Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

'The Invisible Man' becomes early Oscar favorite for 2021

The early reviews are calling it a masterpiece of tension and Elisabeth Moss a shoo-in for an Oscar nomination giving her best performance to date. Oliver Jackson-Cohen is about to become a huge star playing the invisible man.

Wow: #TheInvisibleMan elevates @LWhannell to a full blown master of horror. Beautifully written, impeccably shot and some of the most suffocating moments of genuine terror you’ll ever experience.

After seeing #TheInvisibleMan I’m excited for more and more people to see it. Truly a modern horror story with no ghosts, just the terror of reality. Goes without saying that Elisabeth Moss is brilliant

Brief thoughts (since I've seen some others talking about it): W/#TheInvisibleMan, Leigh Whannell has crafted a masterclass in tension and terror, and I think my jaw was left on the floor at least twice. Completely thrilling, visceral and emotional.

#TheInvisibleMan is a terrifying masterpiece of futuristic horror noir brilliantly directed by @LWhannell . #ElisabethMoss is outstanding! You’ll FEEL every second of her claustrophobic fear. #BenjaminWallfisch ‘s score is a contender for best score of 2020. What an experience...

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 419April 6, 2020 9:26 PM

Uh huh. What’s in it for you to push this tripe?

by Anonymousreply 1February 14, 2020 1:59 AM

Yeah, yeah, yeah, everyone's an Oscar shoo-in lately, just like Taron Egerton and Lupita N'Yongo and Robert DeNiro this year.

by Anonymousreply 2February 14, 2020 2:00 AM

That's the ugly fat bitch from the handmaid's tale isn't it? Glad she died in US.

I'm only going to watch this if Oliver Baron Cohen damita Jo Jackson presents hole

by Anonymousreply 3February 14, 2020 2:05 AM

I loved Oliver in The Haunting of Hill House. Does anybody know when the 2nd season starts?

by Anonymousreply 4February 14, 2020 2:12 AM

I want to believe that since he has to be naked to be invisible, we get to see Oliver fully nude at some point.

by Anonymousreply 5February 14, 2020 2:21 AM

Is this about being a black man in the 21st century?

by Anonymousreply 6February 14, 2020 2:30 AM

Have you ever had a fantasy about having sex with an invisible man?

I seem to remember a movie about just this with Barbara Hershey or some other actress.

by Anonymousreply 7February 14, 2020 3:42 AM

I'm laughing to the point of crying at the idea that Oliver Jackson-Cohen is "about to become a huge star" for this role - I like him, but according to several friends who have seen it, he's barely in this movie, and even the director is calling it a "one-woman show" and has talked a lot in interviews about how in most scenes she was just standing there talking to herslef.

And the Academy HATES horror, no matter how good it is, so Elisabeth Moss can dream on unless the Church of Scientology buys her an Oscar too.

Here are some photos I found on Twitter from the London premiere that prove, definitively, that Oliver Jackson-Cohen does not know any tailors.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 18, 2020 10:52 PM

'The Invisible Man' concept has been done to fucking death.

If I never see another 'Invisible Man' Movie or TV Show again I will die happy.

by Anonymousreply 9February 18, 2020 11:21 PM

I doubt we're gonna see Oliver naked, he has weird hang ups with nudity and sex due to being sexually abused as a child.

by Anonymousreply 10February 18, 2020 11:25 PM

Now that we actually have the special effects to show the Invisible Man as H. G. Wells conceived him...we're not doing it. Fine.

by Anonymousreply 11February 18, 2020 11:28 PM

So stoked to see it

by Anonymousreply 12February 18, 2020 11:32 PM

She’s ugly and is ACTING! in the terrible previews.

by Anonymousreply 13February 18, 2020 11:36 PM

First it was comic book movies winning Oscars and now it’s rehashes and reboots of tired old properties that are getting awards.

Hollywood is dead.

by Anonymousreply 14February 18, 2020 11:47 PM

What’s the deal with Elizabeth Moss? Surely there are better actors who are easier on the eyes than her? Is scientology paying for her career?

by Anonymousreply 15February 18, 2020 11:51 PM

I love Elizabeth Moss. Fantastic actor. She was great in Her Smell.

by Anonymousreply 16February 18, 2020 11:54 PM

Too bad radio drama is no longer a thing. Elizabeth Moss has a face made for radio.

by Anonymousreply 17February 19, 2020 12:10 AM

But according to OP, it's an early Oscar favorite!

Other Oscar favorites likely to be competition include BAD BOYS FOR LIFE and FANTASY ISLAND and CHARLIES ANGELS.

by Anonymousreply 18February 19, 2020 12:24 AM

Didn't think much of it when I saw the trailer. Plus I'd rather not give my money to a clam.

R18 I'd pick Fantasy Island lol

by Anonymousreply 19February 19, 2020 12:38 AM

I love Moss. Plan to see this opening night.

by Anonymousreply 20February 19, 2020 12:45 AM

BOYCOTT THAT SCIENTOLOGIST NUTJOB!....she is FOUL! she thinks she's cool and edgy when she flips photographers off at awards shows.. sitting at a table at the show no less! so much for her being a "higher being" then the rest of us!..

by Anonymousreply 21February 19, 2020 12:47 AM

Elizabeth Moss is acreepy Scientologist. Oliver Jackson Cohen should be the next James Bond,

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 22February 19, 2020 12:50 AM

R10 he's done multiple explicit sex scenes while showing his ass and with both men and women and ran around mostly naked in Emerald City. He's actually played a rapist once and is probably playing a pedophile in the second season of Hill House (his character was one in the book this season is based on). So... if he's not naked in this movie, it's not due to his history of childhood trauma.

by Anonymousreply 23February 19, 2020 12:51 AM

R19 I had such high hopes for Fantasy Island but unlike with this film early reviews are eviscerating it. Looks like an early awards contender alright... the Razzies

by Anonymousreply 24February 19, 2020 12:56 AM

Should DL be honored to have been chosen as a marketing tool by Oliver's agent?

by Anonymousreply 25February 19, 2020 1:07 AM

I like him, but he is not anywhere near being a "huge star" so no.

And Jesus, they both look absolutely head-to-toe awful in that photo call.

by Anonymousreply 26February 19, 2020 1:33 AM

Can you imagine him sticking his big, hard cock into your ass while you're in the shower and you can't even see him? Just the thought of it turns me on! Talk about surprise anal.

by Anonymousreply 27February 19, 2020 1:39 AM

Emerald City explicit? Oh, please. You must have been living in a convent all your life.

by Anonymousreply 28February 19, 2020 1:41 AM

I think the OP is a Scientologist. Moss is a ugly overrated actress. Oscar? 😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 29February 19, 2020 1:42 AM

Learn to read, R28. Nobody called Emerald City explicit, but he was at least shirtless every episode

by Anonymousreply 30February 19, 2020 1:44 AM

Was Her Smell a Cheryl biopic?

by Anonymousreply 31February 19, 2020 1:44 AM

I wish this was called The Invisible woman. So we wouldn't have to see dogface Elisabeth Moss.

by Anonymousreply 32February 19, 2020 1:50 AM

You’re vile r32. Watch yourself

by Anonymousreply 33February 19, 2020 1:51 AM

What early reviews?

by Anonymousreply 34February 19, 2020 1:51 AM

More Scientologists on this thread. Do you scrub Tom Cruise's toilet?

by Anonymousreply 35February 19, 2020 1:53 AM

R24 not a huge shock. I still want to see it (preferably drunk).

by Anonymousreply 36February 19, 2020 1:58 AM

The ads look silly.

by Anonymousreply 37February 19, 2020 2:00 AM

I'll see it for 1.99 at Redbox.

by Anonymousreply 38February 19, 2020 2:16 AM

I guess I'm in the minority because I enjoyed the trailer, and am excited to see it. I've never heard of Oliver Jackson Cohen, but I enjoy Moss' acting most of the time.

I also enjoyed the new Sonic the Hedgehog movie, so what do I know.

by Anonymousreply 39February 19, 2020 2:34 AM

I’m certainly going to see it. My movie bud wants to see it too

by Anonymousreply 40February 19, 2020 2:49 AM

Please don't pay to see this movie. Every penny she earns funds a dangerous cult.

by Anonymousreply 41February 19, 2020 2:57 AM

Isn't the Oscars in like a year? This movie be long forgotten by then. Early Reviews? Us Weekly or Daily Mail.

by Anonymousreply 42February 19, 2020 3:15 AM
Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 43February 19, 2020 3:30 AM

R23 Is he really playing a pedophile in the second season of Hill House? Jesus, and not very long after playing an abuser in this. That can't be good for his mental health, especially considering the trauma he's been through and the issues he has. Do we predict a breakdown coming soon?

by Anonymousreply 44February 19, 2020 3:35 AM

I think this one has potential. Leigh Whanell has turned out some great movies since his Saw days and I'm more interested to see it for him.

by Anonymousreply 45February 19, 2020 3:44 AM

No thanks. Tom Cruise in The Mummy. Can only take one Scientologist screwing up a horror movie.

by Anonymousreply 46February 19, 2020 3:58 AM

R46 Oddly enough those two movies are supposedly connected in Universal's "Dark Universe", AKA their attempt at copying the success of the MCU but with classic movie monsters instead of superheroes.

Does this mean the thread connecting the shared universe of Universal's "Dark Universe" is scientology? Maybe.

by Anonymousreply 47February 19, 2020 4:00 AM

I actually read that Universal gave up the idea of the shared Dark Universe with the Cruise flop and is just now parceling out the characters to whoever comes up with good pitches for them. For example, Elizabeth Banks is producing and directing an "Invisible Woman" film that's unrelated to this one, and Amy Pascal is on board now for a Bride of Frankenstein reboot that's rumored to be starring Angelina Jolie.

by Anonymousreply 48February 19, 2020 6:01 AM

[quote] If I never see another 'Invisible Man' Movie or TV Show again I will die happy.

That seems an easily attainable goal. Or are you expecting someone to force you into seeing this at gunpoint?

by Anonymousreply 49February 19, 2020 6:26 AM

P.S. FOR THOSE WHO MIGHT BE INTERESTED IN SEEING 'fantasy island"?? MICHAEL PENA the "star" of the movie is also a scientologist! so don't do it!..

by Anonymousreply 50February 19, 2020 1:27 PM

Leigh Wannell is writing and directing a remake of John Carpenter's Escape from New York.

by Anonymousreply 51February 19, 2020 4:32 PM

Now that my mother is dead, my elderly father will go to the movie theater to see shit movies like this.

I can’t imagine who else has the patience for such rubbish.

by Anonymousreply 52February 19, 2020 4:39 PM

Leigh Wannell is really cute. He needs to do some nude scenes.

by Anonymousreply 53February 19, 2020 5:14 PM

Leigh Whannell really is very handsome.

by Anonymousreply 54February 19, 2020 7:43 PM

R53 I believe he's done a few.

by Anonymousreply 55February 19, 2020 7:48 PM

R27 bold of you to suggest a man who fanboys over Rihanna, Celine Dion, Xavier Dolan and Ariana Grande and Instagram follows most of the cast of Queer Eye would be a top.

by Anonymousreply 56February 19, 2020 7:52 PM

R55 has he? I must have missed those.

by Anonymousreply 57February 19, 2020 8:55 PM

So this guy has figured out a way to become invisible and he thinks the highest and best use is to stalk Elizabeth Moss?

by Anonymousreply 58February 19, 2020 9:25 PM

R56 In the deluded minds of the Uncle Bottoms of the Datalounge (which is about 99.9% of its users) every man except for themselves is a masculine top. But in reality Oliver is most definitely a bottom. One only needs to look at his instagram habits and style of selfie to see that.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 59February 19, 2020 9:37 PM

Early reviews are good but I doubt it's Oscar worthy.

by Anonymousreply 60February 19, 2020 10:38 PM

The Oscars hate horror. You can mention Get Out, but the only reason Get Out was nominated was because it dealt with people of color and it was happening during the #OscarsSoWhite year, so they probably felt pressured to nominate something. They took one look at that movie and said "hey, at least it's well written, acted, and competently made unlike those Tyler Perry movies" and threw it a bone. It's a good (even great) movie, but not traditionally Oscar worthy in the slightest. Then again, at least it was entertaining and memorable unlike most of the other movies that have been nominated in the past decade.

