Philadelphia to Manhattan to rescue his son in the world so frigid that salt water freezes instantly..

CLIMATE DENIER!

[quote]Spielberg’s War of the Worlds—when they finally get to the ex-wife’s house and the power works, they don’t turn on the TV to see what the fuck is happening and they only eat the food they brought with them from Tom Cruise’s house.

Let's see how rational you are when the aliens come...and they will come.

by Anonymousreply 79February 20, 2020 9:09 AM

[quote] Let's see how rational you are when the aliens come...and they will come.

And I, for one, shall welcome our new extraterrestrial overlords.

by Anonymousreply 80February 20, 2020 10:49 AM

All I know is I want to go to the movies with some of you guys.

by Anonymousreply 81February 20, 2020 10:55 AM

R80, maybe we can get the martians to kick out all the lizard people.

R71, just watched that scene in 'Manifest' last night. I said out loud "What is it with women and their weak ankles?"

by Anonymousreply 82February 20, 2020 3:38 PM

"Call it schmaltz or whatever but it's great cinema and a great translation of a flat novel moment to a practically dialogue-free sequence in the movie that gets the wrenching pain of the moment and gives it a familial narrative. Perfection."

Not "perfection." Movie hokum is more like it. I'm pretty sure there was never a band playing "Dixie" while people got word of who got killed in battle. That scene was just maudlin and stupid.

by Anonymousreply 83February 20, 2020 7:59 PM

The "I'm flying, Jack!" scene from Titanic. In my opinion, it was more stupid and funnier than the door scene. No, homely bitch, you were not flying. Granted you did almost fly when you "went to see the propellers".

by Anonymousreply 84February 20, 2020 8:33 PM

Here you go, via Sandy's *breakout role*.

Also, did buses really look like that in the 90s? Good god. I thought they were newer looking. Time flies.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 85February 20, 2020 8:43 PM

The scene in the Breakfast Club where Andrew gets stoned and yells so loud he shatters the glass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 86February 20, 2020 9:56 PM

r84 it's different because it was 1918, airplanes were still pretty new, and people didn't have as much experience with things so as to get jaded and bitter from them (as you seem to be). So she, a sheltered rich girl, probably was excited to see it. Much like how the crowd watching the first motion camera projector thought a train was headed right for them and fled the room.

by Anonymousreply 87February 20, 2020 10:24 PM

In "Grease" after the audience is sky high after the car race, ONJ as Sandy starts singing "Look at Me". At almost every early showing, the audience groaned when she started up.

by Anonymousreply 88February 20, 2020 10:30 PM

R76 Sure, ok. Show people dying.

Could the movie makers set it up within the laws of physics, probability and statistics? As a child I could buy it, but as an adult I'm offended.

by Anonymousreply 89February 20, 2020 10:39 PM

R86 From what I understand John Hughes recorded hours of similar scenes of them acting like that and has the footage in his own private collection. His family confirmed it at a conference.

It's creepy when you think Highest cast Molly Ringwald after seeing her face on a poster.

by Anonymousreply 90February 20, 2020 10:44 PM

The ending to Grease when Danny and Sandy flew off into the clouds.

by Anonymousreply 91February 21, 2020 12:43 AM

Pretty in Pink; that fucking ugly dress she made was stupid in every scene it featured in.

by Anonymousreply 92February 21, 2020 12:54 AM

I burst out laughing in the theater when Forrest's leg braces broke apart as he started to run. I was the only one. Apparently that shit was supposed to be inspirational and not ludicrously funny. I still hate that movie.

by Anonymousreply 93February 21, 2020 1:10 AM

R93 It's the worst.

by Anonymousreply 94February 21, 2020 1:13 AM

The scene in The Ring where the horse tosses itself overboard. More than one person guffawed in the theater.

by Anonymousreply 95February 21, 2020 1:26 AM

And now our wonderful cast.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 96February 21, 2020 1:32 AM

