Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Harry and Meghan To Buy Cheesy McMansion In Toronto

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 51February 18, 2020 12:28 PM

Frogmore Cottage West!

by Anonymousreply 1February 12, 2020 7:22 PM

Go the fuck away with your fucking Meghan threads! NO ONE FUCKING CARES!

by Anonymousreply 2February 12, 2020 7:22 PM

For this they gave up Balmoral, Buckingham Palace, and Windsor Castle? How déclassé!

by Anonymousreply 3February 12, 2020 7:43 PM

First, it's another rumour and completely unconfirmed; second, if true, it does have the kind of majestic brick look Meghan was hoping for when she snagged Harry.

Face it, ladies, it looks much more like Kensington Palace than Frogmore Cottage did.

If the rumour turns out to be true, you can bet your arse that the resemblance to KP isn't accidental.

Despite the lure of L.A., Meghan's dicey tax situation means they may be better off in Canada for awhile.

Charles, as usual, will probably stump up for the house; this is way above their pay grade at the moment.

by Anonymousreply 4February 12, 2020 7:49 PM

Please get your title right, summoning the "Tasteful Friends".

by Anonymousreply 5February 12, 2020 7:51 PM

Op, you do realize that a home built in 1920 isn't a McMansion, right? Neither home meets the definition.

by Anonymousreply 6February 12, 2020 7:53 PM

What size staff does the house come with?

by Anonymousreply 7February 12, 2020 7:55 PM

That's not a McMansion, OP.

by Anonymousreply 8February 12, 2020 8:16 PM

I know that house. I drive past it on my way to the gym. It's much bigger in the pictures than it looks from the road. I don't think they'd buy it. Number one, it is on a busy street (comparatively speaking) because a lot of people coming off an artery road to the south use is as a cut through. (Torontonians: turning off Rosedale Valley Road lets you avoid the jam where one lane Rosedale (technically Aylmer) meets Yonge.... you can get out onto Yonge off Crescent Road but cutting through.) Second, it's not far back from that street. Very close. The front of the house wouldn't feel private. Third, while I think it's got some ravine between the property and the subway, it is very close to the subway line, where it is above ground. You'd hear it. I'd be surprised if this was true or happens if it is. It's probably some ambitious real estate agent duping the Mail.

Nice place, though.

by Anonymousreply 9February 12, 2020 8:24 PM

It's a beautiful home not matter who buys it.

by Anonymousreply 10February 12, 2020 8:50 PM

According to the Canadians I know, Toronto defines pretentiousness.

by Anonymousreply 11February 12, 2020 8:56 PM

Who's paying for this ?

by Anonymousreply 12February 12, 2020 8:58 PM

When do I get to play with my cousins?

by Anonymousreply 13February 12, 2020 9:01 PM

R11 - those Canadians you know must be from other provinces. People from elsewhere I often jealous of Toronto because it's the financial capital of Canada. Unless of course, you really don't know any Canadians. That's always a possibility.

by Anonymousreply 14February 12, 2020 9:01 PM

Over thirty trolls that post AntiMeghan shit have just been outed on a back alley thread on Lipstick Alley. After viewing the thread was edited to seem harmless. A prolific poster on Lipstick Alley named FutureMD is allegedly a confirmed shill and troll that has been discussed and kicked off both Niketalk and The Ecoli. They are allegedly a man not the Black woman the purport to be. Google FutureMD internet troll Niketalk or The Ecoli. When alleged trolls like this aren't posting on sites like Datalounge and Lipstick Alley then maybe what you all have to say might seem relevant. The vast and confirmed amount of trolls posting makes anything discussed irrelevant.

by Anonymousreply 15February 12, 2020 9:02 PM

^ ARE often jealous

by Anonymousreply 16February 12, 2020 9:02 PM

R13 Archie, you can't play with your cousins. Grand mama doesn't want us nowhere near the castle anymore, you'll get plenty of nice little friends in the waldorf school here. And some of them will be the same color as you.

by Anonymousreply 17February 12, 2020 9:06 PM

Sorry folks, but that home is gorgeous. Too bad to hear its so close to the road and has a subway train running through the backyard. Apart from those drawbacks I could totally live there as it is currently decorated.

by Anonymousreply 18February 12, 2020 9:13 PM

The neighbors are too close. I want them out and their homes leveled. And I want that fucking subway train rerouted YESTERDAY!!!