Moss might turn in a brilliant performance in this, but she won't be nominated for it just like Florence Pugh and Toni Collette weren't nominated for Midsommar and Hereditary. Every now and then, a horror film or horror performance will sneak in there, but it's rare.

by Anonymousreply 61February 19, 2020 11:01 PM

R61 Horror films only get nominated now if they're about people of color (Get Out, Parasite, etc).

by Anonymousreply 62February 19, 2020 11:21 PM

The last movie that won awards that was horror was "Silence of the Lambs", but I think they sold it as a psychological thriller.

by Anonymousreply 63February 19, 2020 11:21 PM

The "psychological thriller" label was big in the 90's when horror was basically dead. It was really just code for "this is a horror movie, but we have big name stars and a bigger budget than usual, so we feel ashamed to call it a horror film." Silence of the Lambs was totally a horror movie. A very well made and well acted one, but a horror movie just the same. If someone bites someone's face off and then arranges their corpse into some sort of gory, perverse art exhibit, there's nothing very psychological about that.

by Anonymousreply 64February 19, 2020 11:23 PM

Did you see even Parasite, r62? I wouldn't consider it 'horror'.

by Anonymousreply 65February 19, 2020 11:27 PM

r61. Also Blumhouse is gunning for an Oscar for one of his movies. He's been a presence for the last few years and I hope his movies never win.

by Anonymousreply 66February 19, 2020 11:27 PM

I've seen people call Parasite (which to be fair has a ghost story and plenty of violence) existential horror. It doesn't really fit any genre IMO.

Jason Blum is nowhere near as attractive as Leigh Whannell. He looks like an animatronic robot from Disneyland.

by Anonymousreply 67February 19, 2020 11:36 PM

Blumhouse has a really bad reputation in the business. They don't like to pay their employees. Bunch of cheap bastards.

by Anonymousreply 68February 19, 2020 11:41 PM

There isn't a ghost story in Parasite. The kid thinks he sees a ghost but *******SPOILERS SPOILERS******* it's the man who lives in the sub basement who is very much alive. It has been dubbed a 'dark social satire' but if it's your idea of 'existential horror', fine.

by Anonymousreply 69February 19, 2020 11:45 PM

r68, yes. He was banned from filming in L.A. for a while for breaking all sorts of rules. And a misogynist to boot. He's also behind this iteration of Invisible Man.

by Anonymousreply 70February 19, 2020 11:56 PM

Yes, I'm aware of the reveal of the "ghost story" that the rich mom tells, R69. Lots of "ghost stories" have that kind of ending but it was presented in a horroresque way from her/ the kid's pov so some people cite it as a horror element. It has horror elements but I can concede it's not a perfect fit as "horror." Great movie either way.

I'm reading on social media that there actually isn't that much gore or shock value in The Invisible Man, and that a lot of scenes are just Elisabeth Moss yelling in an empty room, so I guess it's really going for the psychological angle.

by Anonymousreply 71February 19, 2020 11:56 PM

Blum is the type to pay his big actors peanuts, but offers them a huge portion of the film's profits. This worked out pretty well for Jamie Lee Curtis with that last Halloween movie. I wouldn't be surprised if that wasn't the biggest pay day of her career.

by Anonymousreply 72February 20, 2020 1:58 AM

This film had a $7 million production budget, so I don't think anyone in the cast made bank here either. It's a smart formula, make movies on the cheap, have the actors promote the hell out of it and it almost can't flop even if hardly anyone sees it.

by Anonymousreply 73February 20, 2020 3:02 AM

[Quote] He was banned from filming in L.A. for a while for breaking all sorts of rules. And a misogynist to boot.

Have any of the actresses talked about this??

by Anonymousreply 74February 20, 2020 6:50 AM

I get it. It's Hollywood.

But kinda ridiculous to cast a guy THAT good-looking in this role. I'm not dismissing any of his abuse towards the main character BUT many FUCKED UP people would put up with him because of how hot he is. It would be nice to address that psychology in the film tho.

To me, Buscemi or (insert odd-looking actor's name here) would be more realistic.

by Anonymousreply 75February 20, 2020 10:17 AM

r74. He's sweet as pie to his actresses, but on his staff, nope. One producer quit after 10ish years of being passed over, and she was with him since the beginning. He berated and threatened another friend of mine for working on a (better) rival project telling her that she would never work with him again. Guess what? She just worked for him again (I hate that she went back). I did hear of poor Shirley Knight's treatment on, "Mercy", but I guess she's so old, no one cares.

He's also stiffed two male friends of mine in their backend, and yet one still works with him- he's very powerful and most of his movies get theatrical release. I asked around why Peele is still loyal to him, and the answer I got was that WB turned down "Get Out" given "Keanu"'s (where do you put the plural s?) dismal performance. Blum gave him money to make it, it got critical acclaim, and Peele is a loyal guy.

by Anonymousreply 76February 20, 2020 2:12 PM

OP = Lynn Stairmaster

by Anonymousreply 77February 20, 2020 2:18 PM

I agree with you R76 I really don"t get the elephant in the room thing about how ugly she is, yet keeps being cast as the desirable ingenue. Huh?? He is way too hot to be with such an ugly woman in this movie.

by Anonymousreply 78February 20, 2020 2:54 PM

oops meant R75.

by Anonymousreply 79February 20, 2020 2:55 PM

r75/r78, who would you have cast instead?

Sleeping With The Enemy may have been a simplistic thriller, but part of the reason it worked as well as it did was the casting of Julia Roberts as the pretty, fragile young wife and Patrick Bergin (WHET him?) as wealthy, older, abusive husband.

by Anonymousreply 80February 20, 2020 3:03 PM

As much as I like Elizabeth Moss, this ain’t winning jackshit. It’s being dumped in February with TV ads which indicate a flop, you know the type, something cut down to 20 seconds, ending with a quick cut to who the studio and the director are but very quickly, so you don’t get to read too much what’s on the screen. Isn’t the production company basically a glorified maker of B-movie rethreads, like a slightly upscale Troma?

by Anonymousreply 81February 20, 2020 3:19 PM

This says nothing about the film's actual quality, but box office predictors are currently projecting a $24m opening weekend, which is several times the production budget. It's not only not going to be a financial flop, it's almost certainly going to become a franchise.

by Anonymousreply 82February 20, 2020 5:17 PM

It looks like it has potential to be good. Whannell hasn't let me down yet and is one of the best writers in the genre, so I have faith in it. Every now and then, Blumhouse does deliver the goods. Maybe Blum likes to keep us guessing. Most of the stuff he releases straight to Netflix or Hulu is total shit, but a few of the theatrical movies have been ok. Get Out was definitely a good one and he could probably ride on that wave forever considering what a critical, audience, and box office hit it was.

The one thing that bothers me about Blumhouse movies is that they all sort of look the same and have the same beige style. Even that new Halloween movie looked a bit generic like it could have been made by anyone.

by Anonymousreply 83February 20, 2020 6:06 PM

I wonder if there will be any nudity.

by Anonymousreply 84February 20, 2020 6:17 PM

I'm glad it is not a ghost or something supernatural, we have not really seen a good actual scientific invisible Man movie in quite a while, I can't even think of the last one

by Anonymousreply 85February 20, 2020 7:55 PM

r83- Don't forget Split & Glass- those were solid. You would be surprised at what BH churns out- Whiplash, The Normal Heart, Paranormal Activity, the Insidious franchise, Ouija: Origin of Evil, Sinister, Lords of Salem, The Purge franchise, Ma, Black Kklansman, and Leigh's Upgrade (which wasn't promoted properly).

by Anonymousreply 86February 20, 2020 8:32 PM

R89 It was called Hollow Man and it was shit.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 87February 20, 2020 8:43 PM

^^ Sorry meant R85^^

by Anonymousreply 88February 20, 2020 8:51 PM

[quote]I wonder if there will be any nudity.

If you're invisible, aren't you technically nude? You could walk around nude anywhere you wanted and no one would know. You could walk into a football locker room without a stitch of clothing on and writhe around on the floor if you wanted.

by Anonymousreply 89February 20, 2020 11:41 PM

The first PA movie was fine. I enjoyed Unfriended, The Visit and Happy Death Day. I recently checked out Truth Or Dare, and I love how they pretty much glossed over the gay character's backstory. Of course he didn't make it to the end.

by Anonymousreply 90February 21, 2020 12:42 AM

R90 The gay character was just there to be gay and die. But I'm not surprised, horror movies aren't targeted towards gay guys, which is why there's blonde naked girls running around and getting stabbed instead of blond naked guys.

by Anonymousreply 91February 21, 2020 1:04 AM

I've answered some of those "What would you do to survive if you were in a horror movie?" questions by saying I'd immediately get it on with the nearest decent-looking guy. You never see THAT in a horror movie, so we'd be safe while the slasher/ghost/demon runs off to find some heterosexual people to kill.

by Anonymousreply 92February 21, 2020 1:31 AM

R91 I know. But I was hoping they would at least show his dad's reaction to when he came out since they made a big deal about him being a homophobe.

by Anonymousreply 93February 21, 2020 7:08 AM

I don’t even think Moss is ugly at all R78. In fact, I think she’s pretty cute. However, she is what people would call “Hollywood ugly” and that’s really a shame.

I just think that the idea that someone who looks like Jackson-Cohen would waste his time obsessing over one woman who doesn’t want him is hard to believe when he could go to the local Tom Thumb and find someone hotter and more willing to put up with his shit.

I mean...him finding invisibility is more believable than this obsession. I think Cumberbatch or Martin Freeman or Rain Wilson (all of which I find attractive on some level, btw) would be better choices because they have a natural look of desperation.

by Anonymousreply 94February 21, 2020 9:40 AM

R7, that's The Entity

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 95February 21, 2020 10:07 AM

R94.. i guess this is a CLASSIC case of "suspension of belief".....

i used to point stuff like this all the time to my father and he would say "well, you know it IS a movie!" lol!..

by Anonymousreply 96February 21, 2020 10:42 AM

R96, it’s “suspension of disbelief”

by Anonymousreply 97February 21, 2020 12:24 PM

It's not really about attraction, it's about control. Also it's kind of theme of the day. Audience apparently wants the stories about abusive cruel straight white men and badass women who kicked their asses. The thing is that Moss has extremely disturbed and unhappy look in her eyes. I don't know what happened to her, but she looks absolutely miserable.

by Anonymousreply 98February 21, 2020 1:55 PM

R98 Scientology happened to her. It's exhausting being a member of an abusive, sexist cult while at the same time trying to center your career around playing badass feminist roles. The juggling act drains you.

by Anonymousreply 99February 21, 2020 2:42 PM

R99

I really doubt it. She was raised in it, she doesn't feel like something is wrong.

by Anonymousreply 100February 21, 2020 2:52 PM

I think she is pregnant. Look at her, look at her recent pictures. Probably difficult pregnancy during promotour. No wonder she looks miserable.

by Anonymousreply 101February 21, 2020 3:21 PM

R101 I wasn't going to say it but I think she is too. She's been seeing someone for about a year now and she's certainly put on weight recently rather quickly. Looking through her Instagram you can see a few weeks ago she wore a body hugging mini dress and she looks very different now.

by Anonymousreply 102February 21, 2020 4:39 PM

R102

How do you know she was seeing someone for a year? I am sure she is. But i wonder why she is keeping it so private.

by Anonymousreply 103February 21, 2020 5:40 PM

Oh please, it looks ridiculous. I bet there were be a scene where her knickers fly off all on their own.

by Anonymousreply 104February 21, 2020 5:54 PM

R103 she has been telling people she's seeing someone since early last spring, but won't say who and says she wants to keep it private. She and Fred Armisen had a very public relationship followed by an equally public and very messy divorce a few years back so I guess she doesn't want a repeat.

by Anonymousreply 105February 21, 2020 7:52 PM

She's a lesbian.

by Anonymousreply 106February 21, 2020 11:05 PM

Moss is very popular in Hollywood and I think she will get an Oscar nomination.

