Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Hyper-extended knees (aka ostrich legs)

Not going to lie, this makes my skin crawl.

Seems to also be most prevalent amongst the younger generation(s)—everytime I see it at the gym or pool or whatever, it's always a teenage-through-early-30's person who has it.

Is it caused by too much sitting around playing videogames or on the computer?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 8February 13, 2020 10:58 AM

OP, never even knew that this was a thing?!?! Learned something new today, thanks to you.

It’s called Genu Recurvatum, and its etiology is usually present when a child is born, and developed in utero. Probable genetic trait? Not sure.

Lax muscles, incorrect pelvic alignment, and other causes. Don’t know them. Too lazy to read it all on Wiki.

Trauma, such as a car accident, fall, etc., can also cause the condition to present.

So whoever you see that has this? They cannot help it, and they need professional, medically licensed prisons, and specialized treatment, in order to correct it. It varies in severity.

Personally, I have never even noticed this as a irregularity.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 1February 13, 2020 2:23 AM

in the dance world patois, it's considered banana leg

by Anonymousreply 2February 13, 2020 2:29 AM

There was a girl I knew growing up in the 80s who had this. She had sloping shoulders, a pigeon breast and frizzy red hair and looked like Alice Kramden. She was also a terrible goody-two-shoes and super duper nice.

I haven’t seen it lately at all. Huh.

by Anonymousreply 3February 13, 2020 2:39 AM

I’ve seen it, but never to the point where it looked like a deformity. I thought it was normal, and just a trait of people who are more flexible?

I don’t think it looks bad. If it’s too hyperextended, then there will definitely be posture issues that will be really obvious.

It should be corrected, at any rate, because it will eventually cause problems as the person ages, according to some stuff I quickly glanced over, online.

by Anonymousreply 4February 13, 2020 2:45 AM

I dated a guy with this--a Puerto Rican with a nice body. I always wondered why he didn't consciously slightly bend them to compensate, but maybe it would be uncomfortable to do so.

One friend who had only seen him in pants asked me if he had prosthetic legs.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 5February 13, 2020 7:25 AM

My elbows do this. Luckily I don't stand on my arms. I always forget about it until someone points it out to me, which is rare.

by Anonymousreply 6February 13, 2020 7:36 AM

On behalf of all the rarities I can say we don't find it amusing nor appropriate to be associate with that disgusting picture of those overly hirsute legs

by Anonymousreply 7February 13, 2020 10:36 AM

Former dancer, here. Never heard "banana legs. That term must come from some horrible tap and baton twirling Academy in Oklahoma. Always "sabre legs."

Our bodies have an infinite number of variations, large and small. This is just one of them. Most people with sabre legs would not even know, unless they took ballet class.

by Anonymousreply 8February 13, 2020 10:58 AM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!