R95 I have seen this gif a shitload but had no idea what it was from.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 97February 21, 2020 1:39 AM

I guessing The Black Stallion.

by Anonymousreply 98February 21, 2020 1:42 AM

No. That's the motherfucking horse from the ring.

by Anonymousreply 99February 21, 2020 1:48 AM

Peeta’s camouflage in The Hunger Games!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 100February 21, 2020 1:54 AM

R100 that scene kills me every time 🤣

by Anonymousreply 101February 21, 2020 7:09 AM

Pick any scene from Forrest Gump.

by Anonymousreply 102February 21, 2020 12:02 PM

This one from Skyscraper.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 103February 21, 2020 4:54 PM

Skyscraper, The Day after tomorrow, both Independence days.

I love those PG-13 movies with the premise of the end world and people die but for some reason you never see any bloody mangled corpses anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 104February 21, 2020 8:26 PM

Skyscraper, The Day after tomorrow, both Independence days.

I love those PG-13 movies with the premise of the end world and people die but for some reason you never see any bloody mangled corpses anywhere.

by Anonymousreply 105February 21, 2020 8:26 PM

The scene in sleeping with the enemy where Julia Roberts swims away in the storm. She was a fairly inexperienced swimmer and yet somehow she could swim away in an ocean during a thunderstorm when it was pitch black out. Even many gifted swimmers would struggle under those circumstances. Couldn't she have picked an easier way to fake her death?

by Anonymousreply 106February 21, 2020 8:29 PM

The scene in sleeping with the enemy where Julia Roberts swims away in the storm. She was a fairly inexperienced swimmer and yet somehow she could swim away in an ocean during a thunderstorm when it was pitch black out. Even many gifted swimmers would struggle under those circumstances. Couldn't she have picked an easier way to fake her death?

by Anonymousreply 107February 21, 2020 8:29 PM

I read the novel "Sleeping With The Enemy." The writing is interesting but the story is preposterous. Anyway, Sarah, the Julia Roberts character, takes swimming lessons at the YWCA. In her childhood she was out swimming with her brother; I can't remember the exact circumstances but the brother drowned, which made her terrified of swimming. But she goes into the pool a little each day until she becomes an excellent swimmer. In the novel her psycho husband finds out she faked her death when a woman approaches him to offer him sympathy for his loss, telling him about Sarah's swimming lessons at the Y. Anyway, Sarah figures that the only way to escape her crazy husband is to fake her own death; the police will not help her, he will never let her go, so she had to "die" to escape him. Like I said, the story is preposterous, but the novel was still an interesting read.

by Anonymousreply 108February 21, 2020 8:43 PM

R108 Haha, I had no clue there was a novel. Learn something new everyday.

by Anonymousreply 109February 21, 2020 8:53 PM

The one in Damage. I won't spoil it for people who haven't seen the movie, but if you have you know which one I'm talking about

by Anonymousreply 110February 21, 2020 9:22 PM

Haa!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111February 21, 2020 9:29 PM

Any scene with Winona Ryder and Keanu Reeves in Dracula.

by Anonymousreply 112February 24, 2020 12:35 AM

Another scene in the incredibly stupid War of the Worlds. They're holed up in some house and get up in the morning to discover that a huge jumbo jet has crashed during the night RIGHT THERE. But they didn't hear anything or get crushed or hurt by flaming debris. Neither did their minivan parked outside. And even though there's wreckage all over the place, there's a path for them to drive away in said minivan.

by Anonymousreply 113February 24, 2020 12:47 AM

Tom Cruise's The Mummy. The entire movie including the made to be sexy Mummy.

by Anonymousreply 114February 24, 2020 12:53 AM

The buttfucking scene in [italic]Brokeback Mountain[/italic] was dumb as a bag of rocks. Anal sex after having beans for dinner? They should have been farting and shitting all night!

by Anonymousreply 115February 24, 2020 1:13 AM

R115 = Shitty little Anne

by Anonymousreply 116February 24, 2020 1:17 AM

There is nothing about [italic]Halloween[/italic] that was ever intended to be a spoof.