I don't think Jamie Lee Curtis has any shot at getting one.

by Anonymousreply 107February 21, 2020 11:40 PM

r107, are you implying that Jamie Lee is not well-liked in Hollywood?

by Anonymousreply 108February 22, 2020 1:57 AM

Remember when some people thought Jamie Lee would get an Oscar nom for that last Halloween movie? She had nothing Oscar worthy to do in that piece of shit. H20, on the other hand, is like a series of Oscar clip moments - the scene in cafe with her boyfriend and the scene where she tells her boyfriend about her past were far more worthy of an Oscar nom that anything in that new movie.

by Anonymousreply 109February 22, 2020 3:41 AM

R105

I saw some pictures of her supposed partner on Instagram. Rather heavy, not a good looking man. Not sure it's a partner, maybe just a friend.

I can't imagine doing promo for a movie while pregnant. Flying every other day, endless interviews, premieres, posing with fans for selfies. Jane Tierney anyone?

by Anonymousreply 110February 22, 2020 5:09 AM

I think that's him, R110. I also think that she's really obviously pregnant. She's even holding her belly in her latest instastories.

Here she was in December:

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 111February 22, 2020 5:59 AM

Here she is a few days ago with what looks to me like a very obvious baby bump (for the record, I honestly don't care either way, I just think we're right about this gossip):

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 112February 22, 2020 6:01 AM

R112

I can't post links, but there are a lot of pictures when she looks pregnant. I do understand why she's private about it. But seriously, she doesn't look very well health wise. Promotour is exhausting.

by Anonymousreply 113February 22, 2020 8:43 AM

UH OH, i hope she's not pregnant because i'm pretty sure premarital sex is a big NO NO in her abusive insidious and scam cult scientology! OH WAIT, SILLY ME, i forgot

1) celebs get to break the rules and i guess they think that as celebs they SHOULD be able to break the rules unlike those "other" members (if that is their thinking these celebs are even MORE fucked up!)

or is it 2) I DIDN"T know the rules on this

or is it 3) everyone can get pregnant there is no rule in scientology about this, (which is a lie or they don't know their "religion" that well after all!)..

good thing moss isn't in the seaorg and being raised in this cult has NO IDEA what goes in with seaorg members who get pregnant ! (sarcasm)..

MONUMENTALLY stupid or a MONUMENTAL coward liar?

by Anonymousreply 114February 22, 2020 12:49 PM

[quote][R107], are you implying that Jamie Lee is not well-liked in Hollywood?

Jamie is very well-liked, but Halloween is not an Oscar bait vehicle. The Invisible Man has #MeToo undertones, so it will help Moss's Oscar chances.

by Anonymousreply 115February 22, 2020 4:32 PM

The reality is, no one will remember this movie in the fall.

by Anonymousreply 116February 22, 2020 7:32 PM

I don't know, R116. Upgrade, the director's last (and very good) outing, was released in 2018 and people are still talking about it. Leigh Whannell has a long and respectable horror pedigree and if the good word of mouth keeps up it may make a lot of money, especially given how little money it was made for. There's almost no question it's getting multiple sequels if it makes anywhere near the opening box office they're predicting.

by Anonymousreply 117February 22, 2020 7:35 PM

r109, that was Blum pushing for JLC for an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 118February 22, 2020 7:39 PM

No one will remember this movie vis-à-vis award consideration

by Anonymousreply 119February 22, 2020 7:52 PM

If they get OJC to get naked on camera for this film maybe it'll win an Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 120February 22, 2020 8:22 PM

Oliver Jackson-Cohen is the central character of the new season of Netflix's The Haunting of Bly Manor. It's supposed to be off-the-charts and surpasses the first season.

It will be loosely based on The Turn of the Screw, an 1898 horror novella by Henry James. However, it will also draw from all of James’s ghost stories.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 121February 23, 2020 4:08 PM

I do kind of fear for Oliver's mental well being. He already has a lot of trauma and issues, and playing a slew of abusers and pedophiles and drug addicts and etc etc can't be helping that.

by Anonymousreply 122February 23, 2020 5:26 PM

R122, But guys with issues are the best sex. I bet Oliver is wild in bed.

by Anonymousreply 123February 23, 2020 9:34 PM

The central character of "The Turn of the Screw" is the new governess taking charge of the children. Unless they've anachronistically switched her to a manny for this version, Jackson-Cohen will be playing the fifth or sixth most prominent character in the story.

by Anonymousreply 124February 23, 2020 10:59 PM

Oliver and Victoria are the leads of the new season. He plays the main villain this season, Peter Quint, and she plays the governess who is the central protagonist. We don't know if the character is a pedophile in the show, only that he's "very dark," and that the book heavily implied that he was. Netflix may not want to go there.

Not everyone deals with CSA and PTSD the same way and Oliver seems totally fine in interviews so I don't get where this regular pearl clutching about his mental health comes from.

Also, according to a few posts he's tagged in on instagram, it seems as though his father (designer Betty Jackson's husband David Cohen) died a couple of weeks ago, so that's a bummer.

by Anonymousreply 125February 24, 2020 2:15 AM

i could never stand this chick or anything she is featured in. and aren't duds released in February?

by Anonymousreply 126February 24, 2020 2:25 AM

Did their maid give them Oliver? He doesn't favor either parent.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 127February 24, 2020 2:37 AM

Needs to be the invisible woman. So we can't see her.

by Anonymousreply 128February 24, 2020 2:40 AM

Really R127? I think he has a lot of his father. If I recall correctly, his mother Betty Jackson, whose career I used to follow pretty closely, often bragged that she scheduled her C-section with Oliver dangerously early and that he was in the hospital for weeks as a baby as a result, just so she'd have plenty of time to work on her collection for London Fashion Week for the subsequent spring. She always did seem like a bit of a hardass.

by Anonymousreply 129February 24, 2020 3:08 AM

I don’t recall the original invisible Man beating up a woman.

by Anonymousreply 130February 24, 2020 9:54 PM

It's almost as though this isn't a carbon copy of the original.

by Anonymousreply 131February 24, 2020 10:39 PM

It looks like domestic abuse by a ghost.

by Anonymousreply 132February 25, 2020 1:42 AM

It's pretty much looking like Sleeping With the Enemy meets Hollow Man.

by Anonymousreply 133February 25, 2020 2:30 AM

With a bit of Gaslight thrown in for good measure.

by Anonymousreply 134February 25, 2020 3:43 AM

R133 minus Kevin's bacon.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 135February 25, 2020 6:15 AM

I think Elisabeth Moss gave such an award-winning performance in this Excedrin Migraine commercial.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 136February 25, 2020 7:06 AM

i recall the ad and disliking her even then. "they" can heal themselves and dont need meds

by Anonymousreply 137February 25, 2020 8:42 AM

R135, is that really Kevin Bacon’s dick or did special effects add that?

by Anonymousreply 138February 25, 2020 9:50 AM

R138 I'm pretty sure that's him. He's shown his dick before.

by Anonymousreply 139February 25, 2020 11:26 AM

It's at 88% on RottenTomatoes.com.

by Anonymousreply 140February 25, 2020 1:40 PM

Wow, OP called it.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 141February 25, 2020 4:11 PM

This time next year, it will be Oscar-winner Elisabeth Moss.

by Anonymousreply 142February 25, 2020 4:29 PM

Could Moss be the first actress to win a Best Actress Oscar for a horror film?:

The Invisible Man owes its power to the uncommon talent and ingenuity of Moss. She’s dynamite, suggesting the emotional buffeting that Cecelia has endured and the strength of will it takes to fight back against forces she can’t control. Indelible on Mad Men, an Emmy winner for The Handmaid’s Tale, and superb in films as diverse as The Square and Her Smell, Moss is up to every challenge, delivering an electrifying performance as a woman pushed to the edge. Like Lupita Nyong’o (Us), Toni Collette (Hereditary), and Florence Pugh (Midsommar), the actor digs so deeply into the human condition that her raw-nerved portrayal bursts the bounds of the horror genre. She refuses to reduce Cecilia to clichés of either female hysteria or avenging angel.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 143February 25, 2020 4:45 PM

Isn't Jodie Foster the first to win Best Actress for a horror film (Silence of the Lambs)?

by Anonymousreply 144February 25, 2020 4:49 PM

Yes, r144, and that film was also released in February.

by Anonymousreply 145February 25, 2020 5:23 PM

SILence of the Lambs is not a horror movie.

by Anonymousreply 146February 25, 2020 7:05 PM

Tell that to the Academy; they define it as a horror film.

by Anonymousreply 147February 25, 2020 7:14 PM

Then how come at Blockbuster it is never in the horror section?

by Anonymousreply 148February 25, 2020 7:16 PM

Is it still in the horror section of Blockbuster now?

I'm thrilled to hear the praise this movie has been getting. I truly believe we're living in one of the great periods for horror films. Between Get Out, Midsommar, Hereditary, and many others, it almost feels like the 70's again when horror films were smart and could attract top tier actors who could really go for broke.

by Anonymousreply 149February 25, 2020 7:25 PM

‘Invisible Man’ Review: Universal’s Best Monster Movie In 20 Years

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 150February 25, 2020 7:44 PM

Wasn't Kathy Bates the first actress to win an Oscar for a horror film with Misery?

by Anonymousreply 151February 25, 2020 7:55 PM

Good call, r151.

It's fascinating to me that horror has become the one genre dominated by female leads.

by Anonymousreply 152February 25, 2020 8:38 PM

Saw it two nights ago. Good but not great. Lacks the atmospheric elements that made Universal monster films legendary. And despite knowing that Oliver Jackson Cohen was playing the Invisible Man I was still surprised that he is only in two scenes. This is a showcase for Moss.

by Anonymousreply 153February 25, 2020 9:01 PM

Two scenes... so embarrassing that his PR tried to spin this as his "first Hollywood lead role."

by Anonymousreply 154February 25, 2020 9:45 PM

[quote]‘Invisible Man’ Review: Universal’s Best Monster Movie In 20 Years

But this isn’t really a Monster movie. It’s Enough with invisibility thrown in. That’s like saying Twilight was the best Monster film because it had vampires.

by Anonymousreply 155February 25, 2020 11:15 PM

Who the hell would say Twilight is the best ANYTHING?

by Anonymousreply 156February 26, 2020 2:54 AM

The best cure for insomnia maybe.

by Anonymousreply 157February 26, 2020 3:01 AM

Universal best horror movie in 20 years. So we're comparing it to Tom Cruise's horrible The Mummy, Del Toro's shitty Wolfman and Francis Ford Coppola brilliantly acted Dracula. That's not saying much. I can't take creepy ugly scientologists, even in a horror movie. I'll pass.

by Anonymousreply 158February 26, 2020 3:13 AM

Coppola's Dracula was 28 years ago. It's being compared to that Dracula Untold trainwreck Luke Evans was in.

I thought the Wolfman remake was decent, though it didn't even make back its production budget.

by Anonymousreply 159February 26, 2020 7:25 AM

I wonder if they're ever going to do the Bride of Frankenstein with Angelina Jolie. It was planned a few years ago.

by Anonymousreply 160February 26, 2020 7:28 AM

To those who've already seen it, did we ever get the Oliver nudity we so desperately wish for?

by Anonymousreply 161February 26, 2020 7:38 AM

What happened to the Russell Crowe Dr. Jekyll and Mister Hyde? His character was in the new Mummy and did the transformation. He was going to be the Iron Man in the UDU (Universal Dark Universe).

by Anonymousreply 162February 26, 2020 7:48 AM

R156 TwiMoms

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 163February 26, 2020 8:59 AM

The failure of the ridiculous Tom Cruise's Mummy killed everything. Originally there was going to be in a Invisible man with Johnny Depp. Bride with Angelina Jolie. And a new Frankenstein.

by Anonymousreply 164February 26, 2020 12:28 PM

Why would you hire OJC for a movie and only use him in two scenes? Won't be wasting my money on this one.

by Anonymousreply 165February 26, 2020 1:31 PM

Next time some DL queen starts gushing about how ultra butch and masculine OJC is, I'm going to link to this interview where he successfully answers several Disney character trivia questions, says his favorite prank is wallpapering castmates' trailers with slutty selfies, and admits he can recite and sing all of Beauty and The Beast by heart.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 166February 26, 2020 8:08 PM

The Talk had a fun segment about the film today.

