Hello and thank you for being a DL contributor. We are changing the login scheme for contributors for simpler login and to better support using multiple devices. Please click here to update your account with a username and password.

Hello. Some features on this site require registration. Please click here to register for free.

Hello and thank you for registering. Please complete the process by verifying your email address. If you can't find the email you can resend it here.

Hello. Some features on this site require a subscription. Please click here to get full access and no ads for $1.99 or less per month.

Sally Field Never Actually Said, "You Like me! You really like me!"

The Everlasting Audacity of Sally Field’s “You Like Me” Speech.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 35February 14, 2020 6:38 PM

When she accepted her second best-actress Oscar for Places in the Heart in 1985, just five years after her first for Norma Rae, Field gave a speech that reflected her gratitude at being recognized by her peers even after getting her start in lowbrow fare she hated, like The Flying Nun. “I haven’t had an orthodox career, and I’ve wanted more than anything to have your respect,” she said that night, adding that she hadn’t really felt the impact of her first Oscar win. “This time I feel it. And I can’t deny the fact that you like me. Right now, you like me!”

But that’s it. Her speech included no admission that she was “so in love” with her brother. No political statement. No sudden drop to the floor to do a series of one-armed push-ups. All it took for Sally Field to become a primordial meme was spontaneously admitting she was happy to be respected....

by Anonymousreply 1February 12, 2020 5:05 PM

This is well known.

by Anonymousreply 2February 12, 2020 5:06 PM

It must be exhausting being a professional victim.

by Anonymousreply 3February 12, 2020 5:08 PM

How did it become common belief that she said the infamous quote? I thought she said it like that until recently.

by Anonymousreply 4February 12, 2020 5:17 PM

If I was a woman winning I would just stand there, say thank you then pull the top of my dress and flash my tits!

by Anonymousreply 5February 12, 2020 5:17 PM

But that's the thing, r1. She *didn't* say, "You RESPECT me," she said you LIKE me. The criticism is that the awards are to show respect for your work, and are not a popularity contest.

by Anonymousreply 6February 12, 2020 5:19 PM

Okay, reading comprehension is everything, I admit. Sally did mention respect in her speech.

r6

by Anonymousreply 7February 12, 2020 5:21 PM

I miss Sally Field. Where's she been?

by Anonymousreply 8February 12, 2020 5:24 PM

Just so's we are all clear OP, we really, really hate YOU for rehashing this tired old non-story.

by Anonymousreply 9February 12, 2020 5:27 PM

She was molested by her stepdad, wasn't she? Must have had a hell of a time.

by Anonymousreply 10February 12, 2020 5:29 PM

Sally Fields

by Anonymousreply 11February 12, 2020 5:30 PM

It didnt help she said really really like the next year giving out best actor.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 12February 12, 2020 5:40 PM

Also; Bette Davis never said "Peter, Peter, Peter!" Cary Grant never said “Judy, Judy, Judy.” Jimmy Cagney never said “Mmmmm, you dirty rat!” And Tony Curtis never uttered “Yondah lies da castle of my foddah.”

by Anonymousreply 13February 12, 2020 5:41 PM

John Malkovich's face in the audience at the end of her speech always cracks me up - he was feeling some major second-hand embarassment for her.

by Anonymousreply 14February 12, 2020 5:45 PM

Sally should have won over AnnE for Lincoln in 2013. She also should have been nominated for Hello, My Name Is Doris.

by Anonymousreply 15February 12, 2020 5:49 PM

Anybody notice who the little girl sitting next to Jon Voight is?

by Anonymousreply 16February 13, 2020 12:52 AM

I think I missed this episode of The Sally Field Programme.

by Anonymousreply 17February 13, 2020 1:05 AM

[quote] If I was a woman winning I would just stand there, say thank you then pull the top of my dress and flash my tits!

I do one better and flash my poosey.

by Anonymousreply 18February 13, 2020 1:07 AM

[quote] Anybody notice who the little girl sitting next to Jon Voight is?

Brad Pitt?

by Anonymousreply 19February 13, 2020 1:16 AM

No, but she was single handedly responsible for the worst failing of psychiatry in the last 200 years.

Has she ever apologized or even acknowledged the damage she did by playing Sybil?

And how millions of lives were ruined because of her promotion of this?

Of course it wasn't intentional but so what? She still did the damage and needs to be condemned for it

by Anonymousreply 20February 13, 2020 1:43 AM

r20, did she know at the time that "Sybil" was bullshit? I believe it was revealed later. Has she spoken about it since the revelations?

by Anonymousreply 21February 13, 2020 3:40 PM

I love Sally Field, but she did not deserve the Oscar for "Places in the Heart"--it should have gone either to Vanessa Redgrave in "The Bostonians" or Judy Davis in "A Passage to India" (neither was going to happen, I realized at the time). But the three American farm movies were boring as hell. Must have been a very weak year for actresses--all five of the nominees are fine actresses, but three were in sub-par movies.

by Anonymousreply 22February 13, 2020 10:28 PM

Back when Oscar winners returned the following year with a nice glow up in hair, makeup and dress. Sally looks almost attractive at R12. I forgot how handsome and divine William Hurt was when I was a kid and he was younger. Was Angelina fucking her daddy then too or just messing with her brother?