R36 is the [italic]Halloween[/italic] Loon, who thinks [italic]Halloween[/italic] and its sequels have no flaws and no movie does anything better than the original.

Pay it no mind. I’m capable of being a [italic]Halloween[/italic] fan without pretending it’s perfect.

by Anonymousreply 117February 24, 2020 1:42 AM

R115 I just shot my drink through my nose. Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 118February 24, 2020 1:48 AM

In "An Unfinished Life" (2005) there is a shootout, and 2 cats watch it. In real life they would have headed for the hills.

by Anonymousreply 119February 24, 2020 1:59 AM

I had to look that one up. It sounded hilarious.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 120February 24, 2020 2:05 AM

[quote]They're holed up in some house and get up in the morning to discover that a huge jumbo jet has crashed during the night RIGHT THERE. But they didn't hear anything or get crushed or hurt by flaming debris.

Now come on, yeah that they walked away unscathed but of course they heard it, the whole theater shook with the sound but they made it sound like it was "martian lightening" so they did hear it.

by Anonymousreply 121February 24, 2020 2:17 AM

I have this wicker tray that Redford and Jlo used to bring Freeman his meals. Won it at charity Miramax auction.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 122February 24, 2020 2:25 AM

You're welcome.

by Anonymousreply 123February 24, 2020 3:02 AM

Many scenes in Alien Covenant.

One memorably stupid scene is when one of the male crew members is infected with a parasite and returns to the landing ship, only to be forcibly quarantined with a female crew member who was helping him. The pilot locks the two in the medical bay, which was pointless because the pilot herself got the infected man's blood on her. She should have locked herself in with them.

The "backburster" alien erupts from the man and he dies. The pilot refuses to unlock the door and let the other woman out, so she is attacked by the alien and eventually killed. The pilot leaves during the attack, returns with a rifle and enters the room. She slips on the blood as she fires – into the ceiling. Panicking, she drops the rifle as she flees and gets her ankle caught in the sliding door as she is exiting the room. Of course. She limps away and the alien follows. She picks up another rifle and fires wildly several times more at the alien. Her last shot blows up the landing ship along with her in it.

Someone on YouTube did a parody of this scene with that Benny Hill theme music to emphasize the ridiculousness of it all. The crew members are supposed to be scientists and experts responsible for 2000 colonists in stasis, but they behave like imbeciles. Dumbass writers.

Ridley Scott used to direct good movies. Give the franchise back to James Cameron.

by Anonymousreply 124February 24, 2020 3:55 AM

Here is the scene. Not for the squeamish because it gets gory.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 125February 24, 2020 3:58 AM

This one pisses me off because it's otherwise such a good film, but the scene in Witness when Ford's character beats up the local rednecks who pick on the Amish. It's all so over the top and ridiculous, especially the way Ford drawls "But it's MY way," and obviously filmed for the sole purpose of giving Ford a he-man scene.

Another scene that mars an otherwise masterpiece: the Mike Yanagita scene in Fargo. It doesn't bother me as much because it does give Margie the realization that she can be completely fooled despite her excellent read on people, it's just bizarre and distracting.

by Anonymousreply 126February 24, 2020 4:20 AM

R56, thanks for posting that awful film Kingdom of the Spiders. I really enjoyed watching clips of it.

by Anonymousreply 127February 24, 2020 4:22 AM

I know the whole movie is stupid but the ending of MA is just thrown out the window. The boy she burns with the iron just wakes up and he is fine pretty much. Everyone else too . They just run outside and they're fine while MA goes upstairs to die. Still keeping Luke Evans in a towel covering his dick. Yea ok.

by Anonymousreply 128February 24, 2020 5:42 AM

Stupid! Stupid!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 129February 24, 2020 6:12 AM

In Grease where Rizzo says "I wasn't pregnant it was menopause."