The question was "if you could be invisible, what would you use your power to do?"

If I could turn invisible, I'd sneak into presidential campaign staff meetings. Or sneak onto flights, and travel the world.

by Anonymousreply 167February 26, 2020 8:57 PM

Elisabeth Moss is such a mouth-breather. Her maw is open in every production still they've released of this even if she's just standing there. It's even hanging open on the poster! I hadn't realized her underbite was that bad.

by Anonymousreply 168February 26, 2020 9:31 PM

r167, knowing that I would have to be naked all the time limits the places I'd be willing to go to.

by Anonymousreply 169February 26, 2020 10:03 PM

Oliver Jackson Cohen is sweet but he seems like he's about to burst into flames every time I see him.

by Anonymousreply 170February 26, 2020 10:18 PM

R170 he seems very sweet and funny but as you and other people have mentioned, he looks so butch but then he opens his mouth or opens Instagram and a jetstream of purses fall out.

by Anonymousreply 171February 26, 2020 11:01 PM

Moss is the frontrunner for the Oscar:

Elisabeth Moss is an acting event all by herself, a modern version of Bette Davis, and “The Invisible Man” gives her a chance to embody all kinds of emotional extremes — terror, dread, madness, inconsolable grief and murderous rage.

From the first moments, director Leigh Whannell demonstrates two important virtues:

1. He knows how to create tension.

2. He knows who he’s working with. That is, he knows that he is working with a powerhouse, and so he puts the camera on Moss and lets her go through every possible kind of hell for two full hours. What fun.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 172February 27, 2020 12:03 AM

Clams are so weird. Moss obviously has talent. Why align yourself with a cult? I just don't get it. I am from LA. We all think clams are idiots.

by Anonymousreply 173February 27, 2020 12:22 AM

[quote]Why would you hire OJC for a movie and only use him in two scenes?

Perhaps the extent of his character's visible scenes were trimmed once the filmmakers were able to observe him acting?

by Anonymousreply 174February 27, 2020 12:29 AM

[quote]Why would you hire OJC for a movie and only use him in two scenes?

Perhaps the extent of his character's visible scenes were trimmed once the filmmakers were able to observe him acting?

by Anonymousreply 175February 27, 2020 12:29 AM

OJC is a pretty good actor though. He's getting good reviews with the little screen time he does have.

R173 Moss was raised in Scientology. It's almost impossible to get out if you've been raised in it, especially if your family has some status in the cult as hers do. Just ask Jason Dohring. It's a shame because she seems likable and normal in interviews, if it weren't for the murder cult thing.

by Anonymousreply 176February 27, 2020 12:41 AM

I thought OJC was good in Man in an Orange Shirt

by Anonymousreply 177February 27, 2020 12:46 AM

Yep....block the OP and several other posts disappear that slobber all over this movie. It’s spam, and OP is keeping it going with new posts every day to keep it toward the top of the thread list. Are they associated with the movie? Are they being paid to do this? It’s obvious and it sucks to see on this site.

by Anonymousreply 178February 27, 2020 12:51 AM

R178 I feel like it's a reverse spam troll, the kind of poster that deliberately overpraises something no one really gives a shit about to piss people off and make them hate the thing for unnecessary overexposure. I say this as someone planning to see the movie eventually, it seems really obvious that someone's posting stuff like this to be annoying.

by Anonymousreply 179February 27, 2020 12:53 AM

[quote] Next time some DL queen starts gushing about how ultra butch and masculine OJC is...

He's pretty honest about this in other recent interviews

[quote] Interviewer: There’s been a lot of speculation which actor will be cast to take on James Bond in that franchise. Do you have any desire to play the iconic spy?

[quote] Jackson-Cohen: I’m too emotional. Would you have Bond cry the whole time?

[quote] Interviewer: This is 2020.

[quote] Jackson-Cohen: (laughing) Yeah, we can have a woke Bond.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 180February 27, 2020 1:07 AM

OP is a Scientologist. End Thread.

by Anonymousreply 181February 27, 2020 1:20 AM

R181, Why do you hate Elisabeth Moss so much? At least she doesn't preach about her religion like Tom Cruise does. She seems delightful from every interview I've seen of her.

Just enjoy the movie.

by Anonymousreply 182February 27, 2020 1:58 AM

No thanks, Danny Masterson.

by Anonymousreply 183February 27, 2020 2:15 AM

No amount of niceness cancels out the Scientology.

by Anonymousreply 184February 27, 2020 3:16 AM

THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS "EARLY OSCAR FAVORITE" THIS TIME OF YEAR YOU FUCKIN' BOZO!!! THIS IS SUCH BULLSHIT PR!!! GO FUCK YOURSELF!!! SOME STOOPID PR ASSISTANT IS TRYING TO GENERATE BUZZ FOR SOME SHITTY MOVIE AND THOUGHT DL WAS PLACE TO PROMOTE SOME GARBAGE MOVIE. FUCK OFF, FAGGOT!!! WE'RE ONTO YOU!!!!

by Anonymousreply 185February 27, 2020 4:15 AM

Invisible Man- 90% rating on Rottentomatoes.com

by Anonymousreply 186February 27, 2020 4:54 AM

(R185) Thank you!!!!

by Anonymousreply 187February 27, 2020 6:24 AM

"FUCK OFF, FAGGOT" gets 2 likes and a "Thank You!!!!"?

Whoa. If there's any fucking off to do here, it's not by the OP.

by Anonymousreply 188February 27, 2020 10:52 AM

I love OJC but his honesty is going to cost him future roles. People hate masculine looking men who visibly pass as straight yet have flaming gay personalities. If he doesn't tune it down he's going to have a difficult time in Hollywood. It'll only get worse if he comes out.

by Anonymousreply 189February 27, 2020 2:52 PM

I must admit that I was not expecting this film to be good but it's had some great reviews...91% on Rotten Tomatoes at the moment. I wasn't planning on seeing it but I might do now.

by Anonymousreply 190February 27, 2020 3:36 PM

Oliver looked so cute at the premiere.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 191February 27, 2020 4:52 PM

R189 I think you hit the nail on the head about why he's BEEN having a hard time in Hollywood - he's been trying to make it there for ten years now. In an Invisible Man interview he says he actually took a break from acting before Man In An Orange Shirt because he kept getting offered boring romantic love interest type roles and he's not interested in that. Hmm wonder why.

In other news, here's Oliver saying he really wanted to do Man in An Orange Shirt because he felt such an "immediate connection" to the script and that it really "spoke to him."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 192February 27, 2020 5:00 PM

Oliver's career is about to take off in a big way. The Invisible Man is getting terrific reviews and The Haunting of Bly Manor is said to be even more brilliant that the first season. They need to push him for an Emmy nomination for Bly Manor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 193February 27, 2020 5:13 PM

In the comments of his recent Instagram post, a friend called Oliver "she" and "Mrs America" and he corrected her with "it's MISS America. I'm only 19. X" Oh my.

by Anonymousreply 194February 27, 2020 8:05 PM

R194 Jesus Christ.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 195February 27, 2020 8:21 PM

[quote]They need to push him for an Emmy nomination for Bly Manor.

Emmy for Bly Manor, Oscar for Invisible Man, Golden Globe for Man in Orange Shirt, he could EGOT soon.

by Anonymousreply 196February 27, 2020 10:03 PM

Netflix did push him for an Emmy for Hill House, but for fuck's sake, we don't even really know when Bly Manor will come out or what anything about it looks like. That reverse psychology troll is doing the most in this thread right now.

by Anonymousreply 197February 27, 2020 10:20 PM

Oliver acted circles around Dinklage (who won Supporting Actor for the year OJC would've been nominated) and would have won had he been nominated. It's a shame he wasn't. I look forward to seeing his work in Hill House.

Fun Fact: The man who played Steven Crane, Michael Huisman, also played Daario Naharis in Game Of Thrones alongside Dinklage!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 198February 27, 2020 10:41 PM

Sorry, I meant I look forward to seeing his work in Bly Manor!

by Anonymousreply 199February 27, 2020 10:42 PM

The reviews for this movie are just as good as what Parasite got and it just won the Oscar.

"There has been a lot of talk about women in horror and how their performances are often overlooked come award season. I think Moss’s performance in Invisible Man is so terrific that, depending on how the rest of the year pans out, she could and should be a part of the conversation."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 200February 28, 2020 2:46 AM

I'm willing to entertain the possibility that OJC has become a better actor than when I last saw him in the Dracula TV series (in which he was a block of wood, and not the fun kind), but an Emmy ain't in the cards unless the coronavirus takes out every Hollywood actor more talented than the former underwear models CW shows seem to perennially cast as their leads.

by Anonymousreply 201February 28, 2020 3:30 AM

I watch the previews and all I see is the overly visible hysterical woman.

by Anonymousreply 202February 28, 2020 3:44 AM

OJC is low key trashing Dracula in this press tour, ironically, when people are pointing out that this is his second venture with the classic Universal monsters.

The problem with his character in Dracula is that he was written with a two-season arc in mind, and he was supposed to start out as a stiff shirt journalist lovestruck with Mina, and slowly evolve into one of Dracula's top nemeses and a vengeful vampire fighter extraordinaire in the second season. We only got the first half of that arc because it sucked too much to get a second season, so we never got to see him do anything more with the character. Nevertheless, he was the best part of Haunting of Hill House and gave quite a gutting authentic performance of a damaged adult dealing with extreme childhood trauma, so yes, I think he's improved since then.

by Anonymousreply 203February 28, 2020 4:04 AM

Moss is posting screencaps of critical raves about her performance with pink sparkles and emojis in her Instagram stories.

by Anonymousreply 204February 28, 2020 4:16 AM

She is posting Oscar emojis and the praise hands 🙌🏻👏🏻

by Anonymousreply 205February 28, 2020 4:26 AM

She really needs to get over herself. What is she 15?

by Anonymousreply 206February 28, 2020 4:44 AM

I've been following her for and the rest of the Handmaids Tale cast for a while and she does this for virtually every review she gets for everything.

by Anonymousreply 207February 28, 2020 6:08 AM

R207

Seriously? Wow.

by Anonymousreply 208February 28, 2020 7:11 AM

Does OJC have a shot at a Best Supporting Actor nomination for this movie?

by Anonymousreply 209February 28, 2020 3:23 PM

The set up and execution was excellent. Story wise there are a lot of problems, especially in the last act.

by Anonymousreply 210February 28, 2020 3:25 PM

Oh, no. An actor is happy to get great reviews. They must be a monster. Hell, this is good publicity for her. Sure, she's a crazy Scientologist, but I do think she's a great actress, so more power to her.

by Anonymousreply 211February 28, 2020 4:40 PM

She seems fun and cute in her IG stories and funny in interviews, and she is very talented, so it's a real shame about the involvement in the homophobic mindcontrolling alien worshipping cult that kills its dissidents.

by Anonymousreply 212February 28, 2020 5:25 PM

Her choice of projects, including this latest one where she is subject mind control, is ironic given her religion.

by Anonymousreply 213February 28, 2020 7:14 PM

So, those of you who have seen it...do we get to see OJC naked?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 214February 28, 2020 7:20 PM

R214 Nope, not even shirtless.