My husband will explain to you that what I want, i get.

by Anonymousreply 19February 12, 2020 9:55 PM

I call bullshit.

It’s not half as grand or private as Her Nibs would require, and it has security gaps all over the place. Baloney.

It’s a beautiful home, though, and I’d love to live there.

by Anonymousreply 20February 12, 2020 10:09 PM

If they’re using a massive team of security in a secluded house on a gated property on an island... what are they going to do in a house surrounded by roads and other homes? They’ll have to erect watchtowers at each corner, manned by snipers. Guards at the storm grates and scanning the airspace above, and a Food Taster to make sure the water and good supply hasn’t been tainted.

by Anonymousreply 21February 12, 2020 10:13 PM

It is a beautiful house and it does not remotely qualify as a McMansion. It looks exactly like what Meghan thought she would be getting in England and didn't.

Here's my fantasy: I win the lottery and buy it out from under her nose.

by Anonymousreply 22February 12, 2020 10:17 PM

[post redacted because linking to dailymail.co.uk clearly indicates that the poster is either a troll or an idiot (probably both, honestly.) Our advice is that you just ignore this poster but whatever you do, don't click on any link to this putrid rag.]

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 23February 13, 2020 1:26 AM

R15 - Oh do please fuck off and go back to your SJW nursery. This is at least the third rant on the third thread about Lipstick Alley, which looks like it can take care of itself.

"Relevant"?! What is it about the phrase "pointless bitchery" that you don't understand?!

Stop trying to censor this site so that only nice things get said about Meghan Markle. Her mixed race DNA does not entitle her to immunity from criticism, mockery, or speculation - although it's a card she played early and regularly- she wanted fame, she got it. This comes with it.

And if it comes to it, the only real damage done so far more is what she did to Harry and his family, who let her through the city gates and gave her exactly what she craved, only to find out in less than a year that she was there to use them, ghost them like she's ghosted so many others, take the loot, and run away. Blaming, of course, racism at every turn.

We really don't care about your "bots" your "shills" or Liptstick Alley.

You sound exactly like the shrill self-righteous lunatics on CB who think Prince William and Carole Middleton are Lucius and Narcisa Malfoy and the two of them totally control the UK press, the Queen, Charles, all their advisors and courtiers, and who also believe Prince Philip sent the Mercedes for Diana and, through mind control, made her leave her seat belt undone, AND bribed the bartender at the Ritz to double Henri Paul's drinks when he wasn't looking.

Fuck off and fight climate change or cruelty to animals and stop preening yourself on being the champion and defender of this third-rate narcissist's money-grubbing hypocritical scheming, who cost Harry his family, his country, his beloved connection to the military, his home, and has him now peddling his soul and his grief for money from the REAL criminals: the megalith investment bank robber barons.

You need some priority training.

by Anonymousreply 24February 13, 2020 11:37 AM

^ What R24 said. What a sad case that one is.

by Anonymousreply 25February 13, 2020 11:43 AM

R24, please marry me!!

by Anonymousreply 26February 13, 2020 4:31 PM

R4 I’m thinking no. I suspect if they buy it, then their relationship with JP Morgan is a done deal. They’ll continue to rack up big speakers fees on their behalf (Ronald Regan back in the day made big bucks hitting the speaker trail for GE after his acting career tanked) and they’ll be used to lure big investors.

by Anonymousreply 27February 13, 2020 4:38 PM

R27 - Investors in what, is the question. The GS relationship is now said to be about GS supporting one of Harry's personal patronages, like Sentebale or the Invictus Games, not the Sussexes. No one knows if these fees are going to the pair personally or not.

The point is, GS and JPM and Citigroup, etc., have both investing and outright "contribution" granting arms. The Summit the pair attended at JPM was the former: exchanging ideas about "other", possibly more "respectable" ways to get ROI from Doing Good Things. The latter, straight up contributions, is another matter.

But the fact is, either way, if the pair want to become financially independent of Charles and the BRF altogether, they have to make money for themselves. The foundation will have to wait unless they are setting it up in such a way as to be paid Directors. I'm not sure how that can work, and in any event, what they would get paid that way isn't enough for them to live the way they clearly want to live. Big Mansions, Big Money, Big Influence, Big Visibility.

It's early days yet. Stephen Glover's piece in today's DM nailed it: their problem is they want to take advantage of Harry's royal connection,s but without worrying about sullying those connections. That's the dilemma they face.

by Anonymousreply 28February 13, 2020 8:28 PM

R28 - For the record, Charles' The Prince's Trust "partners" as "sponsors" with the following financial services industry entities: Barclay's, Morgan Stanley, HSBC, Bloomberg, Vestra, NatWest, CVC Capital Partners, and Standard Life.