Like we didn't already know that.

by Anonymousreply 130February 24, 2020 6:19 AM

The loading-the-dishwasher scene in "Rachel Getting Married."

by Anonymousreply 131February 24, 2020 6:24 AM

R128, MA = ?

by Anonymousreply 132February 24, 2020 3:57 PM

^^^That's the name of the movie. haha.

by Anonymousreply 133February 24, 2020 4:36 PM

Oh geez, MA. I completely forget that was a movie title.

by Anonymousreply 134February 24, 2020 5:21 PM

Probably for a reason, r134.

by Anonymousreply 135February 24, 2020 6:49 PM

R135 playing a psycho suits Octavia though.

by Anonymousreply 136February 25, 2020 12:38 AM

"I did not hit her. I did noooooot"

by Anonymousreply 137February 25, 2020 12:44 AM

R136 She was the only good thing about it. I thought she was hilarious. Put her in a remake of MISERY.

by Anonymousreply 138February 25, 2020 2:53 AM

No Escape (from stupidity)!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 139February 25, 2020 3:58 AM

You're welcome, r127, that Youtuber has a knack for some of the sillier moments.

Watch the whole thing for a good laugh. Also see Shatner with Ernest Borgnine in [italic]The Devil's Rain.[/italic] When I was a kid, the U.H.F. station in my town would play '70s B movies all afternoon on the weekends. I got my fill of "So Bad They're Good" crapfests like [italic]Kingdom of the Spiders,[/italic] [italic]Empire of the Ants,[/italic] [italic]Piranha,[/italic] etc. Good times!

Here's the ritual scene from [italic]The Devil's Rain.[/italic] The "Presto, Change-o!"effects on Borgnine and Shatner should make you lose your shit:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 140February 25, 2020 4:55 AM

R139 LMFAO, I had completely forgotten about that mess. Genuinely weird and nonsensical film.

by Anonymousreply 141February 25, 2020 5:36 AM

Movie stupidity + Nicholas Cage overracting. Two bad tastes that taste great together!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 142February 25, 2020 5:41 AM

For further viewing:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143February 25, 2020 5:43 AM

Not the bees! Not the bees!

by Anonymousreply 144February 25, 2020 5:48 AM

In case you forgot, the first two [italic]Star Wars[/italic] prequels were ALL stupid.

Red Letter Media's Mr. Plinkett made the funniest, truest, most epic takedowns of [italic]The Phantom Menace[/italic] and other blockbuster FAILS that you'll ever see.

They can be as long as the films themselves sometimes but MUCH funnier and actually worthwhile!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 145February 25, 2020 5:50 AM

The Jeffrey Tambor plate throwing scene in ...And Justice For All

by Anonymousreply 146February 25, 2020 5:52 AM

[quote]I'm watching Twister and cracking up. There was no reason for the dad to hold onto the door and get sucked away into the tornado. The mom, dog and little girl were fine standing in the back of the cellar.

Actually, something similar happened during the 2011 Joplin tornado. A Pizza Hut manager saved many lives by herding customers/staff into a walk-in freezer and bungee cording his arm to the freezer door before being sucked into the tornado and killed. He was hailed a hero, not a dumbass.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 147February 26, 2020 3:14 AM

[quote]I'm watching Twister and cracking up. There was no reason for the dad to hold onto the door and get sucked away into the tornado. The mom, dog and little girl were fine standing in the back of the cellar.

I haven't seen the whole scene in a while but wasn't he the last to get into the bunker, he got his family in first and was swept away before he could get in. It wasn't like he was just standing admiring the twister.

by Anonymousreply 148February 26, 2020 9:58 AM

Nope. Just makes it look like he died for nothing. "Stand in the back with us dad, WTF are you doing? You want to get sucked out?"

Like this passenger on the flight who got sucked out of the plane. The window broke and she was the closest one to it. The people right next to her weren't sucked out because physically, the force of suction just isn't strong enough. Once they brought her in, people kept trying to cover the hole, but no matter what they put, it got sucked out because it was right there. When they let it go and stayed away from it, they were fine.