Minor Spoiler

The suit is invisible, not the person.

by Anonymousreply 215February 28, 2020 7:23 PM

Oh, well, fuck. That's disappointing.

by Anonymousreply 216February 28, 2020 7:42 PM

At least one would still be able to tell if the invisible man is well hung, you’d need to do it a Helen Keller style, but that’s the good thing about him always having to be naked when invisible.

by Anonymousreply 217February 28, 2020 7:46 PM

I'll go see it to support OJC, but it isn't going to end up my favorite movie of the year. Luckily my brother-in-law gave us those AMC Stubbs things so I won't have to pay for it.

by Anonymousreply 218February 28, 2020 7:51 PM

It's better than all of Hitchcock's movies that he directed after The Birds.

by Anonymousreply 219February 28, 2020 8:07 PM

r219, I quite like Frenzy.

by Anonymousreply 220February 28, 2020 8:22 PM

Elizabeth Moss is a Scientologist so I'm not going to see this.

by Anonymousreply 221February 28, 2020 8:44 PM

Saw it tonight. It was okay, very predictable for the most part but still fun, and agree about it falling apart in the third act somewhat. And nobody's talking about this, but Aldis Hodge is really likable in it.

by Anonymousreply 222February 29, 2020 2:29 AM

Aldis Hodge's ass is a thing of beauty.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 223February 29, 2020 4:00 AM

R223 I thought it took place in contemporary times, that looks like a slave era drama?

by Anonymousreply 224February 29, 2020 4:09 AM

Spoiler alert: it's set in the present day

by Anonymousreply 225February 29, 2020 5:25 AM

Aldis' muscles just do their own acting in this movie. Ass makes a special guest star appearance. Moss does a better hysterical woman than Toni Collette and Florence Pugh in Hereditary and Midsommar. Hmmm...seems like modern day horror movies feature super hysterical women now (looking at Us too).

Entertaining popcorn movie.

by Anonymousreply 226February 29, 2020 6:07 AM

I actually wouldn't call her performance hysterical. It is a good and not too heavy handed allegory for what it's like to live long term with a narcissist and how they can make you seem and feel like the crazy one. She seemed hysterical to everyone else, but everything she did was perfectly reasonable if you knew the truth. I actually really liked the supporting cast in this a lot. I liked the friendship between Aldis Hodge and Elisabeth Moss - it felt realistic and it was nice that he wasn't turned into a love interest. Storm Reid did a nice job too. Here's another interview of Oliver being cute and incredibly flaming while he talks about how emotional he is and his deep love of fashion.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 227February 29, 2020 7:49 AM

[quote]Hmmm...seems like modern day horror movies feature super hysterical women now (looking at Us too).

I don’t remember a hysterical woman in Us. Who are you talking about? Moss?

by Anonymousreply 228February 29, 2020 10:25 AM

[quote]incredibly flaming

Some people's definition of flaming is really interesting around here.

by Anonymousreply 229February 29, 2020 12:49 PM

R228

I loved her in US. What a great performance in tiny, thankless role. There was a moment she she screams, and then starts laughing, and it was the best moment in pretty overrated movie.

by Anonymousreply 230February 29, 2020 1:27 PM

[quote] Some people's definition of flaming is really interesting around here.

Yeah, I'm not actually seeing it. I'm seeing an actor trying to have a big personality and trying to be interesting for an interview. Plus English.

by Anonymousreply 231February 29, 2020 2:40 PM

Elizabeth wasn't really hysterical in Us, she didn't have the chance to before (spoiler alert) she got stabbed in the neck with scissors.

And Lupita DEFINITELY wasn't hysterical, as her being calm and collected and strategic was one of her biggest character traits. So, I'm not sure what R226 is talking about.

by Anonymousreply 232February 29, 2020 2:49 PM

DL’s Old white gay men, SMH. Aldis Hodge is the clear hottest dude in this movie. His physique is Distractingly hot, almost takes the audience out of the movie. One scene in the house when he is in bootyhugging. slacks looked like he was butt naked his ass is so stacked and developed. People in my theater were thirstily moaning and ooohing at him onscreen.

by Anonymousreply 233February 29, 2020 3:36 PM

[quote]People in my theater were thirstily moaning and ooohing at him onscreen.

I seriously doubt that. But in your mind, sure.

by Anonymousreply 234February 29, 2020 10:48 PM

I'm shocked by the good reviews this movie is getting, it's not really all that great. It's a plot-driven melodrama with no character development, heavy on the virtue-signaling, and, with the exception of the restaurant scene, devoid of thrills or surprises.

by Anonymousreply 235February 29, 2020 10:59 PM

R234, you need to get out your racist White world

by Anonymousreply 236February 29, 2020 11:10 PM

It’s very good

by Anonymousreply 237February 29, 2020 11:10 PM

R235 I audibly gasped during the restaurant scene. That was really well done.

by Anonymousreply 238February 29, 2020 11:25 PM

The entire theater gasped. One of the most shocking scenes in years

by Anonymousreply 239February 29, 2020 11:53 PM

Aldis’ ass in pants in this movie deserves an award of its own

by Anonymousreply 240February 29, 2020 11:55 PM

The restaurant scene is, admittedly, bound to become a classic cinema moment. Just wish the rest of the movie surrounding it was better.

by Anonymousreply 241February 29, 2020 11:58 PM

I loved this movie! I thought it was much better than US and Halloween 2018. I like Leigh Whannell's directing style more than Jordan Peele's.

The Invisible Man > Get Out > Halloween > Us

by Anonymousreply 242March 1, 2020 12:07 AM

Since I probably won't see this, can someone explain... when she realizes that an invisible man is stalking her, when she is alone, why doesn't she throw flour / powder around the car/room, or spray paint or something? And then lock it?

by Anonymousreply 243March 1, 2020 12:23 AM

I'm not going to see it. Someone spoil the restaurant scene.

by Anonymousreply 244March 1, 2020 12:31 AM

R244 I haven't seen it either but here is a page with spoilers at the link

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 245March 1, 2020 12:50 AM

R243, she does that at one point with coffee grounds.

by Anonymousreply 246March 1, 2020 12:54 AM

r243. She does. With a variety of liquids and powders.

by Anonymousreply 247March 1, 2020 12:58 AM

It was enjoyable but flawed. Moss i a really good, committed actress but I can't fucking stand the cult she's in and it's hard to get past it. I had to ask the fucking adults next to me to stop texting and they were pissed like they were 12 and they flipped me off as they left the theater. They were in their 50's!!! People suck.

by Anonymousreply 248March 1, 2020 1:04 AM

What, there is an invisibility suit? This may as well be Harry Potter with his cloak. A suit removes the whole psychosexual tension of the person having to be naked to be invisible and also the struggle to find some antidote to restore them. Those are major elements of the story to eliminate. Was this movie part of the whole Universal Monster reboot that they talked about at one point and then seemed to collapse? Why even call this the invisible man if they are veering that far off from the source material, just make it a high tech thriller, which is what it is.

by Anonymousreply 249March 1, 2020 1:39 AM

One of my very favorite horror movies of this century

by Anonymousreply 250March 1, 2020 2:24 AM

It’s receiving stellar critical and audience acclaim. This year’s ‘Get Out.’

by Anonymousreply 251March 1, 2020 2:27 AM

[quote]Was this movie part of the whole Universal Monster reboot that they talked about at one point and then seemed to collapse?

The new plan for Universal's Dark Universe is to just let filmmakers have it at - no shared universe. So this is the kickoff of their new Dark Universe plans with Dexter Fletcher (director of Rocketman) doing Renfield about Dracula's lackey, Elizabeth Banks doing THE INVISIBLE WOMAN, and James Wan (director of Aquaman) tackling Frankenstein.

by Anonymousreply 252March 1, 2020 2:38 AM

Looks like Whannell is the new Jordan Peele:

Leigh Whannell, Director For ‘The Invisible Man’, Signs Blumhouse Deal For Film And Television

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 253March 1, 2020 2:55 AM

Nice box office too

by Anonymousreply 254March 1, 2020 2:56 AM

This movie was fucking terrible. AVOID!

by Anonymousreply 255March 1, 2020 3:03 AM

[quote] Elizabeth Banks doing THE INVISIBLE WOMAN

This movie sets it up for a sequel, which I'm guessing is Banks' film.

by Anonymousreply 256March 1, 2020 3:48 AM

They're unrelated R256. But there are going to be a lot more of these in the future given the nearly $30m domestic box office this cheap little film is bringing in this weekend.

by Anonymousreply 257March 1, 2020 7:52 AM

R256 Is she starring in it or directing? If starring, great we don’t have to see much of her, she’s better in small doses like then Hunger Games, if she’s directing is it going to be an A cappella comedy?

by Anonymousreply 258March 1, 2020 12:15 PM

R258 you didn't enjoy Pitch Perfect? 😄

by Anonymousreply 259March 1, 2020 12:22 PM

So glad to see all the critical and box office success of this movie. I love this flick!

by Anonymousreply 260March 1, 2020 1:26 PM

Unrelenting, almost unbearable tendon from the opening credits to its booth control. Elisabeth Moss is a powerhouse

by Anonymousreply 261March 1, 2020 6:24 PM

Almost unbearable tension *

by Anonymousreply 262March 1, 2020 6:24 PM

Unrelenting, almost unbearable Tension from the opening credits to its fever pitch conclusion. Elisabeth Moss is a powerhouse.

by Anonymousreply 263March 1, 2020 6:25 PM

I liked that Aldis Hodge was just a friend and they didn't try to force him into a love interest or worse yet into some kind of twisted love triangle between him, Cecilia and Adrian. You don't see a lot of totally platonic male/ female friendships in films but it felt very believable.

by Anonymousreply 264March 1, 2020 10:51 PM

The only thing that could've made the movie better was a steamy flip-fuck scene between Aldis and Oliver. It could have served as the intermission.

by Anonymousreply 265March 1, 2020 10:55 PM

Do you think this will get a Best Picture nomination?

by Anonymousreply 266March 1, 2020 11:05 PM

Gods, I hope not r266. It'll just cement Blumhouse's way of making films and treating the crews like shit.

by Anonymousreply 267March 1, 2020 11:11 PM

Aldis is so stacked he looked pornographic in a dress shirt, tie, and dress pants. His body is unreal

by Anonymousreply 268March 2, 2020 12:08 AM

Invisible Man is so good,?and I loved it, but every time Aldis Hodge was on screen I got distracted by how big and buff he is.

by Anonymousreply 269March 2, 2020 12:10 AM

On a more superficial note about THE INVISIBLE MAN: shoutout to costume designer Emily Seresin for knowing exactly what to do with Aldis Hodge, who ain't invisible at all.

by Anonymousreply 270March 2, 2020 12:11 AM

This movie is not getting any Oscar nominations.

by Anonymousreply 271March 2, 2020 12:43 AM

R271, Elisabeth Moss is a shoo-in for a nomination. Just wait and see. She's getting better reviews than JLo got for Hustlers.

by Anonymousreply 272March 2, 2020 1:10 AM

Sure, Jan.

by Anonymousreply 273March 2, 2020 2:00 AM

This movie won't be getting nominated for any awards, primarily because it's a horror film. You can't compare it to Parasite because while Parasite is an amazing film with brilliant artistic merit on its own it was also chosen by the academy for a very simple reason: it's a foreign film with an all POC cast. This was their way of combating the "#OscarsSoWhite" bullshit (which hilariously didn't work).

This movie's two leads are not POC and it does not center around POC social issues, therefore it won't be getting nominated for any awards. Sorry.

by Anonymousreply 274March 2, 2020 2:05 AM

It's good but I wasn't blown away. Oscar?? 😂😂😂

by Anonymousreply 275March 2, 2020 2:23 AM

Applause in my theater

by Anonymousreply 276March 2, 2020 2:29 AM

People applauded and cheered in my theater throughout the film and at the end, too.