A quick check of TPT's financial report is that 87p of every "£1 in contributions supports the Trust's activities, which at this point make it one of the most extensive and successful charities in the world.

If Meghan and Harry are chasing money for their "foundation", they aren't going to be making a living off it because the public won't support a foundation unless it sees that at least 80% is going to support programme, not administrative costs.

This is a stupid insistence, as good programmes take good staff who deserve good pay - this has been a thorn in the side of the nonprofit world for decades.

Nevertheless, that's how it is. Harry and Meghan either want to set themselves up first, or their foundation. But they can't do both at the same time if they plan to live like . . . well, royalty.

by Anonymousreply 29February 13, 2020 8:51 PM

OP: THIS IS CHEESY? Honey, I can show you cheesy.

by Anonymousreply 30February 13, 2020 9:01 PM

Yes OP they are totally purchasing a “cheesy McMansion” in the burbs, next door to a insurance salesmen and his stay at home wife. They’re going to send Archie to a public school. Harry is going to be a grocery store manager. Meghan is going to stay at home. She will simultaneously chair the PTA and the garden club. Here’s the home.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 31February 13, 2020 9:19 PM

Real mansions don't have siding.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 14, 2020 11:52 AM

The Maul says they have fired their staff of fifteen in London, including PR powerhouse Sara Latham.

Well, the upside for us is there's more people to tell the Maul things on a not for attribution basis.

by Anonymousreply 33February 14, 2020 11:53 AM

Marry me, R24. You said everything perfectly. And really, what the fuck does Lipstick Alley have to do with our pointless bitchery? God, I loathe those Megstans.

by Anonymousreply 34February 14, 2020 12:06 PM

There's probably a sense of mission they think entitles them to come over here and sort us out. It's laughable, if annoying. I doubt annoying is what even those mouth breathing, slack jawed no hopers are aiming for.

by Anonymousreply 35February 14, 2020 12:11 PM

Looks pretty!

by Anonymousreply 36February 14, 2020 12:12 PM

R24 you have anger issues. I don't even care about Meghan and Harry, but your response seems over the top.

I do wish people would stop posting so many g.d. threads about them, though. Enough already

by Anonymousreply 37February 14, 2020 12:14 PM

R24 - You're damned right I have anger issues: I'm damned if I'll sit down under some pious SJW coming in here and lecture us in what we strongly believe is a sphere that rejects censorship about what we should and shouldn't say about a woman who is only their concern because she's half-black.

And if you don't care about Meghan and Harry, what are you even doing here reading all those posts?

It's our discussion and we can say what we like. This is DL, not The Guardian.

Pious hypocritical censorship in a free-wheeling arena like this does make me angry.

by Anonymousreply 38February 14, 2020 12:26 PM

This is all hype. They really are not going to be staying in Canada more than a few weeks, for form's sake. They've already been brainstorming at Stanford FFS: "Prince Harry and Meghan Markle attend brainstorm at Stanford University The Duke and Duchess of Sussex were in California on Tuesday"

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 39February 14, 2020 12:29 PM

r24's responses are always over the top. Their shtick is to write lengthy, angry essays, and there is always someone who follows up to say "you're so awesome, marry me!" afterwards.

by Anonymousreply 40February 14, 2020 12:31 PM

They look happy in R39's pic.

by Anonymousreply 41February 14, 2020 12:33 PM

The Obama’s home in DC is on a pretty small lot too, isn’t it? This house sort of reminds me of their house, in the way that it’s a large home on an urban lot, but still sites nicely.

But I am not familiar with either neighborhood and I suppose the Obama’s don’t need to worry much about their security costs.

Sounds like this was just a silly room or, but how long are Meghan and Harry going to freeload of their mysterious benefactor with the Vancouver home (which IS a little McMansion-y).

by Anonymousreply 42February 14, 2020 12:40 PM

I remember reading about the Duke and Duchess of Windsor who, as I recall, had a regular schedule of where they spent time during the year, And there were wealthy people who would cover the costs of part of it when they were in a particular location.

For example, one person would consistently let them use his limo for the time they were in that locale.

But, as the story went, the person making the offer began to complain when the Windsors overstayed their time.