So dad, brave as he was, died for nothing. He could have gone to the back, watched the cellar door go and have been fine.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 149February 26, 2020 10:17 AM

The couple having sex in a cinema in Unfaithful. They seemed to be the only people in the audience which you would think would draw more attention to themselves. What were the ushers doing? Watching?

by Anonymousreply 150February 27, 2020 2:57 AM

"The scene in the Breakfast Club where Andrew gets stoned and yells so loud he shatters the glass."

ALL the scenes in "The Breakfast Club" were stupid. Especially the one where The Jock falls in love with The Basket Case after she gets a makeover: "I don't want to be alone anymore" "You don't have to be."

by Anonymousreply 151February 27, 2020 3:01 AM

[quote]Especially the one where The Jock falls in love with The Basket Case after she gets a makeover

That makeover was awful. She looked a lot more natural before and her style was actually interesting. The Princess turned her into Bland Preppy White Girl.

by Anonymousreply 152February 27, 2020 3:54 AM

The scene in TITANIC when Cal goes postal when he sees Rose jump out of the lifeboat and runs back to Jack. It was so glaringly stupid and unnecessary. There’s a good reason why the screenplay didn’t get a nomination...

by Anonymousreply 153February 27, 2020 8:21 AM

All the scenes in "St. Elmo's Fire." But especially the one where Jules tries to commit suicide by freezing to death. She attempts this by leaving her windows open on a cold day.

by Anonymousreply 154February 27, 2020 8:29 PM

All of Independence Day, but the scene where Vivica Fox and her kid escape the inferno in a tunnel and the dog Boomer jumping into their arms at the last minute. Puh-leeze, they would have all been instantly incinerated.

Also all of Volcano, but the scene where Norm 'Son of a Gunderson' from Fargo (sorry, don't know the actor's name) pulls the unconscious subway conductor out and tries to jump the lava but misses and slowly melts, while he throws the conductor's body to safety. Laugh out loud ridiculous! Also all of the racist cop and black kid from Compton tension, but we all pull together in the end to defeat the volcano. L.A. Unity!

by Anonymousreply 155February 27, 2020 8:41 PM

[Quote] All of Independence Day, but the scene where Vivica Fox and her kid escape the inferno in a tunnel and the dog Boomer jumping into their arms at the last minute. Puh-leeze, they would have all been instantly incinerated.

I'm guessing you didn't even bother with the sequel.

by Anonymousreply 156February 27, 2020 10:28 PM

I just want to throw up every time I see this scene.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 157February 27, 2020 10:55 PM

I groaned in the rather tony "In the Name of the Father" when Emma Thompson is accidentally handed a box that exonerates her client, DDL, and the box says EVIDENCE in big letters on it or something else obvious. In case we didn't get it. Puke.

by Anonymousreply 158February 27, 2020 11:23 PM

R158 I love that film but I roll my eyes every time that scene comes up. It reminds me of some stupid TV movie with Kelly Lynch where she finds porn on a burned disc in her son's room, labeled "VIRGIN VAGINAS". Even the dumbest teenager would write something like "School science project" or "Summer music mix" on a DVD like that.

by Anonymousreply 159February 28, 2020 12:10 AM

Any & every scene in Brokeback mnt. What a terrible movie. I can’t quit you!

by Anonymousreply 160February 28, 2020 12:20 AM

Not a scene, per se, but dumb all the same. In ATONEMENT, I found it hilarious that the character 'Briony' had the same exact pageboy haircut as a young girl, an adult woman, and an old lady. Obviously, this was the filmmakers underestimating the audience, because the character was played by three different actresses

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 161February 28, 2020 12:44 AM

"Dr Lecter? Dr Lecter? Dr Lecter?..." He literally said bye and hung up the phone and proceeded to walk away in his little-house-on-the-prairie wig and fedora. She's still on the other end looking stupefied.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 162February 28, 2020 12:51 AM

[Quote] It reminds me of some stupid TV movie with Kelly Lynch where she finds porn on a burned disc in her son's room, labeled "VIRGIN VAGINAS". Even the dumbest teenager would write something like "School science project" or "Summer music mix" on a DVD like that.