This MIGHT get some Oscar love if only as a response to all of the "Oscars hate horror as a rule" backlash they've gotten for the last few years. I must say the director did a lot with very little, that's for sure. Those wide shots with all of the visible action taking place to the side, really went a long way toward making the viewer scour the empty space to see if anything was there and gave the impression that something else might be occupying it.

by Anonymousreply 277March 2, 2020 2:38 AM

I hope one day Oliver releases a picture of him full on wearing the green screen bodysuit he had to wear. I want to see it clinging to him.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 278March 2, 2020 2:55 AM

I think the musical score will get an Oscar nomination. It's especially outstanding for a horror film.

They really fucked up not casting Oliver Jackson-Cohen as the next James Bond. He would be perfect. And after Invisible Man and The Haunting of Bly Manor, he's going to be one of the hottest actors in Hollywood.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 279March 2, 2020 3:12 AM

The one unbelievable plot point was how the Oliver character -- hot, rich, and handsome -- would choose a dump like Moss as his girlfriend. He could easily find some hot, blonde chick.

by Anonymousreply 280March 2, 2020 3:15 AM

The one unbelievable plot point was how the Oliver character -- hot, rich, and handsome -- would choose a dump like Moss as his girlfriend. He could easily find some hot, blonde chick.

by Anonymousreply 281March 2, 2020 3:16 AM

I thought the same thing when I was watching the movie. Why would he get some plain ugly woman? Even with all the stylists, makeup, camera angles she's still not that good looking. Is her cult helping her get roles?

by Anonymousreply 282March 2, 2020 3:48 AM

I actually don't think it's unbelievable that a hot, powerful narcissist would target a plain Jane like Moss at all. If anything it fits with their fear of abandonment, desire to control, and the "love bombing" they do to really pour on the flattery and compliments and make you think all your dreams are coming true at first. A beautiful, successful, confident woman would be a harder target, though some narcissists and sociopaths take special pleasure in tearing down those types. But they usually go for easy targets who often look like Moss.

What's not believable is that several people remarked on how hot she was in the movie, including the interviewer at the architectural firm. Meanwhile we're treated to closeups of her under eye bags and blotches and acne in the next scene. The movie should have embraced that she was average looking because it actually does add to the story.

by Anonymousreply 283March 2, 2020 4:19 AM

Another Scientologist just joined us.

by Anonymousreply 284March 2, 2020 4:33 AM

Is she pregnant? She looks heavier these days.

by Anonymousreply 285March 2, 2020 4:36 AM

I think she is pregnant. I wonder who's the father. It's strange she's so secretive about her personal life. I read she never really recovered after her divorce with Armisen. Btw, another example that looks are not that important. He's not a good looking man, but he had affairs with insane amount of beautiful women, famous and not.

by Anonymousreply 286March 2, 2020 4:50 AM

If you believe the gossip she's a lesbian. She can't come out because of the church. That's reason Fred divorced her she wouldn't have sex.

by Anonymousreply 287March 2, 2020 4:56 AM

R287

Nah, i don't believe it. She's too mad at him. It wasn't bearding arrangement, there were real strong feelings, at least on her side. Why would you trash your fake husband?

by Anonymousreply 288March 2, 2020 5:01 AM

I don't think she's pregnant. You can hide a pregnancy with spanx, but you wouldn't wear form fitting outfits in public constantly if you were trying to hide a pregnancy. She's wearing spanx in this one, you can see it through the dress in other photos, but I think she's just pudgy.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 289March 2, 2020 5:33 AM

She's trying too hard to be sexy. I'm a dyke and I'd have to be damn drunk for that fat thing.

by Anonymousreply 290March 2, 2020 5:52 AM

I can't post links here, but there are some pics when she looks much bigger.

by Anonymousreply 291March 2, 2020 6:23 AM

It's a good film, but I'd be genuinely surprised if it got Academy Love. Hereditary and Midsommar stood a better shot in my opinion.

by Anonymousreply 292March 2, 2020 6:43 AM

#Oscarssovisible

by Anonymousreply 293March 2, 2020 6:51 AM

She looked pudgy on Kimmel the other night.

by Anonymousreply 294March 2, 2020 9:02 AM

Moss is jaw dropping excellent here. Aldis Hodge is superb too. He should be given more to do in his roles. He’s a good actor.

by Anonymousreply 295March 2, 2020 11:00 AM

I'm not a fan of Moss personally. She always has a permanent scowl, aka "bitchy resting face".

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 296March 2, 2020 11:35 AM

I love her. I’m not a misogynist

by Anonymousreply 297March 2, 2020 11:49 AM

R298

So if you don't like Elisabeth Moss, you're misogynist?

by Anonymousreply 298March 2, 2020 12:38 PM

New York Times:

I’m a Grown Man, and ‘The Invisible Man’ Made Me Scream

A disorienting scene midway through the film shocked even a seasoned horror fan.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 299March 2, 2020 3:41 PM

Indiewire is probably the only huge site that was negative about the movie.

by Anonymousreply 300March 2, 2020 4:29 PM

I was on edge the entire time. The concept itself is supremely unsettling. How can you escape a diabolical menace that is invisible and out to get you? The director maximizes the effect of no escape with so many shots where you imagine the IM is lurking any and everywhere. They also maximize the angst of being stalked by an assailant while no one believes you. She is truly alone in fighting him. It was sheer terror

by Anonymousreply 301March 2, 2020 4:30 PM

The highly effective score made the fear even more intense. At times, it was too loud and overdone, but boy did it pour on the fear.

by Anonymousreply 302March 2, 2020 4:32 PM

"The Invisible Man" carried a relatively modest budget, costing under $10 million to produce, and exceeded expectations by a few million dollars. The film, which had been well-received by critics, drew diverse audiences to the theatres (46% Caucasian, 20% African American and 18% Hispanic), according to exit polls.

"We couldn't be more pleased," said Jim Orr, Universal's president of domestic distribution. "(Whannell) brought this century-old character to life in a very clever and relevant way."

The studio expects it to continue to play well into March, although it will have some extra competition when "A Quiet Place Part II" opens on March 20.

by Anonymousreply 303March 2, 2020 4:42 PM

I had a blast. Always watch horror movies with black folks. Huge applause by audience at the end.

by Anonymousreply 304March 2, 2020 4:43 PM

I saw it last Friday. It was pretty good. Oscar contender is a stretch though. The opening scene was amazing in terms of tension.

My biggest critique is that the guy who plays the husband is not menacing at all, nor is he a good actor. It was a good thing he was only in the movie for about 5 minutes total. He also pinged to me. I found the brother to be scarier than him.

by Anonymousreply 305March 2, 2020 4:49 PM

Oh yeah! And the restaurant scene was AMAZING. I was not expecting that at all.

by Anonymousreply 306March 2, 2020 4:50 PM

The restaurant scene is one of the most shocking things I’ve ever seen in a movie, even surpassing the shocking Mist ending

by Anonymousreply 307March 2, 2020 5:00 PM

R304 I'm the opposite, black people's constant commentary tends to ruin horror movies for me. I learned my lesson with 'Us' and from now on will only go see Jordan Peele movies on sunday mornings.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 308March 2, 2020 5:18 PM

It depends on the movie and what you’re trying to get out of it. Usually, I’m not very contemplative during horror movies and enjoy the levity injects by moviegoers

by Anonymousreply 309March 2, 2020 5:43 PM

The score made me think of Vertigo

by Anonymousreply 310March 2, 2020 5:53 PM

r310, definitely some Vertigo vibes going on in the film: the score, the San Francisco setting, the identity switch.

by Anonymousreply 311March 2, 2020 6:32 PM

Let's be serious. This is an horror film and Oscars tend to ignore horror films, add the fact that it was released almost a year before the next Oscars and well, no matter how good it is the odds are in favour this film will be totally ignored by the Oscars

by Anonymousreply 312March 2, 2020 6:37 PM

It would have to be a VERY weak year (which is always possible) for this to get a nod.

by Anonymousreply 313March 2, 2020 6:53 PM

[quote]I had a blast. Always watch horror movies with black folks. Huge applause by audience at the end.

r3 = Brenda Meeks from Scary Movie

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 314March 2, 2020 7:11 PM

I like to see starchy white peoples’ reactions when Latin and black folks talk out loud at the movies

by Anonymousreply 315March 2, 2020 7:13 PM

The biggest hit no one saw coming....

by Anonymousreply 316March 2, 2020 7:24 PM

I thought this movie was better than A Quiet Place. I never got all the hype surrounding that movie. It was good, but The Invisible Man is better.

by Anonymousreply 317March 2, 2020 8:23 PM

It got the "Blumhouse" treatment. It's full on frau-fodder. Middle aged white woman who marries an extremely rich extremely handsome man and is set to inherit millions of dollars upon his death, and has to prove to the world she's not crazy in order to get it.

by Anonymousreply 318March 2, 2020 8:40 PM

I wanted Aldis to stuff someone

by Anonymousreply 319March 2, 2020 8:46 PM

Surprise!

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 320March 2, 2020 8:47 PM

Aldis comes across as being really likable and has a lot of personality in that interview.

I think to Moss's credit she doesn't need to look like a beauty queen in all of her roles. That is, she is perfectly fine with the closeups on her blotchy acne ridden face as she ugly cries into the camera. I do think that takes some guts, especially as a woman in Hollywood, where everyone trades on their picture perfect looks. I also agree she's way too salty about Armisen still years later for it to have been fake. Maybe she'll pull a Leah Remini, but I've heard her current beau is in the Xenu Cult too, so it looks like she's in it for the long haul, especially if she's popping out a kid.

by Anonymousreply 321March 3, 2020 3:24 AM

R321

Who is her new boyfriend? I saw pictures on fan IG, but don't know if it's friend or partner. He looked like jock version of Fred Armisen, to be honest.

by Anonymousreply 322March 3, 2020 5:19 AM

7.5/10. The tension was seamlessly integrated into the most mundane scenes. Dialogue was lacking. I couldn't get past how the film placed such importance on cameras, yet ignored their existence when it was inconvenient (as evidence in the restaurant scene, and throughout the entire psych ward scene). I loved it, though. And that giant modern monstrosity of a house--chilling.

by Anonymousreply 323March 3, 2020 5:46 AM

R323 I disagree about the restaurant scene. That shot of everyone carrying about having a great time and eating while it slowly panned to her sitting in the middle staring ahead and looking like a mess and no one, including their waiter, noticing anything was wrong was really well done. The house is apparently a real house and you're right, it's horrifically hideous. Looks like a real prison.

by Anonymousreply 324March 3, 2020 7:35 AM

I saw it last night. It is an excellent throwback to the great “woman in peril/no one believes her” movies of the 60s/70s, in particular Rosemary’s Baby and The Exorcist, both of which the film makes purposeful allusions to. The film may not be a knockdown classic like those, but Elisabeth Moss proves she is a star, maybe this generation’s Jodie Foster. OJC was excellent in his brief scene and I thought it was appropriate that they kept him mostly hidden until the end. The film is a victim of a few clichés I could have done without like the platonic black cop protector, or the tired “woman guesses the password right away because it’s their anniversary” scene. Ultimately I thought it was a fun ride even if it falls short of some of the better recent slow burn horror like Hereditary.

by Anonymousreply 325March 3, 2020 10:27 AM

Hereditary was good until that damn, "Please please please" scene and the ending.

by Anonymousreply 326March 3, 2020 3:54 PM

Was anyone else hoping that when she took the pen from the hiding place in the shower, that she was going to attempt to giver herself an abortion, instead of trying to slit her wrists?

by Anonymousreply 327March 3, 2020 4:01 PM

It's weird how Aldis is doing all of the TV interviews this week with Moss instead of OJC. What's that all about? They were both on WWHL together last night. Maybe they're trying to attract black moviegoers by having him do the interviews.

by Anonymousreply 328March 3, 2020 4:03 PM

He's third billed and they're both in the US whereas OJC lives in London and this is the second leg of the press tour, it's totally reasonable for Aldis to do some press with the star of the film now.

by Anonymousreply 329March 3, 2020 4:56 PM

Did anyone else catch Moss on Andy Cohen? A caller asked her about the rumor from last year that Scientology had set her up with Tom Cruise. She was visibly taken aback and paused, but then she downplayed it all and said she and her friends had laughed about it. Awkward and oddly rehearsed sounding.

by Anonymousreply 330March 3, 2020 6:37 PM

I hope Benjamin Wallfisch wins the Oscar for score next year. His work on this movie is outstanding.

