Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Bloomberg's healthcare plan? Eugenics.

Bloomberg explaining how healthcare will “bankrupt us,” unless we deny care to the elderly.

“If you show up with cancer & you’re 95 years old, we should say...there’s no cure, we can’t do anything.

A young person, we should do something. Society’s not willing to do that, yet.”

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 18February 17, 2020 11:33 PM

Wow.

For a Jewish person to say something like this? Shameful.

I know some 90+ year old people who are in better health and who live cleaner than some 35-45 year old people. They could live to be centenarians, and suddenly we're going to tell them "Hey, we know you and the family who take care of you have done all the right things--diet, exercise, clean living, healthcare maintenance--but you're 95 now, and you should just go into hospice and die. We'll spend YOUR hard-earned tax dollars on the 35 year old wastrels who smoke, drink to excess, take drugs, and live on fast food." Okay? Bene."

Yeah, no. Fuck you, Mike.

by Anonymousreply 1February 17, 2020 6:59 PM

OP, so you’ve got 6 more years before that threshold. What’s the issue?

by Anonymousreply 2February 17, 2020 7:10 PM

Disqualifying. Don't think Trump won't play this around the clock should Bloomberg be the nominee. Trump already kisses up to the elderly in Florida. He'd love to use this to score points with elderly voters nationwide.

by Anonymousreply 3February 17, 2020 7:12 PM

[quote]“If you show up with cancer & you’re 95 years old, we should say...there’s no cure, we can’t do anything.

He means for the poors. He's not talking about 95-year old billionaires.

by Anonymousreply 4February 17, 2020 7:13 PM

The elderly take up an astonishing amount of healthcare resources. And very little of it has to do with quality of life. One day we will look back and think it is insane how we as a society have basically denied healthcare to young people in their 20s but spent Trillions on keeping alive with no quality of life simply because Medicare would pay the bills and hospitals make money on expensive tests and $25k per day hospitalizations.

by Anonymousreply 5February 17, 2020 7:24 PM

That's not eugenics. I think the word you were looking might be "euthanasia."

by Anonymousreply 6February 17, 2020 7:52 PM

I agree, but I’m not sure how we’d implement that.

by Anonymousreply 7February 17, 2020 8:26 PM

Did he really say that or are the Russian bots afraid of him. That sounds something a blithering old fool would say so I asked Siri 78. This makes me lean towards Mayor Pete. Inexperienced Mayor Pete.

by Anonymousreply 8February 17, 2020 8:27 PM

This Samuel D. Finklestein II, from his Twitter, states he's a law school student and he appears to be a Bernie fan and/or Trump supporter.

Don't bite on this thread.

by Anonymousreply 9February 17, 2020 8:36 PM

I'm not sure what part of this being Bloomberg's actual voice on an actual clip seems fake to the paranoid billionaire-loving douchebros, but do tell.

by Anonymousreply 10February 17, 2020 9:00 PM

We get so many links on DL. Please forgive us ,dear if we don’t click on them all. I didn’t and half heartedly believed it.

by Anonymousreply 11February 17, 2020 9:19 PM

The internet must be a very frightening place for you, Dear.

by Anonymousreply 12February 17, 2020 9:39 PM

[quote]This Samuel D. Finklestein II, from his Twitter, states he's a law school student and he appears to be a Bernie fan and/or Trump supporter.

[quote]Don't bite on this thread.

I think this new trend is so bizarre where we are supposed to discount what we saw/heard with our own eyes and ears because of the source it came from.

by Anonymousreply 13February 17, 2020 9:42 PM

That's not "eugenics", eugenics is control of reproduction. Which is not happening at 95! No, this is rationing of care, which is done in most healthcare systems, but which is a huge slippery slope.

Although right now, the rationing of care is being done by health insurance companies on an individual basis, they decide what treatments and surgeries will be paid for, on the basis of... peer-reviewed research, cost-benefit analyses, whatever your individual policy says, consulting with Satan's minions, etc. It also happens with Medicare and will probably happen more, because yes - the elderly are huge consumers of expensive medical care and much of it is futile. I'm all for cutting down on futile care, and if you'd ever seen anyone kept alive on long-term ventilator support you would be too, but government regulators are not the best people to decide what care should be given or not. That should come from the people involved.

by Anonymousreply 14February 17, 2020 10:36 PM

Ever see the movie Logan’s Run? Bloomberg was my back-up for Pete

by Anonymousreply 15February 17, 2020 10:45 PM

That's not eugenics.

It's how health care is rationally apportioned in Canada. It's called actuary tables.

by Anonymousreply 16February 17, 2020 10:52 PM

Duh! It's the old people that get ill.

Few twenty year olds succumb to major illnesses.

by Anonymousreply 17February 17, 2020 11:13 PM

This is the problem with someone jumping into the race a year after everyone else. This, and other shit, it going to trickle out now, right in the middle of the primaries. He needed to be vetted much sooner as a national candidate. Add the late comer status to the fact that he's just skipping all the early primaries and his ability to sell himself with a billion dollars worth of fawning commercials in the Super Tuesday states and you get someone who will win before anyone knows anything about him except stuff that comes from his own campaign. Ridiculous.

by Anonymousreply 18February 17, 2020 11:33 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!