I can't help but wonder about the Vancouver house and, I would assume, the staff taking care of Sparkle and Harry. Can the pair demand NDA from someone else's employees?

I wonder how she treated the Clooney employees when they stayed at the Clooney house in Italy.

by Anonymousreply 43February 14, 2020 6:52 PM

R43, I can venture a guess. Have they stayed at another Clooney residence since?

by Anonymousreply 44February 14, 2020 7:04 PM

If they want to get a real mansion for a steal they should look in Shaker Heights or Cleveland Heights, Ohio. So many elegant homes that need modernizing that younger buyers aren't interested in because they don't want houses that big also, affordability is an issue.

by Anonymousreply 45February 14, 2020 7:05 PM

R3 "For this they gave up Balmoral, Buckingham Palace, and Windsor Castle? How déclassé!"

Well, to be fair, they didn't live in those places, and Meghan never set foot in Balmoral. Nor did Harry ever again after the summer of 2017. They tried to get the Queen to give them digs in Windsor Castle rather than Frogmore Cottage, but she refused. Still, the turrets of Windsor Castle are are just a half mile or so from Frogmore Cottage.

As for Buckingham Palace, even the Queen doesn't like living there and Charles will be weeping all the way there when he has to leave his beloved Clarence House, once the London home of his adored Gran, to take up residence as the Sovereign.

Kate and William might then get Clarence House. But who will get Apt 1A in Kensington Palace?

With all those exiles and divorces, who's left?

The Wessexes have earned it with their years of devoted service, but their children will be out of the home by then.

Bea and Edo, and/or Eugenie and Jack - could have the two grand apartments: 1 and 1A.

by Anonymousreply 46February 17, 2020 11:28 PM

It doesn't necessarily follow that Kate and William will leave KP for CH. It is their family home and it's huge. More private comparatively than CH, sitting next to the Mall.

There is no formal hierarchy of houses. It's largely what is available when. There are any number of residences used by the Royal family, or not, but Prince of Wales or Princess Royal does not correspond with an official or even particular residence. When George VI was second son and Duke of York the family lived at 145 Piccadilly. Not a royal property. Back in the day Marlborough House was home to the Prince and Princess of Wales for decades before they became King Edward VI and Queen Alexandra. Alexandra lived there as widow (when not ate Sandringham) as did Queen Mary, again as a widow. Now it is leased by the Crown to the Commonwealth as its HQ. After his separation, Charles took an apartment in St. James' Palace and kept Highgrove, which had been a private home prior to its purchase by Prince Charles prior to his marriage. Bagshot Park, home of Prince Edward and his family, was prior to his lease the HQ for the Royal Army Chaplains' Department.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 47February 18, 2020 12:13 AM

^ Edward VII, sorry.

by Anonymousreply 48February 18, 2020 12:14 AM

As I understand it, given the money spent on renovations to their KP apartment, it was agreed that the Cambridge family would continue to live there after William becomes Prince of Wales.

I am doubtful that Charles will move from Clarence House to Buckingham Palace when he becomes King. The RF all hate BP. Elizabeth did not want to move her young family from Clarence House when she became Queen but she was bullied by the PM Winston Churchill and being so young and such a new Queen, Elizabeth agreed to move to BP. But the entire family were very unhappy with the move.

I would think that Charles, given his age and experience would refuse to move from Clarence House when he takes the throne. Why should he?

BP could then be opened to the public and also used for official functions.

by Anonymousreply 49February 18, 2020 6:08 AM

R49 - You may be right, but there's also the fact that BP has huge symbolic significance for the BRF. I'm not sure that Charles really can do that and set a precedent for monarchs not having to plan themselves there.

I believe the KP deal was that the Cambridges would remain there until Charles ascended the Throne. Once Prince and Princess of Wales, KP is a step down from their own London home with too many others in it; that's what Clarence House is for.

Once the Cambridges move into Clarence House (theoretically), then it is KP that can be turned into offices (which it once held many of, anyway). BP is already open to the public (the Art Gallery) but it has 640 rooms: how many offices for how many staffers could they possibly need?

I think when it's thought about, Charles is going to have to bite the bullet and let the Cambridges, now the Wales', have their own London home. BP is too important significantly as the base for the "working Sovereign" to abandon. Not to mention the huge amount now being spent on its renovation.

by Anonymousreply 50February 18, 2020 12:27 PM

[quote]Cheesy McMansion

Comes with fries?

by Anonymousreply 51February 18, 2020 12:28 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!