How ‘Invisible Man’ Composer Benjamin Wallfisch Wrote a Musical Love Letter to ‘Psycho’

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 331March 3, 2020 7:48 PM

R331 I definitely heard Vertigo a few times in the score. When she was running out of the house in the beginning for sure.

by Anonymousreply 332March 3, 2020 8:08 PM

I hear the movie has MAJOR plot holes. The critics have been soft on it, I doubt it'll be an Oscar contender.

by Anonymousreply 333March 3, 2020 8:40 PM

r333, you hear correct. There are far too many times where I wondered either "Why did that happen?" or "That's not believable." I'm genuinely surprised critics are being so kind to the film. But they seem to be more forgiving to plot holes in horror films: witness the acclaim for Get Out, a movie that makes no logical sense whatsoever.

by Anonymousreply 334March 3, 2020 8:45 PM

I read a plot synopsis and it seemed very hokey.

SPOILER: Oh, it's not him, but somebody else! Oh, so there's a SECOND suit? How conveeenient!

by Anonymousreply 335March 3, 2020 8:46 PM

R335 I mean, in any science experiment, there would be several versions. That's hardly a plot hole

by Anonymousreply 336March 3, 2020 9:37 PM

R334 Get Out did well because it had Nasty-Whites-Black-Victims written all over it. It's actually a pretty mediocre movie and you're right, it made no sense unless you're blinded by the woke light.

by Anonymousreply 337March 3, 2020 9:45 PM

The score was really outstanding, like Joker's score.

***********S P O I L E R Y**************

My gripe was why didn't she put on that suit immediately? She could've snuck out of there, but I guess they left that for the ending.

by Anonymousreply 338March 3, 2020 9:46 PM

Yes, r338, that was the other thing -- events happened so that they would be remembered later; her hiding the invisible suit was practically a neon sign that said THIS WILL BE IMPORTANT LATER.

by Anonymousreply 339March 3, 2020 10:39 PM

This movie has the best horror film score since the original Halloween, Carrie and The Exorcist.

by Anonymousreply 340March 3, 2020 11:05 PM

The score and camera work were both really exceptional, but the plot holes are pretty bad even for a horror film. That poor bitch had to deliver the line "He was a leader in the field of optics" with a straight face.

by Anonymousreply 341March 4, 2020 12:04 AM

R340 *coughs in Candyman*

by Anonymousreply 342March 4, 2020 4:39 AM

[quote]They really fucked up not casting Oliver Jackson-Cohen as the next James Bond.

The latset rumor is that he's not the next Bond, but he might be the next Snake Plissken - Leigh Whannell is directing the "Escape From LA" franchise reboot and he loved Oliver, who has expressed enthusiastic interest in the role in recent interviews.

by Anonymousreply 343March 4, 2020 9:40 PM

If Whannell was smart, he should cast Wyatt Russell as Snake's son.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 344March 5, 2020 2:47 AM

R344 does the part have nudity?

by Anonymousreply 345March 5, 2020 2:56 AM

I went to see this last night at my local AMC, but the projection was so dimly lit on two different screens, that I had to get my money back.

The twerp of a manager assured me that that was the standard brightness for a Sony projector.

Jesus Christ, the movie screen should look better than my TV, otherwise why even leave the house

by Anonymousreply 346March 5, 2020 3:02 AM

Was Escape From LA a big hit?? And R344 Wyatt doesn't strike me as an action man.

by Anonymousreply 347March 5, 2020 3:16 AM

Well neither is Oliver r347.

by Anonymousreply 348March 5, 2020 12:48 PM

Looks like Stormy Daniels in r111. Not a compliment, just an observation.

Who keeps trying to make EM happen?

by Anonymousreply 349March 5, 2020 1:04 PM

Oliver has done action before though, in Emerald City and in the 2010 film "Faster." He actually went head to head with The Rock in that, and he held his own okay. But I still think he'd make a better Snake Plissken than Bond.

by Anonymousreply 350March 5, 2020 7:06 PM

R339 quite a few Chekovian 'guns'.

by Anonymousreply 351March 6, 2020 11:41 AM

Yes, r351. The mace, the fire extinguisher, the renovation of Aldis' home.

by Anonymousreply 352March 6, 2020 1:50 PM

This makes me happy. Especially in horror movies, trailers tend to tell you EVERYTHING. In retrospect, there are a couple things I was pleasantly surprised weren't in the trailer

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 353March 6, 2020 3:57 PM

The biggest Chekovian gun was the second suit. There was just no rhyme or reason for her to have hidden it and the instant that she did I knew it would be a plot point later.

Just watched a few cast interviews and Oliver effusively referred to Elisabeth as "the Meryl Streep of our generation."

by Anonymousreply 354March 7, 2020 12:54 AM

[Quote] Just watched a few cast interviews and Oliver effusively referred to Elisabeth as "the Meryl Streep of our generation."

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 355March 7, 2020 2:52 AM

Here's Oliver's personal grooming and skincare regime. It's... detailed.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 356March 7, 2020 6:38 AM

Jackson-Cohen is barely in it.

Aldis Hodge has a much bigger role and he's hotter.

by Anonymousreply 357March 7, 2020 8:01 AM

*Hodge is also a better actor than Jackson-Cohen. Jackson-Cohen didn't carry much star quality in the dinner table sequence.

And, while Moss was fantastic, if Nyong'o couldn't get nominated for Us (in a weak year), Moss isn't getting nominated for this.

by Anonymousreply 358March 7, 2020 8:20 AM

R357, OJC has a ton more star quality than Aldis.

by Anonymousreply 359March 7, 2020 3:27 PM

Yeah Aldis is a competent actor and really good looking, but he's kind of a dead fish on screen.

by Anonymousreply 360March 7, 2020 9:17 PM

You wouldn't know that from The Invisible Man, R359. The actor is literally invisible throughout most of the film and towards the end, when he's supposed to have an underlining menacing presence, he's doesn't.

Hodge drives your eye towards him in this film and in What Men Want.

by Anonymousreply 361March 7, 2020 9:20 PM

You couldn't see Claude Rains throughout most of his movie version, yet he scared the pants off you

by Anonymousreply 362March 7, 2020 9:41 PM

Jackson-Cohen doesn't get credit for providing any of the scares, R362. That's the director. You don't have much of a sense of Jackson-Cohen the actor at the beginning, so the actor's presence isn't felt throughout the film. Any presence you feel is from the character, which is built by the director and special effects team. You don't see him. You rarely hear him. When you finally do see/hear him, it's for a limited time, and, as I said, he doesn't have a very menacing presence for a domestic abuser.

The only people who want to give Jackson-Cohen credit in the film are the people who saw him in the promotional material and/or film and googled him right after for nude pics and possible old porn videos.

by Anonymousreply 363March 7, 2020 10:39 PM

[quote]It got the "Blumhouse" treatment. It's full on frau-fodder. Middle aged white woman who marries an extremely rich extremely handsome man and is set to inherit millions of dollars upon his death, and has to prove to the world she's not crazy in order to get it.

I didn't think fraus liked horror movies.

by Anonymousreply 364March 8, 2020 4:07 AM

Teenage girls were part of the reason the Scream franchise was a hit, R364, for what it's worth.

I enjoyed The Invisible Man. Moss was great. And while the script was wonky at times, overall, it offered a really enjoyable reinvention of an old premise. It had some clever touches (the revelation of the suit and when she kills him to make it look like the suicide he said it was especially). My main problem was that once she puts chinks in the suit's armour (washing off the paint I was willing to accept, but not when he took some physical blows), I didn't buy it intermittently disappearing. I bought into the suit at first, but once she started physically screwing up its optical illusion, I think it should have lost its powers.

by Anonymousreply 365March 8, 2020 4:16 AM

Leigh Whannell said he chose Oliver Jackson-Cohen for the role precisely because he wasn't a menacing creepy mustache-twirling brute which is the way all the other actors vying for the part had tried to play him. The Adrian Griffin of this film is supposed to seem charming and soft, exactly like the type that a naive woman would believe/feel sorry for if he apologized and promised to do better once he started showing his true colors, and also the type of guy that no one else would believe would be capable of such a thing if she tried to tell anyone how abusive he really was. He's monstrous because he seems so normal, but we see through her POV that he's anything but. If you understand gaslighting narcissism, you understand that the few minutes OJC had on screen were both accurate and chilling.

by Anonymousreply 366March 8, 2020 5:39 AM

Moss is clearly the Jodie Foster of our generation. This is exactly the type of movie Jodie would have made 20 years ago.

She was excellent, in the film was good right up until the fight sequence in the mental institution. After that, there were plot holes that you could drive a truck through. The brother was three different characters throughout the movie: first threatening, then sympathetic, then murderous? Who was the body that they cremated? Who took care of that poor fucking dog? I think that last point bothered me the most.

by Anonymousreply 367March 8, 2020 7:05 AM

R367 I was confused on all those points too but then I saw people on Reddit and Twitter explain it:

SPOILERS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN IT YET:

Tom, the brother, was in on it from the start and just as much of a sociopath as Adrian was. He and Adrian faked the suicide together. We're to understand that Adrian had him under some kind of control OR the other way around - the film leaves it to interpretation since Adrian claims at the end that his brother was the mastermind, but who can say what the truth was. There were probably no ashes; it was just a prop to further the illusion, like the fake suicide photos.

Adrian was living in the home the entire time so he was likely feeding Zeus, but it's a plot hole that Cecilia doesn't even question this. Also the dog was seen running away in the first act, so not even explaining how he was back and living there seemed like a plot hole, too. I saw someone on Twitter suggest that maybe Cecelia assumed he was living in the wild and revisiting the home he knew on his own. I think there's a throwaway line about it in the film, but I can't remember.

by Anonymousreply 368March 8, 2020 7:13 AM

R366 Thanks for that.

R367 You nailed it about Jodie. Also the dog. But, I guess it was the brother who took care of him and they switched back and fourth. One would be the Invisible Man and the other would take care of the dog.

by Anonymousreply 369March 8, 2020 7:19 AM

[Quote] Teenage girls were part of the reason the Scream franchise was a hit, [R364], for what it's worth.

Teenage girls are fraus?

by Anonymousreply 370March 8, 2020 12:13 PM

[Quote]Teenage girls are fraus?

Eventually, no?

by Anonymousreply 371March 8, 2020 12:30 PM

R371 i'd say it's 50/50.

by Anonymousreply 372March 8, 2020 12:34 PM

Can you please give me the DL definition of frau? Thanks.

by Anonymousreply 373March 8, 2020 12:46 PM

I thought this Oliver had a huge part, but it was laughably small. He was nothing special in the role. His two front teeth are so adorable, i couldn't take him seriously as a threat. Also because i was thinking about Moss and Armisen, who really has a serial killer vibe. Not a best casting choice.

by Anonymousreply 374March 8, 2020 1:50 PM

R373 A woman.

by Anonymousreply 375March 8, 2020 2:10 PM

Aldis’ mountainous physique deserve credit acknowledgement in this movie. It draws the eye

by Anonymousreply 376March 8, 2020 2:57 PM

There's something Michael Shannon-esque about Aldis Hodge's eyes, but the rest of him is hot enough to make up for it. He's really monotone in everything I've seen him in though.

There was a lot of overacting happening among the Australian extras in the hospital scenes, but the actor playing the brother was by far the weakest link in the cast. If Leigh Whannell didn't want a mustache-twirling Scooby Doo villain as Adrian, he sure got one as his brother.

by Anonymousreply 377March 8, 2020 9:20 PM

[quote]Here's Oliver's personal grooming and skincare regime. It's... detailed.