Sally Field is rightfully criticized for THAT speech because it was painfully embarrassing. She's acting goofy while gloating. She's so gross. That speech never gets any better.

by Anonymousreply 23February 14, 2020 12:18 AM

R22 Best Actress should have been won by Kathleen Turner that year for two terrific performances: Romancing the Stone and Crimes of Passion. I think she won at least one critics award that year. But it was one of those things where one performance might have canceled the other out in the balloting. Diane Keaton was also great but not nominated for Mrs. Soffel and The Good Mother.

by Anonymousreply 24February 14, 2020 1:12 AM

Pauline Kael made the observation that this speech explained why she became such a limited actress. She wasn't acting to express herself or be an artist, she was acting because she wanted people to like her.

by Anonymousreply 25February 14, 2020 1:20 AM

The fact that she raised such a piece-of-shit of a son makes me think she’s a real loon because he’s horrible.

by Anonymousreply 26February 14, 2020 1:53 AM

R26, what did her son do? I know she has a gay son she's incredibly supportive of.

by Anonymousreply 27February 14, 2020 2:27 AM

He’s the nobody son of one of the more overrated actresses of all time, but has a blue check on Twitter. Cluelessly, he chafes at being only known as Sally Field’s gay son.

A self-proclaimed BernieBro, a gay man who hates Buttigieg more than Joy Reid and Crystal Ball combined, champion of the downtrodden yet tweets shit like this...

Need I go on?

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 28February 14, 2020 2:40 AM

Most gay men (under 70) don't support Buttigieg. Who needs a white racist conservative closet case in charge of anything? Pete is a sleazeball Republican with a wife and a dog.

by Anonymousreply 29February 14, 2020 2:43 AM

Of all the things you accuse Buttigieg of, only his whiteness is true.

Meanwhile Sally Field’s ‘queer’ son is an entitled piece of shit who not only doesn’t know his ass from a hole in the ground but is sanctimonious besides.

by Anonymousreply 30February 14, 2020 2:59 AM

Wow. R29. Seek a psychiatrist. You need medication stat.

by Anonymousreply 31February 14, 2020 4:00 AM

Stop posting from multiple devices, Pete Loon. We all know the truth about mayo pete, the small town official.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 32February 14, 2020 4:27 AM

R32, you have some nerve calling someone a loon.

[quote] Pete Buttigieg is NOT sexy, attractive, or good looking He's a dog. Which wouldn't matter if he wasn't such a racist lil rat faced local elite who sucks big business billionaire's dick. Ex local official Pete is a fake ass log cabin republican and bad representative of democrats and queers. None of the others in the race can stand him. Not because he has a moral high ground or because he's gay. Grow the fuck up. Mayo Pete is a condescending robot voiced little butt fucker for Jesus who thinks only his voice will do. Pete is retrograde. He represents no progress at all for gay people and certainly no progress for Democrats. The fact that so many fat racist white hillbilly fucks support him should tell y'all and all y'all that he's nothing like you. Hopefully he's done soon. Pete's wife is not happy.

[quote] Pete Buttigieg is NOT sexy, attractive, or good looking ^ groan. What decade did this happen R128? You're another Grampa aged Pete fan. We're all voting for whoever isn't Trump. That includes Bernie. I hope it will be. We'll never see Pete in a national campaign again. Not as a Democrat. He's a racist rat faced bad liar. His military service is not a plus. Dude is a classic closet case who now wants to shove his WIFE down your throat. At least the wife is a bit more attractive. Pete would never be cast as the sidekick. He's the weird humorless aspie villain type. A weasel.

You accuse Buttigieg above of being a racist closet case, when in fact you sound like a racist, elitist, homophobe par excellence.

It’s vitriol online from Sanders supporters such as this that has so turned off moderates like myself that I would never consider voting for Bernie or his ilk. Your god has feet of clay and it will all come tumbling down, sooner rather than later.

by Anonymousreply 33February 14, 2020 9:43 AM

Go back to Party City R33.

Offsite Link
by Anonymousreply 34February 14, 2020 6:33 PM

R28, her son was good looking until the bleach job.

by Anonymousreply 35February 14, 2020 6:38 PM
Need more help? Click Here.

Yes indeed, we too use "cookies." Take a look at our privacy/terms or if you just want to see the damn site without all this bureaucratic nonsense, click ACCEPT. Otherwise, you'll just have to find some other site for your pointless bitchery needs.

Become a contributor - post when you want with no ads!