Cyber Seduction: His Secret Life

by Anonymousreply 163February 28, 2020 12:57 AM

I love Lifetime movie titles. Another fave is "She Woke Up Pregnant" about a dentist who rapes his female patients while they're under sedatives during dental surgery

by Anonymousreply 164February 28, 2020 1:03 AM

R159 I have never seen that film but I can't stop laughing at the label.

by Anonymousreply 165February 28, 2020 1:10 AM

R165 The film is a scream! It's about a teenage boy who becomes addicted to internet porn. And they make it seem like it's something bad.

by Anonymousreply 166February 28, 2020 1:14 AM

Maybe I will check it out on YouTube for a laugh. Lifetime is usually good for a chuckle. Can't be worse than half the crap on Netflix.

by Anonymousreply 167February 28, 2020 2:06 AM

"Any & every scene in Brokeback mnt. What a terrible movie. I can’t quit you!"

Actually, it appears YOU are the stupid one because nothing was stupid in that movie. I guess you were too stupid to get it.

by Anonymousreply 168February 28, 2020 2:17 AM

The scene in that Diane Lane film (some sexual drama, I've forgotten the name ) where Richard Gere offs Olivier Martinez with a snowglobe

by Anonymousreply 169February 28, 2020 2:20 AM

R169 Unfaithful? What was dumb about that movie?

by Anonymousreply 170February 28, 2020 2:24 AM

R170 Yes that was it. The movie as a whole was quite good , I just found the scene where Gere hits Martinez with a snowglobe kind of dumb.

by Anonymousreply 171February 28, 2020 2:27 AM

R162 and he went to Bermuda where he will stick out on a teeny island.

by Anonymousreply 172February 28, 2020 2:59 AM

Actually the woman in "Unfaithful" was pretty dumb. She has a nice marriage, a nice kid and a nice life...and she risks it all to fuck some sleazy, younger bookseller. The dumb bitch.

by Anonymousreply 173February 28, 2020 3:06 AM

Come on, I tear up at the end of "Brokeback" but it has some truly stupid scenes. Especially the silly note in the fish tackle box bit that Michelle Williams (groan) shrieks about -- because the note was still there so no fishing went on. No shit. She already saw her husband having an EXTENDED HEATED MAKING OUT scene in public with his friend; the jig is pretty much up then, isn't it? But the unopened fishing tackle box finally tells her "the truth"?

Pretty much anything involving the women -- Williams and her clothesline cliche, AnnE and her godawful wigs, etc.-- brings the movie down a notch. I kept yelling, "You guys just move where you want and say you are cousins and do whatever you please. Nobody will care" But no...

by Anonymousreply 174February 28, 2020 3:18 AM

Also, as mentioned upthread, making fun of "St. Homo's Fire" is a favorite DL pasttime at this point and like shooting fish in a barrel. But it, too, has one of those stupid EVIDENCE mistakes, a really stupid one in fact. When Emilio, whose every moment is pretty awful, tells the robot Andie Mc that he is now working for a Korean diplomat and holds up a newspaper with the politician's photo and the headline is, no lie, "KOREAN DIPLOMAT". And that's all (maybe I have the title wrong but you get the idea). It makes you wonder if anyone was in charge of the ship, especially a former set designer like Schumacher. Too high on coke, maybe.

by Anonymousreply 175February 28, 2020 3:25 AM

Michael Douglas trying to kill himself by falling off a roof of a high rise in The Game. This is the worst contrivance in a film shit full of them and I don't believe this man would have done it ,but 'the game" necessitates that he does.

by Anonymousreply 176February 28, 2020 4:05 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!