Sweet Zombie Jesus! Do Maybelline spokesmodels have skincare processes that complicated and time-consuming? Now I want to see Jackson-Cohen in some movie where his character gets up in the morning wearing a face mask and cucumber slices over his eyes!

I saw the movie this afternoon. Very captivating and scary overall, though I think it went too over-the-top with the hall scenes in the psychiatric facility. Elisabeth Moss certainly turned in an amazing performance.

by Anonymousreply 378March 9, 2020 2:11 AM

Elisabeth Moss is the new Jodie Foster??? That creepy Scientologist. Does she defend Danny Masterson like Jodie defends Mel Gibson. Just wondering.

by Anonymousreply 379March 9, 2020 6:09 AM

It's interesting that NO ONE directly asked her about Scientology in this entire press tour. Her publicist must have told them it was off limits as a topic.

by Anonymousreply 380March 9, 2020 6:46 AM

In her defence, she was born into Scientology. And, if you leave the religion, that means you're designated a "suppressive person" and you're abandoned by your family.

by Anonymousreply 381March 9, 2020 6:52 AM

I imagine it's next to impossible for her to leave at this point. Still, when people ask her benign questions about her childhood, she gives odd answers, like one in Bustle asked her what she thought she missed out on as a kid and she said lockers - she has never had one. Was she homeschooled or did she go to one of those scientology private schools?

by Anonymousreply 382March 9, 2020 7:45 AM

R382

It's shocking nobody asked her or commented about her obvious pregnancy.

by Anonymousreply 383March 9, 2020 10:35 AM

[quote] I’m an English/French/Egyptian/Tunisian/Israeli hybrid

The White-Adjacent troll must love OJC.

by Anonymousreply 384March 9, 2020 3:23 PM

R283 I agree. She's even doing more behind the scenes stuff on Handmaid's this season. It seems as though her publicist keeps a very tight rein on what interviewers can and cannot ask her. I have to say, if she weren't a Scientologist and I didn't think it was all a for-the-public facade, I'd really like her. She's talented and comes off as funny and down to earth in interviews. But for the cult.

R378 OJC tweeted a link to that GQ grooming article with a "painting my nails" emoji. Even he knows how not-butch he sounds.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 385March 9, 2020 8:05 PM

They are warned not to bring up Scientology. I heard her talk about it a few years ago and I was definitely getting a creepy vibe. It's for the best she doesn't talk about it.

by Anonymousreply 386March 9, 2020 8:11 PM

I wonder if one of the reasons she's so prolific of an actress if that's a way that she can many times get away from Hollywood and the confines of Scientology. Handmaid films in Canada and she inexplicably did that limited run series in New Zealand or Australia and many of her films are on location. I saw her on Broadway do Speed the Plow and she was magnificent, hopefully she'll do more theater again too. I'm sure she one of the ones who is happy not to be filming in L.A. all the time.

by Anonymousreply 387March 9, 2020 8:19 PM

People on her Instagram HAVE asked her about Scientology and she's gotten quite defensive. She says Scientology is neither sexist nor homophobic and that she thinks that it supports everyone's right to be their authentic selves. This was pretty recent. There's no reason to suppose she doesn't buy all of it, hook, line and sinker, or that she's in any way longing to leave it.

by Anonymousreply 388March 9, 2020 8:28 PM

[quote]I saw her on Broadway do Speed the Plow and she was magnificent,

It's impossible for anyone to be "magnificent" in that part. The way the show is written, it's impossible for the actress playing it to make much of an impression, good or bad. That's how Madonna managed to play the part without being crucified by the critics.

I saw Moss on Broadway in THE HEIDI CHRONICLES. The play has aged badly, but also, Moss was not good in it, and the show closed quickly. I was happy about that because I knew she was a Scientologist freak.

by Anonymousreply 389March 9, 2020 8:28 PM

She gets credit for not always trying to be pretty in her roles. Not a lot of actresses, even plain ones, are willing to have their blotchy makeup-free pimpled eye-bagged faces in extreme closeup on a 20-foot screen, but she always goes for the unglamorous roles rather unflinchingly. But she also has that unfortunate baby voice and does a lot of acting through her teeth, so she really isn't that great. No disrepsect to OJC's fangirling over her, but her generation's Meryl Streep, she is not.

by Anonymousreply 390March 9, 2020 8:35 PM

[Quote] I love OJC but his honesty is going to cost him future roles. People hate masculine looking men who visibly pass as straight yet have flaming gay personalities. If he doesn't tune it down he's going to have a difficult time in Hollywood. It'll only get worse if he comes out.

Jake Gyllenhaal went on one of the late night talk shows and exclaimed "A Little Night Music is MY FAVORITE MUSICAL!" His career has not taken a hit. There's a long tradition in showbusiness of "ambiguously gay" (take a look at one of those talk show hosts: James Corden). OJC will be fine. It's not purses that fall out of his mouth, it's the content that sets off the gaydar among gay people. Straight people are apt to brush that stuff off.

by Anonymousreply 391March 9, 2020 8:58 PM

R391 is right. We've seen fraus on this very thread dismiss him as a straight guy "with a lot of personality."

by Anonymousreply 392March 9, 2020 9:16 PM

"It's impossible for anyone to be "magnificent" in that part. The way the show is written, it's impossible for the actress playing it to make much of an impression, good or bad. That's how Madonna managed to play the part without being crucified by the critics.

I saw Moss on Broadway in THE HEIDI CHRONICLES. The play has aged badly, but also, Moss was not good in it, and the show closed quickly. I was happy about that because I knew she was a Scientologist freak."

The terrifying theater queen is at it again.

by Anonymousreply 393March 9, 2020 9:48 PM

Terrifying? On a gossip board for gay men?

Show us on the doll where Stephen Sondheim hurt you.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 394March 10, 2020 1:27 AM

R388

Yeah, it happened. Maybe it was some overeager assistant? It was very disappointing moment. Also apparently her swearing, showing of middle finger are scientology things. I have a theory that she became more involved after her divorce. She was brave enough to marry out of cult, but it backfired.

by Anonymousreply 395March 10, 2020 2:08 AM

How are the swearing and bird flipping part of Scientology?

by Anonymousreply 396March 10, 2020 5:15 AM

I knew about the couch jumping, but the other is news to me also.

by Anonymousreply 397March 10, 2020 5:17 AM

R396

R397

It is. I can't post links for some reason, but if you Google "Elisabeth Moss swearing", first result will be The Hollywood Reporter's article about it. It's very important tradition for scientology.

by Anonymousreply 398March 10, 2020 5:54 AM

I wonder what level she's at?? I can't believe the amount of money that gets wasted on that cult.

by Anonymousreply 399March 10, 2020 6:16 AM

R399

There is open information about it, but i can't post links. Apparently her latest update is something called Purification Rundown.

by Anonymousreply 400March 10, 2020 7:11 AM

R400 that's ok. Purification Rundown sounds like the album of a 90s rock band lol

by Anonymousreply 401March 10, 2020 9:20 AM

R401

ALL of scientology sounds like something out of 90s shitty rock band. I mean, all religions are ridiculous, but this takes the cake. How can intelligent grown ups believe in this shit?

Whoever said Moss sounds sheltered and infantile, you are so right. And i am starting to think that she used her divorce as a PR, to look endearing, vulnerable and maybe to defend herself against scientology accusations. It's shocking how long was she milking that cow, referring to horrible break up for years after divorce, posting Adele's lyrics from Water under the bridge, about loving the guy who doesn't love her anymore, etc. It's just sad and pathetic, but it works in her favour.

by Anonymousreply 402March 10, 2020 6:12 PM

Do we think Elisabeth proselytized to Aldis, Oliver, Harriet Dyer and Leigh Whannell in Australia? Or young naive little Storm Reid? I've heard they've gotten particular about when the Hollywood types are supposed to bring it up in work context. Or are they still setting up on-set Dianetics tents like they were 20 years ago?

by Anonymousreply 403March 10, 2020 6:16 PM

[Quote] Or are they still setting up on-set Dianetics tents like they were 20 years ago?

I hope not. That sounds cringey. And I think that's just one of the things Cruise did that pissed off SS.

by Anonymousreply 404March 11, 2020 1:56 AM

I saw this last Tuesday (discount day $6 at AMC) and it was much better than i expected.

Just the right amount of time to her to figure it out, just the right amount of time for people to disbelieve her, just the right amount of time for her to develop a plan, and just the right of time for the final confrontation, with an ending that I could sort of see coming but was surprised by nonetheless.

by Anonymousreply 405March 13, 2020 3:18 AM

She is not aging well. She looks so heavy and doughy, and it's not because of the weight gain. She looks like every Karen from reddit threads.

by Anonymousreply 406March 16, 2020 4:50 PM

Oliver doesn't look remotely heavy and doughy.

by Anonymousreply 407March 16, 2020 4:53 PM

It's a great film and much scarier than the original.

But OP should be castrated for hyperbole and ecstatic swooning in public.

This movie will not be nominated for Oscars or even remembered in one year. Chances are, OP is the HALLOWEEN Loon who called Jamie Lee Curtis a Best Actress frontrunner for HALLOWEEN 2018.

by Anonymousreply 408March 16, 2020 4:58 PM

I was surprised by how much I really loved this. It was suspenseful as hell and Elizabeth Moss really does do Oscar-worthy work, but since the academy hates horror, she won't get nominated.

I sort of liked that they didn't sit down and explain how the suits worked and all that stupid stuff. Who wants to see that? In the same way that I'm glad Get Out and The Stepford Wives never sat us down to tell us how their mysterious producers worked. They kept it a mystery. I wouldn't call that a plot hole when it's being deliberately kept under wraps to add an air of mystery and keep the audience from going to sleep during some long winded villain monologue.

by Anonymousreply 409March 16, 2020 5:36 PM

Universal is releasing The Invisible Man on VOD this Friday for $19.99.

The studios know that no one is going to see movies in a theater for the time being so they are releasing everything on VOD right now for a higher fee. The new Trolls movie will not even be released in theaters, and instead will be released straight to VOD on Friday.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 410March 16, 2020 11:37 PM

That's really smart. I think the studios are getting to use this as a test case for a new kind of business model going forward. People love seeing movies but a lot of people hate actually going to the movies. Theater revenues have been on the decline for years anyway.

by Anonymousreply 411March 17, 2020 9:41 PM

Ironically enough, this movie is Oscar favorite, and Moss may win the Oscar.

by Anonymousreply 412April 6, 2020 2:49 AM

If there's a reduced slate of films this year, due to the quarantine, she could very well be in the running. Or, if they cancel the Oscars and have the 2022 ceremony honor films from the previous 2 years, she and the film will likely be completely forgotten.

by Anonymousreply 413April 6, 2020 2:58 AM

Moss is the definite favorite for the Oscar so far. She literally has no competition.

by Anonymousreply 414April 6, 2020 4:07 AM

I agree with the scientologists, Moss is a excellent candidate for best actress.

by Anonymousreply 415April 6, 2020 4:13 AM

I'd be delighted if she were nominated. She was at least as good, if not better than the guy from Get Out a few years ago. The Academy doesn't seem to go for horror movies, unfortunately, but that doesn't change the fact that it's most definitely an Oscar worthy performance. Moss goes through the entire gamut of emotions throughout the film. That's Oscar worthy to me.

by Anonymousreply 416April 6, 2020 4:40 PM

It's probably getting nomination for Best Picture, Best Actress, Best Director and Best Score.

by Anonymousreply 417April 6, 2020 6:02 PM

It's April and we're already talking about the Oscars. The theaters are all closed. Of course she doesn't have any competition. They're not releasing movies. Damn, Scientologists. Next it's going to be Tom Cruise for Best actor in Top Gun. People losing it in quarantine.

by Anonymousreply 418April 6, 2020 6:19 PM

We can nominate each of Aldis Hodge's biceps for Best Supporting Actor.

by Anonymousreply 419April 6, 2020 9:26 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!